Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: Biscuit Week

• Start Topic

It's crunch time with Biscuit Week, starting off with a luxurious chocolate coated signature bake, then a snack with family signifiance for Paul and an eye-catching showstopper

Channel 4 UK Air Date: September 3, 2019.

Netflix US Air Date: September 6, 2019.

Oh, Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. The lad struggled. 

Amelia annoyed me in the showstopper. They made her look pissed at the judges. Her beach showstopper was crap. Jamie's was clumsy, but, he at least shaped his pieces and made the guitar hollow; she just stacked identical biscuits together, and didn't bother to ice them completely, leaving the components exposed.  The dolphin was a gray blob, without eyes or a blowhole. It looked half-assed. It looked like a ten year-old's school diorama. Do better, and they won't make comments like that. 

I really wanted to try Alice's biscuit bars. They looked amazing and I know I would have loved the flavor combination.

• Love 13

Nice to see some of the bakers produce more finished, carefully crafted bakes this week. Michelle's Bakewell bars were gorgeous, as was Rosie the vet's chicken and Helena's spider (yay for earl grey shortbread!). Michael only had one finger bandaged up and managed to put together successful flavors.

I can see David going pretty far with those wedding flower arrangements and complement of flavors across the different cookies.

Since Henry has such a baby face, I could have done without all the organ jokes. The superfan continues to be ambitious, like with his six layer cookies, but I don't have confidence yet in his ability to make his projects work in the tent environment.

I still don't feel like we've gotten to know Priya but the dragon made of cat tongues was gorgeous and it sounded like her experimental use of ruby chocolate in the signature was successful.

I haven't warmed up to Alice yet but it does sound like she's had some interesting life experiences. She studied sculpture at art school, teaches geography and is a Royal Navy combined cadet? Is that like a civil, auxiliary arm of the Royal military services?

• Love 12

"Its nice to have roasted nuts"

Lovely epsiode. Some really nice designs in the showstopper - the sheep, chicken, dragon, spider and flowers ... Usually I am a bit weary when the try to increase the difficulty by asking them to do x layers, sculptures oder scenes out of whatever is the theme product of the week, but this one was good.

I enjoyed the chocolate bars - although I doubt that any of them has a signature chocolate bar that they regularly make at home, which used to be the premise of the signature challenge. But there were several that I liked the look and sound of. They all were pretty large for a chocolate bar though, don;t you think?

Never liked fig rolls.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, halopub said:

She studied sculpture at art school, teaches geography and is a Royal Navy combined cadet? Is that like a civil, auxiliary arm of the Royal military services?

The Combined Cadets are a youth organisation, like the Scouts but with a focus towards drill and military activities. It has ties to different divisions like the Navy or the Air Force.

• Useful 10
13 hours ago, halopub said:

I haven't warmed up to Alice yet but it does sound like she's had some interesting life experiences. She studied sculpture at art school, teaches geography and is a Royal Navy combined cadet? Is that like a civil, auxiliary arm of the Royal military services?

And she looks fantastic in that uniform. The cadets are more like the Boy Scout movement. They're a youth charity, focused on enriching the lives of the teens who join, and giving them skills they can use. Alice must be an instructor, rather than an actual cadet, I think. So not only is she a teacher, with lessons to plan and homework to mark, not only is she a competitive baker with planning to do, she's also devoting at least one evening a week to running a youth group. No wonder she often has a manic glint in her eyes.

She seems like a contender, but I stand by my view last week that, when the pressure gets to her, she could have a rather epic meltdown.

Glad Jamie went. He really should have gone in week one, and just never looked like he had the knowhow to survive in the tent. Seems like a nice young lad, but just not ready for this kind of challenge.

I still like Priya, and quite like Steph (her biscuit cat was pretty cool), as well as Amelia. Henry seems like a nice young chap, but there's such a whiff of 'young Tory' coming off him that I'm wary.

