Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, SyracuseMug said:

Maybe not, if the question asked for only the last name.

This is the clue.

It's the last name of the man who said, "Our whole concept was based on speed, lower prices & volume...my God, the carhops were slow"

They only sked for the last name.

9 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

This is the clue.

They only sked for the last name.

Thank you.

I should also post a correction on my comment above. 1955 was the year Ray Kroc reached an agreement with the McDonald brothers to open new franchises outside of their territory. He didn't buy them out completely until 1961.

Additionally, their father opened a food stand called The Airdrome in 1937, and it was this business which the brothers renamed McDonald's Bar-B-Que after moving it to San Bernardino in 1940. It became simply McDonald's in 1948.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

That's the first thing that occurred to me, too, but I knew that couldn't be it unless it was founded by Bob Sonic.

The only Sonic I would have come up with was Sonic the Hedgehog. 😉

3 hours ago, SyracuseMug said:

It wasn't one guy. It was two. The brothers Richard and Maurice McDonald founded the chain fifteen years before Ray Kroc bought them out in 1955.

I knew there were two, but I didn't remember they were brothers, I thought they might have been partners.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:00 PM, M. Darcy said:

Damn, she’s good.

The only one I could think of was Lillian Hellman and I knew it was wrong because she refused to testify and she’s probably considered more a playwright than an author. 

I said Pearl Buck but was fairly sure that was wrong.  There was nothing in that clue which would've guided me to Ayn Rand, although I am vaguely aware of her politics.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:46 AM, M. Darcy said:

I knew Oak Ridge because I used to live in Knoxville but once again, The Simpsons has all the answers. 

From Bart on the Road "First things first-Where is Knoxville? It's in Tennessee, right next to the Oak Ridge nuclear facility birthplace of the atomic bomb." 

I thought of that episode when the clue was revealed, which is why I said Knoxville even though I knew it was wrong.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:36 PM, saber5055 said:

thought of everyone here with the FJ category of WOMAN Authors. Then there was that darned giveaway in the clue, "she." No doubt put there in case you didn't notice "Woman" in the category

You didn't think of everyone, since I don't care about the title of the category and never have.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:04 PM, Browncoat said:

Similarly, my first response for "Higgs Boson" was "god particle" -- I like to think that would have been accepted.

Possibly.  Although my answer of "Boson Higgs" probably wouldn't have been.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:15 PM, chessiegal said:

I'm going to be picky and say "hot water heater" should not have been ruled correct. It's a water heater.

A lot of people say "hot water heater", myself included.  It's perfectly correct, if redundant.

• Love 3

Watching tonight's episode... I don't remember ever laughing out loud for as long during J! as I did tonight when Alex asked "WHY would you want to do that?" or something to that effect - in response to the chap who admitted to memorizing pi to 500 decimals.

I'll still be giggling at bedtime.

Thank you, Alex!

• Love 3

I considered The Twilight Zone, but didn't think it was right.  Then I waffled between The Fugitive and Dr. Who for whatever reasons.  Oh, well.  I can't know everything:)

I got Judy Blume and Robert Todd Lincoln. I've been to HIldene.  It's very nice.

I got the entire categories of Give Me a V, ancient history, early roles and A in Medicine right.  No categories entire wrong, though I only got one right in Homes. So, I had a pretty good night.

• Love 2

Waaaaaa...I do not *ever* recall being so sad that a current champion was ousted. And, I was not interested in the new champ (nothing wrong with her...it's just that Jennifer has always been so calm, kind...ok, she's not one of the smug champs).  I'm verklempt, as they say 😖

• Love 18

I had to think about FJ for a minute, but I got it.  I first tried to focus on the year (it was before my time!), then paid attention to the name of the piece of music.  Strange led me to Twilight Zone in plenty of time to write it down.

It made me terribly sad that Judy Blume was a TS.  I guess tweens don't read her like we used to.  I was surprised that Franz Joseph was a TS -- I'm so bad at history that I think if I know it, everyone should!  

