Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E11/12: This One is For One Million Dollars

Message added by Whimsy

It has been repeatedly stated that there is not to be rehashing of past seasons in the episode threads. There is a pinned mod note at the top of the page for TAR and there have been several mod notes. Posts have been removed and warnings have been issued. Keep this thread on topic

• Start Topic

With the $1 million on the line, the final 4 teams Race through London, where they take a helicopter ride to Dover Castle.

Original airdate 6/26/19

The finale is listed as two episodes.  This thread is for BOTH HOURS of the show.  Do not come here if you haven't seen the 2nd hour with the winners. 

• Love 1

Heh at the slow clap and eye-roll from whatever her name is (in the pink shirt) when the Afghanimals crossed the line.

I was skeptical about this season, but it turned out very nicely indeed.  Hooray again C&C!

• Love 16

Very happy with the C+C (Racing Factory!) win.  I always thought Colin was one of the best racers ever to not win (the Roadblock imbalance of the time makes it a bit harder to say that of Christie of season 5.)  They've always worked well under pressure, but I thought Christie's "take a breath" moment and them just going silent for a moment in order to regroup was great timing and editing. 

Which also means that Leo and Jamal ran all those legs, no 1M prize but with the prizes they picked up along the way, minus taxes, still make them legends in their own right.

Tyler and Korey...2 season later and I still can't warm up to them.  

Good season, y'all.  See you next time!

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

Colin and Christine won!  Colin and Christine won!  Leo and Jamal lost!  Thank you, God!

Really, I wanted Tyler and Korey to win, BUT LEO AND JAMAL LOST!  Yay!  Oh, the catty looks Rachel and Elissa gave them were delicious!

• Love 16
(edited)

An exciting finale and a satisfying season. Good for C&C. 

I did not think anyone would be able to do that London cab task.  

Somewhere Chip & Kim are jumping up and down and screaming with joy. 

Edited by Archery
  • Love 5

I thought these last two legs were really good, up until the final challenge.  I am always disappointed in final challenges that aren't memory challenges.  I would have rather had the drum set task replace the fowling, and then finish with a memory challenge.

I was really happy with the final three being an all TAR finale.  I would have been happy with any of the teams winning.

I enjoyed this season more than I expected.  I was really hesitant to watch with the BB and Survivor teams.  I was so hoping for Rachel & Elissa to go in the first few episodes.  (Rachel is fingernails on a blackboard to me, always has been since her first TAR appearance.)  I do wish Becca & Floyd made it into the final 3. 

• Love 16

Who would have thought that I would cheer for C&C to win. I mean any of the final 3 were okay with me, but I'm impressed with C&C. They truly are TAR's super racer teams.

They should have done a memory challenge with the clues on the drums (real and fake ones) and they have to solve it with all that noise as a distraction. That would have been a real TAR mental challenge.

Once again the curse of the if you win the second last leg you won't win the final leg continues on.

• Love 5
(edited)

I can't deal with Tyler and the Afghanimals is a team that i didn't care to see the second time, let alone the third time.... So happy for Colin and Christie, who, IMO, is the best team to ever run this race.

Edited by argrow
  • Love 7
Just now, redfish said:

They should have done a memory challenge with the clues on the drums (real and fake ones) and they have to solve it with all that noise as a distraction. That would have been a real TAR mental challenge.

Yes!  That is exactly what I was thinking!  They could have easily incorporated elements from the legs into drum parts, had a few red herrings thrown in.  At least it was better than counting poker chips. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I think pink shirt was Elissa. Not a bad sport, nah?

Anyhow, this was an amazing season with a legendary redemption arc for one of TAR’s legendary teams.

Have to acknowledge that the Detroit Free Press got the spoilers almost 100 percent on the day the finale was filmed, except possibly for Leo/Jamal’s getting to Hart Plaza. But spoilers never tell the why of it, so this season was surprising right to the end. When I saw/read/heard that Colin and Christie were at the start line I saw this would be a redemption arc, and I expected them to win. But even I didn’t expect how emotional this season was going to be.

