Type keyword(s) to search

Loathesome!: Characters We Hate

• Start Topic

(edited)
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I've really come to hate Gregory House. I love Hugh Laurie, but at some point the biting one liners wear on your nerves. There's only so much asshole you can take.

Come sit with me. 🙂 I endured years of House because my brother insisted on watching it. And it should have been right up my alley, but I loathed House himself. I love a lot of terrible characters, but I didn't find him fun or amusing. I just thought he was an asshole and not a particularly interesting one. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I've really come to hate Gregory House. I love Hugh Laurie, but at some point the biting one liners wear on your nerves. There's only so much asshole you can take.

4 hours ago, Zella said:

Come sit with me. 🙂 I endured years of House because my brother insisted on watching it. And it should have been right up my alley, but I loathed House himself. I love a lot of terrible characters, but I didn't find him fun or amusing. I just thought he was an asshole and not a particularly interesting one. 

I agree. I only made it through a handful of episodes because he was an asshole. 

• Love 3

I used to watch House and kinda liked it until about season 4, maybe 5, I think. I recently started it again on Amazon Prime and barely made it into season 2. There was a humanity to him at the very beginning that seems to disappear fast in favor of more and more outrageous behavior.

Having said that, some of the scenes at the clinic with weird and stupid patients are still rather funny.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, supposebly said:

I used to watch House and kinda liked it until about season 4, maybe 5, I think. I recently started it again on Amazon Prime and barely made it into season 2. There was a humanity to him at the very beginning that seems to disappear fast in favor of more and more outrageous behavior.

Having said that, some of the scenes at the clinic with weird and stupid patients are still rather funny.

To be fair to the show, I don't know what seasons I watched. I just remember never liking the character, but I very well could have only been watching mid to late season episodes. We watched it as reruns rather than in real time. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I liked House the first year or so when it was all about calling in the misanthrope who had no real interest in helping people, but could be counted on to solve the most difficult medical mysteries because they were interesting. I've always imagined there were people in medicine who were drawn to it mainly for the science and wondered what that would look like drama-wise and House was it.

Then, instead of sticking with that, they made him more and more outrageously assholic until he became a stand-in for viewers who wished they too could do anything they wanted professionally with no consequences. The pill popping, actively messing with peoples' minds for fun, and the endless aggressive flirting with the administrator finally killed it for me after about 4 seasons. Not sorry.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, CoderLady said:

The pill popping, actively messing with peoples' minds for fun, and the endless aggressive flirting with the administrator finally killed it for me after about 4 seasons.

I finally bounced when they decided to get rid of the old ducklings and replace them with new ducklings but the thing with Cuddy was always pushing me out the door. In fact, she might be worse to me than House.  House worked as a misanthrope asshole doctor. I can believe a genius doctor would be able to keep his job even though he was a jerk.  But having Cuddy all woobie over House made her a terrible administrator and I could never buy she was good at her job because of it. 

• Love 10
43 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

But having Cuddy all woobie over House made her a terrible administrator and I could never buy she was good at her job because of it. 

I fucking hated it that they hooked up.* House was a loathsome character but I still liked the show. He was a drug addict that did the terrible shit to people he supposedly cared about like addicts do. I thought it was interesting as in 'how much do we let someone like that get away with just because they're brilliant'.

*Letting him get way with shit was one thing because he did save patients but having romantic feelings for him, that I couldn't buy.

• Love 6
On 7/21/2020 at 5:47 PM, Camille said:

Not to mention his stalking and harassing of Laura that lasts for a DECADE and culminates in him finally getting her. What a great way to promote this kind of behavior.

I'm joining in with those who hate GH's Carly. I've hated her since she debuted on the show. The sad thing is, in her early years, she had a legitimate streak of vulnerability and self-loathing that kept me from hating her completely, but at some point, that was erased and she became this completely obnoxious bullying bitch who thought she was better than everyone and was ready to get into a fight with everyone. In particular, verbally and physically assaulting any woman who dared to even talk to a man she was involved with or interested in and branding them a slut or a tramp--making her a complete hypocrite too, because if anyone defined the word "slut", it was her.

While arguing with someone on YouTube on the merits of Carly, it occurred to me one of the reasons I hate her but enjoyed Tracy Q and Helena Cassadine, no matter how much they ruined that character. Carly will betray people that she says she cares about and won't apologize, ever even years down the line. The reason why Carly was able to drug AJ was because AJ thought he and Carly were close friends. After Michael was sent to prison, Lulu came to make peace with Carly because Carly blamed her and Dante for Michael going to jail. If she told Lulu to go screw herself and cut of any communication, I would have respected it, instead she lulls Lulu into a false sense of security . When Brook Lynn finally outed the secret, Carly lied and said the reason she plotted against her was because she cared about Lulu, when she wanted to hurt Lulu and Dante. The worst part, she never suffers any consequences for these lies. People, even people she screwed over except for AJ, continue to blindly trust her and help her. 

