Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02 The Vuolos Take L.A.

Sew Sumi
  • Start Topic

Jinger doesn't even have the balls to wear pants in her own house with her parents there. Jill wore pants before Jinger even at the big house. 

Edited by Lunera
  • Useful 1
  • Love 21

Felicity is adorable, but the way Jinger pronounces her name is like nails on a chalkboard.

I can't believe I watched a ten minute discussion on the Lord guiding Jinger to pants. 

One used car lot is going to support 7/8 Duggar boys and their inevitable mega families? Good luck with that.

When did Justin start getting cute? 

Given that Fundies discourage marrieds and singles from mixing, the Howlers' sentiments about not having much longer to hang out and do trips together isn't inaccurate. I have a feeling Jason is already courting and that's why they kept harping on him. 

It's interesting Abbie was honest about the frustration she experienced as an "older" single while Jana talked in circles. I wonder what's really going on. I find it hard to believe a halfway decent guy hasn't come around in the last ten years. 

• Love 23

I'm a couple years younger than Jeremy, but I don't think any guy I went to school with would have fessed up to liking a boy band, then or now. Almost every girl in the school at that age was a rabid fan, though. 

Without having watched the show, I did laugh pretty hard at what Austin said about "none of them know."

• Love 17
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Given that Fundies discourage marrieds and singles from mixing, the Howlers' sentiments about not having much longer to hang out and do trips together isn't inaccurate. I have a feeling Jason is already courting and that's why they kept harping on him. 

It's interesting Abbie was honest about the frustration she experienced as an "older" single while Jana talked in circles. I wonder what's really going on. I find it hard to believe a halfway decent guy hasn't come around in the last ten years. 

I haven't heard the married/singles thing before - anyone have links or background on it.  Always amazed when I find out another "rule" they go by.  And they're always man made rules, they justify them by the bible but so much of it is a twisted, narrow reading of a few passages.  I feel like Michelle was also talking in circles trying to explain the background of the skirts and dresses thing, laying more of the decision on herself without really calling attention to Gothard or too much of the fundie expectations.

JD and Abbie continue to be a great couple.  Trying to decide if it's their personalities, especially Abbie bringing out some of the fun in JD that he was holding back before or if it has to do with their ages where they're just more mature which gives them a better perspective on marriage.  Or a combination of both.   

I do wish they'd leave Jana alone about the men and marriage thing.  It feels like a double standard, JD said he was a bachelor till the rapture and everyone went "OK", Jana shows no interest in courting that we know of and people can't stop hounding her about it.  But good for her if there really were potential courtships that she rejected or didn't let them go further then getting to know the person and refusing to make any "official" courting decisions, at least it shows she's practical and won't settle for the first guy to show her interest <cough>Jill<cough>.

Jeremy was making me so nervous climbing down that hill with Felicity strapped to him; I'm sure people go hiking with kids all the time but the clumsy part of me was cringing.

• Love 11

I was in college during the height of the backstreet boys rage.  I can't think of a single guy who admitted to being a fan of them.  I'm sure many, like Jer did like their music but just didn't admit it considering how many girls were rabid fans,  I could see a young Jeremy secretly wishing to be part of the group.

• Love 16
8 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Boybands were the biggest thing in music when Jeremy was coming of age.  Even the most macho guys my age will drop everything and sing every single word to “I Want it That Way.”

Austin’s “Oh know who they are but none of them do” cracked me up.  He knows they were robbed. 

I'm encouraged to hear about Austin being snarky. He "rebelled" once. Maybe he can do it again. And this time he could take Joy with him. 

• Love 7

No boy would have admitted to being a fan of the Backstreet Boys back in the day. Some of their songs were inescapable, but they were basically almost all written in a “oh girl I need you” style to appeal to girls quite specifically. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I do wish they'd leave Jana alone about the men and marriage thing.  It feels like a double standard, JD said he was a bachelor till the rapture and everyone went "OK", Jana shows no interest in courting that we know of and people can't stop hounding her about it. 

