Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: A Recipe for Disaster

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, Heathrowe said:

Well, I am with Simone and was happy that Rhylee went after the chef like a pitbull. He is a giant jerk, and the other women have been holding back since they are stuck in the galley with him.  I am not a Rhylee fan, because she doesn't know when to stop...but I didn't mind her starting it up. As per Ashton-her problem is that she just goes way overboard and doesn't stop. And then Ashton...I got the impression that Rhylee just terrifies him and he was just waiting for her to explode so when she did, he had an oversized reaction. It was not all her fault. The Chef is a condescending douche.  I guess it's not the bosun's job to tell the chef what to do, but it would be nice if someone took him (Kevin?) aside and just told him that he is the problem. Lots of people on this site come down hard on Kate a lot-but I feel like she has been really restrained in her dealings with him-she tells him when he has crossed a line/made her mad but she doesn't go for the jugular like Rhylee did...because she knows they have to continue working together. My heart is also with Simone for having to deal with the creepy primary in an atmosphere like a boat, where there is only so much square footage and it's not really easy to get away. I'm glad nothing worse happened than his drunken stupidity-that was creepy enough. Lastly-who'd have thunk that Courtney would become my favorite character? I love her sarcasm. She's got the whole "velvet glove" thing - I think she will go far in life!

I'm not convinced that Kevin and Kate are really that hostile to each other.  Obviously he talks some trash in his talking heads but I don't think he's personally talked down to her or got into some extended verbal argument with her.

I suspect shady editing.

Because there are other times when she's complimentary of him or being friendly with him, like encouraging him to go on a run after one charter.

If he was talking trash in her face all the time, it's hard to believe she'd remain civil with him.

I also suspect the producers are telling him to "take charge" and do service the way he wants it if he thinks it's necessary.  

In any event, it wasn't his job to scan the menu for keto foods.

Tanner noticed, only second day and Rhylee is staring up shit.  Ashton was wary about her and the first time she blew up, he wasn't going to tolerate it.

So this wasn't about a much-needed putting Kevin in his place because everyone else didn't have the balls to do it thing.  It was about Rhylee being Rhylee.

She belongs in an Alaskan fishing ship.

• Love 10
28 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

You saw what Rhylee was all about 

Rhylee strikes me as a woman who wants every male within shouting distance lusting after her but at the same time, doesn't necessarily want to be treated like a woman and/or sees being treated like a woman (as she perceives it) akin to being discriminated against.  

Last season, she wanted to be just one of the guys with the other deckhands but showed up for an evening out in a sheer shirt with no bra (which Kate noticed and commented on.)  This season, she shows up on the Valor once-again without a bra, something both Brian and Tanner made note of.  Look, she can dress however she likes but I feel like she's sending very mixed signals.  Me personally, I wouldn't show up to meet my boss (Captain Lee) and the other deckhands with my headlights fully apparent.  I also wouldn't be in a screaming match in public (or in private) about Keto and Paleo.  

If this were real and not reality tv, she'd be fired for going off at Ashton, her bosun, that way.  

Looks like, based on the previews, that Rhylee will go after Brian and will probably burn bridges with Courtney in the process.  Girl just doesn't learn.  

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

Looks like, based on the previews, that Rhylee will go after Brian and will probably burn bridges with Courtney in the process.  Girl just doesn't learn

It not about not learning, it's about not giving a shit.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, esco1822 said:

What was with Kevin's comment "Kate understands food being served through a Burger King window, she doesn't realize how much work goes into this." Shots fired. For all everyone's complaining about Kate talking behind people's backs and not to their faces, I appreciate her being direct with Kevin about how she felt. Meanwhile Kevin talks behind her back undermines her and her abilities. If he thinks his service is more important than her meeting with the Captain, he can kindly suck it. 

This is where I suspect producer's shenanigans.

There are no Burger Kings in Australia.  Not sure if there are any in Thailand either.

Kevin did say he spent time in the US.

But if he were coming up with an insult off the top of his head, would he say Burger King or McDonals's which is in Australia?

