Type keyword(s) to search

Mom in the Media

The show was one of seven honored at the "Television Academy Honors" event this weekend.  Highlight: Chuck Lorre claimed this show is his way of apologizing for Two and a Half Men.

I really do think "Mom" is better than it looks at first glance. I have quite a bit of respect for what it's doing, and am glad it got some recognition.

http://variety.com/2014/scene/news/mom-the-fosters-television-academy-honors-for-social-impact-1201206977/

• Love 1

great another show I won't be able to watch because I will always be mad at the star. I hate people who want dogs as an accessory and think of them as property they can throw out or give away when they are bored with that toy.  YOu return the animal to the shelter and admit  the bad publicity. This always makes me think of Ellen and how she trashed the shelter woman  - non-TV personality on her show twice with photos of her and nasty comments. If you break the rules, you break the rules, stop blaming the people who wrote the rules, you didn't have to sign the contract. sheesh. 

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:29 AM, Tosia said:

I heard Allison Janney was awesome as Tonya Harding's mom in I, Tonya.  Not my kind of film cuz I remember the debacle, but i would watch it on demand for Allison. 

I will only say that I have always been very much Team Tonya, and I don't want to debate any further, but she was so "real" as LaVona (and the real LaVona isn't far from the character Janney portrayed) that my husband (also Team Tonya), who was also severely abused by his mother, was so shaken that he flinched every time she hit Tonya, or screamed at her.  He was wiping away tears at one point.

• Love 3
On 7/13/2018 at 10:15 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Not a fan of AF myself.  I feel like she overacts just about everything.  

Just another opinion. (-;

I agree. I never had much of an opinion on her until this show.  I think she sucks to be honest.  She's ok in the comedy stuff but anything else and she's terrible. Especially when she's trying to play mad, she looks like a little kid play acting.  She also needs to lose that 10 year old's hairdo. Haas she had work done?  She's so strange looking to me. 

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

I agree. I never had much of an opinion on her until this show.  I think she sucks to be honest.  She's ok in the comedy stuff but anything else and she's terrible. Especially when she's trying to play mad, she looks like a little kid play acting.  She also needs to lose that 10 year old's hairdo. Haas she had work done?  She's so strange looking to me. 

Absolutely right.

The only thing that I notice, is it looks like her lips/mouth have been...zhuzhed.

• Love 1
On 7/19/2018 at 6:06 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I agree about the overacting. But I still enjoy her in the show. I also agree about the 10 year old's hairdo needing to go. But more than anything, most of the time, her eyebrows are too dark for that bleach blonde hair. I think many women look great with that color of hair, but if you go much lighter on your haircolor, you need to also lighten your eyebrows. That's just a silly pet peeve of mine. Her's are not as dark as a lot of women but in some instances they are.

• Love 2

‘Mom’: Season 7 Hinges On New Deals With Stars Anna Faris & Allison Janney As Duo Seeks Salary Increases

Faris and Janney are believed to be currently making under $200,000 an episode each. That is well below the $1 million an episode the five main stars of Big Bang were getting by Season 8. Big Bang is one of those singular giant hits that are in a league of their own. But Mom has been a strong performer for CBS and WBTV. In addition to its solid ratings on the network, Mom, which crossed the 100 episode mark last season, has been sold to TV Land and CMT in off-network syndication and to the Tribune stations in broadcast syndication.

The Mom negotiation may get extra scrutiny in light of the ongoing drive for gender equality as it is a rare comedy with female leads. Both Faris and Janney are accomplished. Mom was the first TV series for Farris who had built a formidable feature career before she was approached to do the comedy, bought by CBS with her on board. Meanwhile, Janney, one of the most heralded TV actress working today who has won seven Emmys, including two for Mom, is coming off an Oscar win for I, Tonya earlier this year.

• Love 3

Great news. I couldn’t imagine it getting cancel since CBS is already losing Big Bang Theory. Hopefully the cast was able to use that to their advantage and negotiate for more money. 

4 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Yay! I read the other day that a renewal was not a safe bet due to contract wranglings - glad to see that got sorted out (or was not even true to begin with).

There were contract negotiations with Anna Faris and Alison Janney. There was a CBS press release that mentions the new contracts:

CBS announced today that it has renewed the critically acclaimed, top-rated comedy series MOM for two more seasons, and series stars Anna Faris and Academy and Emmy Award winner Allison Janney have reached new agreements with Warner Bros. Television to return for both years.

• Love 2
On 7/17/2019 at 10:50 PM, kariyaki said:

Yep. Not surprised at all.

Not surprised, but very happy, I love Tammy! 

I loved her from the beginning, and I still do even though they have toned her down some...just don't do anymore toning, she's good, lol!

• Love 6

Happy Tammy will be a regular, Kristen Johnston seems to fit in well with the others. I want Nicole Sullivan as LeeAnn to be a regular. They could make it work despite the history of LeeAnn with Adam. 

Characters I want to see more of/again. Steve, Baxter, Candace.

Don't need to see again: Violet, Roscoe. 

Fringe character I like best: Beverly Tarantino. 

My wish for the final season (I hope it doesn't come anytime soon) : Christy marries Adam, the character from season one played by Justin Long. They have chemistry and Christy has come a long way. Would be cute if both Bonnie & Christy are married to Adams.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, TVMovieBuff said:

Would be cute if both Bonnie & Christy are married to Adams.

Hijinx ensue! 

I always forget Christy dated an Adam so when I first read that Christy should marry Adam I was all "well, that would be quite a twist!" haha, but I do agree. Of the guys Christy has dated Adam was a clear winner. 

If I never see Christy's kids again it will be too soon. lol I am fine with the show pretending they never even existed. Though I did really like the eps dealing with Violet giving up her baby. I thought those were always very well done and the only time I found any use for Violet. 

• Love 5

I'm one of the people who DON'T want the show to forget about the children Christy has and I hope that eventually we do see them again even if it is in the final season. I would like to see Violet decide to try giving a relationship with Christy a try and to see how Roscoe is doing. Or even if they just MENTION them so it isn't like they vanished into the ether I will be fine.

• Love 6

The show doesn't try to pretend Christy's kids never existed. It is just that dramatically, there is no need to mention them. I assume Roscoe is living happily with Baxter & Candace, visits with her regularly (not in episodes though) and that Violet is living on her own and still mad at Christy. 

The kid who played Roscoe probably towers over Christy, and wouldn't be cute anymore. So for the flow of an episode, there is no point in mentioning them if it doesn't relate to a storyline.  Roscoe would be about 18 by now anyway. 

I would also like to see Regina again, but that won't happen. Octavia Spencer is a very busy actress at her peak.

I apologize if this has been brought up before...I can't understand why they keep bringing on new characters (either permanent or guest stars), without at least throwing the Wendy character a bone.  Other than the time that Christy went to Wendy and roommates' house when she was considering moving in, have we ever had a scene that was remotely about Wendy?  I don't think we have.  I don't get it.

• Love 11