Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

@VCRTracking thanks for posting some of the One Marvelous Scene videos. I subscribe to a lot of those channels so I've been busy watching them.

I actually agree with Nando v Movies about the importance of the afterparty. I think Age of Ultron is a messy film, but it's really the only moment where shit slows down long enough to show that these heroes might actually be friends. Imagine Ultron without the afterparty and the farm scene. And then, imagine watching Civil War without those scenes. You'd think Tony was completely delusional for assuming Steve was his friend.

If I were doing a One Marvelous Scene I'd probably pick that fight at the end of Civil War between Steve, Bucky, & Tony. One, it shows that after going bigger and bigger in their climaxes, they could go smaller and have just as much impact. Two, it has a bunch of callbacks that show the depth and breadth of the Steve and Bucky friendship. The fact that there really aren't those type of shorthand signifiers for Steve and Tony's relationship is telling. Three, the fight choreography does an amazing job of demonstrating the relationships. That final fight actually evokes Steve and Bucky's mid-film Winter Soldier fight, with the hand-offs with the shield. The other thing that's obvious is that Steve isn't trying to murder anyone, while Tony very much is. And the conclusion of the fight where Steve has the shield lifted over his head and Tony thinks Steve is going to kill him is so telling. For all of Tony's insistence that they were friends, his belief that Steve was ready to kill him in that moment shows that Tony doesn't know the first thing about Steve.

I wish I could locate that blog where someone did the rhetorical analysis of how Steve refers to his friends vs how Tony does. It was really interesting. It noted that when Steve became friends with someone, he calls them by their first name. Steve really doesn't consistently call Tony "Tony" until Civil War and by that time it was already too late because their nascent friendship was falling apart.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Is Chris Hemsworth Ready to Leave the ‘Avengers’ Franchise?

Chris Hemsworth isn’t exactly sure when he’ll leave the “Avengers” franchise.

“There will come a day,” the “Thor” star told me when we sat down to chat for the second episode of “The Big Ticket,” Variety and iHeartMedia’s new film podcast. “Whether it’s now or in the future, I don’t know. … Who knows what the sort of future holds. I don’t know, there could be remakes, sequels, prequel — who knows?”

How long ago was ten years culturally?

I just caught the opening scene from Iron Man. When the airman in the humvee asks to take a photo of Tony, Tony warns him not to post it on MySpace and the airman uses a digital camera.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

I just caught the opening scene from Iron Man. When the airman in the humvee asks to take a photo of Tony, Tony warns him not to post it on MySpace and the airman uses a digital camera.

Digital camera still would have been common, especially as the airman probably wouldn’t have had his regular phone in Afghanistan. Myspace was mostly dead, as I recall, but that may have been part of Tony joking, along with “No gang signs, please.” 

Frankly, the phone Tony uses when he talks to Obadiah is more telling in terms of how technology has marched on.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, xaxat said:

Man, time flies. I remember seeing this because the suit looked great and RDJ was funny in the trailer.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

I rewatched Iron Man on Syfy (I think) last night. It does hold up; the story and the CGI for the most part. It is still an entertaining movie and so much lighter that Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. You can see why and how it changed MCU and the approach to the superhero genre as a whole.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4

So with Endgame under our belts, what are people's top 10 MCU films now?

Mine are, in order, favorite on top:

1.) Spider-Man Homecoming
2.) Captain America: Winter Soldier
3.) Avengers: Endgame
4.) Guardians of the Galaxy (I)
5.) Thor: Ragnorak
6.) Black Panther
7.) Iron Man (I)
8.) Captain America: The First Avenger
9.) Avengers: Infinity War
10.) The Avengers

• Love 4

For me, personally:

1.  Captain America: Winter Solider

2.  The Avengers

3.  Guardians of the Galaxy

4.  Thor: Ragnarok

5.  Iron Man

6.  Avengers: Infinity War

7.  Avengers: Endgame

8.  Spider-Man: Homecoming

9.  Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 (controversial, but I'll still go to bat for that one.)

10. Thor (I honestly thought it was one of the better origin stories.)

Granted, that could all change once I revisit all of these films again.  Although, I doubt anything will beat Winter Solider.  Or stop Thor: The Dark World and Iron Man 2 from being my least favorites (or Incredible Hulk if we are counting that.)

