Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

On 3/13/2019 at 10:44 AM, Wynterwolf said:

I think present day SHIELD had is origins in the SSR from Agent Carter days, but sometime after WWII changed it's name to SHIELD, but given the top secret type things they were working on (i.e. Howard's Super Soldier serum, the Pym Particle), they purposely kept a low profile (size of their building notwithstanding... it was probably just dismissed as a Big Government Building) and didn't make the existence of enhanced or extra-terrestrial beings public knowledge until after Thor very publicly showed up (Enhanced!Steve was always believed to be a one-time-thing and I don't think the general public really knew just how enhanced he was), so they were still trying to keep a low-ish profile when Tony basically blew the lid off things in the first Iron Man.  Hydra obviously knew they existed before that.

For the uninitiated with things Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Red Skull in Captain America  The First Avenger was basically sneering at the wing and origin of the many headed Hydra that worshipped an Inhuman 

2 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

So what was the point of all that drama? Too bad for the franchise. It would have benefited from a good long rest and breath of fresh air. 

That Disney had first caved to alt-right trolls and finally decided "Eff them!". GOTG is Gunn's vision as as Ragnarok was Taika's. I'm glad he's is finishing the trilogy.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 12
5 minutes ago, benteen said:

At least we don't have to listen to Bautista whining anymore.  He can work with his creepy friend again.

Gawd. Boy, did Bautista work my last nerve with his whinging. I can picture them yukking up over their pedophilia and rape jokes on the set. 

Wait, isn't Gunn directing Suicide Squad 2 also. Ick. Disney deserves to have some of DC bad mojo rub off on it.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

So what was the point of all that drama? Too bad for the franchise. It would have benefited from a good long rest and breath of fresh air. 

I agree with this. Choosing a new director for GOTG3 meant that the movie had the possibility of doing something radically different from the first two that would let the franchise climb to new heights. With Gunn, the third movie will be more of the same.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I agree with this. Choosing a new director for GOTG3 meant that the movie had the possibility of doing something radically different from the first two that would let the franchise climb to new heights. With Gunn, the third movie will be more of the same.

The second Guardians movie did better at the box office than the first, but I thought it was weak and lacking creatively. It felt like the franchise is spiraling downwards creatively. Marvel should have done the same thing that with Guardians as it did with Thor Raganok; give it a new vision with a new director. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

Gunn had co-writer Nicole Perlman for the first one. He wrote the second one by himself. It was okay and I know it made more money but like others said I think it would help Guardians to have some new blood to help it creatively. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Gunn had co-writer Nicole Perlman for the first one. He wrote the second one by himself. It was okay and I know it made more money but like others said I think it would help Guardians to have some new blood to help it creatively. 

Nicole Perlman wrote the first draft and she was the one who made it about the current incarnation of the Guardians with Starlord and Rocket. Gunn came in, re-wrote it into a different thing, like a "Dirty Dozen" Also Quill's walkman and the 70s soundtrack was his idea.

31 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

The second Guardians movie did better at the box office than the first, but I thought it was weak and lacking creatively. It felt like the franchise is spiraling downwards creatively. Marvel should have done the same thing that with Guardians as it did with Thor Raganok; give it a new vision with a new director. 

YMMV. I thought Volume 2 explored the characters more and wasn't just repeating the first movie. The fact is, it did make more money so there wasn't any reason to change from a financial perspective.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, benteen said:

I thought Volume 2 did a great job with the character development but was surprised that it had much less action than the first movie.  I prefer the first movie.

I thought Volume 2 *tried* to be a deeper and more character-driven movie than GOTG, but the script was too weak and shallow to let it actually succeed, and it rehashed too many beats from the first GOTG. I do give Volume 2 props for having a much better final battle than Volume 1, though. IMO the dance-off was so dumb I felt myself losing brain cells just from watching.

I don’t think the fact that GOTG2 made more money than GOTG means a whole lot one way or the other, though. Let’s be real, Marvel could roll ME out as the director of any of the next phase movies and it would still make more money than its predecessor(s). Other than Age of Ultron (which I know was creatively disappointing but which was also up against a monumental task), has there been a MCU sequel yet that hasn’t made more money than its predecessor?

