Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

On 3/24/2019 at 10:09 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

I think the intetedting things is that there are a few different things at play. They have to defeat Thanos,  and then they have to reverse the snap. Accomplishing one doesn't mean accomplishing the other.

Between Captain America in his old suit and that at the Avengers are all wearing the same suit while going off on a mission and then need to reverse the snap, I'm thinking time travel is somehow involved.

On 3/24/2019 at 5:51 PM, stealinghome said:

I don’t know that I think any of the original Avengers would be all that reticent to kill a beaten Thanos, tbh. Natasha and Thor and Clint would have no issues. Bruce might have qualms but doesn’t have the balls to stand up against the others. Steve would probably feel guilty as hell and be morally conflicted—maybe THAT is why he goes into retirement?—but at his core he would recognize that Thanos is too dangerous to live and bow to pragmatism.

Personal theory is that 'who is Peggy Carter's husband' is a secret, even though Agent Carter is long over and Peggy died in the films, because its Steve.  After defeating Thanos, he decides to hang up the shield and live out his life with Peggy.    Hiding that is something that Carter, Steve, and Howard could likely pull off if half the beings in the universe ceasing to exist is the consequence of being found out.   The interview Peggy gave about her husband could be the cover story for the identity the created for Steve.  Heck, Dr. Strange re-emphasizing that this was the only scenario in infinite futures he looked at that Thanos could be defeated would be a powerful motivator for Steve to not dabble at being Captain America in the past, not try to find a way to stop Thanos earlier, and not to ever let the Avengers (even himself) get a whiff of the idea that a different timeline Steve had been around while he was frozen in ice.  It was very convenient that Peggy had photos around her hospital room, but none of her husband. And I've always that that hospital scene in Winter Soldier spoke of more shared  history between Peggy / Steve than what happened in Captain America (this probably from watching those in reverse order).

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

.It was very convenient that Peggy had photos around her hospital room, but none of her husband. And I've always that that hospital scene in Winter Soldier spoke of more shared  history between Peggy / Steve than what happened in Captain America (this probably from watching those in reverse order).

Which almost works, except that she addresses it directly when he visits her in the hospital.

"I have lived a life. My only regret is that you didn't get to live yours."

She knew about the New York battle, but neither of them mention when she found out he was still alive to be there to fight, since she lost contact with him when he crashed his plane into the ocean. I like the idea that they had more time together before he disappeared, though this <i>really</i> works for me:

image.png.8c51c9139bfa46e360b42b4d2e0b11ec.png

(edited)
17 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I'm not one that subscribes to the theory (or do I?) of Steve going back in time but that statement could mean it was because he had to hide himself or become someone else. I mean I do think it was weird that we saw pictures of the kids but never a husband. I did notice that but I guess I always thought it meant they wanted to leave it open ended on Agent Carter even though she was with Daniel at the end. Like for if they wanted any future appearances by Peggy in other movies that they didn't want to be locked down on who the husband was. 

Edited by festivus
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Which almost works, except that she addresses it directly when he visits her in the hospital.

She knew about the New York battle, but neither of them mention when she found out he was still alive to be there to fight, since she lost contact with him when he crashed his plane into the ocean. I like the idea that they had more time together before he disappeared, though this <i>really</i> works for me:

I admit the idea is probably just wishful thinking on my part.  But I don't think that it is impossible that she is talking to Steve at that moment in time who had been frozen in stasis and hiding knowledge of other things.  Its just that in the moments after that when she has an episode and realizes he was alive, it felt like there was more history there than the events in Captain America.

I guess I'm just a big ole cynic, about a flirtation from seventy years ago holding that much emotional punch to someone who lived a full life, who paradoxically wants a big ole romantic ending.

• Love 1

Marvel Studios Has a 5-Year Phase 4 Plan That (Probably) Does Not Include the X-Men

“It’ll be a while,” Feige told io9 when asked about bringing the X-Men into the MCU. “It’s all just beginning and the five-year plan that we’ve been working on, we were working on before any of that was set. So really it’s much more, for us, less about specifics of when and where [the X-Men will appear] right now and more just the comfort factor and how nice it is that they’re home. That they’re all back. But it will be a very long time.”

