Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: A Whole Different Ball Game

• Start Topic

Former MLB player Johnny Damon comes on board with a group of rowdy friends; Jack and Travis fail to respond to an alarm; questions arise about Anastasia's food; Jack takes Aesha on a date; Travis and Joao must rescue the anchor.

Airs July 29, 2019.

Of course the black water alarm is sounding, and Captain Sandie asked the boys to stop drinking beers and go find the engineer. Cut to Mr Good for Nothing smoking off the boat. Yes, a team player at his finest. 

• Love 21
(edited)

Jack and Potty Mouth make a cute couple. Maybe they can date for real when they graduate from middle school?

Spoiler

Aiesha shares that she was raped  

Oh damn! Now i feel bad for snarking on her. 

Edited by nytonc
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, dangwoodchucks said:

This season is boring and I don’t like any of them.

For some reason I heard that sentence in Jack’s voice. Ugh.

The accent is an ear worm. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Of course the black water alarm is sounding, and Captain Sandie asked the boys to stop drinking beers and go find the engineer. Cut to Mr Good for Nothing smoking off the boat. Yes, a team player at his finest. 

Noticed that to.  But I also noticed Travis was off the boat with him and seemed to manage avoid mopping.  Also thought it was odd that by the time Sandy was irritated enough to be running around herself that Joao was still parked at the table.

Hannah has learned the trick of managing Sandy.  Hug of support and don't leave the boat with the people on her shit list.

I'm feeling like Sandy is going to turn on Joao soon for not handling the problem that is Jack/Travis even though she brushed him off last week.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, langford peel said:

Man I really hope that Johnny Damon is not a douche but I am afraid that he is a whole bag full of douches.

So far he’s ok but his friend has that covered. Is that Moët?

• LOL 4
  • Love 14
2 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

Is that Moët?

He asked the same question when they first came on board. If they wanted a specific champagne then it should have been on their preference sheet. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
9 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

The only thing that June seems to do efficiently is read texts/emails on her phone. Her lack of answering her radio is driving Hannah nuts. It’s bad enough being the third stew, but rule #1 is don’t piss of the First Stew. 

June looks dead behind the eyes but you have to catch her between squints to notice b

• LOL 8
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

He asked the same question when they first came on board. If they wanted a specific champagne then it should have been on their preference sheet. 

Copy that.

He had something about local wines right?   But you know, all “Champagnes” come from the champagne region so...

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

That is horrible reading about Captain Lee’s sons death.  It was also sad to hear about Aesha’s Rape.

It sounded like Ben might be coming on board.

Edited by Emmeline
  • Love 10

Jack and Travis are taking dumb and lazy to new levels.  They might be fun at parties but are the last people you want for employees.  Date night was cute. 

An alarm is everybody's job.  I wanted Sandy to fire Jack's ass.  She's really mothering Joao.

June is the absolute stereotypical "airhead".  Hannah really isn't giving her a hard time yet she's so oppressed.  Answer your boss on the radio!

I like my filets rare, but those needed another minute on each side.  The guests seemed to like the food more than Hannah did.

At least the guests get ashore and out of the way while they fix the anchor.

• Love 10

The Moët guy was ridiculous.  Moet is fine, Veuve Clicquot, which was being served is much better.  He may have been intentionally trying to be a tool.

As a Sox fan, I love Johnny Damon; hence he better not disappoint me.

Sandy is such a walking double standard. If Hannah’s staff was f-ing up, she’d 100% hold Hannah accountable, but her little pet, Joao is given a cookie.

• LOL 2
  • Love 15
(edited)

Jack’s rape joke was disgusting! Whether or not he knew about Aesha’s past, rape is nothing to joke about. I’m still trying to figure out what Aesha sees in that fool. So the black water alarm is going off and Beavis and Butthead are in their cabin drinking and  ignoring it. Then Jack decides to go smoke a cigarette instead of locating the engineer like he was directed to by his boss. Now Captain Sandy sees what João was talking about. I see the old Hannah is coming back, with her immediate hate for June. I understand June seems lost in translation, but the least Hannah could do is try to teach her. If Johnny Damon gets bored he can always replace Beavis and Butthead as a deckhand,  at least the work would get done.

Edited by spunky
  • Love 19
29 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

An alarm is everybody's job.  I wanted Sandy to fire Jack's ass.  She's really mothering Joao.

I was so ready for her to fire Jack. João said earlier this season that she’s like his second mother and he’s grateful for her taking him under her wing. His face lit up like a kid on Christmas morning when he realized she allowed him to drive the boat off the dock. It was too cute.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

And the least June could do is answer her radio and keep her earpiece in. That doesn’t take much skill or teaching.

Aesha is very sweet, but that date between her and Jack with their dueling accents was making my ears bleed.

