Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E08: Jason Momoa / Mumford & Sons

• Start Topic

Jason’s SNL promo

I think that this was one of the more engaging promos they’ve done in awhile:  very cute.  (Sorry, I don’t know how to embed the link to YouTube on my phone.) 

I stanned for Mumford & Sons back in the day, but their new album (just like their last) is zzzzzzz (IMO) .... so I’m really not looking forward to them on Saturday.

• Love 5

He's the new Aquaman. He was on the first season of Game of Thrones and starred in the rebooted Conan The Barbarian.

Basically if Arnold and Dewayne Johnson had a baby....  ;) 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 9
51 minutes ago, vb68 said:

He's the new Aquaman. He was on the first season of Game of Thrones and starred in the rebooted Conan The Barbarian.

Basically if Arnold and Dewayne Johnson had a baby....  ;) 

And he was on Baywatch nearly 20 years ago, and he was also in 78 episodes of Stargate Atlantis.

• Love 6
On 12/5/2018 at 6:42 PM, Peace 47 said:

Jason’s SNL promo

I think that this was one of the more engaging promos they’ve done in awhile:  very cute. 

That promo is delightful. I don't know Jason Momoa at all so I don't know if I am missing any specific allusions to his career, but it stands up on its own. Ridiculously, the cut version I saw broadcast during the Late Show included only the page handing him the phone at the beginning and then jumped to the last two lines at the end, stripping the thing of all of its charm and diluting the absurdity to an almost undetectable level.

• Love 2

Keenan was on Watch What Happens Live on Thursday and he was talking about what a good guy Jason is and how he had a great family. I was disappointed when no one asked him if he'd have reason to break out his Cosby impression.*

*Jason was in all those things mentioned above but I know him mostly for being Lisa Bonet's husband.

• Love 5

Cold Open: We start with Don Jr AND I'M ERIC. Of course Eric sleeps in a race car bed. And yeah, of course Mueller was in the closet, and it was the best acting De Niro has done in ages. Man, it got awkward at the end there.

Monologue: It's been a long time since we've gotten a song monologue, and they saved it for Jason Momoa. It was great and THANK GOD IT WAS ONLY ONE LINE. The Underwater Boogie was fun, but I wish we only got the brief song.

Elf on The Shelf: Good god it's weird hearing Jason Momoa having a high pitched voice, but it really made the sketch. The elf costume is amazing, too. No shock the whole thing was about his kid masturbating. I couldn't believe they got away with a fleshlight joke.

GE Big Boy Appliances: I could see these things being made, if they haven't already. You could swear this was real had Jason Momoa not been in it. I just like the concept, advertising home appliances the same way one would market power tools. Man, you know GE wouldn't have signed off on being used here if they still owned NBC by how much they got dragged here.

Khal Drogo's Ghost Dojo: And here's the inevitable Game of Thrones sketch. A talk show starring characters that got killed off? Genius. "Brianne of Tarth? Are you dead? I'm seriously asking, the show's been off so long." That was great, and I also loved all the fake ads. I don't really need to see the show or read the books, this had just about every spoiler in it. But I liked just how much it kept building, like ending it with Talking Dojo, wity the Chris Hardwick stand-in getting killed off. That was amazing. Loved the guy with googly eyes. He only needed to be on for five seconds, and he was the best part.

Them Trumps: This was a great bit. Of course Darius Trump's presidency ends in five minutes.

WU: There was a lot of news in the past few days, and Update is where they dumped it all at once. You know Colin and Che are just DONE. Matthew Whittaker as Super Krang was an image I won't forget. I don't doubt that Trump would fake his death, then tweet about it. Aidy's character was interesting. She really embodied that kind of kid so well. The non political stuff was, of course, great. The Space-X, Kevin Hart, Drag Race, and Bullfighting jokes were the best. Che saying "Well, that was short" referring to Kevin Hart had to be an ad-lib, and it was great. Michael Che having his own feature has to be an SNL first. I don't recall an anchor getting their own before.

