Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

If Mac or Robert or even Nurse Amy had that line, it would be more impactful IMO.  Nik's son is Sonny's nephew, so of course he's going to say something like that. Britt indulged Nik's brat son when they were a couple and still thinks Spencer is a "great kid." Well, that "great kid"  adores his "Uncle Sonny" and is influenced by him, so Britt's words ring hollow to me.  She claims she and Spencer talk, so it's not like she had/has no idea that the kid looks up to Sonny. 

But it wasn’t Spencer who was saying this. It was Nikolas. There’s definitely been a shift within the last 5 years where no one can say anything remotely negative about Sonny anymore. A lot of these older characters weren’t blind to Sonny’s faults 10 years ago even though Sonny still won all of the time. 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

There’s definitely been a shift within the last 5 years where no one can say anything remotely negative about Sonny anymore.

This has been the case for longer than five years, IMO. I really don't understand it, tbh. If viewers like Sonny, a few characters saying he's a terrible person isn't going to change that. What really sucks is that characters who have a legit beef against Sonny aren't allowed to hold that without being mocked. I'm thinking of Monica and Scott especially. This "Sonny must be loved by everyone and at all costs" belief really hamstrings the show. But the show hasn't been interested in anyone but Sonny for ages, to its detriment.

• Love 14
On 10/10/2020 at 12:17 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Let me know when Robert, Jackie, and Anna are back onscreen.

I feel the same way--I have such wonderfully fond memories of the great storylines in the late eighties, especially the wonderful partnership between Anna, Robert and Sean--those were the days :):)

I'm unashamed to admit that I'm here for the Dante/Lulu drama and I especially loved his calling Dustin everything but he's correct name.  That is some fabulously passive aggressive bitchiness. 

I like Britt as a truth-teller. especially towards Nicholas and his weird relationship with Ava by why does it feel like Julian isn't actually involved in his own story?  The man could be an interesting anti-hero but the writers seemed determined to keep him on the sidelines.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Benji said:

Where has Laura/Genie Francis been ? Now that Dante is back, I would expect to see some mother/daughter scenes with her and Lulu. 

She just tweeted that she’s on her way back to LA and I presume, GH. So we should be seeing her in the next month or so. Maybe sooner.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, statsgirl said:
7 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Britt:  (with a giant eye roll) Right (said with sarcasm), Sonny is the "good" mobster. Grow up

Definitely the highlight of the show.  But they keep teasing me with truth-telling and then going back to glorifying Sonny.

I had a different take on that line, re it was the writers trolling the audience--like, 'haha, we know what you think and guess what? WE DON'T CARE!"

Carly with Lil' Sam behind her "yeah, what she said"ing in the Gladys scene was so embarrassing.  Here are these two women who are only in the position of wealth they're in because of their criminal husbands and they're looking down their noses at Gladys?  Please.

Also, hell froze over today because I agreed with everything Lulu said to Dante.  I'm reminding myself that even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I always thought DZ was short but then I saw Mark Lawson standing next to him and Lawson is even shorter. I thought Emme Ryalan did a good job with his return and letting him know it was he who told her to move on. It’s been a year and a half (I didn’t realize DZ had been gone that long) and, she needed sex and was moving on. I’m looking forward to seeing it play out. As long, as we don’t have to watch a whole bunch of dream scenes of Dante potentially shooting people.  I know Dante is tortured but I don’t need to be tortured, too. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I thought Emme Ryalan did a good job with his return and letting him know it was he who told her to move on. I

I've been following ER since her Y&R days and that was the best acting she's ever done IMO. Would be nice if she could sustain it, but we can't have nice things here.

Cool to see some of my fellow old-timers excited about having Jackie Templeton back. The only thing better would have been to get Demi Moore back as the ultimate stunt casting. Anyone else remember when Jackie had a thing for Luke and he rejected her?

• Love 4
13 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I especially loved his calling Dustin everything but he's correct name. 

I found that so childish, like something Sonny would do. Or Julian has, with Ned.  It'snever funny and Dante is better than that.  

7 hours ago, ByaNose said:

It’s been a year and a half

I was shocked that it's only been a year and a half, and I loved her anger that his "move on because I'm gone forever" lasted a lousy 18 months.  

