Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: Whatcha Unpackin?

• Start Topic

Miley Cyrus goes undercover in the workroom to spy on the new cast of queens competing for $100,000. The first test is to create signature looks from materials belonging to former Drag Race legends.

Airs February 28, 2019.

(edited)

I'm so happy the show is here. These queens are amazing! So much talent!

I love how this show knows how to honor it's history. The idea of luggage left by the previous queens is so cute! 

Kahanna Montrese's look was the worst imo. 

Right now my favorites include Plastique Tiara (house of Edwards), Shuga Cain, A'Keria, Honey Davenport (love her drag daughters: Bob, and Monet) and Miss Vanjie. 

Edited by Temperance
(edited)

Really good premiere, alot talent this season with might turn out as a surprise since, for some reason, alot people werent expecting much from this cast.

The mini challenge was just ok tho, and the main challenge was strong, but as a famouns queen here in Brazil pointed out on her instagram storie while watching the show live : thats no way some of these looks were sewed on such a short time, like, impossible. So either they got more time or as it seems, some of them used some key pieces they already have or already done on the luggage and just edited/added to it. 

Anyway, from what it was presented, I agree with the top and bottoms, I would probably swap either Plastic or Vangie (they were good, but a safe good) with Ivy (she was one of the queens that actually looked like she made something out of a bunch of stuff and the final result was interesting). But, again, taking in consideration the final result, Brooke Lynn was the best and killed the runway.

Bottom clearly Soju and Kahanna not only had the worst looks but the worst make ups.. Kahanna pretty much nailed the lip sync and yep, Soju is nice, but not ready for this. She will be fine, this will boost her youtube channel for sure (the best plataform for her right now).

BTW: Yep, Silky is being too much, she can take it down a bit but I really laugh with her, specially on untucked she messing with Kahanna´s name... Like, yes, it can get on other people nerves, but it can be good to have a queen like this to make sure the others will be aware and step up/show their personalities more because I would rather watch a Drag Queen being extra as Silky than a bunch of Mercedezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Edited by DanielleC.
  • Love 2

I would have preferred someone else to be in the bottom in place of Soju.  Her outfit was horribly made, but it had a point of view and wasn't just another bathing suit.  But I guess she probably wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway and she wasn't a great lipsyncher.  

• Love 8

I know Soju deserved to be in the bottom and didn't perform as well as Kahanna but I was still sad about her elimination.  I really enjoyed her personality and thought she had an interesting view of point.  Also, I thought her makeup in her promo look was really pretty.

Similar to Soju, I have a feeling that Mercedes is not long for this show.  Hopefully both will be able to use their newly-formed Drag Race connections and post-show gigs to improve.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, DanielleC. said:

and

Love, love, love Miss Vanji! She's adorable, and I enjoyed every second of her trash talking at each drag queen's entrance, while hiding. I didn't realize last season how teeny tiny she is! I'm so happy Ru's giving her another shot. 

• Love 10

Scarlett is a cute boy, but really, really needs titty drawing lessons. Did not love her walking in outfit either. 

Silky is a lot, but so far I kind of love her. Erm.... halfway through. Nope, she better turn it down or it’s going to be far too much far too soon. 

I like Nina & Brooke. Not sure about anybody else yet. 

• Love 6
(edited)

While I did find Silky a bit much, I was impressed her outfit looked as good as it did, considering how much of the time she wasn't focused. I think they must have had more time than they showed.

Soju's outfit really contricted her movements. It would have benefitted her to have some reveal/body suit underneath. I wish her good luck with her career!

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Ruby Gillis said:

I would have preferred someone else to be in the bottom in place of Soju.  Her outfit was horribly made, but it had a point of view and wasn't just another bathing suit.  But I guess she probably wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway and she wasn't a great lipsyncher.  

I agree - she at least was an interesting queen. I don't have any real negative feelings for Kahana Montrese (??) but she seemed very run of the mill - nothing interesting or unique about her.

7 hours ago, heckkitty said:

Scarlett is a cute boy, but really, really needs titty drawing lessons. Did not love her walking in outfit either. 

Her introductory outfit had to be one of the ugliest things ever to walk through that door - and her makeup! Ouch! It was top to bottom a hideous makeup job.

• Love 10

I was starting to get overwhelmed by how many queens were in the work room. I'm not complaining though - I'm all for having lots of contestants because it gives more people the opportunity to be on the show and learn, and selfishly that means the show will be on for a while (imagine if we started with only ten queens - the show would be over before you know it!).

I enjoyed seeing past queens during the photo shoot too!

I agreed with whichever queen said they were excited to see everyone get out of drag and turn into boys. I love that too! It's amazing to see the transformation.

