Type keyword(s) to search

Loathesome!: Characters We Hate

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I remember that there was an episode where Danny got an offer on their home, and they were all excitedly talking about the possibility of moving into a bigger place and having their own spaces at long last in whatever new home they would've moved into and all that. Of course, Michelle didn't like this idea, so it never went through.

But that episode always struck me so odd because if Jesse, Becky, and their boys moved into their own place, and Joey found his own, that would've left more than enough room for Danny, DJ, Stephanie, and Michelle. And what's more, I believe this was at the point in the show's run when DJ was about ready to graduate high school and go to college, so once she left, then Danny, Stephanie, and Michelle would've each had all the space they needed and wanted for themselves. Yet nobody really seemed to seriously entertain this option, if I recall rightly. 

But as others noted here, the title of the show was "Full House", so... And what Michelle wanted, Michelle got. 

That episode annoyed me so much.  It's not so much that Michelle wants the whole family to stay together. I always say she's a brat, but that's a reasonable desire for a young child. It's that the whole family puts their wants and needs aside in order to all stay there just because that's what Michelle wants.  Actually a lot of the problem with Michelle isn't so much what she wants, it's that she gets it.    I only remember her getting any consequences to her actions 3 times.  

IRL, Jesse and Becky wouldn't have got any of the money from the sale, so they should have moved out anyway.  That attic was not big enough for a family of four, especially when the twins are now walking and talking.  I don't even think Jesse and Becky had a proper bedroom, but maybe I'm misremembering.  

Plus, that was close to the last episode, so they didn't have a real reason to keep the family in the house anyway.

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, Katy M said:

That episode annoyed me so much.  It's not so much that Michelle wants the whole family to stay together. I always say she's a brat, but that's a reasonable desire for a young child. It's that the whole family puts their wants and needs aside in order to all stay there just because that's what Michelle wants.  Actually a lot of the problem with Michelle isn't so much what she wants, it's that she gets it.    I only remember her getting any consequences to her actions 3 times.  

IRL, Jesse and Becky wouldn't have got any of the money from the sale, so they should have moved out anyway.  That attic was not big enough for a family of four, especially when the twins are now walking and talking.  I don't even think Jesse and Becky had a proper bedroom, but maybe I'm misremembering.  

Plus, that was close to the last episode, so they didn't have a real reason to keep the family in the house anyway.

No one ever moves out of a sitcom family home.  That type of episide is a sitcom trope going back decades. Brady bunch did it too despite the obvious 6 kids one bathroom two rooms.  Move!

• Love 13

The only sitcom families I can remember changing houses were the Douglases halfway through “My Three Sons”, and the Williams clan on “Make Room for Daddy,” where they seemed to change apartments every few years.

Edited by Egg McMuffin
  • Useful 5
On 3/10/2022 at 1:54 PM, SmithW6079 said:

It might be because by TBBT, Mary had mellowed quite a bit from her younger days. She no longer catered to Sheldon's every whim and would call him out for being a spoiled baby. She'd also been widowed for almost 20 years. In "Young Sheldon," she still very much babies him and her marriage is bad. 

I think this is part of it for sure but I also think on YS they purposefully are making Mary annoying because they think that makes George more likeable.  If they go with the end game that has been set up by BBT that should change - but I don't know if it will.  

• Love 3

Getting back to Michelle on Full House, I know we all love to rag on her for being a brat, but I’m willing to cut her a bit of grace on the episode where Papoli died. I know Stephanie meant well when she told her that she needed to suck it up and be strong for Jesse, but that’s a lot to put on a 7/8 year old who has just had her first big experience with death (her goldfish notwithstanding). And pretending to be okay when you aren’t okay doesn’t really help things. What ultimately helped both Jesse and Michelle was grieving together. And him showing up at Michelle’s school to help her do the Greek traditional dance that Papoli was going to do with her was one of the show’s better moments.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

The only sitcom families I can remember changing houses were the Douglases halfway through “My Three Sons”, and the Williams clan on “Make Room for Daddy,” where they seemed to change apartments every few years.

