Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I just can't put myself through Tom Hardy attempting another weird accent and failing horribly for two hours.

I can't either. I just don't "get" Tom Hardy but that is something I should probably put in the UO thread. Bringing it back on topic, I'm glad that him being in this movie means he likely won't end up in the MCU. *fingers crossed*

• Love 6
1 hour ago, festivus said:

I can't either. I just don't "get" Tom Hardy but that is something I should probably put in the UO thread. Bringing it back on topic, I'm glad that him being in this movie means he likely won't end up in the MCU. *fingers crossed*

Hilarious! I don't see Hardy's "it" to get these major leading roles either. He is just there and barely so. With any luck, playing both Bane and Venom puts Hardy on the MCU no cast list for major superheros (if it exists). 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

Here's the thing about Venom: I don't care.

I cared about Iron Man because I gave a surprising amount of shits for RDJ. I'm in my 40s, people. He was in Weird Science. I remember seeing Chaplin in theaters. I gave a shit.

I cared about Captain America because I actually liked Captain America.

I cared about Thor because I'm mostly Nordic and I'm a huge mythology nerd.

I don't care about Venom. I just don't. So... yeah. Don't care. Not interested. Won't see it. If it was the most amazing movie ever made (doubt it) it would still be questionable as to whether or not I'd see it when it came out on the movie channels. Just... don't care. Not in the least.

• Love 11
On 10/6/2018 at 6:28 PM, blueray said:

I haven't seen it but I was listening to the radio and the DJ's were discussing it. They said that there was a scandal regarding fans of Lady Gaga bashing the movie as they wanted people to see her movie instead. From what screen junkies said (in non-spoiler videos) it was good but different from what they thought it would be. I hope to see it at some point, probably on-damand.

now that's twisted lul :P

5 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Should we be discussing Venom in this thread?  It's not part of the MCU, Venom is a Sony production in a separate (non Spidey Universe)

1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

It's not a Marvel property yet.

I think Sony was hoping that it would be rolled in along with their other Spider-Man holdings but the critical failure may tell Feige  to turn down that opportunity

Wow no matter what you think about the whole James Gunn thing it is a pretty impressive level of loyalty that Bautista is basically willing to blow up his career to work with him. I mean going from Guardians to Suicide Squad, if it happens, would be a huge step down I would think.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

Bautista has been so fucking annoying about all of this. Good riddance to both of them.

Yeah, I haven't been a fan of Bautista's sustained hissy fit over his creepy friend either.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

Bautista has been so fucking annoying about all of this. Good riddance to both of them.

1 hour ago, benteen said:

Yeah, I haven't been a fan of Bautista's sustained hissy fit over his creepy friend either.

Seriously. They both can't get on their bikes soon enough. I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin Feige feels the same way. Bautista taking a role with DCEU means that Feige doesn't have to fire him and he can end the character without fans becoming outraged.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 11

I find Bautista's Drax to be very entertaining but he needs to remember he's not close to being the star like another ex-wrestler Dwayne Johnson is (and doesn't half has of his talent either).  He's a lot more easily replaceable than he thinks he is.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

I find Bautista really weird about this. Like sure, I agree that it was ridiculous for Disney to fire Gunn over tweets ten year's old that they presumably already knew about when they hired him, but OTOH, the tweets were really, really gross. It wasn't an injustice to end all injustices. It was just a minor corporate hypocrisy, and Gunn was very obviously going to be okay. Making your point is fine--arguably even good--but then it's time to be a professional.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, benteen said:

I find Bautista's Drax to be very entertaining but he needs to remember he's not close to being the star like another ex-wrestler Dwayne Johnson is (and doesn't half has of his talent either).  He's a lot more easily replaceable than he thinks he is.

I suspect that Dave knows exactly how replaceable he is and this is a big part of the reason that he is so strongly siding with a successful Director who likes him and will probably cast him in future projects over sticking with being the most easily replaced live action performer in the Guardians franchise with some new director that he has no relationship with.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Perfect Xero said:

I suspect that Dave knows exactly how replaceable he is and this is a big part of the reason that he is so strongly siding with a successful Director who likes him and will probably cast him in future projects over sticking with being the most easily replaced live action performer in the Guardians franchise with some new director that he has no relationship with.

Gunn is one director.  Disney has a huge reach that's about to be even huger.  Someone should probably point that out to him.

I thought the statements that the actors put out in the wake of Gunn's firing to be admirable, but the rest of them seem to have shut up and moved on...except for Bautista.  Gunn has also moved out, obviously, and doesn't seem to make any comment with every burp and fart in his career.  It's basically obliterated any charitable feelings I had for Bautista.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, starri said:

Gunn is one director.  Disney has a huge reach that's about to be even huger.  Someone should probably point that out to him.

Exactly. It isn't like Gunn is going to or can cast Bautista in every film that he directs. And it isn't like Disney only produces MCU movies and it has partnerships with other studios. If Disney cared enough to blackball him, Bautista would have a tough time.