I can see how Silky is a lot to be around. We only saw a fraction of the time that they spent in the work room so I can only imagine how annoying it was to listen to her yelling for hours during just the first episode.

I am not a huge Miley Cyrus fan so I wasn't thrilled about her presence, but I appreciate that she was so supportive of everyone and told them to be themselves.

I didn't love the huge sleeves on Ru's runway dress but I can see why she liked that fabric. It was so blingy even from a distance.

There are a lot of beautiful fishy queens this season.

I didn't love Plastique Tiara's flowery runway look but she has such a pretty face. This is only the third time that we've had two Asian queens in one season (S4: Phi Phi O'Hara and Jiggly Caliente, S10: Asia O'Hara and Yuhua).

Brook Lynn Hytes' superhero look was simple but effective. She looked so fierce.

Honey Davenport's pink leopard print dress was simple but the giant flower on her head was great.

Ariel Versace's Poison Ivy look was immediately recognizable.

Yvie Oddly's iridescent Barbie look was interesting, but mostly because of the fabric she got.

A'Kheria Davenport's black and gold look was a little simple. I was sure the judges would say that it was just a leotard.

Scarlett Envy looked gorgeous. That red dress and the blonde hair were very old Hollywood glamour.

Oh, Soju. When she said her plan was to create a hanbok and that she wouldn't need any cinching or padding, I thought GIRL, the judges are going to hate that! Vanjie even warned her to create a silhouette.

Ra'Jah O'Hara looked like a sparkly disco superhero.

Mercedes Iman Diamond's was just a leotard with a cape. I agreed with whichever judge said that her makeup needs work. Her forehead was an entirely different color than her chin.

Shuga Cain looked like a singer in a girl group. The hair and dress were cute.

Vanessa Vanjie Mateo definitely looked confident on the runway so I was glad to hear her say she felt confident too.

Silky Nutmeg Ganache's sequined cape and skirt were definitely sparkly.

Nina West had the right attitude - even if you don't love what you're wearing, your job is to work it. And even though it wasn't the greatest dress, it fit her well and her figure looked great.

Kahanna Montrese's outfit was a bra and a leotard. I was sure the judges would read her for not putting enough effort into her costume. And what was with the rhinestones stopping a few inches from the top? Either bead it all the way to the top or wear those fishnets with a skirt or hot pants aka something that isn't a leotard.

Brook Lynn deserved the win this week. And DAMN, a 7 day trip to Paris?! I'd definitely take that over a gift certificate!

Between Soju and Kahanna, I thought that Kahanna had a better chance of winning the LSFYL because her outfit gave her more mobility. The ONE thing that I think All Stars does right is it allows the queens to change into a different outfit for the lip sync.

I thought Kahanna's dancing/performane was too frantic and desperate for my taste. On top of that, bad back handsprings are a pet peeve of mine. I hate seeing dancers and cheerleaders do bad back handsprings and I hate seeing adult drag queens do them too.

• Love 5

Silky had one of my favorite MTQ videos, but she is trying way too hard to be interesting and it just feels desperate. She is giving me Laganja vibes big-time. Hopefully she eventually grows out of it like Laganja did.

• Love 4

I was sorry to see Koju go, but preferred to lose her over Kahanna, because I need to be able to look at his pretty, pretty face some more. 

This is not something I've ever thought about any of the previous queens, but Kahanna is much better looking to me as a boy. Bad makeup job? She looks kind of angular and insect-like as a queen.

Vanjie hiding behind the screen to spy was great. She was being very generous with her advice in the werkroom; no shade, just the truth: "You'd better cinch!" I really hope she sticks around for a while, because I love her talking heads and comments during judging: "I thought I looked stunning last time!"

The queens who were in the bottom at least seemed like they actually made their looks from scraps. Sewing a 50s silhouette cocktail dress or full spandex bodysuit that fits live a glove in a few hours ... I dunno.

• Love 5

I hate to say it, because she seems like a sweet person, but Soju made me deeply uncomfortable.

A cyst on your taint? That's just...horrifying. A friend of mine kept talking about a cyst on the small of his back, and that was gross enough.

She wasn't confident, she wasn't a good lip syncer, and her fashion sense was pretty blah. She's best known for reviewing the show, and she thinks it's a good idea to hit the runway uncinched, untucked, unpadded, and wearing flats?

I feel like there's something kind of missing with her, and that's why she was cast - because the producers knew her oversharing neediness would get people talking.

