Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

Welp, the purge continues at Netflix... Daredevil is done.  

I didn't watch the Daredevil series, but from what I've seen of the Defenders, Charlie Cox is a solid actor. Can they snatch him up for the MCU?

Given that Daredevil was one of their most critically successful and viewed shows, this really does feel like a Disney thing.

Edited by methodwriter85
2 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

Welp, the purge continues at Netflix... Daredevil is done.  

Daredevil's viewers had just started a campaign to get the show a fourth season, so this isn't that much of a surprise. I guess this leaves only Jessica Jones standing, which is the one Marvel Netflix show I've had time to get into and enjoy. Though at the rate they're going, it feels like a delay of the inevitable. Will the cancelled shows be moved to the Disney service when its unveiled?

7 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Daredevil's viewers had just started a campaign to get the show a fourth season, so this isn't that much of a surprise. I guess this leaves only Jessica Jones standing, which is the one Marvel Netflix show I've had time to get into and enjoy. Though at the rate they're going, it feels like a delay of the inevitable. Will the cancelled shows be moved to the Disney service when its unveiled?

The Punisher is still alive at this point too. Hopefully the showrunners of those shows will see the writing on the wall and write the season finales as series finales. If either one of them end on a cliffhanger I'll be super annoyed.

• Love 2

If you don't have time to watch Collider's  2-hour video above...

‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Production Secrets Spilled at ‘An Evening With The Russo Brothers’
Shannon Toohey   November 29, 2018
https://fanfest.com/2018/11/29/avengers-infinity-war-production-secrets-spilled-at-an-evening-with-the-russo-brothers/

The two joined for an event with fans Wednesday night at an event put on by Collider and ArcLight Cinemas presented as An Evening With The Russo Brothers.

• The brothers had originally planned to shoot Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers 4 at the same time. Them the stories became complex and they though[sic] they should treat them as separate stories and different films. A few months before shooting, the decision to shoot them consecutively was cemented.
  • In production meetings, the crew was getting confused about which scene was in what film, and it negatively affected the prep.
  • No one actor had the entire script. Only those who appeared in the film more had more access and knew more than the other actors did.
  • There were several fake scenes and scenes that were later removed in order to keep secrets.
  • There were three drafts of the film. One had Thanos as the film’s narrator, was non linear and include Black Order backstories. The script for that drafts was 250 pages long. The brothers say that writing out Thanos’ full narration helped them get better insight into his mind, even though the entire narration was scrapped.
  • There was a draft in which Thanos had already secured the Power Stone, but they felt like he was holding too many to start the film. That’s when they decided to open the film with the attack on the ship.
  • In order to get to the final draft, the plot was simplified, made more linear and allowed character moments to shine through. Going into production that script was kept to tightly, but during filming and on set, they were open to changing things.
  • Scheduling was complicated because things had to be shot out of order. The first day of shooting was the scene on Titan, with our heroes trying to think of a plan.
  • At times scenes would just be shot with stand ins, and months later, they would rebuild the scene and shoot it from the opposite side with the other actor and different stand in.
  • There was talk of involving the Netflix Marvel characters in the film, but they decided it was too complicated to correlate all the film and TV stories. They thought the story would best be told kept to the MCU characters.
  • They’ve discussed adding in Beta Ray Bill many times, but could never find a good fit.
  • The bit with Star Lord imitating Thor was written in the script. It was not improv.
  • The Russo Brothers say there is a reason why they don’t have many deleted scenes on the Blu-Rays. In the script, they try to make sure they get it right.
  • The Russo Brothers say they consider their final edits their Directors Cuts.
  • The brothers say Josh Brolin looked ridiculous on set because of his black, white and green pajamas. They had ping pong balls all over them and a face tracking rig. He had a pole strapped to his back, and the actors would look up at it to get Thanos’ eyeline.

The brothers even shared their favorite Infinity War moments. Joe’s might be a popular fan favorite-when Thor arrives in Wakanda.

Anthony’s favorite moment is when Wanda is forced to destroy Vision’s stone.

Russo Brothers Dish out ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Facts
Shannon Toohey  November 30, 2018
https://fanfest.com/2018/11/30/russo-brothers-dish-out-avengers-infinity-war-facts/

In once scene in Infinity War, Thanos takes down The Hulk swiftly, even though the two are the same size. You’d think that fight would have been a fair one. The brothers shared that the reason he was able to so easily beat Hulk was not because of the Power Stone, but because he was more calculated and smarter in his fighting choices.