• Love 8

Respect: That was the best scene I've ever seen between DZ and the ER Lulu. They stepped up. 

What state is it that Nelle's body was found in? I know they've probably said it, but I think it needs to be more clearly emphasized.

• LOL 6
  • Love 7

No surprise, I liked the Britt/Nikolas scenes.  I think Kelly Thiebaud and Marcus Coloma did a nice job with the exes rapport - spikey, but with a sense that they still care under the surface.

And obviously, Britt's truth telling about Sonny "the good mobster" was delightful.  Yes, they stuck that line in her mouth because she's an antagonist character and thus we're supposed to dismiss it, but it was still just nice to hear it out loud on this show for once. 

14 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I especially loved his calling Dustin everything but his correct name. 

I agree with @perkie1968 that I found that so childish, and it's a not-funny running joke this show has done so many times now, with Todd and AJ, with Julian and Ned.  Like, come up with a new bit, Show.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

it's a not-funny running joke this show has done so many times now, with Todd and AJ, with Julian and Ned.  Like, come up with a new bit, Show.

Also, it fit the personalities of the earlier guys better. It seems off-brand for Dante (who's not really "snarky") in the best of times, let alone this traumatized, haunted Dante who just had an unpleasant surprise.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I'm unashamed to admit that I'm here for the Dante/Lulu drama and I especially loved his calling Dustin everything but he's correct name.  That is some fabulously passive aggressive bitchiness. 

So far I really like how it's been written, though Dante's passive-aggressiveness about Dustin's reminds me a bit too much of Julian constantly calling Ned "Ted." (As others have pointed out.) And given that Dante is the one who forced the divorce, it's a bit much. My favorite part was Lulu's grief at Dante coming back after 18 months when he said it would be forever, and she pointed out both of them could have waited if they'd only known. That was really good writing. And yes, the acting was good, too.

Add me to list of people who don't want to see Dante constantly dreaming of pulling guns on people. We get it, Show, he's not himself and has been programmed for something. They really beat this stuff into the ground.

I hope Olivia doesn't go ballistic on Lulu when Olivia finds out Dante is back. Work on your own relationship, Liv. 

10 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I had a different take on that line, re it was the writers trolling the audience--like, 'haha, we know what you think and guess what? WE DON'T CARE!"

This is always a legit possibility.

1 hour ago, Winston Wolfe said:
1 hour ago, Asp Burger said:

What state is it that Nelle's body was found in?

I think it was on the Pennsylvania side of some river...if only they weren't so vague about it so the viewers could follow along.😆

Are you sure it was Pennsylvania? They rarely mention the state.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

😂😝

59 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Oh gawd, I hope Nelle didn't wash up in Pine Valley or Llanview!

Are they still forbidden to say Pine Valley or Llanview? Either way, her "body" was brought to the morgue at GH, where Chase was walking all over, telling all and sundry that he was there to confirm confirm that it was Nelle, who was "positively identified" when her body was found and so he's just going to, you know, go look. And the looking was all offscreen.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Does it really matter where she was found?  Shouldn't the how of her death be more important than the where ?  They keep mentioning it like i'm supposed to have  a lightbulb moment of "oh, the Pennsilvania side, well that changes everything".  I don't know if I'm just so dumb that I'm not getting the revelation or if there's nothing more to it, than she wasn't found on the PC side of No Name River That Never Existed Before.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The name thing is silly, especially since Dustin can just use those names for Dante. We'll probably get an episode of them at the gym throwing D names at each other.

Edited by ulkis
  • LOL 2

The name thing with Dante was passive-aggressive and immature, as others have pointed out but for me, I'm okay with it as long as it is just a one-time thing. If they drag it out like they did with Julian's asinine "Ted" thing it will get more than old. I liked Lulu's reaction the last time he did it where she figured out he was doing it on purpose and she should probably be annoyed by it, but couldn't help smiling.

So glad Lulu let Dante have it. I get that Dante's head was/is messed up and it's got to be awkward/upsetting to be so visibly confronted with the woman you love having moved on (especially with someone as ripped as Dustin is) but the bitch face and "how dare you" attitude he had during the first half of the episode was too much for someone who forced the divorce on Lulu. Those were great scenes.

