Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: The Reunion

• Start Topic

I really enjoyed this. I don't know a thing about these actors real life. I wasn't a big fan of the show and I watched some of it back then and have seen some reruns (I was a bit old for it but just found out GC is older than me!). I DVRed this because people at work were talking about it. I ended up liking this more than they did. Though they were all huge fans of the original show so maybe that influenced their feelings about this. I don't know.

I think Tori looks pretty bad but I also think she handled the comedy pretty well. As did JG. I liked the rest of the cast too. I can't wait for Shannon to arrive more fully since I was more Team Brenda back in the day and I liked her on Charmed and dumped that show when she left.

I thought the Luke Perry tributes were just right.

• Love 9
45 minutes ago, fountain said:

As I watched a lot of Tori and Dean stuff I maybe found her more endearing than others did as IDK why there is just something about Tori I like. 

Me too.  Of course, I don't read all the gossip columns so I am just going by the reality shows and books I've read.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Moxie Cat said:

On a related note, is Joe E. Tata still alive? 

Yes! He’s in his 80’s. Christine Elise posted a pic from an event they did a few nights ago and he was there. 

• Love 12

I never saw Beverley Hills 90210 originally (I was about one year old when the first season started!) and I am only really aware of it through pop culture osmosis and catching a few reruns in the afternoon in the summer in high school on Soap Net, and I have become more familiar with a lot of the actors and their more recent stuff, but I still really liked this. Its another in the line of nostalgia baked remakes that are everywhere, but its a pretty clever way of playing with that. Its not the characters coming back to try and relive their past, its the actors themselves trying to relive their pasts and find some closure. Its kind of like the Galaxy Quest of 90s teen soaps, but with less space ships. 

The Luke Perry tributes felt just right. I wondered when they would bring up where Luke was, and I think they handled it really well, especially in the midst of all these hijinks. His death is still pretty raw for me, so that really hit me right in the gut when they mentioned him, both times. 

So I might have to read here or do further 90s research to get all the show references, but this seems like a ton of fun, especially for a later summer show!

• Love 12
3 hours ago, alexa said:

I saw mixed reviews, and the ratings were okay and what FOX hoped for but not super high.  But hey, it probably did better than some other new shows.  It will be more interesting to see if they keep or lose viewers. 

It won the time slot for the key demo, is the highest rated scripted network show for the whole summer and Fox’s highest rated off season show since 2016. I’m not sure anyone could’ve expected anything better.

I too am curious as to whether they can retain a good chunk of that.

I’m also really curious about it’s DVR and streaming performance. This concept is odd for network, but screams streaming.  I wonder if it’ll eventually become just that.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, ButIAm said:

I’m also really curious about it’s DVR and streaming performance. This concept is odd for network, but screams streaming.  I wonder if it’ll eventually become just that.

Probably won’t hear anything about DVR playback for a few days, but considering Fox is in transition mode due losing the production arm to Disney, they’ll take anything they can get that give them demo numbers. A 1.5 is pretty good for a summer show despite having 3.5 million people tuning in. I expect that number to jump once dvr is added on as people catch up. The question becomes now that people finally figured out the premise, will the numbers stay like that or erode? 

• Useful 4
On 8/7/2019 at 9:27 PM, ByaNose said:

...Shannon looked good after all she’s been through but the gap teeth throws me off because she didn’t have it when she did the original 90210 or just never noticed it. 

I, too, was thrown off by the gap between Shannon's two front teeth.  I still watch the original series on POP,  they are now on the episodes of Dylan's dad being blown up & Dylan "choosing" Kelly.   There is no gap between Shannon's 2 front teeth but there is a gap between the tooth next to her front tooth & her eye tooth.  I had googled Shannon recently because,  after all of these years,  it had just dawned on me that she is the same person who played Jenny Wilder in Little House on the Prairie... and the guy who played her dad in LH, played Chancellor Arnold! There was some discussion on the 'new gap', one article said she wore retainers for years to keep the gap closed & got tired of wearing it.   I wonder,  though, if it had to do with her medical issues and medication.  I was on heavy doses of morphine and  dilaudid, which caused damage to my teeth.  I had to have a back molar removed & it caused a shift in the remaining teeth because of wearing braces as a kid. 