• Love 3

Another writer would have softened Rocket for Volume 2. Made him more lovable. Gunn instead made him a BIGGER asshole but it's for a purpose. Rocket is a seriously damaged individual(they all are) and he lashes out in negative ways. Yondu calling him out that it's because he's afraid he'll get hurt is the reason Rocket able to comfort Thor in Infinity War.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

Eh, I preferred the first Guardians film easily, but I still enjoyed the second one enough that I'm fine with them letting James Gunn finish the trilogy.  I know they are making it sound like this was the plan all along, but I do suspect that it mainly stems from Gunn getting the Suicide Squad 2 gig with no real pushback, and Disney realizing that the controversy was likely overblown (because I definitely suspect Marvel/Kevin Feige never wanted to "fire" him in the first place.)  But if it ends up underwhelming and being considered a disappointment, I'm fine with them attempting a fresh start with someone else.

Honestly though, when it comes to the Guardians, I'm more curious about the longevity of Quill, because I know Chris Pratt seems to have fallen out of favor lately due to his personal and religious views, and while I usually don't put too much stock with stuff like that (see: every well-known jerk or crazy actor that still can make bank), it does feel like Starlord isn't as loved as he use to be.  Hell, whenever the Guardians of brought up, the thing I usually hear now is fans wanting to see Rocket and Groot team up with Thor for a full length movie due to their scenes in Infinity War standing out.  So, once Gunn's trilogy is done, I'm curious to see if a new character will become the "face" of the Guardians, or if there will be even more casting changes (wouldn't be surprise if Dave Bautista still wants out despite them hiring Gunn back.)  

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Another writer would have softened Rocket for Volume 2. Made him more lovable. Gunn instead made him a BIGGER asshole but it's for a purpose. Rocket is a seriously damaged individual(they all are) and he lashes out in negative ways. Yondu calling him out that it's because he's afraid he'll get hurt is the reason Rocket able to comfort Thor in Infinity War.

I am also not sure how many comic book directors would have bothered with the Gamora/Nebula stuff in volume 2. Their scenes were some of my favourite parts of that movie and really got me excited for Infonity War. Honestly I am just glad Gunn is coming back.

• Love 7

I think I'm the weirdo who liked vol 2 more.  I can't put my finger on why, but the thing in these movies is they always get me on their side if they have particularly strong emotional beats.  The stuff with Gamora and Nebula, Gamora telling Quill that she thought he already had found his family, and especially everything with Yondu did it for me.

Regardless, if it means Bautista stops whining, I'm all for it.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, SimoneS said:

So what was the point of all that drama?

I always assumed that Disney was worried that right wing anger over Gunn keeping his job after Roseanne got fired would cause the government to deny the merger. So, I'm not surprised that the news came out right before the merger is completed next week.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Gawd. Boy, did Bautista work my last nerve with his whinging. I can picture them yukking up over their pedophilia and rape jokes on the set. 

Wait, isn't Gunn directing Suicide Squad 2 also. Ick. Disney deserves to have some of DC bad mojo rub off on it.

Well I'm glad the entire cast were loyal and stuck by him because if one or more of them had been like "Good riddance to that pervert!" it would have been awkwaaaard.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Well I'm glad the entire cast were loyal and stuck by him because if one or more of them had been like "Good riddance to that pervert!" it would have been awkwaaaard.

Concur. If I was going to war I would want Dave Bautista besides me, even if he was Steve Rogers before the super soldier serum in body and not what he actually is

• Love 3

I've been thinking of the Black Widow movie. I know it was announced as a prequel, but what are the odds that this was just to avoid spoilers. After all, she obviously survives End Game if she has a movie set after the events of End Game.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Captain Carrot said:

I've been thinking of the Black Widow movie. I know it was announced as a prequel, but what are the odds that this was just to avoid spoilers. After all, she obviously survives End Game if she has a movie set after the events of End Game.

Didn't I read that Scarlett Johansson isn't going to be in it?  I thought I read that there was a rumor that it's going to be Emma Watson.

1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Didn't I read that Scarlett Johansson isn't going to be in it?  I thought I read that there was a rumor that it's going to be Emma Watson.

That would be an awful decision. The rumor is that Emma Watson may be the co-lead with Scarlett. 