This show does pointless things all the time but I don't know why they had Dante ask Sonny to keep it from Olivia that he's back, even having Sonny flashback to it as if it was some important plot point. Dante is clearly sticking around and I can't imagine he'll hide from Olivia and he didn't ask Lulu to keep it quiet.

Unless Olivia knew Ned and Alexis had sex and was deliberately trying to needle them (which is clearly not the case) I don't know why she was so hell-bent on getting specifics on how Ned and Alexis helped each other. Alexis already said Ned was a friend and listened to her. Not sure why she needed more details than that.

It was so obvious Alexis was drunk and I'm glad that Sam, and Olivia, know about it and at least the secret part of this storyline won't get dragged out.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Unless Olivia knew Ned and Alexis had sex and was deliberately trying to needle them (which is clearly not the case) I don't know why she was so hell-bent on getting specifics on how Ned and Alexis helped each other. Alexis already said Ned was a friend and listened to her. Not sure why she needed more details than that.

In case viewers were unclear that sex had happened. As if the guilty looks and stupid answers Ned and Alexis were giving weren't clues enough that Something Was Going On. 

1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

Does it really matter where she was found?  Shouldn't the how of her death be more important than the where ?  They keep mentioning it like i'm supposed to have  a lightbulb moment of "oh, the Pennsilvania side, well that changes everything".

It's a setup for Nelle to not be dead. Those incompetent Pennsylvania cops! He's been yakking about it for a week, but I don't think Chase has actually gone to the morgue to ID the body, has he? On- or offscreen? He keeps getting pulled away to other things.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

This show does pointless things all the time but I don't know why they had Dante ask Sonny to keep it from Olivia that he's back,

I'm assuming so he'd have time to show up at LUlu's and catch her by surprise.  Had Olivia known he was in town, she would have hot footed it over there faster than the speed of light.  Now that he's seen LUlu, I'm assuming he's heading over to see Olivia.  Because Mom is always the last to know anything.  We carried you for nine months for cryin' out loud!!!!

41 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Unless Olivia knew Ned and Alexis had sex and was deliberately trying to needle them

LiLo was certainly playing it like she knew but that might just be because she read the script!  and not that Olivia had guessed.  

I still really hate Peter. And I think I finally managed to put my finger on why I hate him so much. The acting just comes off as 100% insincere in everything he says and does. It's like he's auditioning for the part of the boyfriend or the part of the son and trying very hard to land the role. He cannot act.

But hey, now he and Maxie are engaged, which is completely gross, but I'm still looking forward to that whole thing blowing up in everybody's faces. I resent the writers having Britt be on the cheering squad for a character as wretched as Peter is.

BLQ might be a brat, but I find the people around her who keep talking about her singing and how she can sing and all that stuff to be huge assholes. I find the levels of insensitiveness are off the charts. She still has the bandage on her throat for fuck's sake.

I don't care about Sacha. I liked Chase's scenes with his mom, but that's because I really like Chase. The Anna / Finn scene were not bad either. But Anna will chicken out because that's what she does now, chicken out..

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

It's a setup for Nelle to not be dead. Those incompetent Pennsylvania cops! He's been yakking about it for a week, but I don't think Chase has actually gone to the morgue to ID the body, has he? On- or offscreen? He keeps getting pulled away to other things.

As I stated above, it was done off-screen. I forget who the x-number person he told that her body was "positively identified on the coast of Pennsylvania" or whatever he said, but that her body was now in the Morgue and he was headed there to "tie up the loose ends."

Next time we saw him was at the bar where Ned started the fight with Valentin.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

As I stated above, it was done off-screen. I forget who the x-number person he told that her body was "positively identified on the coast of Pennsylvania" or whatever he said, but that her body was now in the Morgue and he was headed there to "tie up the loose ends."

Has Chase himself identified Nelle's body, though? That's my question. If someone else has said it's Nelle, I remain skeptical she's actually dead dead.

Maxie, you don't have to accept Britt as your doctor if you don't want. The plot points are so clumsy. Just have Britt break HIPAA and look at Maxie's file online. (I know, they don't want to pay for another actor.)

Ugh, why is Chase lying to his mom about WIllow? Jackie can handle the truth, and I doubt she cares about the ins and outs except for how stupid the whole thing is.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Has Chase himself identified Nelle's body, though? That's my question. If someone else has said it's Nelle, I remain skeptical she's actually dead dead.