They could have fed him that insult when he was doing the TH.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Jsage said:

And yet another reason this season has made me decide to never visit Thailand!

I'm going to Thailand in a few months, including the Phucket area for a couple of days.

The danger of infections didn't occur to me when I planned the trip.  Instead, I was in Australia when there were reports of flesh-eating bacteria cases near Melbourne.

Actually the thing which would spook me in Thailand are monkeys.  They can be aggressive and they will take your stuff.  I saw monkeys in Bali and there was a huge crowd of tourist but then there were like 3 or 4 monkeys coming out of the bushes to see the commotion of people.  They seemed to strut like gangsters looking for a confrontation.  Must have been alpha males, marking their territory.  They're about the size of a cat but they're strong and have been known to bite.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, scrb said:

There are no Burger Kings in Australia.  Not sure if there are any in Thailand either.

Kevin is from New Zealand where there are Burger Kings the only reason that they don’t have them in Australia is because of a licensing issue with a local burger restaurant but Hungry Jacks is a Burger King franchise. Though it doesn’t really matter because Kevin is a Kiwi and they are called Burger Kings there. There are also many in Thailand.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 4
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, pasdetrois said:

Why didn't Brian speak up and insist that he see a doctor? Even if they were away from shore, it could have been arranged. Makes me wonder about production shenanigans.

I don’t understand the delay but I don’t think it was production shenanigans because most productions are fairly risk adverse when it comes to opening themselves up to a lawsuit which if Brian ended up having permanent damage and they denied him access to medical care would be a nightmare for them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Shred them, Rhylee. I completely understand your anger all the time. Dealing with misogynist assholes is exhausting and this crew is full of them. The shit she must deal with her job infuriates me as a viewer. The “act like the bigger person” is bullshit. All that does is let the asshole get away with they’re behaviour. And they will steamroll over someone who reacts to their shit nicely. So again, shred them, Rhylee. So glad you’re back. 

Captain Lee should have stopped the primary from harassing Simone and dealt with Brian’s knee far earlier. He is not doing his job. 

• Love 14
42 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

I meant distorting the timeline from the injury to treatment. Maybe he was treated sooner than the episodes indicate.

We can tell by a lot of things that it wasn’t immediate, we know it was bad before Rhylee got there and we know that the doctor didn’t come until after the charter left. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, biakbiak said:

That is why I hate it when the guests regardless of gender sexualize the crew. The imbalance of power and the fact that a tip is at the end of the charter creates an environment where people feel they have to suck it up and ignore harassment at work.

I agree with you 100%. The crew should never have to feel uncomfortable in order to secure a good tip. These guests needed to be reported to Captain Lee and removed from the boat.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, spunky said:

I agree with you 100%. The crew should never have to feel uncomfortable in order to secure a good tip. These guests needed to be reported to Captain Lee and removed from the boat.

It’s a fine line in the hospitality industry and even Lee puts up with it for the tips, see the previous charter where the women were handsy with him.

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It’s a fine line in the hospitality industry and even Lee puts up with it for the tips, see the previous charter where the women were handsy with him.

I would've been fired if I had to tolerate sexual harassment in order to get a tip. It's just disgusting that they have to put up with that sort of behavior.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, scrb said:

This is where I suspect producer's shenanigans.

Kevin did say he spent time in the US.

But if he were coming up with an insult off the top of his head, would he say Burger King or McDonals's which is in Australia?

They could have fed him that insult when he was doing the TH.

I believe Kevin is a New Zealander, and there are Burger Kings there, according to Mr Google.

Oops, see this has already been covered.

Edited by lizajane
should read posts first!
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, scrb said:

She’s obviously an asshole but how did they know Kevin would clash with her?   

I'd say it was a sure bet since Kevin clashes with all women; he definitely seems to be a mysoginistic asshole. Notice he's always cool with his "bro's," never seems to have conflict with them but if a woman did the exact same thing, he'd be all condescending and assholish. The only man he's had conflict with is Captain Lee, and that's because Captain Lee doesn't kiss his ass and fawn all over him. Kevin also clearly has a big power and control issue.

