Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I took a break at halftime to read through the clues on the archive.

I laughed when rickets science was a TS and Alex scolded  they'd have known it if they'd started at the top of the category.  He's always been cranky about that -- unless it's his beloved James, of course.

That KGB clue had no business being a DD in DJ (boy, that sentence is alphabet soup).

I got FJ, but like several others was thrown by "barbarians".

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Pallida said:

Barbarians and actor made me say Austria.

Me too! I kept thinking "Where is Ah-nold from?"!!! I *think* it's Austria. I think maybe the contestants thought Germany and that's why they gave that answer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

FJ was an instaget for me. I’m laughing because so many of you associated it with Arnold. That never entered my mind. 

I’m good with Jennifer. It’s nice to see a woman do so well and that there are many less TSers since she’s been on. Not that I want to jinx her...

• Love 10

My first thought was Hungary, because magyars=huns=barbarians, Budapest is the birthplace of Zsa Zsa Gabor (and Eva, who was miles better), and the country was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire....You know what? Screw J! MY answer makes more sense than Monaco.

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

FJ was an instaget for me. I’m laughing because so many of you associated it with Arnold. That never entered my mind. 

Same here.  Then I started thinking other countries have royalty and some have movie stars - I think all of Europe had barbarians at one time or another.

If I got any ts's I didn't write them down and don't remember any.

I like Jennifer too. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Darn game delayed Jeopardy, and apparently the network played an infomercial, but somehow FJ was recorded. I still don't see how barbarians are associated with Monaco, but boo hiss, it stopped me from a rare FJ sweep.

The clue quoted a tourism website - J! didn't write the description of the country.

A tourism website for this country noted its colorful history “filled with barbarians”, royalty, “& even a movie star”

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The clue quoted a tourism website - J! didn't write the description of the country.

Not blaming Jeopardy for the description, I know it came from the tourism website. Still not getting the barbarian connection, though. Still 😞 mopey that it ruined my sweep - the only time I've come even close this season.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Still not getting the barbarian connection, though

From the "thejeopardyfan" site: 

More information about Final Jeopardy:

In the 13th century, in amongst the battles of the Guelphs and the Ghibellines in Italy, Francesco Grimaldi (a Guelph), captured the Rock of Monaco (an important Mediterranean defense post); the Grimaldi house has ruled Monaco since. In the early 17th century, its then-leader, Lord Honore II decided himself worthy of a new title, Prince (explaining why Monaco is a principality). With most of the principality’s natural resources ceded to France in the 1860s, Prince Charles III determined that tourism and gambling were the best ways of revitalizing the Monegasque economy. It worked and is a world-renowned tourist destination. Today, Prince Albert II rules over the principality; his mother was famous movie star Grace Kelly, who married Prince Rainier III in 1956. The principality is also well-known for hosting the crown jewel in the Formula One auto racing schedule, the Monaco Grand Prix, each May.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, illdoc said:

From the "thejeopardyfan" site: 

More information about Final Jeopardy:

In the 13th century, in amongst the battles of the Guelphs and the Ghibellines in Italy, Francesco Grimaldi (a Guelph), captured the Rock of Monaco (an important Mediterranean defense post); the Grimaldi house has ruled Monaco since. In the early 17th century, its then-leader, Lord Honore II decided himself worthy of a new title, Prince (explaining why Monaco is a principality). With most of the principality’s natural resources ceded to France in the 1860s, Prince Charles III determined that tourism and gambling were the best ways of revitalizing the Monegasque economy. It worked and is a world-renowned tourist destination. Today, Prince Albert II rules over the principality; his mother was famous movie star Grace Kelly, who married Prince Rainier III in 1956. The principality is also well-known for hosting the crown jewel in the Formula One auto racing schedule, the Monaco Grand Prix, each May.

Though I don't know a Guelph from a Ghibelline, I thank you. 🙂

27 minutes ago, dcalley said:

The Embassy of Monaco says "After the collapse of the Western Roman Empire in 476, Monaco was ravaged by Saracens and barbarian tribes."

Ah now, out of the official mouth of Monoco (or something like that).

I knew that if I (truthfully) pleaded ignorance long enough, someone would do the work for me. Thank you both for educating me today.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I knew that if I (truthfully) pleaded ignorance long enough, someone would do the work for me. Thank you both for educating me today.