I liked the look of most of the chocolate biscuits they made, and would give any of them a go, except the matcha fingers. And it seems like the design abilities of contestants just keeps getting better. All those animals were seriously impressive, particularly the sheep, the chicken and the cat (Amelia's dolphin looked more like a manatee, though). Still, I don't think I'd want to eat a spider biscuit (as a kid, I wouldn't even eat spider shaped jellies).

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 10

We are seeing some front runners. David and Michelle have done well both the last two weeks. While Michelle had to rush her Showstopper, her flavours are consistently praised. David is good both flavour wise and technically. I am so glad Alice got to shine this week. She really did do well on three challenges. Well deserved.

13 hours ago, halopub said:

I still don't feel like we've gotten to know Priya but the dragon made of cat tongues was gorgeous and it sounded like her experimental use of ruby chocolate in the signature was successful.

Her dragon did look amazing but the biscuits didn't sound like they worked. They chided on flavours which I found disappointing. I think the initial couple weeks have some of the bakers adjusting their flavours based on the judges' feedback. It sounds like Priya hasn't found the right balance yet.

8 hours ago, Aulty said:

Lovely epsiode. Some really nice designs in the showstopper - the sheep, chicken, dragon, spider and flowers ... Usually I am a bit weary when the try to increase the difficulty by asking them to do x layers, sculptures oder scenes out of whatever is the theme product of the week, but this one was good.

Paul mentioned in an interview that they actually went back to basics with some of the challenges this year and they have made them less complicated. I have noticed it the last couple of episodes. Some contestants are running out of time, but it feels like we got a lot of amazing sculptures for the second episode. Part it could be the better quality of contestants, but I am liking these challenges again.

• Love 10

You know, if I were considered a famous baker, I would pretend that I'm up-to-date on the latest developments in my field and that I've heard of ruby chocolate, so props to Paul and Prue for being honest about their ignorance, I guess, and then a question mark?

Spiderwoman drawing a chalk outline on her serving tray around her dead, missing 12th fig roll was kind of cute and funny.

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Love 19

Because of the editing, Michael had disappearing, reappearing plasters. At one point he had three fingers done up. I wish his parents had taught him how to use a knife.

The right person went home. While I think he did better than Amelia in the showstopper who cut corners by stacking instead of sculpting and had a mess of a dolphin, it was clear he was struggling the most in the tent. Amelia was lucky this week. As was Helena since until they tasted her spider, I was sure she was out. Paul was right about how original it was. It was clever of her to use spun sugar for the webbing to obscure how messy her caramel connecting the spider legs was. It all looked like strands of hot glue on a kid’s project to me.

I was surprised how nearly all the bakers chose animals for the biscuit sculpture when they had the choice of doing literally anything.

• Love 3
On 9/4/2019 at 11:23 AM, Corgi-ears said:

You know, if I were considered a famous baker, I would pretend that I'm up-to-date on the latest developments in my field and that I've heard of ruby chocolate, so props to Paul and Prue for being honest about their ignorance, I guess, and then a question mark?

I sometimes think it's less about THEIR ignorance and more about what they think the audience doesn't know. I've noticed it a number of times, where they feign ignorance about a particular ingredient so the contestant can explain. For example, there have been a number of time where they were all ???? about yuzu, bakers have used it since the second season. They've done it with other ingredients as well—pandan is another one that comes to mind. Ruby chocolate isn't exactly something that's well known so Paul and Prue's supposed cluelessness gave (insert baker's name here because I forgot) a chance to explain for the benefit of the viewers.

• Love 12
20 hours ago, oldCJ said:

Amelia was lucky this week. As was Helena since until they tasted her spider, I was sure she was out. Paul was right about how original it was. It was clever of her to use spun sugar for the webbing to obscure how messy her caramel connecting the spider legs was. It all looked like strands of hot glue on a kid’s project to me.

I personally did not get all the love for Helena's spider. I didn't think it was all that original, and I'm already tired of her "witchy/goth/spooky" schtick. She made two different types of biscuit for that sculpture, and spiced nuts for the other little eggs spilling out, whereas most others used several types of biscuits to create different elements, or used other baking skills to create confectionary elements. OK, she had spun sugar and made caramel to stick it together.

