Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Abe's tart looked really good and you couldn't tell it wasn't set until you cut into it, so I wonder how the judges knew to call him up for bottom 3. Do they make two of everything and the judges sample one before they make their picks? Other than not being set, the judges seemed to be straining for bad things to say about it; Aaron claiming pomegranate is too acidic for a dessert (what?), and Sherry Yard saying she had bits of it stuck in her teeth, which seems more like a personal problem to me.

I wanted to see what Suu made with the yam, but I don't think we got even a quick shot of it.

Is Mary Jayne going to say "flippin' doodah" every week? So annoying.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Wait, wait, ummm, I'm so confused!  I thought that last week we were told that Paula Deen was the Queen of baking and now they introduce an usurper to the crown in Sherry who has multiple awards and tons of recognition for her desserts!  How can that be?  What are they trying to pull?  Sigh.

I was very glad that Annai was eliminated.  First of all, I think most of us already know how deliciousness of Mexican cuisine (re: her statements about showing us how delicious it is).  Secondly, she always seemed surprised by her mistakes (and wow was presenting a non-baked or cooked dessert was a mistake [without even mentioning leaving the base of the baking form under her dessert).  

I would like to see their actual comments on all of the dishes but I understand that there isn't the time or practicality for that.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

Abe's tart looked really good and you couldn't tell it wasn't set until you cut into it, so I wonder how the judges knew to call him up for bottom 3. Do they make two of everything and the judges sample one before they make their picks? Other than not being set, the judges seemed to be straining for bad things to say about it;

When they do the walk-around chit-chat thing they taste, but they also watch them make it live. I think between what he told them he intended to do, and the timing of when they saw him do it, they knew enough to know it wouldn't be set. Plus he said outloud it wasn't a few times. They could've easily caught that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

IMHO: baking should not be a part of this show, as it is an entirely separate talent. People train for years to master being a pastry chef and it requires an entirely different set of skills.

How can they (judges) criticize the use of canned items (pineapple) and then select that dish as the best of the night. 

Who goes on a "cooking show" and does a no-bake cake that really looked like a disaster. Except that Arrrrrrrrron knows Mexican flavors. What was so Mexican about avocado cheesecake that looked like avocado pudding?

Edited by preeya
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Leeds said:

Sorry, just because a lot of people make racist comments doesn't make it okay.

I never said it was ok.  I said it was common.  And I like her recipes. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, leighdear said:

I never said it was ok.  I said it was common.  And I like her recipes. 

Agreed. If we're going to dislike chefs based on non chef behavior, a lot of famous chefs have questionable records regarding paying wages and questionable employee treatment. Should we discount their cooking expertise also?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Colorado David said:

Agreed. If we're going to dislike chefs based on non chef behavior, a lot of famous chefs have questionable records regarding paying wages and questionable employee treatment. Should we discount their cooking expertise also?

I think thats the whole concept behind cancel culture.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, preeya said:

How can they (judges) criticize the use of canned items (pineapple) and then select that dish as the best of the night. 

He proved them wrong? They were criticizing that before the dish was done. Once they tasted the finished product, they agreed it didn't suffer for it.

(I also think it's extra snobby of them to criticize the canned fruit when this show has had a sponsored "everything in the basket in canned and you must use it" episode before, and Ramsey of course sang the praises of the canned stuff at that time.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, preeya said:

Doesn't everyone use canned pineapple rings to make upside down cake?  I've never heard of anyone using fresh pineapple - which doesn't mean no one does but I've never seen it done "live" or even in a cookbook.

• Love 10

Annai was an idiot. And definitely deserved to go home.  Matt & Abe lucked out.  

I can't stand Mary Jayne.  She is just so extra in every annoying way. 

Black garlic cake Matt has incredibly scary eyes.  Seriously freaky. 

WTH is up with Tay?  Why does he keep trying to sound like Chris Rock?  But I LOVE pineapple upside down cake, so he's ok with me for now. 

I do NOT believe that Lexy had NEVER made that cake before.  Liar!  And it was NOT molten, just soft in the middle.  Judges, you are liars too!

The only contestant I like at all is Burmese lady.  