• Love 3

I just finished season 3 of Homeland and I'm so glad this Brody saga is over. I don't know if the writers really thought they could get us to care about him and Carrie (who is my least favorite character) but didn't work for me.  The only reason I'm going to start watching the next season is because I like the supporting cast, especially Mandy Patinkin, but I'm hanging by a thread. Someone please tell me it gets better now that they're moving on to another story line. I'm skeptical because it looks like now we'll have Carrie as the 

Spoiler

bipolar, single, mother who is in a high stress job where she repeatedly goes rogue and gets away with it.

• Love 2

I wound up quitting Gotham back in season three because Lee, who was a character I initially liked, turned into a loathsome whiny little twat a la Lana Lang.

And I now pretty much hate Randy Marsh on South Park, which has led me to finally quit the show, or at least stop watching it until this pandemic ends. 

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I wound up quitting Gotham back in season three because Lee, who was a character I initially liked, turned into a loathsome whiny little twat a la Lana Lang.

I actually liked her when she went rogue and hooked up with Riddler. It was so disappointing that they put her back with Jim as they were the worst.

• Love 2

I know I went over other reasons why I disliked the character of Riley Matthews on  Girl Meets World before but I just thought of more reasons I disliked her so I hope these are worth other Forum members bearing with me.

1. When she decided to go Goth after she freaked out over the stupid yearbook folks in 'Girl Meets Yearbook'  declaring Lucas and Maya to be the perfect couple, it wasn't just a case of she herself being sad but she went so far as to claim that life itself  was a futile thing since everyone dies in the end. Now that alone should have gotten Cory and Topanga to send her to a shrink ASAP for possible suicidal tendencies. However, what was even more troubling to me was that it wasn't a case of ' I'm miserable but it's okay for everyone else to decide for themselves whether to be happy or not' but  she was openly campaigning for everyone else in her class (and life ) to be every bit as depressed and miserable as she herself was. Someone needed to call her on wanting to drag everyone else down with her  instead of (as usual) catering to her and begging her to change back!  Oh, and I got the impression her 'normal' mode of supposedly wanting others to be happy was more that she wanted everyone (especially Maya) to think they had zero chance at happiness unless SHE(Riley)   was solely responsible for it rather than a genuine liking for anyone else to be  happy via autonomous means. Yep, IMO, not nearly as nice as she wanted others to think she was. 

2. Her constant "Bay Window!" summonses for her peers to congregate to her room ASAP whenever she wanted to talk to them about . ..whatever. These were always commands with no options for the others to decline. She didn't say 'I'd like us to talk so could you please come by the Bay Window if you can spare the time?" or " I look forward to seeing you at the Bay Window if you want to join me for a chat!'" . Just once I'd have liked one of her peers to have told her that she needed to ASK rather than command them if she wanted them to drop by.  Even a" I can't make it just now. I've got practice/ to pick a carton of milk,etc'  or "I'd rather have a root canal than heed your summons!" would have been more satisfying than what we got of everyone just instantly buzzing towards her like workers to a queen bee without even questioning much less raising any objections.

• Love 4
On 6/4/2020 at 12:51 AM, Ambrosefolly said:

Jason Morgan from General Hospital. His Mary Sueness is so pervasive that I think that the Mary Sue counterpart, Marty Stu or Gary Stu, should be renamed in his honor. Watch the YouTube clip with former head writer Robert Guza and Steve Burton, Jason Morgan's portrayer, you can totally see that Jason is Robert's Guza Mary Sue:his ideal self and there to fulfill his power fantasy vs telling a story. Even when the guy is stealing other people's wives and biological son, he still written as the hero. The guy works as a hitman and even the soap press says that "he only kills bad people" despite the times his boss, Sonny Cornithos, has openly talked about or given the order about killing people the audience knows are innocent

I've hated him from the day he opened his eyes and immediately set about treating nearly everyone in his family as well as his girlfriend like garbage. 

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

I've hated him from the day he opened his eyes and immediately set about treating nearly everyone in his family as well as his girlfriend like garbage. 

He was such an ass to them. Constantly talking like they were the worse. Sure Jason was a hit man but the Quartermaines were the worse. They did nothing to deserve that. Then of course him stealing AJ's son and getting pissed at Robin for telling AJ the truth. He was such an asshole.