I enjoyed the show.  When I first heard this was going to be done,  I was not looking forward to BH90210, The Middle Age Years,  where everyone continued on happily ever after.   It was fun to see everyone from the original first episodes together again.   

I do have to say,  if I saw JG walking down the street,  I would never connect her to JG, Kelly Taylor years,  she looks nothing like her.  I have seen TS plenty of times over the years,  tabloids, reality shows, psychic commercials.   She has really overdone the changes, botox,  fillers,  to where she looks like a rubber mask.  

It will be fun to see how this continues on. 

Add me to the list who teared up when the Porche rolled up, especially after just seeing "Once Upon A Time in Hollywood". 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

YES!!!!  Good old days - Teen, Seventeen and Young Miss:)

Is Young Miss the same thing as YM? If so I never knew that LOL.

But you just reminded me that back in high school (mid to late 90s) my best friend (and now pregnant wife), use to read YM quizzes to me over the phone! Hadn’t thought of that in years. Your post really cracked open some great memories, so thanks for that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So I might have to read here or do further 90s research to get all the show references, but this seems like a ton of fun, especially for a later summer show!

The original episodes are on there now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Slightly off topic.. could anyone picture NBC doing something similar with Saved By The Bell..?

(good luck trying to get Dustin Diamond and Lark Voorhies to appear though lol)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TDT said:

Slightly off topic.. could anyone picture NBC doing something similar with Saved By The Bell..?

(good luck trying to get Dustin Diamond and Lark Voorhies to appear though lol)

Don't think the others would do it if Dustin was involved.  Dustin would do it because he needs a paycheck.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, hypnotoad said:

I think Tori looks pretty bad but I also think she handled the comedy pretty well. As did JG. I liked the rest of the cast too.

I love watching them do comedy -- in fact most of them went on to do exactly that (Garth, Priestley, Green, Ziering) pretty damn well. And honestly, as much as the show always thought Tori was hysterically funny (she wasn't) she's pretty good at the comedy when playing herself. I think Carteris and Doherty were really the only ones who didn't do comedy long-term after the original series but so far they're handling it really nicely.

(Though this is reminding me of the Tori/Jennie sitcom Mystery Girls, in which Tori had to play the comedy and Jennie was the straight man. It was awful.)

• Love 4
10 hours ago, ButIAm said:

It really does feel like a binge show. Since it's also running same-day Hulu I imagine a chunk of people will just watch it all at once when it's all said and done. If Fox doesn't renew it I wouldn't be at all surprised if Hulu just takes it over next year.

• Love 6
On 8/7/2019 at 9:17 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Can Kellie Martin show up as an obsessive fan?

I sometimes get confused on if this is an actual actor’s name or a 90210 character. So, she would be the perfect obsessed fan. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:
On 8/8/2019 at 9:18 AM, sistersledge said:

(Anyone else remember when she won the Teen Magazine model search with another Tiffany? Just me?)

YES!!!!  Good old days - Teen, Seventeen and Young Miss:)

YES! OMG, I can't believe someone else remembers that. I was addicted to Teen (in elementary school, go figure!) The other Tiffany was blonde and didn't have a hyphen. This was BEFORE Saved by the Bell and I recognized her right away when that show began airing. TAT always had a memorable look about her.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, TDT said:

Didn't Jimmy Fallon get TAT, Berkeley, Lopez, and Gosselaar together to do a SBTB skit on his show, a year or two ago? They might be able to corral the four of them. I'd rather see TAT show up on this, though. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, gesundheit said:

nd honestly, as much as the show always thought Tori was hysterically funny (she wasn't) she's pretty good at the comedy when playing herself.

