Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, katie9918 said:

Britt: Did you minor in  management consulting during your stent in murder school.  Did you pick up the finer points of human resources while burying bodies in the salt marshes.

It was the 'murder school' part that made this line *chef's kiss.* 

OK, wasn't expecting that twist about Jackie being "Harry"'s mom (that's cute that she calls him that).  Definitely agree with everyone that her and Finn had an affair and that Chase might be his--though I guess even the former could cause problems between the brothers (I'd really rather they stay brothers).  If he is the dad, I don't think he knows, which at least there's that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

"Harry"'s mom (that's cute that she calls him that)

That kind of set my teeth on edge. At least it's his name, but it also smacks of when Kim insisted on calling Julian "Charlie" all the time. It's fake intimacy. Yes, Jackie is his mom, but we didn't know that until today. Stop forcing the relationship! At least have Chase roll his eyes or groan "Mom!" when he gets called Harry.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

That kind of set my teeth on edge. At least it's his name, but it also smacks of when Kim insisted on calling Julian "Charlie" all the time. It's fake intimacy. Yes, Jackie is his mom, but we didn't know that until today. Stop forcing the relationship! At least have Chase roll his eyes or groan "Mom!" when he gets called Harry.

I didn’t mind as much in this case since Harrison is very formal and I don’t see his mom calling him by his last name. It annoys me that Portia refers to Taggart by his last name

• Love 6
1 hour ago, katie9918 said:

Britt is my hero!

But then she ruined it during the quick "you're cleared" exam with Jason.  

1 hour ago, teenj12 said:

Have to say I liked the battle of wits/sizing each other up between Jason and Britt, if only for Britt listing her various nicknames. So glad they remembered "Wicked Witch of the Westbourne", that was always my favorite lol.

The "I'm sure Robin or Elizabeth would be happy to tell you horrible things about me" etc. whining did her no favors. Like her mother, she feels sorry for herself. People like Patrick and Robin, Lulu and Dante, etc. and Elizabeth have legit reasons for their perspectives on Britt. I'm glad Jason mentioned Patrick and Lulu to her.  A few months ago in the court room she said to Brad that what she did, and what he did "for love" was understandable/excusable. I could see that she continued to show zero remorse for what she had done to deceive/hurt people, and thought "she hasn't changed." 

7 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It would be more accurate to say that Chad Duell doesn't exhibit ANY of those things. 

So true. I don't buy that Willow would ever fall for Michael as played by CD after being in a relationship with Chase.  I would much rather watch teenage Cameron Webber with either Joss or Trina. CD could learn a few things about playing a charismatic, romantic and charming guy from watching WL. That is sad. 

Chase's thought that he "can't" tell Willow the truth about his non-cheating because she and Michael have agreed she will legally adopt Wiley is an incredibly lazy way for the Show to try and push this Michael-Willow "romance" forward. Sheesh.  Is it possible for a couple to have chemistry in the negative digits? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I have a hard time believing that Michael and Willow are actually grown ups. She acts like she’s 14 years old and he’s 15 years old and they’re having their first “romance” in high school. What the hell? And again, I’m having issues with the way Kim D speaks. Is it that she’s rushing through her lines to get them over with or she doesn’t really open her mouth or what? I do love this actress but don’t like what she’s doing here. 

• Love 4

I'm hoping that Finn and Jackie were a couple before she got with his dad, and that's why he doesn't like them. Although I'm not sure how the timeline would work if he is actually Chase's father. Maybe she thought their dad was going to be a better father for Chase. Idk. 

• Love 1

Yeah, Finn's anger is definitely aimed at dad as much as/more so than Jackie.  That leans toward Dad taking his girl, or marrying his ex, not Finn having an affair with his stepmom.  Maybe the anger is misplaced, maybe Daddy Chase didn't/still doesn't know about the previous relationship.  That would explain why he's so blase about something that hurt Finn so badly.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:

The "I'm sure Robin or Elizabeth would be happy to tell you horrible things about me" etc. whining did her no favors.

I actually didn't think she was whining so much as kinda noting that it was pointless for her to submit herself to a Jason interrogation if he had already made up his mind.  It was refreshing that she kinda challenged his doing random morality checks when he's, again, a mob hitman.