• Love 2
(edited to remove link to tweet, Brie has apparently said the THR report is untrue) 

There is also a (possible) summary of an A4 trailer floating around twitter (that sounds like it could, maybe, possibly be legit, but who knows), so if you're spoiler phobic, be warned.  

In other news...
Spoiler

Also, there are pics out there from Hot Toys of Avengers in suits that look like Quantum Realm traveling suits... so I'm guessing they'll probably be able to go anywhere/when even without the time stone.  

I like the idea that Thanos' actions actually broke the cosmic universe rather than 'bringing it into balance'.

Edited by Wynterwolf
On 9/24/2018 at 9:15 AM, Wynterwolf said:

So I rewatched Ultron over the weekend (only the third time I’ve watched it and certain parts are still painfully terrible), but there was an interesting conversation between Steve and Sam at Tony’s party that I hadn’t paid much attention to before, where they had been talking about Sam following “cold leads” on their “missing persons case,” then Sam asks Steve if he’s found a place in Brooklyn yet, and Steve says, “I don’t think I can afford a place in Brooklyn.” 

Then Sam replies with, “Well, home is home, you know?” and Steve gets a very meaningful look on his face that (you can interpret any way that seems logical, but) to me says, because of the way the conversation flowed, that:  Bucky is essentially ‘home’ for Steve.  And then with hallucination!Peggy, telling him he can come ‘home’, and with Ultron taunting him that he’s only pretending to know how to live without a war (following from Steve's comment to Sam in WS that he didn’t know what else he’d do, and his conversation with Peggy about thinking he could ‘serve’, but not finding it fulfilling anymore, and Peggy’s ‘I got to live my life, but you never got to live yours’), and how awkward he is at Clint’s place… Steve really wants to ‘come home’, but he doesn’t know how without something to come home to

Cue the set up for Civil War and how hard Steve fought to bring Bucky ‘home’ alive.  Then later with Bucky’s, “I don’t know if I’m worth all this, Steve.” (for me, now harkening back to Steve’s comment about not being sure he could “afford” Brooklyn), and at that moment, Steve is certain that Bucky is worth it, and he’ll pay whatever price he has to. 

Brooklyn= Bucky=Home. 

Which (**cough**)… leads perfectly into my A4 headcanon that the prefect ending to Steve’s arc is for PresumedDead!Steve to be able to come ‘home’ to/with Bucky to Wakanda (especially with how often Bucky has been taken away from him). 

And after A4 he’ll totally be able to do that, he can let it all go because he’ll  know that everything is in good hands with Carol Danvers (and probably Fury to help handle all that tricky political stuff) as the leader of the re-imagined Avengers, as well as T’Challa and Peter (and others).  And because ActualDead!Steve just really doesn’t fulfill that arc, dammit.

Yes, this! All of the above. Steve's life is so damned sad already, my heart can't handle him dying without ever having found some sustained happiness in his life. Also, I don't want to make a complete fool of myself in the theater with the hysterics, and the wailing, and the whole miserable, sobbing mess of a wreck that I will become. Shit.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Not a surprise, but it's nice to have it official.

He's gotta be feeling enormous pressure to repeat the original's success.

Anything short of him creating another billion dollar cultural landmark and the press will be all over him.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Dee said:

He's gotta be feeling enormous pressure to repeat the original's success.

Anything short of him creating another billion dollar cultural landmark and the press will be all over him.

True. I hope that he is given creative control like before and I hope that he gets a nice budget as well. 

I hope we get to see more of Wakanda and it's inhabitants in the sequel. 

• Love 2

I hope that the Black Panther cast gets a huge raise. Chas Boseman got $2 million compared to Brie Larson's $5 million although Marvel usually gives the cast a cut of the profits so he and the rest of the main cast probably raked in quite a bit more.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I hope that the Black Panther cast gets a huge raise. Chas Boseman got $2 million compared to Brie Larson's $5 million although Marvel usually gives the cast a cut of the profits so he and the rest of the main cast probably raked in quite a bit more.

They're both lucky to join at this point of the MCU. They paid Hemsworth so badly that Sam Jackson got pissed off on Hemsworth's behalf when they were filming Avengers. I think he went from $150,000 for Thor to $500,000 for Avengers.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

They're both lucky to join at this point of the MCU. They paid Hemsworth so badly that Sam Jackson got pissed off on Hemsworth's behalf when they were filming Avengers. I think he went from $150,000 for Thor to $500,000 for Avengers.

Marvel is notoriously cheap. My favorite fact to back that up is how Terrance Howard got paid more for Iron Man than RDJ. But in this case it is hard to get too upset just because there are so many factors that go into figuring out how much an actir gets paid. Maybe Larson had other big movie offer she turned down to play CM, maybe she is in more of the movie and was on set for more days so that was a factor. Maybe she has a better agent. Maybe the fact that she will likely be important in stopping Thanos while T'challla got dusted means something.

