Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms

Message added by Meredith Quill

Mod Notice:

Sniping about the opinions of other members, whether individually or en masse, violates our Golden: Be Civil rule. Don't do it.

Thanks.

• Start Topic

After having to watch Brienne, Thormund and Jaime eye each other all episode, I am so ready for someone, anyone - be it the Night King or Cersei - to play the matchmaker, since Brienne herself is being Ned Stark level of dense!

• LOL 9
  • Love 9

OMG, I was such a mess this episode.

Yeah I got teary eyed at least 5 or 6 times. Jaimie got so many great moments but knighting Brienne? Got me in the feels!

Sansa and Theon's reunion? Really awesome.

I'm glad Jon dropped the bomb so that is out of the way.

I was also thrilled we didn't waste any time on the South or Cersei and that Euron creep. It cracks me up that when I think about past seasons, I was always disappointed when we went North ... now I hate it when we see King's Landing!

I'm not ready for nest week. I really am not.

• Love 14
Just now, kieyra said:

I’m finding it all very watered down/dumbed down, like they know there are all these beats they have to hit and they’re just checking them off a list, with no nuance and no eye to writing particularly compelling dialogue, just a bunch of exposition bombs. Is that what you mean, or something else? 

EXACTLY. I couldn't have said it better. There's ending a show and "closing the loop" and then there's....this.

• Love 10

Holy crap - THE FEELS!!!

”Arise Brienne of Tarth. Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.”  GAH. My heart. 

So much goodness in this episode. Some call backs to season 1 again, and Podrick has a lovely voice.

The ‘miserable old shits’ on the battlements. 

Theon and Sansa’s reunion! GAH I think I’m shipping it. 

Grey Worm and Missandei making plans for a future that they hope to have.  

I thought the dialog was exceptional this episode. I know it’s the last moment of humor and lightness we’ll have for a long time in this show.

So much to digest, but for now all I can say is I loved it! 

Edited by MarySNJ
  • Love 20

I could not help but notice that Grey Worm’s uniform pants show that his actor is most certainly not Unsullied.

Also I am assuming Gilly’s actress is pregnant in real life, but not Gilly?  I mean all the Northern ladies are layered but Gilly seemed extra bundled.

Oh also I never would have thought The Hound would be my favorite but here we are.  Everything he said was just perfect.  Especially declaring that the Lord of Light didn’t resurrect Beros nineteen times just for The Hound to throw him over the battlements.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 7
  • Love 17
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

I could not help but notice that Grey Worm’s uniform pants show that his actor is most certainly not Unsullied.

Also I am assuming Gilly’s actress is pregnant in real life, but not Gilly?  I mean all the Northern ladies are layered but Gilly seemed extra bundled.

Wondered the same thing. Even bundled, you can see it in her face. Can’t find any confirmation that Hannah Murray is pregnant, though.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I just loved all the moments. Lyanna with Jorah (sadly, I feel we may have seen the last of her--I just worry that she is angst-bait for the writer.

Yeah I won't be surprised (shocked, maybe, but not surprised) if we're going to see her in wight form at some point next week. 

6 minutes ago, Love said:

The look on Dany’s face when Jon told her the truth.....yikes.  

Makes you wonder whether the rift between them is going to be deeper than expected. Of course she wouldn't take it well, but I didn't think she'd look almost hostile. 

5 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Would Dany really kill Jon so that the Iron Throne stays with her though? That's the question. If so I have a feeling Emilia Clarke is going to get some hate-fanfic for the rest of her life ...

I can't imagine she's going to go full evil and do that. But this won't be solved in one episode it appears. 

• Love 2
Just now, Hellga said:

When?  I missed that.  I guess I have to rewatch.  

When Sam, Edd, and Jon are on the battlements and Sam is talking about having killed a White Walker and a Thenn.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

Maybe the Unsullied are going to surprise the Night King with their dragonglass prosthetics.

• LOL 19
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Hellga said:

When?  I missed that.  I guess I have to rewatch.  

It was a quick shot of Ghost when Sam and Jon were talking about when was a good time to tell Dany the truth. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Leroux said:

I don't think that Sansa has ever talked about what happened to her while she was married to Ramsey, not even Jon or Aya. Bran might have a hint but he will never say it. They probably know it was bad but not how bad. 

The only one who could possibly understand what a nightmare that was is Theon, Theon knows what Sansa went thru and Sansa knows what Theon went thru. at that  moment when they hugged as I was crying all, I could think was "Damn you Ramsey, why did you have to cut Theon off, he would have been perfect for Sansa" 

This only means poor Theon is destined for death 😞 

I am sad Theon will die.  But would never want Lady stark with the man who betrayed her family.  I'm comfortable with Sansa ending up alone, if men like Theon, Tyrion, and the Hound are her only options.  

• Love 12

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but neither Jaime nor Brienne have been characters I've warmed to, so many of the moments that resonated with others did not resonate with me.  

BUT, the Theon and Sansa moment was unexpectedly the most emotional moment of the episode for me! Such a beautiful reunion. I've always liked Theon even if I was disappointed by his actions. Seeing him back in his true home just feels so right.

