Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Yesterday's episode was the most I've fast-forwarded through one episode in a while. I think I might have let it play for one to two minutes tops! 

From earlier in the week, I liked the Chase family drama and am looking forward to seeing how it plays out. I'm not a huge Finn fan, but I think I'd be interested in the dramatic fallout of him being revealed to be Chase's actual dad. Plus, I feel like Chase would be the sweetest older brother to Violet and he's so good with kids, so I'm about it. KD was good as his mom too.

I'm bored of Willow AND Sasha. If there's an impending GH disaster, one of them needs to be a casualty, and the other needs to leave town soon after that too. Bring on Serena, a Ward, and/or a SORAs-ed Lila Rae to fill the gap.

Britt makes scenes with anyone better, even Jason. I want her to get back into Nik's orbit too.

• Love 5

LOL at the giant bottle of vodka Alexis pulled out of her bag. 

Gah, more of Cyrus's boring, vague threats. DO SOMETHING. I am so tired of this.

Wow, Dev, way to invade Joss's privacy. You suck.

Finally, a soapy cliffhanger!

• Love 8

I can't help it, I prefer Doris Gladys to Sonny or Carly. She so unabashedly owns who she is.

Doesn't Alexis have a bigger purse to put an even bigger bottle of vodka into? Although a blind man in a snowstorm could have identified the one she had.

I'm grateful Trina is off on a quest to clear her father's name. Two triangles at a time (Chase/Willow/Michael and Dante/Lulu/Dustin) are two too many. And that's not even looking at the tease of Alex/Ned/Olivia/Robert.

I liked Monica's look today.

Edited by statsgirl
what's in a name?
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, rur said:

Today, Cyrus quoted Hemingway.  (And last week, his grammar was correct.) Apparently a literate writer has accidentally been hired. 

Or Kober himself is literate and probably deviated from the dreck the "writers" pen and says what's grammatically correct!

What?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 10/7/2020 at 8:09 PM, TeeVee329 said:

I actually didn't think she was whining so much as kinda noting that it was pointless for her to submit herself to a Jason interrogation if he had already made up his mind.  It was refreshing that she kinda challenged his doing random morality checks when he's, again, a mob hitman.

I saw it as whining because she started out her one-on-one scene with Jason by talking about the rep she has/acknowledging her nicknames. I think you don't do that unless you feel self-pity. ' 

On 10/8/2020 at 2:51 PM, perkie1968 said:

Oh look, Kristina is allowed out of the closet for Mike's funeral.  No mention of where she's been this whole time. 

Kristina, as Mike's actual granddaughter who never got to say good-bye, should have been the one to get up and say she'll miss him and will make sure to tell Avery and Donna stories about him as they grow up.  I hate that Joss must have a starring roll in so many storylines/scenes just because she's the daughter of She-Beast. 

On 10/8/2020 at 3:26 PM, Linny said:

the show gave me an opportunity to snark on Sam by making her say she admired how Mike was always non-judgmental. That's quite the remark coming from someone who's the judgiest person this side of a courtroom. Maybe she should try emulating that quality the next time she gets the urge to look down her nose at Alexis, Brando, or anyone else who doesn't live up to her standards.

I'm laughing because Sam couldn't make it through a day being non-judgmental.  Her tone/expression and "What could possibly have been more important than Mike's funeral?" line to Alexis was so out of line. Alexis doesn't answer to you, Sam, so shut it.  Mike was not actually family to Alexis and was not his friend. Just because Sam has no life except to hang on to Jason and the Corinthos family, doesn't mean anyone else should follow that example.

23 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Hah. Only watched Liz speaking, the rest was all fast forward. So...7 minutes.

Yes, Elizabeth was one of maybe 2-3 people who came off well during this sad storyline.  Although Dante's tears that he missed saying good-bye to Mike, and missed the funeral, got me in the feels as well.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Wow, Dev, way to invade Joss's privacy. You suck.

