Type keyword(s) to search

Loathesome!: Characters We Hate

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

And can we please burn Mary's wardrobe.  When she was on BBT she had much better taste in clothes.

She's also 20-30 years older by the time TBBT takes place, so it makes sense that her wardrobe sense would mature.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I don't like young Sheldon Cooper. I liked him as an adult on BBT but as a kid on Young Sheldon I cannot stand him.  I find him the least likable in his family.   And the way they portray that show it does not look like the late 80's/early 90s. They might reference things from that time period but it does not look like that time period.   And can we please burn Mary's wardrobe.  When she was on BBT she had much better taste in clothes.

I don't like any age Sheldon Cooper.  He's annoying as a child, although some of that is because his mother favors him and babies him.  As an adult, well, I'd murder him in his sleep, and I doubt the rest of the characters would turn me in.

For that matter, I hate Mary on Young Sheldon.  The character is interesting on BBT, but just a drag on YS.  And the episode where she was trying to manipulate the children into saying they couldn't possibly leave their town in Texas so that their father could take an assistant coaching job at a university in Oklahoma (a huge step up from high school coach) completely pissed me off.

The rest of the family is good, though.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 7

Okay - the finale of Modern Family and Cam has one, final chance to not be a selfish, garbage human being.

Cam applied for a football head-coaching job in Missouri and expected to uproot Mitchell and Lily (who is in the middle of school) to move if he got the job. But the college offered it to someone else, so instead he convinced Mitchell to adopt another baby, despite them both being well into their forties, he convinced Mitchell they should sell their apartment and buy their dream house so their lives in California could be completely set. They're happy, and it's clear that Mitchell absolutely loves the new status quo of their lives.

So when Cam gets a surprise call from the college, offering him that job, he looks at how happy his husband is, how happy his daughter is and at their new baby, all surrounded by loving family and friends, and he quietly passes on the job. Right? He puts other people's feelings before his own and we end on a lovely, selfless and heartwarming choice. Right?

Oh hell no, of course we don't! Cam immediately starts talking down their current life, then makes some noises about turning the offer down without telling Mitchell. But then he immediately blurts it out in front of everyone, which forces Mitchell into being an actual good person and saying Cam should take the job.

So of course, Cam again gets his way after acting like a massive, selfish, spoiled child. They end the show by moving away from the family who Mitchell is extremely close to, the friends they've both made in California, the dream house they bought, all so Cam can coach at some school in division three or whatever. To fulfill the "lifelong dream" that was never even mentioned in the first couple of seasons of the show.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 4
On 2/4/2021 at 4:44 PM, DearEvette said:

Brianna very much cared about D'Angelo.  But she was old skool.  Her thought was the health of the organization and family overall.  Also she was Avon's consigliere.  It wasn't just about the money, for her, the illegal business was as important an enterprise as any legitimate legal business where the people at the top are responsible for the livelihood of their workers.  And after all that it was the legacy from her father.  Take the drug dealing aspect out of it, she was like any CEO.  And part of their life was that if it was expedient then one person had to go to jail for the good of the operation.  And this time it just happened to be her son.

D'Angelo being murdered in prison would have been simply something that came with the territory.  They all knew the code.  But when McNulty let her know that D'angelo was murdered and it might have been at Avon and Springer's orders, she got real salty at Avon and Springer and smartly, McNulty knew his dropping the bomb that Avon and Stringer were responsible for D'Angelo's murder would sow dissension in the ranks because Brianna loved her son.

So I actually didn't hate Brianna.  I loved her steely-eyed pragmatism.  And @praeceptrix is correct, Michael Hyatt portrayed her so well.

Now, Delonda, tho, that bitch could die! I hated her so hard.  LOL.

Agree about Brianna. Surprisingly I didn't hate Delonda and I'm sure why but my #1 hated The Wire character is Stringer Bell. I could not STAND him!

With the recent episode of Falcon and Winter Soldier, I officially joined the John Walker hate train. I had been willing to keep an open mind right up until his “Do you know who I am?!” posturing. Arrogant, entitled douchewad who isn’t even fit to polish Steve Rogers’ shield.

