Type keyword(s) to search

Mom in the Media

Winter hiatus extended for Mom (no return date listed): https://tvline.com/2020/12/31/this-is-us-extended-hiatus-covid-surge-greys-anatomy/

According to cbs.com:  Jan 7 episode is "Wile E. Coyote and a Possessed Doll" (S07 E06).  Jan 14 episode is "Big Sad Eyes and an Antique Hot Dog" (S07 E20. Season 7's "finale"). Next new episode will be "Woo-Woo Lights and an Onside Kick" (date tba). 

Edited by illdoc
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:

Huh.

Just for the record, that huh is loaded with emotional baggage. I am sitting here stewing in a simmering sauce of betrayal, distraught that I wasted so many seasons admiring (jealously?, yes of course it was based on jealousy!) that head of hair. 

But now that you know it's a wig, you can go and buy that head of hair yourself. 😉

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I’m not surprised given that this is the second year of CBS’s most recent 2 year pickup and the end of Janney’s current contract. It was probably starting to get expensive. I did think the show chugged along nicely without Faris, but at the same time, I kind of missed her

• Love 9

I wonder if Janney informed them that she wouldn't sign a new contract.

43 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

I don’t understand why Faris didn’t just stay now...

I don't think we got the full story with Ana.  We might never get it.  Something personal or pandemic related made her decide not to return. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Avabelle said:

I’m fine with this. I think the quality this season was on par with the last year or two, but it’s not worth renegotiating contracts or incurring increased costs. Close it down, collect the residuals from syndication.

Hopefully the writers have known for a while so they can structure a series finale — maybe that’s what Adam’s RV is for? He hires a manager for the bar, and he and Bonnie ride into the sunset. Tammy takes over Bonnie’s job and apartment. Marjorie and WhatsHerName are settled and keep on keeping on. It’s Jill’s story that needs work for a happy ending. It can’t be a new relationship since those never last for her, and it’d be too convenient if Andy comes back for a happily ever after. Jill needs a mission in life, but when have her missions ever lasted past the initial honeymoon phase?

• Love 5

Honestly, I'm surprised. I thought the show had enough to keep going for at least another season, so I'm wondering who decided to make the call. Maybe everybody involved decided that doing another season without Christy wasn't worth it?

I just hope the show goes out properly. It at least deserves a one-hour finale like all the other Chuck Lorre shows. And I'm probably just setting myself up for disappointment here, but they should try and convince Anna Faris to come back for the last episode. The show was always about Christy and Bonnie, it should end with those two.

• Love 12

Sadly, (and somewhat surprisingly for me) it just wasn’t as funny without Anna. I know the show is called ‘Mom’ not ‘Christy’, but without her? The chemistry just doesn’t work and Allison just comes off like a bully. Not funny, so I kinda saw this coming. 
 I feel sorriest for Jill’s character, she just can’t catch a break.  I wanna see her happy. Whether that’s with a guy, with a kid, or with a kick-ass career, I wanna see her grow and mature and be more than she is right now. 

I don’t know...it’s just not ‘good-funny’ anymore, just same ole same ole funny and that’s just sad and tiring.  I’m over it. These days I only watch the syndicated episodes and not the new ones anyway.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

Honestly, I'm surprised. I thought the show had enough to keep going for at least another season, so I'm wondering who decided to make the call. Maybe everybody involved decided that doing another season without Christy wasn't worth it?

Like I suggested previously, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was mainly because of expenses. The two year renewal was up this season as was Janney’s latest contract

• Love 2

OK, what's going on internally with that show? Last year they renewed Faris and Janney for two more years, so they were clearly planning on going to at least nine seasons. Then Faris quits out of nowhere, but the ratings don't drop at all. Now they're ending it even though, minimum, there's a year left on Janney's contract? And if the actors are circulating a petition it's clear they want to keep it going. 

So what the hell is going on?

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Tetraneutron said:

Now they're ending it even though, minimum, there's a year left on Janney's contract?

There's not a year left on Janney's contract.  Both she and Ana signed two year contracts about a year and a half ago.  Ana quit after one year of that contract.  Janney's contract is going to be up at the end of this season. 