• Love 4

I wonder what kind of psychological testing they do when casting. Drag Race hasn't had some of the disturbed kind of contestants other reality shows have, but I still wonder how they weed out people likely to have a complete breakdown or go nuts.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was starting to get overwhelmed by how many queens were in the work room. I'm not complaining though - I'm all for having lots of contestants because it gives more people the opportunity to be on the show and learn, and selfishly that means the show will be on for a while (imagine if we started with only ten queens - the show would be over before you know it!).

I don't know, All-Stars 4 seemed to drag out for months on end...

I'm all for large casts, but man, this week's runway felt like a clown car demonstration. Guess I'll just blame the theme and hope for something that really lets the queens shine more as individuals.

• Love 1

I thought Silky should have been in the bottom--her outfit was poorly made, and the fact that she only sequined the front part of her skirt was a much more glaring error then what Montrese' did on her tights.  But I guess she's going to create drama with her obnoxious behavior and so she'll be kept around for awhile.   I'd definitely have preferred to see more of Soju, and I wanted Adam Rippon to show up in drag, not miley.

Honestly, it feels like the show is drowning in it's own self-referential-ism.  Bringing back these queens for the photoshoot, many of whom we just saw on All-Stars (or others, like Pork-Chop and Ongina that we've been waiting to seen on All-Stars forever) was not very charming, and forcing the new gurls to talk about past queens by giving them those trunks was also just sad.  This was done better in S8 with the all-winners photoshoot, and S6 when the large cast received a split-premier (which would have been nice here) and then received materials from past challenges that weren't tied to any fan-favorite queens.  It's all been done before, it was better the first time, and it's too bad that the new girls couldn't actually get a chance to shine in an original challenge without all this baggage.  And now next week is the first acting challenge, and this feels like a slog. There's not enough time to get over the disappointment of all-stars anymore before we are thrown back into more of the same. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Actually, I would've preferred to see more Soju than more Mercedes in the next episode(s)! I was very surprised when, out of the 3 bottom queens, Ru told Mercedes she was safe. She was not so funny in her talking heads and her outfit was literally a swimming suit with a cape that looked like it was made out of my grandma's tablecloth from 1975, accessorized with a string of plastic teething rings put together in the shape of a necklace.

Shuga Cain ("do I really have to say 40?"), Scarlet Envy and Yvie Oddly are my favorite so far, but overall this looks like it'll be a good season, which was much needed in order to restore my faith in RuPaul's Drag Race after that disastrous All Stars.

Edited by stormy weather
  • Love 1

I know someone who knows Silky, and thinks she's awesome, so I'll give her one more episode to settle down.

Love Nina West - how can I not love someone who is inspired by Muppets and Pee Wee Herman?

Scarlet Envy is my eye candy this season for sure.

And since it is the Dragcestry.com season, can someone fill me in on the relationships? Last season we had Bob's daughter Miz Cracker, but this season we have multiple Davenports, an O'Hara and a Montrese. And isn't someone using Davenport as a middle name? I need a flow chart.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
On 3/1/2019 at 2:20 PM, heckkitty said:

She also needs to never do this again:

• Love 1
On 3/1/2019 at 9:15 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Brook Lynn deserved the win this week. And DAMN, a 7 day trip to Paris?! I'd definitely take that over a gift certificate!

When they announced the prize, I literally thought it was a joke at first!  But yay, for this show finally having enough of a budget to hand out nice rewards to the queens.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Matteo said:

When they announced the prize, I literally thought it was a joke at first!  But yay, for this show finally having enough of a budget to hand out nice rewards to the queens.

Me too! I kept waiting for RuPaul to add the Kentucky after Paris. “A trip to Paris......Kentucky.” It will be interesting to see if the other prizes throughout the season continue to be this great. 

• Love 3
(edited)

A trip to Paris is amazing, but I've always thought the contestants appreciated the gift certificates for wigs, shoes, and makeup.

Cash is queen, though!

Edited by 2727
  • Love 2
On 3/1/2019 at 9:29 AM, 2727 said:

This is not something I've ever thought about any of the previous queens, but Kahanna is much better looking to me as a boy. Bad makeup job? She looks kind of angular and insect-like as a queen.

I thought a LOT of the queens were far better-looking as boys than in drag, which is odd. Almost like Ru is auditioning the cast for a new show, like America's Next Top Pit Crewman. UO, but I thought this was the least-impressive first ep in recent memory. So much of the girls' make-up seemed off - too many white foreheads (Vangie incuded), weird eyelashes on Kahanna, and strange lipstick at the edges of Soju's mouth. But Brooke Lynn did look fierce and deserved the win.

And along with the bad make-up theme, wtf was up with Miley Cyrus' fake beard? Seriously? This is a show about gender transformation and the best they could do was a mail order magician's kit?