• Love 4

Here's a question.  Hildene is a plantation.  But, there were never any slaves there.  Would weddings there be banned from Bridal magazines and Instagram and whatnot.

Just now, Browncoat said:

It made me terribly sad that Judy Blume was a TS.  I guess tweens don't read her like we used to.

I had to make a quick decision between her and Beverly Cleary.  I read both and I tend to get some of their books mixed up. Luckily I went the right way.

Dear Patrick,

Unless you're dyslexic or in kindergarten (or both) you really should be able to write all your letters in the right direction.

Signed,

A person who spends way too much time teaching kids how to write their letters correctly.

It pretty much broke my heart that Judy Blume was a TS. Really, people? Really?

FJ=instaget.

I was one of the few that wasn't a big fan of Jennifer, so I'm not sorry to see her go. 

I like Kirby, so she'll be one and done. lol

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Dear Patrick,

Unless you're dyslexic or in kindergarten (or both) you really should be able to write all your letters in the right direction.

Signed,

A person who spends way too much time teaching kids how to write their letters correctly.

It pretty much broke my heart that Judy Blume was a TS. Really, people? Really?

FJ=instaget.

I was one of the few that wasn't a big fan of Jennifer, so I'm not sorry to see her go. 

I like Kirby, so she'll be one and done. lol

I take it you aren't a fan of ToysRus ?

• LOL 7
52 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Here's a question.  Hildene is a plantation.  But, there were never any slaves there.  Would weddings there be banned from Bridal magazines and Instagram and whatnot.

Since it's in Vermont, slavery wouldn't even be an issue regardless of the year. That, combined with the fact Robert Todd Lincoln purchased the land in 1902 and the home was built three years after that. I think plantations are only in the south.

54 minutes ago, lb60 said:

The slant of a person's writing helps graphologists to determine personality traits. All those kids you are working so hard to make write identically are going to go their own way eventually. Or at least I hope so!

I've not read any Judy Blume, but a lot of Beverly Cleary. And hooray for late-night Twilight Zone reruns. They are so fun.

Looking forward to Jennifer in the Tournament of Champions. She was an amazing player.

9 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

The slant of a person's writing helps graphologists to determine personality traits. All those kids you are working so hard to make write identically are going to go their own way eventually. Or at least I hope so!

WIthout speaking for lb60, I think that was a reference to the letters facing the correct direction, as in going from left to right, not the shape of the letters.

• Love 4

I was thinking of a more rockin’ number, so I guessed Mission Impossible. At the last second, I finally focused on the year, but it would have been too late.

I did get Robert Todd Lincoln, which I thought would have been an instaget instead of a TS. Maybe everyone wasn’t as obsessed by presidential trivia as I was as a kid, and don’t know the Robert was the only Lincoln child who survived to adulthood. (Fascinating RTL trivia—he was at or in the proximity for three different presidential assassinations, his dad’s, Garfield’s, and McKinley’s.)

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

Since it's in Vermont, slavery wouldn't even be an issue regardless of the year. That, combined with the fact Robert Todd Lincoln purchased the land in 1902 and the home was built three years after that. I think plantations are only in the south.

The word "plantation" is in its official name.  And, there was slavery in the north, including Vermont.  It just ended much sooner and wasn't on as grand of a scale.

• Love 4

Boo to Jennifer's streak ending.  I read the archive rather than seeing the game (it's a football night), so I don't have the full sense of how the game played out beyond the numbers (which make it look like the contestants all played a great game, especially Jennifer and Kirby, and Kirby came out just ahead), but I was digging Jennifer.  And I say this as someone who is neutral on most contestants as I'm watching much more for the clues than them.  At least it's another woman (and I, too, dig that name).

The Judy Blume TS made me so sad I can't even decide how surprising it was; other works of hers, quite, but I'm not sure on that one - maybe mildly?  Franz Joseph was also mildly surprising as a TS (I didn't know it, either; who ruled what when is one of the things I'd have to bone up on if I ever studied to be a contestant), as was Cuban cigars.