• Love 2

Same here. I neither liked nor trusted "Captain American't" (to quote one Twitter user), but I got on the Hate Train when he told Sam and Bucky to "Stay the Hell out of [his] way" after they rejected him. Walker's like a bad penny: turning up where he's not wanted and 9 times out of 10 making things worse. I've got way more respect for Zemo than Walker and Zemo's a fucking supervillain!

When Walker turned into "Captain Karen" with his "Do you know who I am!?" crap, my first response was, "I not only know who you are, I know who you ain't." 

But the last straw was Episode 4, after a series of mistakes-one of which lead to a much-needed ass-kicking by the Dora Milaje-Walker  took the super-soldier serum, with tragic consequences. After Walker's best friend/fellow soldier Lamar was killed by Karli the terrorist, Walker not only snapped, he killed someone in cold blood in public, in front of witnesses with camera phones, using Captain America's shield, betraying everything it ever stood for in the process, which Steve never did and Sam would never do. Walker may have the resume' and the moves, but Steve and Sam have three things he doesn't: humility, the smarts and, most of all, the heart. Walker's not "America's Ass"; he's "America's Asshole."

On another note, that Walker's so loathsome is a testament to the talent of Wyatt Russell-who, back in the day, auditioned to play Steve Rogers for the first Captain America. However, Russell's apparently been getting death threats because of the role, which sucks, to say the least. Hate the character, not the actor who plays it.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

You would think this wouldn't need to be said, wouldn't you? And yet...:/. 

Just based off of Twitter, soap opera actors/actresses are THE WORST at not being able to differentiate between audiences hating the character and audiences hating the actor/actress. Some of them from General Hospital especially get very upset.

1 minute ago, LexieLily said:

Just based off of Twitter, soap opera actors/actresses are THE WORST at not being able to differentiate between audiences hating the character and audiences hating the actor/actress. Some of them from General Hospital especially get very upset.

Oh, yes. I've heard talk about them having quite a few horror stories of that sort. That was a thing even before the days of social media. Some people really have a very hard time separating fiction from reality, it seems. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, DollEyes said:

Walker's like a bad penny: turning up where he's not wanted and 9 times out of 10 making things worse. 

He initially reminded me of Inspector Gadget in his arrogant incompetence. Now it's gotten way more dark.

But yeah, poor Wyatt Russell. This is why I hate social media and will never EVER join Twitter. The Marvel fandom did the exact same thing to Emily Van Camp/Sharon Carter just because Steve kissed her. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

He initially reminded me of Inspector Gadget in his arrogant incompetence. Now it's gotten way more dark.

But yeah, poor Wyatt Russell. This is why I hate social media and will never EVER join Twitter. The Marvel fandom did the exact same thing to Emily Van Camp/Sharon Carter just because Steve kissed her. 

The sad irony of this is that Mr. Russell likely took the role in the hopes of making a name for himself  as a performer beyond   being the child of Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn . Well,  now he's got it but at a worse price than he could have anticipated. 

Regardless of his character's loathesomeness, the performer (and his loved ones) truly don't deserve that! 

• Love 1

Jason Mewes playing himself in Degrassi takes Hollywood(2009). Was there a point in that movie that I was supposed to be on Jason's side? Because even when Paige started acting like a brat, I still blamed that ass. First after Manny (his first choice for lead) tanks her audition, he gets all pissy when the studio cast the role with Paige, who won it in an open audition (which was hilarious), throwing his first bitch fit in front of her (back was turned) and didn't apologize. The studio allowed him casting rights, so he could have cast Manny anyways since he had worked with her before and both her and Paige were unknowns. He then complained that Paige said "melons" instead of boobs. Paige pointed out she was READING THE SCRIPT HE WROTE and he responded "that was the old script." So I am assuming his didn't have someone deliver the new script so she knew the change, because Paige at this point was still trying her best. The only time she was every complimented, and not by him,  is when she styled herself for a photoshoot (which makes sense since she interned in fashion and hoped to be a stylist before being cast). There was no indication  that Jason was doing a thing to help her and even backed up the verbal abuse Paige was getting from her male co-star. It got to the point where Paige basically said "fuck it" and started acting full diva, with the unfortunate effect of driving away Marco. So after everything went to shit for Paige and Jason cancelled the movie, she helped Manny redo her audition for the studio so Jason finally got his lead because he didn't have the spine to cast her before. She even humbly went to work as his assistant. No apology, no thank you for getting him his "Trixie". Paige lost everything, including Marco because of her behavior, but nothing happened Jason for his own shitty behavior and ended up getting he wanted. I really ended up hating him.