How old is Arya supposed to be? I felt uncomfortable with the sex scene. 

• Love 6

Dany's whole thing has been that she's the last Targ and the rightful heir. Not sure why Jon chose that moment to inform her that he's her competition. Let's face it, he's never been smart. Bless his heart.

Not sure why everyone thinks Theon is a goner next week. I think they are setting up a few characters to be heroes in these battles (Jamie, Brienne, Theon). Notice how no one else wanted the job of defending Bran from the Night King, or pointed out that Theon has betrayed many houses in that room in the past. Is he really the best person for the job? I guess we will all find out.

• Love 8

Dany has only just had the truth bomb dropped on her. She's barely had time to absorb this before the big battle began. Of course she'd look upset. So let's just see how it goes before we start making jokes about having Jon killed. Give her some credit, she really and sincerely adores Jon. That's not going to just evaporate.

• Useful 5
  • Love 16
31 minutes ago, sumiregusa said:

I really wish I could unsee everything I just saw. It was that bad.

I like Arya and Gendry together, I wish they would have hinted at having sex rather than having her get naked for the camera. Somehow it doesn't go with my image of Arya. 

I know this is just fan service but I can deal with it.  I just hope they do not do the same to Brienne. something are better left unseen. 

• Love 6

My initial thoughts:

1. Foreshadowing in Tyrion’s statement of killing Cersei as a WW?
  2. Penis measuring between a puzzled Jaime and Tormund. Awesome.
  3. I actually teared up when Jaime knighted Brienne. (And I won't clap for Tinkerbell nor cry for terms of endearment.)
  4. Arya playing game of faces with Gendry to find out if he’s slept with anyone before. (Well, that's just cheating)
  5. What does that song about Jenny foretell?
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, LilaFowler said:

Dany's whole thing has been that she's the last Targ and the rightful heir. Not sure why Jon chose that moment to inform her that he's her competition. Let's face it, he's never been smart. Bless his heart.

Not sure why everyone thinks Theon is a goner next week. I think they are setting up a few characters to be heroes in these battles (Jamie, Brienne, Theon). Notice how no one else wanted the job of defending Bran from the Night King, or pointed out that Theon has betrayed many houses in that room in the past. Is he really the best person for the job? I guess we will all find out.

Jon is just stupid.  We all have to accept it.  No good reason to tell her when he knows the Night King is around the corner.

For me, personally, dying to save a Stark is really the only fitting end for Theon that could redeem his betrayal.  I've long thought he was only alive to die for a stark.  That would make him a hero.

There's no way Jaime doesn't die.  It might not be this battle, tho.

Edited by dirtypop90
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, SourK said:

I... doubt most of the main characters will actually die next week. I feel like we've moved into a story-telling zone where the creators are taking a lot of joy in having everyone be alive -- almost as much joy as they used to take killing everyone off., 

Or they are setting the stage for the characters rising as part of the Army of the Dead. And their friends having to put them down.

I don't think everyone is going to die.  But at this moment, I don't think Brienne is going to make it and I think Jamie is going to have to fight her when she becomes a White Walker.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I knew they were going to end with Jon dropping the Targaryen bomb. I told ya Dany would be more concerned about being usurped than incest.

Didn't see Arya jumping Gendry though. The fan service was strong in this one.

Why would Daenerys blink an eye at the incest, this is 100% normal for Targaryens. 

I knew her issue was going to be with the Iron Throne. 

Daenerys told Sansa that her goal has always been the Iron Throne but she was there because she loves Jon, We will have to see now how much he actually does love him.

Sam's words come to mind, "You gave up your throne for you people, would she do the same for you?"  

• Love 15
10 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Well the Targayen have been marrying each other forever.  So it's normal for them. 

8 minutes ago, Hellga said:

Why would Daenerys be freaked out by the incest part.  Her parents were siblings.  Her grandparents were siblings.  Their family tradition going back centuries was incest.  She probably grew up with her brother telling her they will marry when they grow up.   Why would she think that sleeping with her nephew was anything abnormal?  Of course she went straight to "so who gets the throne then" part.  

Yeah, but Jon's feelings about the incest wasn't even on Dany's radar.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I knew they were going to end with Jon dropping the Targaryen bomb. I told ya Dany would be more concerned about being usurped than incest.

Yes.  Her first thought was that she was not the rightful heir anymore.  Never mind that she slept with her nephew and could conceivably be pregnant with his child (no pun intended).

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Leroux said:

Sansa hug with Theon, I felt it in my heart. 

I too loved the hug.

More significantly, though, it showed Dany that she's not the number one woman in a lot of people's lives -- even though she's 'The Queen'. It's not the way she expects people to react; like she's had people react in her previous conquests. Looks like she's going to have a lot of truths to digest soon (besides the big one about Jon).

• Love 19
1 minute ago, 3 is enough said:

Yes.  Her first thought was that she was not the rightful heir anymore.  Never mind that she slept with her nephew and could conceivably be pregnant with his child (no pun intended).

Well why would be worried? She was raised to think she was going to marry her brother and that it was natural to do so. Nephew sex isn’t that big of a deal to her. 

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Well the Targayen have been marrying each other forever.  So it's normal for them. 

