Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: A Whole Different Ball Game

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, luvthepros said:

So glad Ben is coming back but.....I won't believe it until I see it.

Well he was heard and hideous jeans were seen in the season preview during this episode.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, langford peel said:

Just wait until pissy egomaniac Ben is in the galley. He specializes in making stews cry when he is not hitting on them inappropriately. He will make over complicated faux gourmet food while acting like a diva.

I hate the fact that they brought him back. I don’t think it is about the food. It’s about the drama. If you were to fire somebody only Aesha and Colin deserve it less. She is doing the job. Not perfectly but compare it to Jack or Travis or even Joao or Hannah. She stepped up and did a great job.

Who the hell needs Ben? Again! 

I love Ben’s diva attitude. Unlike little miss “Tell me how good I am”, he’s a trained chef who cooks amazing food. Plus I can’t wait for him to curse the life out of Jack’s lazy behind when he’s standing in the galley doing absolutely nothing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

I don’t think his food is all that amazing to tell you the truth. He is very overrated and we will see it the rest of the season.

I thought Adrian for example was far superior.

Also I think Anastasia is a much better baker. I wonder if will have to bake a birthday cake and bitch and moan as usual.

Edited by langford peel
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Well he was heard and hideous jeans were seen in the season preview during this episode.

I miss so much when I watch this show. I'll bet I would still not catch everything if I watched the shows twice. I come here to find out what I missed.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

They had an awkward flirtation that he ultimately stopped and she got embarrassed by not a fling. But even if they had hooked up he and Kate were fine and they did have an actual off camera fling.

Was that the time when Hannah was giving Ben every overt signal possible that she was into him and he decided he'd have more fun with Tiffany.

Who Hannah then slut shamed by making nasty comments about Tiffany?

• Love 5

It’s hard to remember what subordinate Ben was sexually harassing in what season.

It all blends together like his over complicated meals with the unnecessary frills.

Like Hannah we have seen his act too many times. We need some fresh blood.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, dosodog said:

Was that the time when Hannah was giving Ben every overt signal possible that she was into him and he decided he'd have more fun with Tiffany.

Yes, that’s the one

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dosodog said:

That would be the exact time. Plus Hannah drunkenly ran to Roid Rage Gomer Pyle (Bobby) and made out with him in order to soothe the savage burn to her ego.

At the end of the season, Jen told Rapey Bryan that Tiffany and Ben had sex. Frankly, Ben and Tiffany's hook up was far less gross than Bryan trying to hook up with Tiffany. Ben was the chef. Bryan was the first mate. Bryan tried to drunkenly pressure Tiffany into sex and then berated her and called her a disgusting whore and a bitch when she didn't take him up on his generous offer.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

at would be the exact time. Plus Hannah drunkenly ran to Roid Rage Gomer Pyle (Bobby) and made out with him in orde

Yeah Hannah is messy as fuck and her trying to get some distance from Travis is probably behind why we see her weird Joao scenes. She isn’t great by any means but that also doesn’t mean she was/is wrong about her assessment of her interior staff’s performance. 

I don’t know if it’s because of the constant changing dynamics based on a live ship with varying guests or the personalities of the cast on both version but  makes it easy for me to situationally like and hate most of the cast on both of these franchises.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7
On 7/29/2019 at 10:42 PM, tranquilidade said:

Pssssssst, I like June.  I also think Hannah gets too much pleasure out of  the failure of others. 

I do, too. And after watching her on WWHL, I like her even more. Yeah, she comes across like her head is in the clouds most of the time, but I don’t care for how critical Hannah can be at times. Even third stews need a little training and Hannah’s approach when she doesn’t like you or doesn’t feel you’re up to par can be harsh and overly critical. We see that every season. She just never seems genuinely happy.

June should keep the radio on and her earpiece in, no doubt, and it seems she learned her lesson on that based on her comments on WWHL.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, trimthatfat said:

Even third stews need a little training and Hannah’s approach when she doesn’t like you or doesn’t feel you’re up to par can be harsh and overly critical. We see that every season. She just never seems genuinely happy.

Hannah’s main criticism of June seems to be that she doesn’t keep her earpiece in and doesn’t no how to read a turn down sheet and Than say she said that everything in Hannah’s was self explanatory even though the first item was turning down the beds and she again acknowledged that she didn’t do it.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, dosodog said:

Actually the person who needs to be slut shamed is Ben. Every season he finds someone in a subordinate capacity to molest.

Who is he going to sleaze on in this crew?