Edited by Guest
Change link to original source.
7 hours ago, Captain Carrot said:

They've already confirmed a Loki Series for Disney+ and, he's dead. Hell Disney/Star Wars did a Solo prequel (which was a planned series) and Han Solo was killed in The Force Awakens. So no, I don't think they spread rumors about a BW prequel just to throw people off her death.  That's not to say I think she gets a permanent death in Endgame.

That being said. I'm curious if all of the Original Avengers are toast in Endgame. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened in comics (maybe not Avengers). Of course they don't have to kill them, they could shove them into an Alternate Reality (to return when MCU brings FF/X-Men home). They could get trapped in the Soul Stone (pocket/Utopian universe) until Infinity Crusade. 😀

Edited by Morrigan2575
On 3/15/2019 at 11:29 AM, SimoneS said:

So what was the point of all that drama? Too bad for the franchise. It would have benefited from a good long rest and a breath of fresh air. 

Personally I am glad that the trolls who tried to destroy Gunn with their hit piece didn't destroy him.  Not only did he get his Marvel job back - he gets to helm a second franchise in addition. It makes me happy.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Even though I initially agreed with the critique in the video I posted that the Russo Brothers have a boring visual style and dull color pallete compared to other directors of Marvel movies, this twitter thread I just found made me reconsider that they use color more thoughtfully than I realized.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Even though I initially agreed with the critique in the video I posted that the Russo Brothers have a boring visual style and dull color pallete compared to other directors of Marvel movies, this twitter thread I just found made me reconsider that they use color more thoughtfully than I realized.

12 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

That's actually a really good thread about the use of color in the movie.

I havent watched Infinity Stones in awhile, but now I wonder if color is treated the same through the rest of the movie. Gamora had orange like the stone, I wonder if other characters were bathed in the light of the stone they were connected to throughout the story. Might have to rewatch to see if they go that far.

Edit: so I started rewatching Infinity Wars, and the coloring has to be deliberate. The opening with Thor, Loki, and the Space Stone is so blue you can’t miss it. Where the ship is in space-blue. Lights in the ship-blue. Blue reflected in Loki’s face, Thor’s face and then arms when Loki is killed. Even as the ship explodes in purple lights from Thanos, dead Loki and Thor are still bathed in blue light.

I’m at the first battle in NY, where Strange has the Time Stone and everything is green. Strange’s house-green, the roof was green on the house, the inside was lots of emeralds. Lingering shots on trees-super green. Banner, who ironically can’t turn green gets dropped into a green park where Tony shortly follows. I’m going to keep watching, I’m sure we’ll see more blues, reds, greens and yellows as Thanos gets more stones.

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Love 6

Rocket's Guardians 2 behavior makes a lot more sense than Peter's Infinity War behavior.  He displays none of the maturity he gained from the first two movies and seems to double-down on the immature behavior.  Given his experience with his own father, you would think he'd have a greater insight into what Gamorra (and even Neubla) are going through.  But it's honestly like everyone involved in Infinity War only watched certain parts of the first two movies.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1
On 3/17/2019 at 9:36 AM, SnoGirl said:

I havent watched Infinity Stones in awhile, but now I wonder if color is treated the same through the rest of the movie. Gamora had orange like the stone, I wonder if other characters were bathed in the light of the stone they were connected to throughout the story. Might have to rewatch to see if they go that far.

Edit: so I started rewatching Infinity Wars, and the coloring has to be deliberate. The opening with Thor, Loki, and the Space Stone is so blue you can’t miss it. Where the ship is in space-blue. Lights in the ship-blue. Blue reflected in Loki’s face, Thor’s face and then arms when Loki is killed. Even as the ship explodes in purple lights from Thanos, dead Loki and Thor are still bathed in blue light.

I’m at the first battle in NY, where Strange has the Time Stone and everything is green. Strange’s house-green, the roof was green on the house, the inside was lots of emeralds. Lingering shots on trees-super green. Banner, who ironically can’t turn green gets dropped into a green park where Tony shortly follows. I’m going to keep watching, I’m sure we’ll see more blues, reds, greens and yellows as Thanos gets more stones.

