Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: The Bimbo

• Start Topic

Oh my, that was an awesome episode. 

Did I need a Pitch Perfect/Harry Potter crossover moment? Nope. Did I need the knowledge of Jake learning Spanish for Amy? Nope. Did I need characters referencing past seasons, as far back as season 3 (I believe)? Nope.

But did I love it? Hell to the yes.

So many hilarious lines as well. From Amy's "cool cool cool, morale morale morale" to her "'OH MY GOD GARY, YOU WON'T GET SHOT!" to Holt's "WHY ARE THERE FLOWERS HERE" and Kevin's speech in defense of his husband at the end, I was laughing quite a bit.

I want a marriage like Kevin/Holt. I love their intimate PDA moment at the end. Plus, the show is really enjoying getting to push the NBC censors. It makes the show a little more fun for me.

I did love the Terry vs Amy Lunch Battle. What I loved more is the bit characters getting to shine a bit. Poor Gary. 

• Love 22

After a full first season of The Other Two, it's an unexpected kick to see one of its stars, Drew Tarver, as Gary the uniformed cop. Checking in IMDb, I see that he also played the role once before, last year (but he wasn't imprinted on my memory back then). So the fact that he returned to it like this after getting a career bump is either a sign that he's a good sport, or a reminder of how an actor's job is so uncertain, you'd better grab all the work you can get.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

After a full first season of The Other Two, it's an unexpected kick to see one of its stars, Drew Tarver, as Gary the uniformed cop. Checking in IMDb, I see that he also played the role once before, last year (but he wasn't imprinted on my memory back then). So the fact that he returned to it like this after getting a career bump is either a sign that he's a good sport, or a reminder of how an actor's job is so uncertain, you'd better grab all the work you can get.

I've never seen the actor outside of the 99 but I remembered him right away from last year - he was the mini Amy who she was soooooo annoyed with when she first became sergeant because all he wanted was to share ideas for how to make improvements to the squad. And he loved paper products too, maybe? I was really excited to see him again, and would enjoy seeing more of him if his new series doesn't work out.

Holt, Kevin, and Jake were fantastic together, as always.

• Love 10

I love how Holt and Kevin make their "public displays of affection", aka the standard handshake, look hot.

I would love a breakroom like the one Amy and Terry set up for everyone.  Noise canceling headphones and a phone charger?  YES PLEASE!  I tend to get bothered on my breaks so that looks like heaven.

• Love 15

Things I loved: Amy's "cool cool cool" copied from Jake. And Jake's "I refuse to live in a world where you're the Jake." Although it did seem unbelievable, when Holt's worked so hard to get where he is, that he'd be intimidated by a bunch of academic geeks. I put that down to his hope to be the partner that Kevin's colleagues feel that he deserves. I wish that they had compared that to how Holt's coworkers feel about Kevin, but probably there was no time. 

I also loved Hitchcock and Scully holding hands when they discovered that they were the lunch judges.

Loved: Jake researching that he's above average for the 1940 census height. 

I felt like the academic people were even more impossibly snooty than in reality.

Why is there a statue of Gina???

eta: I forgot about Holt bringing back "Bingpot"! Also, I looked up "Maeve Cannon Lecture Hall" but I couldn't come up with anything. Does that have a meaning?

Edited by Mystery
  • Love 6

"Are you guys getting a divorce? I mean...thats fine...not bringing up any issues..." *obviously starting to cry* 

I am so happy to see Kevin again! Marc Evan Jackson is such a deadpan delight, and I always love him and Holt and their relationship. Poor Holt, feeling all put down as a "working class bimbo" by Kevin's academic friends, loved him showing them up, and Kevin making a kerfuffle in support of him. And dont forget that super sexy PDA *businessmen like handshake* 

The B plot with Terry and Amy was predictable but fun, and it was fun seeing Carey from The Other Two as Gary, the poor scared uniformed officer. So apparently he was on the show before? Its always funny when you get used to a character from something, and then look back to when they were more of a working actor you didnt really notice and see all the stuff they were in before. "I shot my husband two years ago, and it had never come up as much as this!" 

"WHY ARE THERE FLOWERS HERE!?!"

• Love 16

I forgive all my issues with last week’s  episode for using the correct name for a teppanyaki grill and not being bamboozled by Benihana and calling it a hibachi which is a huge pet peeve of mine and because I watch a lot of Bravo it comes up a lot! 

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

FINALLY an episode featuring Kevin, and it did not disappoint! It was nice to see that underneath Holt's even and assured demeanor, he's battling his own insecurities just like anyone else. I loved that though Kevin didn't have much choice but to endure the snobbish attitudes of his academic friends, he never wavered on how brilliant he finds Holt, and it was awesome when he finally stood up to defend his man. Their relationship is truly a delight, and kudos to the actors for having the chemistry needed to make it work, including the ability to infuse that PDA handshake with some actual heat.