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 3

Chloe Sullivan, from Smallville. I don't remember ever disliking a character that much, she isn't part of DC universe, yet she had more spotlight than Clark Kent on that show, always coming off as the smartest of all, to the point of people developing theories than Chloe was the show's version of Lois Lane. Thank God Lois came in the picture a few years later to restore the order.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Lya167 said:

Chloe Sullivan, from Smallville. I don't remember ever disliking a character that much, she isn't part of DC universe, yet she had more spotlight than Clark Kent on that show, always coming off as the smartest of all, to the point of people developing theories than Chloe was the show's version of Lois Lane. Thank God Lois came in the picture a few years later to restore the order.

I remember someone on TWoP complaining that Chloe would "fellate Beelzebub to get a story". 

As for me, while Chloe wasn't as awful as Lana (and, really, who could be?), I can never look at her the same way now because... well, y'know.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Lya167 said:

Well, she really was the show’s version of Lois-she did the work, the research, interned, paid her dues.  Completed college.

While this show’s actual Lois, was a high school and college dropout who started working for a tabloid and slept with her boss/editor, who promoted her and demoted Chloe. Then toward the end of the series, show runners did a light switch and Lois matched up to the comics version.

People can hate Chloe-but she earned and worked her way to be the reporter she was supposed to be until Al and Miles decided to bring in Erica Durance’s “Lois” who never earned it.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

People can hate Chloe-but she earned and worked her way to be the reporter she was supposed to be until Al and Miles decided to bring in Erica Durance’s “Lois” who never earned it.

I remember back then that there were three main fandoms, clois, clana, chlark and each hating the other two, talk about loathsome... And I used to spend hours on another board sucked into that ship war/character bashing, it was insane. I'm older now, learned my lesson, but I see the same thing happening today on other shows I enjoy, it's a pity. I only tolerated Lana because she was DC canon, but Chloe I just could never bring myself to like her.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Lya167 said:

I remember back then that there were three main fandoms, clois, clana, chlark and each hating the other two, talk about loathsome... And I used to spend hours on another board sucked into that ship war/character bashing, it was insane. I'm older now, learned my lesson, but I see the same thing happening today on other shows I enjoy, it's a pity. I only tolerated Lana because she was DC canon, but Chloe I just could never bring myself to like her.

While I hated the toxicity of fandom I did love the passion and excitement. I sound ancient but tv just isn't the same anymore.  The interest just doesn't seem to be there. In my old age I don't get that hooked anymore (which is good) but also I haven't come across any shows good enough to carry a fandom. The CW shows nowadays are just crappy dull versions of what they were 10 years. There's no shippy shows like Greys, Vampire Diaries, Smallville, Gossip Girl, OTH. The shallow teen gal in me misses that.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Avabelle said:

There's no shippy shows like Greys, Vampire Diaries, Smallville, Gossip Girl, OTH. The shallow teen gal in me misses that.

Absolutely! My ultimate ship is Meredith and Grey, no other will ever top them, in my book. I was born in 87, so I was a teen when Smallville aired and like most teenagers, I was driven by passion, hence my long hours spent on forum feuds, bashing other characters and ships. Nowadays, I know better than to engage in online disputes when I see someone painting characters I love in the worst light possible. Back then, I couldn't fathom how someone liked Chloe Sullivan, especially cause she doesn't exist in the superman mythos, now I get she had a huge fanbase and people had the all the right in the world to support and care for her. 

Funny thing is that I stopped watching Smallville in mid-season 8, the Lana Lang arc that wrapped up her story made me mad to no end. I went back to watch seasons 9 and 10 like, 5 years later, just for the sake of it.