Her signature was TERRIBLE compared to everyone else's - she's the only one who didn't have any layers at all, just her simple green finger made in a mold with an almond and a squiggle of "blood." Super lame even compared to Jamie who at least had several elements in his bars.

• Love 9

I have never understood the trend of putting matcha in stuff. To me it tastes like sawdust mixed with grass clippings. I can see why Paul said they tasted "stale." I think the color gets people thinking "this is cool."

• LOL 3
  • Love 16

I did love Henry's quick response when Paul asked about the organ keyboard : "It's closed".  

Two episodes in and no handshakes.  I think he was a bit too free with them last year.  Maybe the producers talked to him about it?

I have no real favourites yet.  It takes a few episodes for the personalities to emerge, and there are too many bakers in the beginning.  I do like Henry, Amelia, the vet (can't remember her name?).  Priya comforting Michael was nice.  I do love how there is no backstabbing on this show.

Helena's spooky themed bakes will get old fast.  I did laugh at the outline of the missing fig roll though.

• Love 14
18 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I did laugh at the outline of the missing fig roll though.

how on earth did she manage to miss one? Didn't the instructions have you make two rolls and cut them into 6 pieces each? Hard to mess that up!

I did love fig newtons growing up. I'm kind of intrigued by making "real" ones.

• Love 6

All that loose hair wafting around Amelia's face drives me crazy!  I always hate to see that, and her semi-bun on top doesn't keep it out of the way.   I'm ready for her to go now. 

Spooky chick's voice also is annoying, though her work's not bad.  Agree, she needs to ditch the spooky crap & get with some more varied projects.  And I've made those witches finger cookies for Halloween with sugar cookie dough & sliced almonds for years.  Not green though, But with red icing dabbed on the raggedy, cut end to simulate the blood. 

Ingredient explanation is fine as a voice over while we watch the action.  Noel does it all the time, and Mel & Sue did it for years.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, dleighg said:

I have never understood the trend of putting matcha in stuff. To me it tastes like sawdust mixed with grass clippings. I can see why Paul said they tasted "stale." I think the color gets people thinking "this is cool."

I personally like matcha, but I understand, as mentioned in the episode, that it's like marmite. You either like it or you don't. I do find that a lot of matcha used in coffee shops or commercial baked goods is not high grade and you end up with a subpar product. When you use higher grade matcha, the taste is more subtle and less chalky. I make my own matcha lattes at home with higher grade matcha powder and it tastes a lot better than the ones I get in coffee shops.

6 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Two episodes in and no handshakes.  I think he was a bit too free with them last year.  Maybe the producers talked to him about it?

Paul mentioned in an interview last year that he started noticing how free he was as well so he stopped "handing" them out towards the end of S09. I think he's back to being more judicious.  

• Love 8

I think Amelia was lucky that Jamie had flamed out so spectacularly. She did the same thing that Enwezor did on the last 3D biscuit challenge, just stacking biscuits instead of crafting with them. I really have to wonder how much episode rewatching the competitors do before the taping begins. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Athena said:

I personally like matcha, but I understand as mentioned in the episode that it's like marmite. You either like it or you don't. I do find that a lot of matcha used in coffee shops or commercial baked goods is not high grade and you end up with a subpar product. When you use higher grade matcha, the taste is more subtle and less chalky. I make my own matcha lattes at home with higher grade matcha powder and it tastes a lot better than the ones I get in coffee shops.

Thumbs up to quality matcha. Proportions and one’s sweet tooth also affect whether one might like matcha as an ingredient @dleighg. As an old Japanophile, matcha is not a trend to me but if it’s not consumed as tea I do tend to enjoy it in sweeter confections. My matcha favs would probably be shortbread cookies, castella cakes, ice cream and shaved ice - all pretty sweet indulgences where the “grassiness” is subtler and balanced out by butter, eggs, azuki beans, etc.

• Love 2
On 9/4/2019 at 7:49 AM, Athena said:

Paul mentioned in an interview that they actually went back to basics with some of the challenges this year and they have made them less complicated. I have noticed it the last couple of episodes. Some contestants are running out of time, but it feels like we got a lot of amazing sculptures for the second episode. Part it could be the better quality of contestants, but I am liking these challenges again.

