Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

The homophobia you describe in Everything Sucks sounds very realistic to me. Rural Oregon in the mid-90s was not much different from the deep south (speaking from experience). Anti-gay discrimination was very real. Oregon voted on statewide anti-gay-rights ballot measures in 1992 and 1994, both of which barely failed (these measures passed by big margins in the rural areas, but liberal Portland had enough people to win the statewide vote). These votes emboldened homophobes. I remember "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" posters on students' lockers, etc.

36 minutes ago, jd704 said:

The homophobia you describe in Everything Sucks sounds very realistic to me. Rural Oregon in the mid-90s was not much different from the deep south (speaking from experience). Anti-gay discrimination was very real. Oregon voted on statewide anti-gay-rights ballot measures in 1992 and 1994, both of which barely failed (these measures passed by big margins in the rural areas, but liberal Portland had enough people to win the statewide vote). These votes emboldened homophobes. I remember "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" posters on students' lockers, etc.

Interesting; I didn't know that about Oregon. Thanks for the info. As I said on the podcast, I'm sure homophobia was alive and well in ALL high schools in 1996, but I can only go on my experience growing up in the Detroit suburbs, where the homophobia was a bit more subtle (but just as insidious). 

10 hours ago, jd704 said:

To me what made it less believable was that it was coming from the lead drama girl. I went to a rural southern Ontario high school with a huge performing arts program, and those drama kids in 1990-92 would have loooooooooooooved to have accepted a gay friend in the years before they came out themselves :) Seriously though: it also seemed like they were setting up the drama girl to be grappling with something herself, but I don't plan to watch the whole season and find out.

I zoned out for a minute during the game time instructions (like Dave, I was high on a placebo); it may have then taken me an embarrassingly long time to realize that the answers were not actual shows. I may or may not have even started searching for PeruPaul's Drag Race on Youtube (I mean, there is now a Thai edition of the show). 

Edited by Corgi-ears
On 2/21/2018 at 11:31 AM, jd704 said:

I second this. I went to high school in the early-mid 2000s and still saw this kind of homophobia in my rurual, but not Southern, high school. Not a single person was openly gay (several of us have come out since); it would have been absolute social suicide. At one point there was a rumor going around that two girls were sleeping together. It was the worst thing anyone could imagine that they might be lesbians. They were ostracized, despite there being no evidence that they actually were gay/bi. I'm not sure if it was related to this, or if their families just happened to move, but both of them transferred schools. Luckily, by the time my sister started high school 7 years later, students were much more open-minded, and the school even started a GSA.

Edited by April Bloodgate

Semi-fun additional fact I just learned about Everything Sucks: according to a h.s. classmate, Patch Darragh, who plays the principal, went to my actual high school (Ernest W. Seaholm High School, the coolest) and graduated 5 years before me. Which makes me feel even older than this show already made me feel, so... thanks, show.

I hate to be picky* but Dave is incorrect in saying Thomas Riker was a clone: although Riker WAS cloned in the episode Up the Long Ladder, that clone was aborted (though they didn't use the word) before it became mature - Dave's initial thought was correct in saying it was a transporter mishap (in the episode Second Chances) that brought Thomas Riker into existence.

11 hours ago, Fukui San said:

it’s time to at least consider what song would play for a Valued Guest season victory. 

Particularly since it could be a clean sweep victory!

* OK, that's a lie.

2 hours ago, John Potts said:

I hate to be picky* but Dave is incorrect in saying Thomas Riker was a clone: although Riker WAS cloned in the episode Up the Long Ladder, that clone was aborted (though they didn't use the word) before it became mature - Dave's initial thought was correct in saying it was a transporter mishap (in the episode Second Chances) that brought Thomas Riker into existence.

Particularly since it could be a clean sweep victory!

* OK, that's a lie.

Nerd correction cheerfully accepted!

SO excited for this episode as soon as I saw the guest was Shade Court's The Honorable Kara Brown! Well done with the Canon submission!

Did everyone else already know Andy Griffith had such a bad temper? (And also maybe didn't learn lessons? Maybe stop punching the wall after the FIRST time you break your hand?) He always played such mild-mannered characters.

SO excited for this episode as soon as I saw the guest was Shade Court's The Honorable Kara Brown! Well done with the Canon submission!

Did everyone else already know Andy Griffith had such a bad temper? (And also maybe didn't learn lessons? Maybe stop punching the wall after the FIRST time you break your hand?) He always played such mild-mannered characters.

You need to watch "A Face in the Crowd." A uncomfortably prescient take on how TV would enable grossly unqualified demagogues to become political forces. Griffith is really good at being really bad.

2 hours ago, Kerfuffler said:

You need to watch "A Face in the Crowd." A uncomfortably prescient take on how TV would enable grossly unqualified demagogues to become political forces. Griffith is really good at being really bad.

LOVE that movie! Haven't thought about it in years, but you're right on about the uncomfortable modern echoes.

I sounded like a crazy person on my bike this morning as I played along with Game Time.

Some other comments:
"They were separated by sex..."--I had really hoped that sentence would have been ended with "...those who have had it, those who haven't."

Dave's review of NightMan (Night-Man? Knightman?)
Dave: "Skipping ahead ..."
Me" "Noooo!!"

I hope everyone in Hawaii feels better soon! Dave had me very concerned when he tweeted out that selfie last weekend. As much for the resigned-martyr expression on his face as the splotches on his bosom.

I had the EXACT same imdb spoiler experience Sarah had on Janet McTeer's character. I feel like there was a time when a character like that would have been credited as "The Monster" until the episode the reveal is made. But I guess peak TV eh?

Guest GlarkTheUser
6 hours ago, Stowaway said:

I feel like there was a time when a character like that would have been credited as "The Monster" until the episode the reveal is made. But I guess peak TV eh?

Or "Meaty."

I vote for the four episode runs a couple times a year.  I think Daredevil season 2 almost did that with the first arc of the Punisher story, and it was great.  It would solve the problem of having to have an unstoppable villain every season.  There could be average or middling villains if it only takes four episodes to stop them.

2 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I love that, not only did Tara include "Precious To Me" in the game, she used the even crappy version of it produced by Serge Menkin.

This phrasing suggests that there's a good version.

But "Gordy" is so close to "Gordon," which is a great dog name, but I guess that proves your point.

Also, there is a "Great British Bake Off, except with people who can't bake": the current Stand Up 2 Cancer Specials, whereby celebrities, and also Teri Hatcher, bake terribly to raise money. 

Edited by Corgi-ears
15 hours ago, jima said:

"I just want to brag about the fact that I've read most of the book"

644876.jpg.023dabc88e0911d1b2e3787991c17ff3.jpg

I plan to finish it too! I just didn't manage to before the podcast. There's a LOT of TV and internet out there...

I can verify that Stephen Colbert's "Charlene" was in Rock Band. I know because it was a very short, simple song, which means that it was the only song I could get 100% on when playing guitar on the hardest setting.

I really loved the Canon submission this week! Kudos to Hallie for making me want to rewatch The West Wing when I'm still behind on all the new tv because I can only handle like, two shows.