Towards the end of the original show, someone on the directing or writing staff apparently thought it was funny for TS to give these over-the-top line deliveries. One example: in "Brandon Leaves," someone buys a top during Now Wear This's launch party, and TS says in this weird voice, "Oh yeah!!! Steeeep right up!!!" And Steve laughs hysterically like Donna is just the funniest person ever. Between that and the Noah-whispering, Donna is really hard to take in the last few seasons.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

Towards the end of the original show, someone on the directing or writing staff apparently thought it was funny for TS to give these over-the-top line deliveries. One example: in "Brandon Leaves," someone buys a top during Now Wear This's launch party, and TS says in this weird voice, "Oh yeah!!! Steeeep right up!!!" And Steve laughs hysterically like Donna is just the funniest person ever. Between that at the Noah-whispering, Donna is really hard to take in the last few seasons.

It started early on when they had her doing little physical comedy bits in the mermaid dress thing. Was that season 2? They really thought they had a comic genius on their hands. But yes, it got really over-the-top in seasons 8-10. Totally insufferable.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

This is going to sound terrible, but it’s so strange for me to hear Tori Spelling’s voice coming out of that face. I didn’t watch any of her reality shows so I’m just not used to seeing her look so... different. 

I liked it. Tori Spelling really is at her best when she's doing a parody of herself. When I first thought the dream sequence was real, I was annoyed, but the second Tori said "Just when I think things are slowing down BOOM, I fall in a hibachi", I was on board.

• Love 12

Count me among those who found Jennie to be a highlight of the first episode. Surprising, considering I found Kelly to be super frustrating and annoying in the original series (at least by the time they got to the college years). She seemed to nail the tone that resonated with me the most - mostly campy and fun, but with just enough acknowledgment of the dark shit going on beneath the surface. Her snarky comments throughout got the biggest laughs from me. 

I will definitely keep watching, but as others have pointed out, the pacing felt a little off to me, and at times the first episode felt downright chaotic and weirdly hard to follow. I feel like I missed bits and pieces of dialogue because the editing was so jumbled. But hopefully that evens out once they start following a more linear, cohesive storyline. 

• Love 7

If Luke Perry’s death is raw for his fans how do you think it is for people he was really friends with?   I thought the show handled it well without getting boggled down by it but not ignoring his absence either.  They acknowledge him not being there is going to be a huge hole but life does go on for them.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 16
4 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

If Luke Perry’s death is raw for his fans how do you think it is for people he was really friends with?   I thought the show handled it well without getting boggled down by it bit not ignoring his absence either.  They acknowledge him not being there is going to be a huge hole but life does go on for them.  

This.  Jennie & Tori were on Bravo's WWHL earlier in the week and caller asked about their favorite moments with Luke.  Jennie got so choked up she could barely speak and finally eeked out that there were too many to mention.

I like the format, keeps it fresh & interesting. Trying to bring the characters back together in their 40s/50s would feel too contrived.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, gesundheit said:

I think Carteris and Doherty were really the only ones who didn't do comedy long-term after the original series but so far they're handling it really nicely.

It's interesting that Doherty was already known prior to 90210 for comedy; she's quite funny in Heathers. Did anyone see the reboot? I have no idea how humorous it was, or if Shannen had a large role.

Most of Gabby's post 90210 work are dramatic roles in TV movies and guest spots on primetime. But she did comedy on a couple shows like The Middle and King of the Hill.

54 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

but the second Tori said "Just when I think things are slowing down BOOM, I fall in a hibachi", I was on board.

Oh, that was pretty funny....but It all got meta-meta for me when show-Tori mentioned trying desperately to figure out new hooks for reality shows for her family....and it dawned on me that THIS SHOW is REAL-Tori's new hook. She doesn't mind using real-life stuff like the hibachi incident because basically, this show IS her new reality show. (I think I just hurt my brain.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Moxie Cat said:

Didn't Jimmy Fallon get TAT, Berkeley, Lopez, and Gosselaar together to do a SBTB skit on his show, a year or two ago? They might be able to corral the four of them. I'd rather see TAT show up on this, though. 