• Love 5
On 6/9/2020 at 10:13 AM, BlackberryJam said:

So I've been doing a rewatch of Haven. I didn't think I could ever do it because the series ended so poorly, but well...pandemic. I really enjoyed S1, Emily Rose was ...uneven, but the stories were good, the MotW format with the overarching story was interesting. I loved S2 and all of the characters (Dwight!)...until about the last ten minutes of the season finale when Nathan Wuornos turned into a total asshole. 

In the S2 finale, Nathan decides that because he found Duke Crocker's necklace in Audrey Parker's apartment, it must have been Duke who kidnapped Audrey. Now, Duke had spent two seasons reluctantly helping Nathan and Audrey, always coming through with the MotW and generally proving himself to be a reliable, if roguish, guy. Nathan had spent those seasons picking through false clues and learning to look beyond the obvious.

So when Nathan decides Duke is the EVUL who must have taken Audrey, it just doesn't flow. It's from that point that Nathan's response to every situation is "Duke did it!" In S2, Nathan asks Duke to come with them to protect Audrey and Duke comes every single time. In the first part of the S2 finale, he watches as Duke very specifically refuses to kill a man even when that man is begging for Duke to do it. He sees how Duke reacts when that man impales himself on a knife Duke is holding. Duke is very obviously distraught. So much so that when Nathan goes to accuse Duke of taking Audrey, Duke is morosely drinking on his own. But NO, Nathan must beat up Duke because Duke OBVIOUSLY kidnapped Audrey, I mean, not that he had any reason to or anything. 

In S3, over and over again Duke says and proves that he's not like his father, and Nathan acts like a petulant school boy, stamping his feet and screaming, "But Duke is BAD!" It's ridiculous and stupid. On top of that, it's revealed over and over that Duke has always been the one helping Nathan out. Eight year old Duke carried broken arm Nathan to the hospital. When Nathan was at a low, thinking of leaving the police force, it's Duke who gives Nathan an anonymous tip that saves his career. 

And Nathan becomes the worst boyfriend ever. He manipulates one supremely damaged woman (Jordan) romantically. He stops respecting Audrey and either withholds vital information from her or refuses to accept her decisions. He tries over and over to take away her agency.

Then, to top it all off, he travels back in time, meets another version of Audrey (Sarah), one with a totally different personality, knows her for less than 5 hours, bangs her and impregnates her. In the S3 finale, he reveals this to Audrey and says, "it was a way for me to be with you." (Also in the time travel episode, Nathan is insistent that Duke kill his own grandfather without any thought that Duke might struggle with that. And this is the Duke that came out to help Nathan secretly bury Nathan's father.)

HOLY FUCK. Seriously, "I fucked a woman who looked like you (but with a bad red wig) because I couldn't actually be with you and you should consider this proof of my love for you." Strangely, Audrey is not wholly disgusted with him. WTF?

In S4, he's petulant, whiny, angry, and keeps wanting to leave people in danger because AUDREY. I mean, not that Audrey's sole mission while in Haven was to help the people there or anything. Let's just ignore everything Audrey stood for in the favor of twu wuv. Nathan is willing to terrorize a woman with mental illness (Jennifer) to get information about Audrey. Now, Jennifer isn't a crook or anything, she's just a nice, slightly hapless young woman who hears voices. I cannot even count the number of times Nathan shoves a gun in someone's (usually Duke's) face.

And in S5, Nathan and Audrey are played out like some love story across time, space and dimensions. In the end, and I'll spoiler tag this for those who may want to watch the show (and believe me, S1&2 are SO GOOD.) 

Reveal spoiler

Audrey goes away forever. Then months later Nathan runs in to a fifth woman (Paige) [there was a third in S4 (Lexie) and fourth in S5 (Mara)] in the Audrey body and who has yet another personality and it's implied he's going to romance her. So he will have had sex with the same body that has three different personalities. And that's a love story. 

Nathan Wuornos is the horrific, controlling asshole boyfriend that every woman should avoid. I hate him so much. Well...not the S1 and most of S2 Nathan. And maybe that's why I hate what he became. 

And I'm not saying every other character in the show was some paragon or is perfectly written. Audrey is mostly well done, but Emily Rose's acting is...well, uneven is the best I can say. I just imagine what Tatiana Maslany would have done with the role, but she's the gold standard for playing clones. Duke Crocker is a bit too much of the stereotypical charming rogue/thief, but at least he's consistent in his characterization.

All this to say, fuck Nathan Wuornos. Fuck him. He sucks. 

Oh, good.  Someone else who despises Nathan.  I'm not so alone in the world.  Then again I don't like Nathan because I just plain don't like guys named Nathan or Nate.  Personal reasons.