My house had already looked it up because we didn't know either!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Darn game delayed Jeopardy, and apparently the network played an infomercial, but somehow FJ was recorded. I still don't see how barbarians are associated with Monaco, but boo hiss, it stopped me from a rare FJ sweep.

We missed it here, too. DVR picked it up as scheduled in the middle of the night, but it was people talking about sports. Booo!

• Love 1
On 12/6/2019 at 11:36 AM, Gimmick Genius said:

I think she resembles deadpan Janeane Garofalo. 

Exactly who I was thinking of.

7 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I object to the Die Hard 2 question. The complete title of that film is just “Die Hard 2.” “Die Harder” was just a tagline. 

I was wondering about that. However, I said Die Harder anyway.

I also got the DD where the answer was 12.

I got FJ fairly quickly. I didn't know about the barbarians, but everything else sounded right.

• Love 1

I thought the barbarian explanation on TheJeopardyFan site was poor to non-existent. So Guelphs and Ghibellines were barbarians? Plus the JF site's explanation was so long and wordy, it practically put me to sleep. I give it an F.

So thank you @dcalley for posting an explanation that makes barbarian sense. Although 476 was a HUGE time span before the 13th century. And as someone else posted, wasn't all of Europe pretty much inhabited by barbarians back then? Neanderthal Man could be called a barbarian.

I blame the that travel site's PR person for a crummy FJ clue.

• Love 3

I finally got caught up.

There were so many TS on Tuesday, that I lost track of all the ones I got.  The ones that surprised me, though, were The Bell Jar (missed DD), Carol Channing, Kentucky, and Rin Tin Tin.  For FJ, I knew what they wanted, but just could not come up with the name.

For Wednesday's game, I actually got Don Giovanni!  I didn't keep a list of the TS, though.

Thursday's game was just annoying.  Kelly really needed to use her inside voice, and Jeff Goldblum was slower than Oprah.  I will agree that Kelly is a whistling virtuoso -- I've only known one other person who could whistle that well.  I did get Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer.

I paid even less attention to Friday's game.  Turns out that binge-watching is apparently not something I like to do.  FJ was an instaget. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 12/5/2019 at 10:33 PM, peeayebee said:

I was excited to see that Jeff Goldblum was participating, but then I worried how long it would take for him to recite the clues. Oh well. I don't like him any less. However, I'm pissed that his new show is on a channel that I don't have. 

For FJ I said Frosty the Snowman, and then I immediately thought it was probably Rudolph.

I was away for a few days and Thursday's game was the only one I caught live - we were absolutely dying over the Jeff Goldblum category. The people I was watching with are not regular Jeopardy watchers and even they were appalled with how excruciatingly slow he was. If they had missed out on clearing the board I would have been furious.

For FJ I immediately said "It's either Frosty or Rudolph" and then of course picked the wrong one.

I did get Monaco immediately for FJ but also was unsure how barbarians fit into it.

• Love 4

I had a taping screw up on Friday, and so missed the show, but looked at the FJ question on FikkleFame.  I would've gotten it correct, based on the royalty & movie star part, but in a "Idk, maybe Monaco?" kind of way.

I also would've gotten the Die Hard TS correct, although I kinda thought I was making the "Die Harder" part up.  (Die Hard is my very favorite Christmas movie, but I've only seen one of the sequels, and that one wasn't it.)

I like Jennifer so I'm fine with her winning again.

Okay, so now I've looked at all the clues, and I would've done pretty well in that game.  Would've run several categories including Black's Law.  But I would've missed Terminator 2: Judgment Day and Airplane 2: the Sequel (despite having see them both).  But hey, Breakin' 2: Electric Bugaloo!  That's now my go to title for all "2" movies.

And how, exactly, was William the Conqueror a TS?

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Thursday's game was just annoying.  Kelly really needed to use her inside voice, and Jeff Goldblum was slower than Oprah.  I will agree that Kelly is a whistling virtuoso -- I've only known one other person who could whistle that well.  

I used to think I liked Jeff Goldblum.  It seems that I was wrong.

Sorry, but Kelly's whistling is not virtuosic.  Talented amateur is about as much as I'd give her.

• Love 2

I did not get FJ.  I'm very disappointed in myself.  I recently read a biography of George Bush and that little tidbit was in there.  But could I remember?  No.  Of course not.

The only TS I got was Paradise Lost.