Yup.

And they all looked AMAZING. Like shockingly close to their original characters. Lopez looked literally unchanged. It was some kind of black magic.

• Love 8

count me among those who enjoyed this. I hope it keeps going for a reasonable time and only gets better.

My husband and I made a point to watch it together, because "back in the day" (90210 college years and beyond) we watched every Wednesday night and enjoyed snarking with the show, while also enjoying some of the storylines. We still like to make fun of the more silly parts. We both did the fist bump at the beginning. My youngest was in the room and started asking questions--I told him, you weren't alive when this was originally on and hold the questions until it's over!

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

I don’t watch behind the scenes stuff mostly because it ruins the magic for me. I also usually don’t want to know that my favorite actor or actress is an asshole in real life.    That all being said....Damn was the original really in the 90?  I am old.   I was smack dab in the middle of the age range the show was aiming for.  Maybe high end of it.   I was 16 when the show originally aired in 1990.   I honestly don’t remember too much of back then.  I blocked most of it all out but I do remember watching the show and liking it.   I actually remember being a Brandon/Gabrielle shipper at one point and was disappointed that the show didn’t go that way.    I forget what I thought of all the other characters and pairings. 

Now I did know all the girl drama going on but not how bad it got.   Mostly I knew of Shannon.  I had no idea that Jennie Garth was being portrayed (true or not) as a slutty rage monster.     It just makes me sad true or not.  Anyway I really like this.  That the actors are all playing some weird version of how everyone sees them.  True or not.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, ButIAm said:

I’m curious, how do you know what Tori Spelling is doing in real life to acknowledge and fix whatever her problems are? Your post also seems to be taking her life choices awfully personal...

Tori owes several credit card companies and banks hundreds of thousands of dollars.  She continues to miss court dates, she doesn't seem to care or want to pay.  I think she hopes/expects that her mom will pay it all off for her, and maybe she will.. but in the meantime, one bank was able to collect some money from one of her checking or savings accounts, and it was reported that the money in that account wasn't hers, but Dean's son Jack's money that he had spent all summer earning.  

Basically Tori is a bit of a low-life who doesn't pay her bills.  She mentioned in her books that she was never taught how to budget because she grew up wealthy.  She also likes to pretend that her money troubles are all for show, so she can look relatable to fans, but if that was true then why is she being sued?

I have a love-hate thing for Tori, myself.  More hate but I still watch her shows, and read her books.

3 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Towards the end of the original show, someone on the directing or writing staff apparently thought it was funny for TS to give these over-the-top line deliveries. One example: in "Brandon Leaves," someone buys a top during Now Wear This's launch party, and TS says in this weird voice, "Oh yeah!!! Steeeep right up!!!" And Steve laughs hysterically like Donna is just the funniest person ever. Between that and the Noah-whispering, Donna is really hard to take in the last few seasons.

SHE thought she was funny!  In her books, she mentioned that she was obviously hired because she was Aaron Spelling's daughter, BUT she insists that she was the breakout star because she is actually FUNNY!  She rewrote scripts to add "funnier" scenes for herself and no one stopped her because she was the boss's daughter.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, ButIAm said:

It's interesting that Doherty was already known prior to 90210 for comedy; she's quite funny in Heathers. Did anyone see the reboot? I have no idea how humorous it was, or if Shannen had a large role.

I agree, Shannen is quite good in Heathers. I remember reading an interview in EW a few years ago (maybe for the 25th anniversary?) and the director commented that he felt kind of bad for Shannen at the time of Heathers' release because she didn't really seem to "get" that the film was a dark comedy, and as such she more or less just played it straight. And then when she saw the film, she was embarrassed because she felt like her performance stood out from the rest of the cast who knew what the film was going for (don't quote me on this, I'm going by memory). I was surprised to read that, though, because I've always felt that she totally nailed her role in that movie, and her performance is totally in line with everyone else's.