He is crossing over into stalker/creeper territory, between the eavesdropping and literally digging her private thoughts out of a box. I assume he'll try to manipulate her based on what he reads. What's next, sniffing her underwear drawer when she's out of the house?

52 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

quest to clear her father's name. 

It reminds me of teen Lulu being determined to clear Laura's name re: murder.  Josslyn's smile/reaction to Trina's news makes me think she's happy Trina is thinking about her father and a goal instead of confessing "I have feelings for Cam." I assume Joss is going to put off/avoid telling Trina she and Cam kissed if she can, all the while trying to spend more time with Cam and/or get another kiss from him. But if Joss wants to keep this quiet, telling her mother was the way wrong move.

I really enjoyed Gladys showing up and shit-stirring. Sonny and Carly can suck it up since Sonny is the one who sought her out to provide Dev a cover story. Brando is shitty for calling her after Mike died, and deliberately not telling her about the funeral. She was Mike's cousin, Sonny acknowledged Mike had a soft spot from her. She had a right to be there and mourn him. This was not Sonny's funeral, Brando (unfortunately) and sucking up to Sonny like this is not a good look. 

Loved seeing Dante show up at Lulu's door (before he went to his mother) when she was beaming thinking it was Dustin with his stuff to move in. I rolled my eyes at her and Dustin saying ILY to each other and her claim that Rocco thinks he walks on water. Ummm, he was devastated that his father left town and latched onto Dustin because he needed someone to fill the void. it's not hard to understand if you know basic psych.

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 4

Why was everyone jumping to so many conclusions today based off limited evidence? Josslynn simply inquires whether or not she should invite Trina and Carly immediately assumes something went down. Alexis missed the funeral of a man she wasn't related to or really even knew that well and Sam finds that SO suspicious. And there were a lot more examples like that too but those are just a couple.  

I had to LOL at Carly's "Gladys, you look REALLY thirsty after your long drive", LW's delivery was excellent xDDDD.

Edited by teenj12
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I saw it as whining because she [Britt] started out her one-on-one scene with Jason by talking about the rep she has/acknowledging her nicknames. I think you don't do that unless you feel self-pity. 

*shrug* Obviously, we are coming from opposite poles regarding liking/disliking this character lol, but I didn't see it that way.  Not from how light-hearted she was being recounting them and because I don't think she really gives a fuck what Jason thinks about her.  But agree to disagree!

Speaking of Britt...previews...oooh, excited to see more of her with nuNik!

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 7
59 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I really enjoyed Gladys showing up and shit-stirring.

I wish she were shit stirring for herself and not for Brando. He doesn't need Mommy asking Sonny to give him a job. I wish she'd shakedown Sonny for more dough.

1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Loved seeing Dante show up at Lulu's door (before he went to his mother) when she was beaming thinking it was Dustin with his stuff to move in.

She was buttoning her shirt, so I think the implication was that she and Dustin had just had sex. They were Covid kissing the last time we saw them. Dustin had just agreed to move in.

1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:

it's not hard to understand if you know basic psych.

Lulu is a crack reporter, not a therapist, dammit!

34 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I don't think she really gives a fuck what Jason thinks about her.

I agree. Britt has too little interaction with Jason to care, IMO. She does care what the hospital staff thinks, even though she says she doesn't. Otherwise the nicknames they've given her wouldn't bother her so much. But Jason? Pfft. He's an idiot who won't wear a motorcycle helmet.

• Love 6

I know I should probably not type this, because it’s more the fault of the lazy ads writers, but I can’t help myself.

Did Nonica forget that she herself had an affair with Ned when he first joined the show? Even if he didn’t know he was blinking his aunt by marriage, he found out when he came to Port Charles, and didn’t they continue the affair until Dawn showed up? 

So while Ned wasn’t the married one, he was still having the affair, so I just 🙄🙄 when Monica said Ned didn’t have it in his make up to cheat.

