Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10 The Last Seven Weeks

• Start Topic

Ugh of course Randall won, I feel like I am bombarded with political stuff all the time and I don't want to see it here too.

But thankfully Kevin has been so cute lately. Maybe it's because I recently saw Justin Hartley in that Bad Mom movie..... ;)

I was kind of bored with Toby and Kate but him building that stadium was sweet.

And Nicky is alive as we surmised before.

• Love 21
1 minute ago, greekmom said:

Back on the hate train for Kate. No one sells 1979 Star Wars action figures and for 10 bucks!!! She cannot be that stupid. I would have slapped that snot nosed kid who wouldn’t give them back and then called his mother.  Toby is a saint for not being overly upset at Kate then building that stadium for her. 

Sad thing is that it's totally realistic. My mom and my grandmother do not understand why my father and grandfather, respectively, keep boxes of baseball cards. My grandmother has even tried to get my grandfather to sell all of his cards. I am on Toby's side but I also think Kate's reaction is realistic.

I was about to protest how everything comes up Randall while Kevin gets shit on yet again by not getting the girl once more, but I'm glad he worked things out with Zoe. I am getting invested in their relationship. 

• Love 13

Randall had about three speeches too many, and of course after the one to his staffers, you knew he was going to win.  Kate's really moved on enough to pull the dad died in the house fire card on the college kid, and I am also glad it didn't work.  But I do think Kate and Tobe Babe are really hitting it out of the park with their supportiveness of each other. 

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And, I am just so offended by that church.  You do not go to church to be seen and you do not go to church to find out who to vote for and the minister shouldn't be telling you that anyway.

Then there are those of us who would vote against the guy who makes a big deal of what a pious soul they are. (Not that politicians tend to care about us much.)

• Love 8

Ugh, I wanted Kate to slap that kid.  I hate disrespectful kids.

So what Randall won?  People win elections all the time and move their families, happens in politics.  I don’t think Randall should grovel, damn.  Sometimes it’s better to be happy than to be right.

Glad Zoe let down her walls.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 11
4 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I also gotta reiterate how dumb it is for Randall to have won. He had seven weeks to convince people, yes, but he was only knocking on doors for about five of those weeks. I'm pretty sure he wasn't knocking on doors prior to Thanksgiving. That shouldn't be enough to convince over 50% of the community that he's the better choice. Also, he even took a week off from doing anything because he was overcompensating with family stuff! At least, that's how I interpreted it. I'm just really irritated by this political storyline. The only hope is that the show drops it by the season 3 finale and Randall finds his new seasonal project for the likely renewed season 4. 

Well, obviously he Pearson-speeched the minister and the minister basically told his whole congregation to vote for him, and since they apparently have no minds of their own, that's how it went down.

• Love 9

Heh, this was my favorite episode of the season so far. I loved the Zoe/Kevin storyline. I was reminded of the Randall that I loved in season one. The only thing I didn't like was Beth apologizing. I almost didn't mind Randall winning.

Toby having that stadium built made me tear up. I have had several things that were dear to me lost in a fire, and I can't imagine how I would react if I could get those items back.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 17
6 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

That kid made it through a treacly Pearson monologue, complete with dead father, pregnancy, and a burned down house.  He deserved to keep the collectibles.  I feel bad, but Kate's stunned look at the end just had me laughing.  She really thought he would buy that manipulative crap.

It's better when you know that she went back AT LEAST once more to try it again and he STILL didn't budge.

3 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Ugh, I wanted Kate to slap that kid.  I hate disrespectful kids.

I don't see him as being disrespectful. Kate tracked him down when he was at a New Years party. He listened to her speech and told her that he would not sell her the collectibles back. He recognized how valuable they were. Then she went back to ask for them back again, even after he said no. She tried, but he was not disrespectful. He got those collectibles fair and square. 

