Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: The Reunion

• Start Topic

On 8/12/2019 at 7:01 PM, TeenMom69 said:

I really don't understand why Jenni would adopt such a degrading promiscuous persona. Not everyone gets the pseudo reality angle.

While I don't think the persona is as bad as that - I agree with others that it's more OGKelly, who was more popular than the later version of Kelly, and I suspect Jennie's having a lot more fun acting this material - there's also the larger point that everyone else is not protecting themselves either. This is a group effort, and for any one of them to be vain and precious about their own portrayal would poison things behind the scenes fast. (The others would especially side-eye such an effort from Jennie or Tori, since those two have the most creative control.) It's great to see how they've all pulled together instead - down to the opening credits, which are being done alphabetically as opposed to them fighting about who should get the premium slots.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, ButIAm said:

Because they’re still managing to give us shades of the characters even as “themselves”.

And Jennie’s ice queen snark is more true to classic era Kelly than the judgmental, pseudo angelic bore she became halfway into the run.

Agreed!! Jennie is "This place is never again!" Kelly and I'm here for it. 

• LOL 2
On 8/9/2019 at 12:37 AM, ButIAm said:

It won the time slot for the key demo, is the highest rated scripted network show for the whole summer and Fox’s highest rated off season show since 2016. I’m not sure anyone could’ve expected anything better.

I too am curious as to whether they can retain a good chunk of that.

I’m also really curious about it’s DVR and streaming performance. This concept is odd for network, but screams streaming.  I wonder if it’ll eventually become just that.

It'd also be a nod to the summer of 1991 when the original show got high ratings for running new episodes during the summer. That was when the originally really took off, if I recall correctly. 

On 8/9/2019 at 9:35 AM, TDT said:

Slightly off topic.. could anyone picture NBC doing something similar with Saved By The Bell..?

(good luck trying to get Dustin Diamond and Lark Voorhies to appear though lol)

On 8/9/2019 at 11:52 AM, Moxie Cat said:

Didn't Jimmy Fallon get TAT, Berkeley, Lopez, and Gosselaar together to do a SBTB skit on his show, a year or two ago? They might be able to corral the four of them. I'd rather see TAT show up on this, though. 

I'd want Tiffani Thiessen to appear here, and I'd like for some passing mention be made to SBTB as well - especially since 1. Tiffani played a "Kelly" and 2. the SBTB crew and the 90210 gang were around the same age, went to college around the same time, and were from southern California too. 

Edited by discoprincessthe2
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, discoprincessthe2 said:

the SBTB crew and the 90210 gang were around the same age, went to college around the same time, and were from southern California too. 

You're forgetting that Zach, Lisa, Screech, and Principal Belding all decided to leave Indiana for California in time for the 1989-1990 school year.

All seriousness aside, I do want TAT to show up. Same for Emma Caulfield and Lindsay Price.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 5
55 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

You're forgetting that Zach, Lisa, Screech, and Principal Belding all decided to leave Indiana for California in time for the 1989-1990 school year.

All seriousness aside, I do want TAT to show up. Same for Emma Caulfield and Lindsay Price.

You got me there! 😄

• LOL 1
On 8/11/2019 at 11:23 PM, ButIAm said:

Yeah, Gabby took a lot of hits even as Ian was literally balding before our eyes and Luke had railroad tracks running across this forehead.

Hell, even now, Tori and Jennie are getting flack for whatever “help” they got, but Ian’s work and obvious hair "help" are rarely mentioned.

https://zieringmedical.com/dr-craig-ziering/

Apparently this is Ian's cousin.... kind of explains a few things!

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3

I finally watched this first episode.  The cheese may stand alone but I loved it.

I knew that it was going to be more of a mockumentary thing and going in, those were the expectations I had.  As someone else mentioned, it reminds me of Tori's "So Notorious" from years back and I loved that too.   I get that it's fake so I'm perfectly fine with skewering their real lives and real life personalities.  

My heart broke seeing the clip with Luke at the end; still can't believe he's no longer with us.  I can't wait for Shannen to rejoin the rest of the group.  I'm sure they will really play that "I Hate Brenda"/"We Hate Shannen" card.  

I'm down for the entire season.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, psychoticstate said:

But of course, @GHScorpiosRule!   I should have known you'd be sitting by me on the bus!

Oh for sure! While I disagree witcha about some of what you stated, at least I won't be smirking or giving you "Bitchface" like a certain Her Twatty Speshialness did in a certain Christmas episode when sitting on the bus.😜

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:26 PM, scorpio1031 said:

YES!!!!  Good old days - Teen, Seventeen and Young Miss:)

It was Teen... I remember having that subscription.  The "Great Teen Model Search" and it was the first year they had a tie... a Tiffani and a Tiffany.  I think TAT is exactly my age, which I thought was so cool and also made me feel like a dork in comparison.  Again, this info is in my head but helping my son with his chemistry...

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:48 AM, krankydoodle said:

It's because of all this that I was shocked the show had Steve lash out at Tori on the plane with the question "How could you grow up with every advantage in life and still struggle to support your kids? It’s mind-boggling to me!" and not have her come back with anything.

I think that part of it is that someone like Tori isn't going to get a job at Trader Joe's like a normal person would.   I don't know what I'd do if I saw Tori trying to ring up my Cookie Butter. 

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:30 PM, nlkm9 said:

Tori’s plastic surgery is crazy! I thought she was broke? Those lips, ugh. You can tell they’ve all had work done but it wasn’t as obvious with the others . It’s not what i thought it was going to be and no even sure I’m continuing with it. Loved the old series :). 

I have friends who are normal people and they get botox and fillers.  I never have thought of it, partly because I hate needles, am cheap and luckily have a baby face.  But I think Jennie and Tori have had too much done.  I don't get why Tori looks so puffy though.  Maybe Jennie is too thin and that's affecting her? Hubs went to school with her- so they are exactly the same age. She looks older, IMO.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:55 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

OT: I never had a gap between my front teeth as a kid, but I sure do now.  

My lower teeth have shifted too (they didn't use that permanent wire bracing like they do now).  It's like each year they shift more.  But I've got two kids who need braces so I feel like my window has passed.  But if every time I posted on Instagram people made fun of me, I'd be upset.

• Love 1

On 8/14/2019 at 11:41 AM, discoprincessthe2 said:

It'd also be a nod to the summer of 1991 when the original show got high ratings for running new episodes during the summer. That was when the originally really took off, if I recall correctly. 

Yeah they promoted it as "The Summer of 90210".  FOX knew it had the show that was going to launch what was still at the time a D-List network into major network territory.

I finally caved and started watching, brought back the memories.  The opening credits are a great call-back to the original opening credits.  Pretty fun so far.

• Love 1

I watched a good chunk of the beginning, then caught the last five minutes. Tori Spelling had waaaay too much screen time for her hammy shit. “Eye-on” Ziering and BAG have had rather desultory careers, I could do with less of them too.  I also don’t get why these washed up actors would get bodyguards etc.

It’s a shame that Shannen only gets crumbs, she’s by far the most talented one.

• Love 1