Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

On 4/25/2019 at 10:38 PM, HunterHunted said:

And the conclusion of the fight where Steve has the shield lifted over his head and Tony thinks Steve is going to kill him is so telling. For all of Tony's insistence that they were friends, his belief that Steve was ready to kill him in that moment shows that Tony doesn't know the first thing about Steve.

Well...

Since five or ten minutes before the fight started, Tony thought that Steve was at least sincere in the things he said about innocent victims, I can see why he wouldn't take anything else for granted where Rogers is concerned. Doesn't matter if they were friends or if they could even stand to be in the same room, that Steve was quite happy to use Tony's carelessness and mistakes as a club to hit him with (shades of dear old Dad, I'm sure) but would leap if not lunge to defend Bucky ("I can do this all day.") retroactively screwed with my ability to take him at his word.

Of note, also: that Barnes had the mental and emotional wherewithal to acknowledge that he should be removed from the equation until such time as he was no longer dangerous, and then act on it, made me think more of him than I did of Steve. Given how poorly developed Bucky is as a character, that's an amazing feat, that even though he's not responsible at all he could admit that there was every likelihood he could be triggered again. So in a way Steve was only half-right; don't kill Barnes, but do take him out of play until it's safe. Thanks, Shuri!

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh God, choosing between them is so hard! I might be weird, but I continue to think that there are no really bad MCU movies, just a few that are meh, like Iron Man 2 and Thor 2. They arent awful, and both have good scenes and acting, but they arent up to par with the rest of the franchise. They change a lot depending on my mood, but right now...

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

-Just a generally great movie where everything worked perfectly together. The acting, the plot, the themes, the drama, the humor, the action, the way it changed the MCU forever, it was all just a fantastically conceived and put together film. I love Cap, and this was the movie that I think got Steve Rogers the most. It also has a great supporting cast, all of whom get time to shine, and it has a very melancholy feel to it, while also being optimistic and heroic. Just like Cap. The Winter Soldier himself is so great, threatening and tragic, and the bond between him and Steve spawned probably 10000000 fanfics, and for good reason. I really am still sad that we never got the full movie between them that they deserved.

2. Spider-Man: Homecoming

-Just the fact that they made another Spider-Man movie, and in the MCU this time, and made it fresh and original, is an amazing achievement for me. To me, while Toby Maguire was my first Spider-Man, and Andrew Garfield was the one that got me back into Spider-Man, Tom Holland is just THE Spider-Man. He nails both the Peter Parker side, and the Spider-Man side, and the movie is a great mix of teen hijinks, drama, action, has an amazing villain (its the best role Michael Keaton has had in years, no lie), and even an interesting role for Tony Stark that gave him a new role in the franchise. 

3. The Avengers

-Yeah I can nitpick this movie a bit, some of the characterization is inconsistent, and there is a lot of leaps in logic that I kind of have to make to explain some things, but its just SUCH a classic, and such a huge movie that basically changed the entire cinematic landscape. Its amazing to think that until this movie, no one really thought that this could really happen, no one could bring these many characters from all different movies together into one plot, and make it not be a jumbled mess, and they did it! Every character gets some time to shine, the character dynamics are already amazing and create what will be built upon throughout the franchise, and the big fight scene, as much as people got over the "tons of mooks and the portal in the sky", is amazing. 

4. Black Panther

-Even beyond it becoming a massive cultural phenomenon (and being nominated for a freaking Best Picture Oscar!) that swept the world, its just a great movie it and of itself. The nation of Wakanda is very well realized, with lots of interesting bits of culture and history happening in the front line and in the side, and T`Challa and the rest of the characters are all wonderfully realized, from the Black Panther himself to even the minor and supporting characters, and of course, it has one of the MCUs best and most complex villains. Its also a movie that really digs into and deals with both historical and contemporary racial injustice, in a way that no other MCU film has done, and does it without sacrificing fun and action as well. I also really enjoy the combination of magic and science, which I think the movie does really well making very natural. 