• Love 24

eh ok episode

was amused when kate's speech didn't work, also that was stupid of both of them, toby for not labeling the box clearly and kate for selling it and telling him he had to sell his stuff

no surprise with the randall plot but i thought at the end when he got the call that the consuelman was going to be dead from a  drunk driving accident, also i agreed with randall's manager, if he was stupid enough to drive drunk and bribe people to cover it up rather then face the consequences like an adult then he deserves to have his campaign ruined

Was expecting randall to give on of those speechs to the bakery and then of course they would bake him a pie right away

kevin and zoe plot was ok

• Love 8

That was boring.

Also To ugh time, a few things I mumbled to people I was watching with “I mean.. I hate this political storyline so I don’t care how it ends but he will probably win because it’s this show. I just wish it was over. It’s stupid and boring. I mean he’s probably going to win and I think we are supposed to be surprised that he ends up winning but we are?”

Also I still don’t know how I feel about the Nicky is Alice twist. I write a paragraph about my feelings on it in the last episodes thread and don’t feel like doing so again but it explains my feelings perfectly. And I don’t know how I feel about Jack knowing the whole time. It just bothers me because unlike the first two seasons where it seemed like the writers formed a cohesive plot structure for two seasons that had good, sometimes great storytelling, this season feels like they just threw something together for dramatic effect. Maybe I’m wrong and I’m just projecting how I’m viewing it but it doesn’t feel cohesive to me and anything like the first two seasons. 

• Love 11

Of course Randall wins the election. Of course he does. So now do they have to leave their town and school and house to move to their new neighborhood? I am sure the girls, who are all already going through stuff, will just LOVE that. I hate that Randall gets off the hook after one stupid speech. It wasn't even a very good speech by Pearson standards.

I cant believe that Kate sold 70s Star Wars action figures for $10! I bet that kid was like "What a dumbass! Score!" when he saw those! I mean, they both screwed up on that one. Toby should have marked the package more clearly, and Kate should have realized that you dont sell stuff like that, and that DNS obviously does not stand for donate! And her "its just toys" reaction just made things worse. Like, read the room, Kate!

The football stadium was quite cute though, although this whole mess started out because of a mistake that KATE made, even if they really need a system for marking boxes. I cracked up when the kid didnt go for the Pearson speech. He was just like "sorry...no...those are paying off my student loans, lady". 

Really enjoyed the Kevin stuff, although I worry about where he and Zoe will go. I like Zoe, and I can get why she has issues, and so does Kevin, and I like them together, but I still worry that Kevin will get his heart broken. I mean, an email? Damn girl, that is cold. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 14
9 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Really enjoyed the Kevin stuff, although I worry about where he and Zoe will go. I like Zoe, and I can get why she has issues, and so does Kevin, and I like them together, but I still worry that Kevin will get his heart broken. I mean, an email? Damn girl, that is cold. 

I'm hoping that this storyline is growth for Zoe as much as it is growth for Kevin. I like that they're explaining that Zoe's past history with relationships is for a specific reason but that doesn't mean she's still that girl now that Kevin's in her life. She's showing that she's willing to change as well, much like Kevin has changed. He used to be the guy who shut off his feelings and emotions up until last season. We know Kevin did some shitty things in past relationships, so Zoe breaking up with a long term relationship via email is still about the same as Kevin cheating on his now ex wife and continuously breaking her heart, along with how his other relationships have ended. I think them showing how similar Zoe and Kevin are, but also the legit reason for Zoe's issues, is what helps me like the couple, and Zoe, more and more.

• Love 20
14 minutes ago, lavenderblue said:

This is a fantastic typo and I'm now surprised the show didn't go there for extra drama while they were at it.

Ha. I feel like an idiot. 

But honestly I’m really over the show and I hate this twist with Nicky. It truly feels like they just threw this in because drama and it feels like such a strange turn as if they didn’t have a good plan unlike the past two seasons that were quite good.

