Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: So Long, Marianne

• Start Topic

Don’t be a baby and whine to your friends about Avocado-Gate being so hard to get past.

Is that text even about Avocado-gate? For all we know it's about Shawna bringing a pineapple cake to the party and he's tempted to eat it instead of some of his fake cheese. Maybe it's about somebody at the gym who keeps telling him he still looks fat. His ex could have said something snide to him about having a kid. Or maybe even his mother who put him through the ringer. 

They are playing the "Three's Company" pronoun game. It could be anything. Kate will probably let it fester for a few months before confronting Toby. And Toby will be stunned that she would think that a grown person would be so childish to go whining to a bunch of new acquaintances that he was only the second person to feed his child an Avocado. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
12 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

In the flash-forward to the 40th birthday, she somehow wandered far away to find a bakery and ended up buying roses instead, before treating herself to some Chinese food and being driven back to the cabin by the police officer. She must have known the location of the cabin, or somehow someone found the phone number there. My question is: wouldn't Rebecca know Miguel's phone number, even if she needs to refer to her phone for other numbers? She referred to not knowing "my son's" (Kevin's, as it turned out) number because it was stored in her lost phone. There are certain numbers I know without needing to refer to my phone, but maybe that's part of her dementia.

I assume the police officers looked up her emergency contact, which seems to be Kevin (though it COULD be Miguel or even Kate). She told them that she was visiting relatives so they know she's not from around here. So the police officers likely called her emergency contact, who told them where to bring her. 

I assume Rebecca, at this point, can't remember any phone numbers without them being in her phone. 

It really does seem like Randall may disagree with the course of treatment with Rebecca and that's where the falling out occurs. 

I do wonder, if she's that far advanced in her dementia, how she got all the way to the city alone. I'm not saying that she's super far in her dementia where she can't remember anything, but she's definitely worse in the flash forward than she is for Thanksgiving, so I have to wonder what happened there. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, kili said:

Is that text even about Avocado-gate? For all we know it's about Shawna bringing a pineapple cake to the party and he's tempted to eat it instead of some of his fake cheese. Maybe it's about somebody at the gym who keeps telling him he still looks fat. His ex could have said something snide to him about having a kid. Or maybe even his mother who put him through the ringer. 

They are playing the "Three's Company" pronoun game. It could be anything. Kate will probably let it fester for a few months before confronting Toby. And Toby will be stunned that she would think that a grown person would be so childish to go whining to a bunch of new acquaintances that he was only the second person to feed his child an Avocado. 

That's what the writers are trying to relate? I don't think so.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

Lady Kryptonite is not a screen name. It’s a contact Toby put into his phone. That is the big hint right there. 

He had some of the other people in the group text listed with nicknames too so I'm guessing that he has nicknames for everyone. Sorry it's kind of fuzzy but you can still see that no one is listed with a regular first and last name.

272383964_thisisus1.thumb.jpg.bc177ee9bf47e73ace417e6d87078a42.jpg1232104274_thisisus2.thumb.jpg.3ba07b5b36919730579bd804ce136e92.jpg

• Love 1
10 hours ago, JKL845 said:

yeah, never mind, my mistake. I just rewatched and Rebecca tells them she is out there visiting relatives. Must be Kevin's new place. On the police uniform it says Bethlehem so it is in PA.

Isn’t it the family cabin? 

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I assume the police officers looked up her emergency contact, which seems to be Kevin (though it COULD be Miguel or even Kate). She told them that she was visiting relatives so they know she's not from around here. So the police officers likely called her emergency contact, who told them where to bring her. 

I assume Rebecca, at this point, can't remember any phone numbers without them being in her phone. 

Do you mean her emergency contact in her phone?  Or something else?  Because we saw that she did not have her phone. 

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Yes, it was Thanksgiving. Rebecca went to see the long movie on Thanksgiving

Yes that is what I thought, that is why the story that she would go to a movie that day with so much family coming is dumb.  But maybe the fact that Miguel is ok with that, aka denial, is what causes Randal to try to take over her care and maybe that causes the rift.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

Do you mean her emergency contact in her phone?  Or something else?  Because we saw that she did not have her phone. 

Right, she doesn't have her phone (having left it at the grocery store when paying for the roses). So I don't know how the police found any emergency contact information for her, unless she carries it printed out in her wallet. 