5. Thor: Ragnarok

-Weirdly reminds me of TWS, not in style or story, but in how the writers and directors really get what a good story based around their title character should be, and how to make it stand out from other superhero movies, as well as how to use a main hero and a supporting cast well. Its not perfect (I hate how quickly the Warriors Three were killed) but its the Thor movie that I think I always wanted. Its funny and wild and madcap and totally changed the tone of the Thor franchise, but in a way that just built upon what we already had, instead of us jerking from one direction to the next. Like many of my favorites, it has a great memorable villain, and great performances from the entire cast. And while the movie is known for its wild color palette and its hilarious jokes and action, I think it has a really strong emotional thread with Thor and his family, with the death of Odin, and its got the best and most complex Loki/Thor dynamic in any movie in the series, in a way that really enhances both of their characters. I also like how much that, while mostly taking place in space, it really plays more into the characters being actual gods of Norse mythology, which was a really cool take on them that I had wanted to see explored for awhile. And it gave us Valkyrie, who is the bomb. 

More to come 😉 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I definitely fall more towards liking the funny bits and the teamwork elements. For example I've seen Civil War exactly once and never care to see it again. Watching our Avengers tearing each other apart was painful.

Civil War was the only MCU movie that the group I go with left the theater and our reactions were a mixed bag. It had awesome moments but none of us really enjoyed it. My sister ranks it so low on her MCU list for the same reason you didn't like it.  😄

• Love 1

The worst one for me was unquestionably Age of Ultron. I watched that movie in the cinema and have never felt the urge to watch it again. I was annoyed by Civil War, and the misuse of Bucky as a plot device to create angst between Steve and Tony, but Age of Ultron actively pissed me off and made me like Joss Whedon a lot less.

• Love 1
On 5/4/2019 at 9:21 PM, Sakura12 said:

Captain America's movies are my favorite trilogy. He's also my favorite Avenger. 

If you would have told me 20 years ago that Cap would be my favorite Avenger in film, I would have died laughing. They absolutely struck gold with Chris Evans. The writing for Cap has more or less consistently been good (the Whedon films, maybe not so much), and Evans sells the shit out of it. It's similar to how I feel about Christopher Reeve as Superman. Also, I adore a good underdog story, and Steve Roger's origin is as good as they come. 

• Love 13

It helps that the Russos (along with Evans) have a strong understanding of what makes the character work. Watching their Steve and Whedon's Steve back to back is like night and day.

• Love 8

I honestly had no idea how they were going to transfer Steve to the big screen. The idea of a character called Captain America heading his own movie was just... what? Granted, what we think of when hearing the name vs. the actual character in the comics is not necessarily the same thing, either. I think they did a hell of a job staying true to the essence of the character.

And, yes, Evans really played the shit out of him and that's not always easy to do when you're playing, like, the Goodest Good Guy That Ever Gooded. He portrayed an earnestness that resonated as opposed to coming off as excessively preachy or cloying.

I just remain very impressed that they were able to bring Thor and Cap to the big screen and have it work so well.

• Love 14
29 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

I honestly had no idea how they were going to transfer Steve to the big screen. The idea of a character called Captain America heading his own movie was just... what? Granted, what we think of when hearing the name vs. the actual character in the comics is not necessarily the same thing, either. I think they did a hell of a job staying true to the essence of the character.

And, yes, Evans really played the shit out of him and that's not always easy to do when you're playing, like, the Goodest Good Guy That Ever Gooded. He portrayed an earnestness that resonated as opposed to coming off as excessively preachy or cloying.

I just remain very impressed that they were able to bring Thor and Cap to the big screen and have it work so well.

That's how I felt too. By the time the movie was being made, I enjoyed the Captain America character in the comics a lot, but Ed Brubaker had made him a character much more cynical about the ideas of patriotism and national pride, and about the surety of moral righteousness. His Steve Rogers was very aware of shortcomings, both the country's and his own. I just didn't know how that would translate to the screen.

But I also thought that, even if the movie did do it well, it would struggle with international audiences, at the end of a decade of American exceptionalism and running roughshod over large parts of the world in the War on Terror. Credit to Joe Johnston and Markus & McFeely for crafting a character that could rise above all that. And tremendous credit to Chris Evans, for taking that character and making him a paragon of true virtue and goodness, without ever making him seem false or overbearing.

• Love 11
(edited)
11 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

That's how I felt too. By the time the movie was being made, I enjoyed the Captain America character in the comics a lot, but Ed Brubaker had made him a character much more cynical about the ideas of patriotism and national pride, and about the surety of moral righteousness. His Steve Rogers was very aware of shortcomings, both the country's and his own. I just didn't know how that would translate to the screen.