• Love 2
23 hours ago, langford peel said:

You know Anastasia is exactly the type of young vulnerable person that Ben would sexually harass as he did with the rodent. Maybe it would be better if she left the show.

1 hour ago, langford peel said:

Actually the person who needs to be slut shamed is Ben. Every season he finds someone in a subordinate capacity to molest.

13 hours ago, langford peel said:

It’s hard to remember what subordinate Ben was sexually harassing in what season.

It all blends together like his over complicated meals with the unnecessary frills.

Like Hannah we have seen his act too many times. We need some fresh blood.

I watched all the BD seasons and have never witnessed Ben sexually assaulting or molesting anyone.  He's had a consensual relationship with Emily and consensual flings with Tiffany & Kate (off camera).  None were subordinates, chef is team of one.   

You may not care for Ben or his food, but terms like assault & molestation shouldn't be tossed about lightly. 

I, for one, am excited to see him come back.  

Edited by snarts
  • Love 18

Ben is a sleazy operator who picks out a subordinate for his sexual needs every season. Except for Kate of course and that was off camera? He picks out a lower ranking stew to handle his needs. I thought that was text book sexual harassment. The only out he has is that they are not directly in his chain of command.  

I know that this is a reality show but he is a little much. Who is he going to hit on this season?  Is he going to compete with Jack-off for Aesha? Is he going to sleaze on Anastasia? We know he loathes Hannah but will he see June as a target of opportunity? 

Why couldn’t the find a different Chef?

This guy is bad news. Even worse he is old news.

Edited by langford peel
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, langford peel said:

en is a sleazy operator who picks out a subordinate for his sexual needs every season. E

The chef on this show is a department of one he has no subordinates.

• Love 7

I know but as a chief of a department technically they are all lower ranking as is pointed out all the time by Hannah. If he had a relationship with a direct subordinate I think he would have been in trouble with HR.

I think his behavior with the rodent was harassment even though they seemed to end up in a half ass relationship.

With Anastasia it is all about the food not the sex. Why can’t we stick with that?

18 hours ago, langford peel said:

I don’t think his food is all that amazing to tell you the truth. He is very overrated and we will see it the rest of the season.

I thought Adrian for example was far superior.

Also I think Anastasia is a much better baker. I wonder if will have to bake a birthday cake and bitch and moan as usual.

But you also seem to think steak frites is the epitome of French Mediterranean cuisine. So mileage may vary.   

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

But you also seem to think steak frites is the epitome of French Mediterranean cuisine. So mileage may vary.   

and isn't steak frites really a dish more known as being associated with Belgium? I know it's served in France as well.

2 hours ago, snarts said:

I watched all the BD seasons and have never witnessed Ben sexually assaulting or molesting anyone.  He's had a consensual relationship with Emily and consensual flings with Tiffany & Kate (off camera).  None were subordinates, chef is team of one.   

You may not care for Ben or his food, but terms like assault & molestation shouldn't be tossed about lightly. 

I, for one, am excited to see him come back.  

WOW.....were you in my brain? That is EXACTLY what I was going to say. From what I saw, Ben was a gentleman with Emily. I didn't see his other flings but I doubt he assaulted or molested anyone.

Like it or not.....Ben is popular. He is great TV.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 10

I just know that’s what I order in a French restaurant. But then I am a populist not an elitist. Other people will know better than me.

I guess good food prepared tastily with a superb cake as dessert is not good enough.

Bring on the oysters with the Grenadine.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, langford peel said:

Ben is a sleazy operator who picks out a subordinate for his sexual needs every season. Except for Kate of course and that was off camera? He picks out a lower ranking stew to handle his needs. I thought that was text book sexual harassment. The only out he has is that they are not directly in his chain of command.  

First, I'll say that my comments are not about the real world. They are based on the Below Deck environment established on both shows.

So anyone with a high rank can't date/hook up with anyone with a low rank? Should Joao, Hannah and Ben only be able to date each other? If Aesha were lead deck hand, would we be freaking out the she was sexually harassing Jack? 

I'm all for people expressing their hate for Ben if they want to, but I just don't understand how Ben is committing sexual harassment.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, langford peel said:

He had consensual relationships with adult women. None of them were minors and none of them felt uncomfortable. The words molest and  sexual assault are heavy words, which should not be used lightly just because you don’t like someone or their cooking. 

• Love 18
4 hours ago, dleighg said:

and isn't steak frites really a dish more known as being associated with Belgium? I know it's served in France as well.