Rhylee, I was rooting for you, but you just can't seem to control that mouth of yours. I wish Ross had been the one to return.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, newms said:

Shred them, Rhylee. I completely understand your anger all the time. Dealing with misogynist assholes is exhausting and this crew is full of them. The shit she must deal with her job infuriates me as a viewer. The “act like the bigger person” is bullshit. All that does is let the asshole get away with they’re behaviour. And they will steamroll over someone who reacts to their shit nicely. So again, shred them, Rhylee. So glad you’re back. 

I’m with you. I don’t necessarily love Rhylee, but I felt for her last year when the deck crew kept telling her to calm down when she was speaking rationally at a normal volume. And why is Kevin such a prick? Just order chicken satay without the sauce & chill. He has spoken down to Kate, Simone, & Rhylee now. Someone upthread said he wanted to be in with the “cool guys”. He will never speak down to them. 

Capt Lee tweeted something about how Simone should have taken the garter off to not encourage the primary. Extremely bad take Lee. 

Edited by jmcd44
I can’t space paragraphs apparently.
  • Love 11

Kevin, I cannot believe your reaction to Rylee asking you to order something Paleo or Keto for her. You were ordering for the table anyway. I would take it as a compliment if someone asked me to order for them. He has to be one of the world’s most misogynistic assholes. I would love to see Kate make your job difficult. I hope you go and take Ashton with you.

When did serving steaks equal masculinity?

• Love 9
47 minutes ago, pieinmyeye said:

Kevin, I cannot believe your reaction to Rylee asking you to order something Paleo or Keto for her. You were ordering for the table anyway. I would take it as a compliment if someone asked me to order for them. He has to be one of the world’s most misogynistic assholes. I would love to see Kate make your job difficult. I hope you go and take Ashton with you.

When did serving steaks equal masculinity?

Based on the fact that he told her to order a salad I think there is a good chance he doesn’t know what a keto or paleo diet is so he just should have said that. However, Rhylee also clearly doesn’t know what the hell she was talking about because neither are something that work when you just do it causally it’s all about balancing things.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9

I really like Courtney now.  I kinda want her to speed up her training and take over as chief stew on BDM.

I don't get Tanner calling every woman on the boat a cougar, even Simone.  She said she is 29 and my cursory internet search turns up an age of 26 for Tanner.  Three years older does hardly a cougar make.  And even though Courtney may comport herself as someone older, she's his same damn age.  And for the record, Tanner looks old for 26--could be all that chain smoking with his grandmother.

Too bad the filming dates & locations didn't line up, because with that dust-up at the restaurant, I really needed Kam from Dallas to come over, tell Kevin & Rhylee they were breaking the Thai rule of no public altercations, and call them trash. LOL.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3

I actually felt a little bad for Rhylee.  Kevin was being a jerk, and it felt like she took the brunt of the blame for a situation she didn't start.  Yes, you can say things escalated well beyond where they should have over something so small, and both Rhylee and Kevin need to learn a lesson about when to walk away.  Having said that, both Kevin and Ashton's nastiness was unwarranted.  

5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I think it's a difficult situation all around.  The crew is supposed to be friendly, welcoming and ready to serve the guests as needed.  Add a stadium full of never-ending alcohol to the mix, and you suddenly have guests who are handsy or confusing the friendliness of the staff for something more.  That doesn't mean the staff is at fault when the guests start crossing the line, but I do see how things can end up the way they do without there necessarily being a villain.   

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Ashton's nastiness was unwarranted.

Also, Ashton started setting her up for failure the second he heard she was coming and started talking to Brian and Tanner about her issues before she arrived. I also imagine he talked to Kevin about her since they room together and Kevin came out strong.