Supposedly, he did. But as I stated above, it wasn't onscreen, so that's a clear indication she's not really dead (as you posited); and no, he didn't make the rounds to tell everyone that the body was, indeed "Janelle."

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Maxie, you don't have to accept Britt as your doctor if you don't want. The plot points are so clumsy. Just have Britt break HIPAA and look at Maxie's file online. (I know, they don't want to pay for another actor.)

They need the money to pay for another Sonny relative or Jason enemy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I’m from Pennsylvania (Philly) and, even I’m tired of hearing Nelle was found on the Pennsylvania side......OMG! show! We know! We know! That has to be the worst piece of dialogue ever repeated and I’m not even sure how impertinent it is to the storyline. 🛑!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

That has to be the worst piece of dialogue ever repeated and I’m not even sure how impertinent it is to the storyline. 🛑

I'm sorry, but I just 😝when I read the bolded. Did you mean important? Because impertinent means something totally different!

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I still really hate Peter. And I think I finally managed to put my finger on why I hate him so much. The acting just comes off as 100% insincere in everything he says and does. It's like he's auditioning for the part of the boyfriend or the part of the son and trying very hard to land the role. He cannot act.

But hey, now he and Maxie are engaged, which is completely gross, but I'm still looking forward to that whole thing blowing up in everybody's faces. I resent the writers having Britt be on the cheering squad for a character as wretched as Peter is.

THIS!  I was watching Peter today try and have a freak out over worrying about being like Faison and it just felt very forced and it does not help that he was sharing scenes with Maxie and Britt whose actresses are quite good.  And seriously, if Peter is sent spiraling into the darkside because Alex may be his mother, then I guess he wasn't meant to be a good guy after all.

On the other hand, I massively love how Finn is visibly annoyed whenever Anna mentions that Valentin is helping her deal with Alex, like he can't deal with yet another enamored man in his fiance's orbit--it's the little things that cause me to smile 🙂

I'm also kind of starting to dislike Julian--he genuinely only cares for himself and he's not even bothered that his sister's being served up to a serial killer.  I hope Sonny decides to "take care of him" for just being some insanely gutless.

55 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I’m from Pennsylvania (Philly) and, even I’m tired of hearing Nelle was found on the Pennsylvania side......OMG! show! We know! We know! That has to be the worst piece of dialogue ever repeated and I’m not even sure how impertinent it is to the storyline. 🛑!

First, representing the Philly suburbs yo!  And second, it might be important in that Nell could wind up working in a little diner in PA because of her tragic amnesia 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I'm not now and never have been a fan of Britt's--or the actress's--but KT is clearly having a blast since she's been back and that makes me like her scenes.  It's a nice change from either traipsing around scenes like you're god's gift to acting (MB) or acting like being on set is a condition of your parole (KeMo).

• LOL 8
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I resent the writers having Britt be on the cheering squad for a character as wretched as [LWB/FS] is.

It really sucks.  Britt would actually be the perfect person to point out how creepy it is that LWB/FS helped engineer Nathan's death and now has basically taken over his life.  But nope, she thinks he's the bee's knees, even though he was super shitty about her criminal background when they first met even though his, even at that time, was 10x worse.

And Maxie being such a snot to Britt when she's sitting next to, having a baby with, and now proposing (!?!?) to the man who helped engineer the death of her last husband and baby daddy is a little rich.

At least this proposal means we're heading towards some kind of disaster or unmasking for LWB/FS, thank gawd.

• Love 3

This show got a legitimate laugh from me for the first time in months when Britt interrupted Maxie and Peter's proposal scene.  I really hope that they keep her around.  She is bringing the snark and the funny right now.

• Love 9

At this point, Brook Lynn wearing that giant bandage on her neck is like saying "Look at me!  I got hurt!" It's so unsubtle.

The Sasha actress is pretty bad at acting, but she is beautiful.

If I were Chase, I wouldn't want to admit that I lost the love of my life to Michael Corinthos either.

23 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Yeah, that's how I read it too. And they keep doing it, deliberately thumbing their noses at me.

11 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Does it really matter where she was found?  Shouldn't the how of her death be more important than the where ?