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Kromm said:

1. Guardians

2. Winter Soldier

3 Iron Man

4 Black Panther

5 Avengers

6 Infinity War

7 Ragnarok

8 Homecoming

9 Captain Marvel

10 Iron Man 3

I enjoyed endgame overall and it has some absolutely amazing moments, but IMO there are just too many issues with the time travel plot for it to crack my top 10 list.

• Love 4

I mostly love them all (minus thor 2 and hulk). But if I had to list just ten here they are.  While I really did like endgame, Infinity War was slightly better.

1.    Infinity War

2.    Endgame

3.    The Avengers

4.    Civil War

5.    Spiderman Homecoming

6.    Iron Man

7.    Winter Soldier

8.    Dr. Strange

9.    Guardian of the Galaxy

10.  Thor Ragnarok

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/30/2019 at 11:54 PM, Kromm said:

• Black Panther
  • Winter Soldier
  • Ragnarok
  • Endgame
  • Infinity War
  • Civil War 
  • Guardians 1
  • Guardians 2
  • Avengers
  • Homecoming
Edited by Dee
  • Love 1

1.  Black Panther

2. GotG v 2

3.  Endgame

4.  Avengers

5.  GotG

6.  Winter Soldier

7.  Homecoming

8.  Captain Marvel

9.  Civil War

10.  Ragnarok

• Love 1

1. Iron Man

2. Endgame

3. Infinity War

4. Avengers

5. Civil War

6. Black Panther

7. Guardians of the Galaxy

8. Dr. Strange

9. Homecoming

10. Ant-man and the Wasp 

I know many find Iron Man 2 to be awful, but that is getting an honorable mention from me and really ties with my #10.

• Love 2
(edited)

1: Winter Soldier

2: Avengers

3: Endgame (despite some things I didn't like about it, on the whole I thought the movie delivered)

4: Captain Marvel

5: Thor 1 (SO underrated imo)

6: Iron Man

7: Black Panther

8: Age of Ultron

9: Guardians 1

10: um...can I say the scene in Iron Man 2 where Black Widow takes out an entire compound's worth of guards while Happy slugs it out with one of them? As a film Iron Man 2 is among the weakest in the MCU, but that sequence is gold. If not, Infinity War, I suppose.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 3
  1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  2. Black Panther
  3. Captain Marvel
  4. Thor Ragnarok
  5. Captain America: The First Avenger (I will forever have a soft spot for this movie)
  6. Endgame
  7. Guardians of the Galaxy
  8. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  9. @stealinghome's 10
  10. The Avengers
  • Love 2

My top 10.

1. Avengers: Endgame

2. Avenger: Infinity War

3. Avengers

4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

5. Black Panther

6. Guardians of the Galaxy

7. Captain America: Civil War

8. Thor Ragnarok

9. Avengers Age of Ultron

10. Iron Man

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

My friend DM'd me this, i don't know where it came from there was no link.  i hope it's ok to post here.

2bliFmJr.jpg

It came from here here and unfortunately it was a April Fools Day joke. 

My top 10

1. CA: The Winter Solider

2. Avengers

3. Infinty War

4. Thor Ragnarok

5. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 1

6. Captain Marvel

7. Ant-Man

8. Endgame

9. Black Panther

10. Iron Man 1

• Love 2

Top 10:

1. CA: The Winter Soldier
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy
  3. The Avengers
  4. Thor:Ragnarok
  5. Captain Marvel
  6. Guardians 2
  7. Black Panther
  8. Ant Man
  9. CA: The First Avenger
  10. Iron Man

As much as Endgame had a lot of Hell Yeah moments and was overall impressively done with entertaining arcs for some of my faves (I may see it a 3rd time), some things bumped it to number 11 for me, but I won't complain about them here.