It doesn't  just feel like a double standard! Everything they do is based on one of the most ridiculous and onerous double standards on the planet. They're 100 percent about double standards. One of their most cherished goals in life is to impose their total double standard on everybody else in the world. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 17
9 hours ago, Absolom said:

Jinger actually wore leggings with a tunic shirt on their honeymoon.  She had to have obtained the items before the wedding or they went shopping the day after the wedding.

I remember that, but the tunic was long enough to count as a dress, and most of the girls at that point had sported the leggings under "too short" dress look.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I would think preteen boys in the late 90s would be more into Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera than the BSB or NSync. 

ETA: I was preteen during the peak of the New Kids, and most of the New Kids fans at my Jr. High were girls.

I'm sure that JereMe was a fan of Britney and Christina, but he couldn't possibly admit to that now. More double standard - young women performers are too sexual. But apparently it's OK to talk about young males.

I didn't see the show - why/how were the Backstreet Boys brought up?

• Love 5
4 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I haven't heard the married/singles thing before - anyone have links or background on it.  Always amazed when I find out another "rule" they go by.  And they're always man made rules, they justify them by the bible but so much of it is a twisted, narrow reading of a few passages.  I feel like Michelle was also talking in circles trying to explain the background of the skirts and dresses thing, laying more of the decision on herself without really calling attention to Gothard or too much of the fundie expectations.

JD and Abbie continue to be a great couple.  Trying to decide if it's their personalities, especially Abbie bringing out some of the fun in JD that he was holding back before or if it has to do with their ages where they're just more mature which gives them a better perspective on marriage.  Or a combination of both.   

I do wish they'd leave Jana alone about the men and marriage thing.  It feels like a double standard, JD said he was a bachelor till the rapture and everyone went "OK", Jana shows no interest in courting that we know of and people can't stop hounding her about it.  But good for her if there really were potential courtships that she rejected or didn't let them go further then getting to know the person and refusing to make any "official" courting decisions, at least it shows she's practical and won't settle for the first guy to show her interest <cough>Jill<cough>.

Jeremy was making me so nervous climbing down that hill with Felicity strapped to him; I'm sure people go hiking with kids all the time but the clumsy part of me was cringing.

Like Jesus hung out with the very married Peter, for example.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, OpieTaylor said:

I'm sure that JereMe was a fan of Britney and Christina, but he couldn't possibly admit to that now. More double standard - young women performers are too sexual. But apparently it's OK to talk about young males.

I didn't see the show - why/how were the Backstreet Boys brought up?

they were walking down the streets of Hollywood on the walk of fame, they took pics of themselves by the stars. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Does Jessa wear pants? I go to her Instagram and it's mostly baby pictures.

I've noticed that Jessa, Jinger, and Jill all seem to be family planning more than Smuggar/Anna or JB/Michelle. 

I could be wrong but it seems like they're all going for three or four kids maybe, instead of 19. Which is progress.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, lascuba said:

Tuning in now despite my better judgement.

Just me or did JD look slightly pissed at saying "Greek Orthodox?" And who would have thought that finally having sex would make him so obnoxious. I'd feel sorry for Abbie if she hadn't married a Duggar. 

I noticed that too. I'm wondering if they actually went inside the church. They made a big deal out of the number of steps to get to the entrance & the view from the top but not even a mention of going inside. ( I doubt TV cameras are allowed inside.)

12 hours ago, cereality said:

Does JD hear how he sounds?? When asked why they didn’t go on their honeymoon right away he goes – well right after being married, we didn’t want to be cooped up on a plane for 24 hrs . . . . OMG we get it. You needed to have sex RIGHT THEN and then practice it to your heart’s desire right then w/o American Airlines telling you it was time to board your flight . . . . BUT you could also have left 3 days later or after an airport bathroom quickie or whatever. Why not act like a normal person and hide your horniness and say – we planned the wedding so fast that we ran out of time to book/plan a honeymoon and we didn’t just want to go anywhere, better to wait and go someplace special; or the wedding time was so hectic, we didn’t want to go when we’d be exhausted; or we got married in Nov. and didn’t want to be away for Thanksgiving or Christmas so we wanted to wait until the new year; or we really wanted to do Finland in the dead of winter so it was better to wait until Jan-Feb . . . . See there’s a number of answers there that don’t involve – I couldn’t wait to get it up . . . .