Yes, it is a Belgian dish that is often on the menu in cafes and brasseries.  It's an easy meat and potatoes dish and people love meat and potatoes.

6 hours ago, langford peel said:

I know but as a chief of a department technically they are all lower ranking as is pointed out all the time by Hannah. If he had a relationship with a direct subordinate I think he would have been in trouble with HR.

I think his behavior with the rodent was harassment even though they seemed to end up in a half ass relationship.

Here's the thing, we see so many more egregious examples of sexual impropriety and screwed up power differentials that I'm not inclined to go through every moment with Ben and his paramours to see if he is using his rank and power to sleep with these women. Because to me, they all seem pretty consensual and ok. The biggest issue I had with his relationship with Emily is that he used his position to fuck with Kate like when he got Emily that massive flower arrangement and stored it in the fridge, which literally made jobs harder because they kept having to remove the flowers if they needed limes for drinks.

We've seen Bryan, the first mate, try to pressure Tiffany into sex and then talk about her terribly afterwards. We've twice had guests try to corner and sexually assault stews (Kat and Jenderella). Almost everything that went down around Malia was super fucked up starting from Bobby kicking in a bathroom door on Hannah because Malia joked that they were making fun of him. Then there is Adrian constant stream of sexually inappropriate comments to Laura. These are way more problematic than Ben's flirting and hook ups.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

June acts like she just woke up from a coma. I didn’t see her on WWHL so maybe she’s recovered some at that point

On WWHL she still seemed out of it but was definitely more lively than when she was on the boat. She said she’s just naturally zen, which is why she comes across as high all the time. That’s her story and she’s sticking to it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 7/31/2019 at 6:13 PM, langford peel said:

I could get behind Adrian’a food because he seemed creative. Adam seemed very pedestrian at best and when he put the onions in the food out of spite he lost me forever. Ben is overrated and a pissy diva who was important for his hookups and not his meals. He went after Kate and messed around with Hannah and then had that romance with the rodent or bunny or whatever the hell she was. He is overexposed and I dread his appearance on this show. 

Is Call Me Captain Sandy really going to fire Anastasia when she stepped up to take one for the team? If she was really so inadequate then Sandy should have replaced her immediately. She waited too long and it is just unfair to demote her now. Why not work with her to improve her menus choices and meal plans? She has shown she can really cook and just needs direction. Her cakes alone are reason enough not to make a change. In fact that was her big mistake. If she just made a fresh cake at every meal nobody would say jack.

I love cake. Everybody loves cake.

Ben and Hannah never hooked up. 

On 8/1/2019 at 11:55 AM, langford peel said:

Just wait until pissy egomaniac Ben is in the galley. He specializes in making stews cry when he is not hitting on them inappropriately. He will make over complicated faux gourmet food while acting like a diva.

I hate the fact that they brought him back. I don’t think it is about the food. It’s about the drama. If you were to fire somebody only Aesha and Colin deserve it less. She is doing the job. Not perfectly but compare it to Jack or Travis or even Joao or Hannah. She stepped up and did a great job.

Who the hell needs Ben? Again! 

I love Ben and kept hoping they’d bring him back on as chef. I highly doubt that’s the case, though, based on things I’ve read. Hope I’m wrong though. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Jsage said:

I'm all for people expressing their hate for Ben if they want to, but I just don't understand how Ben is committing sexual harassment.

That term is over abused these days. Back in the old days (actually before my time) it was called "wooing". Then there was "flirting and dating". These days, I'm not sure anyone will ever hook up for fear of being charged with "sexual harassment". It is getting out of hand with all this politically correct bullshit.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

..........when he (namely Ben) got Emily that massive flower arrangement and stored it in the fridge,.....

Oh, I remember that well. That is sexual harassment right there. NOT!!!!

Ben treated Emily like a queen. She gladly accepted his advances and flirtations. That is what makes the world go 'round. For crying out loud,

LANGFORD PEEL......I find your referring to Emily as "the rodent" is so disrespectful and hateful. Lay off.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, luvthepros said:

That term is over abused these days. Back in the old days (actually before my time) it was called "wooing". Then there was "flirting and dating". These days, I'm not sure anyone will ever hook up for fear of being charged with "sexual harassment". It is getting out of hand with all this politically correct bullshit.

People complaining about political correctness is usually a big ol’ red flag for those that prefer an antiquated version of human interaction and dislike that it’s become too darn complicated to treat people like garbage.