Huh. Looks like the SheBeast doesn’t mind her spawn having feelings for Cam—Elizabeth’s son. I recall some here predicted it would make her head explode!

Aaah yes! That’s a soapy cliffhanger!!

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So while Ned wasn’t the married one, he was still having the affair, so I just 🙄🙄 when Monica said Ned didn’t have it in his make up to cheat.

Hey Monica, remember that time Ned had two wives...

• LOL 9
47 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I wish she were shit stirring for herself and not for Brando. He doesn't need Mommy asking Sonny to give him a job. I wish she'd shakedown Sonny for more dough.

She was buttoning her shirt, so I think the implication was that she and Dustin had just had sex. They were Covid kissing the last time we saw them. Dustin had just agreed to move in.

I guess she asks for more dough next? In the preview Carly is giving her attitude, saying ATM closed.

Thanks; I thought they had sex and then he left to get his stuff because she seemed upbeat/excited to answer the door. I didn't look carefully to see she was buttoning. I assumed she was fussing with her top to look smooth/pretty as she opened the door. 

3 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Speaking of Britt...previews...oooh, excited to see more of her with nuNik!

It's insane to think that Nik has three ex-lovers - from literally within the past decade - on canvas all at the same time (Liz, BL, Britt), and if Hayden ever pops back up, that'd make four. And there's so much he went through with each woman. It's just wild to me. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Monica: And even though Sonny and Carly and I have had our clashes...

Clashes, writers?  CLASHES?!?!  Sonny MURDERED HER SON, bullied his way into the funeral, and then had sex with a woman on her in-laws' graves!

I mean, I get it, I get Monica not holding that against Mike, and I don't mind the show letting her be the bigger person, but still, UGH!

• Love 10
2 hours ago, perkie1968 said:
12 hours ago, teenj12 said:

(Liz, BL, Britt),

Why do I not remember Nik and BL? 

They weren't really love interests; he was Pretty Woman-ing her, which was gross on so many levels even if she wasn't a hooker. Wasn't the whole thing to make someone mad/get some money/whatever? I've erased it from my memory.

1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

Clashes, writers?  CLASHES?!?!  Sonny MURDERED HER SON, bullied his way into the funeral, and then had sex with a woman on her in-laws' graves!

I mean, I get it, I get Monica not holding that against Mike, and I don't mind the show letting her be the bigger person, but still, UGH!

I KNOW. They really should have had her say exactly that: "Sonny is a blight on humanity, but I'm not going to hold that against his father, and I'm doing this for Michael [gag, but you know, Michael has to be coddled, too]."

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Dustin and Lulu have no chemistry. They are both super bland and boring. I hope she chooses him though, so Dante can be free of her. 

A while back, I was suspicious that Dustin was involved with Cyrus.   Now, with Dante returning on his "mission," I'm thinking he's working with Peter August.   This is a soap; there has to be more to "bland" Dustin than just the good guy image he portrays.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Oh Lawd, the teens are going to have a Scooby Do caper. 

I like the idea of them teaming up for Trina's sake, for a change. Who will get kidnapped next? Probably Joss, so the story can become all about her. Sigh.

• Love 9

I know the answer is PLOT! but when did Dev get all obsessive over MiniSheBeast? Up until last week, he couldn't have cared less or bothered with her. Now he's stalking, eavesdropping, and reading her personal diary journal. And his "whatever" means he doesn't give any shits about Trina or what she's going through.

If there is a caper, it'll be Trina/Cam/Joss, and I bet the Cam and Joss kiss will come out during some emotional moment and will hurt and shock Trina. But I almost always get these things wrong, so who knows?

While I'm no fan of Glady's (I don't know if it's the acting, the direction, but she comes off more whining/mealy-mouthed/ingratiating than manipulative), SHE was Mike's cousin. Mooby WAS paying her to keep the LIE that Dev was her "grandson" so Mooby could keep that stalker Moobywannabe creeper in the United States.

