Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Tempest in a Stew Pot

Pallas
  • Start Topic

Best-laid plans and bans.

Plans:  (1) by: Jackie and Becky; for: the Lunch Box; type: business plan; target: Darlene. (2) by: Mark; for: Thanksgiving; type: ?; target: ?

Bans: (1) by: Dan; for: ?; type: ?; target: Odessa.  

• Love 1

Wow, what a great episode! The writers are killing it, the actors are killing it, the energy is high. I laughed a lot. At times it reminded me of the best original Roseanne episodes. 

I have no complaints. 😁

• Love 14

Harris is really messed up and I am shocked that Darlene or Dan have not caught on yet.  Roseanne would have stopped that crap asap if it was Darlene or Becky.

I don't understand the pushing of both Becky and Jackie.  I get that they want to relive the glory days but they are forgetting that the Lunch Box wasn't all that profitable.  They don't have any start up cash and want Darlene to just allow them to use the space rent free.

I also think that Bev is selfish for not getting her own space.

• Love 19

"At least somebody's in my bed!"

"It's a bear, Becky, you're sick!" 

Oh, my god, that cracked me up. As did Becky and Jackie's attempts to come up with stew puns :D. 

Dan doting on baby Beverly is so cute. And I love Mark. 

20 hours ago, RocknRollZombie said:

The scene with Harris, Odessa, and Dan getting mad at them reminded me of S3 ep her boyfriend’s back when Becky and Mark took out his motorcycle. But of course Becky and Mark didn’t break it, they fixed it but still never touch Dan’s motorcycle.

I thought about that, too. I think this would be a good opportunity for Becky to have a heart to heart conversation with Harris...once Becky and Darlene stop fighting.

And on that note, while I'm all for Jackie and Becky wanting to revive the Lunch Box, I also think Darlene has some valid concerns that they should consider. Running a restaurant is tough enough as it is, but with the town's economic situation in general and whatnot, yeah, I imagine it would be even tougher. Hopefully they can reconcile and sort out the issues with all of this. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 22
7 hours ago, greekmom said:

I don't understand the pushing of both Becky and Jackie.  I get that they want to relive the glory days but they are forgetting that the Lunch Box wasn't all that profitable.  They don't have any start up cash and want Darlene to just allow them to use the space rent free.

And how are they planning to pay for all the equipment and, you know, food to get them started?

• Love 16

Darlene had a point when she said Jackie and Becky should start off small with a food truck. 

I laughed out loud at the bear line between Becky and Darlene. 

And I loved Mark's turkeys! The Odessa one with the safety pin through it's nares cracked me up, heh. 

• Love 19

I think Jackie and Becky are being brats.  They want Darlene to hand over the restaurant no questions asked.   They don’t even have a business plan.   All they have is the idea of something of a time that made Jackie  happy and they are angry at Darlene for not giving it to them.   Honestly her kids are miserable in Landford and with Jackie and Becky acting like she is the enemy I wouldn’t be surprised if the finale is Darlene movie back to The city with her kids.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 12

The irony is that the original Lunch Box couldn't be opened without a cash infusion from Bev, and then never made enough money to be profitable. They opened the original  restaurant based upon copying an amazing sandwich from another restaurant with Bev's money.  Jackie and Becky don't even have someone else's sandwich to steal!  And they still need Bev's support to open, which means that (as noted above) they have no means of paying for the restaurant equipment or food.     I get they they are desperate, but don't they ever learn?  Dan gave up a good, steady job working for the city to open his motorcycle shop.  Becky was once a really good student - with dreams of doing to medical school.  Why can't she go back to school to become a teacher or a nurse or another steady job?  With the proliferation of online courses, I find it hard to believe she can't complete a college degree at a state university at  a reasonable fee.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Love 17

"Yeah, and if you apply yourself, you can be [a millionaire] too."
"Really?"
"No, those days are over."

Perfect.

This was typical Dan, wanting his family to pull together (I love "families always come together for the holidays so they can fight in person"), frustrated by his inability to dissuade his kids away from bad decisions, and expecting someone else to fix it.  It's really poignant, even as I am completely in tune with Darlene's frustration with everyone.

Jackie and Becky having a plan that is clearly done by people who don't have any business knowledge or experience takes me right back to the original Lunchbox plan.  So does trying to come up with a name.  The original series did a better job with the conflict between wanting to play it safe and wanting to take a chance on something that might finally give you some autonomy and a chance, when playing it safe gets you out of the hole for just a short time, but taking a chance doesn't have any better odds.  But this is getting at it, at least.  And the fight between Becky and Darlene was old school, with the combination of going for the jugular and speaking the truths they were always the ones to point out to the other.

