Type keyword(s) to search

Loathesome!: Characters We Hate

• Start Topic

On 5/18/2021 at 12:31 PM, Katy M said:

While wearing a leather jacket no less.  I'm no leather expert, but I don't think salt water would do it any favors.

Yep, not just his leather jacket but  Fonzie also wore also his boots and socks! Out of all that, ONLY the socks might have been salvageable. LOL

P.S. This whole California based episode only happened when the producers asked Mr. Winkler what his hobbies were and he happened to mention waterskiing among others. 

P.P.S. How the Fonz did that and wound up NOT forever getting tagged a 'nerd' re his waterskiing attire is a mystery! 

• Love 3
On 5/29/2021 at 12:23 PM, Blergh said:

P.P.S. How the Fonz did that and wound up NOT forever getting tagged a 'nerd' re his waterskiing attire is a mystery! 

Because he's the Fonz! Aaayyyyyyy!👍

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9

Jamie on Cruel Summer is a douchebag. He doesn’t think twice about dumping Jeanette for Kate the second she’s found, and also automatically believes that Jeanette was involved with Kate’s disappearance enough to hit her. And then he still winds up making out with Jeanette behind her back, and had the nerve to try to gaslight Kate when she reveals that she saw them. Ugh!

• Love 1
(edited)

I was never a fan of Jesse. I thought they dumb down Dean (in season one, he did read books, just not at the level as Rory) to make Jesse the one for the audience to root for in the love triangle. While I was a fan of Dean and Rory & hated Jesse, I can agree with the argument that Dean and Rory ran its course. 

What I hated was Jesse treatment of a girl named Shane during the third season of GG. Shane was written as a bit of bitch and "easy," but she was still a teenager (I am assuming). Jesse was basically using this girl for PDA and a placeholder for Rory and the minute Rory was single, he dumped Shane. I know she was a stock character that I wasn't supposed to care about, but it had to sting when your steady boyfriend dumps you as soon as his crush, the princess of Stars Hollow, becomes available. We didn't get much, but we did see the aftermath of what happened with Lindsay after Dean's affair.  No one called out Jesse's treatment of that girl. I don't care that she was a bitch, she was human and Jesse was using her, and teenagers years is the time you call out that behavior so it doesn't become a pattern. 

I wish we got a scene of Rory finding out Lindsay and Shane becoming friends over their shared annoyance over being callous tossed aside for Rory. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 7

I liked Jess the first time I watched GG when I was a teenager, but when I rewatched the whole series few years ago, I was more critical of his treatment of Rory once they started dating and after he left the town. Plus I had to roll my eyes a bit when he apparently got this huge character development off-screen and came back as a well-adjusted adult just two seasons after being a complete mess. Not saying it can't happen, many people can turn their life around, but it would be more interesting to see it firsthand. Especially since GG was not known for characters becoming more mature (I still love the series a lot, but it's true). I think it would be better for both Jess and Rory if they stayed friends without any dating, but Jess seemed like the type of teenage boy who isn't capable of being friends with an atractive girl without crushing on her.

• Love 5

Yeah Jess was an ass to Rory. When he finally got her, he wound up treating her like dirt instead of being honest about her with his problems. And he ups and leaves town without a goodbye, then has the nerve to come back and keep storming off in a huff every time he saw her before he dropped that “I love you” bomb on her?

I’m glad that he eventually grew up and stopped being an asshole, but I hated how it implied in the Netflix show that he was still pining for her.

• Love 7
(edited)

I am rewatching  so there is a good chance that I ranted about Winona from Justified several times in this thread or it could all be in my head, I never thought she had great chemistry with Timothy Olyphant but I could legitimately never like her after she tries to stop Raylan from trying to save a child from a woman/family that murdered her daddy. I will also say Kaitlin Denver’s performance on season 2 of Justified should have got her cast as Katniss in the Hunger Games! (It was in the can when they actually were casting).

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I couldn't stand Ava or Winona.

Not an unpopular opinion. And Ava did crazy amount of shit that put people in harm but she still wouldn’t have just said “Raylan it’s not your problem” when a 13 year old girl went off to seek vengeance.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Not an unpopular opinion. And Ava did crazy amount of shit that put people in harm but she still wouldn’t have just said “Raylan it’s not your problem” when a 13 year old girl went off to seek vengeance.

