Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

I will take Lewis Tan for any role they want to give him (but Namor would definitely be a good choice).  

(also, AO3 aka Archive Of Our Own fanfic site) gave out invitations and I have several available if anyone needs one, or knows someone who needs one... just let me know)

Edited by Wynterwolf

I've been banging the drum so hard for Lewis Tan as Namor in last 6 or 8 months that I'm sure people here thought I must be his stalker or his mom. I'm neither. Tan is tall, good looking, and has martial arts training. Additionally, I don't think I've ever see a character that isn't specifically any race have so many fancasts with actors of color. If Marvel decides to use Namor in the future, they really need to consider an actor of Asian descent because the fans have indicated that's what want. If fans are giving you a diversity gift horse...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Wynterwolf said:

They could also amplify each other (not that Endgame will need any help), depending on what Captain Marvel's role is in Endgame.  

My speculation is like the Thor Ragnarok end credits started Infinity War so to will the Captain Marvel end credits start Endgame.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 4

FYI, the person that was correct about the Captain Marvel and Avenger: Endgame trailer releases, has said that the Spider-Man:  Far From Home trailer has been pushed back, possibly to 12/18.  Take with however many grains of salt that seems fit.  There still might be something at the CCXP panel.  

eta: They did show the FFH trailer at CCXP. 

Edited by Wynterwolf

I'm surprised they are releasing a trailer for it so soon, as it could spoil how they rescue him :(.  I actually have no attention to watch that trailer. I did give in watch the Avenger: endgame trailer and it just made me more excited about that movie but it thankfully didn't seem to give much away.

This movie doesn't even need a trailer. Throw up a title card with the release date and save the $$ on marketing. I'm not sure how many new people will jump in for the end of a franchise, and people who've either been MCU fans from the beginning or those who saw Infinity War probably don't need much convincing to want to see how it ends. 

That said, I can't wait for the next trailer. I'm hoping for some hint of Young Avengers.

• Love 1

The movie itself doesn't need a trailer, however the greater franchise needs continued fresh content to keep its name out in the public until the next release. Some might be satisfied with The Runaways or catching up with the NetFlix content but 3 months is a long time to let the franchise sit fallow even if the movie would sell itself., because of the history of the last part.

• Love 1

Don’t Expect ‘The Defenders’ on Disney Streaming Service Any Time Soon

Sources tell Variety that the deal for the original four Marvel shows includes a clause that prevents the characters from appearing in any non-Netflix series or film for at least two years after cancellation. That means that “Daredevil,” “Luke Cage,” and “Iron Fist” — which were all canceled this year at Netflix — could not come to the Disney streaming service until 2020 at the earliest.

The chances of the shows returning either on their own or as a new installment of “The Defenders” is definitely a long shot, given the time frame. And even if they did go to Disney+ as soon as possible, they would be doing so without “Jessica Jones,” which is set to air its third season on Netflix sometime in 2019. If that show is canceled, which now seems likely but is by no means a guarantee, it could not go elsewhere until 2021.

Marvel and Netflix declined to comment.

Then there is “The Punisher,” a Marvel-Netflix show that was not part of the deal that spawned “The Defenders.” “The Punisher” stars Jon Bernthal, who first played the gun-toting vigilante in “Daredevil” Season 2 before the character was spun off into his own show. It was revealed on Wednesday that the second season of “The Punisher” will debut in January. Given that “The Punisher” did not fall under the original deal, the show’s fate beyond Season 2 is unknown at this time.

Edited by Dee

Interesting article. Marvel talked to director Lucrecia Martel about the Black Widow movie. She suggests that they wanted someone else to direct the action scenes. I gather that the second unit director often does the action instead of the regular director. The thing is, how does a person learn to direct action in the first place? And given that superhero movies are more action than anything else, shouldn't the action director be the main one who brings in someone else for the talky bits?

She also knocks the lighting and the music. I sort of agree about the music. Cap 1 and Black Panther are the only MCU soundtracks I like. The others are pretty forgettable.