I got all the Pokémon questions right.  Not sure why. When they revealed the category I had assumed I would get them all wrong. I thought that Pokémon Go game had been around longer than 3 years, but it probably just seems like it.

I must say, it's so nice to like the current repeat champion. Tonight I didn't do too badly (relatively speaking, heh heh).  I know nothing of Harry Potter (initially I typed Henry!).  I also liked the other two contestants. So, three good contestants--no eccentrics or annoying oddballs. I call that a good game night 😊

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I wonder if they would have ruled me correct if I'd said, "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" or "You-Know-Who" instead of Voldemort.

Starting off the week well, I was clueless for FJ.

I think they would have asked for a BMS.  Or Alex could have joked, he must be named for credit.

• Love 2

I disagree with the judges ruling giving Ann credit for her incorrect answer (not that it mattered) on the D.I.D clue. Just because what she said is a word in the OED doesn't make it correct. The correct word is "Dissociative".

• Love 13

I am extremely loopy from sinus surgery today so have discovered a fun new way to watch tv.  Suffice it to say, it was not my best night for answering questions.  But I could still root for the current champ as a sister Michigander.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

FJ was an instaget for Mr. Zoey.  He's very knowledgeable about Presidents, VPs, etc.  I on the other hand figured out the year and still couldn't come up with it.

I like Jennifer, but it still seems like there are some extra-long pauses when she's choosing a category.  Only one ungiven answer in Round 1, but four in Double J!  Don't know if it was the pauses or something else that slowed them so much.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Knowing both the English rulers and the American presidents came in handy today! I got the TS of Godwin (King Harold was Harold Godwinson) and knew FJ once I did the math and got 1836 for the election year.

I got Godwin too, but I thought that was a pretty challenging clue.  I'm not sure how well known Harold Godwinson is these days!

I should have gotten Van Buren--I did the math right, and everything!--but kept wanting to say James Monroe (who was never even a Vice President) instead.

• Love 1

FJ was a small challenge tonight, but I focused on the year, then that it had to be a war/military movie, and Patton came to me pretty quickly.  Not an instaget, and I wasn't certain, but I got it in plenty of time to write it down.

Yay, Jennifer!  Sorry, end guy, that you didn't win enough to pay down your student loans.

• Love 3

I was watching football last night and never got around to checking the archive, so I was pleased to see Jennifer still there tonight - and then to see her win again.

The Pritzker TS surprised me a bit as architecture is a frequent enough J! subject I’d have thought at least one of three people who prepped to compete on the show would know the industry's big prize. 

My only real surprise of the game was Ben not even having a guess on the Amnesty International DD, but, then again, I suspect he had too many organizations swirling around in his head to pick one in time.  Kudos to the J! writers for using Colin Kaepernick as one of the clue's two examples of "defenders of human rights" who've been honored as Ambassador of Conscience.

• Love 6

I should have known the Pritzker Prize—I knew the Architectural Society was based in Chicago and should have put a Chicago family name to it. I did get Amnesty International, but he couldn’t hear me yelling it at the tv. 

• LOL 2
On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 11:38 PM, peeayebee said:

The only TS I got was A&P. I remember reading that in college.

I've never heard of the book, but there used to be an A&P in the town where we always had to go for our groceries when I was a kid (no grocery stores in my hometown) so that was my answer.  Not that we shopped there - we were Pantry Pride folk.

Vice Presidents is a nightmare category for me, especially early ones, so I had no clue for FJ.  If it ain't George Clinton, Vice President and founder of Parliament/Funkadelic, I don't know it.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:44 AM, Sharpie66 said:

I got the TS of Godwin (King Harold was Harold Godwinson)

There are times when my degree in Medieval and Renaissance Studies comes in handy.

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

FJ was a small challenge tonight, but I focused on the year, then that it had to be a war/military movie, and Patton came to me pretty quickly.  Not an instaget, and I wasn't certain, but I got it in plenty of time to write it down.

Patton was one of my father's favorite movies.  We had to watch it every time it came on television.  It was an absolute instaget for me.  Hell, I didn't even need the year.

10 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I should have known the Pritzker Prize—I knew the Architectural Society was based in Chicago and should have put a Chicago family name to it. I did get Amnesty International, but he couldn’t hear me yelling it at the tv. 

I got Amnesty International, and knew what they wanted for the Pritzker Prize due to a mention in a Dick Francis book, but couldn't pull the name out of my brain.