JD also went on about how great it was for them  to finally be alone & not have chaperones or people listening in.  The same line we hear whenever any of them marries.

Abbie mentioned how great it was they are together 23-24 hours a day.  Ugh. We know she's not working so does this mean she flies everywhere with JD?   What exactly does JD do? 

4 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I was in college during the height of the backstreet boys rage.  I can't think of a single guy who admitted to being a fan of them.  I'm sure many, like Jer did like their music but just didn't admit it considering how many girls were rabid fans,  I could see a young Jeremy secretly wishing to be part of the group.

I agree.  My son is 30.  I remember him being into the Beatles as well as Maroon 5 during his high school & college years. No Back street boys for him. 

• Love 7

Who buys any car, used or not, without test driving them first? These idiots bought 3 limos & didn't test drive them?  I was hoping they really got screwed & it was something major that happened when the one of them broke down just 3 hours out.   But I'm sure the cause of the breakdown wasn't fixed correctly & it will be passed on to the sucker that buys it. 

I am chuckling about them going thru a drive thru. (I actually saw a limo once in a drive thru when I was little & it caused quite a commotion.)  I'm sure their caravan did draw stares since it was three of them together. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, lascuba said:

I remember that, but the tunic was long enough to count as a dress, and most of the girls at that point had sported the leggings under "too short" dress look.

My memory is that was the shortest top we'd seen on an adult Duggar female at that point.  It was really a shirt and not a dress.  But we all see things differently.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

Yeah, I'll probably go to hell but here goes. Do people really pray to God about wearing pants? I mean, I know children are starving and abused but dear God, I need to know if it's your will to wear pants. WTH?! I feel like he would say, "Excuse me, I'm busy trying to help those in need. Wear the damn pants or don't". So maybe he wouldn't say damn....

I think the Duggars are the type of people that make such a big deal out of any change that this sort of line is exactly the kind of thing that works for JB and Michelle. I mean they have a brand to promote as the most virtuous Christian family there ever was and in certain corners wearing pants is a no-no. So JB and Michelle need to be TOLD that Jinger prayed to Jesus before wearing pants. It makes a personal decision (Jinger honestly probably prefers pants) into a religious decision and thus palatable to JB and Michelle.

• Love 12

See, this is the thing that boggles my little mind...they think checking in with God about this kind of tiny shit makes them humble, when actually it’s arrogant...”Dude, I know you want to hear about my every itty bitty move, because I am the godliest god person ever, so what should I wear today?” (Cue tears.)

FFS.

• LOL 6
  • Love 17
15 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

Thanks for the commentary...can't watch...go Nats!  But it sounds like I'm not missing much.

Totally OT but please send Mad Max back to Detroit after you win the WS.  Sincerely, A Tigers Fan 😉

15 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

There was a little bit of Lauren in the THs. She was the first one to name all the reindeer.

I haven't watched the episode but was this one of those "Quiz the Fundie" segments where the producers ask the brainiac Duggars to talk about something that they couldn't possibly know about (or shouldn't know about) because Fundie?  What is the point of these segments - to embarrass the Duggars?  To allow the Duggars to bestow their high-falutin' superiority over us unwashed sinners who happen to know the names of all of Santa's reindeer?  I mean, if I were very secure in my puritanical beliefs and someone asked me to name the members of NKOTB (Donnie, Danny, Joe, Jordan and Jonathan and they are all fiiiiiiiiinnnnne), I would politely decline to answer on the basis of my principles and not stammer like a moron guessing that one of the reindeer's names is Walter.  If you're a Fundie, be a Fundie and don't try to guess about things that you're not supposed to know.  I don't get it.

