Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Chapter Three - The Sin

• Start Topic

We finally got to see Mandalorians come together for a battle in live action.  And that was a combination of Mandalorians protecting their own, and "screw the Empire."

Speaking of Mandalorians, we better be getting more of the Great Purge of Mandalore.

Baby Yoda finally got the ball.

• Love 11

According to someone I can't remember right now, the symbol on the scientist's jacket is from the Kamino cloners, which puts the dialogue in context. Herzog said to extract some genetic material from the kid, enough to work with. Then get rid of it. The scientist wanted to keep it around, if only as a constant supply of fresh material. It's one of those SF tropes. Cloning works best from a fresh source. Copies of copies tend to degenerate.

My question: why are the trackers still active? There must be something implanted in the kid. The logical move would be to disable or outright remove it. Unless it has some kind of anti-tamper mechanism, possibly explosive.

My other question: if he's never removed his helmet, how does he eat, sleep, or clean the helmet's inside?

• Love 3

Panic attacks through the first half of this episode thinking about what they were doing with poor baby Yoda!!

I'm happily surprised the other mandelorians helped him escape. I thought for sure it would be against their code to collect a bounty and then go back to rescue them and therefore I thought the other mandelorians would turn against him. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Zahdii said:

He must be a blast when on dates.

Don't think I don't like him, though.  I'd climb him like a tree if he'd let me.

Mandalorian: I never swipe left, but this might be your Last.Date.Ever.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

I'm happily surprised the other mandelorians helped him escape. I thought for sure it would be against their code to collect a bounty and then go back to rescue them and therefore I thought the other mandelorians would turn against him. 

I thought for sure that was where they were going with the story, too, and am happily surprised as well that turned out not to be the case.

I haven't followed any of the EU canon much since the Marvel comics, Thrawn trilogy, and the first couple of novels, where is when I understand they started to explore the Mandalorian culture, so I could be wrong here, but my guess would be that the Mandos don't care so much about the bounty hunter guild "code". He went after a target and got it, admitted that it wasn't a clean tag, and that pretty much settles it for them, maybe? Anything beyond that- turning on your employer, etc. really falls outside of the code of the hunt itself. I.E., the bounty hunter guild is useful to them inasfar as it is a source of payment for work that they would otherwise be doing on their own, but adherence to the bounty hunter rules takes second place to Mandalorian interests.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I had been going back and forth about getting Disney Plus. I finally gave in because I wanted to see The Mandolarian. After watching the first three episodes, it was worth every penny.

Baby Yoda! The most adorable species evah! He/she is so sweet. I love how quickly Baby Yoda became attached to the Mandolarian, using the Force to save him, and then gulping down the frog. Ha. It was so sad when he/she looked scared arriving at the new place and seeing the Storm Troopers. I was surprised when he referred to Baby Yoda has an enemy. This must be how they view and justify their bounties. If the Mandolarian hadn't gone back for Baby Yoda, it would have been the end. I loved how his fellow Mandolarians came to their rescue. And of course, when he gave the Baby Yoda the ball it was an ahh moment.

The Mandolarians have an interesting culture. I wonder where the foundlings are kept and who is caring for them. I noticed that all the warriors are men and only the armor maker and shaman was a woman. I look forward to learning more about our Mandolarian's past and the events that have caused his PTSD. I can't wait to see what happens next. Where is he going with his new child? 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I wonder where the foundlings are kept and who is caring for them. I noticed that all the warriors are men and only the armor maker and shaman was a woman.

Of note was that when the Mandalorian was about to fight with his fellow warrior, the armorer just reminded them that their secrecy was what kept them safe, only one of them being in the field, pretty much. And they actually listened to her and didn't end up squaring off. This is the way, indeed.

• Love 2

Something I’m not exactly understanding:  how come the Mandalorians are making such a big deal about not removing their helmets when there are numerous canonical examples (film and tv) that dispute such a tradition?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, revbfc said:

Something I’m not exactly understanding:  how come the Mandalorians are making such a big deal about not removing their helmets when there are numerous canonical examples (film and tv) that dispute such a tradition?

There are multiple factions. My guess, these are hardliners, claiming they're the only ones that practice the traditions in the proper way.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

my guess would be that the Mandos don't care so much about the bounty hunter guild "code". 