• Love 3

Top ten as of right now

1-Captain America: Winter Soldier

2-Endgame

3-Avengers

4-GOTG Vol 1

5-Thor Ragnarok

6-Infinity War

7-Captain America: First Avenger

8-Iron Man

9-Black Panther

10-Dr. Strange

• Love 2

1. Captain America The Winter Soldier
2. Ant-Man And The Wasp 
3. Spider-Man Homecoming
4. Ant-Man
5. The Avengers
6-7. Avengers Infinity War/Endgame
8. Thor Ragnarok
9. Iron Man
10. Black Panther

• Love 2
  1. The Winter Soldier 
  2. Civil War
  3. Ragnarok
  4. Infinity War
  5. Avengers
  6. Endgame
  7. Captain America: First Avenger
  8. Black Panther
  9. Homecoming
  10. Thor

That was hard... I really wanted to fit Ant-Man & The Wasp, Iron Man, and Doctor Strange in there somewhere.

(edited)
On 5/1/2019 at 4:54 AM, Kromm said:

Mine are, in order, favorite on top:

1.) Spider-Man Homecoming
2.) Captain America: Winter Soldier
3.) Avengers: Endgame
4.) Guardians of the Galaxy (I)
5.) Thor: Ragnorak
6.) Black Panther
7.) Iron Man (I)
8.) Captain America: The First Avenger
9.) Avengers: Infinity War
10.) The Avengers

1. Captain America: Winter Soldier

2. The Avengers

3. Guardians of the Galaxy

4. Iron Man

5. Spider-Man: Homecoming

6. Thor: Ragnarok

7. Avengers: Endgame

8. Captain Marvel

9. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

10.  Captain America: The First Avenger

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1
On 4/30/2019 at 10:54 PM, Kromm said:

1. The Avengers
  2. Captain America: The First Avenger
  3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  4. Avengers: Endgame
  5. Avengers: Infinity War
  7. Into the Spider-verse
  8. Civil war
  9. Black Panther
  10. Ant Man

Though I liked the teaser trailer for Thor: Ragnarok so much that if it counts instead of the full movie, my top five all drop down by one.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:
  1. The Avengers
  2. Captain America: The First Avenger
  3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  4. Avengers: Endgame
  5. Avengers: Infinity War
  7. Into the Spider-verse
  8. Civil war
  9. Black Panther
  10. Ant Man

Though I liked the teaser trailer for Thor: Ragnarok so much that if it counts instead of the full movie, my top five all drop down by one.

I don't think that Spider-verse counts as an MCU movie, if it does it'd be near the top of my list.

(edited)
4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Is RDJ in Spider-Man: Far From Home?

Doesn't look like it. I think Nick Fury is playing the 'adult' in this one. (Along with Jake Gyllenhaal, but we still don't know where he's coming down in this one.)

Edited by AimingforYoko

Interesting how consistent Winter Soldier is in the #1 spot.  It was #2 for me, but it was super close. Homecoming topped my list mainly because I'd waited my whole life for a Spidey film I truly loved.  No, not even Spider-Man 2 did that for me. 

Unpopular choice, I bet, but Ant Man and The Wasp was really close to making my list. I liked that it was a small stakes but fun film. That and Captain Marvel were both on the cusp for me. 

4 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I don't think that Spider-verse counts as an MCU movie, if it does it'd be near the top of my list.

Yeah, it's not MCU. Or it would be at the top. 

• Love 2

My top 10:

2. Avengers: Endgame
3. Black Panther
4. Captain Marvel
5. Thor: Ragnarok
6. Ant-Man
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
8. Guardians of the Galaxy
9. The Avengers
10. Captain America: Civil War

Order shifts a little depending on my mood. 

Robert Downey Jr.'s Massive Payday Tops 'Avengers: Endgame' Star Deals

Some interesting details in there. Scarlett Johansson is apparently a producer on the Black Widow movie as well as the star. The article says it's slated for 2020. The next Guardians of the Galaxy movie will apparently reunite the current five stars and start shooting next year. We should also see at least one more Black Panther movie and one more Doctor Strange movie thanks to the actors' contracts.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Kromm said:

Interesting how consistent Winter Soldier is in the #1 spot.  It was #2 for me, but it was super close. Homecoming topped my list mainly because I'd waited my whole life for a Spidey film I truly loved.  No, not even Spider-Man 2 did that for me. 

Unpopular choice, I bet, but Ant Man and The Wasp was really close to making my list. I liked that it was a small stakes but fun film. That and Captain Marvel were both on the cusp for me. 

Yeah, it's not MCU. Or it would be at the top. 