• Love 2
On 6/24/2021 at 3:13 PM, preeya said:

Arrrrrrrron"s words of wisdom:

"general rule of thumb........ no matter how long you cook something, you allow it to rest for the same amount [of time]"

Where is this "rule" written?" I never heard of anything so dumb. I cook a roast beef for an hour and let it rest for an hour. I don't think so. 

It's actually a good rule of thumb when cooking steaks. Don't know if it applies to anything else, though.

Mrs. RaiderDuck and I watched the last two episodes back-to-back last night. Was I the only one geeking out when Morimoto said "Allez Cuisine!" a la Chairmen Kaga/Dacascos? Also, I found it a bit odd that nobody mentioned Morimoto's Iron Chef tenures. I can understand not mentioning Iron Chef America (Ramsay and Food Network have this habit of each pretending the other doesn't exist), but the original Iron Chef Japan has been off the air for years (and the only place I know of to currently watch it is an unofficial Iron Chef channel on Twitch). Surely there'd be no harm in mentioning it, especially since Iron Chef is how most American cooking show fans would know Morimoto?

As for last night's ep: Annai quit her job as a Legal Assistant, had two Bottom 3 finishes, and was booted. Methinks legal work may be more her specialty than professional cooking.

• Love 4
(edited)

This is the first episode I've watched in several years. but I call shenanigans.  Having Michael be in the top 4? No way.  His  offering was not only super simple, but as such should have been perfectly done and presented.  His was not - at all.  And raving over chocolate ganache - come on, these judges have never had it before?

Also have to say, how much I love Sherry, not just as a fabulous baker but also as a person.  I would watch her every week.  

Edited by mjc570
Accuracy
  • Love 2

I'd like to see all the dishes presented for tasting, even if we only get a quick look and comment for the middle-of-the-packers. When they do the bench drive-by we get no comments

• Love 6
(edited)
9 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Abe's tart looked really good and you couldn't tell it wasn't set until you cut into it, so I wonder how the judges knew to call him up for bottom 3. Do they make two of everything and the judges sample one before they make their picks? Other than not being set, the judges seemed to be straining for bad things to say about it; Aaron claiming pomegranate is too acidic for a dessert (what?), and Sherry Yard saying she had bits of it stuck in her teeth, which seems more like a personal problem to me.

I was wondering the exact same thing!

Aaron claiming pomegranate is too acidic for a dessert (what?),

I watch a lot of Food Network and the judges are always bitching and moaning about "This needs acid".  Does that also go for a dessert?  LOL I don't even know.....

and Sherry Yard saying she had bits of it stuck in her teeth, which seems more like a personal problem to me.

LOL 

7 hours ago, Colorado David said:

Honestly, yes?  I have no respect for that.  I would not be interested in dining at a restaurant where the servers are abused and not paid reasonable wages.  That's a recipe for disaster!  Pun not intended but it works anyway!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, leighdear said:

Annai was an idiot. And definitely deserved to go home.

She's a pretty girl.  My theory after watching her is that she was never all that interested in cooking but hoped to get "discovered" if she could get on TV.  She overlooked the fact that there are lots of pretty girls out there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, mlp said:

She's a pretty girl.  My theory after watching her is that she was never all that interested in cooking but hoped to get "discovered" if she could get on TV.  She overlooked the fact that there are lots of pretty girls out there.

I'd rather discover her than many other already famous cooks. 

Annnnddd that came of sounding way dirtier than I meant it to.

• LOL 4
(edited)

I remember my Mom and I were discussing that woman who used a curry paste.  I made a crack like, she is so gorgeous that she probably thought that was fine to do.  I shouldn't really make judgements like that but..... she was really gorgeous.  😁. When you look like that I kind of assume people will nod and smile at your food.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

Christina has a new baby. Maybe she was pregnant and couldn’t appear. Or she is done with the show.

Aaron was guest judging on the new show called  crime scene kitchen. He was just as annoying as usual.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Colorado David said:

I think no one is discounting Paula Deen's cooking expertise because she is a racist. They are saying we don't think she should be showcased as a known racist. And yeah, if someone established that a chef was scumbagging their staff, I wouldn't want to support them either. 

Why would anyone want to support a chef who was a scumbag when there are plenty of people who are good at being chefs AND non-scumbags?

