Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

Related to the "show about the bananas world of a famous person" of The Other Two, there was a very short-lived show on Vice called What Would Diplo Do, in which (your fave and mine) James Van Der Beek plays Diplo. It was an engaging and entertainingly goofy show and JVDB once again gets to demonstrate his excellent sense of humour.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vbe48x/watch-the-series-premiere-of-what-would-diplo-do

In Pose's slight defense, I think the inclusion of white dudes is more than a network note. In some of the pre-release publicity, the show creators did talk about how they want Pose to center on a key paradox of 1980s America: how, even just in NYC, you have the excesses of Wall Street on the one hand, and the thriving-but-socioeconomically-devastated communities that are the drag houses on the other. This suggests that the show might even be interested in demonstrating how the rise of neoliberalism in Reagan-era America has impacted marginal communities. (Indeed, one critique of a film like Paris is Burning, Pose's obvious predecessor, was that it tends to show drag and house culture in a kind of bubble, and thus made the balls seem like escapist fantasies as opposed to, say, a survival tactic in late stage capitalism).

Now, does this mean that the show has indeed made this link? Probably not, and at least not in Season 1. I suspect that the show also found itself grappling with how to do so. Early on, many watchers were worried that Stan would actually end up harming or even murdering Angel, which would certainly show in a very literal way how capitalism has a disproportionately destructive effect on people of color. But the show runners have said, I think, they will not do this. So the show may still be trying to figure out how to make better thematic use of the juxtaposition of rich-white-yuppiedom with house culture. In the meantime, though, you are indeed right to say that the whole Stan and Patty storyline is OHMIGWAD SO BORING. 

Edited by Corgi-ears

How old is that "Classic" game at the end? Five Years? (Now I think about it, I've been submitting Games for around three years, I think, so it must be older than that). Would it even be allowed today given it's from a film not a TV show?

As the French representative, you'd think I'd have something to say about Agatha Christie's Criminal Games. Especially since it is broadcast on a major network on prime time here in France, and yet... I have never seen a frame of it! I wouldn't even consider it, to me Christie must be British. I feel slightly ashamed. I have however seen "money heist" or "La casa del papel" and I concur with Dave. Claro muy bien! I disagree on Midsomer Murders though, it is so slow I just can't.

I have absolutely no recollection of White Dragon being broadcast over here, which probably doesn't say much for its quality. In fact, John Simm seems to be attracted to action/thrillers that don't get a second series (Prey, Intruders, Collateral, Trauma) ever since his breakout role in Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes.

Midsummer Murders is notorious for being a (fictional) county that is apparently genteel but with the highest concentration of murderers - and particularly elaborate murders, too. It's not enough to kill their victim, they have to tie them to a wine rack and use a catapult to fire their wine collection at them*. It's truly amazing there's anybody still living there.

Personal gain was something they mentioned all the time on Charmed, but it almost never stopped them. The time when they created their perfect man using magic (I guess they were going to share his... attentions?) would be a particularly bad example.

I feel Melinda Kathleen Reese should sue Dave's use of (I guess?) Google Translate to sing the Charmed theme song at the end!

* Something like this was an actual murder shown - not quite sure what the actual cause of death was, though. Multiple lacerations causing exsanguination? Crucifiction?

Edited by John Potts
21 hours ago, Tara Ariano said:

As we mentioned, it was called Strangers on ITV.

Which I don't recall either (I would have expected to recognise the description, even if I didn't see it). John Simm seems to keep getting roles that are completely unmemorable (at least in my mind).

On 2/13/2019 at 6:34 PM, John Potts said:

Midsummer Murders is notorious for being a (fictional) county that is apparently genteel but with the highest concentration of murderers - and particularly elaborate murders, too. It's not enough to kill their victim, they have to tie them to a wine rack and use a catapult to fire their wine collection at them*. It's truly amazing there's anybody still living there.

* Something like this was an actual murder shown - not quite sure what the actual cause of death was, though. Multiple lacerations causing exsanguination? Crucifiction?

I remember this! As I recall, the victim was staked to a lawn with croquet hoops and then pelted with wine via trebuchet. And the same episode also featured somebody being restrained inside a TV and drowned in wine...?! That whole episode was like somebody's weird cheese nightmare.

As somebody who lives in the area where 'Midsomer murders' is filmed, I was perhaps irrationally excited to hear it get a shout-out on the pod. In my defence, not a lot really happens in Buckinghamshire...

Edited by Dame sans merci

Granted, Tamal's cake was pretty crazy, but if you've never had sticky date pudding, you are missing out. This recipe is the standard in Australia: https://www.stephaniealexander.com.au/what-to-cook/recipes/sticky-toffee-pudding/ 

Warm, sweet cakey-pudding, toffee sauce, vanilla ice-cream melting into it... so god-damn good.