The Robin mention did catch my ear.  Liz, 100%, would shred Britt to anyone that would listen.  But Robin...yes, Britt did some shitty things to Patrick and Emma.  But back towards the end of Robin's Return, they had kinda formed a weird alliance, them and Nikolas, against Faison and Dr. O.  Not that I think they'd ever be besties, but I think Robin would kinda have the view that Jason came away with today, that Britt has done some shitty things, but is not 100% garbage.

41 minutes ago, ciarra said:

How many days has Willow been wearing that dress she stole off an American Girl doll?il_794xN.1016884361_h9aj.jpg

Hey, it's Joss.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I loved the Robert/Anna scenes along with the Anna/Valentin scenes, especially but I want to make sure I understand the issues regarding Alex--does Anna not want Valentin to know that there's a chance Alex could be Peter's mother?  Is that what the big issue is?

And wouldn't Chase know that his mom was his brother's girlfriend before she married his dad?  I could see Finn throwing that back in his dad's face, especially just to get some good digs in.

Brook Lynn had moments of actually being likeable, especially in her scenes with Monica--maybe she's maturing?

Edited by kitmerlot1213

Perversely I would watch Britt/Jason for the car crash potential

6 minutes ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

And wouldn't Chase know that his mom was his brother's girlfriend before she married his dad?  I could see Finn throwing that back in his dad's face, especially just to get some good digs in.

Not really.  Finn took off when Chase was a baby or quite young (if born at all) and he really doesn't know why his brother took off.  He asked and Finn didn't really explain.

• Love 5

I don't think Finn necessarily dated Jackie before the dad. He could have just been pissed off his dad married very soon after his mom, what he saw as a trophy wife at that, and had an affair to spite the dad and then decided to not say anything when she became pregnant. He has to know there's a possibility or he's a total idiot. (It's possible Jackie doesn't know either for sure.) It's probably why he was reluctant to talk to Chase when he first came to town.

Edited by ulkis
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It would be more accurate to say that Chad Duell doesn't exhibit ANY of those things. Because Garret did have energy; he sparked; he was a much better actor. But of course they needed Eeyore for the rape story line. I still think Garret could have done it, because he played vulnerable and scared on original recipe CSI--where irony of ironies, Constance Towers played his grandma.

You are right about that! I loved Drew Garrett's portrayal of Michael. In fact, his time as Michael was the ONLY time I enjoyed the character. He was a much better actor than CD, in my opinion, and I couldn't agree more w/you that he would have ROCKED that rape storyline. I was so upset when they got rid of him for CD. 

2 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Is it possible for a couple to have chemistry in the negative digits? 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I literally laughed out loud for like 5 minutes after reading that. Yeah . . . I think Millow - or Mildew as I heard they were called on Twitter - are in the negative digits when it comes to chemistry or passion. There is simply NOTHING there. Chad can't bring the heat. I only ever liked him w/Starr/Kiki, and even then, I thought they were cute, not hot or anything. He's not sexy. He doesn't sparkle. He's just there. 

1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

I have a hard time believing that Michael and Willow are actually grown ups. She acts like she’s 14 years old and he’s 15 years old and they’re having their first “romance” in high school. What the hell?

They really do! It's beyond annoying. Willow was in a cult, had a baby, and has a lot of life experience as does loser Michael . . . if they want to be together or want to try and make their MOC a real thing, just be honest and do it. Don't be babies about it. Ugh . . . these two are so awful.  It should be a crime to be as boring as they are! 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I don't think Finn necessarily dated Jackie before the dad. He could have just been pissed off his dad married very soon after his mom, what he saw as a trophy wife at that, and had an affair to spite the dad and then decided to not say anything when she became pregnant. He has to know there's a possibility or he's a total idiot. (It's possible Jackie doesn't know either for sure.) It's probably why he was reluctant to talk to Chase when he first came to town.

I mean Finn is a doctor. He knows how biology works. And how to count.

Honestly, there is no reason why he is still so effected by Jackie after almost 3 decades. Was she the one that got away? Where does she stand in the matter of importance between Finn's deceased wife, Hayden (mother of child) or Anna (woman that he plans to marry).

Meanwhile away from Finn's poopy face, we have all the wonderful sparkle between Anna and Valentin as they schemed together to get Alex. Jackie and Robert were also delightful as exes after all these years.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Honestly, there is no reason why he is still so effected by Jackie after almost 3 decades.

If he hasn't seen her much since he maybe slept with her, maybe got her pregnant and sorta abandoned her, it's gotta be very awkward.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Gam2 said:

And again, I’m having issues with the way Kim D speaks. Is it that she’s rushing through her lines to get them over with or she doesn’t really open her mouth or what? I do love this actress but don’t like what she’s doing here. 

