Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

22 hours ago, Qoass said:

Any chance you can restore the time count on iTunes? Sometimes you discuss a show I haven't seen yet and it's hard to keep spoiler free when I don't know how far to fast forward.

Dave explained this on an earlier podcast after we joined Panoply, but because of the dynamic ad...stuff, they would change.

2 hours ago, Tara Ariano said:

Dave explained this on an earlier podcast after we joined Panoply, but because of the dynamic ad...stuff, they would change.

But couldn't you post the running order at least? At least then you have some idea of where to skip to. Or was the fact that it's absent this week just an oversight?

21 hours ago, John Potts said:

But couldn't you post the running order at least? At least then you have some idea of where to skip to. Or was the fact that it's absent this week just an oversight?

The running order is in the episode description on the Previously.TV episode page.

This seems like the perfect spot to thank Heather and Jessica for their recaps of "The Crown," which I'm enjoying greatly, and also thank Tara for converting them to broadcast form. Apparently podcasts have been the friend who reads recaps to me all along, and I'm only realizing it now. It's a great compromise for those who missed the recaps (me) and those who enjoy the expanded podcast offerings (also me). I hope plenty of others agree, because I'm not quite egocentric enough to think it's worth Tara's time reading them if I'm the only one listening.

I do! Philip Ziegler's King Edward VIII and Anne Sebba's That Woman. (I read them in reverse order and I'd recommend doing the same.) Good writing about fascinating people and times -- and it paid off when that drive-by shade about Baltimore happened in, I think, Episode 3.

Quick response to Dave's comment about there being issues with Rebecca's character continuity on Crazy Ex-GF: I think the show's goal has always been to puncture this cliche'd rom-com fantasy, and the abrupt change in how they portrayed Rebecca was part of their strategy.

They set the Rebecca of season 1 up as a stereotypical rom-com character (with a few small cracks in the facade showing in a humorous, low-stakes way). That was how she saw herself, that was how most of her friends chose to see her, and that is generally the side of her that the show presented to us. And then at the very end of season 2, that vision of Rebecca is suddenly shattered, and everybody has to face who Rebecca actually is. And the show makes its point more effectively by doing it that way.

I may be retcon-ing this, and I'm probably not explaining myself well. I guess I'm saying that the Rebecca of season 3 was always there; she was just willfully not seeing a lot of herself, and so we weren't seeing it either.  And that was kind of the point.

Edited by Trishelle

For the record, "Happy!" was written by Grant Morrison, and "The Boys" was written Garth Ennis. And despite evidence to the contrary, they're both different dudes. (I get the confusion, though, 'cause both books were drawn by Darick Robertson, who, by sheer coincidence, also used to draw the "Nightman" comic, and created that gawwwwwwdawful costume you guys were going on about.)

Sadly, I remember off the top of my head that Marisa Coughlin was indeed the star of Williamson's "Wasteland", that show about NYC twentysomethings with Sasha "Pacey's Sister" Alexander, Brad "Hollywood Also Really Tried To Make Him Happen" Rowe, and Rebecca "See You On The "Urban Legend" Set, Joshua Jackson" Gayhart that lasted for like five minutes on ABC.

Edited by TeeVee329

I haven't seen season three of Crazy-Ex Girlfriend but my feelings kind of mirror @David T. Cole's. I love the show, the characters and the musical moments - not just like but genuinely love -  but kinda felt the show wanted to have its cake and eat it too in the way character turns would happen so quickly.

As someone who has suffered intermittently throughout life with very serious depression, it always felt like Rebecca's depression was presented as relatively consequence-less, or that the stakes were too low. I couldn't really put it into words until I started writing about it just now. I realized that I'm ok with Rebecca not taking her depression seriously since denial is a big part of the disease, but I have a hugeissue with the fact that the show didn't take her depression seriously, or at least didn't seem like it was up until the last episode of season 2.  

I may give it a re-think once s3 comes to Netflix and I get a chance to watch it. That said, I love the show, and as such am willing to forgive such things or chalk them up to it being such a wildly different concept and execution that it took them a while to get their sea legs. 

tl;dr still better than Cop Rock (@Sarah D. Bunting knows what I mean :D )

I'd produce an extremely loose version of Call Me By Your Name.  It wouldn't have any of Andre Aciman's characters (Elio or Oliver); it would be an anthology series with a new love story involving original LGBTQ characters every season.  We could do a gay male couple in season one, a lesbian couple in season two, a straight cisgender man falling in love with a straight transgender woman in season three, etc.  We would show how they meet, how they fell in love, how their friends/family/co-workers/neighbors react, how they survive in Trump's America, and since I am a sap, I'd prefer a happy ending by the end of each season.  It would be on HBO (because nudity) and I'd prefer that all the actors/actresses involved be at least as attractive as Armie Hammer (because nudity).

As a former New Yorker who now lives in Connecticut for work reasons, I completely agree with everything that was said. Connecticut is the absolute worst. The way my employer marketed this place is that it's halfway between New York and Boston. THAT WAS THEIR CHOSEN SELLING POINT. Sigh...this place really sucks. One thing you left out, however, is the gun culture is surprisingly strong here to the point that sometimes I think I'm in the South. I guess that's an artifact of the fact that the fact that Samuel Colt invented the modern rifle here?

I always appreciate a prerecorded episode when you take weeks off. But I was so looking forward to finding out whether Jason Priestly was going to be declared a winner or loser for inserting himself into the #metoo movement in the most aggressively Brandon Walsh way possible.

I always appreciate a prerecorded episode when you take weeks off. But I was so looking forward to finding out whether Jason Priestly was going to be declared a winner or loser for inserting himself into the #metoo movement in the most aggressively Brandon Walsh way possible.

I thought the same thing when I read about that!!! Ok Brandon.. I mean Jason.

As a former New Yorker who now lives in Connecticut for work reasons, I completely agree with everything that was said. Connecticut is the absolute worst. The way my employer marketed this place is that it's halfway between New York and Boston. THAT WAS THEIR CHOSEN SELLING POINT. Sigh...this place really sucks. One thing you left out, however, is the gun culture is surprisingly strong here to the point that sometimes I think I'm in the South. I guess that's an artifact of the fact that the fact that Samuel Colt invented the modern rifle here?

Interesting, I would have never thought Connecticut would have such a strong gun culture, particularly after Sandy Hook.

The selling point being the proximity to other places is kind of hilarious. And sad.

I loved this episode!  

Coming to you from Wisconsin, all I can say is I'm sorry.  Paul Ryan and Scott Walker should never have been foisted on the world and I don't even know how it happened.

Glad to hear the shout-out to Rosehaven - Daniel and Emma came to mind immediately as best opposite gender friendship on TV. 

Tara! I’ve been saying the same thing about Grover since my kids went through their Elmo stages. He is a poor poor substitute for Grover. Super Grover is also my favorite superhero.

Yes! I was sitting in my car saying, "Thank you, Tara!" out loud. Super Grover was the best!