Type keyword(s) to search

Mom in the Media

Seems rather clear to me.  The actress is not very strong and the producers/writers do not feel she is capable of carrying an episode/storyline. While that may or may not be true, most actors would be thrilled to cash a weekly paycheck from a long-running network show.  Given the huge raises that the two leads earned in the last renewal, it's actually surprising they didn't cut some costs.  

Edited by SanDiegoInExile

Except that whenever they give her something, she nails it, IMO.  And it's not as if this show is hesitant about getting rid of things it doesn't feel work. Or even things that do in order to move a story.  Both of the kids are gone as is, for the most part, Christy's work place which was a bigger part of earlier seasons.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
19 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

The actress is not very strong

I can only assume you've never seen Beth Hall in anything else. She's *brilliant*. Her best-known turn is as Caroline, Roger Sterling's secretary in MAD MEN. Barely recognizable from that as Wendy. It's completely inexplicable why they don't give her a story on MOM.

• Useful 3
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, wendyg said:

I can only assume you've never seen Beth Hall in anything else. She's *brilliant*. Her best-known turn is as Caroline, Roger Sterling's secretary in MAD MEN. Barely recognizable from that as Wendy. It's completely inexplicable why they don't give her a story on MOM.

I can't believe I didn't make the connection that Beth Hall was on Mad Men!!!  Maybe that's because I don't watch Mad Men reruns.

As for strong actresses, if that were the criteria for story lines on this show, we'd never see Christy again.  Ever.

*I just read that Beth Hall is 61.  She looks great!  I would have guessed early 50's or late 40's.

Edited by CouchTater
  • Love 2

At this point I assume it's a deliberate choice by the show to leave Wendy with a largely unknown backstory so they can slot her in wherever they need to.  In the Christmas episode this past season, Christy was trying to find out something about her for a Secret Santa gift and tracked down New Jersey cousins on Facebook she joked were obviously mobbed up, resulting in a nurse cookie jar with homemade cookies her grandma used to make.  Wendy laughed it off in the front of the group as oh, she'd found the wrong Wendy Harris but then later told Christy don't ever talk about her family ever again.  That episode started out with Christy lamenting that nobody knows anything about Wendy, so we know the show is aware of it.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

At this point I assume it's a deliberate choice by the show to leave Wendy with a largely unknown backstory so they can slot her in wherever they need to.  In the Christmas episode this past season, Christy was trying to find out something about her for a Secret Santa gift and tracked down New Jersey cousins on Facebook she joked were obviously mobbed up, resulting in a nurse cookie jar with homemade cookies her grandma used to make.  Wendy laughed it off in the front of the group as oh, she'd found the wrong Wendy Harris but then later told Christy don't ever talk about her family ever again.  That episode started out with Christy lamenting that nobody knows anything about Wendy, so we know the show is aware of it.

Agreed.  I think it's a "thing" the show does, to keep her mysterious, and her character flexible.

• Love 3

I think Beth Hall nails every scene she's in and she's also amazing when it comes to physical comedy. Also: I had not realized she's 61 - color me impressed. I wish we could see more of Wendy but I can also appreciate how they manage to pull off the occasional surprising background info (she does not dream, she's a MENSA member and of course the mob family). If we knew more about her those moments would lose impact. I agree it has become a bit of running gag by now. And I just saw a clip on youtube with her where she mentions that 'Weeping Wendy' had been offered to her as a one line character - now she's a regular, so they do appreciate her.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 10

Hadn't she already signed on to do an 8th season?

And my biggest issue with this isn't so much that she's leaving.  Christy has been somewhat of a mess for a while now and the writers couldn't quite figure out what to do with her but rather that it sounds like she'll just be gone when the new season starts.

So no "goodbye" episode where she gets a good opportunity.  Or goes to live with a now-divorced Patrick?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Well I’m bummed but the writing for her was really bad last season.  It seems the writers only want to explore Bonnie so I can see why she would want to move on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

The move is surprising. Both Faris and Janney are in the middle of two-year contracts they signed in spring 2019 after lengthy negotiations. Their new deals secured a two-year renewal for the Chuck Lorre comedy through Season 8.