The Cleavers moved after season 1 or 2 on “Leave it to Beaver” and the Ricardos moved to the country on the last season of “I Love Lucy”.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

The Cleavers moved after season 1 or 2 on “Leave it to Beaver” and the Ricardos moved to the country on the last season of “I Love Lucy”.   

They moved to the country?   I never watched that show much.  

• Useful 1

Yep - the Ricardos moved to an old farmhouse in Westport, CT. The writers were clever how they got a lot of story out of that move: different episodes dealt with buying the house, the move, hiring the Mertzes to help them with a chicken business, getting to know the neighbors, etc. It wasn’t just some throwaway episode. But ILL pioneered the whole idea of the arc (the baby, the temporary move to Los Angeles, the trip to Europe, the trip to Florida, moving to Connecticut).

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

No one ever moves out of a sitcom family home.  That type of episide is a sitcom trope going back decades. Brady bunch did it too despite the obvious 6 kids one bathroom two rooms.  Move!

Yeah, I remember the episode where the oldest boy moved into the attic at the end Cindy's telling Alice how long she would have to wait until she got the attic bedroom. I know it was suppose to be funny but Cindy didn't seem to realize when there's only two siblings left they all get their own rooms. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Yeah, I remember the episode where the oldest boy moved into the attic at the end Cindy's telling Alice how long she would have to wait until she got the attic bedroom. I know it was suppose to be funny but Cindy didn't seem to realize when there's only two siblings left they all get their own rooms. 

There were a LOT of things that Cindy didn't realize. I didn't loathe the character but the performer Susan Olsen has gone on record as saying she did! 

• LOL 8
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

Me too. Everyone else gave up want they wanted for Michelle. It was really stupid. Everyone else was excited about moving until the little brat spoke up. They all give into her. That's what I hated about her too. Michelle always got what she wanted. Everyone always gave in to her. She's the reason Becky gave up her apartment and moved in with the family. She was upset when Jesse moved out to live with his wife. They gave in and moved back in with the family. It made no sense that Becky and Jesse wouldn't have wanted their own place at some point. They wouldn't get money from the sell but they both worked for the most part of their marriage so they had to have save a lot of money unless they were paying rent which I doubt. They could put a big down payment or even have enough to buy a house outright. They really stopped having a reason to have everyone in the house by the time Michelle was in preschool or kindergarten.

That's one thing that annoys me on TV. There's a lot of shows were it actually makes sense for characters to move out or on but they don't. The Waltons had an episode where they could have moved but nope. The Middle had an episode where Frankie's sick of their house and wants to move into an apartment that looks really nice. Nope, they stay in the house. 

• Love 7

On TV, adult children always live at home when real people in their circumstances would have moved out (a sub-rule of this being that TV teens who've worked their entire student lives to get into a highly competitive school far away do yet decide to stay in town and attend the local state school along with everyone else).  TV writers seem to think family members must live under the same roof in perpetuity to justify them intersecting every episode (see, e.g. The Conners, in which one house is packed to the rafters with nearly everyone in the whole damn family, but at least there's a financial excuse there unlike on many shows); just write them as living locally and coming over often.  You don't even have to build an extra set; just show them when they're visiting. 

It sounds particularly weird in a situation like Full House (which I never watched; I came across a few episodes back in the day and thought it was terribly written and acted [and that Michelle was the ugliest kid I had ever seen on TV, which made me feel like an ass, but damn]) where it's not adult kids illogically remaining in the family home, but people who were adults at the outset and now even have their own kids. 