ETA: I'm willing to handwave this since perhaps the cops were able to trace her movements back to the grocery store or someone at the grocery store called her ICE. If we can handwave Rebecca wearing a trenchcoat in August, anything is possible.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 1

So, let's discuss whether or not we think it was the family cabin where the birthday celebration was being held.  I thought it was put up for sale, but maybe it hasn't sold yet.  Or, did Kevin buy it, out of nostalgia?  And, was there any of that hallucinogenic mushroom smoothie left in the fridge, sampled by all, and causing this whole thing to be one whole big group hallucination, heightened by the fact that the smoothie is a year or two old?

We established that it was back in PA, not LA, when the cops commented how far from home (LA) she was and she said she was out here visiting family.  Why was Kate in PA?  Was it just for their b-day? If they are in PA, why wasn't Nicky at the party? (Wait, where is Nicky's trailer?  Close to Philly or hours away?) 

I am in the camp who thinks that the rift between kevin and Randall is caused by disagreement over their mother's care.  I note that, in the long-game flash forward, her deathbed was in Kevin's house, not in a care center. Then again, they could have placed her in a care facility and she came home to family to die.  

And finally, one strike against Kate, in my book, is that, when Beth told her "evil" story, Kate didn't immediately jump in to comfort Beth.  Most women would have said something like, "Oh my gosh, you know Deja loves and appreciates you too. It's just that she hasn't seen her mom in so long."  Instead, Kate's only comment is, "That IS evil."  (Or something like that.) She didn't even seem to be saying that playfully to get a smile from Beth. Beth didn't get the chance to comfort Kate, because they were interrupted after Kate's story.  Both women are pretty forthright and have good senses of humor, but I thought it was a bit selfish that Kate didn't try to comfort her sister-in-law. 

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 18
25 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

Not her phone, but I assume there's a way they can look up her name and find an emergency contact there, since this is for a medical reason. I assume it would be under Rebecca's official records that any law enforcement officer could access in a case like this.

• Useful 1

I kind of wish there were some official record like that on all of us (privacy enthusiasts would disagree), but for now there's no universal database like that. Unless Rebecca had been in the PD's system before, she wouldn't be there at all. 

• Love 5

While I don't know where Kevin's cabin is located, It does look to be out there and probably near a smaller town.  A town where everyone would know that the "Manny" Kevin Pearson has moved into.  They would all know where Kevin lives because they are nosy benches who want the tea as it were.  We see the cops look at Rebecca's California drivers license and remark that she is a long way from LA.  It's not too far of a stretch for the officers to figure out where Rebecca's son lives.  

• Love 5
6 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Yeah I've been debating between kept Pearson and didn't bother to sign the full hyphened name and why take the time to show the actual form instead of just Kate at the table writing.  With any other show I'd say it means something for them to show the form and signature, that it's a wasted shot to do that over the shoulder onto the form thing for no reason.  On the other hand this is a show that doesn't mind red herrings and misdirection's.  So at this point I guess I'd say it caught my eye and made me think but it could mean a lot or nothing at all.

Maybe it was more for the date than the signature? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

So, let's discuss whether or not we think it was the family cabin where the birthday celebration was being held.  I thought it was put up for sale, but maybe it hasn't sold yet.  Or, did Kevin buy it, out of nostalgia?  And, was there any of that hallucinogenic mushroom smoothie left in the fridge, sampled by all, and causing this whole thing to be one whole big group hallucination, heightened by the fact that the smoothie is a year or two old?

I decided to look up pictures of the family cabin. It is actually the cabin that the family had. So it seems like the cabin never actually sold, or Kevin got it back. 

5 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

I kind of wish there were some official record like that on all of us (privacy enthusiasts would disagree), but for now there's no universal database like that. Unless Rebecca had been in the PD's system before, she wouldn't be there at all. 

But there's no way that they wouldn't be able to look up Rebecca's name and address and see an emergency contact number as long as Rebecca registered someone as her emergency contact, right? It's similar to next of kin when someone's in the hospital. Unless someone didn't list any emergency contacts, I would assume that the police would be able to find Miguel (her husband), right? It wouldn't need to be connected to an arrest record, I would think. 

I'm hoping anyone with actual experience would be able to clarify because I always assumed that you just need to provide that information under some sort of database, whether it's with your insurance or the DMV. And since the police had Rebecca's driver's license, I would think it would have been very easy to contact whoever she listed as an emergency contact, and I can't imagine Rebecca NOT having an emergency contact. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

On my phone and can't link, but there was a Tvline interview earlier today that said it was the Pearson cabin they were at in the flash forward. Not sure if that is fact, or if the interviewer made the assumption,  but the producer didn't correct them.