I think they're done milking Carly's guilt, although if the manner of Nelle's death came out the police should be looking at Carly.. Now they're going to do Nina's. At least they let her give her a decent burial, although I love the reference to Potter's Field.

How long does it take a body to float over to the Pennsylvania side?  Shouldn't she be really gross by now?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, drtslim said:

This show got a legitimate laugh from me for the first time in months when Britt interrupted Maxie and Peter's proposal scene.  I really hope that they keep her around.  She is bringing the snark and the funny right now.

As Maxie was proposing, I was wondering if the show forgot that Britt was in that office and would later claim that Britt left the office during the commercial. So to have Britt grab a tissue because she got to witness the proposal was made of WIN for me.

• Love 2

Were they giving Deception's (cheesy) presentation in the middle of the Metro Court restaurant?   Other than so Amy can lurk (and sing) around corners, Why???

Jackie boring, FinnAnna boring, proposal boring, Jax/Nina boring. 

Ryan doesn't need bad hair so the audience can tell him apart from Kevin.  The missing hand should be enough. 

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, nilyank said:

So to have Britt grab a tissue because she got to witness the proposal was made of WIN for me.

I actually burst our laughing.  Also when Maxie asked if Britt was going to advise Peter on his other health risks said "now that would be ridiculous", I laughed at that too.  Like others I am enjoying Britt stepping right into Obrecht"s  snarky shoes

• Love 5
15 hours ago, ByaNose said:

’m from Pennsylvania (Philly) and, even I’m tired of hearing Nelle was found on the Pennsylvania side.

I"m from Ontario so I had to consult Google maps.  What river are they talking about? Are they implying that Nelle went over Niagara Falls and floated down Lake Erie and washed up in Pennsylvania?  Did she float down the Port Charles worm hole ? (sorry if this was discussed already, I read back a bit and didn't see anything)

• Love 1

yeah-- seconding the WTFery of the Deception 'pitch' taking place at the metrocourt restaurant!?!? and that the 'pitch' is basically we believe in the product so you should too! Now I'm beginning to understand how Deception went belly up the first time around.

Also, the idea that a 'signature song' (by an artist no one has ever heard of) will make people buy the stuff is pretty laughable. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, statsgirl said:

If I were Chase, I wouldn't want to admit that I lost the love of my life to Michael Corinthos either.

Except Chase did it deliberately, so he has no room for whining.

11 hours ago, ciarra said:

Were they giving Deception's (cheesy) presentation in the middle of the Metro Court restaurant? 

I think it's supposed to be the Deception offices, which are located in the MetroCourt. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I think it's supposed to be the Deception offices, which are located in the MetroCourt.

Sooooo dumb. I mean, I know why - show has no budget, limit the sets - but, ugh. I hate the MetroCourt.

• Love 1

Crimson has money though and a more elite clientele (theoretically) so I can see the advantage of having offices in the Metro Court. Deception is such a begging-for-money start-up, Lucy should look for a less expensive location.

Once again the writers have painted themselves into a corner with Nelle.  She could have shoved Brooke into a sharp object, or fought with her over a knife rather than slashing her throat.  And whose body was found?  Did Nelle kill someone, because I can't see her digging up a grave in a cemetery to get a body.  I can't see her coming back from murder, unless her name is Sonny (or Ava).

I don't feel an ounce of sads for this whole Deception thing blowing up so spectacularly in Lucy's face. She deserves it for being so obnoxious. 

Also, BLQ is not the brightest crayon in the box. People have been hearing Amy sing for years at the NB in that nasaly voice of hers. 

I am starting to be fed up with Jordan conducting her business outside the confines of her office. As much as I hated everything Mike, his wake was not the place to go find Brando or to go see Carly to tell her that she needed to answer more questions about Nelle. Same today, with Chase.

I don't understands what they are doing with Cyrus. Dude, just start blowing up stuff instead of grandstanding. Can we get on with it? As much as I liked Jeff Kober, especially from his days on SOA, I'm fine if Cyrus drops off the face of GH tomorrow. 

Anna is disappointing, but there's nothing surprising there since she has been like this since they made Peter her "son." Love you, Robert, but you probably should clue in your silver fox brother on his future son-in-law so that he can keep an eye on his daughter. 

• Love 5