Sigh, I am very reluctantly going to admit that I saw Winona’s point. She just found out she was pregnant and Raylan heads off to Harlan, where people want to kill him. And almost gets killed, first by Dickie and then by Doyle. So she wasn’t entirely off base. But the why I hate Winona column is still quite long. I mean, Gary? 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

She just found out she was pregnant and Raylan heads off to Harlan,

She was always living in unrealistic lalaland not only with Raylan but also with Gary where she wanted to fundamentally change their nature even though she also did shady ass shit when with both of them. It’s not like Raylan didn’t tell the cops that she was likely headed to Harlan and to call the local authorities to be on the lookout for her and knew her history. It also just wasn’t about Loretta, who again was an angry child who had been through so much shit, it was also about Helen and Boyd, but Winona chose to literally say to a Marshall who knew Loretta’s case and her dad’s murder weren’t sitting correct  that Loretta shouldn’t matter.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, biakbiak said:

She was always living in unrealistic lalaland not only with Raylan but also with Gary where she wanted to fundamentally change their nature even though she also did shady ass shit when with both of them. It’s not like Raylan didn’t tell the cops that she was likely headed to Harlan and to call the local authorities to be on the lookout for her and knew her history. It also just wasn’t about Loretta, who again was an angry child who had been through so much shit, it was also about Helen and Boyd, but Winona chose to literally say to a Marshall who knew Loretta’s case and her dad’s murder weren’t sitting correct  that Loretta shouldn’t matter.

Oh, absolutely, she was totally unrealistic with her expectations of how Raylan would act in the situation (and just in general about him being a Marshal). And she did have the grace to acknowledge that she knew what she was asking him to do was crappy. 

Now I want to go and watch the arc where she steals the evidence money so my level of Winona hatred rises to the appropriate level.

• Love 4

I watched Justified for the first time over the past few weeks and had to come over and cosign the Winona hate and Ava exasperation, though I really enjoyed the show otherwise.

I will give Ava credit for at least having an interesting character journey, though I often found myself frustrated with her decisions. 

But Winona just seemed to go in circles. I don't even blame the actress. I blame the writers. They had a lot of interesting female characters, so it's not like they couldn't write women, but it was like they were absolutely stymied on anything for her to do. Maybe the fact she wasn't a criminal is what stumped them, but even when she did criminal things, it made no damn sense. I also got so tired of the will-they-won't-they dance between her and Raylan. 

Ultimately, for a show that did such a good job otherwise of having long-reaching consequences for character actions, I thought Winona really got a pass on pretty much everything she did, and I think that was probably what frustrated me the most.  

• Love 8

Benjamin Linus. I never felt sorry for him at all, and hated that the show felt he deserved some sort of redemption when other characters who did far less didn't get any sort of redemption at all.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Benjamin Linus. I never felt sorry for him at all, and hated that the show felt he deserved some sort of redemption when other characters who did far less didn't get any sort of redemption at all.

Neither did I. He was horrible. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Sorry if someone mentioned this (I just skimmed and use CTRL+F but nothing turned up), but Abby Lockhart from ER will always top this category for me! To be honest I don’t know what Luka (or Carter, or anyone) saw in her or why she thought it was a good idea for her to have a child when she was such a hot mess. 

I totally understand Abby is an alcoholic but IMO, it came off (and her fans defend her like this too) that everyone else should just put up with Abby’s behavior and never question her and accept the fact that she didn’t want to get sober. Her husband and son, her AA sponsor, her coworkers (some of who were her friends too), and even her patients (she works drunk at one point in the series) were just basically expected to deal with her crap and the fact that she would not change. (I mean Luka even tells her that she endangered their child! And he took her back...why??!!) When fans of the character claim she took her recovery and sobriety seriously and insist that she and Luka are the picture of true love, I can’t help but laugh. I would bet if we checked in today, they’d be divorced and Abby’s probably drinking again. No way was she like her sponsor who had 12 years of sobriety and legit seemed to get her life back together. 

Plus her redemption took place in what feels like 12 minutes. She came out of all her despicable behavior with her marriage still intact, tons of attending job offers, and everyone still wanted to be her friend. Compare that to the standards Carter was held to earlier in the series. I read a book about recovering addicts in families recently, and it seemed like the families in that book needed time to trust the addicts in their lives and build new habits. But oh no. Abby was trusted again immediately. It felt way too far fetched.

Currently, I’m not a fan of Georgia’s mother Gwen on New Amsterdam and this custody battle she’s picking for no reason. I also don’t care about Floyd’s married OB girlfriend. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

He was a total love to hate for me. I thought he made a great villain and the actor was perfect in the role, but I agree about the redemption. He didn't deserve it nor did his character need it. They should have let him stay unrepentantly evil. It worked better that way. 