16 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

So, let's discuss whether or not we think it was the family cabin where the birthday celebration was being held.  I thought it was put up for sale, but maybe it hasn't sold yet.  Or, did Kevin buy it, out of nostalgia? 

I didn't even remember the family cabin until I saw it mentioned in this thread. Maybe it was the family cabin. I assumed it was once people started mentioning it here.  It's certainly not Kevin's swanky house in the 12(?)-year flash-forward. 

2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

But there's no way that they wouldn't be able to look up Rebecca's name and address and see an emergency contact number as long as Rebecca registered someone as her emergency contact, right? It's similar to next of kin when someone's in the hospital. Unless someone didn't list any emergency contacts, I would assume that the police would be able to find Miguel (her husband), right? It wouldn't need to be connected to an arrest record, I would think. 

I'm hoping anyone with actual experience would be able to clarify because I always assumed that you just need to provide that information under some sort of database, whether it's with your insurance or the DMV. And since the police had Rebecca's driver's license, I would think it would have been very easy to contact whoever she listed as an emergency contact, and I can't imagine Rebecca NOT having an emergency contact. 

I don't remember having to provide an emergency contact for the DMV or insurance. It's possible, but I have no recollection of it. My ICE definitely has changed since my last DL was issued.

• Love 2
On 11/20/2019 at 1:28 AM, colorbars said:

Annie is always adorable, and I loved Tess' little subplot this episode. She has great taste in women too! Glad her classmates were supportive.

I'm glad she's happy, but nowadays, a girl saying someone like Zendaya, or Gaga, or Rihanna is her celebrity crush would probably not make other teens assume she is gay. Girls are "allowed" to have crushes on female celebrities,  especially ones who are generally considered to be good looking in a "femine" way, or exceedingly talented. If she had said her crush was a more androgynous appearing female celebrity, or perhaps a gay or bisexual female celebrity,  then people might think differently. 

I also think that although times are changing, if a guy picked Harry Styles or a Jonas brother as his celebrity crush, other teens might assume he was gay. Maybe not so much if he picked a (straight) sports star, because that could be seen as idolizing more than as crushing.  Anyway, I think girls have more freedom in this area.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16
4 hours ago, PRgal said:

Lucy's pregnant.  Many pregnant women like weird things anyway, so you never know. 

ETA:  In reference to the flash forward scene, of course. 🙂 

Aren't hot dogs and cheese also part of the Pearson Thanksgiving tradition?  I could've sworn Russell Randall referenced hot dogs when he went into the kitchen.

It was completely illogical that Rebecca would leave to go see a 3.5-hour movie on Thanksgiving (no matter how annoyed she is at Russell Randall), but it was also illogical that everyone at the end of August would be dressed like it was the end of November.  It was a writers' contrivance, and it was a stupid, cheap way for them to achieve the "Gotcha!" moment they were going for.

• LOL 3
  • Love 14
12 hours ago, JKL845 said:

I just rewatched and Rebecca tells them she is out there visiting relatives. Must be Kevin's new place. On the police uniform it says Bethlehem so it is in PA.

I thought that she might wind up back in Pittsburgh at the site of the burned-down family home,  because that is the address she'd most likely recall.

• Love 19
6 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Aren't hot dogs and cheese also part of the Pearson Thanksgiving tradition?  I could've sworn Russell Randall referenced hot dogs when he went into the kitchen.

I think it's from that long ago Thanksgiving at the cabin when the only thing they could find to eat were hot dogs from a convenience store in the area.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, kili said:

Rebecca: I was halfway through the trailer of Cats when I couldn't remember what movie I went to go see. 

I can relate. That trailer has that effect on people.

I know I certainly HOPED for that effect when I saw the trailer for that movie!

12 hours ago, Sarah Heart said:

.. I loved it! I'm warming to Nicky, he has such great lines.

My favorite was the following throw away exchange between Kevin & Nicky:

Nicky: I really need to get to know Russell

Kevin: Randall  

Nicky: See?

I laughed outloud at Nicky’s dry delivery of “See?”  

• LOL 10
  • Love 9
15 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I thought that she might wind up back in Pittsburgh at the site of the burned-down family home,  because that is the address she'd most likely recall.