A Christmas Carol: Yep, a sketch for everyone crushing on Jason.

Day of The Dorks: And now a Revenge of The Nerds spoof, with Jason as Ogre. Yeah, whoever thought of that casting deserves a raise. Yeah, Ogre is a character that isn't really talked about when people talk about Revenge of The Nerds. He's clearly an adult man on the football team and nobody batted an eye because he hated nerds. He's kicked out of the Alpha Betas in the second movie. (he also ends up joining the nerds) I liked Jason just wrecking stuff. I thought the jock frat having a nerd as a mole is a pretty interesting concept, but yeah, he had to be wrecked, and I thought that was funny.

Sleigh Ride: Oh, Gemma's back. Didn't really care for it.

First Impression: This was silly. I could've watched Jason try to follow Beck's weird voice around for hours.

Rudolph's Big Night: Pete killed it. A cocky Rudolph was right up his alley. See, Beck's Santa just wants to hear about good children. Jason Momoa's Santa will just straight up shoot his reindeer.

9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

*Jason was in all those things mentioned above but I know him mostly for being Lisa Bonet's husband.

He actually brought that up!

25 minutes ago, Sader87 said:

This is one of the worst SNLs I can remember so far.

Gonna disagree, I ended up liking this one more than I thought I would.

Next week Matt Damon closes out the year.

• Love 19

I quite enjoyed this episode, which was helped tremendously by how totally gonzo Jason Momoa was in everything they gave him.

Also (and I rarely comment on musical guests!): Mumford and Sons was so, so good. That last song was one of the best SNL live performances in a long time.

• Love 10

I liked the open, even with De Niro having his usual issues with line readings.  I loved Big Boy Appliances.  And I thought Them Trumps was fabulous.  WU was pretty good.  I liked Che getting a segment.  And the Kevin Hart short joke.  Otherwise... not great. 

Oh yes... Mumford and Sons are great. 

• Love 3

I thought it was good. Very good in places. You couldn't ask for a more enthusiastic host. Jason has charisma to burn, and that helped cover some of the weaker sketches.

My favorites were Ghost Dojo and Them Trumps (both of which were creative and great parodies) and then Day of the Dorks and the Rudolph sketch. I thought they were all fun.

Che switching seats to do a "feature" was also amusing. Wish I liked Aidy's new character more than I did. It felt like it was trying too hard to capture the vibe of Jacob.

29 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

and it was the best acting De Niro has done in ages.

Not for me. He needed some rehearsal time. He kept messing up with the cue cards, and that took me out of it.

I also didn't think Jason needed that much help with the monologue. They only send that many people out if they think the host needs it. And the last several hosts have done fine delivering solo monologues.

But again I liked Jason fine. He seems like a really good guy. Hope he comes back.

And a musical guest I actually know. That was really nice, as it is also increasingly very rare. 

ETA: Oh yeah, I really noticed tonight how the show has quietly grown pretty dependent on Mikey. He's the male lead more often than not  but also can provide solid support like in the Sleigh sketch. He helped hold this one together. Kate still gets her star turns, and Cecily, Kenan, and Aidy do their things, but Mikey is starting to look like the glue to me. '

Edited by vb68
  • Love 11
8 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I also didn't think Jason needed that much help with the monologue.

I went to YouTube to check out “Aqua Boogie” (never heard of it), but it seems like it’s nine minutes long, so nah.

• Love 2

I liked Jason’s monologue before the aqua boogie thing.  I appreciated that he said he was an SNL superfan:  I love when people can let their fannish-ness show.  “If you cry, it’ll rain in Hawaii.”  Good line!  He did the monologue in bare feet:  what a free spirit.

I’ve been dinging Pete on laughing through sketches, and so I’m glad he kept it together through the Game of Thrones and Rudolph sketches.  The Rudolph sketch in particular would have died if he hadn’t been committed to it.  I thought it was funnier than the audience did.