Also, I had no idea Full House lasted that long!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

On TV, adult children always live at home when real people in their circumstances would have moved out (a sub-rule of this being that TV teens who've worked their entire student lives to get into a highly competitive school far away do yet decide to stay in town and attend the local state school along with everyone else).  TV writers seem to think family members must live under the same roof in perpetuity to justify them intersecting every episode (see, e.g. The Conners, in which one house is packed to the rafters with nearly everyone in the whole damn family, but at least there's a financial excuse there unlike on many shows); just write them as living locally and coming over often.  You don't even have to build an extra set; just show them when they're visiting. 

It sounds particularly weird in a situation like Full House (which I never watched; I came across a few episodes back in the day and thought it was terribly written and acted [and that Michelle was the ugliest kid I had ever seen on TV, which made me feel like an ass, but damn]) where it's not adult kids illogically remaining in the family home, but people who were adults at the outset and now even have their own kids. 

Also, I had no idea Full House lasted that long!

That is one of the few that actually make sense. With everyone else I agree just have them come over all the time. Or they find a house nearby. It makes more sense then just everyone living together. Another show that was weird on was Dallas. Really JR doesn't want his own mansion to live in? The pilot actually made a little more sense when it showed cottages attached to Southfork that were suppose to be JR, Bobby's and Gary's. 

• Love 3

If Full House (original not the Netflix one) were set now then it would make sense for Joey and Jesse to never want to leave even after Jesse married Becky. Danny redid the garage into an apartment for Joey and they later redid the attic into an apartment for Jesse and Becky. Given housing prices in San Francisco these days I completely understand why they wouldn't want to leave. Back then both men eventually had jobs that paid well enough that they could have moved out but they just didn't. That's before the "Michelle says we aren't allowed to leave" bits. When Jesse married Becky they could have just done another earthquake episode as an excuse to destroy her apartment and have them initially move back in. There are also any number of business ventures that Jesse and Joey could have gotten involved with as a reason why neither would have a lot of money on hand. Jesse bought the Smash Club at one point so it would be something like that. In those scenarios staying at the Tanner house was the best option since they either weren't paying rent or paying a generously low amount. They're lucky Danny liked having them around.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That is one of the few that actually make sense. With everyone else I agree just have them come over all the time. Or they find a house nearby. It makes more sense then just everyone living together. Another show that was weird on was Dallas. Really JR doesn't want his own mansion to live in? The pilot actually made a little more sense when it showed cottages attached to Southfork that were suppose to be JR, Bobby's and Gary's. 

Ellie Ewing was a very strange woman who considered herself to have “lost” a son if he moved out. She went on and on about “losing” Gary because he had the nerve to move to California for his own spinoff. And she literally bawled in an episode where Bobby wanted to leave home after he got married.

I remember reading an interview with Jim Davis (Jock Ewing) years ago where he said something like, “Why the hell are they all living under the same roof anyway? Oh well, that’s television for you.”

Edited by Egg McMuffin
  • Love 8
20 minutes ago, Egg McMuffin said:

Ellie Ewing was a very strange woman who considered herself to have “lost” a son if he moved out. She went on and on about “losing” Gary because he had the nerve to move to California for his own spinoff. And she literally bawled in an episode where Bobby wanted to leave home after he got married.

I remember reading an interview with Jim Davis (Jock Ewing) years ago where he said something like, “Why the hell are they all living under the same roof anyway? Oh well, that’s television for you.”

She really was. A grown son moving out is normal to everyone but her.  

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

No. Miss Ellie was crying because Bobby had just gotten sick and tired of J.R.’s games, and with the latest, Jock didn’t support him. So he and Pam were leaving for California in the second season finale that set up “Who Shot J.R.?”

Of course they came back.

I didn’t have a problem with them all living under the same house. Probably a cultural thing for me, as a lot of family is like that in real life for me. Plus I got all those breakfasts and dinner scenes; cocktails and Bobby beating the shit out of J.R. every now and then!