• Love 6

I actually enjoyed the show.  I was thrilled and surprised that Randall won without using the dirt on his opponent.  Kevin was fun to watch caring for Zoe with out pushing too much.  The Nicky story is puzzling

• Love 7

Oh, the geek references tonight were awesome!  Star Wars (an original Boba Fett!), Game of Thrones, Clark Kent.  But.. accuracy police here.  Gabe the geek having a cool party?  Nope.  Not gonna happen.  Who would go?* 

The election.  So predictable.  Was anyone else sitting there when Beth and Randall were snuggling in bed, all tired and cute, and thinking (or saying out loud like me) "Okay.  That phone is going to ring.  He's going to answer it.  He will look all serious.  He will thank the caller, turn to Beth and say 'I won'"? 

* With people outside and being loud, I did not get that they were playing Magic the Gathering. 

• Love 5

Oh, I forgot Kevin using a Game of Thrones allegory to get information from the woman at the VA, only for her to Game of Thrones him right back! That was so great, it got a full on laugh out of me. 

That college kid shutting down a classic Pearson speech was something else. Now I just imagine all of these side characters getting together to bitch about ridiculous Pearson antics. Like the group chat that the in-laws all have, but even bigger! I mean, what does this kid care about the backstory of this random person? Of course, of all the Pearson's, Kate really is the queen of over sharing with random strangers. 

I still am amazed that Kate, who worked in Hollywood for years, has no clue how much those Star Wars figures are worth. Or even thought that these old things in their place might just have sentimental value. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 20
50 minutes ago, lavenderblue said:
56 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Also I still don’t know how I feel about the Nicky is Alice twist.

This is a fantastic typo and I'm now surprised the show didn't go there for extra drama while they were at it.

Yes! I was like wait, Nicky is transgender and is now Alice? How’d I miss that? Then I realized typo for alive, and was like yeah hate that too. Had all those thoughts in the space of about two seconds, and then thought, meh, show truly could have gone either way for the dramatic shock value.

• Love 12
31 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Does Zoe have to be tedious every single time she interacts with Kevin? I want to see them have some lighthearted fun and banter together, otherwise it's really hard to see *why* Kevin loves her.

LOL!  Agree!

• Love 10
36 minutes ago, Dreamboat Annie said:

Was anyone else sitting there when Beth and Randall were snuggling in bed, all tired and cute

I didn't see them as snuggly and cute.  Randall was blathering on and on AGAIN.  I swear these people just speechify at each other.  Once one starts talking they don't shut up until the next commercial break.

• Love 21

Neither Randall nor Beth has had a job for quite a while, right?  What are they living on?  I'm sure they had savings, but neither one seems the least bit concerned about money.  I guess now Randall will be getting paid by the city of Philadelphia.  I assume they'll have to move there, which will be really hard on the girls.

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

I didn't see them as snuggly and cute.  Randall was blathering on and on AGAIN.  I swear these people just speechify at each other.  Once one starts talking they don't shut up until the next commercial break.

Seriously, Randall just kept talking. And talking. And talking. 

• Love 11

I’m not sure how long I can stick with this show if TPTB insist on doubling down on this political storyline. I can’t find one thing enjoyable about it and it seems (maybe because I hate it that much) that its taking up large parts of this show and I just... 

Please show. Give it up. None of it makes sense anyway.  

PS. While I’m here, can we give up the longwinded speeches too? Kate’s to the college kid and Randall’s... well I’m counting three right off the top of my head (in this episode alone!) were especially cringeworthy. 

• Love 23
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:
  2 hours ago, Katy M said:

And, I am just so offended by that church.  You do not go to church to be seen and you do not go to church to find out who to vote for and the minister shouldn't be telling you that anyway.

Martin Luther King Jr was a minister of a church who talked a lot about politics from the pulpit. Voting and politics are part of the church for Black people because elections have real consequences in our community. 

Oh, I forgot Kevin using a Game of Thrones allegory to get information from the woman at the VA, only for her to Game of Thrones him right back! That was so great, it got a full on laugh out of me. 