Robert DeNiro may be one of the finest actors of his generation and may be a good person (don’t know, don’t follow his celebrity gossip), but he is so bad at live sketch comedy.  So, so bad.  I legit get nervous when I see him appear because I’m holding my breath just hoping he can get out the lines.

I thought that Che doing a feature on, and obviously being so passionate about, bidets  was very funny.  I also liked when he channeled Leslie there for a second, then gave it up.

• Love 12

I think the general theme was "Jesus, Jason Momoa is a friggin' freak of nature." I think Santa was the most "normal" role he played tonight, and that skit ended with him killing a reindeer. I am looking forward to Aquaman. It looks good, and maybe it could beat the mediocrity set by most of the other DC Comics-based movies. If that fails, there's always Shazam! Zachery Levi has never guested, right? And he could pull off at least one musical bit.

Is there an official list on how many male roles Kate has played? This is more curiosity than anything. Of course Tiny Tim would like the Ghost of Christmas Swole.

Cocky Rudolph for the win. The bit with the "cherry" was a tad overkill, though. I did like the zipper-in-the-front costumes.

I'll have to show my mother the Khal Drogo sketch. I never got into GoT. I did see these two sketches from Robot Chicken that are sort of relevant to the sketch.

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Not for me. He needed some rehearsal time. He kept messing up with the cue cards, and that took me out of it.

I meant just the part where he's in the closet. The rest of it...yeah, his eyes were right on those cue cards.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, vb68 said:

I thought it was good. Very good in places. You couldn't ask for a more enthusiastic host. Jason has charisma to burn,

I'd heard of Momoa only recently...because of Aquaman.  I'd never seen him in anything, so I didn't think he was good and I didn't see any charisma.  I thought he worked very hard and seemed willing to do anything they asked of him, but charisma?  Nope.    Poor DeNiro he will NEVER be good on live TV.

• Love 2

I thought Jason was hilarious. I don't know why him screaming "DOOOOOOORKS!" over and over made me laugh so hard but it did. Also loved him reprising Khal Drogo for the GOT skit.

"Them Trumps" was spot-on. And the Cold Opening was great. I don't care if DeNiro looks at the cue cards, I still love seeing his Bob Mueller.

• Love 7

I really appreciated how game Jason was to make fun of himself and his image.

Still laughing at Oberyn Martell with the googly eyes. Didn't think Kate worked as Joffrey Baratheon though. I would've gone with Pete.

Lisa Bonet, girl, you win. You win forever, or at least until there's a conscious uncoupling. Lawd have mercy that man is gorgeous.

• Love 16

Well, that was a weird one. Maybe it was just my mood, but I hardly laughed at all during most of it, and fast forwarded a lot. Usually I only do that during the musical segments. Nothing against Jason or anyone really. Maybe the writing wasn't the best this week? 

While I'm being negative (and I do usually enjoy this show), I have to admit that I've never found Aidy funny. I've enjoyed sketches she's been in, but I don't find her funny as a person, and her WU segment tonight sealed it for me. I like her as a person, but she's never going to make me laugh, unlike say, Kristen Wiig or various others who can make me laugh while reading the phone book. 

I did enjoy the power tool segment though. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Lisa Bonet, girl, you win. You win forever, or at least until there's a conscious uncoupling. Lawd have mercy that man is gorgeous.

Seriously.  And on top of everything, he can DANCE too.  He's soooooooooo gorgeous.  His smile!

I enjoyed the power tool segment, it was so sexy, LOL. 

I'm glad he got to do this, it's been a huge dream for him and his enthusiasm was contagious.  I actually really liked the Aqua Boogie number!  The costumes and commitment!  Anytime Chris Redd is in a musical segment it's good.

I'm so soured on Che and Jost I never look forward to WU anymore.  