Speaking of soundtracks I heard the song Shoot to Thrill a few days ago and it made me decide to watch Iron Man 2. I can't remember the last time I watched it but it was probably when the DVD first came out. I was surprised because it was actually a lot better than I remember. Honestly I think if they had just gotten someone else, anyone else, instead of Mickey Rourke it could have been pretty good (he sucked so bad and made every scene he was in annoying). If they had reshot that whole Monaco fight scene so that Tony, a guy who can fly doesn't almost lose to a guy with whips, and maybe have a way to explain why Happy crashing the Rolls into Whiplash doesn't kill him it would have been great. The party scene where Tony is drunk in the Iron Man suit was also kind of stupid, especially since blowing up glass bottles over people's heads is a good way for people to get cut, and yet everyone was laughing.

Also the movie had a bunch of famous people playing themselves, so now I am wondering if Bill O'Reilly got dusted. 

Edited by Kel Varnsen
19 hours ago, Dee said:

Sources tell Variety that the deal for the original four Marvel shows includes a clause that prevents the characters from appearing in any non-Netflix series or film for at least two years after cancellation. That means that “Daredevil,” “Luke Cage,” and “Iron Fist” — which were all canceled this year at Netflix — could not come to the Disney streaming service until 2020 at the earliest.

What a terribly drafted clause. There should be a fault aspect to it because if Disney canceled the shows, Disney should be penalized for maliciously canceling in order to profit by fully bringing the characters into the MCU. However, Netflix is canceling the shows knowing that Disney is building their competition and they want to hurt Disney. Typically, there would be fault contingencies. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

What a terribly drafted clause. There should be a fault aspect to it because if Disney canceled the shows, Disney should be penalized for maliciously canceling in order to profit by fully bringing the characters into the MCU. However, Netflix is canceling the shows knowing that Disney is building their competition and they want to hurt Disney. Typically, there would be fault contingencies. 

Given how the movies have been scheduled, I'm not sure where the franchise would have room or time to bring in the Netflix characters. Captain Marvel, Endgame, and Far From Home are all in post-production, but the Black Panther sequel hasn't started filming yet. The Black Widow movie is in pre-production, but there's no predicted release date that I'm aware of. Idon't doubt that Netflix is trying to do an end run around Disney by cancelling all of their Marvel-related fare, I'm just not sure of when Disney is planning too make their service available and they've got at least two all-new shows planned. As I understand it, Luke Cage and Iron Fist weren't particularly good, though I only know that secondhand. Would Disney even want them on their roster?

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
8 hours ago, Joe said:

Interesting article. Marvel talked to director Lucrecia Martel about the Black Widow movie. She suggests that they wanted someone else to direct the action scenes. I gather that the second unit director often does the action instead of the regular director. The thing is, how does a person learn to direct action in the first place? And given that superhero movies are more action than anything else, shouldn't the action director be the main one who brings in someone else for the talky bits?

The best action directors have come from Hong Kong or started as stunt people, stunt coordinators, or choreographers (dance or stunts). Also people who have directed boxing films and sports and dance documentaries tend to be very good at catching action. There are people who are known for directing action, who are actually quite shit at it (Michael Bay and Zack Snyder). Michael Bay uses far too many cuts so you can barely tell what's happening or where the action is taking place though you can be certain that it will be too loud, have a ton of explosions, and a random turn down an alley will transport you to downtown Detroit regardless of where the movie is set. Zack Snyder is known for his use of slow motion. Luckily for him, his style was so new that no one came after him over the use of it in 300 where it's kind of a mess. I don't think it's terrible in Man of Steel, but it's actually bad in BvS. Snyder falls so in love with certain frames that he will happily muddle whole action scenes in service of those slow mo shots. In contrast to these prior directors who got started in commercials, I feel like the Scott brothers are very good action directors who got their starts in commercials. I don't know if it's because Ridley loves to storyboard every last second of what he shoots. Tony and Ridley have largely avoided stylistic excesses. 

Lexi Alexander is fantastic; she got her start as a mixed martial artist and stunt performer. Kevin Tancharoen is very very good too; he started as a dance choreographer for Britney Spears and Madonna. What happens on many films is that the stunt coordinator or choreographer directs the action scenes maybe with some supervision by the second unit director. The reasons you wouldn't want a director who only excels at action scenes to direct the whole film is because some directors (Louis Leterrier and John Woo) can barely put together a meaningful scene when there is no punching. An action film is like a dance film or a singing film--the performance or action is supposed to illustrate the personal story, which is primarily not fighting, dancing, or singing. Regardless of the dance portions of Flashdance, the personal journey is the most important part of the film. The dance illustrates that. The fighting in Civil War illustrates the personal and professional schism between Steve and Tony.