The most awesome moment in television this year--calling it now.

Kevin and Zoe were my favorite part of this episode.

• Love 15
20 minutes ago, kissedbyarose said:

I’m not sure how long I can stick with this show if TPTB insist on doubling down on this political storyline. I can’t find one thing enjoyable about it and it seems (maybe because I hate it that much) that its taking up large parts of this show and I just... 

Please show. Give it up. None of it makes sense anyway.  

PS. While I’m here, can we give up the longwinded speeches too? Kate’s to the college kid and Randall’s... well I’m counting three right off the top of my head (in this episode alone!) were especially cringeworthy. 

Randall’s speech was awful. I literally just wanted the show to end. Even SKB seemed to be phoning that speech in with the monotone delivery. Is he over it too?  Seems like it. 

Again I have to say.. they really don’t seem to have a plan for this season. Nicky being alive and jack knowing is not.. good. The political stuff is so dumb and I’m not excited about it. And I wish I could be excited about Kate and Tony’s baby but I’m not. I kind of like Kevin’s story m but I wish that it wasn’t tied up in the Nicky story so much.

Also as much as I adore Mandy and Milo, it’s clear their scenes now in this show are irrelevant. It’s either flashbacks or just standing around in present day scenes for Mandy and this season the flashbacks feel random and out of place in the show. For Milo it’s just flashback scenes and this season most of his consist of the war and I’m not into that, it’s not my thing. And if it’s not that it’s random flashbacks and see what I said earlier. This season like most of the season the show seems to be having a hard time connecting the flashbacks.

They.. tried tonight I guess by having Randall remember his scenes with jack but it still doesn’t flow like it has in past seasons and this time all the flashback did was bring the show down some more by having it intercut with Randall and his monotone voice over. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, camom said:

Neither Randall nor Beth has had a job for quite a while, right?  What are they living on?  I'm sure they had savings, but neither one seems the least bit concerned about money.  I guess now Randall will be getting paid by the city of Philadelphia.  I assume they'll have to move there, which will be really hard on the girls.

Once they sell their lovely home and move into a 2-br, 1-bath in Randall's building, they'll have plenty of money.

As for Kate's speech, if I were Gabe I would have thought she was making all that up to guilt him into giving them up. She sounded so arrogant and entitled, not like someone grieving her mistake. Glad he blew her off!

• Love 22

Of course Randall won and of course instead of maintaining her justifiable anger, Beth forgave him because he’s so amazing. One blueberry pie completely makes up for everything.

I was so glad the kid wouldn’t sell the figures back to Kate, if only because of her insufferable speech. Toby was sweet to build the stadium.

Kevin was also a jerk after the meeting with Zoe’s ex. You knew she didn’t have the greatest relationship history. You pressure her to move in and then act all pissy?

Still don’t care about Jack and Nicky. 

My conclusion this week is that the blood Pearsons  suck but those married in are okay.

Not surprised Randall won but I was hoping Beth wouldn’t forgive Randle so quickly.

How can Randall throw being a stay-at-home Dad in front of Beth when HE was the one who quit his job?  Also Beth did it for years while working part time.

On top of calling it junk, I was annoyed with Kate telling Toby he had to sell his stuff in the first place. I understand they have to make space for the kid but it doesn’t mean you have to sell your things unless YOU want to. Put it in storage. I’m on the kid’s side for not giving the collection back to her. I find it hard to believe Kate didn’t realize how valuable Toby’s toys were. Kate’s 38, not 88 and has two brothers who are in the age range of watching the OT growing up on TV and the Prequels when they came out in theaters when they were in their teens and early 20s.  

6 hours ago, Katy M said:

Well, obviously he Pearson-speeched the minister and the minister basically told his whole congregation to vote for him, and since they apparently have no minds of their own, that's how it went down.