• Love 1
On 9/16/2020 at 11:15 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I checked out of that show within half a dozen episodes, when it became clear that kid Bruce Wayne was going to be a major part of it. The concept of a down and dirty cop show, set in Gotham City, was cool. Yet another Batman adaptation was not.

It didn't help that everyone gushed over the Penguin character, like people do over charismatic villains, and acted like he should be the main feature.

• Love 2

I NEVER liked Smallville's Lana Lang! Her bragging in the very first episode about wearing a jewel made from the very same meteorite that had killed her parents in front of her creeped me out/turned me off. I suppose we viewers were supposed to be impressed by that but it sure had the opposite effect on me .   I wasn't able to get through the first season since they kept trying to make her  out as 'all that' instead of simply a teen flirtation of Clark's that he had no real problems leaving behind before  meeting up with  Metropolis's Lois Lane! Then again, I didn't like Clark being a whiny ingrate to his struggling  parents instead of the original premise of someone who had loved his parents and wanted to do right by his widowed mother by heeding her pleas to make his way in the world in Metropolis !

• Love 3

Right now I’m loathing the archangel Michael on Lucifer.  He messes with everyone’s fear, creating chaos and turning Maze to betray Lucifer again, and causing Dan to see the real Lucifer & shooting him.

• Love 3
On 9/27/2020 at 5:15 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I'm pretty sure all of us hated Lana Lang.

So who was propping up that character? The same hidden   tribe of Kardasian and Progressive Flo lovers that no one seems to have actually met, perhaps?

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Blergh said:

So who was propping up that character? The same hidden   tribe of Kardasian and Progressive Flo lovers that no one seems to have actually met, perhaps?

You can blame the showrunners Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, aka Almiles for that. She was their creator's pet literally from the beginning.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Apathy said:

You can blame the showrunners Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, aka Almiles for that. She was their creator's pet literally from the beginning.

Because they thought she was hot.

i referred to her as the Pink Pestilence in the show’s thread.

Did you know her parents were

flattened like pancakes

by the meteor shower?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Lana Lang Actually gave me Joey Potter vibes with both parents being out of the picture. Both characters equally Mary Sue Esque. I think thanks to Pacey/Joey ship Joey was a lot more popular than Lana was.

I hate when the writers become so fixated on one character though that no matter what happens they always have to be in the right (even when they’re so freaking wrong it’s infuriating) and the show needs to mostly revolve around them. Peyton Sawyer is another example of that although I’m less hard on her now given the real life stories of how disgusting the Creator of One Tree Holl was with the actress. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I've started a rewatch of Schitt's Creek, and I'm reminded how much I love the show--and hate Roland Schitt. From the moment he appeared on my screen, I've found him unfunny, annoying, and a waste of TV time. During this rewatch, I fast-forward almost every scene he's in. I don't know if it's the actor or the writing. The fact that a hick mayor exists and interacts with the Roses is fine. But watching and listening to Roland is a painful experience for me.  Even some of the "sillier" side characters--Twyla, Jocelyn, Bob, or Ray, for example, are tolerable in small doses. But I want no doses of Roland. 

• Love 9

I just started watching and I can't agree more. I think it's partially the actor since I remember him from "There's something about Mary" and he played a rather disgusting character there that I somehow never forgot. And then it's just Roland. He's not just a hick, he's a terrible person.

I'm sure Chris Elliott is a lovely person but I just can't deal with passive aggressive Roland.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, topanga said:

I've started a rewatch of Schitt's Creek, and I'm reminded how much I love the show--and hate Roland Schitt. From the moment he appeared on my screen, I've found him unfunny, annoying, and a waste of TV time. During this rewatch, I fast-forward almost every scene he's in. I don't know if it's the actor or the writing. The fact that a hick mayor exists and interacts with the Roses is fine. But watching and listening to Roland is a painful experience for me.  Even some of the "sillier" side characters--Twyla, Jocelyn, Bob, or Ray, for example, are tolerable in small doses. But I want no doses of Roland. 

My son convinced me to try Schitt's Creek again. I didn't make it through the 1st episode, but he said it keeps getting better and that he agrees with others who told me to hang in until episode 4.  Now, I'm really enjoying it, but I hate that character.  He brings the show down every time he's in a scene, imo. 