I heavily debated adding Ant Man & The Wasp to my list. The Winter Soldier will probably always be my favorite. I'm a massive comics nerd, but I'm pretty sure had I lived my whole life without them, I would still think that movie was stellar. 

• Love 2

It's hard to pick an actual top ten since many movies shift around depending on my mood.

1. Avengers

2. Black Panther

3. Guardians of the Galaxy

4. Captain America, Winter Soldier

6. Avengers: Infinity War & Endgame (I consider them 2 halves of the same movie)

8. Ant-Man

9. Spiderman: Homecoming

10. Doctor Strange (An odd choice probably, but Doctor Strange has always been a favorite character of mine)

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:46 AM, Cranberry said:

My top 10:

3. Black Panther
4. Captain Marvel
6. Ant-Man
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
8. Guardians of the Galaxy
9. The Avengers

Order shifts a little depending on my mood. 

Robert Downey Jr.'s Massive Payday Tops 'Avengers: Endgame' Star Deals

Some interesting details in there. Scarlett Johansson is apparently a producer on the Black Widow movie as well as the star. The article says it's slated for 2020. The next Guardians of the Galaxy movie will apparently reunite the current five stars and start shooting next year. We should also see at least one more Black Panther movie and one more Doctor Strange movie thanks to the actors' contracts.

I think the actors will renegotiate their contracts to be in more movies in the MCU, even if we don't get a Black Panther 3 and Doctor Strange 3. I have a feeling we might get them, depending on how much money the sequels make. 

Edited by Apprentice79
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:22 AM, Kromm said:

I'm biased, because Bucky is my favourite Marvel character, full stop, but I'll offer some reasons why I think it sits near the top of most lists.

I think it's just a really great movie, in its own right. Not too reliant on CGI and huge, epic scenes, but it still has some iconic moments, like the Winter Soldier taking out Fury's car, catching the shield and the elevator fight.

It has, in my opinion, the best villain that Marvel have introduced to the MCU. The Winter Soldier is cool, as well as being formidable, and then he ends up being incredibly sympathetic as well.

And all the heroes get time to shine, instead of being relegated to background scenery. Even Maria Hill gets a couple of cool moments (really her only ones to date).

Then the capper is that it ends up being a very intimate story of two brothers, separated by war, and one reaching out to the other in an attempt to make peace.

Just a shame that they did nothing interesting with Bucky after that.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 12
On 5/3/2019 at 1:22 AM, Kromm said:

I pretty much put Winter Soldier right up there with The Dark Knight which I feel is probably the best Comic bookmovie to date. Mostly because they both used the comics as a back drop. In reality TDK was a film noir and Winter Soldier was an espionage thriller. 

The reason I love Ant-Man, is that it's a simple heist movie and, I love heist movies.

But yeah, even to this date I'd put Winter Soldier as #1

1. Winter Soldier

2. Black Panther

3. Endgame

4. Avengers

5. GotG

6. Captain America: The First Avenger

7. Infinity War

8. Thor Ragnorok

9. GoTG 2

I think I'm a little biased towards Steve/Cap/Chris Evans 😁

• Love 3

I think it's just a really great movie, in its own right.

Yes, the way I describe Winter Soldier to people is "it's not just a good comic book movie--it's a good movie period."

There's something for everyone in it. The humor is on point. The action scenes are really good and really grounded; because it's so CGI-light, the action scenes are no more outlandish than what you might see in a Mission: Impossible or Fast and Furious movie. It's also a spy thriller, so several genres are at play. Steve feels very relatable as a protagonist (who, at the end of the day, HASN'T been in a work situation that disillusions you? Felt adrift in life in general? Or hasn't dealt with a family member with a serious illness?). But in addition to having a strong personal narrative for the hero, it's also imo one of the rare Marvel movies that is really about something topical in society, in this case both neo-Nazis and the surveillance state/what we are willing to trade for security. (The only other Marvel movies that really want to be about something in the same way are imo Black Panther and Iron Man, at least from the ones I've seen--also not coincidentally on many people's top movies list.)