• Love 5

Seems there's an internet brawl about J!'s FJ being WRONG yesterday - the 1970 Oscar went to Midnight Cowboy, not Patton. Patton won in 1971; however, it was a 1970 movie, and the quoted conversation was obviously from Patton, not MC.

I wonder if the J! writers have a limit to the number of mistakes they're allowed to make before getting a pink slip.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I've never heard of the book, but there used to be an A&P in the town where we always had to go for our groceries when I was a kid (no grocery stores in my hometown) so that was my answer. 

It's a short story, not a book. No A&Ps around where I lived, so I hadn't heard of them before reading the story.

• Love 1

Yesterday's FJ I got instantly, then had too much time to think maybe it was Apocalypse Now, but I remember that started differently so went back to Patton. Time is not always my friend. And I only have a vague reference to years.

The Pritzker Prize was in a Dick Francis book? How on earth does that relate to a steeplechase jockey. I'm a DF fan, but the name Pritzker wouldn't have remained with me since the gov hadn't removed all those toilets yet from his mansion.

We had A+P stores here, although my mom preferred the National Tea grocery, National for short. When we visited relatives in Arkansas, we shopped at the Piggly. Back then, groceries were regional and it was fun to bring items back that couldn't be bought locally.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Bliss said:

Seems there's an internet brawl about J!'s FJ being WRONG yesterday - the 1970 Oscar went to Midnight Cowboy, not Patton. Patton won in 1971; however, it was a 1970 movie, and the quoted conversation was obviously from Patton, not MC.

A DJ on the radio just said Alex addresses the issue tonight. We’ll see if thats true.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, opus said:

A DJ on the radio just said Alex addresses the issue tonight. We’ll see if thats true.

I believe the clue was:

The first words spoken in this 1970 Best Picture Oscar winner are “Ten-hut!” “Be seated”

All they needed was the word, 'movie', inserted after '1970' and followed by a comma:

The first words spoken in this 1970 movie, Best Picture Oscar winner are “Ten-hut!” “Be seated”

That way, 1970 is describing movie rather than winner which is the issue. JMO.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

The Pritzker Prize was in a Dick Francis book? How on earth does that relate to a steeplechase jockey. I'm a DF fan, but the name Pritzker wouldn't have remained with me since the gov hadn't removed all those toilets yet from his mansion.

Not all Dick Francis books centered around jockeys.  In that particular book, the main character had been an architecture student, designed houses for a living (really cool houses using mainly abandoned buildings) and only got involved with the family who owned a racetrack because he was sort of related to them.  There is a mention of the Pritzker Prize in a discussion between the main character and an old friend from college.  Don't know why I remember that, but for some reason, I do.

49 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I believe the clue was:

The first words spoken in this 1970 Best Picture Oscar winner are “Ten-hut!” “Be seated”

All they needed was the word, 'movie', inserted after '1970' and followed by a comma:

The first words spoken in this 1970 movie, Best Picture Oscar winner are “Ten-hut!” “Be seated”

That way, 1970 is describing movie rather than winner which is the issue. JMO.

It is awkwardly phrased.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I logic-ed it out pretty quickly, given the year (when my dad retired from the military - so Patton was a must see.)

18 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Pritzker TS surprised me a bit as architecture is a frequent enough J! subject I’d have thought at least one of three people who prepped to compete on the show would know the industry's big prize.

I've heard the name many times (mostly on Jeopardy) but for some reason, I can never connected it to architecture.

6 hours ago, Bliss said:

I wonder if the J! writers have a limit to the number of mistakes they're allowed to make before getting a pink slip.

As I understand it, though the awards are held in the following year, the year of the Best Picture (or actress, etc.) is defined by the year the movie was released. So the Midnight Cowboy would have been the best picture of 1969. I could be wrong, but I believe that's the way it works.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Not all Dick Francis books centered around jockeys.  In that particular book, the main character had been an architecture student, designed houses for a living (really cool houses using mainly abandoned buildings) and only got involved with the family who owned a racetrack because he was sort of related to them.  There is a mention of the Pritzker Prize in a discussion between the main character and an old friend from college.  Don't know why I remember that, but for some reason, I do.

I knew it had to have something to do with horses - I loved how his books always had some relation to racing. I was always amazed at what I'd learn about some never before even imagined aspect of racing I'd learn about.

• Love 3