The Boss Mandalorian must be related to Captain Hector Barbossa -  "It's not a code per se, more like guidelines"

• Love 10

Do we know anything about The Child's background/lineage that I missed? Because I'm getting super attached to Mando & Baby Yoda as an adoptive family and I need to curb my expectations now if the season ends with Mando delivering the baby back to his birth family/home planet.

• Love 4
On 11/22/2019 at 9:33 AM, Anduin said:

My question: why are the trackers still active? There must be something implanted in the kid. The logical move would be to disable or outright remove it. Unless it has some kind of anti-tamper mechanism, possibly explosive.

My other question: if he's never removed his helmet, how does he eat, sleep, or clean the helmet's inside?

Or wash his face ?  Shampoo his hair ?  Or shave ?

I figured the tracker was in the cradle, but apparently not.  Going to miss that floating cradle.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Or wash his face ?  Shampoo his hair ?  Or shave ?

Instead of a jet pack, he selected a grooming pack that purifies his urine and sprays it through mini shower heads arrayed around the suit for that full body clean feeling......

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, wlk68 said:

IDisney+ is totally worth the subscription price just for this show alone.

Totally agree! We were about to sign up but then I heard that you can get it for free for a year through Verizon so we did that instead. 

5 hours ago, Sue Anne said:

Did anyone else think, "Baby Yoda could choke on that ball," or was it just me?

YES! I was like, hello Mando, choking hazard much, you sexy violent beast? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I love it I love it I love it! That moment when all the Mandalorians flew into view to help him was everything! This show is killing it. It’s insane that a faceless almost silent character is able to convey so much.

Was there anything new in the flashbacks to Our Hero’s childhood when his armor was being forged, or was it the same thing as the first time? 

That was a lot of grubby stormtroopers in that building - exactly what is Werner Herzog playing at here?

The still art at the end of the episodes is fantastic. How long until they start selling reproductions of those alongside all the Baby Yoda merch? 😋

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:

Was there anything new in the flashbacks to Our Hero’s childhood when his armor was being forged, or was it the same thing as the first time? 

I thought the part where a killer droid opened his hidey hole was new (and explains why he doesn't like droids), but maybe I just missed that from the first ep.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, revbfc said:

I'm confused as well on Rebels Sabine never wore jer helmet and when she met up with her family they took theirs off as well. That's 90% of my Mandalorian knowledge so i have no idea about this group.

I loved this episode and Pedro Pascal is great, I'm amazed he can emote while hiding behind a mask all the time.

I love Baby Yoda, I want one for Christmas.

I finally figured out who the scientist was, it's Salim from American Gods, that was bugging me.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 11/23/2019 at 8:51 AM, revbfc said:

For that matter when they keep showing the flashbacks to kid Mando neither of the adults hiding him (who I assume are his parents) are wearing helmets.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

For that matter when they keep showing the flashbacks to kid Mando neither of the adults hiding him (who I assume are his parents) are wearing helmets.

It looks like he was adopted by the Mandalorians after his parents died, rather than being born Mando.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Anduin said:

It looks like he was adopted by the Mandalorians after his parents died, rather than being born Mando.

I'm guessing it will be a Mando that saves him. That's how he becomes a foundling in the Mando culture.

Baby Yoda was too cute in this episode. Dropping down from his carrier, going after the ball, looking sad when Mando took it away. He's a totally chill baby, so hearing him actually cry when the doctor took him away was heartbreaking.

I wonder what the sin that the episode title refers to is? Breaking the bounty hunter code? When I first heard the episode title, I thought, Oh no, he's going to deliver the baby, and that will be the sin.

I'm guessing the trackers are still active, so it's going to be hard to keep baby yoda safe. I still wish we knew how the trackers worked. In typical Star Wars fashion, they can track someone galaxies away, but all the tracker can do is beep and flash when you're close. lol

• Love 10

Really good episode.  It was great to finally see the Mandalorians in (live) action.

I'm glad Greef survived.  Carl Weathers is too awesome to lose so quickly.

Baby Yoda continues to be adorable.  How could The Mandalorian even think about handing him over in the first place?

• Love 7
On 11/23/2019 at 4:14 PM, Cthulhudrew said:

I thought the part where a killer droid opened his hidey hole was new (and explains why he doesn't like droids), but maybe I just missed that from the first ep.

The droid was a B2 battle droid used by the Separatists during the Clone Wars.   Are we to assume that was when this attack happened?   I think it aligns with Mando's possible age (assuming its the same as Pedro's).

