Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10 The Last Seven Weeks

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Oh, thanks.  I've seen that in person.  I guess I didn't pick up on it since they're triplets.  Which one would think would make it even more powerful.

There was a scene in the first season in one of the flashbacks, where kid Kate had to have her appendix taken out and Kevin was walking around clutching his side. So the two of them definitely have a twin bond.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 3
On 1/15/2019 at 10:28 PM, Lady Calypso said:

It's better when you know that she went back AT LEAST once more to try it again and he STILL didn't budge.

I don't see him as being disrespectful. Kate tracked him down when he was at a New Years party. He listened to her speech and told her that he would not sell her the collectibles back. He recognized how valuable they were. Then she went back to ask for them back again, even after he said no. She tried, but he was not disrespectful. He got those collectibles fair and square. 

Thinking about it I get your guys point about the guy and the collectibles.

On 1/15/2019 at 11:01 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

Ha. I feel like an idiot. 

But honestly I’m really over the show and I hate this twist with Nicky. It truly feels like they just threw this in because drama and it feels like such a strange turn as if they didn’t have a good plan unlike the past two seasons that were quite good.

Do you mean Alex? I'm still confused sorry.

2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Nicky, the uncle (Jack's brother) who is still alive.

2 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Alex? I’m talking about Nicky Jacks brother?

It said something about Nicky being Alice? I wasn’t sure what you meant.

2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Nicky, the uncle (Jack's brother) who is still alive.

Oh alive not Alice. I get it. 

On 1/21/2019 at 4:20 PM, GodsBeloved said:

Zoe did tell Kevin she had a relationship with Andy. I’m not sure not going into details about their break up was all the necessary especially since they ended a while ago. Even Andy said he thought enough time had passed. I don’t think Zoe blindsided Kevin at all.

But as you said, drama.

I think she did.  That relationship ended badly - She ended it in a shitty way.  So it was certainly possible that something might be said about that.  IMO she should have at least casually mentioned it to Kevin.  If it didn't come up, fine.  But at least it wouldn't have come as a surprise to Kevin if it did come up.   Which it did.   I'm very big on damage control in advance, so I know I would have clued him in - not a whole story, but at least the basic details.  The focus was supposed to be on Nicky, so I would have tried to clear the field of any other distractions.  Or drama.  (There's that word again!!)  :-)

9 hours ago, Sake614 said:

That's very realistic though, and one of the reasons I'm so down on organized religion. Ministers, priests, rabbis...they all stand up there and tell you what to do, how to think, who to vote for, etc.

I can't speak about ministers or priests, but I have known many rabbis throughout my life, and I've never seen any of them come even close to telling congregants who to vote for.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Brookside said:

Thanks for replying, but I still don't know what a twin thing is.

It's that thing they have that they haven't shown since early in the first season when Kate woke up because Kevin was upset that he had lost his job or something.  And, when she said he broke his arm at camp when they were kids and she felt it.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

I think she did.  That relationship ended badly - She ended it in a shitty way.  So it was certainly possible that something might be said about that.  IMO she should have at least casually mentioned it to Kevin.  If it didn't come up, fine.  But at least it wouldn't have come as a surprise to Kevin if it did come up.   Which it did.   I'm very big on damage control in advance, so I know I would have clued him in - not a whole story, but at least the basic details.  The focus was supposed to be on Nicky, so I would have tried to clear the field of any other distractions.  Or drama.  (There's that word again!!)  :-)

I can't speak about ministers or priests, but I have known many rabbis throughout my life, and I've never seen any of them come even close to telling congregants who to vote for.

I'm Jewish too, and I suspect that's a difference in culture. Similarly, although rabbis are available for pastoral counseling, I've never gone to a rabbi when troubled... but know that going to a minister or priest is a common thing. That said, churches aren't supposed to say who to vote for by law, but they do weigh in on issues, so implications can be very clear.

I agree that Zoe did blindside him; she could at least have said, I know a Congressman, we used to date long ago. Without going into details. 

I actually have gone to a rabbi when troubled, and at other times too.  Different rabbis at different stages of my life.   I also worked in a synagogue, and it was very common for congregants to come in for private time and counseling with the rabbi when dealing with death, marital issues, personal crises, etc.   It has certainly always seemed like a common thing to me.

But I was really replying to the contention that religion tells people how to vote, and, in my experience, that’s not true.  So it’s just a generalization.  Obviously everyone’s experience within their own religion is different. 

(Sorry - the quote box disappeared.)