Ok I'm so old I fell asleep at one point in the show.  Will watch the rest of the sketches now.  Jason was extremely game and I agree, he was good at playing up all the freakish aspects of himself without any hesitation or shame.  He can definitely say that he can do this, in my opinion. 

@vb68 Good call on Mikey Day.  I was going to post the same.  He was in almost every sketch. Although I did like him clarifying that he's asexual as the Sleigh Rider.

Finally watching this Rudolph sketch.  This is brilliant.  Turning the the reindeer camp into some kind of prison.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

I'd heard of Momoa only recently...because of Aquaman.  I'd never seen him in anything, so I didn't think he was good and I didn't see any charisma.  I thought he worked very hard and seemed willing to do anything they asked of him, but charisma?  Nope.   

I just completely disagree.  It is very difficult to be all things to everybody, but Jason does have charisma. I thought  a lot of the sketches, notably the Scrooge one, relied on him being charming and likable.

9 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

I meant just the part where he's in the closet. The rest of it...yeah, his eyes were right on those cue cards.

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I don't care if DeNiro looks at the cue cards, I still love seeing his Bob Mueller.

Just to clarify, my complaint wasn't that he looked at the cards. Everyone has to do that. It's the way the show functions. He just fumbled so bad trying to read them that it took me out of the sketch entirely. I seriously doubt that DeNiro shows up for rehearsal, but that would surely help out a lot. 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I just completely disagree.  It is very difficult to be all things to everybody, but Jason does have charisma. I thought  a lot of the sketches, notably the Scrooge one, relied on him being charming and likable.

Just to clarify, my complaint wasn't that he looked at the cards. Everyone has to do that. It's the way the show functions. He just fumbled so bad trying to read them that it took me out of the sketch entirely. I seriously doubt that DeNiro shows up for rehearsal, but that would surely help out a lot. 

It's also weird because I think he should actually play Mueller in the movie we ALL know is coming and he'd be great at it!

The "Revenge of the Nerds" parody was my favorite sketch for nostalgic reasons. Jason Mamoa as "Ogre" was something I didn't know I wanted to see until now!

Second favorite is the "Shelf Elves" sketch. I think it was Matt Groening on a Simpsons DVD commentary that said Americans get by freaked out by things said explicitly but can't get enough of innuendo.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5

My fav episode in a while. Just because of Jason Momoa, who could have stood there and not said a thing for all I care. Not gonna lie. Lol

The elf on a shelf was funny. Entire thing cracked me up even though it’s so juvenile.

Christmas Carol was just a reason to show Jason being his sexy self but I’m not mad at it. Lol

Loved the Brienne of Tarth and Oberyn Martell bits of the Got skit.

overall I appreciated Jason’s willingness to be crazy in all the skits. I thought he was a great host but wish there were a few better written skits.

mumford and Son was good. I usually don’t watch both performances but I did this week. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Cocky Rudolph for the win. The bit with the "cherry" was a tad overkill, though. I did like the zipper-in-the-front costumes.

I rewatched the show after I read this earlier and paid attention to the suits, even better than the zipper in the front was they looked to be velour track suits. 

• Love 3

Saturday night live has to be the most puzzling shows ever. Just the way it's viewed. 

How was this episode in any way enjoyable? It's was virtually unfunny and awkward from beginning to end.

I don't give a damn how enthusiastic a host is at this point. Is it funny? That's what I need. 

I'm glad Jason had a great time. And always seems like a great guy. But SNL can miss me with this lazy bullshit.

• Love 14

I liked this episode a lot. I think it's in my top two for the season so far, and I say that because I remember there was another one I also liked, but I can't even remember which one it was. I liked some sketches more than others, but there were none I didn't think were funny, which is rare for me. I usually pretty much think at least one sketch per episode is total crap.

If you've never seen Parliament Funkadelic, the monologue might have seemed just randomly weird, but if you have? It was awesome. PFunk was an institution in its time, and the hilarity of seeing it reprised will never fade for me.