Smart. Let the bad taste (IMO) of the last decade of X-franchise dissipate before trying to bring them into the already robust MCU.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

Marvel Studios Has a 5-Year Phase 4 Plan That (Probably) Does Not Include the X-Men

Smart. Let the bad taste (IMO) of the last decade of X-franchise dissipate before trying to bring them into the already robust MCU.

As much as i want the X-Men and FF in the MCU i have to agree, especially since FOX/Disney are releasing both Dark Phoenix and New Mutants this year, both of which look like crap (IMO). Continue with the MCU as planned and in 6-7 years introduce FF and X-Men.  Heck they could make it the post credits scene for Avengers 5 LOL

• Love 4
1 hour ago, JessePinkman said:

I think more importantly 5 years is a good amount of time to forget about the good stuff. Mostly because the crap is easily forgettable. It will be 7 years post-Logan so by then people will have probably forgotten about Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart.

It is also too bad that they did the in the past/lost in space kind of story device for Captain Marvel. Because setting a Fantastic Four movie in thr 60's with crazy 60's Kirby version of futuristic tech would be awesome. And then have them stuck in the Negative Zone or some shit and come back in modern times. But now that seems too close to Carol's story.

On 4/6/2019 at 11:32 AM, ParadoxLost said:

Between Captain America in his old suit and that at the Avengers are all wearing the same suit while going off on a mission and then need to reverse the snap, I'm thinking time travel is somehow involved.

Personal theory is that 'who is Peggy Carter's husband' is a secret, even though Agent Carter is long over and Peggy died in the films, because its Steve.  After defeating Thanos, he decides to hang up the shield and live out his life with Peggy.    Hiding that is something that Carter, Steve, and Howard could likely pull off if half the beings in the universe ceasing to exist is the consequence of being found out.   The interview Peggy gave about her husband could be the cover story for the identity the created for Steve.  Heck, Dr. Strange re-emphasizing that this was the only scenario in infinite futures he looked at that Thanos could be defeated would be a powerful motivator for Steve to not dabble at being Captain America in the past, not try to find a way to stop Thanos earlier, and not to ever let the Avengers (even himself) get a whiff of the idea that a different timeline Steve had been around while he was frozen in ice.  It was very convenient that Peggy had photos around her hospital room, but none of her husband. And I've always that that hospital scene in Winter Soldier spoke of more shared  history between Peggy / Steve than what happened in Captain America (this probably from watching those in reverse order).

I love this scenario. Yes, it doesn't quite work when we consider the words of older Peggy in Winter Soldier, but it would make my heart sing if this is how Steve's story ends. We could see pictures of Steve and Peggy with their young children. Then their older children introduce themselves to the remaining Avengers.

Edited by SimoneS
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I think more importantly 5 years is a good amount of time to forget about the good stuff. Mostly because the crap is easily forgettable.

Just ask Andrew Garfield.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

That probably is smart.  But putting X-Men on the backburner for a "who gives a crap" project like The Eternals?  In fairness, it's probably not as bad as their pathetic attempts to have the Inhumans replace the X-Men but still...

If Marvel really wants to do something, they an do it quicker than 5 years.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, benteen said:

That probably is smart.  But putting X-Men on the backburner for a "who gives a crap" project like The Eternals?  In fairness, it's probably not as bad as their pathetic attempts to have the Inhumans replace the X-Men but still...

If Marvel really wants to do something, they an do it quicker than 5 years.

Keep in mind that it won't just be who gives a crap stuff. They will also be putiing out Black Panther 2 and Guardians 3. Probably also Captain Marvel 2. And possibly another Thor and another Dr. Strange.

It could also be a genius movie. Develop some really weird stuff. If it hits big great and you have another franchise to play with. If not you have the freaking X-men in reserve which would pretty much be a guaranteed hit.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Keep in mind that it won't just be who gives a crap stuff. They will also be putiing out Black Panther 2 and Guardians 3. Probably also Captain Marvel 2. And possibly another Thor and another Dr. Strange.