But I also thought that, even if the movie did do it well, it would struggle with international audiences, at the end of a decade of American exceptionalism and running roughshod over large parts of the world in the War on Terror. Credit to Joe Johnston and Markus & McFeely for crafting a character that could rise above all that. And tremendous credit to Chris Evans, for taking that character and making him a paragon of true virtue and goodness, without ever making him seem false or overbearing.

And I also like how they lean in on that "Superpatriot" image for humor like the way Scott Lang fanboys over him, Loki's impression of him in Thor The Dark World, and those PSAs in Spider-Man Homecoming.

21 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

If you would have told me 20 years ago that Cap would be my favorite Avenger in film, I would have died laughing. They absolutely struck gold with Chris Evans. The writing for Cap has more or less consistently been good (the Whedon films, maybe not so much), and Evans sells the shit out of it. It's similar to how I feel about Christopher Reeve as Superman. Also, I adore a good underdog story, and Steve Roger's origin is as good as they come. 

People hating Age of Ultron  so much they suddenly retroactively dislike Cap's portrayal in the first Avengers when nobody had a problem with it at the time. "There's only one God ma'am and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that!" "Son, just don't." we're great lines when the movie came out. Now it's because Steve has adjusted to the 21st century. Who's cool and learning about modern pop culture. Not a "square" who tells people to watch their language. The irony is how people have said Russos and Markus and McFeely got Cap right and Whedon wrong, like this article opines, when the ending they gave him in Endgame is a perfect for the character Whedon wrote and not the one they've depicted. The man still stuck in the past.

Another irony of this is Whedon would have probably not have had Cap back in the past reunited with Peggy. Most of the relationships he's written he ended on a tragic note(including the derided Bruce and Natasha). A happy ending for Whedon is the hero surviving to fight another day, even if they're not with the love of their life.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

People hating Age of Ultron  so much they suddenly retroactively dislike Cap's portrayal in the first Avengers when nobody had a problem with it at the time. "There's only one God ma'am and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that!" "Son, just don't." we're great lines when the movie came out. Now it's because Steve has adjusted to the 21st century. Who's cool and learning about modern pop culture. Not a "square" who tells people to watch their language.

I actually don't hate Age Of Ultron at all. It's not on my best list, but I love me some Vision and think his MCU origins are inspired. Whedon was great at writing snarky characters like Loki and Tony, but he struggles more with an earnest character like Steve, IMO.

• Love 4

I actually wished that they had not torpedoed Whedon's planned relationship with Steve and Ashley Johnson's Beth, the waitress from the Avengers. He actually  becomes a character who is a lot less nostalgic and stuck in the past with that relationship kept in. So him moving on is more than just an expanding list of pop culture that he can experience.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

I actually don't hate Age Of Ultron at all. It's not on my best list, but I love me some Vision and think his MCU origins are inspired. Whedon was great at writing snarky characters like Loki and Tony, but he struggles more with an earnest character like Steve, IMO.

Reading interviews and listening to commentary Whedon's approach is influenced by old movies. The Tony and Pepper in the first Avengers was his chance to "write 3 minutes of The Thin Man. Whedon's version of Natasha is like a 1940s siren like Lauren Bacall and her scene with Bruce at the party has that Howard Hawks movie feel.  Cap at the doorway of Clint's house is an homage The Searchers although I think Whedon's Steve is more like Gary Cooper.

• Love 2
On 5/3/2019 at 6:17 PM, Lugal said:

It's hard to pick an actual top ten since many movies shift around depending on my mood

I agree with this sentiment. It's like asking me to pick my top 5 favorite episodes of the Simpsons. I can tell you that Marge vs the Monorail never leaves the top 5, but other than that, it's a fluid list.

Based on what I will absolutely watch at least part of every time I stumble across it on cable (or Netflix) and what I expect to do in the future, here are my favorites (in no particular order:)

The Avengers and Infinity War

Guardians of the Galaxy

Iron Man

Thor Ragnorok. (I freaking love this movie.) 

Spiderman Homecoming

Black Panther

Ant Man and The Wasp (but I've got a thing for Evangeline Lilly, so that factors in to the equation, much like I will watch far more of Underworld than it deserves due to it's lead actress in leather pants.)