And, yeah, Harris and Odessa taking out Dan's bike is like Becky and Mark doing the same.  Only Mark actually knew how to ride (even if he did mess with the carburetor).  And Harris saying she won't hang out with Odessa anymore is like Becky lying that, no, she won't see Mark when Roseanne and Dan ordered her not to.

Mark's turkey place settings made me laugh (especially at Darlene and Harris both wanting their turkey to be the executioner).  As did this exchange between Dan and Becky:

"Bev will live here until she dies, and I'm too old to carry her lifeless body up the stairs."
"Cut her up and make trips."
"See, you can't leave; you're the only one who'll make that joke with me."

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 10
  • Love 14

Dan is too nice. It's his house and I think he should tell Bev she's worn out her welcome. It's not like she'd be homeless; we now know she has money. Becky is being a total brat to her father after he also gave her a place to live and bring her baby. Someone needs to knock Jackie and Becky's heads together. Darlene has screwed up plenty, but they're just being petty.

I did laugh at the argument between Becky and Darlene.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

The irony is that the original Lunch Box couldn't be opened without a cash infusion from Bev, and then never made enough money to be profitable. They opened the original  restaurant based upon copying an amazing sandwich from another restaurant with Bev's money.  Jackie and Becky don't even have someone else's sandwich to steal!  And they still need Bev's support to open, which means that (as noted above) they have no means of paying for the restaurant equipment or food.     I get they they are desperate, but don't they ever learn?  Dan gave up a good, steady job working for the city to open his motorcycle shop.

For continuity - I believe Dan was still doing drywall when he opened the bike shop

Speaking of continuity - why did the basement stairs change again to the hallway?  Weren't they  first on the service porch then later in  the kitchen on the stove wall?

I don't think they need Bev's $$ - Jackie said she has it...,the need the lease

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

And they still need Bev's support to open, which means that (as noted above) they have no means of paying for the restaurant equipment or food. 

It's very likely that the closing restaurant has all the equipment they would need.  That stuff is almost unsaleable, like the fittings in most businesses.
There is a rule of thumb in the restaurant business, that the first guy always goes broke, and part of the reason is fitting out the business.

Getting product at the co-op/wholesaler is cheaper than at the supermarket.

Ugh, horrible flashback, being at the co-op to get soft drinks for our Canada Day stand, and spotting a four gallon tub of poutine gravy mix. Shudder.

• Love 6

How much to start a food truck business? Can you rent? A simple Google says between $30-100k but that's probably owning.

Anyway, as Jackie spit out, she doesn't want a food truck. She wants the memory of the Lunchbox. It's a nice thought but if it happens, it'll be bittersweet and not what she dreams of because the old gang won't be there. 

• Love 13

My big issue isn’t that Jackie and Becky need Bev’s infusion of money it’s that they don’t have any idea what to do with the restaurant.   Yes The Lunch Box copied someone else’s sandwich but it was actually a clever idea by Roseanne and the Restaurant did make enough money to keep everyone afloat in large part because Roseanne knew how to stretch a dollar and had no issue with “borrowing” from other restaurants like napkins and ketchup packs.   

if Darlene is going to give what seems like family inheritance money they at bare minimum need a plan.  And it would be nice if they included her.

In other news I actually really thought Odessa and Harris were funny.  Yes Harris is still being rude and was waaaay out of line even touching Dan’s bike but at least the jokes are funny.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

Why does it feel like Darlene has good points but enjoys saying no to Becky. Imho Darlene feels superior to Becky but she is in the same place as Becky.   They are both living in their parents house with their children.  I feel Becky was in to something when she said she does not want Becky to succeed.  

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, tribeca said:

Why does it feel like Darlene has good points but enjoys saying no to Becky. Imho Darlene feels superior to Becky but she is in the same place as Becky.   They are both living in their parents house with their children.  I feel Becky was in to something when she said she does not want Becky to succeed.  

I’d agree with the fact that Darlene doesn’t want Becky to be more successful than she is. This is complicated by the fact that reopening the lunchbox is not a good idea.  It would be more of a conflict if Darlene were sabatoging a good idea by Becky to make her life better.  But it is a realistic fight since Becky and Jackie won’t admit they were wrong unless they actually fail.  Otherwise they’ll just blame Darlene for the fact that they couldn’t make it financially. 

• Love 10

I don’t understand the entire stew thing. Why would they go with a new menu when the original concept was the loose meat sandwich?  They could start with that and then add additional food items if they were successful. 

