Type keyword(s) to search

Mom in the Media

1 hour ago, Amazee-Dayzee said:

No need to be rude when the poster was just saying that is what they wanted to happen but it probably wouldn't...

Oh my!  I absolutely didn't intend that as rude.  I was genuinely asking.  Some shows know ahead of time that they're ending and are able to wrap things up, and some get cancelled at a point where they can't, and things are left hanging.  The timing on this one wasn't clear to me.  Maybe someone else can answer my question.

• Love 11

Regarding how many episodes are left — Amazee-Dayzee had mentioned in the Eel/Cantaloupe thread about a shortened season. (and maybe she has a verified source) but I’ve been looking around. There’s info on Wikipedia that shows a shorter, 18 episode season. Which makes sense when you run the calendar. Many outlets have reported the finale will be May 6th, which is 9 weeks away. There have been 10 episodes so far. If they show a new episode every week for the next 9 weeks and two episodes on the finale, we’d get 20 episodes...which won’t happen. My guess: it’ll be 18 episodes, and the next 9 weeks will break down as 6 weeks with new episodes, two weeks with repeats, and one week (May 6th) with two new episodes.

still lots of time for them to shake-up the stories. Maybe the Valentine’s Day episode was supposed to be a last hoorah for the group?

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Kiddvideo said:

Regarding how many episodes are left — Amazee-Dayzee had mentioned in the Eel/Cantaloupe thread about a shortened season. (and maybe she has a verified source) but I’ve been looking around. There’s info on Wikipedia that shows a shorter, 18 episode season. Which makes sense when you run the calendar. Many outlets have reported the finale will be May 6th, which is 9 weeks away. There have been 10 episodes so far. If they show a new episode every week for the next 9 weeks and two episodes on the finale, we’d get 20 episodes...which won’t happen. My guess: it’ll be 18 episodes, and the next 9 weeks will break down as 6 weeks with new episodes, two weeks with repeats, and one week (May 6th) with two new episodes.

still lots of time for them to shake-up the stories. Maybe the Valentine’s Day episode was supposed to be a last hoorah for the group?

So do we know that they hadn’t finished filming yet when the cancellation was announced? That was what I was trying to ask earlier. Or is everyone just speculating?

5 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

So do we know that they hadn’t finished filming yet when the cancellation was announced? That was what I was trying to ask earlier. Or is everyone just speculating?

The first media mention I saw of the cancellation is February 17, 2021. There’s been no media I can find about the last episode being filmed already, but who knows when they knew internally — and how much time the writers have had to craft the final story. Sorry!

• Useful 1

If it were a normal year, which it is not, I'd expect them to wrap sometime near end March or early April. So usually getting cancelled in Feb leaves time to wrap things up. But this is not a normal year, and if the order were already shorter than usual, it's possible they were done. Very very difficult to say with all the COVID protocols for shooting whether that might've made everything take longer anyway or not.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

The first media mention I saw of the cancellation is February 17, 2021. There’s been no media I can find about the last episode being filmed already, but who knows when they knew internally — and how much time the writers have had to craft the final story. Sorry!

The first day of filming for Season 8 was on Sept. 14, 2020 and the episode aired on November 5, 2020. So that is roughly 3 weeks to air. If they were cancelled around February 17, 2021 they could start course correcting as early as March 10, 2021. This would be episode 11 (the one that will be airing next, let's see if their attitudes have changed any) and I think there are 18 episodes total.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

People keep using the term "cancelled", which is a term I understand to be used when a show does not have high enough ratings and a network decides to cancel it.  Does anyone have any article to link to about this or anything?

This article makes it seem like it has high ratings, and that the showrunners are choosing to end it instead, which is not what I understand a cancellation to be.  Although, the article's link has the word "canceled" in it.  (But not the article, nor the headline).  

https://deadline.com/2021/02/mom-canceled-end-season-8-cbs-series-finale-1234695849/

Eight seasons in, Mom remains a solid ratings performer and an anchor of CBS’ Thursday comedy block. Currently Mom is CBS’ No. 4 comedy behind The Neighborhood and Lorre’s Young Sheldon and Bob Hearts Abishola.

Mom also has been a solid asset for Warner Bros Television with off-network and streaming deals.

Maybe they just didn't want to continue paying Allison and deal with her renegotiating a higher contract?

This is the last season of Mom’s two-year pickup the Chuck Lorre-produced multi-camera comedy received in 2019. Also coming up at the end of this season was the current contract for star Allison Janney, who became the series’ sole lead after the exit of Anna Faris last summer.

Reading back a page seems to confirm this.  To me this sounds like the showrunners' choice, not the network's.  Just my guess.  So the show was not "cancelled", like "Seinfeld" wasn't cancelled.   Maybe people just use the term as a catchall for any time a show ends, but I was pretty curious how and why it ended.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This article makes it seem like it has high ratings

It has  decent ratings but it's twice as old as Young Sheldon, the second oldest sitcom on the network. With contracts set to end, it could be more expensive to produce next season.