So SheBEAST can just SHUT IT, about how they intentionally didn't "invite" her to the funeral.

And so now, from pulling Brando into Mooby's bidnez and going under cover to work for Cyrus as Jaysus' idea, we now have Brando whining about wanting in on da bidnez and it being HIS idea, and HIM wanting to get involved. So Jaysus has to tell him to stop whining and follow directions like a good little soldier.

Let me know when Robert, Jackie, and Anna are back onscreen.

1 hour ago, sas616 said:

A while back, I was suspicious that Dustin was involved with Cyrus.   Now, with Dante returning on his "mission," I'm thinking he's working with Peter August.   This is a soap; there has to be more to "bland" Dustin than just the good guy image he portrays.

More likely, they'll have Dustin and Brookieeeeee get back together IF Dante and Looloo reunite and get back together. 

Because we know it's the 1950s on this show and only bio-parents can parent.

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

But he's a good dad*, so...

*Per the show

Seriously, though, when Sonny was talking to Dante yesterday about how HE "had to let Mike go" it was just so friggin' Sonny-centric, yet again.  As if the entire thing was 100% up to him.  Just stop, show.  Just stop.

• Love 8

Yeah, she changed to Quartermaine not long after she came back with Amanda Setton's face, in solidarity with Ned (who changed to Quartermaine a while ago, before marrying Olivia) slash to try and circumvent that skeevy producer.

5 hours ago, sas616 said:

Yeah, I assume, with Dante back, Dustin will turn out to be THE EVUL, which would be boring, predictable, and a waste of Mark Lawson.  I still say they should go the U.K. route, reveal he's bisexual, and put him between BFFs Lucas (who?) and Brook.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2

Rant and run on sentences. It’s 3am and I can’t sleep.  I hope my English teacher isn’t reading this.

Can someone kill Cyrus and get it over with?! Jeez! He is so annoying and all he does is threaten everyone in every scene. I’m guessing there will be a “Who Shot Cyrus?” but who would care? It’s so dumb. Kim Delaney did okay but it’s an unnecessary character to bring back. I always enjoy seeing Tristin Rogers. The minute he smiles I feel better. Anna is still dumb. Hopefully, Peter will get killed in the crossfire whomever kills Cyrus. Amy looks amazing. I don’t know if she did it the old fashion way or had surgery but she looks beautiful. I like the actress playing Brooke Lyn but she plays her more as a character actor and not a contract player. If that makes sense. Finally.....LuLu and Dustin look like brother and sister (ewwwww) and have no chemistry. I’m glad DZ is back but I don’t like him with Emme Rylan. Rant over. 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Laur said:

Meh, I hope they don't make Dustin go ~~~evil~~~ for Lante. ER's Lulu has zero chemistry with Dante. Pair him up with someone else and move onward.

Unfortunately, there aren’t any other options in his age bracket aside from Sasha, Brook, and maybe Britt. What’s Julie Berman up to? Maybe they could bring her back as Serena or something. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

Unfortunately, there aren’t any other options in his age bracket aside from Sasha, Brook, and maybe Britt. What’s Julie Berman up to? Maybe they could bring her back as Serena or something. 

Julie Berman had a baby boy in February 2019. My guess is she is just enjoying being a mom for now.

• Love 2
On 10/10/2020 at 2:00 PM, Cheyanne11 said:

But is he really?  Michael has been in dangerous numerous times and was in a coma because of the choices that Sonny makes, and that he refuses to step back from his dangerous and illegal lifestyle.

I get the feeling that Monica knows that this is a battle she just can't win so she mouths the words to avoid making waves. After all, Michael is the last remaining descendent of hers that she has any real contact with and she doesn't want to lose that.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, statsgirl said:
On 10/10/2020 at 11:00 AM, Cheyanne11 said:

But is he really?  Michael has been in dangerous numerous times and was in a coma because of the choices that Sonny makes, and that he refuses to step back from his dangerous and illegal lifestyle.