And I am pretty sure I will add End Game and Captain Marvel to this list.

None of that is to say that I don't really enjoy all of the Captain America movies, or all of the rest of them really. I like Dr. Strange. I just like him better in Infinity War.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

People hating Age of Ultron  so much they suddenly retroactively dislike Cap's portrayal in the first Avengers when nobody had a problem with it at the time. "There's only one God ma'am and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that!" "Son, just don't." we're great lines when the movie came out. Now it's because Steve has adjusted to the 21st century. Who's cool and learning about modern pop culture. Not a "square" who tells people to watch their language. The irony is how people have said Russos and Markus and McFeely got Cap right and Whedon wrong, like this article opines, when the ending they gave him in Endgame is a perfect for the character Whedon wrote and not the one they've depicted. The man still stuck in the past.

Given that Steve had been out of the ice for, like, two weeks in Avengers I really didn't have a problem with his 'There's only one God, ma'am' line. Now, granted, the 'Son, just don't' line makes less sense because Steve is still in his late twenties. He's time displaced, he hasn't actually lived and experienced those 80 years BUT I think it's funny as hell so I let that one go.

You could probably also argue against Steve being a particularly devout Catholic given the time and place he lived but whatever,

Now the 'Language' shit in Ultron is just stupid because Steve fought in a war. He was in the Army. He was on the front lines. He grew up in the slums of fucking Brooklyn. No one can tell me that Steve can't swear a blue streak as easy as breathing or does. You can be a good person and still drop f-bombs every other word. So, yeah, THAT one I take issue with.

But I do agree with the irony of the people in charge of actually getting Cap to adjust to the world he's woken up in and now lived in for over a decade pissing all of that away because he can't 'move on' or whatever.

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

Now the 'Language' shit in Ultron is just stupid because Steve fought in a war. He was in the Army. He was on the front lines. He grew up in the slums of fucking Brooklyn. No one can tell me that Steve can't swear a blue streak as easy as breathing or does. You can be a good person and still drop f-bombs every other word. So, yeah, THAT one I take issue with.

The 'language' thing didn't bother me because Evans and RDJ sold it just right (Steve's resigned "That's not going away any time soon" still makes me laugh) and because in Steve's time there probably would have been more enforcement of anti-profanity laws.

• Love 3

It might have been the "going out over the radio" aspect of the swearing that prompted Steve to call it out rather than general prudishness. I'd imagine in WWII there might have been big differences in what you'd allow people to hear over walkie-talkie communication with who knows how many superiors listening in as opposed to what you'd say in front of the guys in your platoon.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Dandesun said:

Given that Steve had been out of the ice for, like, two weeks in Avengers I really didn't have a problem with his 'There's only one God, ma'am' line. Now, granted, the 'Son, just don't' line makes less sense because Steve is still in his late twenties. He's time displaced, he hasn't actually lived and experienced those 80 years BUT I think it's funny as hell so I let that one go.

You could probably also argue against Steve being a particularly devout Catholic given the time and place he lived but whatever,

But I do agree with the irony of the people in charge of actually getting Cap to adjust to the world he's woken up in and now lived in for over a decade pissing all of that away because he can't 'move on' or whatever.

It depends on what kind of officer you are, some would be right there with their troops language wise, others are like Captain Rogers in Age of Ultron. Especially over the radio.

2 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

It might have been the "going out over the radio" aspect of the swearing that prompted Steve to call it out rather than general prudishness. I'd imagine in WWII there might have been big differences in what you'd allow people to hear over walkie-talkie communication with who knows how many superiors listening in as opposed to what you'd say in front of the guys in your platoon.

So you bet me to the punch while I was typing especially on the radio 😊

I’ve also head-canoned that it could have been Natasha’s presence - he might still have a knee-jerk reaction that you don’t swear in front of ladies (no matter how much Nat mocks him for it - lol). 

I didn’t even think about the radio thing though - good point. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Dandesun said:

Given what I know of my grandfather and his brothers growing up in NYC during the same time as Cap and Bucky, I can see both of them having their asses in the pew every Sunday morning no matter what they did the night before.  I know that my grandfather and his brothers enjoyed themselves in the city before the war and got into a few fights along the way.  But, they were all in the pew every Sunday morning with their parents.  My grandfather went to mass every Sunday for decades but he never struck me as a particularly devout person especially after hearing what he got up to in Scotland when he was in the navy.   Catholic guilt is like that especially back then where the church was your community.  