And it’s hard to believe C&C’s skill set improved this time around. Yes, Christie wasn’t great in all her Roadblocks, but she managed, so that deserves kudos.

Edited by theschnauzers
  • Love 7

Looks like Colin & Christie needed at least ten nations to hold them back.

Great finale, and not just because we had an all-TAR alumni finale. I mean, that helped a lot.  I know, seems snobbish, but I always feel TAR is always up against the world . . . figuratively and literally. A second Big Brother team winning would not have been good, even if Rachel Reilly wasn't involved. And Ramber remains the best Survivor team to ever race, which I'm good with.

Also fitting that each team bumped up a notch from their respective prior seasons. Leo's self-destruction was painful to watch, but at least they had a chance to win. At least they have the record for most legs run.

Colin & Christie's win was great to watch, even as the tension started leaking out of their ears. Watching Christie try to deal in the car was like seeing her freak in TAR5. "Must drive faster! Because they Yielded us!!!!" But they hung tough. I'm proud of them.

7 minutes ago, Archery said:

Somewhere Chip & Kim are jumping up and down and screaming with joy. 

Remember the end of TAR11, where Eric got the call from Jeremy after he and Danielle got their undeserved win? I was hoping to hear from Chip & Kim. Or Charla & Mirna. Or any other TAR5 team.

8 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Yay Colin and Christie!! ***does the Myposian Dance of Joy***

Perfect Strangers. That's a deep cut. 👍

• Love 13
(edited)

I have no idea why I am so invested in other people winning money I’ll never see, but I have adored Colin for what, 15 years? and I am so glad they won.  

Eliza and Corinne, shut your stupid faces.  Harpies.

Any outtakes of Colin rowing shirtless?  No?

I want to play fowling.  That looks so fun and it makes me laugh what people can come up while drinking.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15
10 minutes ago, TheRabbi said:

As a drummer for many years, I'm confident that I could have rocked that last challenge in less than 10 minutes....of course I would have needed 11 non-elimination legs to get there. Solid season.

As a drummer for many years that could have rocked that challenge in less than 10 minutes at home, you would have had a mental break on The Race because that is what happens to people who have experience with something when they Race.

I would have tripped over my own feet during leg one, so I'm not throwing shade or anything.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Christina said:

As a drummer for many years that could have rocked that challenge in less than 10 minutes at home, you would have had a mental break on The Race because that is what happens to people who have experience with something when they Race.

I would have tripped over my own feet during leg one, so I'm not throwing shade or anything.

Fair enough. I'd be curious to see how Floyd of Team Fun would have done, since he said he was a drum major. The hardest part would likely be the constant noise from the band, which admittedly would make it hard for me to focus. 

Colin and Christie's problem was they hadn't turned their snare 'on'. All snares have some sort of lever like the one shown that gives the snare it's signature sound, as opposed to the hollow sound of it being off.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
(edited)

I didn't care who won once the horrible sisters were gone.  And ... I couldn't bring myself to care who actually won since.  Maybe I need a villain team to root against.

Um, I don't think drum majors have anything to do with drum sets, TheRabbi.  Very different skill sets.

Edited by EllenB
  • Love 4
(edited)

As a former rower, I loved the rowing and was impressed any team got close - Colin rocked that. 

So happy Colin and Christie won and who would have ever thought we’d hear the White Stripes on TAR? Loved making the records, fowling and that rappelling and bank vault challenge. Wow.

Edited by ML89
  • Love 12
(edited)
30 minutes ago, theschnauzers said:

Have to acknowledge that the Detroit Free Press got the spoilers almost 100 percent on the day the finale was filmed, except possibly for Leo/Jamal’s getting to Hart Plaza.

Thank God I don't look at spoilers for TAR.  It would have ruined the whole race for me.  I did spoilers for maybe two years around the times of like TAR9 or TAR10 maybe.  Wouldn't go back to that ever again.  But to each their own.