Robert Voets/2020 Warner Bros. Entertainment

I hear Faris’ exit was finalized early into the show’s hiatus, and the writers have been writing the new season without her character, Christy. Her absence will be addressed in the upcoming season, which is slated to start production Sept. 14 in Los Angeles.

“The past seven years on Mom have been some of the most fulfilling and rewarding of my career,” Farris said. “I’m so thankful to Chuck, the writers, and my amazing castmates for creating a truly wonderful work experience. While my journey as Christy has come to an end, allowing me to pursue new opportunities, I’ll be watching next season and rooting for my TV family

110064_WB_0108b-H-2020-1599237202-928x523.jpg

• Love 3

What the hell? I am so sad! I love Christy! It will really be the Bonnie show now. This also dramatically reduces the chances of the show being renewed for a 9th season, which is a shame. I wonder what kind of opportunity Anna had to leave Mom.

• Love 7

So it's a show called Mom, where none of the remaining characters are in any parenting relationship at all?  Okay.

It's felt like the writers haven't known what to do with the character for awhile now as she's been longterm sober and trying to move forward with her life plans and the cast has kept expanding. The role of straight man can be kind of limiting, but they've been much more interested in every other character's continuing quirks.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

This is so weird. I don't blame her, but at this point it's definitely unexpected. I like Anna Faris but I agree that I'm surprised she'd give up this paycheck, even if she didn't love what the character was doing (which is only just a guess on why she's leaving). Admittedly, there could be many other totally reasonable factors, but she's not really blowing up in the movies or anything (not that there are any movies at the moment. But still.). I didn't love what they did with her character BUT I do find her and Bonnie to be the heart of the show and Anna's quips are usually pretty good and I liked her working towards becoming a lawyer, though it is definitely a different show than it was in the beginning. Well. We'll see what happens!

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I'm not all that surprised, because Christy was given so little to do in the past few seasons. Bonnie and Tammy seem to be the leads, so I think the show will go on fine without her.

Maybe they'll explain her absence by saying that she ran off with that woman?

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, BookThief said:

BUT I do find her and Bonnie to be the heart of the show and Anna's quips are usually pretty good and I liked her working towards becoming a lawyer, though it is definitely a different show than it was in the beginning. Well. We'll see what happens!

Seriously though one of the biggest overarching themes of the show was Christy bettering herself and slowly working towards becoming a lawyer. Her finally making it would have been the perfect finale. Bonnie's story is kind of all tied up already she is married she has a job, there aren't any major issues for her to work on. It will be interesting to see where the show goes from here and which secondary character is going to get more screen time now that it's available.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Seriously though one of the biggest overarching themes of the show was Christy bettering herself and slowly working towards becoming a lawyer. Her finally making it would have been the perfect finale. Bonnie's story is kind of all tied up already she is married she has a job, there aren't any major issues for her to work on. It will be interesting to see where the show goes from here and which secondary character is going to get more screen time now that it's available.

I would say Kristen Johnson is going to get more screen time.  I would put money on it becoming even more the Bonnie/Tammy show.

I have to say the terrible writing showed how they lost interest in the character but it is bullshit that they can’t be bothered to write a decent exit story.  I find it hard to believe AF wouldn’t come back if the writers created something decent.  It is insulting that Christy not being there is just going to get a mention.  AF is a big reason why this show was successful.

• Love 12

This doesn't totally surprise me. When they put out that weird statement a few months ago saying that everything was on hold and filming might not start again until next year, it kind of put me on notice that maybe something was brewing behind the scenes at this show. No other show I watch issued a statement like that. It will be strange not having Christy around, even if the writers didn't seem to know what to do with her character much of the time. I like how she tempers Bonnie, I'm not sure how well things are going to go in that apartment without her. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I wouldn’t worry about Anna Faris’ income. Syndication $ will last a long time.

I was about to say that. Mom is running pretty successfully in syndication, Faris could not book any jobs ever again in her career and she’ll probably still be fine. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

So it's a show called Mom, where none of the remaining characters are in any parenting relationship at all?  Okay.

Jill has wanted to be a mom for a while, so maybe the show will finally give her a child. 