I was making fun of what the show wants us to believe, not what we as viewers clearly see.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I get the feeling that Monica knows that this is a battle she just can't win so she mouths the words to avoid making waves. After all, Michael is the last remaining descendent of hers that she has any real contact with and she doesn't want to lose that.

Same, and I'm bummed for her. She has legit reasons to hate Sonny with the heat of a thousand nuns and not be apologetic about it. Yet she has to suck it up so his tiny fee-fees aren't ruffled.

I think now that Michael is an adult, he genuinely wants a relationship with Monica and genuinely wants her to have a relationship with Wiley. They all seem on excellent terms.

Jason, though? He treats Monica's house like a daycare, and she's supposed to be grateful for the crumbs he tosses her way. SMH for him.

I know Cyrus is strolling around town making vague threats for dumb plot purposes, but if Sonny were really sick of him being in PC, he'd have gotten rid of him ages ago. So much for being the most powerful mobster on the Eastern Seaboard.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Same, and I'm bummed for her. She has legit reasons to hate Sonny with the heat of a thousand nuns and not be apologetic about it. Yet she has to suck it up so his tiny fee-fees aren't ruffled.

I think now that Michael is an adult, he genuinely wants a relationship with Monica and genuinely wants her to have a relationship with Wiley. They all seem on excellent terms.

Jason, though? He treats Monica's house like a daycare, and she's supposed to be grateful for the crumbs he tosses her way. SMH for him.

I know Cyrus is strolling around town making vague threats for dumb plot purposes, but if Sonny were really sick of him being in PC, he'd have gotten rid of him ages ago. So much for being the most powerful mobster on the Eastern Seaboard.

My favorite Monica moment is right before Emily's funeral and not only did she bar Jason from attending but read Sonny for filth when he came to convince her to let Jason come.  I just wish she would do it to Michael once in a while, like when Michael brow beat Monica into letting Sonny and Carly attend AJ's funeral, knowing how Monica feels about both of them (even before finding out about their role in AJ's death). I think the most annoying isn't that Michael usually gets what he wants, is that everyone just gives it to him. That is why I am going to miss Nelle's truth telling. 

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I just wish she would do it to Michael once in a while, like when Michael brow beat Monica into letting Sonny and Carly attend AJ's funeral, knowing how Monica feels about both of them (even before finding out about their role in AJ's death).

That doesn't even make any sense.  Why would they even have wanted to go?  Jason going to Emily's funeral made sense.    Sonny and Carly hated AJ and they're not close to any Qs except for Michael.  Show a little common sense and console your adult son before and after the funeral and let him go alone.  Carly wanting to accompany child Michael to Alan's funeral made sense, but even then I remembered that she offered the Qs that Jason or Jax could do it if they didn't want her there.  That was what a reasonable person would do.  I only remember because Carly is reasonable so rarely.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Why would they even have wanted to go?

They think they're Port Charles royalty.  They appeared to show the world that they support their son Michael. Sonny especially, to demonstrate his position as Michael's true father.

• Love 1
On 10/10/2020 at 12:17 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I know the answer is PLOT! but when did Dev get all obsessive over MiniSheBeast? Up until last week, he couldn't have cared less or bothered with her. Now he's stalking, eavesdropping, and reading her personal diary journal. And his "whatever" means he doesn't give any shits about Trina or what she's going through.

I don't agree that he never bothered with her. He thinks he's clever/smart/slick and he didn't want to go back to Turkey, so he has made it his goal to ensure that Sonny (and Carly) first feel indebted to him, and second want to keep him around because he's "a good kid." Once he was confident he wouldn't be leaving Port Charles, he started to relax. Now that he's comfortable, he figured he could let his attraction to Joss be more obvious  and because he has a high opinion of himself, he sort of expected she would want him (especially since he pulled away from kissing her on NYE out of so-called respect for Sonny/family, as I interpreted his response).  The way he told Brando what happened, he seemed angry/resentful - as in 'she wants to be friends but then goes off with that loser Cam - excuse ?!'  His reaction was not about hurt feelings. So I guess now he thinks he can manipulate her into falling in love with him because he thinks she should want him. 