Maybe even Ant-Man 3.

Now that I'm thinking about it, what does this mean for Deadpool 3? Will they just release a new Deadpool but, keep it out of the MCU?

If any character could be used to hint at /link FOX X-Men to MCU it would be Deadpool breaking the 4th Wall

Edited by Morrigan2575

The Eternals are one of the Marvel things that I've never really got the appeal of. Applying the Ancient Aliens/Chariots of the Gods explanation to myths about ancient gods in a world where the ancient gods are also real and still running around in the modern world has always just struck me as ... odd.

13 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

It could also be a genius movie. Develop some really weird stuff. If it hits big great and you have another franchise to play with. If not you have the freaking X-men in reserve which would pretty much be a guaranteed hit.

It probably makes sense and some of those projects are logical.  The sequels to everything save for Dr. Strange.

There's probably a thread for discussing the MCU shows on the whole, but until someone links me to it, I'm going to discuss it here.

Kevin Feige talks about upcoming shows. WandaVision... There's something odd about that name, I can't put my finger on it. However, What If sounds amazing.

For instance, our first episode will ask the questions: what if Peggy Carter was the one who became a super soldier and what if Steve Rogers stayed a scrawny, young kid but joined the fight with an armored suit built by Howard Stark? This gives you the sense of how he plan to explore the MCU and fresh and exciting ways in the series. in addition new and returning cast members will be lending their voice to their animated counterparts.

However, it's animated. Strangely, they can't muscle Hayley Atwell up and shrink Chris Evans down just for one episode. Still, it's a stellar idea.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

ScarlettVision is the superior option if we’re doing faux shipper titles.

It's a good one! But I had a bit of a think and worked it out. There was a game console called the ColecoVision. While it was before my time, somehow it sticks in the mind.

11 hours ago, Anduin said:

There's probably a thread for discussing the MCU shows on the whole, but until someone links me to it, I'm going to discuss it here.

Kevin Feige talks about upcoming shows. WandaVision... There's something odd about that name, I can't put my finger on it. However, What If sounds amazing.

However, it's animated. Strangely, they can't muscle Hayley Atwell up and shrink Chris Evans down just for one episode. Still, it's a stellar idea.

I absolutely can't wait for that What if series and animation is the PERFECT way to tell that type of story.  It would be impossible to remake the movies but with animation, you can do everything.  Hopefully they'll get back the movie actors for it and that would really sell the experience.

44 minutes ago, benteen said:

I absolutely can't wait for that What if series and animation is the PERFECT way to tell that type of story.  It would be impossible to remake the movies but with animation, you can do everything.  Hopefully they'll get back the movie actors for it and that would really sell the experience.

I think they will get the movie actors. There's less gap between TV and movies these days, especially if you aren't stingey about paying them. 🙂

https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/11/disney-plus-streaming-service-price-launch-date-details/

$6.99/month

$69.99/annual subscription

Launches November 12th

Disney will also be launching a bunch of limited-series TV shows based on the Marvel Cinematic Universe: There’s WandaVision, starring Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany; The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, starring Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan; and a Loki show with Tom Hiddleston. Also in the works is an animated show called What If, based on the Marvel Comics series of the same name, exploring alternate timelines and universes in the Marvel world. (Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige teased that one episode will explore what might have happened if Peggy Carter was the one to become a super soldier, instead of Steve Rogers.) And just yesterday, the news broke that Disney+ is also developing a Hawkeye series with Jeremy Renner, centering on his mentor relationship with fellow archer Kate Bishop.

• Love 2

I have mixed feelings about the Hawkeye series. The Matt Fraction comic was one of my absolute favorites, but I just don't think it would be the same without the lovable loser pick-up artist version of Clint. The MCU version is so very, very far from that take on the character, and Renner is my least favorite of the Avengers actors by a wide margin.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

I might go with the yearly rate, If anyone can afford a loss leader it's Disney, but I can't imagine that those rates are going to last long before the dollar bump ups start.