• Love 1

I was born in 87 also so we were obviously just at that age. I stopped watching Grey's for years after Izzy left because i loved her and Alex and couldn't fathom how the show would go on without her. I went back to watching it years later and found it functioned just fine without her. I later did a rewatch and found that on rewatch and probably because I was older that I actually didn't even like her that much. 

• Love 2

Oh man, Grey's is just bizarre, everyone either leaves or dies. I didn't think it would survive after Derek's death, but there it is, alive and kicking. I wouldn't be surprised if Meredith left and the show still kept going. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Chachi and all the other loser new characters that got the spotlight in Happy Days after Richie left can SIT ON IT.

Happy Days is a weird one for me. 

I mean in some ways even Fonzie himself is pretty lame. We have to accept this totally egotistical guy, marginally a bully at first, as a hero, because he's a manwhore, has an accessory people like, and has a magic trick he's worked out with a jukebox. 

Potsie and Ralph Mouth are pretty lame too. I question Richie's judgement for even hanging out with these losers. 

Arnold's cool. There's that. Al... a bit less so. He seems nice, but a pretty bad businessman. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Kromm said:

I mean in some ways even Fonzie himself is pretty lame. We have to accept this totally egotistical guy, marginally a bully at first, as a hero, because he's a manwhore, has an accessory people like, and has a magic trick he's worked out with a jukebox. 

My mother was a teenager in the 50s, and she would have agreed with you. She even told me once that someone like Fonzie would have been met with eyerolls and even been laughed out of high school back in the day!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
On 5/16/2021 at 10:53 PM, legaleagle53 said:

My mother was a teenager in the 50s, and she would have agreed with you. She even told me once that someone like Fonzie would have been met with eyerolls and even been laughed out of high school back in the day!

Wasn't he originally a high school dropout?

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Wasn't he originally a high school dropout?

Yes, in the original incarnation, Fonzie was a high school dropout but did attempt to take some remedial classes only to have his notes ruined by a bird whose guts he hated! Anyway, when the show became a SHOUT SHOW with everyone screaming their lines so the back of the Studio Audience could hear, it turned out Fonzie did secretly take courses (again?) but this time was able to belatedly graduate.

While I think Fonzie worked best as a secondary character of few words who one wasn't sure was Richie's friend or foe, even when they transformed him into Super-Fonz (thereby a live-action cartoon) , he himself was tolerable if not all that. However, what got the show to tank was how the audience would scream like they were seeing an Elvis/ Beatles Concert EVERY time he stepped on the set! If they'd ever release the series with all that screaming edited out, I  think I'd enjoy it a lot more! 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Blergh said:

Yes, in the original incarnation, Fonzie was a high school dropout but did attempt to take some remedial classes only to have his notes ruined by a bird whose guts he hated! Anyway, when the show became a SHOUT SHOW with everyone screaming their lines so the back of the Studio Audience could hear, it turned out Fonzie did secretly take courses (again?) but this time was able to belatedly graduate.

While I think Fonzie worked best as a secondary character of few words who one wasn't sure was Richie's friend or foe, even when they transformed him into Super-Fonz (thereby a live-action cartoon) , he himself was tolerable if not all that. However, what got the show to tank was how the audience would scream like they were seeing an Elvis/ Beatles Concert EVERY time he stepped on the set! If they'd ever release the series with all that screaming edited out, I  think I'd enjoy it a lot more! 

Yeah, I start to lose patience with "breakout" characters that writers become too enamored with. Urkel is a prime example, but I could also point to Bender on Futurama (I swear he became the central protagonist), Ajax on Duckman (a funny character, but he did not deserve that many episodes), and Jo on Facts of Life (she became insufferably special after a while).

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

While I think Fonzie worked best as a secondary character of few words who one wasn't sure was Richie's friend or foe, even when they transformed him into Super-Fonz (thereby a live-action cartoon) , he himself was tolerable if not all that.