But more importantly, CBS doesn't own the show.  All the international distribution, streaming and syndication money doesn't go to them.  It goes to Warner Brothers. 

10 hours ago, possibilities said:

Either way, there won't be more episodes. Whether that's a cancellation or some other term for ending, it's the same outcome for the viewership.

True, but it does matter as far as whether they were able to write to a satisfying ending. 

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

True, but it does matter as far as whether they were able to write to a satisfying ending. 

Yes, among other things.  For example, it also matters to me for my personal curiosity 😄  Usually shows aren't cancelled after 8 whole successful seasons!  It's interesting to me as someone interested in television and all that is involved with it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Amazee-Dayzee said:

I just assumed that it was cancelled because Mimi and Alison are circulating a petition to get a new season.

Thank you I just signed it.

It has 44,390 supporters have signed this petition  out of their desired 50,000.  Alison's message about the petition

On February 17, 2021 it was announced that CBS will end their longest-running sitcom MOM - despite the fact that the show remains a solid weekly ratings performer that had recently garnered three 2021 Critics' Choice Award nominations.

We are petitioning CBS/Warner Brothers to reconsider this decision and take into account the deep impact and vital importance of the stories that will no longer be told on television if this series is canceled. In the alternative, we are also petitioning other networks or streaming services to consider picking up this show for a continuation of the series.

Feb 26

#CBSRatingsNews: #YoungSheldon (night's most watched show) and #BPositive hit season viewer highs, while #Mom and #Clarice won their time periods and helped #CBS take another Thursday.

March 5

#CBSRatingsNews: #YoungSheldon, #Mom and #Clarice all took their respective time periods in viewers and key metrics, driving #CBS to a Thursday win.

https://popculture.com/tv-shows/news/mom-canceled-allison-janney-shares-petition-to-save-cbs-sitcom/

If all of this is because they simply don't want to give Alison Janney the higher paying contract she deserves, then that's so petty and stupid.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

About a satisfying ending, I don't think it'd necessarily be tough to write a satisfying ending.  A satisfying ending, for me, could be just a regular episode.  This is the kind of show where "the work to stay sober continues" feels right. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

About a satisfying ending, I don't think it'd necessarily be tough to write a satisfying ending.  A satisfying ending, for me, could be just a regular episode.  This is the kind of show where "the work to stay sober continues" feels right. 

Christie needs to fix her relationship with Violet once and for all in the finale. It was the central conflict of the show in the first 3 seasons.

2 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Christie needs to fix her relationship with Violet once and for all in the finale. It was the central conflict of the show in the first 3 seasons.

I don’t see that happening as neither of the actresses are on the show anymore.

• Love 4

That doesn't mean they won't be back.  I could see them having Violet become an alcoholic and Bonnie & Christy (or the group) take her in but I hope they don't do a full circle thing. 

On 3/6/2021 at 4:42 PM, AnimeMania said:

The first day of filming for Season 8 was on Sept. 14, 2020 and the episode aired on November 5, 2020. So that is roughly 3 weeks to air. 

That's a seven week lag, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean?

(edited)
55 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

That's a seven week lag, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean?

You are right. That is why you always show your work.

Edited by AnimeMania
On 3/7/2021 at 5:25 PM, Harvey said:

Heavens no, I hope we don't see either of them.  Not needed at all.  I'd even be okay if we didn't even reference them.  Particularly Violet. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Callietwo said:

Heavens no, I hope we don't see either of them.  Not needed at all.  I'd even be okay if we didn't even reference them.  Particularly Violet. 

Your mouth to god’s ear.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I wasn’t a fan of Violet (never understood her hatred of her mother but being ok with Bonnie) but it does suck that now there is zero chance of any kind of forgiveness - which I don’t think would have happened even if Faris stayed.  The writers seemed to have done away with Christy actually being a mom.

• Love 5

From today's TVLine: I’m saddened that my favorite comedy, Mom is cancelled. Were the writers given enough notice that we can get a proper finale? –Edward
Rest assured that because the final-season decision was made back in February, and because episodes are being written so close to tape date (due to the pandemic), the writers will be able to give the sitcom a proper send-off.

• Useful 5
  • Love 5

Alison Janney was on The Late Late Show with James Corden last night, and she said she wished they were getting another season so the writers could send the cast off nicely.  She was disappointed that they decided to end it after 8 seasons but she knew they ended it for "a number of reasons" most of which had to do with money.  😮   So she clearly was on board to do another season.  

• Love 2
On 3/5/2021 at 9:58 AM, Amazee-Dayzee said:

No need to be rude when the poster was just saying that is what they wanted to happen but it probably wouldn't...

I don't think that was rude at all.  @SOMUCHTV was asking a simple question. 

On 3/2/2021 at 10:41 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Oh no did I miss something? Did it get canceled before they got a chance to write the final episode(s)?

• Love 2

I read an article in the newspaper about Mom's cancellation this past week.  Apparently, Allison Janney's contract was up at the end of this seasonl, as well as the show's contract with CBS.  I guess that the CBS suits figured that Allison Janney would want more money and so would Chuck Lorre, so they decided to pull the plug instead.    