I'm usually not a fan of Mark (he usually comes off as too precocious), but he and his paper turkeys were the highlight of the episode to me, especially his reaction to Odessa’s not needing a turkey just as he finished it. I also loved Dan and the baby’s early morning ritual. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

This was typical Dan, wanting his family to pull together (I love "families always come together for the holidays so they can fight in person"), frustrated by his inability to dissuade his kids away from bad decisions, and expecting someone else to fix it.  It's really poignant, even as I am completely in tune with Darlene's frustration with everyone.

Mark's turkey place settings made me laugh (especially at Darlene and Harris both wanting their turkey to be the executioner).  As did this exchange between Dan and Becky:

"Bev will live here until she dies, and I'm too old to carry her lifeless body up the stairs."
"Cut her up and make trips."
"See, you can't leave; you're the only one who'll make that joke with me."

That seems like a corollary to what I always say:  It's not Thanksgiving unless someone is screaming, bleeding, or crying.

And oh my god, hubs and I laughed SO hard at "Cut her up and make trips."  We watch too much Dateline.

3 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I don’t understand the entire stew thing. Why would they go with a new menu when the original concept was the loose meat sandwich?  They could start with that and then add additional food items if they were successful. 

I'm usually not a fan of Mark (he usually comes off as too precocious), but he and his paper turkeys were the highlight of the episode to me, especially his reaction to Odessa’s not needing a turkey just as he finished it. I also loved Dan and the baby’s early morning ritual. 

Right?  Is loose meat suddenly déclassé?  Was it ever...classé??

SON OF A BUTTERCUP! is my new family-friendly exclamation of frustration 🙂

• LOL 6
  • Love 10

I wonder if the inheritance issue is leading to Bev's death, which would probably take it out of Darlene's hands. Would hate to lose Estelle Parsons, but it might give money to Jackie & Becky. Also, if Darlene is so knowledgeable about business to ask the right questions about opening a business, why isn't she doing better herself?

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Lovecat said:

SON OF A BUTTERCUP! is my new family-friendly exclamation of frustration

And Dan still scolded him for language! Personally, I use "mother trucker" a lot but I'll add son of a buttercup to my repertoire.

I loved Jackie describing Darlene and Bev as being "95 pounds of angry gristle."

Darlene really does have a solid point especially now that she can rent out the Lunch Box on a three year lease. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, as they say. The Conners actually does a great job of showing us realistic problems where you can see both sides of the issue. I'm interested in seeing how they resolve it.

I loved Becky and Darlene's whole fight. I feel sorry for Dan now that Bev is moving into the basement and he won't get to hang out with the baby Bev in the mornings. Trading the new Bev for the old Bev, poor Dan.

I like how exasperated Dan was when Jackie knocked on the door and he had to get up to answer it. 

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Darlene really does have a solid point especially now that she can rent out the Lunch Box on a three year lease. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, as they say. The Conners actually does a great job of showing us realistic problems where you can see both sides of the issue. I'm interested in seeing how they resolve it.

I confess, I don't see Jackie and Becky's side of this at all because it makes no sense whatsoever.  They have no money to get a restaurant going, they won't be able to pay rent for a year (at the very least!), wtf do they know about making delicious stew, don't know if anyone but some people in a parking lot would go to a just-stew restaurant, and Becky would be giving up a job that actually pays money.  What are Becky and Jackie going to live on the first year if they aren't making profit?  They have no plan!  It's just an idea and an unworkable one.  Mark has a far better chance of becoming the next Martha Stewart than Jackie and Becky have of running a successful restaurant.  On top of that, giving up 3 years of contracted rent is foolish.  There is no "both sides" when one "side" does not take reality into account.

Edited by izabella
  • LOL 1
  • Love 20
7 minutes ago, izabella said:

I confess, I don't see Jackie and Becky's side of this at all because it makes no sense whatsoever.  They have no money to get a restaurant going, they won't be able to pay rent for a year (at the very least!), wtf do they know about making delicious stew, don't know if anyone but some people in a parking lot would go to a just-stew restaurant, and Becky would be giving up a job that actually pays money.  What are Becky and Jackie going to live on the first year if they aren't making profit?  They have no plan!  It's just an idea and an unworkable one.  Mark has a far better chance of becoming the next Martha Stewart than Jackie and Becky have of running a successful restaurant.  On top of that, giving up 3 years of contracted rent is foolish.  There is no "both sides" when one "side" does not take reality into account.