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Yeah, but for all of Miss Ellie's crying about her middle and youngest sons 'leaving' her, she did next to zilch to stop J R from interfering in their and their own loved ones' lives! Yes, she may have later on felt guilt about how Valene had been treated by J R earlier when gifting her onetime daughter-in-law  that house. However, that doesn't erase the fact that, at the time, Miss  was happy to accept the 'prize' of  Valene's baby daughter Lucy that he'd torn from her arms after chasing her down when she split from Gary. Better late than never re Miss Ellie admitting her having been wrong but that doesn't change the fact that she HAD been wrong not to have immediately blessed out J R for that cruel (and criminal) behavior) then returned Lucy ASAP to Valene's custody! Of course, one may wonder if Lucy hadn't wound  to grown up to be a bit of a spoiled and entitled basket case teen constantly squabbling with J R (who wasn't above at  inappropriately ogling his own flesh and blood)  and  instead of the demure, perfect debutante, daughter-Miss Ellie-had-always-wanted, would Miss Ellie have attempted amends- much less admitted having been wrong?

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

No. Miss Ellie was crying because Bobby had just gotten sick and tired of J.R.’s games, and with the latest, Jock didn’t support him. So he and Pam were leaving for California in the second season finale that set up “Who Shot J.R.?”

She was crying because Bobby was leaving home. She would have been perfectly OK with Bobby being sick of JR as long as he still stuck around Southfork. Sue Ellen even said to JR, “Congratulations - you are now the Ewings’ only son.” Another weird quote that confirms that if a Ewing son leaves home, Ellie and Jock have somehow “lost” him.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Egg McMuffin said:

She was crying because Bobby was leaving home. She would have been perfectly OK with Bobby being sick of JR as long as he still stuck around Southfork. Sue Ellen even said to JR, “Congratulations - you are now the Ewings’ only son.” Another weird quote that confirms that if a Ewing son leaves home, Ellie and Jock have somehow “lost” him.

Yeah. That’s what I meant. Bobby and Pam were leaving home because of J.R.

I’ve stated this in the unpopular thread as well that I LOVED this show, except for the last three seasons, and I LOVED Miss Ellie and Jock-warts and all. Bobby was my favorite. And so not to veer off topic, I’ll leave it at no one will convince me they were awful terrible monsters or people.😉

But those that hate them are free to do so.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

Ellie Ewing was a very strange woman who considered herself to have “lost” a son if he moved out.

11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

In all fairness, Dallas was a soap opera, just a prime time one. Soaps are about on a par with sitcoms when it comes to having families practically lodged in each other's digestive tracts. Southfork was a whole ranch or something, and they still all lived in the same house.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

In all fairness, Dallas was a soap opera, just a prime time one. Soaps are about on a par with sitcoms when it comes to having families practically lodged in each other's digestive tracts. Southfork was a whole ranch or something, and they still all lived in the same house.

Yes it was! And it was appointment TV for me and my parents every Friday night!😁

• Love 4

Marina Thompson on Bridgerton. She’s a total schemer, doesn’t care about anyone’s feelings, will do screw over anyone, is unrealistic and impractical and is beloved by fandom because she’s played by a beautiful actress. Hate her. Discourse about this minor character has derailed discussion of the show.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

She’s a total schemer, doesn’t care about anyone’s feelings, will do screw over anyone, is unrealistic and impractical and is beloved by fandom because she’s played by a beautiful actress.

I don't think that's why people like her.  It's certainly not why I liked her.

• Love 1

Another weird quote that confirms that if a Ewing son leaves home, Ellie and Jock have somehow “lost” him.

Cut the cord, Ellie! Cut the damn cord already!

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Cut the cord, Ellie! Cut the damn cord already!

Agree! Or at the very least, try to make some effort to protect your more  vulnerable progeny from the clearly toxic firstborn one if you truly value having them under your roof! 

• Love 3

try to make some effort to protect your more  vulnerable progeny from the clearly toxic firstborn one if you truly value having them under your roof! 

And the wives of said progeny. Considering how most of Ellie's family either outright loathed Pam or at best showed nothing but disdain for her (in the earlier years), could you really blame Pam and Bobby for their attempts to move out?