With Leverage: Redemption about to drop, I will add Nate Ford to this list. I feel like that's in UO but Tim Hutton always gave me an icky vibe. I didn't know why but I didn't enjoy him which meant I couldn't stand Nate Ford and his "I'm the greatest, coolest, smartest" vibe. I would have loved Leverage completely had Sterling been the lead instead. I am looking forward to the Hutton free version of the show though because I absolutely adore the rest of the team and everything else about the show. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Ben's the reason I kept watching Lost.

Sterling instead of Nate is a brilliant idea! Can we get a time machine and make it so? When does the new Leverage drop?

ETA: Answering my own question, apparently today on IMDB TV. That's my weekend sorted.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 3

Arggghhh!

Malachi on Longmire makes me homicidal!  I don’t care if Henry Standing Bear is a nice guy - just kill the Bastard!  That’s what I was yelling at my screen last night.

Jacob Nighthorse has become a sympathetic character, that’s how evil Malachi is.  Like Nighthorse said, he’s been scamming & stealing from his tribal people for decades, he brought heroin onto the Reservation, and has turned women native into prostitutes and profited off that.  

I hope he dies soon, and painfully!  (S5)

• Love 3
9 hours ago, dauntedistarious said:

Again another show I love but Danny from the king of queens. He was such a childish prick to Spence. 

I hated Danny so much.

I also hate Bonnie on Mom.  I don't know why everyone put up with her. 

• Love 5

I decided to try watching Chicago Med and I swear almost everyone on that show (except Dr. Charles and Sharon) is unlikeable. Natalie is way too invested in her  patients. Will violated a DNR. Reese seems harmless but probably shouldn’t be a doctor; she’s way too anxious. Maggie was obnoxious as Natalie’s birthing coach. I don’t know if I’m going to make it out of S1 unless it gets better. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I decided to try watching Chicago Med and I swear almost everyone on that show (except Dr. Charles and Sharon) is unlikeable. Natalie is way too invested in her  patients. Will violated a DNR. Reese seems harmless but probably shouldn’t be a doctor; she’s way too anxious. Maggie was obnoxious as Natalie’s birthing coach. I don’t know if I’m going to make it out of S1 unless it gets better. 

None of the characters on Chicago Med (with the exception of the 2 you listed) ever become anything close to likeable.  You should really quit while you are ahead because there's too much good TV out there to suffer.  It's not even a good show to hate-watch either.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Natalie is way too invested in her  patients

Natalie doesn’t give a shit about her patients. She just cares about being right all the time.

Med is the absolute worst. Full of charicatures and shitty characters who never get called out on anything. 

• Love 1
On 3/17/2021 at 11:01 AM, SmithW6079 said:
On 3/17/2021 at 8:58 AM, ifionlyknew said:

And can we please burn Mary's wardrobe.  When she was on BBT she had much better taste in clothes.

She's also 20-30 years older by the time TBBT takes place, so it makes sense that her wardrobe sense would mature.

Belted shirtwaist dresses were very popular among the small town church-going set in this time period. I had a couple of Sunday dresses like that as an older teenager the same years the show is taking place. About the only thing the show's aesthetic is missing is the big mall hair that would have already been on its way out in 1989 but would have still been lingering in smaller less forward thinking places like Medford is supposed to be.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I disliked both Bonnie and Christie, and watched primarily for the supporting characters.

When Bonnie had Christie to puncture her ego, they worked (such as it is). Once Christie was gone, Bonnie was an absolutely horrible person.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

I didn't like Bonnie or Christie either (both just horrible people) but the one I really couldn't stand was Violet. Wanna know why?? Because she made me want to defend Christie. And that's some unforgivable bullshit right there!

I'm pretty sure Violet's main reason for existing on the show was so Christie wouldn't be the worst character on the show. 

I didn't like any of the Plunketts and would have been perfectly happy if the Mom of the title was Marjorie and the rest of the ladies (excluding Bonnie and Christie) were her AA children. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Chucky has a lot of loathsome characters but the one I hate the most at the moment is Mayor Michelle Cross, Lexy’s mom. Not only is she a terrible mother but she’s a terrible mayor as well, trying to act like the town is still a safe place despite the recent murders by you-know-who, and shamelessly using the taxpayer’s money to repair her mansion.

