Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

Wow the cameos in Captain Marvel and A4 are going to be hard to watch now.

Few people can say they were the grandaddy of modern day myths, a true legend in his own time. I'm so so happy in his final years he got to see the reach the heroes he helped create could have.

(I'm crying too and I hate it lol)

• Love 16
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Me three. I hope he filmed a few more cameos before he died.

I believe that he recorded a few of them. I imagine at least for Captain Marvel and Avenger's 4.

I was sad to just learn of his passing :(.  RIP Stan Lee

There's a picture of Stan Lee with RDJ and he's wearing a light green v-neck sweater, beige shirt and tan trousers. He wore the same outfit when he was in Toronto for FanExpo two years ago. I was lucky enough to get my picture taken with him when he was here and was looking at it on my wall when I saw the other photo posted again. I'm so sad to learn that he died but knowing he would wear the same clothes to different events makes me smile a little.

• Love 2

RIP Stan Lee. He taught us that being a geek was cool, and that being different was something to be embraced, not to be ashamed of. I cant think of many people who have made such an impact on modern pop culture, and who have created so many legends who have improved so many lives. Excelsior! 

• Love 2

It's truly hard to imagine the world of comics without Stan Lee.  It's not an exaggeration to say that he was there almost from the beginning with Marvel (then Timely) Comics.  He was still a visible presence going into this year.  

• Love 3

Hard to believe.  I still remember hearing his narration at the beginning of the Spiderman cartoons I watched when I was a little kid.  Stan was just always there, and despite ourselves, we believed he always would be. Thanks for all the stories, Stan.

Excelsior!

• Love 5

What really inspired me about Stan was how he created Spiderman, The Hulk, Thor and most of his legendary characters in his 40's. Just something about how it wasn't some fake Hollywood story about a guy who had been creating amazing characters since he was a kid, but actually a real person who worked in an industry for years before hitting it big was something really cool.

• Love 4

Stan really was the godfather of the modern super-powered genre.  Marvel's style (which Stan had a huge hand in) of making the characters act like real human beings really did change the whole genre.  It's not just the traditional superhero media like say Arrow or LoT or Marvel's Netflix outings but things like Charmed, Buffy/Angel or books like Dresden Files and even anime/manga like Fullmetal Alchemist or Evangelion (to give a few examples) all embraced the idea of using super-powers (which I'm including things like Mechas) as a back drop for telling stories about people (and honestly, I feel even modern DC characters like Batman owes a debt to this idea as well same with New Teen Titans and Constantine for a few examples).

It's nice that the MCU continued this tradition.  I feel the real reason the MCU is so popular is because the characters come first.  I may think Thor 2 was a bad movie but those Thor-Loki scenes made it worth seeing.  And Avengers only really works due to the interactions between Banner, Thor, Cap and Iron Man. 

Stan probably wasn't the only one pushing Marvel in this direction but he definitely was the one publicizing this type of storytelling.  And his impact on modern fiction is huge. 

• Love 4

The MCU person whose reaction surprised me the most was Evangeline Lilly.  She's put a lot of stuff about Stan on her Twitter, and not just retweets.

The "xoxo Your Wasp" thing...

47 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

What really inspired me about Stan was how he created Spiderman, The Hulk, Thor and most of his legendary characters in his 40's. Just something about how it wasn't some fake Hollywood story about a guy who had been creating amazing characters since he was a kid, but actually a real person who worked in an industry for years before hitting it big was something really cool.

What's even more amazing is that he was this close to quitting Marvel, but they asked him for one more story.  His wife Joan (who he got to rejoin after being without her for a year) told him that since he was leaving anyway, just to write what he wanted.  What he wanted was the Fantastic Four.

Face front, True Believers.  Stan lived more in one lifetime than most people would in ten.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Lugal said:

Hard to believe.  I still remember hearing his narration at the beginning of the Spiderman cartoons I watched when I was a little kid.  Stan was just always there, and despite ourselves, we believed he always would be. Thanks for all the stories, Stan.

Excelsior!

You post reminded me of the Series Finale to Spider-Man the Animated Series which lead me to find it on YouTube and now i'm crying because i watched it.

• Love 6
On 11/14/2018 at 5:10 PM, JessePinkman said:

The tributes are unending, I feel like we're in national mourning.

It's a testament to Lee's legacy that there's been such an outpouring of grief over the last few days. From the fans, from the actors, even from Marvel's 'rival' DC. No matter how we feel about the characters at any given time, their creator made them flawed, human, relatable. It's been said, but it really did feel like Stan would always be there as a guiding star, even for those of us who never read comics. I don't even think it's real for me yet.

• Love 10
47 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

It's been said, but it really did feel like Stan would always be there as a guiding star, even for those of us who never read comics. I don't even think it's real for me yet.

If you get the opportunity to read some of his stories you should, they are really good. Back in the late 90's when I was reading comics, online shopping was just starting to take off and Amazon and Barnes and Noble had a lot of great coupons and deals. One of them had a thing where it was $10 off your first order of anything. The marvel essential paperbacks (which were 20 issues of early marvel stories printed on cheap phone book style paper in black and white) were 12 bucks before that coupon. I had like 5 email addreses at the time so I used lots of different coupons for many different ccounts. I read a ton of Stan written issues of Spiderman, Avengers, Cap, Thor, Hulk, Iron man, Ant man and the Fantastic Four. I was kind of surprised at how good they were like addictingly good. Especially since the Cap, Thor and Iron man stories were half a comic. Especially the Fantastic Four which I never cared for, were amazing.

Plus you could really tell how he made the back story most important. The villain of the issue wasn't a big deal, but Peter Parker's love live or Tony'd health or that kind of stuff was what you really cared about. It was funny since for as much as Stan was known as like the Marvel hype man he was a great writer too.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I read a ton of Stan written issues of Spiderman, Avengers, Cap, Thor, Hulk, Iron man, Ant man and the Fantastic Four. I was kind of surprised at how good they were like addictingly good. Especially since the Cap, Thor and Iron man stories were half a comic. Especially the Fantastic Four which I never cared for, were amazing.

And if you read comics by DC at the same time, while a lot were well written, cleverly plotted stories, the heroes were generally rather bland with interchangeable personalities and everyone got along. They were perfect. Lee's innovation was having superheroes with flaws and teams with interpersonal conflict. Nobody mixed humor and angst like Lee where characters like Spider-Man and the Thing could make you laugh and also cry. Even Captain America, as "perfect" a character they had, when he was brought back in The Avengers after a long absence, was dealing with being a man 20 years out of time and survivor's guilt about the death of his sidekick. Lee was also really the first to bring the soap opera style to superhero comic books where the hero's personal life was more important to whover villain he was facing that issue. That focus in storytelling is still with us today both in books but also movies and TV shows.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4