Additionally James Cameron is known for his sci fi and action films and the action directing is good in them, but he's actually very good at getting solid performances out of people like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sam Worthington, and Eliza Dushku who are not great actors.

1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Given how the movies have been scheduled, I'm not sure where the franchise would have room or time to bring in the Netflix characters. Captain Marvel, Endgame, and Far From Home are all in post-production, but the Black Panther sequel hasn't started filming yet. The Black Widow movie is in pre-production, but there's no predicted release date that I'm aware of. I don't doubt that Netflix is trying to do an end run around Disney by cancelling all of their Marvel-related fare, I'm just not sure of when Disney is planning too make their service available and they've got at least two all-new shows planned. As I understand it, Luke Cage and Iron Fist weren't particularly good, though I only know that secondhand. Would Disney even want them on their roster?

Iron Fist was not good; although the second season was an improvement. Luke Cage has its good points; it was in the process of breaking stories for season 3 when it was canceled. However, the real reasons that Disney wants access to those characters regardless of how well the shows turned out is: 1. they are Marvel characters and Marvel wants to be able to use the characters if they can; 2. some of their existing film MCU characters have notable relationships with the Netflix characters in the comics; 3. Ragnarok and Infinity War have demonstrated that Doctor Strange is better when paired with other characters; and 4. the films can't keep getting bigger; they have to go smaller and the Netflix characters provide an opportunity for that.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Lexi Alexander is fantastic; she got her start as a mixed martial artist and stunt performer. Kevin Tancharoen is very very good too; he started as a dance choreographer for Britney Spears and Madonna. What happens on many films is that the stunt coordinator or choreographer directs the action scenes maybe with some supervision by the second unit director. The reasons you wouldn't want a director who only excels at action scenes to direct the whole film is because some directors (Louis Leterrier and John Woo) can barely put together a meaningful scene when there is no punching. An action film is like a dance film or a singing film--the performance or action is supposed to illustrate the personal story, which is primarily not fighting, dancing, or singing. Regardless of the dance portions of Flashdance, the personal journey is the most important part of the film. The dance illustrates that.

Thanks, that explains it.

2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

the films can't keep getting bigger; they have to go smaller and the Netflix characters provide an opportunity for that.

Judging by the trailer,

Clint's family was Snapped out of existence and he's turned towards his Ronin persona in response to it. I know many people don't like Renner's interpretation of Hawkeye, but I would like to see him take on an expanded role.

If it's true that Evans and RDJ* are done after this, sidelining both Stark and Rogers for a while would free up a fair amount of screen time/story for other characters. Whether they always get the amount of focus some fans would like, Captain America and Iron Man are the front runners of the franchise, and recasting is a chore I would neither want nor wish on someone else.

As for the rest of it, I'm not sure many people who go to these movies are overly familiar with the comics. I'm one of them, and before the Netflix shows I wouldn't have known who those characters were if I found them in my soup. I do think Marvel can sell just about anything at this point, big or small, and clearly Endgame is as big as it gets. But Endgame is over a decade in the building, revealing one villain after another like nesting dolls before finally getting to Thanos. Captain Marvel will work because they're already going smaller with it, taking a step back into the past even though Carol Danvers will show up for the next confrontation with Thanos. That they've waited this long to give Natasha her own film might end up being for the best, since I doubt it will be so firmly tied in to already-established story.

*I could swear I read or heard that Downey was talking about not being in any more MCU films after Endgame, but I could be deceiving myself.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer

The question is can the current MCU return to being small after Thanos?

How do you go from a universe-wide apocalyptic battle to fighting Hydra agents?

In the smaller upcoming MCU spinoff films? Ok, sure. But in terms of the larger MCU? It's kind of problematic, imo.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Dee said:

In the smaller upcoming MCU spinoff films? Ok, sure. But in terms of the larger MCU? It's kind of problematic, imo.

Has there been any statements one way or the other about doing any more Avengers movies after Endgame? It seems like there are so many characters who could be Avengers and the big event team up movies have worked so well sofar for marvel. Personally I would love to see The Wasp join the team, maybe in a leadership role, with or without Ant man.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Dee said:

It's the same kind of question they ask (and the fans ask) after they do their gigantic crossovers in the comics. And the fact that the readers have gotten SO resentful of those crossovers says a lot because, yeah, a big world-changing event where all corners come together is pretty cool... except that they all go back to their corners afterwards. What's more, the storylines in each book get hijacked for the Big Crossover Event.