It's also one of those rare movies where everything about it works perfectly together. Everything just clicks, so the movie somehow ends up being greater than the sum of its parts. The characters are really well defined and compelling; in complement, the acting is quite good and the cast has great chemistry. This is the movie where Chris Evans really gets Cap, I think, and Winter Soldier is also probably Natasha's best movie/SJ's best performance outside of maybe Endgame. Pierce/HYDRA are to some degree another disappointing MCU villain that exists only to be beaten, but the Winter Soldier being Bucky cleverly splits the film's antagonist off from its villain, and so for once it feels like there are actually some real stakes to the end. We know that Pierce/HYDRA will be defeated, but what will happen to Bucky? Steve will save the world, but will he be able to save Bucky too? There's enough uncertainty that it makes you really be interested. Structurally it's very sound.

• Love 14

As an avid comic book fan it’s alway bothered me the adoration for TDK and WS because it seemed like it was mostly because they weren’t comic book-y. I think that’s why I loved Infinity War and Endgame so much, the battles in those films were a comic book come to life.

10. Ant-Man

9. Thor: Ragnarok

8. Captain America: TWS

7. Captain America: The First Avengers (I adore this movie, don’t @ me)

6. Captain America: Civil War

5. Iron Man

4. Spider-Man: Homecoming

3. The Avengers

2. Avengers: Infinity War

1. Avengers: Endgame

Didn’t realize until now that all of Cap’s films are in my top 10. I really love that dude.

• Love 5

1. Guardians of the Galaxy/ Winter Soldier. I never can pick which is my favorite. WS is such a tight movie with the best action sequences  and the friendship themes really speak to me. GotG is a cosmic space opera with a talking raccoon, music from my youth and the theme of found family. It's like they went into my brain and said, "Here you go. Enjoy!" It reminds me a lot of Farscape which is one of my favorite shows.

3. Ragnarok. Just pure fun, what else can I say.

4. The Avengers. Was so excited when I went to see this movie. I left with a migraine but it did teach me the valuable lesson of taking Advil before I go to the theater now.

5. Captain America: The First Avenger. I probably wouldn't have put this in the top five (Maybe GotG2 or Ant Man and the Wasp would have gone here) but it has become so re-watchable after the subsequent CA films. Plus I just love Peggy Carter so much.

Can't really rank the rest so I won't even try. I love them all. Even The Dark World.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Captain America's movies are my favorite trilogy. He's also my favorite Avenger. 

I remember thinking, before the first Captain America movie was released, that I wouldn't ever like him that much. The overt patriotism of the character has never appealed to me (I don't even like overt patriotism in my own country). But Chris Evans imbued him with such decency and integrity that it's impossible to not love him.

Having said that, I think Thor is my favourite Avenger, mainly due to Ragnarok and Infinity War. Cap is a close second though.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I remember thinking, before the first Captain America movie was released, that I wouldn't ever like him that much. The overt patriotism of the character has never appealed to me (I don't even like overt patriotism in my own country). But Chris Evans imbued him with such decency and integrity that it's impossible to not love him.

ITA. I went in expecting to cringe through flag-waving patriotism, but happily surprised that they went in a different direction.

It may surprise some people, that patriotism for one country rarely works in another country. :)

• Love 2

The Winter Soldier is funnily enough one of my least favourite MCU movies. There's nothing really wrong with it, but I just never cared to rewatch it (tried once, gave up halfway through) and I remember being bored in the cinema as well. Maybe it's the espionage thriller genre which has never been for me, but while it's objectively well made it just left me cold.

• Love 2

I definitely fall more towards liking the funny bits and the teamwork elements. For example I've seen Civil War exactly once and never care to see it again. Watching our Avengers tearing each other apart was painful.

1. Avengers

3. Thor: Ragnarok

4. Captain Marvel

5. Guardians of the Galaxy 2

6. Black Panther

7. Ant-Man and the Wasp

8. Captain America: The First Avenger

9. Captain America: Winter Soldier

10. Avengers: Infinity War

• Love 1
2 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I definitely fall more towards liking the funny bits and the teamwork elements. For example I've seen Civil War exactly once and never care to see it again. Watching our Avengers tearing each other apart was painful.

Ooh, I remember when I watched that movie I was so mad I didn't watch it again for over a year. I said it then and I still say it now: Black Panther was the best thing about that movie.

• Love 2