Yes, Lexy herself is horrible, but seeing the way her mother treats her, it’s hard not to understand why she’s like that. It’s one thing to play favorites with her younger autistic sister Caroline. It’s quite another for her own mother to treat her like something she scraped off the bottom of her shoe; she even compares Lexy to “cheap silver on a mass-produced dinner plate.” Geez! Who says that about their DAUGHTER?!

Plus, as hateful as Lexy was, at least she’s realized it and is trying to change. The same can’t be said about Michelle. At this point, I’m rooting for Chucky to kill her.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I always hated Linus from Charlie Brown and Snoopy. He never was that great a friend to Charlie Brown; he hardly ever stood up for him and it was clear his stupid blanket meant more to him than anything.

Edited by Spartan Girl
53 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I always hated Linus from Charlie Brown and Snoopy. He never was that great a friend to Charlie Brown; he hardly ever stood up for him and it was clear his stupid blanket meant more to him than anything.

I can't say I ever considered that POV re Linus. However, as long as we're dissing Charlie Brown's peers, I think Shroeder was a bit hypocritical (and I'll detail why in the 'Hell No' Subforum).

• Love 4
18 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Amanda from The Highlander series (1992).

Every time I saw her face, I wanted to punch her.

Me, too.  I also didn't care much for Adam.  He's a pretentious know-it-all. OK, he's 5,000 years old, I'm sure he does at least almost know it all, but shut up.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Amanda from The Highlander series (1992).

Every time I saw her face, I wanted to punch her.

The main problem was that the show's PTB seemed to equate her being annoying as somehow charming. 

I realize that she was somewhat supposed to be a bit of comic relief (and would have worked best in very small doses)  but it was a mistake to have them make her the love interest- much less attempt to spin her off into her own series.

Of course, it didn't help that Elizabeth Gracen didn't attempt to give Amanda any accent (or demeanor)  besides a 1980's California Valley Girl who'd have been hard pressed to order a burrito at a Taco Bell much less able  speak anything but 1980's Valley speak. Sorry, but if a character is supposed to be centuries old and having lived in many parts of the world, at least TRY to muster some kind of Continental,etc. accent (to say nothing of demeanor) .  I mean, even when they  'flashbacked' with her being a 1920's US Midwestern flapper, she was totally over her head.

Edited by Blergh
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Blergh said:

I can't say I ever considered that POV re Linus. However, as long as we're dissing Charlie Brown's peers, I think Shroeder was a bit hypocritical (and I'll detail why in the 'Hell No' Subforum).

Agree about Schroeder and that’s why I don’t like Linus either. Not only did he crap on Charlie Brown as much as the others, he didn’t hesitate to screw him over where the Little Red-Haired Girl was concerned.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

While I thought Dr. Cox on "Scrubs" on the show's first run was funny, I can't watch him on repeats. He is just an awful, awful human being, and I don't find his abuse of JD or Elliott to be funny in any way. 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 3

I don't know if I've posted this before on this thread, but I really came to hate Riley on Buffy. The guy really was a byword for codependent toxic relationships, getting upset because Buffy didn't rely on him the way he wanted her to.

When your girlfriend's mom has cancer and is struggling to deal with it, your job is to just be there for her the way she asks you. Don't get huffy because she doesn't want to break down and cry in front of you--she doesn't owe you her literal tears. Let her process her grief and anxiety in her own way, and let her open up to you when she's ready. It's not about you. And most importantly, don't go around getting sucked off by vampires behind her back, then blame her for it!

• Love 17
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I don't know if I've posted this before on this thread, but I really came to hate Riley on Buffy. The guy really was a byword for codependent toxic relationships, getting upset because Buffy didn't rely on him the way he wanted her to.

He wanted to be her "white knight" and rescue her from the big bad world. I hate guys who think they need to rescue women in order to be "a man". Nope, you just have to be there when she needs you and give her space when she needs that. Just like she should do for you. 

Honestly, I used to love the show but the more I think about it the more I realize I hated most of the characters by the end. Still loved Buffy, Giles, Anya and Cordelia. The rest can go jump in a Hell Mouth for all I care. 

• Love 9
On 2/9/2022 at 6:04 PM, Mabinogia said:

He wanted to be her "white knight" and rescue her from the big bad world. I hate guys who think they need to rescue women in order to be "a man". Nope, you just have to be there when she needs you and give her space when she needs that. Just like she should do for you. 

And throughout their whole relationship, he made a point of mansplaining Buffy’s own feelings to her. Like he thought he knew what she needed better than she did. That, people, is a big red flag.

• Love 4