And there was an interview with Allison Janney last week where she said that Chuck Lorre was in the process of  writing the script for the final episode.

• Useful 3

It's good the show will get a proper finale, but I don’t like how it's only a half hour. Now that I think about it, I can't remember this show ever having a two-parter, but Chuck Lorre shows tend not to have them. Unless I'm wrong, the only times that Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory got a two-parter was with their finales. 

The only thing I want from the finale is an appearance from Christy, but that's all I can think of that would make it special. 

• Love 1
On 3/22/2021 at 3:34 PM, Mr. Meatball Man said:

It's good the show will get a proper finale, but I don’t like how it's only a half hour. Now that I think about it, I can't remember this show ever having a two-parter, but Chuck Lorre shows tend not to have them. Unless I'm wrong, the only times that Two and a oiiHalf Men and The Big Bang Theory got a two-parter was with their finales. 

Two and a Half Men had a few two-part episodes: The one where Jenna Elfman played a crazy woman named Frankie, Judith's wedding to Herb, Kandi moving in with Alan and then Judith. Those are just off the top of my head. I think there may be more.

Alison was a guest on Fallon last night and she was very funny.  Not all guest really make me laugh out loud, but she did multiple times.  I think she blew Jimmy away.  She’s really relaxed and natural about it.  She talked about her new project...I guess it’s a movie.   

• Love 1

The synopsys of the series finale is out. I'm worried, what could it be?

Spoiler

Bonnie gains a new outlook on her sobriety after dealing with difficult news. Also, Jill and Andy take a big step in their relationship.

GUEST CAST:

• Will Sasso (Andy)
  • Melanie Lynskey (Shannon)
  • Rondi Reed (Jolene)
  • George Anthony Bell (Justice of the Peace)
  • Steven Connor (Judge)
  • Samantha Cutaran (Receptionist)

Spoiler

My guess is Jill is pregnant and she and Andy get married. That would explain why a character is credited as Justice of the Peace.

Beyond that just have the main 5 happy and sober. No other loose ends for anyone.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

The penultimate episode description reads like

Reveal spoiler

Bonnie ruins another big moment in someone’s life.

Well, of course. 

Spoiler

It's ALWAYS about Bonnie.

Kristen Johnston posted a preview on her social media that I can't get to show up here.

Spoiler

Marjorie is receiving an achievement award, which I'm guessing Bonnie manages to make all about her.

She also posted this pic from the episode.

1910437851_Momcastpic.thumb.jpg.1e9ea7095139d18cbadd42de47a032e6.jpg

• Love 2
6 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:
Spoiler

Marjorie is receiving an achievement award, which I'm guessing Bonnie manages to make all about her.

She also posted this pic from the episode

Okay, Marjorie (Mimi Kennedy) looks gorgeous in this photo!  An YEAH to giving Wendy the front spot

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/4/2021 at 8:20 PM, Kiddvideo said:

The penultimate episode description reads like

Reveal spoiler

and

Kristen Johnston posted a preview on her social media that I can't get to show up here.

On 5/5/2021 at 8:34 AM, nodorothyparker said:
  Reveal spoiler

Spoiler

Crap. Yep. BECAUSE it's always got to be all about Bonnie.

Gawd I'm glad it's almost over. They do all look so beautifully glam in that photo!

Edited by Ms Lark
On 3/22/2021 at 5:34 PM, Mr. Meatball Man said:

The only thing I want from the finale is an appearance from Christy, but that's all I can think of that would make it special. 

I feel as if Mom is getting the bum's rush as a finale. It's only a half hour, that doesn't leave any room for the multitudes of fringe characters I would love to see one more time. 

If Anna were appearing, we would know it already. Some paparazzi would have caught her at the studio. Unless there is a Zoom appearance in which case who cares, I am sick of those.

• Love 2
(edited)

I feel like the first half of the season was a scramble to redo because Anna Faris suddenly left and the second half of the season was a scramble to tie up loose ends because of the series ending. And then add in filming during a pandemic.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, TVMovieBuff said:

I feel as if Mom is getting the bum's rush as a finale. It's only a half hour, that doesn't leave any room for the multitudes of fringe characters I would love to see one more time. 

If Anna were appearing, we would know it already. Some paparazzi would have caught her at the studio. Unless there is a Zoom appearance in which case who cares, I am sick of those.

I was disappointed that the show is only getting a half hour finale. They've never even had a two-parter before, CBS couldn't have given them one more episode?

And you're right that someone would have spoiled Anna's appearance in the episode, but I'm wondering if maybe it's going to be a surprise thing. Something that even the spoilers couldn't figure out because the producers want to shock people. I don't know, it's just disappointing to think about the show getting a rushed ending and the person it was literally built around won't be showing up for the last episode. 

I wonder how bad the fallout was between Anna and the people behind the show. I have to think they at least asked her if she wanted to be in the finale. 

• Love 2