• Love 4

That has always been one of my favorite scenes in that movie. I always took it that Steve not thinking told some one (Tony?) not to swear but it more just slipped out. And I love how it came a running joke throughout the movie.

My Top 10 MCU Movie List Part 2: 

6. Infinity War/Endgame

- I might be cheating putting these two together, but I kind of just consider them to be one big movie, so I am sticking them together, although if I had to make a choice, I did prefer Infinity War as a film, as I thought its tone was more consistent, it made better use of its characters, and I have mixed feelings about the end of Endgame, and the fates of certain beloved characters. That being said, I love them both, and generally just find it so amazing that they even exist. Avengers was a huge accomplishment, and this one more than upped the anti, and gave us everything we could want in a massive crossover. we got tons of great character interesting between people from different movies creative fight scenes using multiple powers and fighting styles, and the emotions throughout make these just BRUTAL to watch. You care about these characters and their lives, you know them, so seeing them fight and struggle is deeply hard to watch, but also very rewarding. They have so many iconic scenes (the Snap, Thor restarting a star, the big fight at the end of Endgame) that I cant even get into all of them, but what I really love is how it really does feel like a big comic book crisis crossover come to life. As a fan, its truly a trip to see it play out on the big screen. 

7. Guardians of the Galaxy 2

- This may or may not be an unpopular opinion, but I actually prefer Guardians 2 over Guardians 1. I love the first Guardians, but I found the sequel to be more interesting and emotionally compelling. The characters were deeper and more complex, they did a lot of really cool world building of the cosmic side of the MCU, and I just love the general themes of the movie, which I thought were very thoughtful and complex. The theme of parenting and family, and how complicated those feelings can be, was connected through every subplot and the main plot, and affected every character, and eventually led to the redemptions of Nebula and Yondu, which they really sold the hell out of, despite it all basically happening in one movie. Plus, Ego is a really interesting and creepy villain, and for such a fun, often madcap film, his true plan and what he did to his children (and the pile of bones) is some of the most disturbing stuff in the MCU until that time. And that ending *sniffle*.

8. Guardians of the Galaxy

- Told you I loved this one! Just a massive breath of fresh air for the entire superhero genre, especially as it came out right when the DCEU was in the early years of their "so dark and edgy you guys!" phase, and that just made it even more fun. Really, I would say that sums up the movie in general. Its a super fun space romp filled with colorful, memorable, and instantly likable characters, and it set up this new side of the MCU with a lot of confidence and joy. That all being said, it also has a strong emotional core that would be followed through even more in its sequel, and some of the best uses of music in any movie on the whole series. Really, the fact that this movie even existed, especially when this was a time when comic book stories were still trying to be "realistic" or "more down to earth", just speaks to the well earned confidence that Marvel had in its product and brand, and showed that people would even come to a wacky space story with a talking tree and a wise cracking raccoon with a machine gun could still be a hit, and that opened the floodgate for any kind of superhero story anyone wanted to tell. 

9. Captain Marvel

Just a fun ride from start to finish. It had a great ensemble cast, a great leading actress, and while it was clearly a origin story, I am very excited to see where Carol goes next. The movie has a lot of twists and turns, but they mostly feel natural, and they add to the dimensions of the world, and to Carol and her story in ways that make sense. It also has the so much Nick Fury, its amazing, and a very different side of him that still very much felt like the same guy. Also, its a perfect movie for people that like badass women, 90s nostalgia, and kitty cats being cute and kicking ass. So me, basically. 

10. Doctor Strange

- Not only did it officially introduce magic into the MCU (with no "its actually just alien tech" crap) it was just a generally fun, trippy movie that had lots of interesting visuals that had not been used before in the MCU, and added lots of new elements to the world and its lore. It has a great cast as well, and lots of interesting character, and I just really enjoy Stephen Strange, as much of a dick as he can be, even after he becomes a good guy. He is just a compelling character with a solid heroes journey and I always think he brings an interesting dynamic when he meets different people and his combination of "super at one with the universe zen wizard" and "snarky motherfucker" is always a hilarious combination to me. And his cloak is honestly one of my favorite characters in the movie, and when a movie can make you love a magic piece of fabric, and give it that much personality, you know your doing something right. Plus, it has the whole "is this my Chakra?" "Its the wi-fi password, we`re not monsters" exchange is one of my favorites in the whole MCU, it never stops cracking me up. 