They used to work a lot harder to have solo adventures work with team adventures. Wolverine would disappear from the X-Men when his solo started because he was over in Japan or Madripoor doing stuff so they removed him from the X-book he was in and the team would be like 'Dammit, Logan's in Japan or whatever... he would have been helpful in this situation...' or even commenting that his constant running off was having an effect on the team as a whole. After crossovers became a huge thing, they just stopped trying... plus, characters like Wolverine are popular and they wanted him in every book they could cram him into.

With the MCU, you did have situations where you kind of wondered where everyone else was. What was Hawkeye up to when Cap, Sam and Nat took down SHIELD? Why didn't anyone show up in London when the Dark Elves drove their weird spikey ships into the landscape?

And I'm still salty about Cap 3 being more of an Avengers movie than anything else. I LIKE when they go back to a bit more contained and smaller. That's the point of the solo movies. You pare down the population and focus on this smaller handful rather than the 30 some heroes in a big event flick like Infinity Wars.

• Love 12
On 12/13/2018 at 9:35 PM, Dee said:

I think the MCU can go smaller. They've actually done it already. Civil War/Avengers 2.5 is the MCU pulling back to tell a smaller story. Avengers 1 is about brining the team together to stop an alien invasion. Avengers 2 is about stopping a killer robot from killing billions of people. 2.5 is a political argument that you'd have with family during Thanksgiving dinner.

Except for the Skrulls, most of the hanging threads are much smaller scale. Homecoming, both Ant-Man films, and even Black Panther have indicated that Hydra is still around, there are numerous shady organizations out there willing to buy and sell alien and hi-tech weapons, and SHIELD has a bunch of sketchy unaccounted for projects like Ghost's assassination program. There is also the fallout from the Wakanda revelation, rebuilding New Asgard, and Mordo killing wizards and consolidating magic.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 3
On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:35 AM, Dee said:

It depends on what characters they use. The Bucky and Falcon mini should be very small, in comparison. Just like the Winter Soldier comic books were - dealing with human scale corruption and crime. Presumably Hydra related, and who knows, they may have some of the Marvel TV characters guesting (I'd love to see Daredevil appear).

Black Widow would fit into that world as well, Hawkeye too. But as soon as you start getting superpowers involved, the questions arise about why they'd waste their time on relatively petty stuff, after fighting the biggest bad in the universe. I guess this is why the comics do periodic resets, to restore a status quo that they can then build up from (as well as creating launching points for potential new readers).

• Love 3

You need the smaller scale stories for the bigger ones to matter. If every movie is about some world ending event, they kind of stop mattering and losing their appeal.

That's part of the reason why Agents of Shield has always bugged me. The show is perfectly set up for fighting smaller scale bad guys and problems, but it seems like every season it is a bigger and bigger world ending or galaxy ending plot.

• Love 8
On 12/15/2018 at 7:03 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

You need the smaller scale stories for the bigger ones to matter. If every movie is about some world ending event, they kind of stop mattering and losing their appeal.

That's part of the reason why Agents of Shield has always bugged me. The show is perfectly set up for fighting smaller scale bad guys and problems, but it seems like every season it is a bigger and bigger world ending or galaxy ending plot.

You also need smaller scale stories because there is a growing power gap amongst the heroes of the MCU. There are individuals with cosmic powers and reality changing magic. But on the other hand, you have a bunch of people who are just (really good)  punchers and shooters. If you want to keep the punchers and shooters relevant then you need enemies they can realistically battle. 

Look at Infinity War when Thanos arrived on earth. He got there after Strange basically humored the punchers and shooters while withholding his knowledge on the eventual outcome. On earth Okoye wonders why the Scarlet Witch wasn't in the fight earlier, Thor arrives late to the fight (headshot dude!). And Captain Marvel is in the credits. 

How do you create compelling stories for what is essentially the B Team? ( Love ya T'Challa!)

Same thing applies to Wakanda. Now that their existence is public, how does it change the MCU? For example, what happens if Shuri is around for Ultron?