And while I do think that Anastasia is getting a little bit cocky, her not wanting the foreskin talk and guffawing around her as she was plating seemed pretty reasonable, imo. 

June seems to be the type of employee who needs a lot of hand holding, when she’s new to a job. She seems sweet, but appears to be “out to lunch” at all times.

• Love 13
11 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

My gosh, I can’t believe the guest had to help pull the jet ski onto the deck while Jack is loafing off.  That was unbelievable.  That guy has got to be fired!

I couldn’t figure out why João didn’t call Jack on his radio for help. Not that it would’ve really mattered since Jack would have either been MIA or made up some excuse. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, AttackTurtle said:

As a Sox fan, I love Johnny Damon; hence he better not disappoint me.

Damon already has disappointed this Sox fan the minute he put on those Yankee pinstripes. 😭 However, it was nice of him to help Collin pull in the jet ski. 😁

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

I’d never hire Jack. It’s absolutely frightening that he’s an engineer. He makes sloths appear more motivated, and productive. 

Travis appears to be a functioning alcoholic. I bet booze, and b.o. oozes from his pores.

It is highly unprofessional to tell your employees that you love them, and the proceed to hug, and kiss them.  Boundaries, Sandy. They are there for a reason. That said, I’ve always felt Sandy had the hots for Hannah, and Hannah knows this.

June seems daft, but I’m not sensing Rocky ‘crazy’ vibes just yet.

It looks like Ben will be coming back!

• Love 16
(edited)

Poor Colin.  He seems like such a sweet guy, but his luck with women sucks. Hopefully it's only like that while being filmed for this show, and not in his life at home.

Before tonight I would have struggled to say one nice thing about Jack. While his almost aggressive laziness still remains a constant, I was struck by how horrified he was when he felt the weight of what a rape joke does to a sexual assault survivor. It was nice just to see that he was capable of giving a crap about something. I hope he can internalize that feeling and get that there are some things that are just not okay to joke about.

I love Aesha and hate every thing about her voice. The accent, inflection, tone,,,,everything!

Edited by elsie
  • Love 21

I'm the kind of person who laughs at everything, but rape jokes are NEVER funny.  However, Jack truly did seem remorseful in his interview, his eyes were red as if he'd been crying.  I hope he remembers that moment and never does it again.

If Ben is coming back, does that make Ana the one Sandy calls redundant in the preview?  It would make more sense to make her the 3rd stew again and fire June who is less efficient.

I'm very sad about Captain Lee's son.  I keep thinking about how Ashton's accident made Lee tear up at the thought of telling a parent their son was gone.  And now his own child is :-(

• Love 13
27 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

If Ben is coming back, does that make Ana the one Sandy calls redundant in the preview?  It would make more sense to make her the 3rd stew again and fire June who is less efficient.

I thought it very convenient that when June joined the crew, Sandy shared that she had both stew and deck experience.

I think the original intent of June was to be a stew placeholder until Ben was free to return to the show (or they had found another way to create conflict among the stews...which Anastasia returning to be a stew after being demoted from Chef will likely do).

Then they had someone in place when Travis and Jack issues came to a head.  But then the variable of Colin getting hurt got thrown in. I think its most likely June, Colin, or Jack that get told they are redundant.

Travis would be more likely to get fired for being drunk but its hard to point to any other cast member who would be capable of being the lead deckhand that makes him redundant.

That scene of June retreating behind her invisible curtain of solitude while Joao is talking to her is giving me a vibe of Joao "managing" his team.

• Love 7
(edited)

As I recall (maybe incorrectly) Captain Lee never allowed his crew to drink while on-board even between charters?  I know they could definitely drink while on shore but I thought he absolutely prohibited his crew from alcohol while on the ship?  The no alcohol on-board policy seems pretty reasonable.  Even docked, alarms and emergencies can happen and the crew needs to be able to respond.  I know Rocky accused Kate of drinking wine out of a coffee cup while she was off duty and it was a big deal.  Captain Lee seems to have a much better command of his crew and while I used to appreciate Captain Sandy, the more I see, the clearer it becomes that while she may be able to captain a boat, she cannot manage a crew.

ETA:  I stand corrected!  I don't know why I thought Capt Lee didn't allow drinking on the boat....I'm old.

Edited by nr65000
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, nr65000 said:

As I recall (maybe incorrectly) Captain Lee never allowed his crew to drink while on-board even between charters?  I know they could definitely drink while on shore but I thought he absolutely prohibited his crew from alcohol while on the ship?  The no alcohol on-board policy seems pretty reasonable.  Even docked, alarms and emergencies can happen and the crew needs to be able to respond.  I know Rocky accused Kate of drinking wine out of a coffee cup while she was off duty and it was a big deal.  Captain Lee seems to have a much better command of his crew and while I used to appreciate Captain Sandy, the more I see, the clearer it becomes that while she may be able to captain a boat, she cannot manage a crew.