I totally expected that's where she'd be as the camera pulled back. The cabin was a surprise. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

Is it possible that the flash-forward to the 40th birthday where Kevin has a pregnant fiancee doesn't match to the young-ish child Kevin apparently has in the long-game flash-forward (deathbed Rebecca with Nicky at her side)? I'm thinking about the timelines and whether they match for this pregnancy to be that child. The split-second glimpse we saw of Son-of-Kevin, he looked to be around ten, I thought. I'm not quite sure how far in the future that flash-forward is, but isn't Tess a social worker? Presumably that would place her in her midtwenties and Current Tess is younger than Deja, who is fourteen. That would place the time-frame between Current Tess and Social Worker Tess as anywhere from ten-twelve years. So it is possible that this child Kevin's fiancee is pregnant with isn't in fact the Son-of-Kevin we saw in the flash-forward. 

Unless I have some math wrong somewhere, which may be possible.

• Love 1

Normally I would say that Kevin apparently meeting (or reconnecting) with someone, getting engaged to them, and her getting pregnant seemed to be moving super fast, but Toby and Kate met, got married, and had a kid in a pretty big rush, so I guess thats on brand for Pearsons. Of course, thats not exactly going so well...

I really think that Toby and Kate need to talk. Not to Cross-Fit friends, not to sisters in law, but to each other. I think its great that Toby is getting in shape (again, heart attack!) but I also think he needs to spend more time with Kate and baby Jack, and less time with his Cross-Fit Cult* so that Kate feels less alone and overwhelmed. On the other hand, Kate seems to be so upset that Toby lost weight, which kind of does suck that she is unhappy with his success, and a lot of his time is spent at work, which, you know, he kind of needs to be at to support their family. We dont really even know why he has become so obsessed with cross fit lately, is he feeling scared still of his heart attack? Are they giving him more support then Kate does? There are clearly issues here that go far beyond Toby just finding a new hobby. And, honestly, Kate tends to be the kind of person who resents people she sees as being skinnier than her, or more successful than her, and tries to bring them down, like with Madison or that girl in the bar when she didnt get the singing job. I can see a lot of that with Toby here.  She strikes me as the type who just likes being unhappy sometimes. 

Oh Beth, thats not evil, its a very human response. Its not that she wanted Dejas bio mom to be doing badly, but she felt like Deja might not need her as a mom anymore and that hurt her, but she was the one who Deja talked to when she was sad. Poor Deja, it must be tough to be both happy for her mom doing well, but also feel kind of hurt and angry that she couldn't get her act together when Deja was there, which led to her having a lot of terrible experiences, or left feeling that she was the one holding her mom back the whole time.  

It was nice to get even a brief Kevin and Beth scene, as they have an interesting friendship that I liked seeing develop. That just makes me even sadder about the future riff, if they arent talking to Randall, they probably arent talking to Beth and the girls! What will they do without cool Uncle Kevin?!

*I know a few people that do cross-fit, and some do it just as a hobby and a thing that they do and it doesent come up much, and others that really do become just obsessed with it, its all they talk about, everyone they hang out with if from cross-fit, they are always trying to recruit people like a bunch of really healthy meth dealers, it does seem a bit cult-y when some people do it. Of course here, its less about cross-fit, its about Toby and Kate and their issues. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, Mars477 said:

So I would imagine he would have a better idea of what “looks realistic” than some random on the Internet.

Or grown-up Jack  was doing what the director told him to do and this was the fourth take. 

I can see a blind person having a good feel for how many steps from his sink to his table but I would also expect him to have to do a little feeling with one hand to know for sure that he wasn't setting the edge of the shrimp platter over the edge of something else.  I think the truth lies  somewhere in between, "blind people are incompetent "  and "blind people have developed compensating super powers."  I know my house really well and without my glasses things are only very blurry, not totally dark, but I still bang into door frames and counter tops getting from my bed to the bathroom  if I don't put my glasses on for the trip -- which I don't always do because I tend to knock them off the nightstand while feeling for them.

I think the timeline for Thanksgiving-Rebecca wasn't too odd if you think that she and Miguel were staying at Randall's (probably had to make their own beds) and so Rebecca had been up real early making the cranberry sauce.  She saw that Randall was still a little angry when he got up so she thought she could get out of the way, take in a movie and still be back in plenty of time for the others to arrive, if dinner wasn't planned until two or three.  It seems like everyone said they were early so maybe she didn't think she was missing anything.