Jake's seemingly random initial comment about his height and the 1940s census resurfacing later as him worrying that Amy's family thinks he's too short was a really smart way of tying his experiences in with Holt's. That feeling of inadequacy and the struggle to maintain a sense of self under different circumstances is exactly what Holt was going through. That small detail took the theme previously presented ("I refuse to live in a world where you're the Jake") and grounded it to a real situation where Jake could actually commiserate with Holt. The Jake/Hitchcock jokes were funny on their own, but I admire the show for reaching beyond that integrating a more sophisticated and salient joke.

The lunch stuff was all worth it for Melissa Fumero's delivery of "Oh my God, Gary, YES, you won't get shot!" She's consistently awesome but she really shined in this episode.

• Love 19
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't remember when Amy shot Jake! I'm so disappointed in myself!

Great episode all around.

When they were in Florida, Amy shot Jake in the knee to save him from the mob boss (Eric Robert's character, whose name I can't remember at the moment). Coral Palms Pt. 3 is the episode. 

• Love 7

So anyway, my favorite part of the episode was Holt calling the NYT Crossword app a video game. I definitely do a little dance every time the victory music plays, and if that makes me a Jake, I'm okay with it. (I'm less okay with being a Hitchcock.)

• Love 16

Kevin! Holt is a hot piece of ass!* PDA handshakes! What's not to love?

The cold open was great w/ the personalized high fives. But what really took it to the next level was Jake's commentary on each individual move and how much it pained him to watch. Oh, Jake. You really do need to arrive on time for roll call. In fact, you should take it like Holt is former NY Giants coach Tom Coughlin - if the meeting is scheduled to begin at 8 AM and you arrive at 8 AM, you're 10 minutes late.

Amy and Terry's Lunch-Offs made for a funny B-story. And how Hitchcock and Scully were continually able to break the space-time continuum b/c free food was involved.

* I wonder what Cheddar feels about Holt's soft, squishy brain.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, scrambled eggs said:

When they were in Florida, Amy shot Jake in the knee to save him from the mob boss (Eric Robert's character, whose name I can't remember at the moment). Coral Palms Pt. 3 is the episode. 

THANK YOU!!!!

I refuse to believe Kevin would ever wear a beard that robust.

It's very academic looking though, so that tracks.

I don't know if they will ever be able to top Holt referring to himself as a "just some dumb, hot piece of ass."

• Love 12
13 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

After a full first season of The Other Two, it's an unexpected kick to see one of its stars, Drew Tarver, as Gary the uniformed cop.

Thanks! I remembered him from his previous appearance, he tried to put Amy Amy, but Seth Meyers had both the two stars and the writers on a week or  two later and they look alike.

• Love 1

Love when the episode is about Holt and Kevin's relationship. Holt's insecurity reminded me of in the X-Men comics around the Claremont/Byrne era when Professor X went with his alien girlfriend to her homeworld and he felt like the "village idiot" compared to all the advanced aliens with higher intelligence from around the galaxy. There was a short story in the "Classic X-Men" reprint about it.

Man, Amy can give Monica Gellar a run for her money on competitiveness.

Whenever I see that British actor who plays the dean(on Buffy as part of the Watchers Council, The Social Network, commercials) I think "John Cleese Lite!". He's gone grey now which makes me feel real old.

Favorite lines: "WHY ARE THERE ALWAYS FLOWERS HERE?!!"

"I shot my husband with a real bullet two years ago and it comes up way less than this!"

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Seth Meyers had both the two stars and the writers on a week or  two later and they look alike.

Sorry, I'm feeling dim today -- who is it that looks alike?

One of the fun jolts of seeing Drew Tarver turn up as Gary (less so for those with better memories, who recalled him from last year) is that he was silent in his first shots, and seemed to be just one of the squad. So I was reduced to thinking, "Damn, does starring in a 10-episode season on Comedy Central provide so little security that he's already scrounging 'extra' work?" Obviously once he spoke up, I re-adjusted my brain.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

Sorry, I'm feeling dim today -- who is it that looks alike?

The creators of The Other Two are a blandly attractive male and female that don’t look dissimilar to the blandly attractive male and female acting leads of The Other Two. 

Edited by biakbiak
1 hour ago, Lunula said:

Gina left them with a statue of her when she departed her job there to honor herself. 

Oh, thanks. By the end I was regularly FFing through her parts. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I love how Holt and Kevin make their "public displays of affection", aka the standard handshake, look hot.

Honestly, it felt very intimate. The acting plus the directing made that happen. Loved it.

14 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

As usual, Andre Braugher was comedic perfection, and there will be no justice until he wins a best supporting comedy actor Emmy. 

If he doesn't win soon, I swear I'll start a kerfuffle.

14 hours ago, Mystery said:

I also loved Hitchcock and Scully holding hands when they discovered that they were the lunch judges.

That was so sweet, and I appreciated that it was rather subtle.

Fun ep, esp the Kevin/Holt/Jake plot. Loved Kevin secretly meeting Jake in the men's room and reluctantly saying, "Womp." Loved Holt opening the door normally and Kevin whispering to Jake that he knew it was Raymond because that's how he opens the door.