I actually said as much to my mom recently. Indeed, no matter how goofy they made his character with all his amazing feats, I think the fact that Winkler himself is, by all accounts, a really decent guy helped make those moments with Fonzie a little easier to deal with as a result. You still liked him, even if his character and the show got ridiculous. 

I also think it helps that even the cast acknowledged how goofy some of the stuff like the shark jumping and whatnot was :p.  

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I also think it helps that even the cast acknowledged how goofy some of the stuff like the shark jumping and whatnot was :p.  

While wearing a leather jacket no less.  I'm no leather expert, but I don't think salt water would do it any favors.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

One of my favorite Henry Winkler moments in Arrested Development was when he was on a dock, turned to leave and had to hop over a shark that fisherman had just caught and laid out nearby. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

One of my favorite Henry Winkler moments in Arrested Development was when he was on a dock, turned to leave and had to hop over a shark that fisherman had just caught and laid out nearby. 

OMG. That's fantastic :D. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

One of the countless examples of Arrested Development being incredibly dense and packed with visual gags as well as verbal ones. I haven't even noticed this one before.

3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Yeah, I start to lose patience with "breakout" characters that writers become too enamored with. Urkel is a prime example, but I could also point to Bender on Futurama (I swear he became the central protagonist), Ajax on Duckman (a funny character, but he did not deserve that many episodes), and Jo on Facts of Life (she became insufferably special after a while).

Don't forget Homer supplanting Bart as the main protagonist of The Simpsons. Most of the early seasons revolved around Bart's antics - and the early hype was all Bart related. Bartman, "eat my shorts" the video games with Bart as the player character etc - and Homer was a strong supporting character, but he slowly starting getting more and more of the A-plot until he was undoubtedly the star. 

I suppose it actually worked for The Simpsons, because there was so much more the writers could do with Homer and his life than they could with Bart. Class issues, financial security, explorations of marriage and love and even infidelity, crime and punishment, career changes and whatever else they could come up with.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Danny Franks said:

suppose it actually worked for The Simpsons, because there was so much more the writers could do with Homer and his life than they could with Bart. Class issues, financial security, explorations of marriage and love and even infidelity, crime and punishment, career changes and whatever else they could come up with.

Plus, I could be 100% wrong about this, but I think the original fans were teens and young 20s and I think those same people were the ones that stuck with the show.  I mean wathced it then and quit, but are they getting newer younger fans, or has their demo skewed older?  I would suspect the latter.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

One of the countless examples of Arrested Development being incredibly dense and packed with visual gags as well as verbal ones. I haven't even noticed this one before.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Don't forget Homer supplanting Bart as the main protagonist of The Simpsons. Most of the early seasons revolved around Bart's antics - and the early hype was all Bart related. Bartman, "eat my shorts" the video games with Bart as the player character etc - and Homer was a strong supporting character, but he slowly starting getting more and more of the A-plot until he was undoubtedly the star. 

I suppose it actually worked for The Simpsons, because there was so much more the writers could do with Homer and his life than they could with Bart. Class issues, financial security, explorations of marriage and love and even infidelity, crime and punishment, career changes and whatever else they could come up with.

That and the kids that initial liked Bart would outgrow him in a few years, and he really wouldn't have a new generations as invested as the old one. Homer is more timeless. 

• Love 3

I never watched Happy Days. I knew enough about it to get the AD jokes about shark jumping and Bob Loblaw replacing Zuckercorn, but it just dawned on me that of course Ron Howard was on Happy Days too. I just associate him so strongly with the Andy Griffith show that I forget that he was attached to a whole nother show, and now I feel dumb. LOL

FWIW I also enjoyed the AD shoutout for Andy Griffith, with Opie reassuring us "No one was making fun of Andy Griffith. I can't emphasize that enough."

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Yeah, I start to lose patience with "breakout" characters that writers become too enamored with

In Fonzie's case I think it was the live audience that became too enamored.  Much like JJ on Good Times.  Live audiences LOVE a catchphrase.  This has always been a problem on Saturday Night Live IMO, right from the beginning.