Same here. At times it looks as if she's talking without opening her mouth; then she is. It's weird.

And while I'm loving the sparkliness (Hell, who doesn't sparkle when in the presences of Tristan Rogers/R!F!S!)? That punch Jackie gave him came out of frackin' nowhere. I remember Demi Moore's Jackie still being around after Robert married Holly. She ran some piece that exposed Holly's con artist life or something. My point being she was around to let him know how she felt about being dumped. I don't recall if he told her why he was breaking up with her. Knowing Robert, I believe he did. 

So her telling him she "OWED" him that after 30 years? Whatever, Jackie.

And all these speculations about Jackie and Finn, with Finn possibly being Chase's father are giving me flashbacks to a plot from L&O: Criminal Intent, where the stepmother did seduce her stepson and had his baby; passed him off as her husband's. Stupid son really thought the baby was his brother and not his son. Of course the baby had health problems and wasn't "all there" and was responsible for the murder and burning down of churches. 

I've never liked Britt and I never will. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe Jaysus was wearing a helmet. Didn't we all joke about how it looked more like a bowl than a helmet or something? At least I remember snarking about what it looked like.

Someone has got to explain to me why Alex suddenly hates Anna and wants her dead.

16 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Is it possible for a couple to have chemistry in the negative digits? 

Yes. That's basically every Michael relationship except the all-too-brief fling with Rosalie, IMO.

18 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Someone has got to explain to me why Alex suddenly hates Anna and wants her dead.

The almighty plot point, of course. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, nilyank said:

the wonderful sparkle between Anna and Valentin as they schemed together to get Alex.

Valentin just being a scheming cohort to Anna, and a friend to Alexis, is the most interesting and likeable Valentin.  

• Love 13
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

From the beginning, the show hasn't adequately for me explained this pivot in Alex's personality based on what we saw on "All My Children".  And it would be so simple - she recovered some more buried memories, she spiraled after the divorce from Dimitri, etc.  But instead the show was just like, "EVUL TWIN!" and left it at that, which doesn't work IMO.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I do believe Jaysus was wearing a helmet. Didn't we all joke about how it looked more like a bowl than a helmet or something? At least I remember snarking about what it looked like.

That was the helmet that Carly gave him when he was recovering in the hospital.  

• Love 3

It's a shame, I really liked the actress playing Willow (she's green, but she's trying) She was good as a foil for MS over the kid-stuff, she was genuinely sparkly with Chase, ably handled the heavier stuff with the cult and finding out about her baby.

But they put her with Michael and all the spark just disappeared-- and all she talks about is Wiley and Michael, Wiley and Michael. Does she even work anymore? Why haven't we seen her at the hospital? Did Britt cut her job as well? (it would be kind of funny if the ELQ shake-up caused both Michael and Willow to lose their jobs)

It's not just negative chemistry, CD is a black hole of chemistry-- no light can exist in his orbit.

• Love 15

I have rarely used the word “brilliant” in reference to GH (except, perhaps, during the BJ’s heart story, the denouement of the Asian Quarter story — with Robin running into Anna’s arms, the reveal of Burt Ramsey as Mr. Big, and Sean and Tiffany’s wedding...notice how old all these stories are?), but I gotta say that the scene where everyone realized their various connections to Jackie Templeton, concluding with Chase saying, “Mom?,” was just that. Classic farce, like the end of the courtroom scene in Streisand’s classic screwball comedy, “What’s Up, Doc” — and from me, that is high praise. More, please!

• Love 7

The organ music had a Pink Floyd sound to it, and every so often I was like, Why are they playing "Welcome to the Machine" at a memorial service?

"[Mike] always knew he could count on you." Uh, not really, Olivia. Sonny treated him like trash for a long time. He did step up after Mike's Alzheimer diagnosis, even if Sonny wasn't the most empathetic person at the beginning. All that yelling at Mike!

• Love 4

So my tv was on GH but was also muted b/c I had no interest in watching Mike's funeral. I hate funerals in reality and definitely didn't want to see this one play out on screen! I'm sure the actors did a great job w/their speeches, and I am sure it was moving but I was over Mike a few months ago. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. If they hadn't dragged out his death for weeks then maybe I would have paid attn to this funeral but they did. We watched him die for weeks. We saw pretty much the SAME PEOPLE sitting at his side and speaking to him.  Why did we need to see those SAME ppl speak at his funeral?!?! They could have skipped the funeral and showed ppl gathering at the repast. For me, this was just overkill. I knew the entire episode would be dedicated to the funeral, but I was still disappointed to see that it was.  