13 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I was very glad that Annai was eliminated.  First of all, I think most of us already know how deliciousness of Mexican cuisine (re: her statements about showing us how delicious it is).  Secondly, she always seemed surprised by her mistakes (and wow was presenting a non-baked or cooked dessert was a mistake [without even mentioning leaving the base of the baking form under her dessert).  

Forget Aaron, Rick Bayless, previous Masterchef winner Claudia and everyone else who has ever done Mexican cuisine. I needed Annai to show me how great Mexican cuisine is! Does Bayless have a no-bake avocado cheesecake or a monkfish baja taco? No!

13 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Do they make two of everything and the judges sample one before they make their picks? ...

Is Mary Jayne going to say "flippin' doodah" every week? So annoying.

Googling suggests that they only make one dish but that the judges sample stuff off camera as the cook is going on. 

• Love 12
8 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Why would anyone want to support a chef who was a scumbag when there are plenty of people who are good at being chefs AND non-scumbags?

For the same reason people support Chick Fil A while knowing their foundation STILL supports charities in countries that have criminalized homosexuality.  

People draw their own lines of what they will and will not tolerate in their lives and where they will spend their money.  It's a very personal decision.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

For the same reason people support Chick Fil A while knowing their foundation STILL supports charities in countries that have criminalized homosexuality.  

People draw their own lines of what they will and will not tolerate in their lives and where they will spend their money.  It's a very personal decision.  

Very well said.  Ditto for shows people watch. Often the most despicable behavior from characters is what draws viewers in, yet we're all "okay" with patronizing that. But real life, oh no, gotta cancel that person/show/concept RIGHT NOW.

I tend to think the more serious chef contenders go for more 'serious' shows like Top Chef and Chopped than the Ramsey driven shows.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Colorado David said:

I tend to think the more serious chef contenders go for more 'serious' shows like Top Chef and Chopped than the Ramsey driven shows.

Ironically one of the finalists on this year's Top Chef was fired from his restaurant for harassment.

Also, the same chefs have been on Hell's Kitchen and Chopped (Marc from last season for example), so I don't even know if this is true.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Ironically one of the finalists on this year's Top Chef was fired from his restaurant for harassment.

Also, the same chefs have been on Hell's Kitchen and Chopped (Marc from last season for example), so I don't even know if this is true.

Oooh yeah, Gabe, good point.  You'd think the casting people on the show would check the backgrounds more thoroughly. I guess they will now!!!!!

I have an admitted soft spot for asshole Joe and his "sambuca & marlboro light" comment about his grandfather reminded me why.  The show is better with him on it.  Now if we could just replace Aaron with 'look off into space while tasting' Graham, it'd be the perfect palate cleanser after the seriousness of Top Chef.

• Love 2

Are they nicer this year?

I have just seen Ep4 and everyone is all encouraging and high fiving like MasterChef Australia. The people don't seem like smack talking loons either.

Seems like they've decided to edit/cast saner people?

I also have to say I'm enjoying watching the food on this show so far. No ice cream, granitas or frozen domes or other cop out fugly desserts that have been plaguing MC Au.

On 7/1/2021 at 2:46 PM, mlp said:

Doesn't everyone use canned pineapple rings to make upside down cake?  I've never heard of anyone using fresh pineapple - which doesn't mean no one does but I've never seen it done "live" or even in a cookbook.

Yes.  I happen to think that canned pineapple is the exception when talking about fresh vs canned.  Fresh pineapple can be delicious on it's own. But, pineapples can vary in their sweetness and wateriness  level, and it's hard to know before cutting and tasting if the pineapple is going to work.  there's an enzyme in fresh pineapple that interacts with other  ingredients.  This enzyme also can make your mouth hurt when you eat fresh pineapple.  The canning process gets rid of this effect.   To make sure you get a consistent result, canned pineapple is a better choice for baking. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, tinkerbell said:

Yes.  I happen to think that canned pineapple is the exception when talking about fresh vs canned.  Fresh pineapple can be delicious on it's own. But, pineapples can vary in their sweetness and wateriness  level, and it's hard to know before cutting and tasting if the pineapple is going to work.  there's an enzyme in fresh pineapple that interacts with other  ingredients.  This enzyme also can make your mouth hurt when you eat fresh pineapple.  The canning process gets rid of this effect.   To make sure you get a consistent result, canned pineapple is a better choice for baking. 