I liked the sisterly sharing between Kate and Beth.  Yes I wanted Kate to tell Beth that what she was feeling was only natural and nobody could ever replace Beth in Deja's heart, but then that wouldn't be the Kate we know.  At least,  "That is evil," was followed by Kate's confession that was supposed to be even more evil, "I hate Cross Fit Toby!"  If anything I thought Kate might have felt a little rebuffed by Beth when she implied she shouldn't be talking to her about it.

At first, I was on Toby's side about losing weight and taking time to workout for his health, but it seems like this Cross Fit  thing has become a very time consuming religion and I'm starting to understand Kate's resentment.  A thirty minute a day home work out  is about all that's needed for good health, anything more than that is just a vanity thing.  Which is fine if that's all you have to do but Toby has other things.  My husband has heart problems and his doctor recommends daily brisk walking.  Those stunts like jumping from the floor to a four foot high block look like suicide to me.

eh. I cross-posted (no calories burned, unfortunately ) with Tennisgirl who said some of the same things only better, but I'll leave it.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Not her phone, but I assume there's a way they can look up her name and find an emergency contact there, since this is for a medical reason. I assume it would be under Rebecca's official records that any law enforcement officer could access in a case like this.

They could see if she was a property owner in the area and get her address that way.  She or someone in the family still owns that cabin, so they are on the tax rolls.  I would have thought the grocery cashier or manager might have called a contact on her phone since Rebecca seemed pleasant but possibly with memory problems. 

I thought answering her question about where Randall was with "we're not talking" was on the petty/childish/unnecessary side.  Why say that to your lost, confused mother and possibly further upset her?  Just say he can't come. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Also stupid - Gregory not asking permission before putting avocado in Jack's mouth. If someone has a baby that's less than a year old, you specifically ask before introducing a food to them. Saying "here's some for Jack!" and then putting the spoon in his mouth is not cool. At all.

I thought I was the only one to have thought that! I think I actually said out loud "What are you doing?" I don't know a lot about what babies that young can actually eat, but I wasn't at all sure that avocado was a good thing to be feeding him.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Is it possible that the flash-forward to the 40th birthday where Kevin has a pregnant fiancee doesn't match to the young-ish child Kevin apparently has in the long-game flash-forward (deathbed Rebecca with Nicky at her side)? I'm thinking about the timelines and whether they match for this pregnancy to be that child. The split-second glimpse we saw of Son-of-Kevin, he looked to be around ten, I thought. I'm not quite sure how far in the future that flash-forward is, but isn't Tess a social worker? Presumably that would place her in her midtwenties and Current Tess is younger than Deja, who is fourteen. That would place the time-frame between Current Tess and Social Worker Tess as anywhere from ten-twelve years. So it is possible that this child Kevin's fiancee is pregnant with isn't in fact the Son-of-Kevin we saw in the flash-forward. 

Unless I have some math wrong somewhere, which may be possible.

Could be a second child.  Kevin said he wanted to be married and have a family, correct?

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

eh. I cross-posted (no calories burned, unfortunately ) with Tennisgirl who said some of the same things only better, but I'll leave it.

*blushes*. Dont sell yourself short, I think you said everything wonderfully!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, greekmom said:

I really don't get it.  I have had 2 children and they are WAY overdoing the importance of seeing baby Jack actually eat his first solid food. Plus first solid foods babies eat isn't avacados or jar baby food but cereal with breast or formula milk.  Then they move onto tasting mushed fruits, veggies and meat.  Seriously, both Toby and Kate are making a WAY big deal out of this.  What happens when baby Jack walks for the first time which is an important milestone.  A marching band and cake? 

OMG they are making too much of a big deal about all of Jack's "firsts." It makes Kate and Toby look to me like lunatics who quibble over every single damn triviality. I know parents who have kids and they are so busy juggling so much that they do not even pay attention to these "firsts." Big deal that Jack had avocado and Toby did not feed him his first solid food. Toby and Kate are so wrapped up in so much silly minutiae they will give each other meltdowns. They seem so unprepared for the realities of parenthood. What will they do the first time Jack crawls or takes his first step? It could happen when he is being watched by a babysitter and they both will have nervous breakdowns. 

ETA: and I honestly think their style of parenting would never produce a "normal" kid. They would drive a kid totally crazy and make a kid totally unable to cope with the harsh realities of life and all the angst connected with growing up. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 14
9 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I think they're revealing that Toby is oversharing with his Crossfit buddies, and also teasing viewers with the prospect of a sexual affair that isn't happening. I think it's very intentional that the text was from someone with "Lady" in their name, who said that she would be there for him - as opposed to "we're here for you."