But no "wow, I'd have bet money at least one would get that" surprises, and it seemed like a good game.  I'm just a little sad it won't be Jennifer playing tomorrow night when I'm available to watch again.

FJ sprang to mind a little quicker than I'd have expected going back over the clue and analyzing each piece; something about how they all worked together led me to it, but then I had to re-read and ponder to confirm.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I had to think about FJ for a minute, but I got it.  I first tried to focus on the year (it was before my time!), then paid attention to the name of the piece of music.  Strange led me to Twilight Zone in plenty of time to write it down.

I did all of that, and then dismissed it because I couldn't remember any music except for the dee dee dee dee, and thought there needed to be more than that to be a theme song.

12 hours ago, lb60 said:

That's so unusual for you. 😉

11 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I did get Robert Todd Lincoln, which I thought would have been an instaget instead of a TS. Maybe everyone wasn’t as obsessed by presidential trivia as I was as a kid, and don’t know the Robert was the only Lincoln child who survived to adulthood. (Fascinating RTL trivia—he was at or in the proximity for three different presidential assassinations, his dad’s, Garfield’s, and McKinley’s.)

I got him precisely because I knew he was the only son to survive.

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Franz Joseph was also mildly surprising as a TS (I didn't know it, either; who ruled what when is one of the things I'd have to bone up on if I ever studied to be a contestant), as was Cuban cigars.

I enjoyed the clue, as it was shot in my mother's hometown, which I love, and it made me homesick. I gave the answer in full on German in my Austrian/Salzburger accent.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Supposedly he stopped accepting presidential invitations for that very reason! 😀

I didn't get the Twilight Zone.  I don't associate guitars with that music.  The only thing I could come up with was "Bonanza" (I think those are electric guitars in that music).

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

The word "plantation" is in its official name.  And, there was slavery in the north, including Vermont.  It just ended much sooner and wasn't on as grand of a scale.

According to www.hildene.org, it's an estate. Nowhere is it called a plantation. The history of slavery in Vermont is interesting since slave owners kept getting around the ban instituted in 1777, and by calling slaves by "other" names. Vermont itself was not recognized as a state until 1791, when it was admitted as the 14th. Then, according to Wikipedia, "All slavery was finally abolished in Vermont in 1858 when the "Freedom Act" was ratified declaring that any slave brought into Vermont, was free."

This is an interesting side note, also from Wikipedia: "The 1790 census counted 16 slaves in Vermont, all in Bennington County. In 1870, the chief clerk of the Census Bureau, who was from Vermont, changed the reported status of the 16 to "Free Other", alleging that the original report was a mistake. Whether it was really a mistake is a matter of some dispute. (The 1790 census of the United States did not reach Vermont until the following year, 1791, because the government of Vermont took the position that Vermont was not a part of the United States until its admission to the Union in 1791.)

Anyway, all that was way before the Hildene estate was built in 1905. So the original question of can weddings that take place there be posted online, I say yes. YMMV.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't know, or had forgotten, that Lincoln had but one surviving child;

I knew this, but that clue took me back to my favorite show, Timeless (RIP), where Robert Todd Lincoln cut quite the handsome figure in that episode, and got a bit flirty with Lucy. Who did NOT prevent the assassination of his father, even though she had a ton of chances.

• Love 2

I'd never heard of Elmore Leonard that I can recall

He's written a lot of titles that you'd probably recognize. And he's good reading. 

Here are his 10 rules of writing:

1. Never open a book with weather.
2. Avoid prologues.
3. Never use a verb other than "said" to carry dialogue.
4. Never use an adverb to modify the verb "said”…he admonished gravely.
5. Keep your exclamation points under control. You are allowed no more than two or three per 100,000 words of prose.
6. Never use the words "suddenly" or "all hell broke loose."
7. Use regional dialect, patois, sparingly.
8. Avoid detailed descriptions of characters.
9. Don't go into great detail describing places and things.
10. Try to leave out the part that readers tend to skip.