Below Deck crew drank on board between charters sometimes a lot.  Not in the day but at night after their work was finished. Do not think it would be a got idea to be tending to deck duties and chugging down beers. 

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, nr65000 said:

I think Captain Sandy assumed that her entire crew utilized common sense and would not drink while working.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, elsie said:

I love Aesha and hate every thing about her voice. The accent, inflection, tone,,,,everything!

With apologies... but... australian, new zealand, south africa accents are just  so unflattering coming from a woman. I dunno, maybe because it reeks of male energy or something imo, lol.  Plus it has that annoying uplift at the end of every phrase like they're asking a question.   ;-D

6 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I think the original intent of June was to be a stew placeholder until Ben was free to return to the show (or they had found another way to create conflict among the stews...which Anastasia returning to be a stew after being demoted from Chef will likely do).

Mia was a fraudulent cook, Anastasia (just so happens can cook) takes over, but then gets all full of herself til the probable pride before the fall routine and on cue, Ben swoops in.

Gee, if one didn't know any better, you'd think somebody wrote this.  

Edited by 100Proof
  • LOL 9
  • Love 6

Honestly, what will it take to get some of these people fired...Jack in particular.  I thought the black water issue would do it.  Why didn't anyone know where the engineer was?  It's a small boat.  I work on vessels.  Even when off duty, the leaders of the different departments keep their radios with them and at least on low unless their sleeping.  This whole bunch is bizarre.

J-Wow now trying to be the naughty boys buddy.  Won't work unless they know he means what he says, which he really doesn't.   

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I thought it very convenient that when June joined the crew, Sandy shared that she had both stew and deck experience.

I think the original intent of June was to be a stew placeholder until Ben was free to return to the show (or they had found another way to create conflict among the stews...which Anastasia returning to be a stew after being demoted from Chef will likely do)

EXACTLY what I said to my husband. I see June going to deck, Anastasia back to 3rd stew and Travis will get booted. He's got issues. 

Despite her dirty humor, I find Aesha to be a ray of sunshine as a human.  The way she treated June by taking her under her wing and consoling her was so gracious. She must be a good friend IRL. I wish she would not drink too much either. "Getting wasted" isn't that important. 

• Love 20
(edited)

I really hope they don’t fire Anastasia. People send steaks back all the time and she is absolutely right that it is better to send it out rare and then you can cook it more rather then sending it out over cooked because then you could just throw it away. 

Hannah is such a nasty bitch. Correct me if I am wrong but I don’t remember anyone serving dessert at lunch.

I just hate the idea that they are bringing in that overrated diva Ben. Yeech.

Edited by langford peel
  • Love 11

That baseball dude was a Supreme Douche, like the kind of Douche that comes with full guac, sour cream and the works.  A burrito supreme douche! My god, what an asshole he was, and his friends were just as douchey and low class as he was. I can't even give him a pass for helping with the jet ski because he just couldn't not do his moronic "look at my guns" bullshit right afterward. Does he really think this is helping his post-pro ball career?!?

June is a brain dead moron. How she manages the basics of getting dressed is beyond me. It's like she's medicated 24/7. And don't get me started on the constant weird selfies...

Travis and Jack need to go, they're idiots, who I sincerely hope have huge issues getting jobs after this show.

Anastasia isn't all that after all, is she? Those meals were not 5 star...girl, you're time done run out!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

I'm taking a guess here that the "your job is redundant now and I have to let you go." is a discussion had with June.  Because Hannah will never opt for June over Anastasia.  I guarantee you she'll go into Sandy and say she wants Ana instead.  Which works for me.  Because I am sick and tired of the lot of these idiots thinking it's SO TAXING whenever their BOSS asks them to do something.  Poor June, someone told her to get the fuck out of the kitchen and go do her job and she's offended by it.  Hannah might be a grade A bitch but she's got a lot more patience than I do.  Because after the second time asking that moron to put her GODDAMN RADIO in her ear I would've fired her.  And I love that she has the nerve to tell Hannah "No you didn't" when Hannah says she's been trying to get her on the radio.  WTF?  

Travis is a blowhard and immature.  Run away, Hannah.  Run away.  He's drinking on the job (I don't care if they were done.  There is no way I would ever drink in front of my boss) then cops an attitude about being asked to get off his ass and go find out why an alarm is going off.  These people get far too many chances.  I get it's a TV show but the fact that he, June and Jack still have jobs makes Sandy, Joao and Hannah look like morons who don't know how to manage.  My boss is not even slightly a jerk, however, if I ever walked away from him after he specifically told me to go do something and had a cigarette while waxing poetic about what's not my job, I'd be gone.  