This was a really hard list, and I still feel like I missed so many great movies! But that what I got...as of this moment.

• Love 2

Excellent. He was so good in that Bodyguard show. Weird, I was just reading some stuff about him today and didn't see this. He looks like Sebastian Stan though. They really should play brothers in something.

• Love 1

Talking of bad casting choices, the only ones that come to my mind was

• Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye. He's just so boring, but that's mostly on the writers, who chose the least interesting version of Hawkeye possible. Could Renner be the charming lovable loser cad of the 616 Marvel Universe?
  • Tilda Swinton as The Ancient One. Not because she's bad, but because they chickened out on having that character be Asian and were incredibly disingenuous about the reasons why.
  • I don't mind the casting of the villains in Iron Man 2, but they weren't good enough to overcome the script. That's true of most of these "questionable" casting choices. Natalie Portman couldn't make Jane Foster interesting. But who could?

I mostly lay the shortcomings of most performances at the feet of the directors/writers/producers. Like, I think the casts of the DCU movies could have made better versions of those movies if they had competent creative teams that understood the characters. Like, at all. Certainly the three that have come out without Zach Snyder's stink on them have been trending upward in Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam.

• Love 1

Oh, casting has never been the DCEU's problem either, aside from Jesse Eisenberg and Jared Leto. The casting for two of their big three characters is perfect on the order of Chris Evans as Steve Rogers or RDJ as Iron Man, and most of the supporting casts are excellent; they've just had much poorer writing and direction on their films as a whole.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think most of the casting missteps happened early on when Marvel was trying to prove themselves. Hiddleston and Hemsworth weren’t well known so they went with name recognition in Portman even though she was wrong for the role. I recently read a article that mention The Incredible Hulk director originally wanted Ruffalo but Marvel wanted Norton because he was a bigger name. 

In many ways Marvel is lucky that the original Avengers worked so well. Favreau had to fight for RDJ. It took a long time for them cast Thor and Cap. Scarlett wasn’t even the first one cast for Nat. If things a gone slightly differently MCU could a been a spectacular failure. 

Edited by Guest

Disney has announced the release dates of the next eight MCU films, but not a single film name.

1 May, 2020 - Untitled Marvel

6 November, 2020 - Untitled Marvel

12 February, 2021 - Untitled Marvel

7 May, 2021 - Untitled Marvel

5 November, 2021 - Untitled Marvel

18 February, 2022 - Untitled Marvel

6 May, 2022 - Untitled Marvel

29 July, 2022 - Untitled Marvel

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/disney-reveals-release-dates-for-eight-new-marvel-movies-134154917.html

Anyone have guesses?

I was actually thinking the other day if there were any MCU movies in 2020.

I know we have Black Panther 2, GotG3, Dr Strange 2, Ant-Man 3, Eternals and Black Widow movies. I'll also toss in Captain Marvel 2 because you know that's got a green light already.

That gets me to 7, there's 8 between 2020-2022.  I suppose one could be Avengers 5 but, I'd also like to see more "new" characters get an origin movie.

3 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Anyone have guesses?

I was actually thinking the other day if there were any MCU movies in 2020.

I know we have Black Panther 2, GotG3, Dr Strange 2, Ant-Man 3, Eternals and Black Widow movies. I'll also toss in Captain Marvel 2 because you know that's got a green light already.

That gets me to 7, there's 8 between 2020-2022.  I suppose one could be Avengers 5 but, I'd also like to see more "new" characters get an origin movie.

You forgot Shang-Chi

Are they actually filming anything right now?

The Eternals isn't fully cast yet. Shang-Chi doesn't have their lead even. GOTG3 isn't filming yet. BP2 and DS2 definitely aren't filming.

Scarlett just got off of a lengthy press tour so she wasn't filming BW for a good chunk of time (this is the only movie I could see them being able to put out by next May because the SFX won't be a building-another-world Eternals extravaganza).

I'm so curious as to what secret filming they have going on in Atlanta right now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Matt K said:

You forgot Shang-Chi

Oh, for some reason I thought that was part of the Disney+ deal. Alright cool, that makes 8 movies

Just now, JessePinkman said:

Are they actually filming anything right now?