• Love 7

As I was looking through one of the other threads, I saw Dallas being mentioned, so I was reminded how much I despised Jock Ewing there. There were many terrible characters who did terrible things, but he gets the top prize from me. Horrible, stuck-up, arrogant SOB. I was relieved when he died, but of course the other characters had to continue trying to get his approval even beyond that.

My most hated moment was when John Ross was born and Jock matter-of-factly decided how he was going to be named and nobody even thought about contradicting him. Well, STFU! No one gets any say in how a child is named except their parents, specifically the mother. I so wanted Sue Ellen to throw in his face that the child is probably not his grandson anyway, since that was what she assumed at the time.

And don't even get me started on how he and J.R.* kidnapped Lucy from her mother as a baby!

* and I'm giving the saint Miss Ellie blame for this as well. The others were heartless SOBs, but since her whole thing was how she cared for her family, she should have been empathetic to Val. But she probably assumed that a poor teenager's feelings were not comparable to her own.

And speaking of taking children from their mothers of lower social status, Mr. Bryant from Downton Abbey and Squire Hamley from Wives and Daughters can f*ck themselves as well.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

As I was looking through one of the other threads, I saw Dallas being mentioned, so I was reminded how much I despised Jock Ewing there. There were many terrible characters who did terrible things, but he gets the top prize from me. Horrible, stuck-up, arrogant SOB. I was relieved when he died, but of course the other characters had to continue trying to get his approval even beyond that.

My most hated moment was when John Ross was born and Jock matter-of-factly decided how he was going to be named and nobody even thought about contradicting him. Well, STFU! No one gets any say in how a child is named except their parents, specifically the mother. I so wanted Sue Ellen to throw in his face that the child is probably not his grandson anyway, since that was what she assumed at the time.

And don't even get me started on how he and J.R.* kidnapped Lucy from her mother as a baby!

* and I'm giving the saint Miss Ellie blame for this as well. The others were heartless SOBs, but since her whole thing was how she cared for her family, she should have been empathetic to Val. But she probably assumed that a poor teenager's feelings were not comparable to her own.

And speaking of taking children from their mothers of lower social status, Mr. Bryant from Downton Abbey and Squire Hamley from Wives and Daughters can f*ck themselves as well.

I hated Jock and Miss Ellie. They were both horrible. No wonder J.R. was so messed up. I hate how they got completely away with kidnapping Lucy and raising her.   

• Love 3
7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I hated Jock and Miss Ellie. They were both horrible. No wonder J.R. was so messed up. I hate how they got completely away with kidnapping Lucy and raising her.   

But what was a bit off was that for all the whaling Lucy did about her parents, she only visited them in California a single time as an adult on their show (and was never known to bother to meet her much younger twin sibs). And did she share any of her inheritance from Jock with them?  I don't recall her doing so! 

I also wish that once JR was out of danger (and they were no longer considered suspects) that Bobby and Pam immediately would have repacked their car and restarted their one-way trip to California- letting Jock and Miss Ellie stew in their own because they're the ones who created the monster that was JR for all the talk of  'family values'  that Miss Ellie especially liked to spout about. 

Oh, and now that I think of it, no way should Sue Ellen have let Miss Ellie visit John Ross 'on her own' since it seemed to well-known among the Ewings that she didn't oppose JR having stalked Valene then literally tearing Baby Lucy out of her mother's arms or, failing that,to  immediately bring the baby BACK to Valene after all that so why should Miss Ellie have been counted on doing ANYthing to protect Sue Ellen or John Ross from JR?

• Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, Blergh said:

But what was a bit off was that for all the whaling Lucy did about her parents, she only visited them in California a single time as an adult on their show (and was never known to bother to meet her much younger twin sibs). And did she share any of her inheritance from Jock with them?  I don't recall her doing so! 

I also wish that once JR was out of danger (and they were no longer considered suspects) that Bobby and Pam immediately would have repacked their car and restarted their one-way trip to California- letting Jock and Miss Ellie stew in their own because they're the ones who created the monster that was JR for all the talk of  'family values'  that Miss Ellie especially liked to spout about. 