If they wanted to renew the show, they would have to re-sign her to a new contract and then, possibly, negotiate contracts for the rest of them.

• Love 2

I’ve read that the ratings did take a hit.  I have no idea how to link but Newsweek had an article that for CBS comedies it’s behind The Neighborhood and Bob hearts Abishola in ratings.  Last year it was just behind Young Sheldon.

3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

There's not a year left on Janney's contract.  Both she and Ana signed two year contracts about a year and a half ago.  Ana quit after one year of that contract.  Janney's contract is going to be up at the end of this season. 

If they wanted to renew the show, they would have to re-sign her to a new contract and then, possibly, negotiate contracts for the rest of them.

You're right. They signed two year contracts during the sixth season, not the 7th. It would have ended for both at the end of this year. https://deadline.com/2019/02/mom-renewed-season-7-8-anna-faris-allison-janney-new-deals-cbs-1202549041/ I still wonder why Anna Faris jumped ship with just one year left. I suppose we'll never find out. 

I just checked wiki, and the ratings did drop this year. They were in the 6-7 millions last year, and the 4-5 million this year. Maybe since they'd have to renew Allison Janney again this year, and since Chuck Lorre gives CBS a new show every year anyway, and it's not like they'd get any more from syndication, they decided not to bother. 

It's too bad. I don't watch a ton of TV but it's cool that there's a show all about middle-aged women. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
6 hours ago, ch1 said:

I’ve read that the ratings did take a hit.  I have no idea how to link but Newsweek had an article that for CBS comedies it’s behind The Neighborhood and Bob hearts Abishola in ratings.  Last year it was just behind Young Sheldon.

Everything is behind Young Sheldon! Mom is still ahead of B Positive (meh) which are both waaay ahead of The Unicorn (which is tanking and I can't stand anyway).

• Love 2
On 2/18/2021 at 10:36 PM, Callietwo said:

I may be fairly alone in this but I don't miss Christy at all, her character had become so one note.  

Tammy has become my favorite character on this show and really enjoy her & Adam's friendship a lot. 

They really wrote Christy as an idiot, the last season she was on. 

• Love 4
On 2/18/2021 at 12:50 PM, Mr. Meatball Man said:

I just hope the show goes out properly. It at least deserves a one-hour finale like all the other Chuck Lorre shows. And I'm probably just setting myself up for disappointment here, but they should try and convince Anna Faris to come back for the last episode. The show was always about Christy and Bonnie, it should end with those two.

I am hoping for at least a cameo from Anna. I would like if they could get as many as possible who played small roles over the years. Rosie O'Donnell, Justin Long, Baxter & Candice, Bradley Whitford and Nicole Sullivan. Just for the heck of it.

• Love 5
On 2/20/2021 at 1:51 PM, TVMovieBuff said:

I am hoping for at least a cameo from Anna. I would like if they could get as many as possible who played small roles over the years. Rosie O'Donnell, Justin Long, Baxter & Candice, Bradley Whitford and Nicole Sullivan. Just for the heck of it.

They should bring back as many people as they can. Make it a real celebration. Regina, Bonnie's brother Ray, Chef Rudy. Hell, bring back Roscoe and Violet (maybe not, but it's an idea). 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

They should bring back as many people as they can. Make it a real celebration. Regina, Bonnie's brother Ray, Chef Rudy. Hell, bring back Roscoe and Violet (maybe not, but it's an idea). 

How about Christy's half brothers too, I would have liked to have seen a little more of them over the past seasons.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

If Christy was doing the full-time program, this is her last year of law school, so if they wanted to/could get Ana back for the finale, a party celebrating Christy's graduation would be an easy, logical way not just to bring her back, but to incorporate appearances from other characters we haven't seen in a while.

• Love 4
On 2/18/2021 at 9:58 PM, hnygrl said:

I feel sorriest for Jill’s character, she just can’t catch a break.  I wanna see her happy. Whether that’s with a guy, with a kid, or with a kick-ass career, I wanna see her grow and mature and be more than she is right now. 

