Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

Fry should be on the $300 bill, as that was the size of the tax rebate that Fry used to buy his 100 coffees (which apparently allows you to move like the Flash).

(And yes, I'm aware there IS no $300 bill, except in Futurama).

22 hours ago, Stowaway said:

Tina Fey has always gotten a pass on shit she doesn't deserve a pass on. Consider: two shows on the same network, the same night, and the one about small-town government in Indiana had more queer recurring characters/stories than the one about the entertainment industry in New York. Only one of those shows had a main-credits cast member who had a bit in his standup routine about how he would kill any son of his who turned out gay, yet both of them won GLAAD media awards.

/sjwmodeoff

30 Rock won a GLAAD award?!!! Definitely looking into this. 

You may not want to be spoiled and I have no knowledge that they will follow the story line but The Terror is likely based on the book by Dan Simmons (fictionalized historical story) versus the true Arctic exploration or the AMC show may fall somewhere along this gradient-- regardless the Terror aspect may not just be about a ship. 

Edited by ReclinerTurnip
  • Love 1
On 1/12/2018 at 0:05 PM, ReclinerTurnip said:

You may not want to be spoiled and I have no knowledge that they will follow the story line but The Terror is likely based on the book by Dan Simmons (fictionalized historical story) versus the true Arctic exploration or the AMC show may fall somewhere along this gradient-- regardless the Terror aspect may not just be about a ship. 

Ah HA. I will mention this on next episode.

For achieving the impossible of not just getting acquitted the (absolutely definitely) guilty Gauis Baltar, where the judges knew he was guilty and doing so in a society that had no legal system in place prior to the trial: Romo Lampkin from Battlestar Galactica.

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:56 PM, Zazoo said:

No question, Leroy Jethro Gibbs, NCIS

Maybe if you're a loyal soldier or a cute kid. If you're a bleeding heart liberal, you can expect to have your life torn apart because "Why would you want to exercise your rights you no good Liberal punk!? Don't you know the government is always right?" [/liberal rant]

• Love 1

As the Game of Thrones Book Thread on this site can confirm, I am something of a Tywin Lannister apologist. If the man himself were asked to justify himself, he'd say - OK, he wouldn't say anything, he'd just glare because "A lion does not justify himself to sheep," but if he were to justify himself, he'd say, "Why is it more noble to kill thousands in battle than a dozen at a dinner*?" A ruthless man, sure, but he kept the Kingdom running, as the rest of Westeros acknowledged: "Seven Kingdom united in fear of Tywin Lannister!"

* Even if this CONSIDERABLY understates the deaths at the Red Wedding

2 hours ago, PatternRec said:

When @David T. Cole said Counterpart had money behind it, that it was "shot on location" my first thought was "they shoot here and in the parallel universe?" :D 

That is ambitious! I always hated on "Fringe" how you could tell the parallel universe scenes were just Vancouver.

I feel like even in Dave's endorsement of it, The Network is being unjustly maligned here. They didn't want to kill a "very large portion" of the human race! They wanted to kill as few people as they had to in order to set off a worldwide vaccination panic, leading to mass sterilization. The plan is elegant because it is so humane.

Edited by Stowaway

I will never get tired of Tara singing Gus Fring's praises. My husband and I just finished an insane, caffeine-fueled Breaking Bad re-watch, and he is just . . . well, impeccable.  I would definitely vote for Gus for president, and I would probably marry him.  RIP, Gus. 

OK, this is a RetCon, but I'd love to see Mary McDonnell playing Dora Roslin on BSG. Wacky hijinks ensue when she sleeps with Gaius Baltar, who thinks he's sleeping with Laura. Is she a cylon? No, it's just her previously unmentioned (and never mentioned again) twin sister!

(It might require a drastic tonal shift in the series)

Sandy Baker is a single mom living in rural Virginia. She has a full time job at the Smithfield plant, plus weekend shifts at a local bar. When her abusive ex comes back into town, she fears for the safety of herself and her 7 year old daughter. After one particularly threatening encounter, Sandy and her daughter pack up and fly to Monterrey, California to stay with Sandy’s twin sister Renata. Coming next season on “Big Little Lies”!

I must say, I found it highly amusing to hear Tara asking Dave, "Are you a man?" I'd have thought she'd have noticed by now (and Sarah was so close with her last guess)!

Threshold is truly Nonac worthy, though probably not the worst in the Franchise (I'd vote DS9's Profit and Lace for that "honour").

DAE Kate Mulgrew is to Katharine Hepburn what Christian Slater is to Jack Nicholson? Her line readings always sound like she's playing a character who's playing a character. Yet she was still the best thing about that show, which is why "Threshold" will always be worse than "Profit and Lace" for me. Neither of them are the nadir of Trek, though. There are still worse episodes out there.

That was an excellent Nonac submission. Well done.

So good, I was chuckling during my commute and startling my fellow passengers.

Also an excellent deployment of the "You will spoil eet!" sound drop from AWT. Kudos, Dave!

I can't argue with anything the submitter said about "Threshold," though a little while ago I thought it might be fun to try. It's episodes like "Threshold" that remind us what Star Trek actually is.: https://bentrubewriter.com/2016/07/22/why-threshold-is-not-the-worst-but-is-in-fact-the-best-star-trek-episode/

Caught up with this ep. I want to hash over the strategy on how the 12 Questions Game should be played. I think my first question would be "Are you a white man?" which about cuts the character field in half. I think "Is your show on one of the original 3 networks?" would be another good question to cut things in half.  Based on those answers, you would have some clues as to where to go next. If it's not a white man, you can figure out exactly what flavor of non-white man it is. Same with not being on ABC, NBC, or CBS. If it's not Big 3, then you could figure out Premium cable, basic cable, Fox, or streaming. The division of time from currently airing, after 2000, or before 2000 would be another tactic. It's a tough game unless you get lucky with your questions.

Tara's getting 7 points on one question was astounding. Either of the last two Hail Marys at the end would have been amazing.

On The Nonac. Is there a Voyager episode that would have qualified for The Canon?

3 hours ago, Fukui San said:

On The Nonac. Is there a Voyager episode that would have qualified for The Canon?

I thought about this all through the presentation. The conclusion I came to is that yes, there probably is such an episode, but it would be difficult to figure out which one it is. The trick would be to go against the natural impulse to find the "best" episode of Voyager, and concentrate instead on finding the least annoying one. (For example, there's no way in hell Sarah or Tara would vote in an episode that ended with "and that's why none of this ever even happened in the first place," as so many of the fan-favorite Voyager episodes do.)

4 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Tara's getting 7 points on one question was astounding.

Indeed. I'm thinking she had a small advantage over Sarah and John, though, because she knows Dave's brain better than they do - like when your partner in Pictionary is someone you know really well, so you can usually guess what they're drawing.

Also, Sarah's 'Duncan McNuts In My Mouth' made me snort-laugh. (It was her delivery that made it art.)

ETA: What was that hilarrible Nonac music???

Edited by purist
8 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Is there a Voyager episode that would have qualified for The Canon?

Scorpion? It certainly featured the character who perked up the ratings and set the tone for much of the rest of the series. I was something of a fan of Worst Case Scenario, with the (virtual) return of Seska, even if the "Holodeck gone awry" episodes had been done to death (at least it was deliberate on that occasion, unlike normally where the odd wrong word endangers the entire ship).