Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

Defenders suffered from a vague, fantastical, mostly boring villain, and villain plot. Aside from a few vague references to New York "falling" (and really to much of the rest of the country, is that such a bad thing?), The Hand was mostly digging under a building - and the only way they get what they want is if Danny goes down there. So the most effective strategy would be ... to ignore them? This was a major misstep by the writers, and gave the good guys almost nothing to play off. This left the only interest part of Defenders being how they meet each other and interact. That part was good.

This post in EETV seems relevent here given the Whedon reference.  I mean, seriously, WTF!??  I'm so glad I never watched this show.

21 hours ago, slf said:

Oh God, I still gag whenever I remember Tim Minnear ecstatically relaying Whedon's pitch to him for Firefly that was about Inara:

"She had this magic syringe. She would take this drug. And if she were, for instance, raped, the rapist would die a horrible death. The story was that she gets kidnapped by Reavers and when Mal finally got to the ship to save her from the Reavers, he gets on the Reaver ship and all the Reavers are dead. Which would suggest a kind of really bad assault. At the end of the episode, he comes in after she's been horribly brutalized, and he comes in and he gets down on his knee, and he takes her hand. And he treats her like a lady. And that's the kind of stuff that we wanted to do. It was very dark. And this was actually the first story that Joss pitched to me when he asked me to come work on the show. He said, 'These are the kind of stories we're going to do.'"

Awesome. Inara was supposed to get gang-raped which would teach Mal how to be a nice person. Just...ugh. Not to mention all the other weird rape stuff in his works (Spike's attempted rape of Buffy and how that was treated by other characters (including Whedon who went with the ol' chestnut "it was abusive on both sides"), the metaphorical rape of SIneya that led to the creation of the slayers, all the rape on Firefly, and literally all of Dollhouse), his treatment of Charisma Carpenter, or his lack of representation for woc. 

Whedon's always creeped me out.

Daria was a fantastic choice.

Brendan Small would obviously be terrible at this. After all, he and Duane told those kids (through song!) not to put marbles up their nose, and they all immediately put marbles up their nose.

• Love 1

Dave, the dystopian future is already here. On the Netflix app for Amazon Fire TV, once you select your profile it will play a trailer for whatever their new thing is unless you quickly scroll away from it 

5 hours ago, April Bloodgate said:

Sarah gave me exactly the information I needed about The Defenders: Since I only care about Jessica Jones, I'll just read a plot summary to be caught up for JJ season 2. Thanks for giving me back 8 hours of my life.

I'll save you fifteen minutes and say not to even bother with the plot summary. I can't think of a single thing that happens in The Defenders that will have a long-term impact on Jessica Jones. Krysten Ritter is hands down the best thing about The Defenders, but she's mostly just used to cover up lazy writing. Like: "Hey, should we do another pass on the script and make the plot make more sense, the villains less lame, and Iron Fist less of a twat?" "Naw, we'll just have Jessica Jones say, 'Nothing we're doing makes sense, these villains are lame, and you're a twat' and then we don't have to do anything."

I love Forcenings, I love Monty, and it turns out I love Dave ranting about dessert like a one-toothed Appalachian pepaw. And an outstanding Game Time to top it off! 10/10

I have an embarrassingly high tolerance for cheesy "urban fantasy" novels, and just listening to the description of that Orlando Bloom Amazon show made me want to slap someone. So who could it possibly be for?

You all deserve medals for watching that episode of MASH.  I have always hated it.  I don't remember when I first saw it, I think I too young when it first aired, but maybe not.

I'm surprised no one picked Dark Matter for the TGIFF.  (Not really, but I would have loved to have it been included).  SPACE!

Go Monty! I must be about the same age because I totally knew the answers to the same questions immediately from the description. Of course, playing from home is much easier.

From now on, I'd love to hear Sarah to wail, "Espace."

God, the Animal Kingdom theme is so cringy.     It's like the audio equivalent of Sean Young dressed as Catwoman.  

And it's especially tragic because the show is grrrrreat and the music during the episodes is usually on point.  