Those details will make Kate a lot more insecure than if she had just seen Toby's text.

She could very well start to think that, especially given the insecurities she was already feeling about her body and Toby's attraction to her, but I don't think that's where her mind went last night.

1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I'm glad she's happy,  but nowadays,  a girl saying someone like Zendaya, or Gaga, or Rihanna is her celebrity crush would probably not make other teens assume she is gay. Girls are "allowed" to have crushes on female celebrities,  especially ones who are generally considered to be good looking in a "femine" way, or exceedingly talented. If she had said her crush was a more androgynous appearing

female celebrity, or perhaps a gay or bisexual female celebrity,  then people might think differently. 

I also think that although times are changing, if a guy picked Harry Styles or a Jonas brother as his celebrity crush, other teens might assume he was gay. Maybe not so much if he picked a (straight) sports star, because that could be seen as idolizing more than as crushing.  Anyway, I think girls have more freedom in this area.

I don't entirely disagree, but for someone struggling with coming out, that's not something they'd view as casual, it's something they'd struggle with because of that fear of how it would be viewed.

But on the other hand, it's not necessarily a freedom, it can be curse too, as a lot of gay/bi girls' sexualities or relationships are waved away as girl crushes or gal pals. 

Either way, I'm not surprised her classmates to that as coming out, considering how serious the other people were taking the meme and if nobody else was posting female celebrity crushes, etc.

Edited by colorbars
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, colorbars said:

Either way, I'm not surprised her classmates to that as coming out, considering how serious the other people were taking the meme and if nobody else was posting female celebrity crushes, etc.

But did her classmates' reactions confirm their recognition that she had just come out, or were they just confirming that Zendaya was a cool choice? Tess may find out on Monday  that her sexual preference is still unknown by her peers.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, buckboard said:

As far as the question of how did the police know to bring Rebecca to the cabin, perhaps the family had reported her missing.  

After all this avocado talk, I just had an avocado for lunch.  My wife got out of the shower and complained: "You ate an avocado without me!!"  🙂

Uh-oh, trouble in paradise. How dare you not waiting until she could be there to watch you eat. You know how important it is!

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

But did her classmates' reactions confirm their recognition that she had just come out, or were they just confirming that Zendaya was a cool choice? Tess may find out on Monday  that her sexual preference is still unknown by her peers.

Tess's reaction suggested (to me, at least) that her classmates understood that she was coming and were showing support. I don't think her social media would be blowing up if they thought she was just saying, "I think Zendaya is cool."

2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Or grown-up Jack  was doing what the director told him to do and this was the fourth take. 

I can see a blind person having a good feel for how many steps from his sink to his table but I would also expect him to have to do a little feeling with one hand to know for sure that he wasn't setting the edge of the shrimp platter over the edge of something else.  I think the truth lies  somewhere in between, "blind people are incompetent "  and "blind people have developed compensating super powers."  I know my house really well and without my glasses things are only very blurry, not totally dark, but I still bang into door frames and counter tops getting from my bed to the bathroom  if I don't put my glasses on for the trip -- which I don't always do because I tend to knock them off the nightstand while feeling for them.

Blind people in real life regularly have to deal with people who are convinced they're faking their blindness. Blind people are capable of far more than most sighted people realize - to the point that when sighted people see how easily blind people can get around, they'll insist they can't really be blind.

Case in point: Stevie Wonder being able to grab a falling microphone before it hit the ground, just from hearing it tip over. Ever since a video surfaced showing that, there have been all sorts of conspiracy theories that he's faking his blindness. (Actually, those conspiracy theories started a long time ago. That was just the latest version.)

Picking up a five-pound object from their counter and carrying it to their table would be absolutely no sweat for any of the blind people I've known. It's not a superpower, it's just something they've adapted to. The way sighted people stumble around their houses on occasions when they can't see is a very different story.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 17
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Interesting!  Maybe it's a thing that varies by state.  Here in my rural western state, we are asked for no in-case-of-emergency info for drivers' license or insurance.  