• Love 7

Gibbs from NCIS. He's an asshole to everyone and treats everyone like crap. Of course, everyone "loves" him or excuses it his wife and daughter were killed. Everyone constantly cheerleader for him and saying his full name all the time. He'll lecture other people about taking the law into their own hands even a judge for being "judge, jury and executioner" even though he's done the same thing. He's broken the law and allowed his team to break the law many times to get suspects. He lectures Tony's dad about being a father and tells his barber's son (who's rightly pissed at his father for thinking he was a serial killer) that he only has one father. Even though Gibbs treated his own father like shit his entire life. When he obsesses over someone like Ari it's completely okay when Jenny obsesses over the Frog, she's wrong for doing so. His rules are annoying especially never to apologize. I'm not sure how he managed to get four women to marry him what an asshole he is. But he treated the last three like crap because they weren't Shannon. His preference over Abby wasn't annoying until she started to act like a child all the time. It's no surprising that his mentor Mike Franks was also an asshole.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

He lectures Tony's dad about being a father and tells his barber's son (who's rightly pissed at his father for thinking he was a serial killer) that he only has one father. Even though Gibbs treated his own father like shit his entire life.

It was really awkward when Gibbs' father visited and asked the team if his son ever talked about him and McGee told him they were told he was dead.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, festivus said:

I can't stand Gibbs! I started watching again now that we have Gary Cole. I quit sometime when Abby was still on the show because I couldn't stand her either. 

I used to watch this show with my father when he was in the rehab center (from an illness, not an addiction). Abby made me want to scream. A grown woman behaving like a child for her the attention of the father figure in her life. She was horrible. He was worse.

• Love 6

The whole team was terrible. di Nozzo, the bullying mysogynistic frat boy, the guy who gets bullied constantly (rookie?), the cliche women/girls. And then Gibbs, hypocrite, judgmental and a bully.

I think the only one I liked was the doctor. Who was friends with Gibbs, so ugh again.

I watched it for about 2 seasons? I don't remember why, though.

It mystifies me why this show ran so long. It's over, isn't it?

• Love 7
2 hours ago, supposebly said:

di Nozzo, the bullying mysogynistic frat boy

I've only seen the occasional episode here and there of "NCIS", but having learned more about Weatherly's behavior on that "Bull" show, his character on here reads even more offputting as a result. 

(And in the fanfic world, as a fan of "Criminal Minds", there was a lot of overlap between fans of that show and fans of "NCIS", and oh, lord, the way some people woobified the hell out of Tony... I think that turned me off a bit as well.)

Mainly, though, anytime I've seen an episode of "NCIS"', I just think it always looks like it's filmed in a really weird way. It bugs me, for some reason. 

• Love 5
(edited)
14 minutes ago, supposebly said:
3 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Renewed for season 20(!).

Oh for F's sake!🙄

Cockroaches are hard to kill, so are shows full of horrible characters apparently. 

Edited by Mabinogia
changed people to characters because not all the actors on the show are horrible.
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Oh for F's sake!🙄

18 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Cockroaches are hard to kill, so are shows full of horrible characters apparently. 

I've been thinking about starting this show.  How many seasons did you get before you thought it started to get really bad? 

It's possible that I've said this before, but when I'm working around the house and need background noise, if Criminal Minds is airing, I'll turn it on.  Lately, one station has been airing mini CM marathons and they're now on Season 2.  I can't stand Elle.  Even before her traumatic experience, I didn't care for her.  I don't know if it was the writing or the acting or both, but she always came across as playing up her toughness to prove that she was equal to the guys on the team.  I have no doubt that she was strong and didn't scare easily and could hold her own with the best of them (male or female), but the way she showed it made it seem like an act.