For starters, they (well Bev, actually) owns the building and all of the equipment in it so that gives them a huge leg up they wouldn't otherwise have when trying to start up a restaurant. If they actually make a solid business plan, they could get a loan. Didn't Jackie say she had some money? I assume they will live off of Jackie's savings. Opening a restaurant is most definitely a big risk, but I think there is a possibility that they will succeed. I think Becky wants to take that risk rather than just give up and be a waitress the rest of her life. I don't know. I can't fault them for having a dream and wanting to try.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

For starters, they (well Bev, actually) owns the building and all of the equipment in it so that gives them a huge leg up they wouldn't otherwise have when trying to start up a restaurant. If they actually make a solid business plan, they could get a loan. Didn't Jackie say she had some money? I assume they will live off of Jackie's savings. Opening a restaurant is most definitely a big risk, but I think there is a possibility that they will succeed. I think Becky wants to take that risk rather than just give up and be a waitress the rest of her life. I don't know. I can't fault them for having a dream and wanting to try.

Bev owns the building, but she has to pay property tax on it, so it's not free.  She needs the rent, or she won't be able to pay taxes on it and could lose it.  She also needs to maintain it so the roof doesn't cave in or leak and destroy everything inside.  Bev also has to have building insurance in case of fire or other damage, or liability. That requires a revenue stream, which they already are saying won't happen.  If Jackie has savings, it means she'll be sinking it all into running this place and then will have nothing if it doesn't work out.  No one is giving them a loan without a plan or collateral.

Edited by izabella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11

I loved this episode (this season is on fire!) but I have to agree with the comments regarding Jackie and Becky.   To me it seems like they are acting like children.   They are being way too hot-headed about things.   I’m glad Darlene is standing her ground, she is unfortunately in a bad spot.   

• Love 11

Dan gave up a good, steady job working for the city to open his motorcycle shop. 

Dan was doing drywall and odd jobs when he opened the motorcycle shop. But he did quit a good job with the city to drywall a new prison. However, that was in the final season which has largely been ret-conned. When the reboot of this show (as "Roseanne") first started I always got the impression the show was retconning all the way back to the first couple of seasons where everybody was always working minimum wage jobs and scraping to get by. They never even mentioned the Lunch Box until this season.

And at this point I almost wish they hadn't because it's kind of difficult to follow. I don't understand why Bev owns the building for one thing, and I don't know why The Lunch Box failed as a restaurant because it was doing well when the original series ended. They could maybe get into that a little bit because knowing what its downfall was would better inform whether Jackie and Becky have a real chance to make a more successful effort.

Wonky timeline and continuity aside, I think it's smart of the show to focus on Becky and Darlene at this point. I wouldn't be sad if Harris just ran away or something, she doesn't really add anything to the show. (I did get a kick out of her friend saying "respect" when Dan banished her though.)

• Love 11

Even if they get the building rent free, they still need to pay utilities. The electric bill alone can be four figures per month. 

Have you ever seen a restaurant with dim lighting? It's not for the romance. Some hole-in-the-walls try not to use AC or much heat. The bills are crazy.

There's electricity, gas, trash removal, condiments, napkins, silverware, soap, and you pray to god all the food get sold before they spoil. You also need to make sure you do everything to pass inspection.

Jackie was part owner of the Lunchbox but I bet Leon and maybe Rosenne took care of all the behind the scenes stuff. 

• Love 13

What are Becky and Jackie going to live on the first year if they aren't making profit?  They have no plan!  It's just an idea and an unworkable one.  

Not only that but Becky has a new baby. If she has benefits through her waitressing job she'd be a fool to give that up. And as long as she live at home she has all the free child care she needs. How is she going to pay for daycare if she's running a business (very long hours)?

• Love 9
5 hours ago, izabella said:

I confess, I don't see Jackie and Becky's side of this at all because it makes no sense whatsoever. 

Well, it makes no sense financially. But I totally understand why Jackie and Becky see it making sense emotionally. As Jackie said, she was happy when the Lunch Box was open (although looking back, she wasn't all that happy, she broke up with Fred during that time and had to raise Andy as a single parent). And Becky has had her bad times as well, losing Mark, drinking too much, having the baby and the baby's father getting deported. It's the same nostalgia that keeps them looking back to when Roseanne was around and not looking forward (and approaching it rationally). Plus as a plot twist, I think it has a lot of possibilities, just like it did when Roseanne and her crew ran the Lunch Box originally. 

• Love 7

I actually didn't like the episode much.  Too much delusion from Becky & Jackie.  People who have never ACTIVELY run a business always think it's easy, if the idea is decent.  And comfort food, aka stew?  Nope, not even close to a lucrative idea.  The obvious move would be to talk to Katy Sagal, the owner of the Mex place Becky works at.  Guarantee she'd shut them down fast, so they wouldn't show that of course.  But it would be realistic.  