I feel sorriest for Wendy's character. Jill had multiple storylines that played over that multiple episodes or almost an entire seasons. Wendy maybe a got a subplot in a few episodes. Wendy was by far and away the most underdeveloped character on the show. That being said, I do want all of the characters to end the series happy with a positive future ahead of them. 

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I feel sorriest for Wendy's character. Jill had multiple storylines that played over that multiple episodes or almost an entire seasons. Wendy maybe a got a subplot in a few episodes. Wendy was by far and away the most underdeveloped character on the show. That being said, I do want all of the characters to end the series happy with a positive future ahead of them. 

Maybe they're intentionally saving her for a big twist at the end?  They're all characters in Wendy's snow globe?

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • LOL 7
37 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Maybe they're intentionally saving her for a big twist at the end?  They're all characters in Wendy's snow globe?

The story synopsis for the March 4th episode: “Bonnie and Adam’s romantic dinner is interrupted as the other ladies struggle with love on Valentine’s Day; Wendy’s new relationship becomes the talk of the group.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

The story synopsis for the March 4th episode: “Bonnie and Adam’s romantic dinner is interrupted as the other ladies struggle with love on Valentine’s Day; Wendy’s new relationship becomes the talk of the group.

Key words: “talk of the group”.  My money’s on Wendy not being a big part of the story. But I’m still thinking it’s a choice (making the Wendy character the way she is) and I’m still holding out hope for a payoff in the end. 

• Love 1

Is there any chance that the petition that Mimi and Allison are hyping could work or that the show could move to a different channel? I am assuming that it probably won't but I just figured I would ask. It would be one thing if everybody agreed that the show should end but I know at least Mimi and Allison wanna continue it. Not sure about Jaime, Beth, William and Kristen though.

• Love 2

I have really enjoyed this series and all the characters. I am sad to see it end as it is, to me, a show about dysfunctional relationships and the effort to help make these relationships healthy. 

In the last few years I felt that it really became an ensemble cast. I fully understand why Anna Faris chose to leave (she was no longer a “co-star” like she was at the beginning because the focus of the show definitely shifted away from Christy and Bonnie’s relationship and more towards a group focus). Also, she undoubtedly had other personal/professional reasons for wanting to leave.

I am sad to see it end because it is hard to find a show these days that is both funny and real and allows people to reveal the least acceptable parts of their pasts but are actually allowed to learn, grow and become wiser because of their mistakes, become a better human and at the end of the day, become a positive influence to those around them.

I think it is such an important message in these days, where just one social media post or “like” will haunt you for the rest of your life.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

When one leaves in the middle of a contract, as Anna did, are there monetary stipulations that Anna has to repay? One can’t just leave when they are under contract...

We don't know the specifics of the contract but I'm guessing she wouldn't owe any money but the Mom people could have prevented her from working on anything else for the duration remaining on her contract.

But most producers aren't going to do that if someone really wants to leave. 

26 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

We don't know the specifics of the contract but I'm guessing she wouldn't owe any money but the Mom people could have prevented her from working on anything else for the duration remaining on her contract.

But most producers aren't going to do that if someone really wants to leave. 

So that's why she hasn't been in anything since she left "Mom." 🤣

• LOL 2
On 2/23/2021 at 10:50 PM, Stats Queen said:

I have really enjoyed this series and all the characters. I am sad to see it end as it is, to me, a show about dysfunctional relationships and the effort to help make these relationships healthy. 

In the last few years I felt that it really became an ensemble cast. I fully understand why Anna Faris chose to leave (she was no longer a “co-star” like she was at the beginning because the focus of the show definitely shifted away from Christy and Bonnie’s relationship and more towards a group focus). Also, she undoubtedly had other personal/professional reasons for wanting to leave.

I am sad to see it end because it is hard to find a show these days that is both funny and real and allows people to reveal the least acceptable parts of their pasts but are actually allowed to learn, grow and become wiser because of their mistakes, become a better human and at the end of the day, become a positive influence to those around them.

I think it is such an important message in these days, where just one social media post or “like” will haunt you for the rest of your life.