• Useful 2

The cases could be interesting, but I always felt the team interactions were modeled after a pack of dogs. They had an alpha (Gibbs, naturally) a beta (Tony) who put an inordinate amount of energy into sucking up to the alpha and trying to keep the others down, and Abby the Perennial Puppy whose main job seemed to be to amuse the alpha. I can't remember the sad sack's name but he was there mainly for Tony to dominate every chance he got.

The relationships finally got to me too much and even though the show still provides a never-ending wealth of procedurals to watch, I noped out years ago.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I've been thinking about starting this show.  How many seasons did you get before you thought it started to get really bad? 

The only character I really liked was Kate, so when Sasha Alexander left I only watched randomly but the more the show tried to make me think this was the greatest team of all time and Gibbs was super awesome, I just saw them as an annoying bunch of cliched characters. Please note, I am very influenced by whether or not I like the cast. It just wasn't a cast that really wowed me. Apparently the show is popular, given it's longevity, so give it a go, unless you're one of those "must watch to the bitter end" types, because if so, you might end up in a world of suffering you cannot escape from. haha

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Please note, I am very influenced by whether or not I like the cast. 

This is me with the shows I watch, too. I have to be invested in the characters/cast to some degree, feel the chemistry among everyone is believable, in order to get into a show.

• Love 4

I’m clearly biased. NCIS was spun off from one of my favorite shows JAG. Plus, two words: ❤️Mark Harmon❤️ who I have loved since my tween years.

The show was really good its first two or three years. Abby actually was a mature character who was Goth. And Perrette’s voice was in the lower/gravelly voice.

I watched just for Harmon and David McCallum’s Ducky. But I stopped watching a few years ago, and Harmon has left the show. I doubt he’ll be back next season. Gary Cole has taken the role of team leader.

• Useful 3

Personally I think Leon's the best one of the group.  Ellie should never have been an agent, DiNozzo was an ass, McGee & Jimmy are incompetent, Jenny was obsessed (& murderous), Nick is brooding, and Gibbs is a bully.  Ziva's ok I guess.

• Love 2

Ziva started to get on my nerves too. I did like Ducky. 

I basically endured NCIS because my grandparents watched it, and it always used to bewilder me that we would snark on other shows we watched together, but that one was off-limits for the snark. LOL 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I used to watch this show with my father when he was in the rehab center (from an illness, not an addiction). Abby made me want to scream. A grown woman behaving like a child for her the attention of the father figure in her life. She was horrible. He was worse.

16 hours ago, Zella said:

Sign me up as another one who couldn't stand Abby and her shtick. Most of the NCIS team actively annoyed me, but she was the worst for me. 

I liked Abby in the first couple seasons before she turned into a child. Whining to McGee about having to testify in court, being horrible to McGee because he shot the dog that bit him and then forced him to take the dog at the end of the episode and gets jealous every time McGee dates someone even though she won't date him. Trying to convince Tony and Ziva to give their fathers another chance because her father is dead and she'd give anything to see him again. Ah, Tony's father was mostly an absent father who skirt chased Ziva's father was also absent mostly and once left her to die when she held captive on a mission he sent her on. Both have legit reasons for wanting nothing to do with their fathers. 

12 hours ago, supposebly said:

The whole team was terrible. di Nozzo, the bullying mysogynistic frat boy, the guy who gets bullied constantly (rookie?), the cliche women/girls. And then Gibbs, hypocrite, judgmental and a bully.

I think the only one I liked was the doctor. Who was friends with Gibbs, so ugh again.

I watched it for about 2 seasons? I don't remember why, though.

It mystifies me why this show ran so long. It's over, isn't it?

They all really were. I liked Ziva because she could push back at Tony. Kate was nice while Tony bully and harassed her, she turned around to bully McGee sometimes with Tony, sometimes on her own. It's probably a good thing that she was killed off before she became as horrible as the rest of them. 

Ducky was the only good character they had. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Ducky was the only good character they had. 

I forgot abt Ducky.  He & Leon are the only ones worth watching for,  tho Kate & Ziva were fine their first year. 

• Love 3