I can't stand Harris & her snottiness.  I would LOVE for her to "go back to Chicago".  ASAP.  

• Love 9

Darlene having power of attorney means she has a fiduciary obligation, i.e. the decisions she makes have to be in Bev's best financial interest, or else Darlene opens herself up to liability. So even if she personally really wanted to, she couldn't give Becky and Jackie the space rent-free when she had another offer of a three-year lease at market rate. I hope the show won't have her relent at Thanksgiving because of "family".

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
9 hours ago, Lovecat said:

That seems like a corollary to what I always say:  It's not Thanksgiving unless someone is screaming, bleeding, or crying.

God, my family's so boring. We all, like, get along and like each other and sh!t.

• LOL 10
  • Love 4

I loved this episode. Even the Harris storyline was tolerable, though that was probably due to Dan's presence in it. I wish she would just go back to Chicago like she keeps whining about. I would not miss her.

Mark is such a bundle of positive energy that I hope the family's negativity and life in general don't change him. I adored his passive-aggressive speech to Darlene at episode's end. It made me realize that Mark notices everything and cares about what's going on with the family, unlike his self-absorbed sister. UGH.

I felt bad for Dan when he was pleading with Becky not to move out. For all his grumbling about having people living in his home, it's clear he does like having a full house; I mean, he's even tolerating Bev. If Darlene and her kids ever move out, Dan's going to be mighty lonely in that house. 

I'm firmly on Darlene's side in regards to the restaurant venture. Like she said, 3 restaurants and a psychic have failed in that location, what makes Jackie & Becky think they can succeed when they only have a kernel of an idea and not much of a plan. If Darlene's already got a potential tenant - who can actually pay rent months in advance - already lined up, why should she gamble on Jackie & Becky. And it's not just the 3 of them who would be taking a financial risk, they'd be risking the amount of money DJ and all the grandkids would receive upon Bev's death. I'm sure Becky & Jackie don't really care about that, but at least Darlene is thinking about everyone in the family. Though I feel like the story is heading in the direction of The Lunch Box 2.0. 

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Love 10

With Jackie being SUCH a screw about money that is not even hers, Bev should just go on a world cruise and never look back.

Normally, I would agree with this 100%, but Jackie has also said that her mom was living with her because she was completely broke.  If I took in an allegedly broke relative, and then found out they still owned significant property that they had hidden from me I'd be pretty angry.  She's not entitled to the restaurant, but I can understand her being angry with her mom about money right now.  And living with Bev doesn't seem to be easy, as Dan would also like to put her out too.

• Love 4

I can see a restaurant serving stew making a go of it in a mall, with a lot of walk-by traffic and a group of people having access to many menu options. But imagine a group of people getting in a car and driving to a diner to get stew? I like stew, but I don't like it THAT much! They need other items, like maybe ... loose meat sandwiches?

Oh, did they come up with a name for the restaurant? I think "The Stew Pot" (from the episode title) would be good.

Edited by MaryMitch
  • Love 6

Mind you I have a strong aversion to stew after growing up with my mom throwing everything in a crock pot and letting it sit for hours and calling it "stew" but I can't get behind this concept for a restaurant.  Also, Illinois summers get really hot and sticky.  No one wants to eat stew in July.  I hope they drop it but I do like the conflict it is bringing to the characters. 

• Love 4

I can see them having a daily stew "special", a different type each day, then filling in with more traditional diner fare.   So many people order things out that they don't make at home.  The comfort food idea is fine, but it's got to show people that it's better to eat at their business than cook.  

Dr. Drumstick sounds awesome.  Maybe a Lanford version of Los Polos Hermanos?   *LOL*

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, MaryMitch said:

Oh, did they come up with a name for the restaurant? I think "The Stew Pot" (from the episode title) would be good.

They should ask DJ; he's the one who came up with The Lunch Box.  Maybe Michael Fishman has already hit his quota of lines this season 😕

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, leighdear said:

I can see them having a daily stew "special", a different type each day, then filling in with more traditional diner fare.   So many people order things out that they don't make at home.  The comfort food idea is fine, but it's got to show people that it's better to eat at their business than cook.  

Dr. Drumstick sounds awesome.  Maybe a Lanford version of Los Polos Hermanos?   *LOL*

I think they have a solid idea with the comfort food but instead of stew they should go with mashed potatoes, gravy mac and cheese, meatloaf and lasagna. At the end of the week they could use most of the left overs to make chili.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10