I 100% agree.  I've definitely been liking the simpler challenges this year, particularly the technicals.  I've never liked when the technicals are so overcomplicated with tons of steps and sadistically short time so I'm enjoying seeing stuff that looks like it's simple but can still end in disaster with one false move.

Alas Jamie unsurprisingly was not long for this world but at least his showstopper tasted good.  Isn't the biscuit sculpture showstopper a repeat of Season 3?  Not complaining about repeats since by season 10 there are only so many ideas for biscuits and again I like that it wasn't some ridiculous criteria.

Definitely liking Alice, David, Michael and Michelle.  Loved Helena's spider. The rest I'm not sure on but damn all those chocolate biscuit bars looked scrummy.

Also noticed we're two eps in without a handshake.  Aside from Michelle's biscuit bars I don't think we've had handshake worthy work yet.  It will all the more special when we do get one.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, kittykat said:
On 9/4/2019 at 7:49 AM, Athena said:

I 100% agree.  I've definitely been liking the simpler challenges this year, particularly the technicals.  I've never liked when the technicals are so overcomplicated with tons of steps and sadistically short time so I'm enjoying seeing stuff that looks like it's simple but can still end in disaster with one false move.

Amen to all this. Last series became almost unpleasant with the time constraints and convoluted challenges. This allows for great creativity rather than hoop-jumping to meet sometimes outlandish criteria.

Those biscuit bars were amazing and an example of simplicity allowing creativity. Even if some weren't entirely successful, there was such variety and so many interesting combinations.

I loved the technical challenge, actually. A simple looking thing yet a considerable range of outcomes. Test basic skills in new ways -- that's the point.

The showstoppers also showed lots of ingenuity. The chicken and sheep were my favorites appearance-wise. 

I do wonder at Paul and Prue's constitutions, eating numerous fig rolls in a row and all those biscuit bars without getting sick. Perhaps with editing there is a bit of a break in between. I'd think the ability to distinguish flavors would diminish, tasting so much in a short time. They must do something to clear their palates in between.

It seemed obvious that Alice would get star baker and Jamie would go home. I felt bad for Jamie and was glad that Paul made the statement again about not getting into the tent without being good. Time constraints and unfamiliar conditions could mess up anyone. (I have trouble in someone else's kitchen just with basic cooking.) He tried to laugh things off but you could see that he was pretty gutted.

So glad Netflix is showing these so close to the original broadcasts.

• Love 14

I really enjoyed this one.  I'm glad to hear that they have gone back to more traditional challenges.  I like everyone having at least a chance to finish and compete on the merits of the bakes.

The chocolate bar cookies were lovely.  I'm used to the American pronunciation of "new-get" and was interested to hear the more French "new-gah" for the fillings.

They majority of the showstoppers were really nice.  I liked the sheep and the chicken, but also the highland cow.  I couldn't quite get the idea in the sketch, but when they showed the sculpture I got it and thought it was a clever, kind of impressionistic take.  I was a little disappointed that the alien flower didn't have much color, but the shapes were pretty.

On 9/4/2019 at 10:44 AM, Danny Franks said:

Still, I don't think I'd want to eat a spider biscuit (as a kid, I wouldn't even eat spider shaped jellies).

^This.

Also, when the baker who's nougat oozed out the slides of his sandwich biscuit said it had "sloughed" out, and then proceeded to explain "slough like a wound," I was with Prue when she put out a hand and said, "Thank you" to stop him from explaining further.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I have no real favourites yet.  It takes a few episodes for the personalities to emerge, and there are too many bakers in the beginning. 

I'm having trouble connecting with this group. I don't know if I rewatched previous seasons too many times, so the other seasons are filled with people I know & these are all strangers, or if something is missing from this season.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, justmehere said:

This allows for great creativity rather than hoop-jumping to meet sometimes outlandish criteria.