I do wonder why Anna Faris left so abruptly in the middle of her contract. If anything, I would have expected Allison Janney to leave early since she's had so much success (like the Oscar nomination) in recent years.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
46 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

That's been the case for a few years, though, hasn't it? (At least, in terms of what the audience sees.)

I have a feeling that Tammy is going to move in with Bonnie now. They were basically co-leads last season, so I don't think that much will even change.

My biggest question is whether they'll say that Christy transferred law schools, or that she ran off with that woman.

I wouldn't be surprised if Anna Faris has a secret reason for dropping out - like concerns about coronavirus, or a new project that hasn't been announced yet. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I just heard the news. I hope they don't kill her off in a relapse or anything and at least give her a decent send off.

Would they bring back her daughter part time as a new sober trying to get my life back?  And more screen time for Tammy and Bonnie?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Anna Faris did a fine job as Christy, and I loved how she wasn't this perfect little angel. I have been disappointed with her lack of plot arcs, though. I love Allison Janney, but I feel like Bonnie was getting all the story lines.

I think the show will do just fine - the show is as much about the supporting characters as Bonnie and Christy, but I sure will miss Anna.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

I have to say the terrible writing showed how they lost interest in the character but it is bullshit that they can’t be bothered to write a decent exit story.  I find it hard to believe AF wouldn’t come back if the writers created something decent.  It is insulting that Christy not being there is just going to get a mention.  AF is a big reason why this show was successful.

I originally reported on Anna leaving on this board.  It was taken down.  Sorry that I did not post it correctly

AF brought this spunk to the show.  At the beginning the emphasis was on a strong daughter with a childish, immature Mom who comes to live with her after Christy's divorce.  Those initial 13 episodes are classics.  AF really embraced the character and you really felt for her plight.

Having Janney as a co star, I soon knew that the show would evolve and it would evolve first in a strong willed mother and daughter dialogue which I enjoyed,.  The Christy character is flawed but that's what I loved about her.  But Lorrie expanded the cast and plot and trimmed the family back and the show took on a different look.  The AA meetings dominated and laughter ensued.

110064_WB_0108b-H-2020-1599237202-928x523.jpg

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I do wonder why Anna Faris left so abruptly in the middle of her contract.

I think this was the end of the contract. Typically, the actors are signed to a seven year contract when a show starts, so this was probably just about Faris not re-upping. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, fuzzyreception said:

I originally reported on Anna leaving on this board.  It was taken down.  Sorry that I did not post it correctly

AF brought this spunk to the show.  At the beginning the emphasis was on a strong daughter with a childish, immature Mom who comes to live with her after Christy's divorce.  Those initial 13 episodes are classics.  AF really embraced the character and you really felt for her plight.

Having Janney as a co star, I soon knew that the show would evolve and it would evolve first in a strong willed mother and daughter dialogue which I enjoyed,.  The Christy character is flawed but that's what I loved about her.  But Lorrie expanded the cast and plot and trimmed the family back and the show took on a different look.  The AA meetings dominated and laughter ensued.

Do you have any  theories about how the show will continue from here on?

Edited by Harvey
  • Useful 1
38 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

This doesn't totally surprise me. When they put out that weird statement a few months ago saying that everything was on hold and filming might not start again until next year, it kind of put me on notice that maybe something was brewing behind the scenes at this show. No other show I watch issued a statement like that. 

That wasn’t an official statement. I think it came from one of those sites that track information about shows. The reports say that she made they decision just after they stopped filming for COVID. 

Just now, kariyaki said:

I think this was the end of the contract. Typically, the actors are signed to a seven year contract when a show starts, so this was probably just about Faris not re-upping. 

Her original contract was up after 6 seasons. She and Janney agreed to seasons 7 and 8 after long negotiations. 

29 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I do wonder why Anna Faris left so abruptly in the middle of her contract. If anything, I would have expected Allison Janney to leave early since she's had so much success (like the Oscar nomination) in recent years.

I‘m not really surprised because the COVID delays would have extended her commitment indefinitely. If she had something lined up for 2021 there could have been a conflict. 