15 hours ago, cereality said:

I thought Jana handled the “are you feeling pressured to marry” question well. She didn’t come across desperate but was honest that some people pressure more than others, but she tells them – hey when it’s time/the right one, I’ll let you know. I’m still ragey that she’s even put on the spot like this – that her “singleness” is something to discuss like there’s something wrong with her. But rest assured the JB PR machine is changing the spin from – we have another daughter looking to there is nothing wrong w/ our almost 30 yr old unmarried daughter, she’s had TONS of guys after her – just not the right one yet. 

And yet if I'm not mistaken, all the other Duggar daughters got hitched to the first Fundie that came a' sniffing down the road.  So what is it about Jana?  Surely if there were several guys after Jana, at least one of them would've passed JB's 475-question exam/essay/thesis with at least a 50%, making him almost prime son-in-law material.

3 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

they were walking down the streets of Hollywood on the walk of fame, they took pics of themselves by the stars. 

Again, why?  To what end?  Why take selfies next to the star of someone they've (supposedly) never heard of?  Gosh, this bugs me!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

See, this is the thing that boggles my little mind...they think checking in with God about this kind of tiny shit makes them humble, when actually it’s arrogant...”Dude, I know you want to hear about my every itty bitty move, because I am the godliest god person ever, so what should I wear today?” (Cue tears.)

FFS.

I am laughing that they pray about stupid things like pants, but Joe and Kendra just flip a coin to decide a "romantic date".

Edited by crazy8s
spelling
  • LOL 9
  • Love 3

If Jana wants someone who's "established" that means that she's seen her parents initial financial struggles (growing up wearing used shoes and clothes, surviving off of tater tots) and her siblings--Jessa still in the mold house, Jill living in central America scared to death, Joy living in a trailer and construction sites, the Josh and Anna scandal.  Jana's had a front row seat to all the drama.  I don't blame her for wanting to avoid the "struggle."  Love unfortunately, doesn't work that way, so while she may be holding out for love AND security, it may not work out how she thinks it will.  The kids sure are given differing circumstances.  Is Jinger the only one to have broken away with some tv money?  Maybe Jill too?  Everyone else still seems dependent on the compound.  The way they dole out houses is odd too.  Joe seems to have ended up with the best house, while Jessa's is still the worst.

• Love 13
On 10/22/2019 at 9:33 PM, madpsych78 said:

Am I the only one who thinks it is kind of strange that Jeremy would be such a boy-band superfan? Does he want to be the Backstreet Boys or does he want to be with them?

Jeremy has a sister who is about my age.  I was a teen during the height of Backstreet Boys & 'NSync boy band mania.  I'm sure Jeremy heard a ton of their songs growing up because of his sister.  He probably knows all the words to Backstreet Boys' Millenium album & 'NSync's No Strings Attached from his sister playing them on repeat and songs from those two albums dominating radio.  I'm pretty sure my parents knew most of the lyrics to "I Want It That Way" just from hearing it blasting from my room and on the radio so much.  He may not have been into them, but any guy that age (who wasn't completely cut off from teen popular culture like the Duggarlings/other cultists) would likely know their songs even if they weren't into them (and likely feel a sense of nostalgia when they're discussed).  

On 10/22/2019 at 9:53 PM, Spencer Hastings said:

Boybands were the biggest thing in music when Jeremy was coming of age.  Even the most macho guys my age will drop everything and sing every single word to “I Want it That Way.” 

Exactly.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

Totally OT but please send Mad Max back to Detroit after you win the WS.  Sincerely, A Tigers Fan 😉

I haven't watched the episode but was this one of those "Quiz the Fundie" segments where the producers ask the brainiac Duggars to talk about something that they couldn't possibly know about (or shouldn't know about) because Fundie?  What is the point of these segments - to embarrass the Duggars?  To allow the Duggars to bestow their high-falutin' superiority over us unwashed sinners who happen to know the names of all of Santa's reindeer?  I mean, if I were very secure in my puritanical beliefs and someone asked me to name the members of NKOTB (Donnie, Danny, Joe, Jordan and Jonathan and they are all fiiiiiiiiinnnnne), I would politely decline to answer on the basis of my principles and not stammer like a moron guessing that one of the reindeer's names is Walter.  If you're a Fundie, be a Fundie and don't try to guess about things that you're not supposed to know.  I don't get it.