As for the helmet on/off question - maybe there are different interpretations of the Mandalorian code by different clans.  (Or whatever their sub-groups are called).

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 1

Awww, Mando went back to save the Galaxys cutest baby! I mean, yeah I saw it coming since he first met the baby, but it took him all of half an hour to realize he couldn't leave Baby Yoda behind. I mean, when he started to do his little baby cry when he was being taken by the Storm Troopers, my heart just hurt, no way could he leave him behind for long! Oh Mando, you big softie. 

Seeing all of the Mandalorians together fighting to help Mando was so awesome! Those jet packs were so kickass, no wonder Mando wants one right away. And he gave Baby Yoda the little ball to play with! Such cuteness!! 

Anyway, adorable baby squeeing aside, this was another really great episode, I am loving this show. The world building is totally on point, the effects, both practical and computer, look amazing, and Pedro Pascal is outstanding. Its so impressive how he manages to create a whole character and really how his emotions and personality without every taking his helmet off. I guess this particular clan of Mandalorians are more hard core in the old beliefs than maybe some other groups seen in the franchise so far, although I do hope that they can at least maybe take those helmets off to, like, eat and stuff? 

The paintings at the end of each episode are a nice touch. 

The Mandalorians culture really puts a lot of emphasis on adaption and foundlings as the future of their society, and Mando himself was a foundling adopted by them, so that adds another reason why its hard for him to deal with giving up an abandoned baby. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, jcin617 said:

The droid was a B2 battle droid used by the Separatists during the Clone Wars.   Are we to assume that was when this attack happened?   I think it aligns with Mando's possible age (assuming its the same as Pedro's).

Speaking of the prequels, I read on another message board that baby Yoda (I still prefer Yoda Junior) being 50 puts his birth around the same time as Anakin. Maybe Baby Yoda was actually the chosen one.

• Love 8

Did a mini-binge and have come to two important conclusions:

1) Friday needs to get here stat because there is just too much sad baby Yoda on tumblr

2) I'm all for merch but what I realllly want Disney to do is a life-size animatronic baby Yoda at Disneyworld, complete with floating stroller. That should be manageable with magnets or a hidden propeller or something, yeah? I'm gonna miss that stroller.

• Love 6
On 11/23/2019 at 5:42 AM, Sue Anne said:

Did anyone else think, "Baby Yoda could choke on that ball," or was it just me?

That baby caught and swallowed a much larger frog.  While he's obviously still a baby, he's also 50 years old and has learned a thing or two.  

"Frogs are food and balls are toys." 

"If I really try hard, I can use my mind to make things happen, but it makes me very tired and I need to be sure that someone I can trust is around to take care of me while I sleep for afterwards."

"Mandalorian is good, Nazi guys are bad.  Mandalorian screwed up and gave me to the Nazi's but he came back for me, so I'll forgive him."

I want to see the Mandalorian try to figure out what and how often Baby needs to be fed.  Give the kid a bath, I want to see him splashing the water.  I imagine that Baby doesn't need diapers anymore, but I'd have loved to see the Mandalorian stick a clothespin under his helmet while changing him.

Just small snippets of fatherhood while outrunning the rest of the universe and fighting the bad guys.

• LOL 2
  • Love 11

I want to like this. Actually, I want to love this. But the lack of female characters in the scenes are killing me. Even baby Yoda was given the pronoun of “he” this last episode. There are even more women the background from the images the new Star Wars movie then there are in actual scenes for The Mandalorian. I know there are female characters coming-but this is ridiculous. At least this episode had a female director-can’t wait to see her directing the Obi Wan show.

I’m going to keep watching on the hopes it’ll get better. Maybe we’ll get lucky because Dave Filioni is a producer, maybe we’ll see Sabine or Ahsoka. I mean, with a show about Mandalorians, Sabine Wren should at least warrant a mention. Mando is obviously part of a different clan than Sabine-like other posters said she would take her helmet off all the time. So would other people in her clan (which surprise, included other women Mandalorians). So I’m hoping eventually we’d see other clans.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

I want to like this. Actually, I want to love this. But the lack of female characters in the scenes are killing me.

The Armorer is definitely female.  Looks to me like she actually runs that clan.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, DesiJF said:

The Armorer is definitely female.  Looks to me like she actually runs that clan.