17 minutes ago, Pepper the Cat said:

I wish Amazing Race would do an After the Anazing Race like the Amazing Race Canada does, because I think it would have been very interesting to see the Survivor vs Big Brother vs Amazing Race vibe.

Well there is a really great, in depth interview from last week that was linked in Coin & Christie's thread by bunnyface here.  The thing that Colin said at the end of the Race here about proving what he had been doing these last years was real taking it into the pressure of the Race is explained more as well as their long, and hard fought journey of change, growth and redemption. 

I recommend this article 100%. A great way to decompress and get perceptive on our winners as real people fighting a real fight.  One of the most raw and honest ones too.  No Hollywood spin here.  But the fight was worth it.  After all what are we all here for but to change, grow and find redemption however we define it.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/06/19/amazing-race-31-colin-christie/

Edited by green
  • Love 8

I'm so happy for Colin/Christie. I was really rooting for them all season so I'm happy they pulled out the win. It was so great to see their partnership over the season. 

I would not have been disappointed if Tyler/Korey won either.

Not a bad finale at all. I felt a bit bad for Leo/Jamal but they really fell behind.

I'm a bit disappointed in Nicole/Victor and would have rather they replaced the Afghanimals in the final three, but I'm proud of what they accomplished, and they took their loss in stride, even though they were upset at their loss.

• Love 11

I really did like this season, and I will miss it.   I am glad Colin and Christie won.  I would have been okay if Corey and Tyler had won, but I did slightly prefer Colin and Christie for the win.  Both teams were consistently good at the race.   The Afghanimals are an okay team, but they really disappointed me with their performance this season ( maybe someone was pining away for Pablo the cat) and it messed up the ability to concentrate. 

See you next time, if there is a next time (and I understand there will be another season)

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, green said:

Thank God I don't look at spoilers for TAR.  It would have ruined the whole race for me.

Well there is a really great, in depth interview from last week that was linked in Coin & Christie's thread by bunnyface here.  The thing that Colin said at the end of the Race here about proving what he had been doing these last years was real taking it into the pressure of the Race is explained more as well as their long, and hard fought journey of change, growth and redemption. 

I recommend this article 100%. A great way to decompress and get perceptive on our winners as real people fighting a real fight.  One of the most raw and honest ones too.  No Hollywood spin here.  But the fight was worth it.  After all what are we all here for but to change, grow and find redemption however we define it.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/06/19/amazing-race-31-colin-christie/

That was a great article in EW. Colin posted his own comments on both his and Christie’s social media which gives more insight as well.

As to spoilers, both the Free Press, and the Chicago Sun Times for season 29 managed to give enough to ID the final three and made the order of finish obvious. It’s not often the local news media does it on a finale, but other than hiding the entire final leg there’s not much to do about it. 

When mainstream media does spoilers from finale day and reports it, it’s not much you can do.

oh, by the way, the existence of TAR 32 is not a spoiler. It’s already been filmed, and Phil, Elise and Bertram have confirmed this in their social media. In fact you can hear Phil in his podcast episode with season one winners Rob and Brennan releases with this season started in April.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, TheRabbi said:

As a drummer for many years, I'm confident that I could have rocked that last challenge in less than 10 minutes....of course I would have needed 11 non-elimination legs to get there. Solid season.

I feel that way about opening the bank vault! I’ve worked at a bank for 9 years and was an assistant teller supervisor for about 3 years, so I would open vaults/combination locks multiple times a day!! 

• Love 5

I never thought that I would want C&C to win, but I did. I would have been okay with T&K as well.

I've always felt that the Afghanimals are obnoxious as all hell, and that opinion has not changed. I would have preferred N&V in the final. She's whiny, but never mean.

I'm pretty sure thay they edited out a RB because there are always two in the final leg - one for each player to complete. 

Good tasks, but I was surprised that there wasn't a memory challenge. 

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, green said:

Middle of London leg - I can't take this, heart attack time.

Right?! I never ever let myself be purposely spoiled about who wins any show but I couldn’t take it. Halfway through the first leg, I had to message a friend who is always spoiled and said: “I just need to know if Nicole and Victor win.” Once he said they didn’t, I could sit back and enjoy the rest of the leg.