”Wooing” and ”flirting and dating” isn’t sexual harassment and no one but a single, reactionary poster was equating the two. Relationships and hookups are  doing just fine out here, only the schmucks who are confused about consent and rejection are having issues, I guess. 

Edited by VagueDisclaimer
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

People complaining about political correctness is usually a big ol’ red flag for those that prefer an antiquated version of human interaction and dislike that it’s become too darn complicated to treat people like garbage.Very t

”Wooing” and ”flirting and dating” isn’t sexual harassment and no one but a single, reactionary poster was equating the two. Relationships and hookups are  doing just fine out here, only the schmucks who are confused about consent and rejection are having issues, I guess. 

Very true....I do prefer the antiquated version of human interaction. At least men were able to flirt with a woman in the work place and not feel as though his job would be at risk.

3 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

At least men were able to flirt with a woman in the work place and not feel as though his job would be at risk.

No supervisor of mine felt it was his right to "flirt with me," either today, or 35 years ago when I left college. That has never been ok. I hope you're not saying it was, or is. Peers is a whole 'nother thing, and always has been. 

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, dleighg said:

No supervisor of mine felt it was his right to "flirt with me," either today, or 35 years ago when I left college. That has never been ok. I hope you're not saying it was, or is. Peers is a whole 'nother thing, and always has been. 

I said "men", not supervisors.

I'm pretty sure that was Ben in the preview.  I don't mind him, he was interesting and it tickled me that he didn't hook up wih Hannah.  He who hooked up with EVERYONE was like ummm no you crazy.

I liked him with Emily.  Weren't they together for a while?  He was different with her, more respectful.  

I don't know if she looked like a rodent.  More like a rabbit, but a very cute curly blonde rabbit.

• Love 2

Don't think I'd equate what this 'cast' does on a 'reality' show with that of the real reality of the business/corporate world. 

Is the chef on this show anyone's boss really? Is the bosun? Is head stew? Is even the captain? So it'd all boil down to whether or not someone's receiving unwanted sexual attention or its a consensual thing. These are characters on a tv show. They're all 'equal' afaic.

Although, guest cast hitting on the serving cast is kinda creepy, lol

Edited by 100Proof
  • Love 1
On 7/31/2019 at 11:21 AM, dsteele said:

I don't think it's Aesha's accent so much. I've heard plenty of Kiwis and Aussies with pleasant voices. It's the timbre of her voice that makes me want to plunge an ice pick into my eardrums. There's that screechy thing she does where she goes "Awwwwwwwwwwww" and it rises about 8 octaves until my living room window shatters. And she does it All. The. Time.

And there are other inflections. Not so much words/accents but just annoying vocal tics and a sing-songy cadence to everything she says. Nails on a chalkboard might be sweet relief in comparison.

If you want to be tortured, the Watch What Crappens podcast always impersonate Aesha with the longest sequences.  They'll also riff off against each other.  It'll go on for 30 seconds or more.  They make her sound like the Swedish Chef on helium.  Hilarious!  

The first one this season I watched was E08 and it was great.  They also made a song/rap for "June, June, Hannah"

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Very true....I do prefer the antiquated version of human interaction. At least men were able to flirt with a woman in the work place and not feel as though his job would be at risk.

Yes because if there is an appropriate place to flirt...it's at work.

WTF is happening in this thread?  

• Love 11
17 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

I'm pretty sure that was Ben in the preview.  I don't mind him, he was interesting and it tickled me that he didn't hook up wih Hannah.  He who hooked up with EVERYONE was like ummm no you crazy.

I liked him with Emily.  Weren't they together for a while?  He was different with her, more respectful.  

I don't know if she looked like a rodent.  More like a rabbit, but a very cute curly blonde rabbit.

Bleh, #Bemily was unpleasant, read like a showmance, down to Kate’s hyper involvement. 

Ben’s been absent for a bit, I’m curious how he’ll be, how he’ll interact with the crew, especially Capt Sandy(IIRC, Ben’s last season on BD ended with some negativity between him and Capt Lee). 

• Love 2

Ugh...I just can't with these boring, entitled nitwits. To me, the premise isn't very interesting--it's a gaggle of zoo-apes hired to scrub toilets, make beds, and swab the deck. That's boring and lame enough, but also, they're all so dull and uninteresting. I'm kind of glad when it's on because it motivates me to turn off the tv and go out and enjoy summer! Thanks, Below Deck!