I loved Aidy's character on WU. She's different than Jacob in that Jacob is embarrassed but earnest. Aidy's character is wide-open and innocent. Maybe Jacob was like that when he was younger, but I still took it in a  different way. Jacob is kind of a nerd (I like nerds, I would generally be considered one myself, so that's not meant to be an insult). Aidy's character is kind of the kid who is just happy and sociable and likes everyone. I actually thought the use of the same line Seth used to use with Stefon (about how maybe she could suggest things that other people would enjoy) made the sketch. Imagining Stefon as a little boy, just wide-eyed and enjoying everything the family did-- that was a whole new dimension both on my ideas about Stefon and also my ideas about how Aidy's character might turn out later. FUNNY AS HELL in that light.

WU in general was really good this week.

LOVED "Big Boy Appliances" and "Them Trumps".

What I liked about the sleigh ride was that Gemma was really genuinely a nice person, and not actually as self-absorbed or man-focused as you'd expect. She didn't enjoy her bf's recklessness, and she was genuinely friendly to the other couple and asked them about singing and joined in.

I've always loved the Don jr and Eric sketches, but for the first time I realized it's not working for me the way it used to, mostly because I just don't see the boys as being so innocent and nice. Having them alone just being nice to each other didn't work the way it works for me when they have them in a public setting where one is trying to spin and keeps getting undercut by the other. I loved Eric's stuffed whale, though. And the idea of Mueller in the closet was good, though I agree that DeNiro is the worst cue card reader of all time. Leslie is better, and Leslie psucks at reading cue cards.

Xmas Carol was basically a vehicle for Jason to strip, so I chalk that one up to fanservice and let it go. He's not actually my cup of tea but I respect the point of view that says I'm missing out.

First Impressions sketch: I really thought it was going to turn into a spoof of "Meet the Parents" and have DeNiro show up, but was kind of glad it wasn't. I kind of found it amusing that the dad was into the hunt. It was just silly and unexpected enough. I also thought maybe it would turn out that he hadn't been hiding, he somehow fell, or a bookcase fell on him, or something like that, and they all thought he was being dopey when actually he was injured and needed them to find him because he couldn't move. I don't mind greased up shirtless Beck when he's playing Putin, but I thought this particular sketch would have been better to just stick with him having panicked and hidden, without the shirtlessness. That degree of awkward would have been enough.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, possibilities said:

First Impressions sketch: I really thought it was going to turn into a spoof of "Meet the Parents" and have DeNiro show up, but was kind of glad it wasn't. I kind of found it amusing that the dad was into the hunt. It was just silly and unexpected enough. I also thought maybe it would turn out that he hadn't been hiding, he somehow fell, or a bookcase fell on him, or something like that, and they all thought he was being dopey when actually he was injured and needed them to find him because he couldn't move. I don't mind greased up shirtless Beck when he's playing Putin, but I thought this particular sketch would have been better to just stick with him having panicked and hidden, without the shirtlessness. That degree of awkward would have been enough.

I somehow expected based on Jason's belly and beard and Beck's high-pitched hiding giggle that it was going to turn out that they were Santa and an elf respectively and that's why Jason was into the game of hide and seek.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I somehow expected based on Jason's belly and beard and Beck's high-pitched hiding giggle that it was going to turn out that they were Santa and an elf respectively and that's why Jason was into the game of hide and seek.

Now that I think about it, that sketch reminds me a bit of Lord Weyndemere, the Paul Brittain character who would giggle and like to be chased.

1 hour ago, TiredMe said:

Loved the Brienne of Tarth and Oberyn Martell bits of the Got skit.

I loved "Talking Dojo". That was hilarious.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Saturday night live has to be the most puzzling shows ever. Just the way it's viewed. 

How was this episode in any way enjoyable? It's was virtually unfunny and awkward from beginning to end.

I don't give a damn how enthusiastic a host is at this point. Is it funny? That's what I need. 

I'm glad Jason had a great time. And always seems like a great guy. But SNL can miss me with this lazy bullshit.