54 minutes ago, me5671 said:

I don't even like Nicole and Victor, but I felt bad for them when the 3 Amazing Race teams were colluding against them. That must have felt sucky for them and was a bad look for the AR-alum teams. 

I don’t feel bad for them at all. They were part of a Big Brother alliance right from the start and would have gladly done the exact same thing if it had been three BB teams against one TAR team at the end. Nobody was colluding against them, they just weren’t working with them. Big difference.

50 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I have no idea why I am so invested in other people winning money I’ll never see, but I have adored Colin for what, 15 years? and I am so glad they won.  

Eliza and Corinne, shut your stupid faces.  Harpies.

Any outtakes of Colin rowing shirtless?  No?

I want to play fowling.  That looks so fun and it makes me laugh what people can come up while drinking.

Just one big YES to all of this!

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 7
(edited)

Just have to add that I'm so glad it was a final three of TAR Racers and so glad they worked together to try and ensure it too.  The BB teams were working together too and I had no problem with them doing that either.  Be true to your school.  As a diehard Red Sox fan I can respect the Yankees but never ever root for them. 

And having been on this ride since TAR1 and seeing how CBS has always treated TAR as their ugly stepchild while always promoting the hell out of Survivor and BB always rankled. 

Fans wrote letters to CBS and the sponsors begging for it to continue.  But TAR4 would have been the end of TAR if an Emmy for reality shows hadn't come along and the eligible TAR3 season, despite being the massive underdog, won and thus saved the show at that time.  And that in turn got us a TAR5 and Colin & Christie on same.. 

But despite TAR getting the network 10 Emmys, CBS has always treated it like a second class show with next to no support and promos.  Then they started moving it all over the place on their schedule and for years it was in a very bad place schedule wise.  But it somehow has survived despite CBS.  So this was sweet to see an all-TAR finale.  So take that, CBS!

The TAR teams did all of their fellow TAR alums proud and they even did us TAR fans watching for years proud too so, thanks guys.  Thanks so very very much!

Top 4 out of 5 was an awesome showing!!

Edited by green
  • Love 21
(edited)
26 minutes ago, green said:

Fans wrote letters to CBS and the sponsors begging for it to continue

I think this is exactly why longtime TAR fans feel a little overly protective and proud of TAR. Maybe we saved the show with our letters, maybe we didn’t...but we sure did try. A few friends gathered to watch the finale in NYC in season one, TARcon became a legit thing in season 2 when there were a larger, but still relatively small group of us watching and the Racers showed up. Then every TARcon after that became the unofficial after party where almost all the teams and Phil would show up. There’s just a personal connection between TAR and the fans that isn’t there with the other CBS reality shows.

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 12

I’m glad Colin and Christie won. Just wish there had been more shirtless Colin. 😏 Kudos to them for completing that 🚣 challenge. Equal kudos to the other teams for completing the 🚕 memory challenge.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

I thought these last two legs were really good, up until the final challenge.  I am always disappointed in final challenges that aren't memory challenges.  I would have rather had the drum set task replace the fowling, and then finish with a memory challenge.

I was really happy with the final three being an all TAR finale.  I would have been happy with any of the teams winning.

I enjoyed this season more than I expected.  I was really hesitant to watch with the BB and Survivor teams.  I was so hoping for Rachel & Elissa to go in the first few episodes.  (Rachel is fingernails on a blackboard to me, always has been since her first TAR appearance.)  I do wish Becca & Floyd made it into the final 3. 

I miss the memory challenges, too. I was always amazed that racers could remember this & that. The drum challenge was different but a lot like the robot (or something to that affect) that needed to be put together and the plane challenge that Jessica won for her & Cody.

• Love 1

I’m a little over the memory challenges. I mean, I like that there’s a mental aspect to the final task, not a purely physical one, but the memory challenges got boring because racers started taking copious notes throughout the race, and would memorize them so the final memory challenge wasn’t really challenging or unexpected anymore. 