And yet if I'm not mistaken, all the other Duggar daughters got hitched to the first Fundie that came a' sniffing down the road.  So what is it about Jana?  Surely if there were several guys after Jana, at least one of them would've passed JB's 475-question exam/essay/thesis with at least a 50%, making him almost prime son-in-law material.

Again, why?  To what end?  Why take selfies next to the star of someone they've (supposedly) never heard of?  Gosh, this bugs me!

Honestly, I  believe the point of those segments is to try to catch the Duggars in a lie.  The producers know the Duggars are full of shit and want to test them on it  If they embarrass themselves in the process, even better.  The fact that they are also cheap and easy to produce is icing on the cake.  

On a side note, I saw them back in July and NKOTB is just as fine as they were back in 1990.  Joey can still get it.  Donny lost a bit of his luster after shacking up with Jenny McCarthy though.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

I remember when Jana said her ideal guy was a country type who worked with his hands. Now it changed to an established man? He went from an Austin type to a Jeremy type. 

Edited by Lunera
  • Useful 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, Lunera said:

I remember when Jana said her ideal guy was a country type who worked with his hands. Now it changed to an established man? He went from a Austin type to a Jeremy type. 

Did she maybe mean that she potentially wanted the same kind of guy --  somebody who works with his hands -- but who already has some experience doing it, has his own little carpentry/electricians'/mechanics'/landscaping/whatever shop already set up  and has some steady customers (so he doesn't rely on Jim Bob to refer business to him)? 

(and, yep, I could be 10,000-percent off, since I didn't watch it)

• Love 7
3 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

If Jana wants someone who's "established" that means that she's seen her parents initial financial struggles (growing up wearing used shoes and clothes, surviving off of tater tots) and her siblings--Jessa still in the mold house, Jill living in central America scared to death, Joy living in a trailer and construction sites, the Josh and Anna scandal.  Jana's had a front row seat to all the drama.  I don't blame her for wanting to avoid the "struggle."  Love unfortunately, doesn't work that way, so while she may be holding out for love AND security, it may not work out how she thinks it will.  The kids sure are given differing circumstances.  Is Jinger the only one to have broken away with some tv money?  Maybe Jill too?  Everyone else still seems dependent on the compound.  The way they dole out houses is odd too.  Joe seems to have ended up with the best house, while Jessa's is still the worst.

She needs a 30 year old nice fundie widower with two small children and a successful landscaping business. She could side right in. Good luck finding perfection, Jana! Especially in the kind of people that would be attracted to your circus.

• Love 14
9 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

She needs a 30 year old nice fundie widower with two small children and a successful landscaping business. She could side right in. Good luck finding perfection, Jana! Especially in the kind of people that would be attracted to your circus.

I've always said she'd be perfect for Kelton Balka's dad. Good-looking older widower, money in the bank, nice house, etc. He comes with five kids, but one is already married and two are teenagers, so we're not talking a horde of toddlers that are exhausting work. 

I wish the best for Jana, but she's unlikely to find what she wants if she limits herself to single Fundie men. These people travel in the same circles, attend the same conferences and shlep to the same weddings. Who's left that she hasn't already met? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 16
6 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Who buys any car, used or not, without test driving them first? These idiots bought 3 limos & didn't test drive them?  I was hoping they really got screwed & it was something major that happened when the one of them broke down just 3 hours out.   But I'm sure the cause of the breakdown wasn't fixed correctly & it will be passed on to the sucker that buys it.

The Duggs often - perhaps mostly - buy vehicles at auction. Some auctions may allow test drives prior to bidding but I don't think that they all do. I assume that JB and his boyz have the dealer licenses so they can bid at dealer auctions where the decent cars are, vs. the public auctions where the really sad vehicles go. But they buy those cars at auction totally "as is," and balance the price vs. the risk when bidding. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I said that in one sentence. 😜

So did I. Except my sentence had 80 words in it! 😁

34 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Yes. Most half-way sane people will run at high speed away from her circus. 