You do know humor is subjective, right? It’s fine that this episode didn’t work for your particular tastes, but it’s ridiculous to think that means it couldn’t have been enjoyable for others and to try to make it sound like folks are lazy or whatever else for liking what they do.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Xmas Carol was basically a vehicle for Jason to strip, so I chalk that one up to fanservice and let it go. He's not actually my cup of tea but I respect the point of view that says I'm missing out.

Yeah, I like Jason and I can certainly understand his appeal, but he's not my cup of tea.  

Although I have to add, I just saw some pictures of him when he was young on Baywatch, and he was a hottie, but he was clean shaven.  

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, hendersonrocks said:

You do know humor is subjective, right? It’s fine that this episode didn’t work for your particular tastes, but it’s ridiculous to think that means it couldn’t have been enjoyable for others and to try to make it sound like folks are lazy or whatever else for liking what they do.

What we find funny is so personal. Right after I posted earlier that I never find Aidy funny, I read an AV Club review (or Vulture?) saying her WU segment was incredibly adorable and funny. The thing is, watching the segment I thought "This is really cute. I can see why people would think this is funny." But thinking that and actually finding it funny are miles apart. I didn't crack a smile. You can't talk yourself into finding someone funny. 

On the other hand, Keenan can crack me up without saying a word. Why? I don't know! It's just something about him. 

What's worse than sharing something that made you cry with laughter with a friend, and they watch it with a completely straight face then say pityingly, "Hm. Cute." Embarrassing. 

So yup, humour is extremely subjective. 

• Love 8
15 hours ago, opus said:

I went to YouTube to check out “Aqua Boogie” (never heard of it), but it seems like it’s nine minutes long, so nah.

That's a real song? I've heard of Parliament-Funkadelic, but for some reason I thought the song was made up.

8 hours ago, nickp1991 said:

SNL needs to do more Them Trumps skits

I can see this as a continuing sketch, like The Californians.

5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

@vb68 Good call on Mikey Day.  I was going to post the same.  He was in almost every sketch. Although I did like him clarifying that he's asexual as the Sleigh Rider.

That was a nice little random bit.

I really appreciated Jason's energy, good spirit, and great acting, comedic and otherwise. The writing wasn't always the best, but he added a lot to the show.

I loved both Elf on the Shelf and Big Boy Appliances. In the first one, I cracked up every time Jason's elf said, "Can I have another kid?" His performance made the sketch work. And Big Boy Appliances was clever and funny.

I didn't care too much for the Cold Open, other than Eric calling Manafort Mr. Pillowfort and also defining indict. "There's no sugar indict Coke." 

For me, the best thing about Kal Drogo's Ghost Dojo was that name. I watch Game of Thrones, but this just didn't do much or have much of a point. And I wish someone other than Kate had played Joffrey. I think Mikey would have been better.

WU had good jokes. I didn't like Aidy's character. I didn't think she was funny, and I didn't think she embodied a 7th grader very well. I also didn't like Che coming around to the other chair to do the bidet segment. He could have just sat at his regular chair and talked about it.

A Christmas Carol went nowhere. The best thing was Kate as Tiny Tim.

Day of the Dorks was just ok. Jason was good.

The sleigh ride sketch was just ok as well, though I actually like the Gemma character. I enjoy Cecily's performance.

First Impressions had its moments. It was very very odd, which isn't a bad thing, and I liked when Jason's character was into finding him. I kinda wish, though, that he didn't have super strength powers.  

The Rudolph sketch was pretty good. I howled when Santa leaves and Pete says, "Well, well, well..." That was hilarious.

• Love 5

I love Jason Momoa and I thought he was a great, enthusiastic host, but this episode was hot garbage.

Eric in the race car bed in the Cold Open...didn't they do that with GWB when he was president or did I totally hallucinate that?

The monologue felt like they had three ideas that they just smashed together into one and, like, when has that ever worked?

