Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

Love Tara's versions of the musical stings!

As I'm old enough to remember Dynasty the first time, I hope they retain its "The acting was ropey but the make up was PERFECT!" ethos.

(Hope everything is OK with the Coles)

Good job all. Love it when my two favorite websites come together in one podcast.

Was this Game Time planned for when Dave might not be present ? Because there were a lot of names to pronounce in this one.

Fun episode, everyone! I liked how Tara lowered the levels of music for the voiceover parts. A real pro. The one thing I missed... the guest-introductory "YAY!" But Tara might have been recovering from belting out the opening music. Hope all's well so that Dave can return in short order.

Joan's Pen 4-Evah!

Did anyone else try to find Undercover High and fail? Apparently it has been postponed indefinitely... http://cjonline.com/news/local/education/2017-10-04/premiere-ae-docuseries-undercover-high-about-highland-park-postponed

I loved the charming, "inmates running the asylum" vibe this week had. Well done.

You know, if CW wanted to re-boot a nighttime soap from the 80s, it should have chosen "Falcon Crest" which had business shenanigans, but it was all about wines and wineries, so perhaps less dreary and more appealing than oil/energy?

On 10/11/2017 at 10:54 AM, Fukui San said:

Now we know what the podcast will sound like in the post-apocalypse!

No, because any true fan would know that come the apocalypse, Tara will be dead. :P 

That said, Tara singing the show's music was the cutest thing ever. 

I might vote for an all Rob Lowe Community. The absurd seriousness he brought to The Grinder, as well as the extreme silliness he got to display on Parks & Rec demonstrate a real comedic range that you'd need to be able to cover multiple roles; he's much more belieavable in the 'cute guy' role than Joel McHale; he'd pull off all the Dean's various costumes with an aplomb never granted that character; and, even though he has had a long and successful career in both television and movies, he never acts like he's so much better than everything and everyone around him, like that effing show did.  And, on a very shallow note, he'd have to do a lot of running in the various paintball episodes, and I'd like to see that.

• Love 1
On 10/13/2017 at 1:35 AM, LAFR said:

Love it when my two favorite websites come together in one podcast.

Same. The enduring connections between former TWoP writers is one of my favourite things on the interwebz.

I thought for sure Tara would go for an all Rob Lowe Friends. I'd love to see it on Melrose Place. Can't you just see him ripping off that wig and showing his scar? And we'd be sure to get some sweet Rob-on-Rob action. (Apologies if I'm the only one finding that thought appealing.)

• Love 1

Although I've never seen any episodes of My So Called Life, (as far as I know, it wasn't shown here) as the episode was being described I was thinking "So The Simpsons ripped off this episode?" and then Tara (or was it Sarah?) mentioned that no, this was the rip off (plus the call backs to Dead Poet's Society, which I was never a huge fan of). The whole, "Defy Authority! But obviously not my authority - that would be uncool!" is something that makes me grate my teeth.

I like to imagine that the Nonac music playing at the end was a particularly impressive piece of harmonic singing by Tara, and not the original. Don't ruin my Headcanon!

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, John Potts said:

"Defy Authority! But obviously not my authority - that would be uncool!" is something that makes me grate my teeth.

/cosigned

Dead Poets Society is the film equivalent of a "Question Authority" bumper sticker, and all narratives that flow from that trope are poisonous. I've never seen an episode of My So Called Life, either. But hey, I've seen every episode of Firefly four times, so that evens out, right?

I didn't want to think I could agree that an MSCL episode could go into the Nonac, but just listening to the Vic Racine character talk reminded me why I always felt so uncomfortable watching this episode when I was younger. I always related most to Brian here, and I felt bad about it--not for relating to Brian in general, as I love him as the flawed character he is, but because the show clearly wanted me to think that he was too much of a 'conformist' to really benefit from Vic's insipid everything. Though this episode was pretty terrible, I will say that I totally buy a bunch of high schoolers' fascination with Vic. And I have been that person (Brian), in college, wondering what the hell the other kids were smoking, when they would get enamored with the (usually philosophy) professor spouting absolute bull from the front of the lecture hall in the interest of being 'edgy.' The socks might've been a step too far, though; I feel like teens would be unimpressed on that front, at least.

• Love 1

The MSCL episode reminds me of the 7th Heaven episode "The Magic of Gershwin". We're supposed to believe high school students willingly go to after school detention to hear Gershwin music and talk about their feelings and music and society. The fact it features the horrible Ruthie crying (in theory, Mackenzie Rosman can't pull off crying) over the deplorable Martin doesn't help.

• Love 1
On 10/20/2017 at 10:24 PM, LJD said:

Guys this pivot to podcasts is so depressing. The content is great but who has this kind of time?

We understand that podcasts aren't for everyone, but right now we're allocating our limited resources this way due to market forces in the online ad space. That said: Extra Hot Great has always been a podcast and not written content, and this episode is four minutes long.

• Love 2

Bev90210's Cindy Walsh, Samantha Sanders, Jackie Taylor and Felice Martin take a trip to NYC to see Brenda in a provocative new Broadway play. Jackie is aghast at Cindy's dowdy outfits and takes her to Saks to buy something glam and sexy to wear to the theatre. Felice spends several hours touring St Patrick's Cathedral. Samantha does a 'Where Are They Now?' interview on the Today Show along with other former stars of Hartley House. At Brenda's play, Cindy cries with pride, Felice is scandalised by the nudity and profanity, Samantha is mobbed by gay men (who see her as a queer icon), and Jackie goes home with a millionaire philanthropist (the two have fallen in love at first sight).