Yeah, she paused for about 5 seconds calculating (as we all have done), “Uh wait, so he’s my, um, son of my brother is my... nephew. Ok, at least not my brother. I can still do him but no WAY he’s getting my Iron Throne.”

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
On 4/21/2019 at 10:31 PM, LilaFowler said:

Dany's whole thing has been that she's the last Targ and the rightful heir. Not sure why Jon chose that moment to inform her that he's her competition.

What is the point in not telling her now?  It's not going to hurt any less or be any less of a shock if he waited; in fact the longer he sat on that information before telling her the more negative her reaction might be.  Jon is a straight shooter.  Dany knows that.  Face it, no one whose been living under the assumption that they're “the last one, the only one, the special one” is going to receive the news that they aren't gracefully.  It will be interesting to see what happens going forward.  Dany may be stunned, but I really can't imagine her going crazy and trying to do Jon harm.  But we'll have to wait and see, won't we?

Edited by taurusrose
Punctuation
  • Love 21

Dany’s point about Jon’s proof of being a Targaryen is a good one. There’s some lines in a journal about a secret wedding, and the report from unit BR4N. People claiming to be long-lost heirs to the throne rarely end well in history. 

Of course, it may all be academic, since people aren’t super stoked about Dany being queen anyway. The majority will probably take Jon’s word for it. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 18
15 minutes ago, scottiB said:

When Sansa, teary and emotional, rushed to hug Theon, the look on Dany’s face screamed, “Sansa! Sansa! Sansa! Why does everyone love Sansa?!?!”

#janofhousebrady

Didn't see that.  I don't think there is a Sansa vs Daenerys vibe in either woman's mind.

14 minutes ago, dirtypop90 said:

Jon is just stupid.  We all have to accept it.  No good reason to tell her when he knows the Night King is around the corner.

Jon is not stupid and I don't accept that.  There was no reason not to tell her.  I'm amazed that so many people prefer lies and deception to the truth.

Edited by taurusrose
  • Useful 1
  • Love 18
2 minutes ago, dragonsbite said:

I too loved the hug.

More significantly, though, it showed Dany that she's not the number one woman in a lot of people's lives -- even though she's 'The Queen'. It's not the way she expects people to react; like she's had people react in her previous conquests. Looks like she's going to have a lot of truths to digest soon (besides the big one about Jon).

She'll have to defeat another King before she can digest any truths. She hasn't always had people bow down to her in her previous conquests. She had to show them what she could do before they even listened to her. Yes, it mostly involved fire and burning things but this is what she can do that no one else can.  She earned Drogo's respect by showing him different ways to have sex and eating a horse heart, she earned the Dothraki's respect by going into the fire with her dead husband and coming out unscathed with new born dragons, she earned the respect of others by freeing the slaves and burning their masters, then she earned the respect of all the Dothraki by burning down their other leaders and walking out of the fire unscathed again. No one just bowed down to her because she said she was a Queen. The Unsullied, the Dothraki, Ser Jorah, and Tyrion are following Dany because she earned their respect. 

Does she always make the best decisions, no, But neither do Sansa and Jon. They have all done stupid things. None of them are perfect rulers and no will ever be a perfect ruler. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 20

I just loved the way Tyrion told Jamie  "we are going to die....at Winterfell."  The TONE in his voice when he said Winterfell really conveyed it all. I laughed out loud. 

was it just me or did Ghost look really small? I actually thought it was just some random regular wolf up there with Jon and Sam but It must be Ghost. Why is a dire wolf so much harder to do with effects than a dragon?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 13

They were playing a different version of the music they played when Grey Worm and Missandei got together last season.  Jacob Anderson does this jaw clenching thing that shows his emotion.  I am not sure what the purpose was of showing how everyone is reacting to them at this stage of the series when they have pretty much acted as if they were "accepted" to a certain point since they were introduced.  It just seems as if this season is going to be all about giving a "nod" to everything that people have been posting about.   It has been interesting to see how Grey Worm has become more confident as the series has gone on. 

All we need now is for Jaimie and Brienne to have sex  and for Jaime to kill Cersei and I think they will have covered a lot of it.  I would like to see Brienne acknowledge in some way that she understands that one man wants her and that she wants Jaimie...or at least that he feels something between them if he can acknowledge anything outside of his damaged relationship with his sister....

• Love 4
1 minute ago, MissL said:

was it just me or did Ghost look really small? I actually thought it was just some random regular wolf up there with Jon and Sam but It must be Ghost. Why is a dire wolf so much harder to do with effects than a dragon?

I think it's the fur. I remember Pixar talking about how difficult it is to make any type of hair in CGI. But, yeah it's odd that they can make fictional animals look so great, but ones based on real animals don't look right.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

I can't believe so many liked this episode

I feel like this episode and the first one from last week easily could have been combined into one.  

This really felt to me like the writers were purposely dragging this out and finding all the filler they could before the big battle.  

Definitely did not need to see Arya like that.  

Now I am thinking Jon will die to save khaleesi and make her queen

At least we kind of know what a three eyed Raven is now.  The historian of all knowledge and the kingdom.  

• Love 5