My most important rule is one that sums up the 10.

If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it.”

• Love 5
16 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I guessed at The Twilight Zone even though I didn’t think it was right but it was the only iconic theme song I could think of given the time period.

That, and the word "strange" in the title of the composition made me think of The Twilight Zone, although I was sure it was wrong.

Jennifer is one of the few multi-day champs I've really liked, so I will miss her.  I don't care for Kirby, but I don't hate her or anything.

17 hours ago, Ailianna said:

WIthout speaking for lb60, I think that was a reference to the letters facing the correct direction, as in going from left to right, not the shape of the letters.

In the actual ToysRUs sign, the R is backwards.  (I can't figure out a way to do that on my keyboard.)

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I got him precisely because I knew he was the only son to survive.

Me, too.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

He's written a lot of titles that you'd probably recognize. And he's good reading. 

No, I googled him (Elmore Leonard).  The wikipedia article had a list of his books, and I recognized only "Get Shorty," and that was due to the movie, which I haven't seen.

I liked Jennifer except for the extra-long pauses when picking the category & money value for the next answer.  Don't care for Kirby's hair, but she played well and hopefully won't develop any habits that annoy me.

I picked Twilight Zone right away.  So far this week, I'm 1 out of 1 - go me!

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

No, I googled him.  The wikipedia article had a list of his books, and I recognized only "Get Shorty," and that was due to the movie, which I haven't seen.

Elmore Leonard is my hero since he's the reason for my crush on Timothy Olyphant, star of Justified, which was developed from Leonard's series about Raylan Givens. One episode of Justified had a bunch of "Fire in the Hole" action, another Leonard book title. Leonard's genre (TM Alex Trebek) covered westerns, crime and suspense thrillers.

Knowledge is circular!

• Love 5

I finally got an FJ right.  I went back and forth between getting elected to Congress, but decided it was just too darned early for that.

I also got the TSs of Santa Anna, York, American Idol (after having said The Voice), Pooh Corner (I bet I know someone else who got that one @lb60) and Huey Long.  I got the entire categories of Battle Losers and Asia correct.  

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 3
On 12/16/2019 at 8:29 PM, Bliss said:

I take it you aren't a fan of ToysRus ?

Maybe if they wrote their letters correctly they wouldn't have gone bankrupt. ;-)

Yes, I know they're on the verge of a comeback.

23 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Correct. They're second graders. For now, they're still learning the ins and outs of printing. Cursive in the spring is always an adventure.  

12 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

That's so unusual for you.

I know, right? 

;-)

5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

In the actual ToysRUs sign, the R is backwards.  (I can't figure out a way to do that on my keyboard.)

I also couldn't figure it out.

56 minutes ago, Katy M said:

..Pooh Corner (I bet I know someone else who got that one @lb60)..

I actually wasn't paying attention, so I had no guess.

<sad>

Tonight I got S.W.A.T. and American Idol.

I said elected for FJ, so my streak ends at one.

Edited by lb60
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

It's curious/interesting that most of the people who unseat multi-day champs are one and done, or do not come close to match the runs of their predecessors. Something about the pressure? I know that tonight's episode was shot in the same session as Jennifer's last winning game b/c Jennifer spoke about seeing other games being played, so I wonder if there is an aspect of being caught up in the whirlwind of taping.

Also, Dagmar gave me some serious MIDSOMMAR vibes. 😜
I'm sure she's a lovely person, but I couldn't shake how things Scandinavian are now linked with that great, memorable film.

• Love 3

I really didn't have a clue for tonight's FJ -- ended up saying being elected, but figured it was wrong.  Voting never would have occurred to me.

I did, however, know Santa Anna, American Idol, and Huey Long.  And, since I live near the self-proclaimed Moonshine Capital Of the World, there's no way I could miss white lightning.