I really felt that the show hit its stride the previous season and was perking along just great. I loved Christy's boss and Trevor, and all of the characters that were brought in for one or two episodes each season, but filled out the world created by this show. I was so looking forward to its return, and to maybe two more seasons of fun. I'm really miffed at Anna Faris. I have no idea why she chose to leave as she did and when she did, but I think it was a crap move on her part. Clearly everyone else is playing nice about it, but still. It truly threw the show for a loop, and now, because of her move and the pandemic, we're going to get a shortened season 8, and no season 9. Well phooey on that.  

There were so many more stories they could tell. I loved that they brought in Bonnie's long-lost foster "sister," Tammy and the relationship she has with the group and with Adam, and that Trevor has become a favorite. Bonnie's brother could come back, the grandkids could show up again, heck, there are lots and lots of storylines (Chef Rudy!) that they could follow. So sad. This is one of my favorite shows and now it's going away. Waaaaah!

Edited by cardigirl
  • Love 7

This may have been the last season, anyway; the show had only been given a two-year renewal and both Faris and Janney's contracts would have been up then, too, so depending on what season nine would have cost and how ratings for season eight with the core cast intact would have gone, it's possible the network still could have decided the ratings didn't justify the expense. 

But I do think, unless there's something she hasn't shared (which is absolutely her right) about why she wanted to leave a year early, Faris should have stuck it out.  She and Janney both took a long time negotiating those two-year contracts, so to turn around and decide she only wanted to do one left the show in the lurch.  Better if she'd said, "I am definitely not coming back once my contract is up," and then everyone would have had plenty of time to wrap up Christy's story, or even wrap up the whole show if it was still decided season 8 would be everyone's last.

They didn't sue her for breach of contract, so they obviously reached an agreement (which was probably just a standard non-compete clause; I think anything else would have leaked), and hopefully her decision didn't cause any hard feelings among the cast, since it seems they'd all developed a nice relationship over the years.  And if there is something going on in her life that forced this decision, I hope things work out okay.

I'll miss the show, but it's had a really good run, so I just hope we get a good finale to go out on.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I’m still enjoying the show and I am not happy it got cancelled.  Wish they would have given it one more season without AF/Christy I think they would be even better.  Honestly, at this point I don’t even miss the Christy character.  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Amazee-Dayzee said:

So no chance of Mimi and Allison's petition they are advertising working then?

The petition is on change.org.  I signed it.  Looking to save the show on CBS or have another platform pick it up and continue.

I am ready to let it go. The old days when Bonnie was a holy mess were the best, so much material to mine laughs from, and the "laughter through tears" that this show does better than any other, ever. 

Allison is so good in everything she does, that she will give us something new to watch.

It just sucks because we won't get the following:

1. Wendy episode. She deserves at least one full episode about her. We've had Tammy stories, Jill stories even Marjorie stories but no full Wendy story.

2. Closure on Ray, Rocco and even Violet. I was hoping Violet would have forgiven Christy as much as Christy has forgiven Bonnie.

3. Jill getting a baby I would love it if Jill had a one night stand and got pregnant or if someone left a baby on her doorstep.  They invested so much in this storyline and now it's basically dropped.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, greekmom said:

It just sucks because we won't get the following:

1. Wendy episode. She deserves at least one full episode about her. We've had Tammy stories, Jill stories even Marjorie stories but no full Wendy story.

2. Closure on Ray, Rocco and even Violet. I was hoping Violet would have forgiven Christy as much as Christy has forgiven Bonnie.

3. Jill getting a baby I would love it if Jill had a one night stand and got pregnant or if someone left a baby on her doorstep.  They invested so much in this storyline and now it's basically dropped.

Oh no did I miss something? Did it get canceled before they got a chance to write the final episode(s)?

9 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh no did I miss something? Did it get canceled before they got a chance to write the final episode(s)?

Not sure but I don't think they will be able to fit that all in.

On 3/2/2021 at 10:41 PM, SoMuchTV said:

No need to be rude when the poster was just saying that is what they wanted to happen but it probably wouldn't...