The Eternals isn't fully cast yet. Shang-Chi doesn't have their lead even. GOTG3 isn't filming yet. BP2 and DS2 definitely aren't filming.

Good question

Marvel Will Unveil Post-‘Avengers: Endgame’ Slate This Summer, Says Bob Iger

Disney CEO Bob Iger hinted during the studio’s quarterly earnings call Wednesday that Marvel Studios will likely unveil the next slate of films from its cinematic superhero universe at some point this summer.

Iger declined to give specifics about what masked heroes will be in the spotlight for the next phase of Marvel films, though he said “Avengers: Endgame” provided some clues regarding what the future of the comic book empire will look like.

“There are huge opportunities,” Iger said of the possible sequels, spinoffs and standalone superhero films to come. “There are many many different directions that we can go.”

If Kevin Feige can manage to coordinate all these Phase 4 movies, which look to have some serious production time overlaps, with the Disney Plus TV shows, and whatever Marvel decide to do with their newly acquired X-Men rights, then he deserves some kind of honorary Academy Award for being a god of organisation and coordination.

It's hard to think of anyone in Hollywood right now with more personal cachet than Feige. The guy could probably ask for anything he wants, and Disney will try to make it happen.

• Love 3

So I saw an article (can't remember where) about an interview with the Russos (or maybe Feige) hinting at one of the current heroes opening coming out a gay.  It also sounded like the revel would be soonish (so probably not in one of the 2022 movies).  

It got me thinking and the only characters that would possibly fit would be Bucky, Falcon, Captain Marvel and maybe Dr Strange (a real long shot).  To me Bucky would be the best fit.  He has a tv miniseries coming out in the next year which would allow a better look at his personal life than any movie would.  Plus you can tackle the idea of Bucky being an man out of time.  Bucky coming to terms with his sexuality in a time when its more acceptable would be more interesting narratively then just having Falcon have a boyfriend/husband.  Plus Captain Marvel and Dr Strange probably have a good couple of years before their movies come out (probably after Eternals so less of a big deal).  

• Love 1

I saw that article.  I think it will be one of the ones getting a show and not a movie. Could be Bucky or Sam. Of the two I think they would probably go with Bucky. Could even be Loki. I'd say you could sorta see him as a hero after Ragnarok if you squint.

• Love 1

I mean, I always thought Sebastian Stan's performance in the first Captain America movie made it seem he'd have been just as happy to ditch their dates at the science expo and let Steve be the one to give him his send-off before he shipped out. He'd probably be the best choice based on prior film material, though I guess Carol is a blank slate in that regard and they could do whatever they want with her love life.

If the source material is factored in, I think Loki is the only character whose established characterization wouldn't be contradicted.

• Love 3
(edited)

Captain Marvel gave the MCU the absolute perfect slam-dunk setup to make Carol queer. I mean...c'mon now, it's pretty clear Monica has two moms. But there's no way Disney will greenlight their flagship female superhero--and the only one to get her own solo movie to date--coming out as queer. They don't have the balls. So even if the rumor is true, which I doubt, it won't be Carol (unfortunately...because seriously, Captain Marvel put them 98% of the way there).

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, festivus said:

I saw that article.  I think it will be one of the ones getting a show and not a movie. Could be Bucky or Sam. Of the two I think they would probably go with Bucky. Could even be Loki. I'd say you could sorta see him as a hero after Ragnarok if you squint.

I'd be surprised if it was Bucky, given his confirmed interest in women in The First Avenger. Sure, he could come out as gay or bi, despite that. Seems simpler to do it with a character that hasn't shown any interest in the opposite sex thus far - Sam and Carol are the obvious candidates. Maybe Nebula, if she has any sexual desires at all.

Of all of them. I think Carol is the best option, and I actually think they're more likely to go with a gay woman than a gay man, for their first queer superhero. I think they'd consider it less controversial, and probably less likely to cause fanboy outrage.

• Love 1

Mackie has way more chemistry with both Evans & Stan than they have with each other.

Plus Sam has as much potential to be lgbt as any other MCU character (save possibly Loki).

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I'd be surprised if it was Bucky, given his confirmed interest in women in The First Avenger. Sure, he could come out as gay or bi, despite that.