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, palmaire said:

That had to have been on purpose, right? Like they wanted the queens to recognize her.

That's the best theory because they seriously were not trying at all with the disguise, which sort of bummed me out because they could've done a really good job if they wanted to. Not even necessarily requiring fake facial hair. Either part of the point was for it to be a half-assed "disguise" or they thought they didn't really need to do much because she just needed to seem like random crew person. Maybe they expected the participants to not really pay attention to Random Audio Dude while they were getting ready? Otherwise it seemed set up to take all of 3 seconds for her to be found out.

• Love 1
On 3/1/2019 at 8:57 PM, Ananayel said:

I know someone who knows Silky, and thinks she's awesome, so I'll give her one more episode to settle down.

Love Nina West - how can I not love someone who is inspired by Muppets and Pee Wee Herman?

Scarlet Envy is my eye candy this season for sure.

And since it is the Dragcestry.com season, can someone fill me in on the relationships? Last season we had Bob's daughter Miz Cracker, but this season we have multiple Davenports, an O'Hara and a Montrese. And isn't someone using Davenport as a middle name? I need a flow chart.

Rajah D. O'Hara said that the D stood for Davenport. Both Davenport and O'Hara are both major houses in the Dallas pageant scene. All week I saw the name Honey Davenport posting about the show and thought it was Honey Mahogany coming back until I saw the episode. There was a lot of inside baseball talk about pageants (EOY, Continental, Black Universe) in that first scene, but I am a nerd and relished it.

I live in Minneapolis so can proudly say with expert intel that Mercedes Iman Diamond's drag mother is named Prada Diamond.

• Love 2

As with most first eps there were too many queens for me to remember names and faces (forever love to Tom and Lorenzo's site for screen caps and name) so the only ones I can clearly recall are Miss Vaaaaangie, Plastique, Brook Lynn, Yvie, Silky and Ariel (Jersey represent!). Vangie hiding behind that screen along with her running commentary actually made me LOL.

LOVED seeing queens from past seasons for the photo shoots, Manila especially. I feel bad that Soju had to sashay away, hopefully she can work on her drag (she seems so young) and enjoy the exposure being on the show will no doubt bring.

Miley usually annoys me but she was actually not grating my nerves this one time. Still waiting for her fabulous godmother Dolly Parton to be on this show tho! 

• Love 1
(edited)

Enjoyed the first show. 

Love the first flush of excitement of a first episode and there ARE sooo many girls.  Loving Vanjie and Nina West.   

I'm finding the whole Davenport/O'Hara/Montrese thing to be confusing.  Wish some of the queens would stick to one name or pick a fun last name.  But I understand the significance within the culture.

I don't dislike anyone yet, not even Silky (though, she is MUCH). 

I agree with the winner, this week -- great job. 

All that said, I really wish Soju would've stayed another week. 

I actually thought Kahanna and Mercedes should have been bottom 2 with Mercedes going home -- her outfit and make-up was not good and she doesn't do it for me in her talking heads; even her mini-challenge was rough.

Edited by filmfan2480
  • Love 2
(edited)

I loved Scarlet Envy's entrance outfit....from the ribs down.  Boy Scarlet to me looks like he could be Tammie Brown's younger brother.  Maybe it's the eyebrows?

So happy that Vangie's back, I love her!   Alexis is one of my all-time favorites and boy Vangie gives me a Pitbull vibe.

I can already tell that Nina is going to be the self-doubting whiner a la Eureka who's going for the "nine times" pity saves (it's already worked once).

Ariel is this season's Aquaria, and it looks like she has learned some lessons from Aquaria's run and has come out nicer and more down to earth than Aquaria was at the beginning (I ended up really liking her by the end of the season).

Silky can leave yesterday,

Edited by Sile
  • Love 1
On 3/1/2019 at 2:22 AM, PhoneCop said:

Loved A'Keria's runway look—very '80s Storm, with maybe a touch of Aunty Entity.

"Cyst on my taint" will not be this year's "Vanjie...," but thanks for playing, Soju.

I died when Plastique Tiara bust out laughing—I don’t think she meant to be insincere, it was such an honest reaction to Soju’s bizarre story she brought up to explain her busted runway.

• Love 2

I had to re watch this episode after reading all the comments and....how in the world did some of those outfits get sown in such short time?!?! Like A'Keria's was so intricate, Scarlet's dress like she just bought it, and the one I really can't believe in Suga Cane's dress. Even Silky came out with a descent dress even tho she was bsing the majority of the time. Feeling confused 😕. Oh, and Miley's beard just looked horrible.