• Love 4

Hmm. I think it's interesting that Jeremy is a big Backstreet Boys fan because it kind of shows how even in the extremely narrow fundie circles that the Duggars traveled in JB and Michelle were not "normal." I don't think their kids were allowed to listen to secular music. The stringent rules on dress, entertainment, displays of affection, are not normal. There are fundie families where girls routinely wear pants, are allowed to swim with bathing suits, are allowed to watch movies, read books, listen to Backstreet Boys.

We're seeing that more and more as the J-girls get married. Jessa, Jinger, and Jill all seem to live less stringent lives than JB and Michelle. Only poor Anna and Smuggar are as rigid as ever, but that's probably because Anna thinks that her only way of maintaining elite status in those circles is to triple down on this restrictive lifestyle. Because ... Smuggar.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Growsonwalls said:

Hmm. I think it's interesting that Jeremy is a big Backstreet Boys fan because it kind of shows how even in the extremely narrow fundie circles that the Duggars traveled in JB and Michelle were not "normal." I don't think their kids were allowed to listen to secular music. The stringent rules on dress, entertainment, displays of affection, are not normal. There are fundie families where girls routinely wear pants, are allowed to swim with bathing suits, are allowed to watch movies, read books, listen to Backstreet Boys.

We're seeing that more and more as the J-girls get married. Jessa, Jinger, and Jill all seem to live less stringent lives than JB and Michelle. Only poor Anna and Smuggar are as rigid as ever, but that's probably because Anna thinks that her only way of maintaining elite status in those circles is to triple down on this restrictive lifestyle. Because ... Smuggar.

Unfortunately,  Michelle grew up in a secular home.  She got to grow up watching TV and listening to secular music.  So did JB.  

• Love 8

Michelle said that wearing a bikini wearing mowing the lawn could cause someone else to stumble...

Wow - she's really was full of herself , huh? Her mere appearance as an 15 yr old jailbait young lady, will cause men to stumble...

I understand be self confident and proud of your figure, but damn... to actually say it out loud...

Edited by sATL
  • Love 20
22 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

Same, I hate it when these people are relatable, LOL

Austin made me laugh for real ( ugh again, I hate that) " I know who they are, they don't!" 

Jana got snarky with her ' whose yours? (  with a look that says "ya dumb fuck you know I don't/won't admit I know who they are") You can tell she is over those types of questions. 

Agree. And I realize I spelled cries wrong, OMG! lol

Jeremy says something that goes obviously right over Jinger's head ( Dasher would be the fastest reindeer) , I wonder how many times a day that happens. 

Don't care about any of these lost boys courting. Unless they get psycho ( in an entertaining way) wives 

I would have called Austin out on his bluff. Like go on with something like yeah, that Nick Jonas when he was in Backstreet really did xxx, etc.

• Love 1

Fool group of boys driving a used cars (limos at that ) 20 hours that you didn't at least take the time to do a mechanic checkout first.

Joy sounded like she felt left out... awww.. 

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

JInger wears pants because she decided that Jesus has led her to wear pants. Literally that is the explanation. Michelle explains that mowing the lawn in the bikini has tempted too many to their demise so she was led by Jesus to wear skirts. We get some flashbacks of horrible duggar fashion. They get very Jesus-y. Michelle says its ok that they have different convictions and Jinger cries. 

Jeremy is giving me anxiety wearing Felicity down those rocks to the Hollywood sign lol

I'm just glad   Jeremy Jesus is finally talking a little more to directly to Jinger and not through Michelle.  Wow  Jinger - did it hurt to make a decision for yourself? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

Evidently it did hurt Jing to make that decision- she cried. I laughed.

She embarrassed herself and didn't even realize it and her mother is a freak of nature with a very high, and unrealistic opinion of herself. Bikini or no, no man was leaving his wife due to her.

• LOL 2
  • Love 18