I wonder if he's going to help Trina on her quest to clear her dad's name, and also somehow intervene when Dev tries something.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

....and the line of the day (at the 10 min mark, so there could be a better one coming up!) again comes from Britt:

Nik: badmouths her working for Cyrus

Britt:  nobody batted an eye when Sonny paid for a wing of the hospital

Nik:  Sonny is nothing like Cyrus

Britt:  (with a giant eye roll) Right (said with sarcasm), Sonny is the "good" mobster. Grow up

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

....and the line of the day (at the 10 min mark, so there could be a better one coming up!) again comes from Britt:

Britt:  (with a giant eye roll) Right (said with sarcasm), Sonny is the "good" mobster. Grow up

So I guess Britt has picked up Nelle's baton for truth telling. 

• Love 4

There hasn't been gunfire at an event for a while; why couldn't one have broken out at the reception and taken out just about everyone there? Show, you miss so many obvious opportunities!

LOL at Sam's "Jason and I earned everything we have!" 

Stuff the attitude, Dante. You're the one who asked for the divorce. Gah, I hate this crap. Good for Lulu for reading Dante the riot act about that. He deserved it.

If Drunk!Alexis can walk around town truth-telling, I won't be too mad she ruined her sobriety because of Neil's dumb brother.

Get yourself measured for a casket, Brando, because your days are numbered.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Definitely the highlight of the show.  But they keep teasing me with truth-telling and then going back to glorifying Sonny.

Sonny to Alexis: " I'm not going to talk politics, especially with you."  (The show's meta statement)

In terms of soapiness, today  was well done (the public fight between Brando and Sonny, Alexis and Ned guilty around Olivia, Dante returning as Dustin is getting dressed, Julian and Nik trying to stop Ava from visiting Ryan and she can't tell Nik what it's about) but I really don't much care.  Even the Scot/Franco/Liz plot isn't all that much fun.

There is no real reason for Sonny to believe Nelle's letter because they think she's such a lying liar, but you know he will.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Even the Scot/Franco/Liz plot isn't all that much fun.

I really hate this, especially Scott and Franco pushing Elizabeth to do something illegal. Of course it will backfire—Scott is involved. Elizabeth should tell Nic and Ava that she knows they were trying to mess up her marriage, she won't let that happen, and for them to play their sick games on each other alone.

Also, if Franco and Elizabeth are so strapped for cash, won't someone get suspicious where the money suddenly came from? Any loan could be checked, and it's not as if Scott is rolling in dough.

Ugh. This whole story is so aggravatingly stupid.

20 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Re: Friday's episode: Cyrus: "Ain't it pretty to think so?" Oh Cyrus, you jibber-jabbering fool, you're trying to make you love you, quoting Hemingway and all.

Stop quoting and start acting, Cyrus! And sorry, reopening Jason's motorcycle accident isn't acting.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

Stuff like this will always make me question why the writers keep going down this road when they are very clearly conscious of what they are writing. But Britt gives me life with her truth-telling.

That whole scene with Jordan, Gladys, Brando was painful to watch. Shouting is not acting. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

If Mac or Robert or even Nurse Amy had that line, it would be more impactful IMO.  Nik's son is Sonny's nephew, so of course he's going to say something like that. Britt indulged Nik's brat son when they were a couple and still thinks Spencer is a "great kid." Well, that "great kid"  adores his "Uncle Sonny" and is influenced by him, so Britt's words ring hollow to me.  She claims she and Spencer talk, so it's not like she had/has no idea that the kid looks up to Sonny. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1