As far as Tony and Steve’s relationship goes, it’s safe to say it’s on Tony’s mind. They initially added a scene with Pepper and Tony at the Stark home, as Tony sits in a lawn chair. He is fiddling with Steve’s flip cellphone. Pepper comes home to find him there. The brothers say the scene didn’t work so they ended up removing it.
Another question some fans wonder, is if Stormbreaker is more powerful than the Infinity Gauntlet. They say no. Thanos just didn’t know what was coming and wasn’t prepared to react properly and use the stones well enough.

Red Skull was also discussed. Apparently, Hugo Weaving was asked to return and reprise Red Skull, but it ended up being The Walking Dead‘s Ross Marquand instead. There’s no word on if Red Skull will be back for Avengers 4, but Marquand gave his answer recently on Talking Dead.

They played around with the Soul Stone guard being someone else, but screenwriters from the first Avengers film fought for him to return.

The brothers explained that Red Skull had been on quite a journey since the events of Captain America. He is a ghost and was protector of the Soul Stone
Hugo Weaving was asked to return to reprise Red Skull, that’s all the Russo Brothers would say. The Soul stone was the last stone in writing for them to come up with.

They explored other ideas for the final shot but Thanos smiling at the sunset was an idea they came to very early on when the writers realized it was Thanos’ movie. He was serving an idea larger than himself, and that’s why Thanos is a hero in his own mind.

The Soul Stone has the ability to manipulate your soul and your essence of who you are. Thanks[sic] uses the Soul Stone to pull Strange out of his own body when he’s multiple Stranges. Thanos also uses the soul stone to talk to his dead daughter.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
On 11/30/2018 at 12:38 AM, tennisgurl said:

God dang, what is going on at Netflix? Is this just a part of Netflix generally cancelling more shows, or is this a Disney thing?

Couldn't they have saved everyone a lot of trouble and just bought Netflix instead?

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, starri said:

Couldn't they have saved everyone a lot of trouble and just bought Netflix instead?

Maybe, but to put it in perspective based on share price it would cost Disney more to buy Netflix than it did to buy Lucasfilm, Marvel and Fox combined.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, starri said:

2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Maybe, but to put it in perspective based on share price it would cost Disney more to buy Netflix than it did to buy Lucasfilm, Marvel and Fox combined.

Disney already owned 30% of Hulu. After the deal is finalized, they'll own 60%. AT&T is also contemplating selling Disney their 10% stake. There is no sense in shelling out big bucks to acquire Netflix when they are just about to become a majority owner of one of of Netflix' rivals. If DisHulu can retain their next day streaming contracts AND their live TV function, they actually are a real spoiler for Netflix.

• Love 1

I think Netflix is shedding their Marvel properties because 1.) expensive to produce, and 2.) they want to focus more and more on their in-house productions because it's better for them in the long-run. They know that more and more platforms are going to be released and they're trying to build up a library they don't have to lease in order to stream.

If I've read this article right, the football starts at 8.20 US eastern time. So the trailer will be some time after that. Probably about five minutes after I leave for work. Why are Disney trailers always scheduled for the middle of one of their programs? If I lived in the US and had limited internet access, I'd be pretty peeved. I don't want to watch sport, or some morning show, I just want the trailer.

30 minutes ago, Joe said:

If I've read this article right, the football starts at 8.20 US eastern time. So the trailer will be some time after that. Probably about five minutes after I leave for work. Why are Disney trailers always scheduled for the middle of one of their programs? If I lived in the US and had limited internet access, I'd be pretty peeved. I don't want to watch sport, or some morning show, I just want the trailer.

From what I understand, the trailer will air during halftime. I don't watch ESPN like ever, but I want to see the trailer. I guess I'll have to mute the game and keep tabs so I don't miss it, which is annoying, but I guess there's a plan in place.

I hope Brie Larsen knows what she's in for when the press tour ramps up. Cause she's going to have to go from the Captain Marvel tour almost straight into the three-ring circus that is the A4 tour. Hopefully SLJ or Tom Hiddleston clued her in on what to expect when they all shot Skull Island together.

I almost feel bad for the Disney marketing juggernaut in 2019. Starting with Mary Poppins Returns they have almost no down time. Captain Marvel, A4, Dumbio, Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Story 4 and Star Wars 9 are all going to be an absolute blitz of marking just one after the other.

On the other hand they're pretty much printing money at this point...

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Dee said:

The Shang-Chi film is gonna flop hard.

I don't see how. Just as China saved the Pacific Rim franchise the subject matter alone almost insures that it gets the prime time opening date in the secondary, becoming primary market. It would take an Inhumans level of bad for the movie to actually flop.