Just long enough to destroy Netflix 😁

And yeah, I believe I will sign on for the annual subscription (for now). It's going to have Disney, Star Wars and Marvel content. Plus downloadable content for travel which is very useful

Edited by Morrigan2575

Some threads have been started for the confirmed shows. There's just probably not a ton to discuss right now because so little details are known, We could start up with the spec though.

27 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I have mixed feelings about the Hawkeye series. The Matt Fraction comic was one of my absolute favorites, but I just don't think it would be the same without the lovable loser pick-up artist version of Clint. The MCU version is so very, very far from that take on the character, and Renner is my least favorite of the Avengers actors by a wide margin.

I should read that one. The only Hawkeye I've read is the one with The Winter Soldier. Which I loved. I read anything Bucky. 

18 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Just long enough to destroy Netflix 😁

I think the price points are such that most people will do both, at least for awhile.  Especially since they cover different content.  I have both Netflix and Hulu now (and an expanded basic cable package, but there's literally only like 5 channels that I actually watch).  But how this shakes out in the long run will be interesting to see, especially how it's going to affect network ad-driven 'free' tv.  

Disney really knows how to take all my money. With all that content of course I'm getting it.

I'll probably be dropping my cable package. I'll keep Netflix because it still has shows that I watch. 

7 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I have mixed feelings about the Hawkeye series. The Matt Fraction comic was one of my absolute favorites, but I just don't think it would be the same without the lovable loser pick-up artist version of Clint. 

Agreed. I thought Fraction would have been perfect for the Netflix Marvel U (RIP) with a non Renner Hawkeye. Married, lives in the country with kids (depending on what happens in Endgame) Barton is a different character entirely. 

14 hours ago, starri said:

Clint is the Hawkeye of the Ultimate universe.  Lance Hunter from Agents of SHIELD was the Hawkeye of the 616 universe.

And it didn't help that movie Tony Stark basically stole comics Clint Barton's personality. And there were 2 Iron Man movies before Clint even showed up on screen in Thor. And even then I don't remember him having many lines. Then when he next showed up in Avengers he spent a good portion of the movie under mind control. Based on that I can see it being hard to develop a personality. Especially when they already have the cocky wiseass and he is played by Robert Downey Jr.

• Love 2

MCU Clint remains a staid, solid SHIELD Agent who weirdly likes bows and arrows.

616 Clint is a dumpster fire who weirdly likes bows and arrows.

Then there's Animated Clint who is a sassy train wreck who weirdly likes bows and arrows.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

After hearing the Shanghai audience (and the rest of the Avengers) at the Endgame promo event chant "Bucky" after Chris was talking about Steve and Peggy, I'm not surprised that TPTB are looking for an Asian actor to play the MCU's first out gay character.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Yeah, I disagree with a lot of those rankings. I haven't seen all the MCU movies, but based on the ones I have, I'd put CA: TFA and CA: Civil War way lower; Guardians 1 and 2 and Doctor Strange moderately lower; Age of Ultron, Iron Man 1, and Thor 1 a bit higher; and would flip Infinity War (not actually a particularly good movie) and Captain Marvel.

8 hours ago, starri said:

The AV Club ranks all 22 MCU movies.

I disagree with a lot of it.  GotG v2 should be higher, Ragnarok should be a bit lower, and I would move First Avenger out of the top ten to shift Captain Marvel into it.  I still think it's one of their strongest origin stories.

The biggest surprise (I mean, Civil War is in my personal bottom half of the MCU but I know that's not a popular opinion) in those rankings to me is Ant-Man & the Wasp being ranked ahead of the original. The more slapstick Scott in the sequel was, IMO, a real negative, the humor doesn't land nearly as well nor does the heart/emotion. It felt like a generic sequel that was just a diminished retake of the original.

• Love 1

I’m so emotional right now. Everyone saying that the movie is emotional and to bring tissues is making me so sad. Yes every character has an ending and I know that it’s the end of the line for some but I’m not ready. I have NEVER been able to deal with Marvel characters ending. 

Part of me never wants to watch this movie and the other part wants to support Marvel and the actors and my characters but I’m so sad.