• Love 13

I feel like I’ve been waiting for Colin and Christie to win for 14 years. So glad they came back.  I’ll be saving this episode for awhile.

Enjoyed the re-enactors at Dover Castle. They were clearly having a great time.

Did Jack White sponsor the final leg?

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, hjmugillecuty said:

Did Jack White sponsor the final leg?

I was just coming here to say “Gee, it’s a good thing Detroit doesn’t have any other famous musicians besides Jack White.” I’d rather have had the music gang be bombarding them with The Romantics’ “What I Like About You” during the final task.

• Love 4

Nice pic on the TAR and the Media thread ported over from Brett's Instagram page:

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/541-tar-in-the-media/?page=17&tab=comments#comment-5402539

Seems there was a viewing party in Dallas for the Finale.  Most of the Racers were there including Korey that the original poster hadn't noticed.  What a happy looking group. 

Glad there is that strong of a bond there that so many of them got together especially after this much time since the Race ended nearly a year ago (early July 2018) in real time. 

What a wait these guys had to sit through waiting for their season to be broadcast too.  (Another example of CBS disrespect to their best show).

• Love 6
1 hour ago, aemom said:

I'm pretty sure thay they edited out a RB because there are always two in the final leg - one for each player to complete. 

Good tasks, but I was surprised that there wasn't a memory challenge. 

There were 12 total Roadblocks this season, which is the usual, and there were 2 RB on the first leg. They didn’t have a RB on the 10th leg, leaving having 1RB for each of the final two legs. The 6 RB cap rule was in full effect this season, as the final teams had 6 RBs for each racer. So extremely unlike a RB was unaired.

TAR hasn’t always has memory tasks on the final leg. Sometimes they’ve had two. Their presence is meant to be unpredictable. In the tasks as aired, there was a lot of memory involved. The taxi task, the roadblock repell and vault lock, and putting together the drums. I think a Race related final memory task might have been overkill.

• Love 4

Colin is superhuman. Singlehandedly rowing the boat, acing the vault opening, knocking down nine pins in one throw. (I wish that both members were required to knock down all 10, but whatever. Also, that looks fun.)

Did Jack White give TAR money for product placement, or vice versa?

Great season. I was a Colin & Christie fan back in Season 5. It just feels good to see them win and be in such a good place.

• Love 12
(edited)

Team Fun would have been so awesome during the White Strips task, sigh, maybe they'll come back again.

So glad the Afghanimals have beat Rachel for the most legs.

Colin never exploded, I really thought he would.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

I think pink shirt was Elissa. Not a bad sport, nah?

The pink shirt was either Eliza or Corinne; Rachel and Elissa were there in their dayglow green.

It was nice to see a final leg not in NYC or LA. 

I didn't really care which team won, to be honest.

@TheRabbi, a drum major is the head of a marching band. 

• Love 2

tenor.gif?itemid=5404289

I almost cried when Christie was crying in the helicopter with Colin comforting her, I definitely hollered when they stuck with the rowing and completed it while making up so much time (and doing it the only sensible way), I panicked when they couldn't find their cab driver, I nearly barfed while they were assembling the drums, and, yes, I completely teared up when they ran out of that tunnel onto the mat AND WON!!!  Clearly, I've been waiting fifteen years for them to win this damn race, and I maybe had a wee catharsis when they did. #sorrynotsorry

Nicole and Victor sure like to play the victims, but I have no sympathy for them because a) they were already part of a BB alliance (a daunting group, that [/sarcasm]) and b) Nicole is soooooooo annoying.

Actually, the four teams finished in exactly the order I wanted, so I'm thrilled.  Tyler and Korey did amazingly, and Leo and Jamal broke Rachel's record, which is an absolute joy because Rachel is the worst.  Aside from Corinne.  And kind of Eliza, too.  Shut the fuck up, Eliza's face.

That was a completely heart-stopping, competitive final leg, and I could not be more thrilled with the result!

giphy.gif

• Love 18