Speaking of the Animal Kingdom movie, @Sarah D. Bunting, did you ever watch Bloodline?  The show is uneven, but S1 Ben Mendelsohn is just hypnotic.  He's just all sharp edges and crackling energy.  

Go Monty! I must be about the same age because I totally knew the answers to the same questions immediately from the description. Of course, playing from home is much easier.

From now on, I'd love to hear Sarah to wail, "Espace."

I agree, go Monty! I originally mentioned in my game that the themes came from the 70s and 80s but Dave must have thought it was too easy. We stopped and kept original theme songs after that period.
I concur "Espaaaaaace" would be really good.

The show is uneven, but S1 Ben Mendelsohn is just hypnotic

Peak TV means I haven't given that one a look, but he's really good -- and if you've seen Mendelsohn in anything else, you think Hatosy's performance is even more impressive. 

Thanks for the accent compliment! The words are going to be totally wrong but I can bullshit the sound. Hee. (If someone does a Spanish-language verzh of this game, look out.)

I am so proud! I should get a medal for making you listen to QUALITY French songs on an American podcast. Sarah has an excellent accent by the way :D

I remember how shocked I was when I learned Dallas had a totally different theme song in French, since the original music is so iconic. Of course, to my French hubby, the French version WAS the real version. Glad they stopped that practice after the 80s...

http://exstreamist.com/want-to-turn-off-the-auto-play-trailers-on-netflix/

From the article

In order to put in a request to get this functionality turned off (or updated), get in touch with Netflix via live chat here. Please be respectful, and remember you’re speaking to a human on the other line. But dropping them a note mentioning that you’re unhappy with these auto-playing trailers is a great way for a “power in numbers” change to be made to the service.

The auto play "feature" is extremely annoying. Just like iTunes when they put a big old banners on all my playlists with pictures of the album/songs, it's just as annoying. And it really sucks when companies decide what their consumer base would "like" and just put it in without an on/off option. I hate having to "opt out" of something I never "opted in" for.

I loved that this episode was added to the nonac. MASH was on all the time when I was growing up- to the point that the theme song meant I had half hour until bedtime. I saw this episode way too young and Alan Alda in canoe full of limbs just scarred me.  

I think Baring C. Gold sounds like a Mr. Burns pastiche on Itchy and Scratchy
That Orlando Bloom show sounds like an idea sneezed by Neil Gaiman and he threw the tissue in the trash, and then at some point, someone from Amazon snuck into his house and stole it away.
That Sarah still can't not laugh during the Nonac celebratory theme is one reason why I always root for the Noncac to win (win?).

Gordon honey, Jackson Galaxy is from Manhattan but now lives in Colorado. I agree about Portland though. And I know some dogs....er, doogs...that get along very well with cats. But you do you. Excellent job on the podcast.

2 hours ago, Cekrypton1 said:

That Sarah still can't not laugh during the Nonac celebratory theme is one reason why I always root for the Noncac to win (win?).

Me too! Sarah laughing sets me off and then I'm cackling uncontrollably. I'm always disappointed when the Nonac submissions don't get voted in. This one sounds like it really deserved it, though.

2 hours ago, Corgi-ears said:

We all know it's not "Tara," it's "Lady Daves," so I don't even know who this imposter is, but it's not Gordon, smh etc etc.

He uses both all the time. He will also use the singular and plural version of the same word in the same situation. He's not consistent.

36 minutes ago, David T. Cole said:

He uses both all the time. He will also use the singular and plural version of the same word in the same situation. He's not consistent.

In Gordon Lightfoot's own words, "I thinks you'd be impressed that I talks at all. Doogs not usually do that." (EHG #76, and I apologize for being weird enough to know that.)

Edited by Stowaway
On 9/5/2017 at 6:05 AM, Cekrypton1 said:

That Orlando Bloom show sounds like an idea sneezed by Neil Gaiman and he threw the tissue in the trash, and then at some point, someone from Amazon snuck into his house and stole it away.

? Lol. God that is so apt.