I am not absolving of how Rhylee reacts but it’s not like Ashton didn’t sow the seeds for how her crew mates were going to view her before she arrived.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 10

Tanner's single-minded focus on hooking up with Kate...no... Simone...no...Rhylee... Rhylee or Simone...looks like Rhylee is interested in Brian...eh...Simone makes me think that he came on the ship/show looking for a showmance. There's something slightly more noble in Ashton plainly stating he wants to get his rocks off. If we reverse the half your age plus 7 guideline, Tanner doesn't get to call any woman he's interested in a cougar unless she's over 38.

"Hey Tanner, this girl has the same exact birthday as you. She was even born at 7:42am too."

Tanner: "Thailand is 12 hours ahead of Long Island. That means she's older. A cougar. Nice. Rawr rawr."

Me: "You're an idiot."

Edited by HunterHunted
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3

Shred them, Rhylee. I completely understand your anger all the time. Dealing with misogynist assholes is exhausting and this crew is full of them. The shit she must deal with her job infuriates me as a viewer.

So agree with this. Rhylee doesn't need permission from her crewmates, production or viewers to push back - HARD - when a man or men are patronizing her, abusing their positions, insulting her, ganging up on her, manipulating her. She's doing what other women can't do, or are afraid to do. She's trying to meet the men's unprofessional behavior head-on, without giving an inch. They will still hate her, but they may back off some of the more egregious behavior, They are cowardly little turds, clustering in their juvenile groups to bitch and complain and encourage each other's misogynistic behavior.

Kate asked "chef" to order for the group. As he was doing so, Rhylee simply asked for a specific kind of food. He launched into a tirade and she refused to back down.

Unfortunately Kate and the other women did not support her. Kate is in a power position with production, so she had nothing to lose. Cowardly Ashton, always waiting to see which way the misogynist wind is blowing, jumped in as soon as the bro turds were alone.

Combined with Simone's stalker, who was allowed to harass her, this show is developing a foul stench. The women need hazard pay.

Kate handled Kevin like a champ. He didn't know how to respond to her mature, rational discussion.

Where the hell was Captain Lee? Does Kate storm off the boat because he has turned into Bravo's chump?

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 8

Kevin has the guys walk the steaks to the table, tells them they did a great job and he's going to buy them a beer. It was like the women, who are the actual servers didn't exist.

I have such violent thoughts when that prick appears. I can't stand the fucking sight of him. 

• Love 17
17 minutes ago, Mr. Miner said:

Kevin has the guys walk the steaks to the table, tells them they did a great job and he's going to buy them a beer. It was like the women, who are the actual servers didn't exist.

I have such violent thoughts when that prick appears. I can't stand the fucking sight of him. 

When they show the preview for the rest of the season there's a clip of Captain Lee firing someone , let's hope it's Kevin. 

• Love 8
On 11/26/2019 at 7:34 AM, terrymct said:

With some charters, I wonder what the guests will think when they see themselves on TV.  This primary was such a consistent a$% that I suspect he won't find a single thing wrong.   This had to be about the grossest bunch of guests yet....even beating out the ones who come hoping to promote dodgy businesses or launch ill advised rap careers.    This is the worst of Frat "culture" that's been extended way, way, way past it's sell by date.  Grow the heck up, people.

I hope that he will at least be embarrassed by the fact that Kate reassigned Simone to laundry to protect her from him.

• Love 2
On 11/26/2019 at 1:33 PM, dleighg said:

Well to be honest, I think Kate said "Kevin why don't you order for us." And in that case Rylee should have said "could you please order A and B, just for me? Thanks so much!" And I think Kevin even said that's what she should have done after she blew up. It's like she WANTED to make a scene, at least after he blew off her request the first time. That's when she should have stepped back and said "Ok fine, since you're not down on choosing something for me, could I just have ....." 

While watching I got the impression that chef douche  didn't know what paleo was and since he knows everything and is always right he got defensive. He and Rylee are both overreactive and I'm no fan of hers, but if she's going to take him on I say go for it. 