This is what has always set this show apart for me, that the challenges weren't so over the top. That they were about giving the bakers a chance to make something amazing. I don't need to see some kind of circus act here, "baker's make a ten layer cake while juggling three apples behind your back" no thanks. Give them enough time to correct a single mistake should then need it, and if they don't make a mistake they have enough time to see their project to completion. 

I LOVE seeing completed, beautiful work. Rosie's chicken was stunning. I loved Alice's fat sheep. I thought Helena's spider was very sculptural like Paul said. I don't need to see 12-13 of Jaime's guitar. I want to see things that take my breath away, like Prison Paul's lion (that amazing piece is still in my mind to this day). 

So far my favorites are Alice, Rosie, Helena, and Henry. And happily, I don't dislike any of them. The only one I didn't much care for was Jaime, he seems like a nice guy but he was so out of his league that it made me uncomfortable. This ep, by the showstopper I was just begging Prue and Paul to stop critiquing because it's obvious he's going and it felt like kicking a puppy who already knows he's in trouble. 

This season already feels more like the show I fell in love with. Watching them all gather round to help their competitors, giving each other those little "it wasn't that bad, they liked the flavor," pep talks after critiques, that is what I fell in love with and this group has that in spades...so far. 

That is interesting to me because usually with competitive shows the longer the show is on the air the more the contestants go on for the career opportunities so the more competitive and cut throat they get but these folks seem less inclined towards their book/show deal than the last few batches have and seem more into the original "small community fair" vibe the show started with. 

• Love 12

If you missed it in the Media thread, there is a podcast called The Bake Down with Howard (S4) and Jane (S7) and a host reviewing each episode this year as well as providing tons of backstory and other tidbits. I am midway through ep 1, and Jane just reaffirmed the general opinion here that the more basic challenges were the right idea. She just said that watching the fruitcake signature bake in ep 1 actually inspired her to want to experiment in the kitchen, which is what she believes the show should do for the average viewer. She felt that the last few seasons were just so elaborate and stressful that it was like watching a car crash—entertaining in its own way, but not inspirational.

• Love 16
On 9/6/2019 at 12:42 PM, Sharpie66 said:

I think Amelia was lucky that Jamie had flamed out so spectacularly. She did the same thing that Enwezor did on the last 3D biscuit challenge, just stacking biscuits instead of crafting with them. I really have to wonder how much episode rewatching the competitors do before the taping begins. 

As soon as I saw those stacked biscuits I thought she was in trouble, remembering Enwezor’s.  I’m glad she didn’t go home though. 

• Love 6

The challenges I enjoy least are those where they have to build some type of structure or animal, etc. I most enjoy it when they bake cakes, biscuits, tarts etc—things you would see in a U.K. bakery or attempt at home. I don’t need to see a castle made out of biscuits or a dragon or whatever. 

• Love 12
18 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The challenges I enjoy least are those where they have to build some type of structure or animal, etc. I most enjoy it when they bake cakes, biscuits, tarts etc—things you would see in a U.K. bakery or attempt at home. I don’t need to see a castle made out of biscuits or a dragon or whatever. 

I agree, but I think the show has sort of backed itself into a corner with the “showstopper” concept. How do you do a showstopper biscuit or bread by itself?

Generally, I’m in favor of simplifying the challenges, but I thought the fig roll technical went too far in the other direction.

• Love 1

I'm having trouble connecting with this group. I don't know if I rewatched previous seasons too many times, so the other seasons are filled with people I know & these are all strangers, or if something is missing from this season.

It's been interesting to me to watch this once a week instead of a binge as I've done other seasons on Netflix. For me, at least, it makes it more difficult to remember the bakers and their little personality quirks.

I continue to be shocked at how much I enjoy Noel and Sandy, and that Pru can come as close as she does to filling Mary's shoes. It's a really effective combination with Paul, and I tip my hat to the production for making it work when so many (myself included) were skeptical that it would.

Clear as day star baker and baker to go this week. 

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Rickster said:

Generally, I’m in favor of simplifying the challenges, but I thought the fig roll technical went too far in the other direction.