The best part of the episode was when I looked up and saw Dante at the door. I'm interested in tomorrow's episode. 

I guess the writers/showrunners remembered Sonny had a daughter and asked LA if she could make an appearance. And an appearance was LITERALLY all it was. I think she said, "Hi, Dad" and "I'm so sad," and that was it. She didn't get any retconned memories during Josslyn's unnecessary song montage. She didn't get to say any words at all about Mike that I saw - and granted I was not giving the show my full attn but each time I looked up, it was someone we've already seen talking about or to Mike for the past three months except Ava! Her speech was fresh! Kristina may as well not been there. 

Where was Nikolas? I read that Ava was speaking on Avery's behalf, but Nikolas couldn't speak on Spencer's behalf? And where was Lulu? Why wasn't she there? She knew Mike and liked him, right?  She and her son should have been there!  Mike was his great-grandfather! I don't think I saw them. Again, I am working from home and wasn't paying real close attn. LOL. If they weren't there, they should have been. 

Edited by lala2
  • Love 3

I love that even in the middle of a rather boring, by-the-book funeral, the show gave me an opportunity to snark on Sam by making her say she admired how Mike was always non-judgmental. That's quite the remark coming from someone who's the judgiest person this side of a courtroom. Maybe she should try emulating that quality the next time she gets the urge to look down her nose at Alexis, Brando, or anyone else who doesn't live up to her standards.

Thank fuck Joss didn't sing "You're Not Alone" today. That little bit from Amy earlier this week was plenty. Ava's remarks were kind, and color me surprised that both Carly and Sonny accepted her there with grace. Good on the show for finally dragging Kristina out of the broom closet, too. Liz's hair was a mess, and I think it's past time for Brook Lynn to graduate to a scarf or something instead of that huge bandage.

I would have preferred to have Olivia there at the end to see Dante show up, but hey, at least Dante and Sonny are coming face-to-face without a gun in between them this time, right? (Though with Liesl orchestrating Dante's programming, maybe a girl can hope Dante will get a chance to even the score. Sonny's got to have another personal crisis now that Mike's dead, after all.)

• Love 4

So all I could think during Michael's speech about  his Grandpa was screw this your grandfather was Alan Quatermaine  and who didn't this much of a send off. 

• Love 7

OMG, Kristina came to Grandpa Mike's funeral! Then we have a procession of people talking about Mike, Josslyn even sang after you know, she had all that fantasy episode with him, while Kristina, his actual granddaughter, sat there.

Kristina is a sub-Corinthii. 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Linny said:

I love that even in the middle of a rather boring, by-the-book funeral, the show gave me an opportunity to snark on Sam by making her say she admired how Mike was always non-judgmental. That's quite the remark coming from someone who's the judgiest person this side of a courtroom.

She was also sighing while she was talking again; it didn't make her sound like she was grieving -- it made her sound like she resented having to say something. (And, seriously, why did she speak?)

12 minutes ago, Linny said:

Thank fuck Joss didn't sing "You're Not Alone" today.

I had a brief moment of panic when I realized she was going to perform. I was saying to myself, "Please! Not the recorder!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, ouinason said:

Perversely I would watch Britt/Jason for the car crash potential

Not going to lie, I really liked Jason and Brenda, and Jason and Britt had the same energy, so I'm in.

• Love 5

People could have mustered up expressions that weren't sour when Ava was talking about Avery and Mike. It wasn't about Ava. Ugh.

At least most of the reminiscences were short.

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

Did Sonny (MB) really have to sigh and moan so much when he got up when it was his turn to speak ? 

I thought the same thing! I was relieved Sonny didn't break down and sob up there, or anywhere, really. 

• Love 2

Oh Good Grief. 

I haven't even watched and I'm STILL rolling my eyes, because Mike hasn't been on this show long enough to be considered a vet; and nor was he EVER a pillar of the community. But I forget; since Mooby forgave him, he was welcomed back into the bosom of his paunchiness, so of course he gets a funeral with everyone waxing poetic about what a good man he was. Instead of the dead-beat father/man who loved gambling more than being a good husband and father. To BOTH his children.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 7

wow I turned the channel before the Sonny moaning and Joss singing.