That's how voting is some areas, especially churches. Some people rather have their religious leader tell them who to vote for instead of doing the research themselves.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Arcadiasw said:

On top of calling it junk, I was annoyed with Kate telling Toby he had to sell his stuff in the first place. I understand they have to make space for the kid but it doesn’t mean you have to sell your things unless YOU want to. Put it in storage. I’m on the kid’s side for not giving the collection back to her. I find it hard to believe Kate didn’t realize how valuable Toby’s toys were. Kate’s 38, not 88 and has two brothers who are in the age range of watching the OT growing up on TV and the Prequels when they came out in theaters when they were in their teens and early 20s.  

That's how voting is some areas, especially churches. Some people rather have their religious leader tell them who to vote for instead of doing the research themselves.

Some people have radio hosts do the same thing. I even heard one say "Don't watch the debate, I'll interpret it tomorrow for you" (gag)

I was a bit underwhelmed. The Nicky thing was slow in coming and it seems obvious that he had emotional and mental issues not dealt with. Why Jack would hide that from family, they weren't going to run down and smash down his door, is beyond me. Hiding a relative with mental illness seems odd, just talk about it and say that's how he wants it, and let it go. The scene in preview with all 3 outside his camper is kind of scary, I hope they reached out first.

I thought the Ebay thing was nice but it's not the same. I had someone throw out a Thumbelina doll I loved for years and, many years later, they got the same doll from ebay and I understood the sentiment, but it wasn't my doll. My doll had markings I made, hair was a certain way, I understand the thought, that meant a lot to me and my kids but it's not the same. The love Toby showed though was perfect.

I'm not interested in the election at all but hope the Nicky story will be interesting. I think Rebecca knew too and that was the secret she kept.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

Wow, Kevin was practically peeing on Zoe's leg to everyone in this episode (the lady at the VA, the congressman who Zoe dated).

Randall continues to be selfish. Even when he's apologizing to his family, he has to interrupt NYE and turn off New Year's Rocking Eve to do it. He couldn't even wait until there was a commercial?

I'm not a fan of the Pearson Speeches to Strangers, so I had to laugh when Kate pulled out every tragedy in her life to convince the guy who bought Toby's Star Wars action figures to sell them back to her and he said no anyway. But I did appreciate that Kate realized she had made a huge mistake and she tried to fix it by tracking down who bought them and trying to get them back.

As for the post above that said Kate should have called the kid's mom, Kate said she sold Toby's stuff to students at her college so Gabe was most likely over 18 which means his mom can't do shit about it either. He bought them fair and square. It's not like he broke into her house and stole them.

I know that Kate is getting a lot of the blame for what happened, but realistically if I were selling a huge collection of stuff like that, I (meaning Toby) would have made a list with the approximate worth of each one so that Kate would know how much to ask for them when she sold them. If he had done that, then Kate would have seen nothing in that box was on the list and logically not sold them until she asked him what they were worth which would have prevented the wacky hijinks.

Ugh, OF COURSE Randall won. Now this stupid storyline will never end. Can we at least keep Jae-won around as a consolation prize?

• Love 15
7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Of course, Randall sob-stories his way to a blueberry pie.
And Kate sob-stories her way to...nothing! lol (I can't be the only one who cheered Gabe, can I?)

Okay, the stadium was cute and very sweet.

When Kate started crying about the "toys" I was thinking don't fall for it Gabe, please don't fall for it. Then I cheered when he turned around. 

When I saw the stadium I remembered Kate crying earlier in the episode and figured that was why.  I wouldn't want to be married to Toby, but he can be a good guy many times and deserves someone better than Kate.

• Love 2

I actually thought Randall was overall tolerable this episode (but I was possibly comparing him subconsciously to his siblings which is bound to make him look good) with a big exception when he said “didn’t I stay home and play superdad for the last year?” Oh, you mean when you threw a hissyfit over fruit and quit without so much as discussing it with you amazing wife who immediately stepped up to support you?