It seemed like several of the bakers struggled with them, though. Either the pastry was bad, or the flavors in the fig filling were bad, according to Paul and Prue. Only a few of the bakers did a good job, which would suggest that it was overall a good technical "challenge."

• Love 11
On 9/5/2019 at 8:16 PM, jpgr said:

I personally did not get all the love for Helena's spider. I didn't think it was all that original, and I'm already tired of her "witchy/goth/spooky" schtick. She made two different types of biscuit for that sculpture, and spiced nuts for the other little eggs spilling out, whereas most others used several types of biscuits to create different elements, or used other baking skills to create confectionary elements. OK, she had spun sugar and made caramel to stick it together.

Her signature was TERRIBLE compared to everyone else's - she's the only one who didn't have any layers at all, just her simple green finger made in a mold with an almond and a squiggle of "blood." Super lame even compared to Jamie who at least had several elements in his bars.

I wanted Paul and Prue to cut open the spider’s molded body because I just know it was raw. 

• Love 1

Glad Jamie went as he was clearly not up to scratch... and it was very hard for me to understand what the heck was saying. 

Oh dear, Noel looks puffy, is he alright? Have to say, I don't miss Mary, Mel and Sue at all. Were they going to start a new cooking show or are they on to other things? 

13 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Have to say, I don't miss Mary, Mel and Sue at all. Were they going to start a new cooking show or are they on to other things? 

Mary Berry has had a few shows on the BBC, even one that was about properties, not cooking. 'Britain's Best Home Cook' was somewhat like Bake Off but centered around cooking. It was a nice watch, but it would have been ok without her too. But the woman is 84, so I don't know if she has a lot of new stuff scheduled.

Mel and Sue have done other things, like presenting game shows (Mel did the UK version of The Sing Off) and there was a short lived cooking quiz show on Channel 4 iirc. Sue has a panel show called 'Insert Name Here' which is doing well on the BBC.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 3
On 9/3/2019 at 9:02 PM, halopub said:

I can see David going pretty far with those wedding flower arrangements and complement of flavors across the different cookies.

I wish they had been more colorful. They seemed a bit too plain for me, I think. David also rubs me the wrong way; I think he has resting smug face. Even when he's clearly legitimately happy about something, it looks like he's smirking.

• LOL 2
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, springbarb said:

I wish they had been more colorful. They seemed a bit too plain for me, I think. David also rubs me the wrong way; I think he has resting smug face. Even when he's clearly legitimately happy about something, it looks like he's smirking.

That's it! Couldn't put my finger on what bothers me about him. Resting smug face. Ah well. We can't choose our faces :)

• Love 4
5 hours ago, springbarb said:

I wish they had been more colorful.

I was kind of surprised they didn't mention that. I was thinking they looked pretty Bland.

On 9/7/2019 at 4:47 PM, dleighg said:

I adore Noel. He makes me smile.

I laughed at his conversation about the tortoise. "I didn't even bury it. I just threw it in the skip."

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
On 9/5/2019 at 3:08 PM, Margo Leadbetter said:

I sometimes think it's less about THEIR ignorance and more about what they think the audience doesn't know. I've noticed it a number of times, where they feign ignorance about a particular ingredient so the contestant can explain. For example, there have been a number of time where they were all ???? about yuzu, bakers have used it since the second season. They've done it with other ingredients as well—pandan is another one that comes to mind. Ruby chocolate isn't exactly something that's well known so Paul and Prue's supposed cluelessness gave (insert baker's name here because I forgot) a chance to explain for the benefit of the viewers.

I hope that is the case! Because honestly nothing else explains some of their "Huh I've never seen that before" reactions. For me, this time around it was Prue saying she'd never heard of tea shortbread?! That's not uncommon. Also, wasn't there a whole prior biscuit-sculpture challenge with a tea chest with different tea-flavored biscuits? 