• Love 4

I'm really looking forward to a Shang-Chi film.  He's a good character with a great hook and he also gets around the Iron Fist/Danny Rand issue.  I wouldn't even bother trying to strongly tie it into the MCU since the story should stand up on its own.  Plus I've been waiting for a good Marvel martial arts movie forever.  I'm assuming they can't use Fu Manchu as his dad which is probably for the best although an Agents of Atlas twist would be fun if they went that direction.   Which reminds me, I'd love to see Jimmy Woo show up as Shang-Chi's contact (and then maybe we can actually get an Agents of Atlas movie).

• Love 1

I really hope they go the Black Panther route with Shang-Chi and have an all Asian or nearly entirely Asian cast (I guess that'd be the Crazy Rich Asians route in this case).  It'd be great if they could go pretty authentic and get mostly people of Chinese descent but I'll take what I can get.  I would also love to see Ming-Na Wen in this, if this takes place in the past she can be a Shield Agent and they wouldn't even need to digitally de-age her to pull it off.  

Edited by Matt K
  • Love 4
On 12/3/2018 at 6:48 PM, Dee said:

The Shang-Chi film is gonna flop hard.

Pretty sure people said the same thing about Ant-Man and Black Panther and Guardians of the Galaxy. I am pretty sure people said that a movie about Iron Man was a big risk back in the day.

Personally, even though I have no reference to Shang-Chi, a martial arts movie with a Marvel budget sounds awesome. Some crazy wire work in an MCU movie would be really cool.

20 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I almost feel bad for the Disney marketing juggernaut in 2019. Starting with Mary Poppins Returns they have almost no down time. Captain Marvel, A4, Dumbio, Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Story 4 and Star Wars 9 are all going to be an absolute blitz of marking just one after the other.

Also Frozen 2 and what ever kind of marketing they put behind the Disney streaming service means people are going to be talking about their stuff all the time.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 2

Although any possibility of this actually happening were basically nuked over the past few months, I really wanted Shang-Chi to show up on one of the Netflix shows.  I'm actually still a bit surprised it didn't happen.  He fits in with that corner of the MU pretty well.

I never really knew about Shang-Chi but it has the makings of an awesome movie. If the do go the Crazy Rich Asians route and us an all Asian cast, there's a lot to work with.  I'm hoping for John Cho, and Michelle Yeoh.

As for using Fu Manchu in the movie, the early books are public domain but the Rohmer estate still holds the trademark. In the past Marvel apparently would call him by another name or just not mention his name at all. Although considering the baggage with the character, it may be better if they didn't use Fu Manchu.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Pretty sure people said the same thing about Ant-Man and Black Panther and Guardians of the Galaxy. I am pretty sure people said that a movie about Iron Man was a big risk back in the day.

Personally, even though I have no reference to Shang-Chi, a martial arts movie with a Marvel budget sounds awesome. Some crazy wire work in an MCU movie would be really cool.

I don't have a problem with Asian heroes (the more the merrier), but this seems ill advised.

It's one thing to create a film about relevant Asian superheroes (*cough*KamalaKhanJubileeSunfireKarmaAmadeusCho*cough), it's another to rush a film based on a Z level character due to the success of Black Panther & Asian August imo.

Edited by Dee
32 minutes ago, Lugal said:

I'm hoping for John Cho, and Michelle Yeoh.

If I'm Marvel I've got Michelle Yeoh and Chow Yun Fat at the top of my preferred cast list.  For anything because COME ON! 

I totally agree on wanting John Cho as well.  He's always so great no matter what role he's playing.

Regarding Captain Marvel, I've never related to Nick Fury more than when he was cooing over Goose.  You ALWAYS stop when there's a kitteh in the vicinity.  I don't make the rules.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, starri said:

Although any possibility of this actually happening were basically nuked over the past few months, I really wanted Shang-Chi to show up on one of the Netflix shows.  I'm actually still a bit surprised it didn't happen.  He fits in with that corner of the MU pretty well.

I would rather it be a movie. If there is one thing Iron Fist taught me is that TV doesn't really have the budget and the shooting schedule to develop really kick ass fight scenes like a movie can. I am hoping for something with martial arts that will wow people the same way The Matrix and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon did when they came out. I am also thinking about how people compared Winter Soldier to classic spy movies and GotG to classic space movies, make this the same thing but for classic kung fu movies.

5 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

If I'm Marvel I've got Michelle Yeoh and Chow Yun Fat at the top of my preferred cast list.  For anything because COME ON! 

Again not knowing anything about the character, would there be a role for Jackie Chan? Since I think I need to see him in an MCU movie.

10 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Again not knowing anything about the character, would there be a role for Jackie Chan? Since I think I need to see him in an MCU movie.

I think I would prefer Jet Li to Jackie Chan even though I love Jackie's movies more.