I miss Jennifer.

• Love 3

Yikes, I had a bad first round.  Unlike the contestants, I correctly guessed American Idol (I'm surprised no one else took a stab at it), but I didn't know S.W.A.T., either, and missed a couple of other clues in that TV category as well.  War history is one of the things I'd have to study to be on the show, so I did terrible in the Battle Losers category, and I'm not very good with children's literature, either, so I only knew two in that one.

But I was on fire in DJ - the only clue I didn't know was Apple Jacks - and FJ was an instaget, so I rebounded to finish strong.

Other than no one guessing American Idol, none of the TS really surprised me.  I correctly predicted rack and pinion, Huey Long, and Sylvia Plath were going to be TS, and then was slightly disappointed each time I was correct.  The White Lightnin' TS (which Alex added the "g" to) is making the George Jones song of the same name pop into my head intermittently, and I hate that song!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Don't know how to actually do the backwards "R" in Toys "R" Us, but I know how to Google and cut and paste the result.  For everyone to use:

Toys "Я" Us

The same way I do statute symbols (§) 😊.  Yes, I know there are ways to do that on your keyboard, but easier for me to do it my way.

I really liked Jennifer.  An all-time favorite, for me.  I think Kirby was pouting when she was ruled incorrect.  Wish Jennifer was allowed an immediate rematch. 

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 8

I ended up getting Santa Anna, I did say Plantagenet which I think would have worked as well as York, SWAT, Pooh Corner, Huey Long, Cynthia Nixon, and I got FJ. 

Anyone else say, “Lafayette!!” like I did? 

• Love 6

I am going to blame that today was the last of my sinus surgery post op procedures for my intermittent loopiness tonight.  I did get the TSs of Sylvia Plath and Pooh Corner (generally like Dorothy Parker quotes but not against my beloved A.A. Milne) but am embarrassed to admit I got stuck on Huey Lewis for Huey Long and could not make my brain cycle to the correct answer.  Also Huey Lewis songs are playing in my head - I want a new drug! 🤣

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

When Alex Trebek said Jennifer was getting closer to the top ten in two catergories,  I knew that he had jinxed her.

I too was sad Judy Blume was a TS.   I once played Lurvy in a community theatre performance of Charlotte's Web ( with a young Gilland Jones as Charlotte ) so I knew that book right away. 

• Love 4

I'm sorry to see Kirby go, but I'm kinda glad Dagmar didn't make it. Something about her bugged me.

I got Santa Ana, American Idol, Sylvia Plath, Huey Long, and Cynthia Nixon. I couldn't remember the white part of white lightning.

I didn't get FJ. I was wondering about voting, but women got the vote in the 20th century, so... I'm confused.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't get FJ. I was wondering about voting, but women got the vote in the 20th century, so... I'm confused.

As of 1920, women could vote in all elections in the U.S. including federal elections.  Before that, some territories, towns, etc., allowed women to vote in at least some local elections, especially school committee elections.  (This is from memory; I was rather young in 1870.)

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I'm sorry to see Kirby go, but I'm kinda glad Dagmar didn't make it. Something about her bugged me.

I got Santa Ana, American Idol, Sylvia Plath, Huey Long, and Cynthia Nixon. I couldn't remember the white part of white lightning.

I got that one. Women  were allowed to  vote in WY , which at the time  was a  territory  (and hence its citizens  could not  vote in federal  elections  regardless of  gender. )  When Congress  tried to blackmail  WY by withholding  statehood unless they took away wom suffrage, WY basically  told Congress   pack sand .... we're not caving! Congress  caved. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

I got FJ but wasn't sure. I read somewhere that it was some state out west, but thought maybe it was Iowa(??). I settled on the first woman to vote, in any case.  I was sorry to see Jennifer, she was my favourite in a long time. Looking forward to her in the Tournament next year!