I only made it a few episodes into the TV reboot. Shannen appeared very, very briefly as JD's mom. She might have had more of a role in later episodes, but of the few episodes I watched, she was only in one and I don't recall her having any lines. I kinda dug where the series was coming from, and how it flipped things around and turned the "popular kids" from the film into power-hungry outcasts. But it quickly became pretty convoluted and it didn't take long for me to realize it didn't have a whole lot to say, and wasn't nearly as edgy as it thought it was. 

Edited by GrahamV
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I had no idea that Jennie Garth was being portrayed (true or not) as a slutty rage monster.     It just makes me sad true or not.  Anyway I really like this.  That the actors are all playing some weird version of how everyone sees them.  True or not.

Did you watch the show or did someone say that?

Because framing her character like this is kind of...rude?  She seemed to me to be portraying a woman who was having a sort of mid-life crisis in realizing she wasn't the young cutie who had men clamoring after her anymore and was instead now a has-been thrice divorced.  She sat in a pool and flirted a little.  I don't know if she did anything I'd consider slutty.  If it's the fact she "slept" with JP...I don't see anyone in here calling him derogatory names and out of the two of them HE was married.

I also didn't see her as a rage monster.  Just a woman who isn't down with the images some of her co-stars wanted to portray when she knew otherwise.  And tbh it was refreshing given the fact that it's well known JP was a partier yet very much portrayed a different public face to the world.  

• Love 15
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

Basically Tori is a bit of a low-life who doesn't pay her bills.  She mentioned in her books that she was never taught how to budget because she grew up wealthy.  She also likes to pretend that her money troubles are all for show, so she can look relatable to fans, but if that was true then why is she being sued?

She also is a shopaholic and hoarder. I remember one "Tori and Dean" episode where she was trying to put her stuff in storage, and the storage facility was HUGE - she had so much dang stuff! She also opened a store at one point to try to sell some of it. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Just FYI - I believe that the girl playing Jennie's daughter (whom we saw briefly sitting outside the pool at their house) is Jennie's real daughter, and will appear in future episodes as well.

I am DYING for them to do a storyline where Jennie decides to bribe a water polo coach $500,000 to designate her social media influencer daughter to go to NotUSC (I'm sure they'd have to make up a school) as a water polo player. It'd be a lovely little homage to the CW 90210.

SHE thought she was funny!  In her books, she mentioned that she was obviously hired because she was Aaron Spelling's daughter, BUT she insists that she was the breakout star because she is actually FUNNY!  She rewrote scripts to add "funnier" scenes for herself and no one stopped her because she was the boss's daughter.   

It's been years since I read her book, but I believe Tori framed this as being something like, "I was only a bit character in the first few episodes which was fine by my father but the writers saw all the funny little faces I was making in the background and decided to make me the comic relief!"

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 8/7/2019 at 11:27 PM, ByaNose said:

Shannon looked good after all she’s been through but the gap teeth throws me off because she didn’t have it when she did the original 90210 or just never noticed it.

OT: I never had a gap between my front teeth as a kid, but I sure do now. 

If you missed it, they are showing it again tonight.

I forgot to mention that Peach Pit fake-out opening scene. It confused me, so I laughed when it was just Tori's dream.

• Love 3
On 8/7/2019 at 10:15 PM, mtlchick said:

Tori's face.  Yikes.

Ian has not aged a damn day. 

I didn't HATE it.  But I think this could have been paced and plotted better.  (And they should have gone more meta and let Jason direct this episode.) I did like the mini shout outs to the egg, Color Me Badd and the dress but there were too many awkward pauses in between.

That all said...every tribute they did for Luke my heart broke for them as you can tell he was loved by all of them.  And the final shot of him...I cried.  It hurts that he's gone.  And in two months, he gets honored again on Riverdale.  