I do wonder if Michelle, Jackie, Jet and Chow Yu Fat would be just too old? Although, maybe the script will have roles for older/wiser/mentor type characters.

Speaking of Crazy Rich Asians can we get hottie Nick? 

Oh and more casting Donnie Yen 😁

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, starri said:

Isn't Jet Li in really poor health now?

I hadn't heard anything about that. Donnie Yen recently posted a picture of Jet Li and himself after wrapping on Mulan.

Seconding casting Donnie Yen (though after Rogue One came out he was campaigning to play Namor.)

Edited by scriggle
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I think I would prefer Jet Li to Jackie Chan even though I love Jackie's movies more.

I do wonder if Michelle, Jackie, Jet and Chow Yu Fat would be just too old? Although, maybe the script will have roles for older/wiser/mentor type characters.

Speaking of Crazy Rich Asians can we get hottie Nick? 

Oh and more casting Donnie Yen 😁

Lets see Iron Man had Jeff Bridges, Thor with Anthony Hopkins, Captain America with Tommy Lee Jones, Ant-Man with Michael Douglas, The Guardians Of The Galaxy with Glen Close and Michael Rooker, Dr Strange with Tilda Swinton and Spider-Man with a 10 years since the beginning of the MCU Robert Downey Jr.. I think they almost always have an elder mentor role in a MCU origin movie.

13 hours ago, Matt K said:

I'm really looking forward to a Shang-Chi film.  He's a good character with a great hook and he also gets around the Iron Fist/Danny Rand issue.  I wouldn't even bother trying to strongly tie it into the MCU since the story should stand up on its own.  Plus I've been waiting for a good Marvel martial arts movie forever.  I'm assuming they can't use Fu Manchu as his dad which is probably for the best although an Agents of Atlas twist would be fun if they went that direction.   Which reminds me, I'd love to see Jimmy Woo show up as Shang-Chi's contact (and then maybe we can actually get an Agents of Atlas movie).

One of the reasons that Black Panther was probably a little easier to adapt was because the most problematic character in the canon was the Man-Ape, M'Baku. Luckily, Man-Ape had been identified as M'Baku in the comics for some time too. So it was a lot easier to substitute one name for the other. However, Fu Manchu has always been hateful yellow peril stereotype. And the fact that every live action version of the character based on the Rohmer books has been played by a white guy in yellow face is possibly an insurmountable impediment.

I think to make Shang Chi work while keeping his raison d'etre, they'll have to resurrect the Ten Rings, the Council of Nine, and...ugh...The Hand. And rather than making his father a retrograde stereotype, the films could set his father up as an industrialist and power player whose influence actually could have an impact on the MCU as they reacquire certain properties. Perhaps his father appears in the MCU before Shang Chi to set up something like Secret Empire.

Edited by HunterHunted
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

One of the reasons that Black Panther was probably a little easier to adapt was because the most problematic character in the canon was the Man-Ape, M'Baku. Luckily, Man-Ape had been identified as M'Baku in the comics for some time too. So it was a lot easier to substitute one name for the other. However, Fu Manchu has always been hateful yellow peril stereotype. And the fact that every live action version of the character based on the Rohmer books has been played by a white guy in yellow face is possibly an insurmountable impediment.

I think to make Shang Chi work while keeping his raison d'etre, they'll have to resurrect the Ten Rings, the Council of Nine, and...ugh...The Hand. And rather than making his father a retrograde stereotype, the films could set his father up as an industrialist and power player whose influence actually could have an impact on the MCU as they reacquire certain properties. Perhaps his father appears in the MCU before Shang Chi to set up something like Secret Empire.

I think that the  Fu Manchu portrayal would be side stepped just like The Mandarin was for Iron-Man 

Anyone interested in seeing Shang Chi in comics action, he showed up in the Domino comic a few issues ago. It was a good story; I wasn't familiar with him before I enjoyed "meeting" him. I look forward to him being in the MCU -- I like the Marvel movies that do their own riff on a genre best (e.g., Ant-Man as heist film, Winter Soldier as political thriller, GotG as space opera, etc.). So, like some others here, I'm keen to see how they'd do a martial arts action piece.

• Love 1

Watching The Losers because...Chris Evans.

MCU took half the main cast, Chris Evans, Zoe Saldona and Idris Alba (mmmm, Idris)

DC stole Jeffrey Dean Morgan

ETA: just realized The Losers was vased on a DC Comic, so I guess MCU poached from DC 

21 hours ago, scriggle said:

Seconding casting Donnie Yen (though after Rogue One came out he was campaigning to play Namor.)

Oh, I will wait for Donnie to play Namor if they ever get that off the ground. I think MCU owns Namor's rights

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1