• Love 4
On 8/1/2020 at 11:59 AM, Ambrosefolly said:

While arguing with someone on YouTube on the merits of Carly, it occurred to me one of the reasons I hate her but enjoyed Tracy Q and Helena Cassadine, no matter how much they ruined that character. Carly will betray people that she says she cares about and won't apologize, ever even years down the line. The reason why Carly was able to drug AJ was because AJ thought he and Carly were close friends. After Michael was sent to prison, Lulu came to make peace with Carly because Carly blamed her and Dante for Michael going to jail. If she told Lulu to go screw herself and cut of any communication, I would have respected it, instead she lulls Lulu into a false sense of security . When Brook Lynn finally outed the secret, Carly lied and said the reason she plotted against her was because she cared about Lulu, when she wanted to hurt Lulu and Dante. The worst part, she never suffers any consequences for these lies. People, even people she screwed over except for AJ, continue to blindly trust her and help her. 

Tracy and Helena were written as characters you weren't supposed to root for.  They were supposed to be people you loved to hate. But they portray Carly as someone the audience is supposed to view as a heroine  Shows doing that shit is why I can't rewatch the Sopranos. I have no problem watching a character who isn't a good person but I do have a problem with the not good person being portrayed like they are.

Also my dislike of Carly fluctuated with who was playing her.  I was more forgiving of Sara Brown's Carly but outright despised Tamara Braun's Carly. I had given up GH by the time Laura Wright was playing her.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, ifionlyknew said:

I was more forgiving of Sara Brown's Carly

Sarah Brown definitely added a vulnerability. She still did terrible things, but you could see that it was at least partly driven by her insecurities and you could almost feel sorry for her.  Current Carly is just smug.

• Love 3

I'll join the I hated Lana club too. She got so annoying as the show went on. I didn't mind the story when she started dating Lex as he could have her, if it meant Clark would finally move on. Which of course he doesn't. I still wish they had her die at the end of the season by something not directly but somewhat caused by Lex. Then her death would set up his final turn to the darkside. But nope, instead Lana sticks around and sucks up many more scenes before finally getting written off in a really stupid way. But it took way to long to get rid of her. 

Edited by blueray
  • Love 3

I hate gail on letterkenney. She's the only character on their I don't like.  Her choreaform movements and weird constant sexual advances.      Hate her

Logan on the original veronica mars/first 3 seasons. . He was ok in the reboot/ season 4 but they just kind of transitioned him to a stock character with little role.  Could not stand him and veronica together though the first 3 seasons.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, blueray said:

I'll join the I hated Lana club too. She got so annoying as the show went on. I didn't mind the story when she started dating Lex as he could have her, if it meant Clark would finally move on. Which of course he doesn't. I still wish they had her die at the end of the season by something not directly but somewhat caused by Lex. Then her death would set up his final turn to the darkside. But nope, instead Lana sticks around and sucks up many more scenes before finally getting written off in a really stupid way. But it took way to long to get rid of her. 

I like to look at the silver lining that eventually, we were finally rid of Lana. I mean, they certainly could’ve decided to keep her the whole time.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I like to look at the silver lining that eventually, we were finally rid of Lana. I mean, they certainly could’ve decided to keep her the whole time.

Sadly I’d say that was more to do with the actress wanting out the an it was the writers realising how insufferable she was.

• Love 1
On 9/30/2020 at 6:34 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Who the hell would make a necklace out of meteorite that killed their parents anyway? I know people grieve in different ways, but that just seems so morbid and sick.

Makes me think of the Orichalcos stones in Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series:

"I turned it into a cute necklace to remember you, my love."
"You know that thing takes people's souls and I found it on a dead guy, right?"

"Embracing the magic of the Orichalcos had revealed humanity's true nature and ravaged the person I loved. So I did what any reasonable person would do: I embraced the magic of the Orichalcos."
"Well, that checks out."

"So let me get this straight: you lived in a nice place, some rocks fell from the sky, the place wasn't so nice anymore, so now you're using those rocks to kill everybody?"

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
15 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Everyone who hates Prince Charles on The Crown, please raise your hand.

imagine one direction GIF

I think Peter Morgan hates Prince Charles and wants to sink his Kingship, considering how close he is to being king now. It took decades for the public to forgive Charles and Camilla by extension, and Charles has treaded very lightly in regards with his sons and the public about Diana. Peter Morgan's excuse for not putting up the disclaimer is he thinks it captures the "spirit" of the events. Even made for television movies that work directly with their subject puts the disclaimer in front, and all PM is doing is basing the Crown on rumors. This is why I disagree with some reviewers that say The Crown doesn't need a disclaimer, because "clearly it's fiction". And fuck Omid Scobie for blaming the victim because Peter Morgan contacted them about putting their input into the show. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

For the record, I am fully aware that The Crown is fictionalized/dramatized. Whether or not it should have a disclaimer is up for debate. But maybe I should make myself clearer: I hate the character of Prince Charles in The Crown.

• Love 9