• Love 9

The Dud of the Seas really stepped in it on Twitter. He implied that Simone was partly at fault for the harassment because of the garter and that she should never have worn it. He got immediate pushback from Simone, Rhylee and even Abbi that he was blaming the victim. Doesn’t he know that it is not what a women wears that sets off a jerkoff like the primary? Does he want them to wear a burka? Way to support your crew there Chief.

Just another proof that Captain Crunch is a cliche spouting fraud.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • Love 9
22 hours ago, newms said:

Shred them, Rhylee. I completely understand your anger all the time. Dealing with misogynist assholes is exhausting and this crew is full of them. The shit she must deal with her job infuriates me as a viewer.

IMO, Rhylee is looking for perceived slights everywhere. Kevin was kind of a dick, but Tanner did nothing and she barked at him as well. Tanner has shown himself to be nothing but a sweetheart and very helpful. Ashton was trying to be reasonable with her and she flipped out on him as well. 

I think Kevin may be a bit of a misogynist, but I don't see it from anyone on the deck crew. Not this season, nor her previous season either. Sometimes dudes can be pricks, without it having to do with you being a woman. But I think that's what Rhylee wants to see. Every time. Instead of being introspective and figuring out how HER behavior contributes to the issues, she just takes the easy way out - "They're treating me badly because I'm a GIRL." No, it's because you're an ass. 

• Love 17

I do agree that Capt. Lee waited too long to get a doctor. However, I think there might have been some confusion over the kind of injury that Brian had. No one saw what happened (I mean, except the camera crew) and perhaps Ashton and Lee assumed it was a physical problem, like had had twisted or sprained it? It wasn't until it started getting hot and red that anyone seemed super concerned. Maybe they were just thinking a couple days rest and it would start healing. 

(Or I could just be giving them too much credit.)

Was it Below Deck or Below Deck: Med where there were some questionable charter guests in the past -- maybe a couple trying to proposition one of the stews? I didn't think the Chief Stew handled it well, but I felt like Kate did a little better this time around. That may have been Hannah though.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

IMO, Rhylee is looking for perceived slights everywhere. Kevin was kind of a dick, but Tanner did nothing and she barked at him as well. Tanner has shown himself to be nothing but a sweetheart and very helpful. Ashton was trying to be reasonable with her and she flipped out on him as well. 

I think Kevin may be a bit of a misogynist, but I don't see it from anyone on the deck crew. Not this season, nor her previous season either. Sometimes dudes can be pricks, without it having to do with you being a woman. But I think that's what Rhylee wants to see. Every time. Instead of being introspective and figuring out how HER behavior contributes to the issues, she just takes the easy way out - "They're treating me badly because I'm a GIRL." No, it's because you're an ass. 

Agree, especially with the bolded. I knew it was too good. The crew (sans Kevin and Smashton) had a great vibe going. Everyone was getting along (except Kevin, and so far he's been semi-tolerable). Even Abbi wasn't that bad. If she had just tied her hair back and been more conscientious about her radio, without taking it so personally, she'd have worked out fine. Rhylee is one of those people that is ALWAYS on the defensive, looking for an excuse to perceive anything and everything as a personal attack, and then she goes ballistic. I wish they had brought Ross back instead.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Kate asked "chef" to order for the group. As he was doing so, Rhylee simply asked for a specific kind of food. He launched into a tirade and she refused

But Keto/paleo isn’t a specific kind of food. It’s not like saying I am lactose intolerant, or have a gluten issue, or being a vegetarian. One they aren’t the exact same thing, two there are different rules that not everyone knows and Rhylee just kept saying keto/paleo which was not helpful at all and by the way she kept saying that over and over again I don’t even know if she knows what she meant.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7

Kate did ask Kevin to order some appetizers for the table (she's done the same with Ben and/or Adrian).  Kevin, the foodie that he is, suggested three orders of chicken satay.  That's when Rhylee injected.  Someone (might have been Rhylee) suggested prawns.  Kevin was immediately defensive and Rhylee stayed explaining that she wanted something paleo/keto friendly and it just exploded from there.  Both have issues, but Rhylee was not wrong for making a suggestion.  Kevin's initial reaction was over the top, IMO.