This is so interesting, now i'm going to have to watch Infinity War when i get home with this new knowledge and see what i can pick up

• Love 1
On 3/17/2019 at 9:36 AM, SnoGirl said:

Knowhere was very red and when Thanos saw Kid Gamora inside the Soul Stone, everything was orange-y yellow. 

• Love 4
On 3/17/2019 at 6:55 AM, JessePinkman said:

No shit he doesn’t love her. Was that even a question?

What? But he fridged her out of true love! It was his* sacrifice to gain power to whichever stone that was.

*Note - His sacrifice, not hers. Gamora herself didn't even factor in, she was just a prop to facilitate multiple episodes of man-pain.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, benteen said:

Rocket's Guardians 2 behavior makes a lot more sense than Peter's Infinity War behavior.  He displays none of the maturity he gained from the first two movies and seems to double-down on the immature behavior.  Given his experience with his own father, you would think he'd have a greater insight into what Gamorra (and even Neubla) are going through.  But it's honestly like everyone involved in Infinity War only watched certain parts of the first two movies.

Peter's reaction after he found out Thanos killed Gamora was pretty much the exact reaction after he found out Ego killed his mom. To me that was totally in character.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

This is so interesting, now i'm going to have to watch Infinity War when i get home with this new knowledge and see what i can pick up

11 hours ago, starri said:

Knowhere was very red and when Thanos saw Kid Gamora inside the Soul Stone, everything was orange-y yellow. 

So I finished watching it. I do think the Russos made some interesting color choices-all repeats of the Stone Colors everywhere, and I thought a very saturated blatant use of them too.

Thor always had a lot of blues no matter where he was. Not to mention how sad he was all movie-feeling “blue” about the destruction of what was left of his family. There was always lots of yellow around Vision especially during the first ambush in Scotland-even the alien who attacked Vision had yellow in his outfit. The brain scan thing of Vision’s brain Shuri was using on her computer was yellow too. Gamora always had oranges and reds, and Thanos always had purple.

However, the color theory doesn’t really fit with Strange. Other than the green at the beginning of the movie, green was absent in the movie. Especially when I noticed the lack of green after the first fight in New York, it stuck out more than Blue with Thor. Once Strange went to space, the only time you saw green was with him was when he was checking all the timelines and when he plucked the stone from where he hid it. Everything else was so orange. There was green on earth, but no green lights in Space. Green in Wakanda, but with the fighting and blue Wakandan Shields, the green didn’t stand out as much as the other Infinity Stones colors throughout the rest of the movie.

It makes you wonder about how green is such an Earth color and that it has to do with the Time Stone...and no Green Hulk-just makes me wonder if we’ll get a lot of green in End Game.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, starri said:

And now I'm sure New Mutants will never see the light of day.

I read somewhere that it's going to the Disney streaming service. But I can't provide a source, so take it with a grain of salt.

2 minutes ago, Anduin said:

I read somewhere that it's going to the Disney streaming service. But I can't provide a source, so take it with a grain of salt.

I mean, I know for sure that the planned reshoots--the entire reason for pushing it back for 1+ years--haven't happened yet, and the movie is supposed to come out in August.

1 hour ago, starri said:

Will they announce new X-Men and FF projects after Endgame, or will they wait for SDCC?

Maybe D23? When did they d9 that big Phase 3 announcement with the 10 movie lineup?  I'm hoping we get something like that after Endgame. 

1 hour ago, starri said:

Will they announce new X-Men and FF projects after Endgame, or will they wait for SDCC?

I've seen people say they'll save any official Marvel announcements for D23 this year.

2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

When did they d9 that big Phase 3 announcement with the 10 movie lineup?  I'm hoping we get something like that after Endgame. 

That was a totally separate press event at the El Capitan theater. I think Feige has said they'll never do something like that again, it was giving away too much or something like that.

1 minute ago, JessePinkman said:

I've seen people say they'll save any official Marvel announcements for D23 this year.

Would they wait until August?  That's a month and a half after Far from Home, and that's the last movie officially on the books, right?

7 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

That was a totally separate press event at the El Capitan theater. I think Feige has said they'll never do something like that again, it was giving away too much or something like that.

Oh bummer. I thought that was great! Well, hopefully we'll get a lineup at D23