Oh, and now that I think of it, no way should Sue Ellen have let Miss Ellie visit John Ross 'on her own' since it seemed to well-known among the Ewings that she didn't oppose JR having stalked Valene then literally tearing Baby Lucy out of her mother's arms or, failing that,to  immediately bring the baby BACK to Valene after all that so why should Miss Ellie have been counted on doing ANYthing to protect Sue Ellen or John Ross from JR?

If all that happened, then there wouldn't be a show.

The original, as a set up for the spin off for Gary and Val in Knots Landing, had Lucy secretly meeting with Valene.

And ultimately, Miss Ellie didn't take John Ross back, and was pissed that JR had used her and her love for John Ross to use her as the one to kidnap him.

For all that JR loved and admired his daddy, he listened to his Mama. It's why he didn't use all that dirt on Sue Ellen during the custody hearing like he had planned.

Yes, this was my favorite drama/prime time soap as a kid through my teens until Pam/Victoria Principal left. It was part of the staple of Friday night shows that I watched with my parents. It went on just a few years too long and was sad, pathetic shell of its former self. But I stuck around for Bobby.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1

Not bad points, GH.

However, it's a virtual certainty that JR got virtually all the 'charm' that he used to lull his victims into letting their guards down from Miss Ellie NOT Jock since Jock always seemed like someone you couldn't take anywhere without him fouling things first thing.  Can folks imagine Jock calling anyone 'Darling'? LOL

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Not bad points, GH.

However, it's a virtual certainty that JR got virtually all the 'charm' that he used to lull his victims into letting their guards down from Miss Ellie NOT Jock since Jock always seemed like someone you couldn't take anywhere without him fouling things first thing.  Can folks imagine Jock calling anyone 'Darling'? LOL

Jock had his own brand of charm. The show took a huge hit when Jim Davis died. He continued working until the very end. It was sad to see how cancer was taking its toll on him. And the entire cast loved him. He was "DADDY" to all of them.

As for JR, well, he was the original Magnificent Bastard, and he was one I loved to Hate. Took awhile for me to adjust that Major Tony Nelson was this dastardly, unscrupulous ass.

And I also loved Jock Ewing. Warts and all.

• Love 3

GH,

Well, I have to grant that Jock made sure everyone knew where he stood and didn't fake stuff while JR was far more duplicitous.

Yeah, the cast all liked the late Mr. Davis and most of them liked the late Mr. Hagman but that sure didn't make either of their characters nice folks. 

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

As for JR, well, he was the original Magnificent Bastard, and he was one I loved to Hate. Took awhile for me to adjust that Major Tony Nelson was this dastardly, unscrupulous ass.

So did I. I loved I Dream of Jeannie as a kid and watched it all the time. It was really hard to get used to Major Nelson being JR. 

• Love 4

JR sometimes crossed from hate to love to hate for me, but Jock stayed firmly in the hate zone. Plus, he was responsible for JR, so that is like a bonus.

It's sort of like while I hate both Roose and Ramsey Bolton, I find Roose worse, because he was responsible for Ramsey's existence and character. (Yes, I know that adult people are responsible for their own actions, I never said that the hate is completely rational : D)

• Love 5
(edited)

Winona from Justified. She made really shitty and criminal decisions but because she was pregnant she actively tried to stop Raylan from saving a 13/14 year old girl from murdering someone and being murdered. She gives him an ultimatum to not save Loretta and just move on. Yes, she goes to His boss but her first impulse is to let Loretta die. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

Detective Hailey Upton from Chicago PD - she's the worst. Shoved in the middle of every storyline. Abusive past etc piled on so we'll feel sorry for her. Constantly smug. Constantly right about everything - especially when she's totally wrong. A clear writers pet.

Teddy from Grey's Anatomy - you suck, just leave.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Winona from Justified. She made really shitty and criminal decisions but because she was pregnant she actively tried to stop Raylan from saving a 13/14 year old girl from murdering someone and being murdered. She gives him an ultimatum to not save Loretta and just move on. Yes, she goes to His boss but her first impulse is to let Loretta die. 

Then there was the money that she stole from the evidence cage. The only smart thing she did was not stay with Raylan in the end (although he was no prize either). 

• Love 1