Edited by DebbieM4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, wonderwoman said:

well, i've been hate watching for a while -- round the time the randall starting his campaign. now that he's won, i'm offically out. can't stand more of his pontificating. 

You're nicer than me since you didn't add "self righteous" and "holier-than-thou" to "pontificating". He is completely insufferable.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

When I think of blindsiding someone I think it’s intentional or something very obvious is overlooked. I see your point about clearing the field even though I am not at the point where I think it was obvious to Zoe that breakup by e-mail would come up. 

I did like that Andy put in the request. I also wondered if Randall would run against Andy because city counsel or whatever office he won will get old to him fast :/

On 1/15/2019 at 10:00 PM, Armchair Critic said:

Ugh of course Randall won, I feel like I am bombarded with political stuff all the time and I don't want to see it here too.

But thankfully Kevin has been so cute lately. Maybe it's because I recently saw Justin Hartley in that Bad Mom movie..... ;)

I was kind of bored with Toby and Kate but him building that stadium was sweet.

And Nicky is alive as we surmised before.

Agreed. I'm loving Kevin now! Saving the show for me. 

• Love 3
On 1/16/2019 at 7:47 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

For once, this was something I didn't nitpick because she didn't say that she sold them to her friends in college, just that she sold them to kids from her college. I assumed that she just advertised at school, either online through student listservs, school FB groups, etc. or going old school by putting flyers up around campus. She later said that she spent the last two weeks sending friend requests to every person at her school to try to track down Gabe so I assumed she didn't actually know him beforehand (otherwise she would have already had a way to contact him).

This just totally creeps me out.  She basically stalked the guy in order to try to get back the items.  Who does that?  I would have called campus security or someone to keep this stranger away.  What if the story was that Toby sold something to a female and then tracked her down?  Kate is just so self-centered that nobody else matters and she should just get what she wants.  

On 1/23/2019 at 12:06 PM, DebbieM4 said:

I actually have gone to a rabbi when troubled, and at other times too.  Different rabbis at different stages of my life.   I also worked in a synagogue, and it was very common for congregants to come in for private time and counseling with the rabbi when dealing with death, marital issues, personal crises, etc.   It has certainly always seemed like a common thing to me.

But I was really replying to the contention that religion tells people how to vote, and, in my experience, that’s not true.  So it’s just a generalization.  Obviously everyone’s experience within their own religion is different. 

(Sorry - the quote box disappeared.)

It's actually against the law/policy for a church that has religious exemption from taxes, etc., to promote political candidates (not sure about other political activities).  However, historically different churches have served different functions within various communities.  In many African American communities, the churches have a role in community affairs and as community centers that other churches do not necessarily fulfill.  But, given that the writers needed Randall to win, they probably did not bother to find out about the nuances.

• Love 1
On 1/15/2019 at 10:34 PM, Drumpf1737 said:

Martin Luther King Jr was a minister of a church who talked a lot about politics from the pulpit. Voting and politics are part of the church for Black people because elections have real consequences in our community. 

Churches have to be very careful about getting into political issues lest they lose their tax-exempt status.

I know bad parents can screw kids up for life, but this is the only show I have ever seen where the kids are screwed up for life because they had a good parent.   How would Jack feel knowing that his three children -- all three of them -- are doomed to live their lives in his shadow, second-guessing every move they make, everything they say, everything they do, constantly asking themselves WWJD?   And not just occasionally, but obsessively, like a mental disorder?  

Is this what Jack wanted for his kids?   To cast a shadow on every moment of their lives, their need for his approval eclipsing the joy or sadness of their own experiences, taking them out of the moment so they can measure it against the yardstick of "what would my father think?"

How would he feel knowing that his saintly perfection, cut short in its prime, resulted in Rebecca's contributions to the family being diminished almost to the point of meaninglessness?   Like most moms back then, she probably worked much harder at maintaining the family than the father.   Not only that, she had to pick up all the pieces and keep the family going in the wake of his death.   But to these kids it seems like a big so-what?  An afterthought at best.   They don't have time to consider or truly appreciate what Rebecca did for them through the years because Jack has taken up all the space in their craniums.   Even twenty years later!  What would my father say?  What would my father think?   What would my father want me to do?

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think they're all mentally ill.   And I don't know how their spouses put up with it.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, millennium said:

I know bad parents can screw kids up for life, but this is the only show I have ever seen where the kids are screwed up for life because they had a good parent.   How would Jack feel knowing that his three children -- all three of them -- are doomed to live their lives in his shadow, second-guessing every move they make, everything they say, everything they do, constantly asking themselves WWJD?   And not just occasionally, but obsessively, like a mental disorder?  