Yeeeeeeah. I know. The only woman to speak in three episodes. Also, the only visible woman (ironically masked) compared to the no women in the bar scenes, other Mandalorians, Storm Troopers, Bounty Hunters, and basic background characters. I thought I spotted a couple in the market but it was hard to tell.

Its frustrating. Especially coming off of watching Star Wars Rebels where Filioni treated his women characters as actual characters and had women in background shots.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

Yeeeeeeah. I know. The only woman to speak in three episodes. Also, the only visible woman (ironically masked) compared to the no women in the bar scenes, other Mandalorians, Storm Troopers, Bounty Hunters, and basic background characters. I thought I spotted a couple in the market but it was hard to tell.

Its frustrating. Especially coming off of watching Star Wars Rebels where Filioni treated his women characters as actual characters and had women in background shots.

I get what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure there are some big-time women characters coming up, just from looking at the trailer.  As far as Star Wars Rebels, I've never seen it, although I'm going to trying and work my way through all the SW animated content at some point.

Also, how do you know there were no women aliens in the bar scene?  LOL

I guess I'm just not too bothered at this point.  I guess we'll see where they go in the second half of the season.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

I want to like this. Actually, I want to love this. But the lack of female characters in the scenes are killing me. Even baby Yoda was given the pronoun of “he” this last episode. There are even more women the background from the images the new Star Wars movie then there are in actual scenes for The Mandalorian. I know there are female characters coming-but this is ridiculous. At least this episode had a female director-can’t wait to see her directing the Obi Wan show.

I really felt like that watching the first episode but forgot to comment on it.  They did hook me with Baby Yoda but I agree, they need to fix it soon.  

• Love 3

Also, the only visible woman (ironically masked) compared to the no women in the bar scenes, other Mandalorians, Storm Troopers, Bounty Hunters, and basic background characters. I thought I spotted a couple in the market but it was hard to tell.

Oh there were for sure women in the background of most of the crowd scenes. In the bar scenes, it can be hard to say because of the heavy alien makeup that most of the bounty hunters get.

There certainly could have been more female characters at this point, and I wish there had been. But representational issues have changed a lot over the past few years (as tracked by the various watchdog groups), so I'm not as bothered by this as I would have been in previous years. It also helps that the Armorer's had significant screen time, that she's a very non-stereotypical character concept, and that I know that both Ming-Na Wen and Gina Carano will be appearing in future episodes.

• Love 2
On 11/27/2019 at 1:06 PM, SnoGirl said:

I'm pretty sure I spotted a female Twi'lek in the background of one episode. And we don't actually know if baby Yoda is a girl. Plus the cast and trailer does include female characters, so I'm not going to get up in arms yet.

Plus, the Armorer seems pretty commanding and badass, so hopefully she'll get more screen time.

• Love 1

When Mando turned over Baby Yoda to Werner Herzog and the Doctor, he instantly knew that it was a mistake.  

Armorer's helmet was distracting.  I kept wondering how she got it from Dr. Fate. 

The Mandalorians are badasses.  Hopefully, we see how they live nowadays and how they lived in the past before the Great Purge.

I like you, Greef Karga, but nobody gets between Baby Yoda and his Daddy.  Glad you survived.

On 11/22/2019 at 3:19 AM, Jediknight said:

Baby Yoda finally got the ball.

Yes! As a new parent, Mando gets a pass.  He'll be stumbling and learning what he should/shouldn't do with Baby Yoda.  I'm all in!

• Love 2

I'm starting to get more into the characters of the show now, rather than just the iconography. Well, I say characters, so far it's really only a masked bounty hunter and a cute puppet. But I like that Mando's, for want of a better word, humanity is beginning to kick in.

He just couldn't stop thinking about Baby Yoda and the fate that might await it, despite everything that he is telling him he shouldn't. Then again, maybe Baby Yoda is using Force suggestion to coerce Mando into rescuing him.

I guess he was meant to look like a badass talking out all those Stormtroopers but... they're Stormtroopers. They exist only to be dispatched easily, but this lot were a new low in obliviousness. They displayed video game bad guy levels of intelligence.

I love that the speeder driving droid had more of a sense of its own mortality than the bounty hunter droid did.

I do agree that there needs to be more women in this show. Not necessarily as love interests, although one glaring fault I have with Disney's Star Wars is that it lacks the sexual tension and sense of attraction that the original movies had. At the core of those films was the triangle between Han, Luke and Leia, and one of Luke's first calls to adventure was "she's beautiful."

• Love 5