I've been giving Kevin a ton a side eye.  At first I just thought he was arrogant, but something about the way he treats in the interior gives me pause.  For example, when he wanted everything out at the time for dinner.  Why did the men have to carry the steaks?  They're not as familiar with the guests, their food preferences, and serving in general.  Why not have the stews carry the entrees, the deck crew could have come with the sides and then handed them to the stews to serve.  

I have to applaud how Kate has been trying to work with/handle Kevin.  She's been nothing but friendly and complimentary to him.   I hope that she now takes the gloves off and gives him what he really deserves. 

I put a lot of the blame on Bryan for the slow medical treatment.  He knew the knee was bad and getting worse, he should've asked to see a Dr rather than downplay like he did. 

• Love 12
16 hours ago, snarts said:

That's when Rhylee injected.  Someone (might have been Rhylee) suggested prawns.  Kevin was immediately defensive and Rhylee stayed explaining that she wanted something paleo/keto friendly and it just exploded from there.  Both have issues, but Rhylee was not wrong for making a suggestion.  Kevin's initial reaction was over the top, IMO.

I do think Kevin was a dick but asking for keto/paleo at a Thai restaurant where a lot of the dishes are going to contain sugar because a lot of dishes balance hot, sour, salty and sweet is going to be difficult. I mean in theory the chicken satay might be one of the closest things on the menu to being keto/paleo depending on the marinade because the sauce is typically on the side. So bringing it up right after that also leads me to suspect that Rhylee doesn’t know what keto/paleo actually means other than being trendy diets which makes the request  extra annoying. She was drinking like a fish and those drinks contains carbs and sugar, the only way the diets work for the people they work for is if you commit it’s not like watching your calories. In general if you are actually on a speciality diet or have food allergies I think it’s on you to make suggestions for things you can eat if the table is going to share or just order separately.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

She was drinking like a fish and those drinks contains carbs and sugar, the only way the diets work for the people they work for is if you comment it’s not like watching your calories.

Which is why she also said she wanted to drink her carbs rather than eating them.

Prawns, like someone suggested, assuming they were broiled/grilled, would be a good option. 

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, snarts said:

Which is why she also said she wanted to drink her carbs rather than eating them.

Prawns, like someone suggested, assuming they were broiled/grilled, would be a good option. 

But neither keto or paleo diets (Which aren’t the same) work that way. They are elimination diets not replacement diets (ie with calories). Thai prawns can also have a marinade so that could have been just as problematic as the chicken satay. Also, when the person, I think Tanner, suggested prawns Rhylee didn’t say yes she just said I want something keto/paleo.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Tanner's single-minded focus on hooking up with Kate...no... Simone...no...Rhylee... Rhylee or Simone...looks like Rhylee is interested in Brian...eh...Simone makes me think that he came on the ship/show looking for a showmance. There's something slightly more noble in Ashton plainly stating he wants to get his rocks off. If we reverse the half your age plus 7 guideline, Tanner doesn't get to call any woman he's interested in a cougar unless she's over 38.

"Hey Tanner, this girl has the same exact birthday as you. She was even born at 7:42am too."

Tanner: "Thailand is 12 hours ahead of Long Island. That means she's older. A cougar. Nice. Rawr rawr."

Me: "You're an idiot."

I thought Simone said she was 39?

8 minutes ago, dangwoodchucks said:

Kevin, you cook for the crew not just the charter guests. Rhylee is part of the crew,  therefore you kinda are Rhylee’s chef. Asswipe.

Not on their off night at a restaurant and she apparently ate a day of meals that he made without bringing it up. 

7 minutes ago, Jextella said:

I thought Simone said she was 39?

Edited by biakbiak

Doesn’t matter if Rhylee happens to be “right” about a particular argument.

It’s how she conducts herself in all arguments and the fact that she chooses to get in every argument she could.

Once she sinks her teeth into someone, she’s like a pit bull.

• Love 18