I hope this picks up the pace once Shannen and Christine enter the mix. Edit: but for a short term commitment, I’m all in. 

Tori’s plastic surgery is crazy! I thought she was broke? Those lips, ugh. You can tell they’ve all had work done but it wasn’t as obvious with the others . It’s not what i thought it was going to be and no even sure I’m continuing with it. Loved the old series :). 

8 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

was addicted to Teen (in elementary school, go figure!) The other Tiffany was blonde and didn't have a hyphen. This was BEFORE Saved by the Bell and I recognized her right away when that show began airing. TAT always had a memorable look about her.

I'm the one who brought it up but I feel like I could have written your paragraph! The other Tiffany was blonde and had a perm I think. I too knew exactly who TAT when I saw Saves by the Bell...

• Love 1
On 8/8/2019 at 7:06 PM, ButIAm said:

Oof. What do you think of the writing on the original show?

I’m curious, how do you know what Tori Spelling is doing in real life to acknowledge and fix whatever her problems are? Your post also seems to be taking her life choices awfully personal...

What HEATHERCHANDLER said a little further up.  Her life is a mess, and she avoids her court cases while her mom pays their bills.  No I am not taking her problems personally, I just have no respect for her.  I don’t find what she is doing on this show as funny because she has a real family, and she doesn’t take her real life problems seriously.  

5 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Tori owes several credit card companies and banks hundreds of thousands of dollars.  She continues to miss court dates, she doesn't seem to care or want to pay.  I think she hopes/expects that her mom will pay it all off for her, and maybe she will.. but in the meantime, one bank was able to collect some money from one of her checking or savings accounts, and it was reported that the money in that account wasn't hers, but Dean's son Jack's money that he had spent all summer earning.  

I have a love-hate thing for Tori, myself.  More hate but I still watch her shows, and read her books.

Thank you for this response.  Exactly how I feel.  

• Love 2

I liked it, but it’s a little hard to watch without Luke Perry. It’s almost too bittersweet. 

Still, I thought it was funny and enjoyable, and I like how they set up some storylines for the future. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Tori wasn't the only one.  I recall interviews with her father where he spoke about the prom in the first season where Donna wore the big hoop skirt she ended up stealing in Vegas in the reboot.  Aaron Spelling raved about how hilariously funny Tori was in every scene, how she stole the episode and how the writers were so amazed by her comedic talents that they insisted that Donna needed a bigger role on the show and lots more scenes.  It would appear delusions run in the family.  Tori isn't terrible at comedy, but she's not the second coming of Lucille Ball or anything close to it.

While I sometimes find Tori kinda charming in interviews, I remember that, while she was raised in unimaginable luxury, she is now a middle aged woman, her father has been gone for 13 years and she's got 5 kids to support.  I don't care how she was raised, it is time for her to accept responsibility for herself and it is not charming  to hear that she has once again been evicted from some huge mansion she couldn't afford or that yet another creditor has had to take her to court or that she expects her mother to pay for private schooling, clothing, and everything else her kids need because she refuses to do it herself.  And I find her constant excuse making on the subject to be annoying.  It is not her parents' fault that they earned a lot of money and gave her a fabulous childhood but refused to support her as an adult.  It is not her mother's fault that she likes to shop and has warehouses full of stuff.  Candy's got the money and she pays her bills, Tori doesn't have the money and expects her creditors to feel sorry for her and/or for her mother to clean up her messes.  Imagine if she'd taken just half of the money she's spent on plastic surgery over the years and invested it instead.  Tori is a selfish, immature deadbeat and I don't feel sorry for her.  I do feel sorry for her kids.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 13

I never saw a single episode of the original series, and I had no interest in this reboot either. I did know some of the actors because pop culture, but nothing more than that. I had the tv on while deciding what DVD to watch, and the rerun of this episode came on. I thought I'd watch for a few minutes (because pop culture!) and after a few minutes I totally forgot about the DVD movie. I watched until the end. I REALLY LIKED IT! Of course any references to the old show went way over my head -- if there were any -- although the Luke tribute at the end made me tear up, I just had a good time watching this episode cold. I'll be tuning in next week too.