On 3/4/2019 at 8:37 AM, Sile said:

Ariel is this season's Aquaria, and it looks like she has learned some lessons from Aquaria's run and has come out nicer and more down to earth than Aquaria was at the beginning (I ended up really liking her by the end of the season).

This was actually filmed before season 10 aired. That's why Aquaria's photo wasn't on the wall of winners. (Neither was Tyra's, but that's another story.)

Ariel seemed to me like she could end up being the villain of S11.

13 hours ago, ChicaChic77 said:

I had to re watch this episode after reading all the comments and....how in the world did some of those outfits get sown in such short time?!?! Like A'Keria's was so intricate, Scarlet's dress like she just bought it, and the one I really can't believe in Suga Cane's dress. Even Silky came out with a descent dress even tho she was bsing the majority of the time. Feeling confused 😕. Oh, and Miley's beard just looked horrible.

I've heard a lot of people complain about how "basic" the main challenge outfits were, but I had the same reaction as you - how the hell could they sew those outfits in such a brief period of time? I think they must have had more to work with than the editing suggested.

I think they must have made Miley's "disguise" as basic as possible because they wanted someone to recognize her. And they probably chose someone standing right by Silky so that Silky would be the most likely to spot her and freak out.

• Love 1

Miley's beard looked like someone just slapped a handful of fake mustaches all over her chin and jaw. It was messy... which I have to assume was the point.

It's hard to comment too much because I don't remember half of these queens. Yes, Silky was too much too fast and Soju's taint cyst was... special. There were a lot of half-ass outfits on that runway although Brook Lynn's was dynamite. Bitch can sew, that's for sure.

• Love 1
(edited)

Finally watched this!

I think this was a good premiere; better than I expected, even. I liked the suitcase challenge and was excited to see some familiar faces. Ginger (who looked fab)! Adore! Sasha! Raja! Manila! Ongina! Raven! All my girls! <3 

Miley's man drag was kinda horrible, but she still managed to flood my basement, as always. 

LOL @ Vanjie spying the others. 

I was having serious trouble to make out what Silky was saying. I lost like 89% of what she said and it annoys me. (Not throwing shade, just being a non-native English speaker who has trouble with dialects and all that.)  

Too bad we lost Soju so early on. I would've liked to see more of her, but that dress was... eh. 😕 (Although at least it wasn't another friggin' body suit!) I think Brooke Lynn's most interesting so far, but it's still early days.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:31 PM, Blakeston said:

(Neither was Tyra's, but that's another story.)

What story is that? 😮 (To clarify, I know very little of the queens' lives outside the show.) I'm currently re-watching S2 after having watched it only once years ago, and granted, I've only watched a few episodes so far so I don't know / remember if Tyra redeems herself going forward, but already I'm like how did she win this season???!!! What ha-happened? So much talent there and they pick the one sleeping through challenges? Nowadays they would have none of that. (Except with Jinkx, but that's different.)

On 3/1/2019 at 7:57 PM, Blakeston said:

A cyst on your taint? That's just...horrifying. A friend of mine kept talking about a cyst on the small of his back, and that was gross enough.

I totally feel her. I had a cyst on my bum once. Having it popped was one of the most painful experiences of my entire life, so I talk about it to anyone who'll listen (and okay, maybe also to those who don't). 😄  

Edited by Rosenrot
1 hour ago, Rosenrot said:

What story is that? 😮 (To clarify, I know very little of the queens' lives outside the show.) I'm currently re-watching S2 after having watched it only once years ago, and granted, I've only watched a few episodes so far so I don't know / remember if Tyra redeems herself going forward, but already I'm like how did she win this season???!!! What ha-happened? So much talent there and they pick the one sleeping through challenges? Nowadays they would have none of that. (Except with Jinkx, but that's different.)

She literally threatened to bomb Dragcon, so Ru and World of Wonder don't acknowledge her anymore.

She's got some serious, serious issues.

• Love 1
On 3/3/2019 at 10:20 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Asia is Asian?

On 3/3/2019 at 10:20 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

This is only the third time that we've had two Asian queens in one season (S4: Phi Phi O'Hara and Jiggly Caliente, S10: Asia O'Hara and Yuhua).

It's still the third time! We had Raja and Manila Luzon in Season 3!

3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

She literally threatened to bomb Dragcon, so Ru and World of Wonder don't acknowledge her anymore.

She's got some serious, serious issues.

Ooh. Yikes. 

Maybe that's for the best... she appears to have been part of many a controversy. 

Silky is already on my last damn nerve and Scarlett is close behind.  At least Vangie looked beautiful.  Still trying to find Untucked, but so far I find Miley utterly useless as a judge/surprise guest.