With my family "working at home " these days I am getting the comments.

Today my husband "Did Wojo die?"  "Is this whole episode about the funeral?", that was pretty much when I conceded to let him turn the channel to the baseball game.

On Monday my son asked "Do you watch this show seriously or ironically?" hahaha!

ETA: I had to think when Ava said Avery was Mike's second youngest  grandchild. I was thinking Wiley is a great grandchild and then I remembered.......Donna.  When was the last time anyone has even seen Donna? 

Edited by Blackie
eta
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ffwbe said:

FV has really found a new Starr in Josslyn, poor singing included. His obsessions have always confused me

Taking Joss the Starr route, making her a bland heroine instead of a hellion who makes Carly's life a nightmare, is one of the most disappointing things this show has ever done, and that's saying something.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, Blackie said:

ETA: I had to think when Ava said Avery was Mike's second youngest  grandchild. I was thinking Wiley is a great grandchild and then I remembered.......Donna.  When was the last time anyone has even seen Donna? 

Someone had to occupy the Corinthos girlchild closet when Kristina was let out to go to the funeral. Can't they just carry around a bag of flour wrapped in a blanket and pretend it's a baby? For someone who is rarely mentioned and even more rarely seen, I am very irked by Donna's existence. As far as I'm concerned, soap babies exist for two reasons - to drive story with a paternity reveal, potentially terminal illness, or kidnapping and to look cute and adorably unconcerned* with the tenor of the scene. Donna has given me none of that so I hope she's sucked into another dimension via closet like in Poltergeist.

*I remember a baby on another soap (maybe AMC) who obviously adored the actor playing his father while the dialogue was "The baby is terrified of you! You're scaring the baby! You don't even know how to hold a baby!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Well, that was...something.  I mean, I totally get that a secondary character reintroduced to the show a couple years ago to serve as a plot point to highlight Sonny as the BEST EVER is deserving of yet another entire episode, complete with tears, flashbacks, singing and walking into the light, so brava, show, brava.

Except NOT.  JFC, are we finally done now?  Or are we going to have to suffer thru a VERY SPECIAL EPISODE when the show decides it's Mike's birthday.  Or the anniversary of the day he left Sonny.  Or the anniversary of when he came BACK into Sonny's life.  I mean, for the love of Kate Howard's bob-that-could-cure-cancer, can we make it stop?

Also, the reactions from the crowd were just weird.  Normally, when people tell warm stories about the person being eulogized people smile or even laugh.  But not this crowd.  The only people I noticed doing that a few times were Olivia and Stella.  Everyone else looked like they swallowed a lemon.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

So glad I skipped the funeral. I can't believe they got the whole cast together and spent an entire episode on this character who was only brought on to prop Mo/Sonny. I never even found Mike's alz story line to be moving, cuz Mo basically ate it, chewed it up, and shat it out. THEN instead of having Dante come in and shock the whole crowd for a good soapy moment, no, they let that moment be about Sonny, too. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Taking Joss the Starr route, making her a bland heroine instead of a hellion who makes Carly's life a nightmare, is one of the most disappointing things this show has ever done, and that's saying something.

Oscar's death would have been the perfect time to have Joss start rebelling. She's reeling from the death of her first love, her parents are smothering her (remember the texts every half hour to make sure she was okay?), etc. But of course the show completely punts.

14 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

*I remember a baby on another soap (maybe AMC) who obviously adored the actor playing his father while the dialogue was "The baby is terrified of you! You're scaring the baby! You don't even know how to hold a baby!"

LOL. This happened on OLTL with Starr's baby. The babies playing her were so happy that the actors had a hard time when the dialogue was supposed to be serious. The baby would be cooing and smiling and the actors had to try to ignore it.

1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

THEN instead of having Dante come in and shock the whole crowd for a good soapy moment, no, they let that moment be about Sonny, too. 

It's always about Sonny. But I dread Olivia seeing Dante for the first time. LiLoC doesn't exactly dial it back.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It's always about Sonny. But I dread Olivia seeing Dante for the first time. LiLoC doesn't exactly dial it back.

Same here. I like Dante but I’m not looking forward to this because his relationship with Lulu and Rocco are going to be a distant third to Sonny and Olivia’s pain. I’m not sure whose worse between the 2 because they are both unwatchable to me in completely different ways. 

• Love 6