My favourite reality tv final moment - the first season of Australian Masterchef, when adorable little pepperpot Julie sees her bean-pole husband and sons after winning.

Edited by helent
spelling
  • Love 1

I could take the moral high ground and not respond to Dave's insuanation about insults and my fine nation (France) but i ain't classy, so I'll just say that a person who couldn't pronounce any insults with more than 2 syllables shouldn't be so smug. 

* mic drop*

• LOL 4

I'm so glad that you've discovered Taskmaster; indeed, I'm a little envious when people get to experience it for the first time. Little Alex Horne, the co-host, is really the genius behind the show. I get the sense in which it can indeed be described as "dumb" (in that the tasks -- "conceal this pineapple on your person" -- are often absurd), but the editing is brilliant, as are some of the lateral thinking-style solutions. The recent Series 7 is many longtime viewers' fave season, but they are really all great. But, no matter what you do, DO NOT watch the US remake, which somehow managed to continue the tradition of US channels fucking up British imports.

I wonder if Would I Lie to You? -- which is usually the other fave panel show for a lot of, um, panel show watchers, and which has David Mitchell as a team captain -- might also be up your alley. Probably less so, but the next time you want to go down a Youtube rabbit hole...

I do believe that "A trip to the dentist" should have been voted into the canon but hey, you are entitled to your opinions. It's your canon. That being said, if king of queens had gotten in, I would have rioted the streets yelling for a recall for my episode of Psych! 😉

I second the Taskmaster envy. And the first season is easily the weakest, so if you loved that one you're going to ADORE the rest.

I also second the recommendation to avoid Taskmaster US like the plague. It's sooooo bad.

(edited)

The first thing I ever saw Michael Sheen in was that bonkers miniseries dave mentions. It's remarkable he was able to have a serious career after that.

Edited by Cekrypton1
Spelling.

I appreciated 'After Life'. I couldn't like it because I found the subject matter hard going at the moment but I enjoyed most of the tertiary characters. I liked 'Derek' mostly too though. My personal context is worlds away from anyone discussing it on the podcast so maybe that accounts for a different interpretation. No arguments that Gervais can be a self-indulgent wanker however! And now I feel self-indulgent for typing this!

I liked After Life. In fact, I *especially* liked the beginning parts that the EHG team disliked. It was rough, the main character was angry and sometimes that's how people react to personal tragedy. What I didn't like was when the tone turned and became more sweet and cliched. Also, they need to explain Ricky's character's role in the death of the homeless guy. What were we to make of that?

Edited by Ottis

I'm actually ok with the end of Supernatural, I have been ok with it for 10 years now! But I appreciate the concern. I absolutely agree with Sarah about Jared's hair, just know that the current hairstyle is far from the worst ( check out season 6 if you do'nt believe me. Actually, don't, season 6 is a bloody mess). 

• Love 2

I think Jared Padalecki is super cute, if only because he's the rare working actor in my preferred height range, but that hair. . . early on I thought he was trying to cover up the enormous forehead. But at this point it has to be that he's trying to assert his heterosexuality through heinous fashion choices.

• Love 1

haha, I actually like Jared's hair quite a bit. Aside from season ten at least when it looked like Sam had been attacked viciously with a flat iron every episode. That was atrocious. Now it looks much bouncier and floofy

Edited by salmondean

If this is the place to post about the podcast now, I'd like to [GAME TIME SPOILER MUSIC]

Spoiler

offer my condolences to Sarah D. Bunting on her Buffalo Billsian close but no cigar performance in Game Time. We were all rooting for you! Maybe next season. I still want to know what her victory music would be.

• Love 1

I'm gonna miss the weekly threads... though partly that's from my narcissistic desire to comment on how well (or badly) my latest game went over! Expect another in the near future (but not next week, as we're between seasons, so it's probably one of Tara's Games).

• Love 1

I know I am super late to this party, but is there any way to still get the Mark I shows? Dougal the Hero’s links no longer work. I wish I had been just a bit earlier to even think to look. I’ve already heard every EHG Mark II, and I need mooooooore!!  Can anyone advise?

For the latest episode (7/31/2019 - #261, The Boys), when you started on the NONAC submission, I assumed it was the Star Trek TNG episode in which Crusher gets space raped, gestates a kid in a day or two, and then the kid grows up and becomes a space diety or something in a week.

I had no memory that there was a different, much worse episode in which Dr. Crusher gets space raped. A worthy NONAC addition.

Is Gates McFadden OK?

On 7/31/2019 at 11:23 AM, Fukui San said:

the Star Trek TNG episode in which Crusher gets space raped, gestates a kid in a day or two, and then the kid grows up and becomes a space diety or something in a week.

That wasn't Crusher; that was Troi.  Crusher wasn't even there when it happened, as it was the first episode of season 2; the one season with Dr. Pulaski.