Elf on the Shelf was the only sketch I genuinely liked/laughed at.

I didn't understand Them Trumps at all. Was "what if the Trumps were black?" the only joke?

I think I said this the last time Mumford & Sons were the musical guest, but what happened to them? They used to be so unique and now they're like every other mediocre/generic indie band out there. Yawn. Thank u, next.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, hendersonrocks said:

Yes, I do know humor is subject. No I dont need to be schooled on the subject.

My point is that with most things, I can get a handle with what the general consensus will be. Not everyone will agree of course but the general opinion seems obvious. With this show, it almost never makes any sense to me. I was gobsmacked by how shitty this episode was. I could see a few bright spots but that was it. The audience didn't even seem that into it. But, it gets praised by the majority it feels. There is always this major split with this show. This season has been general garbage but I could at see some episodes where I knew it would get a pass. Just didn't expect it from this one. Not to the degree it has. 

I genuinely like snl and defend it but it has been off it's game this season. This episode just felt like one of the worst examples of it.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

I think I said this the last time Mumford & Sons were the musical guest, but what happened to them? They used to be so unique and now they're like every other mediocre/generic indie band out there. Yawn. Thank u, next.

I’ve been seeing a lot of fans of their new work say that if we don’t like the new stuff, we just “miss the banjo” and should go seek out folk music as a genre instead of complaining, but I actually miss their rich harmonies and memorable hooks and melodies.  I thought their performances last night were good on an objective basis:  great energy, sounded good, etc., but musically, I agree with you that the songs just sounded so generic and forgettable.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Melina22 said:

What's worse than sharing something that made you cry with laughter with a friend, and they watch it with a completely straight face then say pityingly, "Hm. Cute." Embarrassing. 

So yup, humour is extremely subjective. 

I'll never forget this tableau -

Watching SNL with my brothers.  The Lonely Island's music video "Jizz in my Pants" came on.  My brothers DIED laughing.  I was just sitting there, with a puzzled look on my face thinking, you guys are so weird.

Then Kristen Wiig's first appearance of Virgania Horsen's Pony Express came on.  Remember?  "Mail me your mail, and I'll mail it for you."  LOL.  I'm laughing just thinking about it.  We switched places -  I was laughing so hard that I was crying, but my brothers were COMPLETELY confused.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

I realize Kenan’s had damn near 15 seasons to perfect his timing so he should be good at this, but I could not stop laughing when Beef said he couldn’t read because of dorks, and Kenan said “Really? You’ve been in college for 8 years! I think that’s on you.”

Mikey Day is the proof that being a strong writer is an asset when you’re first starting out on the show, and can make the difference in your first couple seasons. I think the reason he is such a strong anchor for a lot of the sketches is because he was a writer previously, and because he’s writing a lot of the sketches to begin with.  It’s also why Chris Redd is in a lot of sketches and shorts, even though he’s new. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Melina22 said:

On the other hand, Keenan can crack me up without saying a word. Why? I don't know! It's just something about him. 

LOL.  Yeah, he does not have to do much for me either.  Horatio Sanz was always like this for me too.  His face would break into a smile and that'd be it.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

What I liked about the sleigh ride was that Gemma was really genuinely a nice person, and not actually as self-absorbed or man-focused as you'd expect. She didn't enjoy her bf's recklessness, and she was genuinely friendly to the other couple and asked them about singing and joined in.

My favourite part was Gemma attempting to calculate what "today" meant when you may have crossed the international date line recently. That and the way Gemma and her boyfriend persisted in thinking that Leslie was Kenan's sister.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

GE Big Boy Appliances: I could see these things being made, if they haven't already. You could swear this was real had Jason Momoa not been in it. I just like the concept, advertising home appliances the same way one would market power tools. Man, you know GE wouldn't have signed off on being used here if they still owned NBC by how much they got dragged here.

Really! If I was GE or Sears I would jump on  this idea! The riding vacuum!

• Love 2