The poster above though, who said that maybe they'd reported her missing and the other poster who said maybe they checked property records are probably right.  Reminds me of a real life story.  I sometimes do Adult Protective Services cases as a prosecutor and one lady with dementia did something so smart, I was impressed and am pretty sure I would not have thought to do myself -- she went to our county assessor's office and asked them to tell her what her address was. They made sure she got home, then called me and I called our Dept. of Family Services to investigate and open a case and offer services.  We ended up getting a family member to be her guardian and conservator.  The down-side was that she was also a hoarder and had four dwellings, a shed, and a HUGE garage all filled to the brim with junk. Yikes!

For the poster above who asked why the clerk didn't just call someone in her phone, I wondered that too, but then remembered that my phone requires a code or my thumbprint to access anything in it. Hmmm...I wonder if it would let someone access my ICE contact though, without my code or thumbprint?!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

For the poster above who asked why the clerk didn't just call someone in her phone, I wondered that too, but then remembered that my phone requires a code or my thumbprint to access anything in it. Hmmm...I wonder if it would let someone access my ICE contact though, without my code or thumbprint?!

Newer model iPhones, at least, are designed to reveal ICE contacts without the passcode. I think most androids allow this too. My phone even allows the user to put in medical information (blood type, medications, conditions etc) on that page. A step too far, in my opinion, but I’m not forced to fill it in and I guess some people find it handy. 

• Useful 1
24 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Newer model iPhones, at least, are designed to reveal ICE contacts without the passcode. I think most androids allow this too. My phone even allows the user to put in medical information (blood type, medications, conditions etc) on that page. A step too far, in my opinion, but I’m not forced to fill it in and I guess some people find it handy. 

My android makes the use of fingerprint or passcode optional.  For a person like Rebecca who has lost phones, and is aware of her memory issues, I doubt if she uses that feature.  What she needs is a life alert necklace or bracelet. 

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Gloriosa said:

No, it's boiled.  It's kind of gray when it's raw.

Plus shrimp isn't super-high in mercury, so for pregnancy, it's fine in moderation.

35 minutes ago, Sarah Heart said:

That's what I was thinking, I bet its child number two! LOL

I love how this show keeps me guessing

And the older one could be part of the "they" coming with Jack.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

My toddler nieces and nephew have called my emergency contacts many times without my faceID or fingerprint. If they can do it, anyone can.

• LOL 1

I was at work in a medical office today, some docs brought up head trauma which can mimic dementia or other cognitive issues.  I thought of Rebecca's car accident.  One article said:

Starting at the top of the body, head injury tops the list because of the risk of trauma to the brain. A fall, even one that seemed less serious, can be followed by significant cognitive problems. The docs also mentioned many cancers, slow growing tumors, (meningioma is one) thyroid, so many. In the past patients were given dementia diagnosis because a lot wasn't known about some symptoms.  My sister had thyroid/hormone issues that made her very forgetful and was scaring my mom. She is on medication now.

Whatever is wrong with Rebecca, doesn't really matter I suppose, it's going to have the same ending. I just hope it's not shown for quite a while in coming shows after the Jan 20th one.

Waiting on the "waiting room" chairs in the preview is one of the worst things with waiting for results at the top.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Cowgirl said:

My Samsung Galaxy S9 permits access to my ICE information when the phone is locked. During last week's episode, Mr Jillybean said Rebecca had the latest iPhone.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, JKL845 said:

Uh-oh, trouble in paradise. How dare you not waiting until she could be there to watch you eat. You know how important it is!

And he's talking to random strangers on the internet about it before his own spouse. LOL. Death knell!!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

Tess's reaction suggested (to me, at least) that her classmates understood that she was coming and were showing support. I don't think her social media would be blowing up if they thought she was just saying, "I think Zendaya is cool."

Blind people in real life regularly have to deal with people who are convinced they're faking their blindness. Blind people are capable of far more than most sighted people realize - to the point that when sighted people see how easily blind people can get around, they'll insist they can't really be blind.

Case in point: Stevie Wonder being able to grab a falling microphone before it hit the ground, just from hearing it tip over. Ever since a video surfaced showing that, there have been all sorts of conspiracy theories that he's faking his blindness. (Actually, those conspiracy theories started a long time ago. That was just the latest version.)

Picking up a five-pound object from their counter and carrying it to their table would be absolutely no sweat for any of the blind people I've known. It's not a superpower, it's just something they've adapted to. The way sighted people stumble around their houses on occasions when they can't see is a very different story.

Not to mention, Jack isn't completely blind. Didn't he say he could see lights and shadows? So navigating in his familiar setting so effectively isn't beyond the realm of believability. 

• Love 3