Jack continues to get on my nerves but what else can be said about him?  He and Aesha are eyeroll worthy and the fact that she thinks his slight effort towards her is "soooooooo sweeeeeet" makes me gag.  

• Love 15
14 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

It is highly unprofessional to tell your employees that you love them, and the proceed to hug, and kiss them.  Boundaries, Sandy. They are there for a reason. That said, I’ve always felt Sandy had the hots for Hannah, and Hannah knows this.

It seems as though Sandy picks a favorite employee every season and tries to mother them.  In this case she has her two "boat babies" this season. The difference is Hannah has no issue letting Sandy know when she's annoyed by something she's done and clearly shows that she does not need any extra mothering. 

• Love 7

Given what we heard from the guests preference sheet I don’t know why Anastasia thought they would want basic simple meals. Nothing says local French cuisine like a chicken ceasar salad! 

Moët dude both it and Veuve have distinctive labeling so the need to ask illustrates you don’t know your shit so shut up.

• Love 15

Steak pomme frites is a french staple in most French restaurants that I have ever been in. At least that is what I always order.

Why didn’t the meatheads tell them that chicken was for poor people? That’s always a good look.

Johnny Damon was not on the Yankees long enough to learn how to act with class. Once a Red Sox always a Red Sox.

Because as we all know Boston Sucks!

• Love 6
(edited)

Not being into spectator sports meself, pretty sure most of those overpaid, sports celebrity divas are gonna be grade A douche nozzles unless proven otherwise. ;-D

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, langford peel said:

Hannah is such a nasty bitch. Correct me if I am wrong but I don’t remember anyone serving dessert at lunch.

Unsure why Hannah knowing the guests would be underwhelmed by a chicken caesar salad makes her a nasty bitch.  Even Anastasia remarked that it was the easiest lunch.  Definitely not five star or local fare.  

I wonder what Travis does to earn the ire of the crew?  I missed WWHL but the previews seemed to indicate drinking problem and possible confrontation with Colin. My guess is that he's the one fired.

Kept hearing "June June, Hannah" in my head all day. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, spunky said:

It seems as though Sandy picks a favorite employee every season and tries to mother them.  In this case she has her two "boat babies" this season. The difference is Hannah has no issue letting Sandy know when she's annoyed by something she's done and clearly shows that she does not need any extra mothering. 

I don't think Hannah is doing that  this season.  I don't think Sandy would respond well to it.  Hannah learned from last season and is doing an effective job of managing Sandy.  Hannah is basically taking the approach of making sure Sandy believes that Hannah respects her and has her back. 

Hannah is leveraging every opportunity where the Chef is failing or the deck is failing to take the issue to Sandy.  First its not her team's failure and second she is able to do some of the sucking up that goes over so well with Sandy by offering her team for the good of the boat or a hug because Sandy is deserving of support.  I think Sandy loves that Hannah keeps going to her for her opinion as long as its stuff like...does this taste bad and not stuff like how do I get me stew to learn to iron or turn down a bed.

I don't think Hannah has taken any of her complaints about her team to Sandy outside of being short handed because Anastasia had to take over as Chef. 

Its already becoming clear how she is going to spin the issues with June to Sandy. She is slow and can't do XYZ isn't going to fly.  Hannah tried that with Kasey last year.  The response she got was she's just a 3rd stew and Hannah was failing by not training her.   That's why Hannah has started rehearsing I don't care if she is slow or can't do XYX, I just want her to answer the radio this episode.  The radio is Sandy's pet peeve of the moment and Hannah will strike while the iron is hot on that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

I think Anastasia is confident, not arrogant. She’s female so of course, everyone thinks it’s arrogance. She’s going to start to “fail” now because the writers told her that’s how the story goes. 

Edited by newms
  • Love 7

I was on the fence about June until she said: “I dropped my life for them, they needed me.” B*tch, please you’re doing the job you were hired to do, not a favor for a friend. Continue collecting tips and selfies and try not to get your dumb @ss fired. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
2 minutes ago, esco1822 said:

I was on the fence about June until she said: “I dropped my life for them, they needed me.” B*tch, please you’re doing the job you were hired to do, not a favor for a friend. Continue collecting tips and selfies and try not to get your dumb @ss fired. 

Also, the woe is me about Anastasia saying there were too many people in the galley. She shushed the others before June even got there and the galley was packed and add in Jack and Aesha goofing off. Ben has been a lot more pissy in the galley than that.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, langford peel said:

Steak pomme frites is a french staple in most French restaurants that I have ever been in. At least that is what I always order.

Why didn’t the meatheads tell them that chicken was for poor people? That’s always a good look.

Johnny Damon was not on the Yankees long enough to learn how to act with class. Once a Red Sox always a Red Sox.

Because as we all know Boston Sucks!

I knew there was a reason I love your posts so much! Go Yanks!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2