Meh. She was always my least favorite part of the show.  Give me more Bonnie, Jill, Tammy, Marjorie and Wendy (!!) and I'm good. And, yes, I don't care that Bonnie is the lead, I watched this show for Allison Janney and she remains the biggest draw for me. I became a fan when she took a background, one-line character on Guiding Light years ago and turned her into a recurring comic relief one. I've followed her since then. I love her interaction with all of the other ladies, and how Christy treated her was my least favorite. So, AF's departure will actually make my enjoyment of the show greater.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, driver18 said:

I watched this show for Allison Janney and she remains the biggest draw for me. I became a fan when she took a background, one-line character on Guiding Light years ago and turned her into a recurring comic relief one.

I loved Ginger!  Ginger and Donna together, but especially Ginger.

Anyway, after Wendy, Christy is the character I would miss least, but this is still going to be a significant change to the ensemble.  I think the remaining group will work fine without her, but I wish she'd stuck out her contract and said season eight would be her last, so they could write to her exit all along; this way, I worry what sort of explanation they're going to write for Christy no longer being there. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

My biggest question is whether they'll say that Christy transferred law schools, or that she ran off with that woman.

Isn't she due to graduate? She may find out she has something unethical in her past that won't allow her to take the CA bar exam, so she decides to either pursue her law career in another state or simply goes off to lick her wounds somewhere else. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Dani said:

I‘m not really surprised because the COVID delays would have extended her commitment indefinitely. If she had something lined up for 2021 there could have been a conflict. 

Sure but that could have been resolved by either shortening the season, which I think will happen with quite a few series.  Or having her return to do a few episodes and write her out. 

57 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I loved Ginger!  Ginger and Donna together, but especially Ginger.

Me too! 

23 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Christy finished her second year of law school at the end of the last season. I'm not sure if she's going full-time or part-time, but either way she wouldn't have graduated yet.

They don't really need to "real time" this show; they could jump ahead a year and tell pretty much the same stories they were telling when they left.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

No Christy is a loss at least for me because I love the group as it is now.  Maybe after this coming season they should just do a spinoff and rename the show something more fitting since Mom does not really work anymore.  That cast of ladies has a ton of chemistry and I think they can certainty survive without the Christy character.  More stories about Adam’s bar, expand  on Jill and Andy etc.  I love this show and don’t want to see it end.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

I just hope they don't bring Violet back to fill in as Bonnie's "daughter" role. I can't stand Violet.

I’m worried they’ll bring back Kate Micucci’s character. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if they intended to do that even before Anna decided to leave. 

I would actually like Violet having a bigger role if they actually address the adoption story again. I’ve always thought it was a waste that they let that story drop when it was supposed to be an open adoption. 

4 minutes ago, Dani said:

I’m worried they’ll bring back Kate Micucci’s character

Please NO!  I would have to stop watching.  Guess we are lucky to get an explanation of her absence, this show has a habit of just dropping characters with no explanation.  Regina, Bonnie’s brother, Roscoe for the most part, just a casual mention of him living with Baxter I think.  Hope Rainn Wilson is back for another season.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, ch1 said:

It is insulting that Christy not being there is just going to get a mention. 

It does remain to be seen what they will do.  They could do a two-sentence comment. 

Or they could make it an ongoing part of the show.  Especially if she fell off the wagon and abandoned her friends. 

They may have her off-screen at a better law school or in some happy relationship with Adam's brother, the horny retreat lady, her ex-, or her demanding boss.  Or reunited with her daughter. 

The producers could be miffed and kill her off, a la Two-and-a-Half-Men.

Regardless, it seems that this will be the final season.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

It does remain to be seen what they will do.  They could do a two-sentence comment. 

Or they could make it an ongoing part of the show.  Especially if she fell off the wagon and abandoned her friends. 

They may have her off-screen at a better law school or in some happy relationship with Adam's brother, the horny retreat lady, her ex-, or her demanding boss.  Or reunited with her daughter. 

I wonder how much they were able to film of the last two episodes of Season 7. The seasons usually end with a very Christy centric plot so try might be able to use that to give her story a conclusion. 

In other news Kristen Johnston confirmed on Twitter that they start filming again next week.