If you've ever eaten a fresh pineapple in Hawaii, you can never go back to eating fresh pineapple anywhere else. They taste so much better when they are allowed to ripen on the plant, something that all of the pineapples that are shipped to mainland grocery stores are not allowed to do. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

This enzyme also can make your mouth hurt when you eat fresh pineapple. 

That is a fact!  Many years ago when I was in college, fresh pineapple was served at dinner one night.  I loved it but several girls didn't.  I ate theirs too and my mouth felt like I'd gargled with acid afterwards.  I've never eaten too much of it since.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, eel21788 said:

If you've ever eaten a fresh pineapple in Hawaii, you can never go back to eating fresh pineapple anywhere else. They taste so much better when they are allowed to ripen on the plant, something that all of the pineapples that are shipped to mainland grocery stores are not allowed to do. 

You are so right. Once, when I was in Hawaii, we stopped at a pineapple field where they served it fresh. Someone actually went into the field, cut a pineapple off, & served it to us. It was amazing.

• Love 3
On 7/1/2021 at 3:46 PM, mlp said:

Now that you mention it, I've never had one with fresh pineapples...

On 7/5/2021 at 11:34 AM, DB in CMH said:

Beside the constant reminders that This! Is! The! Season! Of! Legends! I quite enjoyed the episode. I like that they're getting lots of practical criticism.

I really prefer this setup over all the gimmicks and challenges they usually have. Especially Junior when they waste all that food in them. 

• Love 1
On 7/5/2021 at 2:21 PM, eel21788 said:

I've had it fresh in Venezuela. Pure deliciousness. But that's true of a lot of fruits and veggies. Try fresh off the bush ripe raspberries or just picked corn on the cob.

• Love 2

I came across season 10 episode 12 (the one with the king crabs) and Joe tells Renee to take the pasta dough out of the garbage and use it (sure she said it was on top and "clean" but IT WAS STILL IN THE GARBAGE CAN). If Joe can do this on tv where millions of people are watching, God knows what he does in his restaurant when no one's watching. No way would I ever go to his restaurant after seeing that and that Joe is how you lose potential customers in the blink of an eye.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, christie said:

I came across season 10 episode 12 (the one with the king crabs) and Joe tells Renee to take the pasta dough out of the garbage and use it (sure she said it was on top and "clean" but IT WAS STILL IN THE GARBAGE CAN). If Joe can do this on tv where millions of people are watching, God knows what he does in his restaurant when no one's watching. No way would I ever go to his restaurant after seeing that and that Joe is how you lose potential customers in the blink of an eye.

I just re-watched that episode. I do recall he (JoeB) did that. Reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where George Costanza gets caught eating the eclair out of the garbage.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, christie said:

Esp since I believe I've seen Ramsey ream somebody out for doing that exact same thing on HK.

• Love 4

Was far behind but finally caught up. Once the auditions were over, the show got a bit better. But I still can’t unhear Aaron’s over enunciation of Mexican cuisine ingredients. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DougJones said:

Was far behind but finally caught up. Once the auditions were over, the show got a bit better. But I still can’t unhear Aaron’s over enunciation of Mexican cuisine ingredients. 

Marcella used to do that on The Kitchen.

• Love 1

I actually don't mind Joe ( and think he's great with the kids on MC Junior), but I had to roll my eyes when he said that white potatoes make him angry.  The only anger I associate with potatoes of any kind is when there isn't enough.

It shouldn't bother me since it's probably a positive thing for her, but Anne comes across as trying way too hard.  I guess I prefer chefs who show some joy about their food beyond making it perfect enough to win.  I was kind of hoping she'd get eliminated since she  made the ultimate mistake of not taking GR's advice on the walk-around.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
46 minutes ago, leocadia said:

It shouldn't bother me since it's probably a positive thing for her, but Anne comes across as trying way too hard.  I guess I prefer chefs who show some joy about their food beyond making it perfect enough to win.  I was kind of hoping she'd get eliminated since she  made the ultimate mistake of not taking GR's advice on the walk-around.

And the inevitable "cry pies" on every season irritate the hell out of me.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, DougJones said:

You must mean "Arrrrrrroooooon"

• LOL 4
  • Love 1