On 7/31/2019 at 2:14 PM, biakbiak said:

To be fair in her own words Joan couldn’t make the leap that getting the cutlery ready for the picnic didn’t end with just leaving it on the table in a ziplock bag and not packing it in the bags that were going to shore and that’s the lack of common sense you wouldn’t think you would have to explain to an adult. 

Hannah also provided a sheet for turndown service and Joan said both it was self explanatory but than hadn’t done it so she isn’t leaping to conclusions based on no evidence.

To be honest I'm still curious about that. There's a part of me that is wondering if she was in deed responsible for packing the bags or just prepping the materials. At first I got the vibe that she was in charge of gathering what they needed and wrapping, bagging things up but that Aesha was responsible for packing the items. To me it seemed like a good way to double check everything was packed. When you gather items and baggie them, pull things from different areas that in itself is messy on the brain so it would make sense that June was responsible for gathering and then Aesha to mark things off a checklist as she packed for the picnic.

Not saying that was actually the system in place but I honestly thought that was what was supposed to happen when watching it go down. Especially when June said "I don't know, she (they?) packed everything". It really sounded like she had nothing to do with actually packing anything, just gathering so why would she think to put that one item in any bags when she wasn't the one doing the packing.

I wish they would clarify what they all decided would be who's responsibility. Also, if they all had a hand in prepping and packing all willy nilly then leaving one item behind isn't all that surprising since it doesn't seem like they had a good system to begin with, Looking at you Hannah... 

5 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

To be honest I'm still curious about that. There's a part of me that is wondering if she was in deed responsible for packing the bags or just prepping the materials. At first I got the vibe that she was in charge of gathering what they needed and wrapping, bagging things up but that Aesha was responsible for packing the items. To me it seemed like a good way to double check everything was packed. When you gather items and baggie them, pull things from different areas that in itself is messy on the brain so it would make sense that June was responsible for gathering and then Aesha to mark things off a checklist as she packed for the picnic.

It was sitting exactly where she packed it and didn’t put the other items of cutlery that she got it from back. There were no other items for the picnic on the crew mess table when she packed it and nothing else were left. It would make absolutely no sense that Aesha would have to go behind her around the ship to various areas and pick up various items. June has demonstrated in her very short time on the boat that she lacks even a modicum of common sense.

Also, unlike June who immediately refused to take any responsibility when Aesha was talking about it with Hannah after the fact she said that she would make sure she triple checked June’s work. This should not be required when the job is literally packing utensils for a picnic. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It was sitting exactly where she packed it and didn’t put the other items of cutlery that she got it from back. There were no other items for the picnic on the crew mess table when she packed it and nothing else were left. It would make absolutely no sense that Aesha would have to go behind her around the ship to various areas and pick up various items. June has demonstrated in her very short time on the boat that she lacks even a modicum of common sense.

I thought I saw other items for the picnic on that table?

But like I said if everyone was gathering things piece by piece and throwing stuff in bags then it's no surprise that something was left behind.

Not for nothing but this sort of goes to Junes comments regarding Hannah's lack of direction. Look, some people need shit spelled out for them. June made mention of that in her talking head. It's OBVIOUS that she needs direction so what's the prob? She's a subordinate in need of instruction. True leaders don't balk at that they just get it done, not whine about it. 

You expect that from the lower ranking employee. A bit of resistance is accepting blame because they are already feeling insecure about their performance so some people's reflex is to explain (make excuses) with "what had happened was". It takes a bit of experience and maturity to be able to receive criticizim without automatically wanting to say something in defense. I used to do it just because I was embarrassed of the mistake so instead I'd try to smooth it over with some awkward explanation or comment like "oh, yeah I know I was just about to...." It was more of a nervous reaction to screwing up. You sort of want to cover it up but it's a really silly move that wins you no points.

I think that's what June is doing. The earpiece and the radio however, are stupid problems she's getting herself into. That is easy enough to correct and that I do find annoying.  

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

Not for nothing but this sort of goes to Junes comments regarding Hannah's lack of direction. Look, some people need shit spelled out for them

But Hannah literally spelled shit out for June on a laminated turn down service sheet and June still didn’t get it despite saying at the same time that the sheet was self explanatory. 

There is nothing else for the picnic on the crew mess table when June is gathering the cutlery and Aesha is doing laundry. I don’t buy any competent individual gathering it and just leaving it there and not putting it with all the other supplies or putting away the boxes the cutlery came from she is just really shit at the job and this is not her first job as stew or on a boat so the amount of hand holding she apparently requires is too much for an adult human being.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5