I think it will be a fascinating juggling act for Marvel. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, blueray said:

I read somewhere that Infinity War was suppose to appear on Netflix today. However it isn't on there.

Seems like you’re not the only one with that problem: https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/12/25/half-of-netflix-users-appear-to-be-complaining-they-cant-find-av/

But I just searched for “avengers” on the Netflix app and it showed up so it looks like Netflix solved the issue.

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 2
On 12/25/2018 at 11:27 AM, JessePinkman said:

Seems like you’re not the only one with that problem: https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/12/25/half-of-netflix-users-appear-to-be-complaining-they-cant-find-av/

But I just searched for “avengers” on the Netflix app and it showed up so it looks like Netflix solved the issue.

But why am I so amused that only HALF of Netflix users could find Infinity War?

Was that on purpose? Either way, it's not lost on me. Maybe it was Thanos fault. 

Edited by rachel is awesome
  • Love 16

Loki also being influenced by the Scepter in The Avengers has been confirmed by Marvel (and that also adds credence to the idea that all the others were being affected by it too and it fueled their bickering):

Arriving at the Sanctuary through a wormhole caused by the Bifrost, Loki met the Other, ruler of the ancient race of extraterrestrials the Chitauri, and Thanos. Offering the God of Mischief dominion over his brother’s favorite realm Earth, Thanos requested the Tesseract in return. Gifted with a Scepter that acted as a mind control device, Loki would be able to influence others. Unbeknownst to him, the Scepter was also influencing him, fueling his hatred over his brother Thor and the inhabitants of Earth.

Source.

• Love 4

From the Infinity War thread:

4 hours ago, Dee said:

One of the most frustrating things about the MCU is the Avengers 2.0 haven't had the proper opportunity to shine. The second phase of the MCU was such a jumbled mess that most of the third phase has been dedicated to fixing phase two's various mistakes. 

Frankly, I think it's both legal issues and just way too many characters. They can't give Banner his own movie even with Ruffalo in the role, so his development has had to be tucked in with everything else that's going on, like in AoU. I thought Whedon did a really good job of showing that Bruce's issues were still very much in play, that he can both put his hands on Wanda and keep the Hulk under wraps, but since then he's been relegated to supporting status.  I liked or at least didn't mind his attempt at a relationship with Natasha, but as was said in the other thread just the fact that Joss was steering that ship meant it was ninety percent doomed to end up sinking.

They really dropped the ball with Wanda after killing her brother off, and while I wouldn't have wanted her to go completely off the rails, there should have been something in the wake of his death. There was some stuff at the start of Civil War where she was still questioning whether she was just herself or someone new, but that got lost in the main plot of "let's have Tony and Steve turn into fourth graders after undergoing a personality exchange'.

And of course, there's Bucky, who isn't a character at all except as Steve's albatross/damsel in distress. Whatever can be said against Sam's character arc, he has way more agency than Barnes, and while the collective We have had to carbon-date Cap's friendships for the sake of world peace, there just ain't a whole lot of There there. That they have to give him his own series just for the chance that he can grow a little is telling, and honestly I don't think it's done Rogers a whole lot of favors either. Yes, Chris Evans angsts very handsomely, but when that's literally all there is to his friendship with Bucky, it isn't really an endorsement of why they spend so much time on it.

• Love 6

Apparently, The Merger is finally set for the end of January.  As of today, the Fox network, Fox News, Fox Sports, and the network-owned stations exist under a new corporate entity just called Fox.  Curious now to see if New Mutants ever sees the light of day.

At least they can start on a Fantastic Four movie that will actually be, y'know, good.

Ironically, Disney will now own the rights to the Adam West Batman.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, starri said:

Ironically, Disney will now own the rights to the Adam West Batman.

That is funny! Considering the Captain Marvel deal, I think that West's Batman will head back to WB pretty soon, though there may be money involved.

46 minutes ago, Joe said:

That is funny! Considering the Captain Marvel deal, I think that West's Batman will head back to WB pretty soon, though there may be money involved.

I am pretty sure that the Batman movie rights are separate from the TV series. But yea Disney seems to love making those deals. Also see the one where they let Fox change Negasonic Teenage Warhead's powers in exchange for the rights to use Ego. Or the one where they traded NBC Universal Frank Gifford for the rights to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.