Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, theodyssey said:

The singing/sound effects on the podcasts are pretty endearing, but is there seriously only one person in your entire team who can edit audio files?!

Dave had the sound clips on his computer and there wasn't an easy way for him to share them with Sarah.

I watched the first season of Better Things as it aired, so my memory of the episode may not be perfect. But I remember getting super hung up on the way the guidance councilor talked to the daughter about college. The community college system in California is so much bigger, and well-established, and more respected than it is anywhere else in the country, no one talks to a high school student in CA like college is a lost cause. And high school students don't feel that going to a community college is shameful the way they seem to everywhere else I've lived. Kids go to community colleges just to save money, or with the hope of trading up to a better school than they were accepted to; I even knew people who got letters from their University of California campus of choice that basically said, "Consider yourself officially accepted, but we're a bit over-enrolled right now, so go to a community college for your freshman year."

It felt like literal truths were being sacrificed in order to get at emotional truths. Really important emotional truths. . . but also kind of important literal truths. I felt the same way about the Mormon character who's floating around during these episodes. On the one hand she was a refreshing pop culture take on Mormonism, but on the other hand the show got so many basic things so completely wrong it made me pull my hair out. It's frustrating when an excellent show disregards the way things really are in order to punch home some point; it shows the seams, and makes the show feel manipulative.

I'm not usually one for long comments, but it turned out I had opinions! Sources: I grew up Mormon, in California, was one step shy of being a high school dropout, graduated from Berkeley.

Edited by Stowaway

Really liked hearing Tara's thoughts on "Mom". Sort of like her, I got sucked into the show when TBS was re-airing it between seasons one and two. And at first, it was just light, fluffy, rainy Saturday afternoon TV, but it has gotten better and better as it's gone on. Now, it's one of my favorite shows and one I look forward to watching every week.

Wow-a week or two back home really recharged Dave's accent. Welcome back!

Edited to add: The canon entry for Better Things has given me tremendous anxiety for my daughter who just turned 8 yesterday.

Edited by Cekrypton1

If it helps, Natasha Leggero has explicitly said Louis CK has never forced her to watch him masturbate. So despite the rumors,  no woman has come forward to accuse him of any harassment or assault. (Yet). So for now, I don’t see any moral problems with enjoying Better Things. 

4 hours ago, Kerfuffler said:

Welcome back, Dave, we missed you. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Yeah, I was wondering if I should look for a condolence thread for Dave. Because seriously, that't terribly sad to hear. Sorry for your loss.

Dave, I'm so sorry. I was afraid it was something like this taking you away, and my father died two weeks ago, AND that's how I deal with things, so I was 100% there for your snapping.

I probably would not have watched Mom past two or three episodes if it weren't for Allison Janney. I like some of the things they did with the daughter in that she actually gave her baby up for adoption and didn't just go on like nothing had happened. After that, I'm glad they cut the kids out with a rare appearance now. It's just so much better without them. Also, one of the regulars is Jaime Pressly who I have really grown to love on this show.

Dave, I'm so sorry. I was afraid it was something like this taking you away, and my father died two weeks ago, AND that's how I deal with things, so I was 100% there for your snapping.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Jeff, thank you so much for telling them how great American Vandal is! It's honestly so well done and straight up hilarious while never actually playing it like a joke. I really need to know what Sara thinks of the show because I think she'll love it.

I have never watched Better Things but I was getting all chocked up during the Canon presentation. I'm a sucker for mother daughter moments.

Dave so sorry for you lose. That just really sucks.

On 10/27/2017 at 10:14 AM, Tara Ariano said:

There's a plot line in the second season of "One Mississippi" that plays out pretty much as the blind item/Roseanne Barr describe in the Variety article.

I feel like there's definitely some cognitive dissonance (on my part, and Adlon's) when watching "Better Things," especially when there's a scene when a male friend tries to kiss Sam, she shuts it down sternly and he continues to press her. He cares more about his dick than their friendship, and I feel like screaming because it was co-written by C.K. Come on!

Very sad news about Strega/Susan T. Her Angel reviews were one of my favourite things at TWoP and I've really enjoyed following her on Twitter the last few years. RIP.

Indeed. I once went over to her place with some TWOP folks to watch "Echoes of the Mind" - the episode of Magnum P.I. with Sharon Stone, and were amazed by how well that episode held up. She was awesome.

• Love 1

I liked the new Nonac music, though I'd be sad to never hear the old song again. By the same rules that made Leo DiCaprio the answer for "Growing Pains," shouldn't Hilary Swank be the answer for 90210?

I just watched Too Funny to Fail after hearing about it on the podcast and it was absolutely fantastic. I also knew nothing about The Dana Carvey Show beforehand. It was like discovering a hidden cache of classic SNL-but-weirder sketches, and also really interesting to hear all these now-famous comedians reflecting back on it.

Better Things was robbed (though I get it)! Interestingly, Jeff's point about the different threads not always being necessary for the story is kind of the point of the show sometimes. It's not the style of it to be about The Plot and have everything tied together. It has a wonderful, lived-in feel to it. And definitely woman-centric (how could it not be?), so it's unfortunate it got the panel that it did. Not to say men can't judge shows about women or vice versa, of course, but they're not exactly the #1 intended audience.

And American Vandal is a national treasure.

As great as all of these ideas are, Mr. Guillaume had a stroke in the late 90s. It was written into Sports Center, but he was unable to act for the last few years of his life.

Dave's time on "Two Spotted Dicks" has had a lasting impact on his analogy making. How long will it last?

"Hack" filmed in my neighborhood when I lived in Philadelphia. Production was constantly towing my car out of their way, because apparently they could just do that. I was not sad when it was cancelled.

April Ludgate would totally catfish Jerry Gergich as the kid that his family sponsored from Costa Rica years ago, who has fallen on to hard times due to the Costa Rica civil war (which there isn't one). She sends Jerry to the the Costa Rica Embassy in Washington several times to get or file paper work to get him into the states (which is never the right stuff), she bumps in to Jerry in Washington each time and gets him to buy her coffee. She tells herself she is doing this just for the coffee, but really she misses the old gang, and Ron would never ever fall for this.

• Love 2

Brock Samson from the Venture bros. could really use a evil twin, I'm thinking alternate universe (but the twin has a black mullet) . I'm thinking after a brutal fight being brought to a draw, they would probably go out for a drink.