On 9/3/2019 at 6:02 PM, halopub said:

I absolutely loved David's flowers. I get the criticism of not enough color, but there was something so delicate and restrained...I think I liked it BECAUSE it was monochromatic. (Lol that's my art school training showing.) Often the biscuit towers are heavy and blocky and glued from here to eternity, for good reason. Instead, he found a way to make something so delicate and pretty! Those leaves were perfect. I'm not sure what I think about him as a person, but I think that's because he came out of the gate with "It has no fat! I love healthy baking!" ugh. Don't dislike him, but also haven't connected.

The lamb and chicken were also amazing and adorable. I was deeply impressed by how those came out. I was disappointed in the dragons.

Edited by snarktini
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12
15 hours ago, snarktini said:

The lamb and chicken were also amazing and adorable. I was deeply impressed by how those came out. I was disappointed in the dragons.

I like to pick the brains of the visually literate and since you're formally trained in art...how would you compare last week's dragons with Luis' back in season 5?  I remember loving it at the time but now I find the piping a bit busy.

21 hours ago, snarktini said:

I was disappointed in the dragons.

One, the bluer one that was judged first, I had no idea what I was looking at. I couldn't find the dragon. The second one, the redder one, I think that was the Welsh one, was just a hot mess, but at least it looked dragon-like. I'm thinking Michelle, is that the one that looks like Noel? must have amazing flavors because I have not visibly been impressed by her stuff, but she was star baker last week.

That is the tough part of the show. We can really only judge based on looks and what the judges say about flavor. I wish there was a way we could taste what they make. We need Willy Wanka to get on this! 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

This reminded me, that bull looked like a handbag to me. It was nice, but if I wasn't told it was a bull I would never guess that. 

Handbag- yes! That's exactly what it looked like!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, halopub said:

I like to pick the brains of the visually literate and since you're formally trained in art...how would you compare last week's dragons with Luis' back in season 5?  I remember loving it at the time but now I find the piping a bit busy.

I like Luis's the best of the 3. He was a visual designer IIRC and I see that "design" eye in his dragon (2D planes, graphic, simplified), versus what I would consider more of a  "craft" aesthetic in the other dragons and an "sculptural/artistic" vibe in David's flowers. The piping is very busy, yes, but without it there wouldn't be enough to it. It would have just been flat planes of biscuit, not a showstopper. His had the advantage of having fewer elements; I don't think his would have met the brief of this new challenge so it's not really a fair fight. 

Totally agree with Mabinogia that Priya's dragon, the green one, was hard to understand as a dragon. I liked her sketch and thought the green scale wings would be unique and visually exciting, but in execution it fell flat. They were uneven and mismatched. Worse, there seemed to be no back side to the dragon! I kept looking for its body. The face and front arms were quite well done, yet totally overshadowed by overly large wings and fire. The pieces didn't feel harmonious as a whole.

Michelle's, the red/pink one, was definitely more recognizable. I liked the smooshy icing treatment she used to create scales, that was clever. Because of that, the head is quite successful (if a bit vulture-y), and the fire reads better as well. But then the addition of macarons lets it down, more like polka dots than scales. It felt like the "one extra thing" they feel like they have to add and it would have been stronger without it. (Whereas macarons were PERFECT for the lamb. That was exactly right for wool.) There were just too many slightly-different pinks and reds and the overall effect was just messy IMO. 

The biscuit used for the rooster feathers would have made great scales!

ETA: I watched the last "How to Train your Dragon" this weekend so I have a lot of ideas about dragons and how to visually represent them. 😄

Edited by snarktini
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, snarktini said:

The biscuit used for the rooster feathers would have made great scales!

OMG yes! She could have made an amazing dragon with those biscuits, though I adore that rooster soooo much. It was just so Rosie. 

I also agree that Michelle's smushy technique was pretty cool. Maybe if she'd had more time her dragon would have looked less sloppy. 

I finally see what Priya did. She basically made half a dragon with it's body size in flames. The clip above finally got me to see it. I couldn't make it out at all while watching the show. I was like, there's some red and some blue and I have no idea what is going on here! I think it was more a bad design than badly made while Michelle's was a good concept just sloppily put together. 

I'm still not sure how I feel about Steph's. It is very childish but kind of cute. 

• Love 2