Yeah, it totally surprised me. But I'm in.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 8

Yikes. I have never, and will never, get fans, 90210 or otherwise, that feel so passionately about the personal lives of actors and other celebs. I don’t know any of these people from Adam, Eve or Steve. I don’t give a damn what’s in their wallets, who’s in their beds, or how they like their eggs cooked. Tori Spelling is an actor. My interest in her begins and ends with her work. I would need to know her even causally to make commentary on her relationship with Candie, or anyone else. 

Moving on. I’m surprised to see Jennie called unrecognizable. She looks exactly like an older, more drawn in the face Kelly Taylor to me. 

Edited by ButIAm
  • Love 5

Just watching episode 1 and so far, I think it is a riot. It reminds me of one of my favorite movies, Galaxy Quest. Where the actors lived off their glory days as the show characters and make appearances in malls and comic con, etc.

So far, funny.

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, ButIAm said:

Yikes. I have never, and will never, get fans, 90210 or otherwise, that feel so passionately about the personal lives of actors and other celebs. I don’t know any of these people from Adam, Eve or Steve. I don’t give a damn what’s in their wallets, who’s in their beds, or how they like their eggs cooked. Tori Spelling is an actor. My interest in her begins and ends with her work. I would need to know her even causally to make commentary on her relationship with Candie, or anyone else. 

Moving on. I’m surprised to see Jennie called unrecognizable. She looks exactly like an older, more drawn in the face Kelly Taylor to me. 

Tori's entire body of work since May 2000 has almost exclusively involved her trainwreck personal life, so it shouldn't be surprising that people talk and feel some kinda way about it. 

Edited by WhoaWhoKnew
  • Love 17
7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I am DYING for them to do a storyline where Jennie decides to bribe a water polo coach $500,000 to designate her social media influencer daughter to go to NotUSC (I'm sure they'd have to make up a school) as a water polo player. It'd be a lovely little homage to the CW 90210.

They could call it CU!

1 hour ago, ButIAm said:

Yikes. I have never, and will never, get fans, 90210 or otherwise, that feel so passionately about the personal lives of actors and other celebs. I don’t know any of these people from Adam, Eve or Steve. I don’t give a damn what’s in their wallets, who’s in their beds, or how they like their eggs cooked. Tori Spelling is an actor. My interest in her begins and ends with her work. [snip]

Feel zero passion, just stating facts about her.  Like @WhoaWhoKnew said, her body of work is based on her personal life.  

• Love 9

Although I watched all of the original episodes as they aired, I don't recall it ever being close to one of my favorites. Also, unless I'm watching an absurd British comedy it's extremely rare for me find something funny enough to laugh out loud. I ended up enjoying this way more than I thought I would, to the point where I audibly and genuinely laughed three times. Definitely going to continue watching and am interested to see where it goes.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, doodlebug said:

While I sometimes find Tori kinda charming in interviews, I remember that, while she was raised in unimaginable luxury, she is now a middle aged woman, her father has been gone for 13 years and she's got 5 kids to support.  I don't care how she was raised, it is time for her to accept responsibility for herself and it is not charming  to hear that she has once again been evicted from some huge mansion she couldn't afford or that yet another creditor has had to take her to court or that she expects her mother to pay for private schooling, clothing, and everything else her kids need because she refuses to do it herself.  And I find her constant excuse making on the subject to be annoying.

It's because of all this that I was shocked the show had Steve lash out at Tori on the plane with the question "How could you grow up with every advantage in life and still struggle to support your kids? It’s mind-boggling to me!" and not have her come back with anything.

I really liked this episode and thought it had some genuinely funny, touching, and intense moments. Tori stealing the dress was a low point, but the scene on the plane afterward made up for it. I think 6 episodes seems about right. I hope they're all this good.

• Love 7