It still wouldn't surprise me if it was Bucky. They could always go with "well it was the 40's, how else would he act" and they haven't really done anything with Sam or Bucky as far as love interests. They never even did Bucky's thing with Natasha (despite a few comments that could hint at it) unless they are saving that for her solo movie. Who knows? If I had to guess right now going off very little information, I just don't know. Could be Carol. If I were deciding it, I'd probably go with Loki. Would be interesting and since he's technically already dead they'd probably get the least backlash with him. Because you know they're thinking about that. It'd be nice if they weren't but not realistic.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Dee said:

Plus Sam has as much potential to be lgbt as any other MCU character (save possibly Loki).

He does. If it was the movies I'd say they probably wouldn't but the streaming show is a different story. 

(edited)

Didn't Sam appreciatively checkout Natasha when they first met? Though I suppose that really just confirms that his eyes work. I certainly don't recall him ever talking about dating or personal romantic interest in anyone.

Making Carol a lesbian would probably further enrage the ComicsGate types who already object to a powerful heroine starring in her own movie and are sure that it earning over a billion dollars is some sort of conspiracy against them. Which might actually be a plus rather than a minus.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Didn't Sam appreciatively checkout Natasha when they first met? Though I suppose that really just confirms that his eyes work. I certainly don't recall him ever talking about dating or personal romantic interest in anyone.

He did! I admit I always kinda low key shipped them but I guess that ship has sailed now. Pun intended. 

I do feel like they're sitting around in meetings like, how can we be more inclusive without it affecting our bottom line? The streaming shows would be the place for that because I still see them making money from that service because of the amount of content it will have. I wonder if they could get away with making Carol gay without it affecting overseas profits? I don't think it would matter much in America. The loudest trolls on the internet are not the audience for female superhero stories anyway. In the end though, it's all about the money.

• Love 1
(edited)
35 minutes ago, festivus said:

It still wouldn't surprise me if it was Bucky. They could always go with "well it was the 40's, how else would he act" and they haven't really done anything with Sam or Bucky as far as love interests. They never even did Bucky's thing with Natasha (despite a few comments that could hint at it) unless they are saving that for her solo movie. 

It's certainly possibly, but I think it would raise fewer questions if they just went with a character who is more of a blank slate, romantically speaking. Bucky definitely checked out Peggy when they met, although it is Hayley Atwell.

I don't think they'll do Bucky/Natasha, which makes me sad, because their story was really good. Speaking of, though, we could add Natasha to the list, as possibly bisexual. She had a brief, boring thing with Bruce, but it didn't amount to anything, and if her movie is a prequel that covers her training, we may see more aspects to her character that could surprise people.

30 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Making Carol a lesbian would probably further enrage the ComicsGate types who already object to a powerful heroine starring in her own movie and are sure that it earning over a billion dollars is some sort of conspiracy against them. Which might actually be a plus rather than a minus.

Fuck the misogynists, I say. Half of them are probably amusing themselves over the fact Carol had short hair in Endgame which, in their eyes, makes a woman less womanly anyway.

Of course, one consideration for Marvel is how certain cultures view homosexuality. Some of the big international markets may not be happy with a gay character, and demand cuts to their version of the movie.

As for checking out Natasha? Put her in the group with Peggy, Steve and Thor as, 'anyone definitely would, regardless of sexuality'.

Edited by Danny Franks

I honestly think that if we are going to get a queer character it is going to be Loki or some character introduced in his show.  I don't see Disney creating a queer human from earth. There is a logic to having an alien character be pansexual.  They have already established that Loki can shapeshift, so his sexuality being fluid is not coming out of left field.  

4 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Speaking of, though, we could add Natasha to the list, as possibly bisexual. She had a brief, boring thing with Bruce, but it didn't amount to anything, and if her movie is a prequel that covers her training, we may see more aspects to her character that could surprise people.

Yeah, I meant to mention her. They could go that way and since probably her movie is a prequel they'd probably face less backlash making her bi since she's already dead and all. 🤨

7 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Of course, one consideration for Marvel is how certain cultures view homosexuality. Some of the big international markets may not be happy with a gay character, and demand cuts to their version of the movie.

Exactly. They will be thinking about their bottom line and I do think the Black Widow movie is going to do well overseas.