Also speaking of Brie Larson, I just saw Ant Man and the Wasp last week and it reminded me of something. I watched 13 Going On 30 with my kids in the summer and realized there are 4 people with MCU roles in that movie. It had Marc Ruffalo as the male lead, Andy Serkis (Klaue) as the boss, Judy Greer (Scott Lang's ex) as Jennifer Garner's rival and a young Brie Larson as a friend of the young version of Judy Greer. Its crazy, if you told me in 2004 when this movie came out that in the future there would be an MCU with 4 actors from this movie and none of them would be Jennifer Garner I would have laughed and laughed.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

My favorite fact to back that up is how Terrance Howard got paid more for Iron Man than RDJ.

Wasn't Iron Man made at the tail end of the period where RDJ was basically uninsurable?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, starri said:

Wasn't Iron Man made at the tail end of the period where RDJ was basically uninsurable?

Yep. And Terrence allegedly used his influence to help RDJ land the role, only to be majorly screwed in the aftermath,

• Love 3
12 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Apparently there is a distracted driving warning at the end of the credits of Doctor Strange.

I remember seeing that and we thought it was a continuation of the joke from the movie of the warnings being at the end instead of up front. (Not that distracted driving is a joke, because it's not and what was shown could definitely happen. Just the warning part of it.)

7 hours ago, Dee said:

Yep. And Terrence allegedly used his influence to help RDJ land the role, only to be majorly screwed in the aftermath,

He was just using his rheterrycal skills and Terryology to advocate for his friend.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/terrence-howards-dangerous-mind-37057/

https://mashable.com/2015/09/14/terrence-howard-one-times-one/#3cZMKtDfl5qy

https://mashable.com/2015/09/14/terrence-howard-one-times-one/#3cZMKtDfl5qy

He did witness his father stab a man to death while they were in line to visit Santa at a Cleveland department store, so I guess it stands to reason that he's pretty screwed up. I suppose we can thank divine beings that he never hooked with Halle Berry (another Cleveland native with massive father issues). They would have produced beautiful, but profoundly fucked up children.

44 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

I remember seeing that and we thought it was a continuation of the joke from the movie of the warnings being at the end instead of up front. (Not that distracted driving is a joke, because it's not and what was shown could definitely happen. Just the warning part of it.)

There's no way this is a joke. That's pretty standard warning, disclaimer and indemnification language.

2 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

I remember when I saw the movie I took that as "like don't try this at home". It it really isn't a joke and it is a serious issue.

• Love 2

'Avengers 4' Directors Announce Film Has Wrapped With Puzzling Photo

Joe and Anthony Russo on Friday announced that production had wrapped on their highly-anticipated Avengers 4 — but they also left fans scratching their heads. 

Along with tweeting their news, the brothers' account also shared a picture of a bright blue glowing light.

Marvel fans immediately went into overdrive trying to figure out what it meant.

Edited by Dee

Look forward to seeing what people come up with.

I was checking out the tweets to that picture and some people alter the color to try to see the shape and I'm thinking it looks a little like Captain America's pod (used to inject the super soldier serum).

It could also be the Adam pod from GoTG2 

Edited by Morrigan2575
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I didn't know that he has the juice to do that.

It's how they announced the release date change for Infinity War. RDJ tweeted it and... it happened.  It was very cool.  

I haven't looked at the release schedule, but if like IW, A4 is scheduled to release anywhere in the world earlier than in the US, then I'm assuming the US date will be moved.  

• Love 2
On 9/24/2018 at 7:15 AM, Wynterwolf said:

Brooklyn= Bucky=Home. 

Apologies for quoting myself, but I'm so very fond of the above mentioned theme related to Steve's character arc, so when I had to privilege to see CE at Ace Comic Con in Chicago this past weekend, and he said this (he was asked how Steve would deal with basically having seen Bucky die in front of him twice):

I... got a little emotional.  It was a great weekend and Chris Evans is an amazing person.  

• Love 10
On 10/13/2018 at 11:32 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

Also speaking of Brie Larson, I just saw Ant Man and the Wasp last week and it reminded me of something. I watched 13 Going On 30 with my kids in the summer and realized there are 4 people with MCU roles in that movie. It had Marc Ruffalo as the male lead, Andy Serkis (Klaue) as the boss, Judy Greer (Scott Lang's ex) as Jennifer Garner's rival and a young Brie Larson as a friend of the young version of Judy Greer. Its crazy, if you told me in 2004 when this movie came out that in the future there would be an MCU with 4 actors from this movie and none of them would be Jennifer Garner I would have laughed and laughed.

Watch 'What's Your Number?' because it's the same thing. There is a SHOCKING amount of MCU people in that flick. It was on sometime last year and I watched it for the hell of it (rom coms are very hit or miss with me) and I actually liked that one a lot but the sheer amount of MCU players had me cracking up.