Is this what Jack wanted for his kids?   To cast a shadow on every moment of their lives, their need for his approval eclipsing the joy or sadness of their own experiences, taking them out of the moment so they can measure it against the yardstick of "what would my father think?"

How would he feel knowing that his saintly perfection, cut short in its prime, resulted in Rebecca's contributions to the family being diminished almost to the point of meaninglessness?   Like most moms back then, she probably worked much harder at maintaining the family than the father.   Not only that, she had to pick up all the pieces and keep the family going in the wake of his death.   But to these kids it seems like a big so-what?  An afterthought at best.   They don't have time to consider or truly appreciate what Rebecca did for them through the years because Jack has taken up all the space in their craniums.   Even twenty years later!  What would my father say?  What would my father think?   What would my father want me to do?

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think they're all mentally ill.   And I don't know how their spouses put up with it.

Obviously you haven't seen the rest of the series yet. 

7 hours ago, Aloeonatable said:

Obviously you haven't seen the rest of the series yet. 

My first time.   Hulu.   It will be amazing to me if I make it to the end of the series   These people are very hard to take.   Maybe it was easier to watch on the first run, with a week's break between episodes. 

19 minutes ago, millennium said:

My first time.   Hulu.   It will be amazing to me if I make it to the end of the series   These people are very hard to take.   Maybe it was easier to watch on the first run, with a week's break between episodes. 

It's definitely a show crafted for a slow release instead of streaming.  You need some time between episodes to reset.  I could not imagine binging this.  I would be wishing bodily harm on a few of the characters if I did that.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, millennium said:

I agree. None of the ingrates could understand Rebecca was perfectly happy with Miguel. Or gave her the space to do so.

Suddenly it became about Rebecca as their hero, not Jack. Who died when they were 18.

Hated they could barely stand Miguel. Over road him as her new love and husband and companion until the end.

None of her children, imo, thought of her as anything except Jack's wife. Until the end.

1 hour ago, bros402 said:

well now we need the list

Kate, Toby, Randall, Jack, William, in that order.   (The only reason William's on the list is because by now I'm tired of his story).

22 hours ago, millennium said:

Kate, Toby, Randall, Jack, William, in that order.   (The only reason William's on the list is because by now I'm tired of his story).

what about Kevin?

or does Kevin bribe you with some of his Unknown Amount Of Lots Of Cash(tm) to not kill him?

58 minutes ago, bros402 said:

what about Kevin?

or does Kevin bribe you with some of his Unknown Amount Of Lots Of Cash(tm) to not kill him?

Manny say whaaa?

Kevin's okay.   My only criticism is that he's a highly unlikely character.   I grudgingly bought into the washed-up sitcom star story line.  But then he lands a movie produced by Ron Howard?   I don't know which idea is more ludicrous -- Opie hiring Kevin or Stallone to be in one of his movies, let alone both.   But of the Big Three, I find Kevin to be the least offensive so far (and I loved when he told Miguel no, you can't wear the hat; Miguel should have known better than to ask).

Speaking of Kevin, this has been bugging me for awhile: when Kevin returns to guest star on The Manny in Season 2 (I think), the premise is that the baby is lost.   To find the baby, Kevin and the little kid decide Kevin has to think like a baby, so he dons a big diaper.   Maybe I'm overthinking this, but if a baby is lost, wouldn't you immediately start turning the whole house upside down?  And if you still can't find the baby, call the police?  Instead the writers have Kevin put on a giant diaper.    It feels like a waste of precious time while the baby's drowning in the toilet or crawled out the cat door or whatever.

4 hours ago, millennium said:

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but if a baby is lost, wouldn't you immediately start turning the whole house upside down?  And if you still can't find the baby, call the police?  Instead the writers have Kevin put on a giant diaper.    It feels like a waste of precious time while the baby's drowning in the toilet or crawled out the cat door or whatever.

I don't think we were ever supposed to think that The Manny was high or even medium quality TV.  It was supposed to be ridiculously stupid.  That's why Kevin quit/had a meltdown on set.

Just now, Katy M said:

I don't think we were ever supposed to think that The Manny was high or even medium quality TV.  It was supposed to be ridiculously stupid.  That's why Kevin quit/had a meltdown on set.

LOL, yes.  Hence my disclaimer "maybe I'm overthinking this ..."