I liked the references to the safe house time and to Jake and Kevin watching Nic Cage movies. So great when Kevin denies having any memory left of the movies, but then whips out a Cage quote.

Kevin: You know, the 'laser pointer' is a bit of a misnomer. It is simply a laser; the pointer is you.

Holt: I know how they all see me, as Kevin's… working class… bimbo.

Holt: I wanted to say that but Jake told me not to!

• Love 13

Usually imo when a serious actor does comedy they really overplay it for laughs as a comic character in an almost patronizing in-on-the-joke way (looking at you, Robert DeNiro). Captain Holt is so NOT that character; and thus his delivery and demeanor are even funnier.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

Usually imo when a serious actor does comedy they really overplay it for laughs as a comic character in an almost patronizing in-on-the-joke way (looking at you, Robert DeNiro). Captain Holt is so NOT that character; and thus his delivery and demeanor are even funnier.

I agree. Comedic actors can usually play dramatic roles, but the reverse isn't often true. All credit to AB and the job he does w/ Holt. 

• Love 4

Last week we got Kevin's voice (and his debate moderator credentials) and this week we get full Kevin!  I am always so happy when we get a Kevin/Holt episode.

This one was great.  Both the A and B plot were equally fun.  I just love it that they've been writing Rosa as being so supportive of Amy in recent seasons since in the early seasons they allowed Gina to be so dismissive of her special skill set and be mean to her.  Amy freaking rocks, yo.

Also I will never not love hearing Holt refer to himself as a 'bimbo' and a 'hot piece of ass.'  LOL.

He and Kevin do make a handshake look hot.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 11

eta: I forgot about Holt bringing back "Bingpot"!

That was hilarious! I always knew it would make a return! My waiting has not been in vain. It was great how it was just thrown in there, a little fun acknowledgment for us B99 faithful. This show treats its fans so well!

• Love 3
On 4/18/2019 at 10:17 PM, Rinaldo said:

I have it on good authority that New York actors will let you shoot them in the face with paintballs for an affordable price.

(I loved this episode.)

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 4/19/2019 at 10:02 AM, Lois Sandborne said:

So anyway, my favorite part of the episode was Holt calling the NYT Crossword app a video game. I definitely do a little dance every time the victory music plays, and if that makes me a Jake, I'm okay with it. (I'm less okay with being a Hitchcock.)

Holt: Oh, it plays a little song when you solve it as if you’ve just learned to potty. Yes, yes—play me my dunce’s tune.

I died. Andre Braugher is an absolute treasure.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Can someone remind me about "Bingpot"?

On 4/19/2019 at 8:02 AM, Lois Sandborne said:

5 hours ago, JenLily said:

Holt: Oh, it plays a little song when you solve it as if you’ve just learned to potty. Yes, yes—play me my dunce’s tune.

I'm perfectly fine with being a Jake and smiling when I get the victory music -- especially on a Friday or Saturday (when the puzzles are their hardest).

33 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Can someone remind me about "Bingpot"?

Jake wanted to say Bingo, but after he started he realized Jackpot was cooler so he switched and thus, Bingpot.  Holt like it so they both continued to use it.  I can't remember if anyone else ever used it.

8 hours ago, JenLily said:

Best scene of the night. I rewatched it several times.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, JenLily said:

Kill me now but I downloaded the app yesterday just so I could hear my dunce’s tune. Whoever is writing these lines for Andre Braugher’s hilarious delivery is also an absolute treasure.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 4/18/2019 at 10:18 PM, AnimeMania said:

With all the money they spent buying everybody lunch, it would have been cheaper to just buy a new refrigerator.

Yes! It was a funny bit but that's all I could think about the entire time - who the hell was paying for all that stuff???!?

• Love 4
On 4/18/2019 at 10:09 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Holt's "WHY ARE THERE FLOWERS HERE"

This was the moment that made me laugh the hardest. Is it wrong that I think this is kind of a Jake-esque response? I think Jake may be influencing Holt in ways neither of them really expects.

Kevin's impassioned defence of his husband was delightful -- down to the "hella-specific" handshake PDA. So lovely and so much in character -- even though I found Holt's insecurity and self-castigation for being a "bimbo" somewhat out of character for him. (Surely someone who withstood years of ostracism and harassment as a gay, black cop would have thicker skin? Or maybe Holt's pride in his intellect becomes its own kind of weak spot?)

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 3
On 4/23/2019 at 9:31 PM, Ilovepie said:

Yes! It was a funny bit but that's all I could think about the entire time - who the hell was paying for all that stuff???!?

I think they all were. Remember Gary's "When are we going to get reimbursed?" comment?

• LOL 1

Loved the beginning (Wow, way to hit Jake where it hurts, Captain!) and loved the end (with that shameless PDA between Kevin & Raymond) but in between felt kinda meh to me. Did like the return of "Bingpot!" though and I felt gratified at the mention of Parmenion because I knew who that was (admittedly, not from studying the period in history, but from reading "trashy" fiction)!