I also got Twilight Zone FJ.  I was like 99% sure because of the year and the "strange", but then thinking they were guitars? Never knew that.  Lol.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was relieved to see the last of Kirby as something about her looks (maybe her eyes) was like fingernails on a blackboard for me. Dagmar was precocious, something that an adult should not be. So thank goodness for the man in the middle!  Starting to worry about Alex again. Have they started taping shows that will be on air several months from now? Do they ever take a real break?

13 hours ago, Driad said:

Either Dagmar or the new champ would have been fine with me.  Dagmar's shawl(?) was pretty; anyone know what it was?

I'm not one for scarves or shawls (short neck, I look weird in them), but I did like hers.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

The White Lightnin' TS (which Alex added the "g" to) is making the George Jones song of the same name pop into my head intermittently, and I hate that song!

Ah man, I managed to answer the clue without hearing that song, and now I do. Sigh...

10 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Don't know how to actually do the backwards "R" in Toys "R" Us, but I know how to Google and cut and paste the result. 

My method for umlauts and other non-standard characters. I don't use them often enough to bother to learn how to do them on my keyboard.

9 hours ago, Driad said:

As of 1920, women could vote in all elections in the U.S. including federal elections.  Before that, some territories, towns, etc., allowed women to vote in at least some local elections, especially school committee elections.  (This is from memory; I was rather young in 1870.)

Wyoming was the first territory or state to give women voting rights, and in 1924 elected the first woman governor. Those factoids stuck in my young feminist mind in high school.

1 hour ago, solarfire said:

I also got Twilight Zone FJ.  I was like 99% sure because of the year and the "strange", but then thinking they were guitars? Never knew that.  Lol.

We listened to the theme last night - no guitars involved that I could hear. Never knew there was much more of a song after the iconic first part. It kind of goes on and on. You'd think I'd remember - because in those days you couldn't fast forward.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

So many TS last night.  Sigh - Pooh Corner and Sylvia Plath. 

If you like interesting trivia about Robert Lincoln, he was present or nearby three Presidential Assassinations.  His Dad's of course (he was at the White House at the time) and he was also at the train station when Guiteau shot Garfield and was also at the Pan-American Exposition when McKinley got shot by Czolgosz .  He had been invited by both Presidents to be at those places. 

Apparently he is said to have refused a later presidential invitation with the comment, "No, I'm not going, and they'd better not ask me, because there is a certain fatality about presidential functions when I am present."

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did, however, know Santa Anna, American Idol, and Huey Long.  And, since I live near the self-proclaimed Moonshine Capital Of the World, there's no way I could miss white lightning.

I miss Jennifer.

I got almost all of the TS questions last night.  I'll confess to shouting "Santy Anny!" at the tv for the San Jacinto clue.

I also miss Jennifer.  I'm fine with the new guy, but would've been okay with Dagmar as well.  I, too, loved her shawl.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

But I was on fire in DJ - the only clue I didn't know was Apple Jacks - and FJ was an instaget, so I rebounded to finish strong.

I was running through Kellogg cereals in my mind but never came up with Apple Jacks.  Even though I loved those when I was a kid.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

The White Lightnin' TS (which Alex added the "g" to) is making the George Jones song of the same name pop into my head intermittently, and I hate that song!

Awww, I like that song. ;-)

I didn't get rack and pinion (been years since I've heard the term).  And although I could picture Cynthia Nixon, I couldn't quite come up with her name.

12 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Don't know how to actually do the backwards "R" in Toys "R" Us, but I know how to Google and cut and paste the result.  For everyone to use:

Toys "Я" Us

Thanks.  :-)  I had googled it to be sure about the backwards "R", but then didn't think to cut and paste.  D'oh.

12 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I did say Plantagenet which I think would have worked as well as York,

Both the House of York and the House of Lancaster were descended from the Plantagenets (from different sons of Edward III), so the House of Plantagenet was the winner of that battle as well.  You should've gotten a BMS with that answer, but who knows with Jeopardy's judges?

• Love 5