Type keyword(s) to search

Season Five Episode Talk

Fruitcake is nasty but I wouldn’t mind having Douglas’ dessert. It sounded delightful. I’m happy with either Doug or Lerome winning. I hope they all are able to do some pretty holiday decorations on their finals. 

• Love 4

I liked Chantal but it was pretty clear that she'd be the one eliminated.  That dessert looked awful and apparently didn't taste great.  Those black lacy tights she had on did her no favors.  Yike.

I like Lerome but Douglas has been the front runner since the beginning.  I hope he wins.  

• Love 6

As someone who makes her mother's fruitcake every year, those store bought ones are atrocious. The fact that they even said it seemed more like a paste, there's too much syrup/juice added to those(& whatever preservative crap they add, & no it's not real alcohol). That makes them sickly sweet, plus having the fruit in it.  This twist actually seemed decent considering they all had part of the ingredients included already. I also think they pretty much did a good job. Chantal's problem was in the execution. I'm excited for next week!

• Love 2

Chantal was one of my early favorites, but her main dessert last night was a mess so I'm good with the three remaining bakers.  I am rooting for Douglas, then Lerome, then Sarah.  Sarah's been improving over the course of the season, but I would still be shocked if she won.

I made fruitcake from Mary Berry's recipe last year for my sister.  I'm still not a fruitcake fan, but homemade is light years better than the glop they sell in stores.  Using them as part of a cookie or ice cream was very creative!  I was shocked Lerome just stuck a spoonful into his lemon cream.

They don't throw the twist at the bakers in the finale, correct?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Frost said:

Chantal was one of my early favorites, but her main dessert last night was a mess so I'm good with the three remaining bakers.  I am rooting for Douglas, then Lerome, then Sarah.  Sarah's been improving over the course of the season, but I would still be shocked if she won.

I made fruitcake from Mary Berry's recipe last year for my sister.  I'm still not a fruitcake fan, but homemade is light years better than the glop they sell in stores.  Using them as part of a cookie or ice cream was very creative!  I was shocked Lerome just stuck a spoonful into his lemon cream.

They don't throw the twist at the bakers in the finale, correct?

Not usually but last year they did.  They made them make mini desserts.  I almost think if it was going really good so they threw a twist in to shake it up.

"Umm... we can't taste the olive oil in your cookies." Does anyone want to taste olive oil in their cookies? Ugh.

Yeah, I don't care who wins. They're all acceptable.

Fruitcake is the nastiest thing ever. I don't see a way to make that taste good. The ice cream was probably the best way to go with it. If I would have been there I'd have served it deep fried on a stick as my form of protest.

• Love 16

Sarah has a terrible poker face.  Also she put a towel on the stove when she was cooking her burnt reduction and it was giving me palpitations thinking she was going to start a fire.

I was concerned for a minute that Lerome was going home because they did so many interviews with him but then I saw Chantal’s second dessert and yeah.  When Duff is complaining that it’s a structural nightmare there’s not much chance to come back from that.

Argh Douglas wins again with a not holiday decoration!  I get he can make things taste great but presentation is also part of the challenge grr.

But if Lerome doesn’t win I would be cool with Douglas.

• Love 6

The only non-homemade fruit cake I can eat is one from the Collins Street Bakery. It's about 80% pecans and no candied citron. Yum!

Chantal's talking heads also made me suspicious that she was a goner. After I saw what she made, I was sure. A shame. I like her.

I think Doug's primary problem with the decoration was making the trees (?) too bright a green. If he made them a darker, more fir-like green, I think it would have looked more Christmas-y.

I nearly yelled when Lerome plopped that little fruitcake blob in his lemon cream. Why didn't he just stick with the shortbread cookies???? I don't think they really give the bakers that much credit for using ingredients in more than one element, so why take the chance? Well, at least, it didn't cause him to be eliminated.

• Love 4

I know Nancy was saying the texture was "challenging" as a euphemism/trying to lighten the blow, but for me as a viewer it was as useless as her saying "bad". Like, hello I am at home watching on television and have no way of knowing what is wrong with it say maybe paint a picture for me?

• Love 5

when Chantel 's cookie-cake ricocheted from the plate to their lap and floor when trying to eat it - I knew she was in trouble.. Ooppss !

I fast forward thru this show. I like the pre heat better than the main challenge.  I'm over all of their "stories" about their families/holidays/Christmas in their past lives - its like every aspect of the challenge they can recall , on a dime, the most perfect time when someone baked (usually together) something... really...

I'm even thinking the pictures, this time on the stage fridge (I guess FN was trying to show an old time fridge/pantry) were photo shopped to have a christmas/winter background. Yes we all have our old pix, somewhere but it to find it to send it in, and again here we go with a story just just happens to be holiday time. that brings a person to emotional tears.... m'kay... someone pass them a tissue...

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, carrps said:

I think Doug's primary problem with the decoration was making the trees (?) too bright a green. If he made them a darker, more fir-like green, I think it would have looked more Christmas-y.

I thought it looked like the fake grass they sometimes use in pre-packaged sushi.  I was trying to think of a way to make it look less weird... even if he'd done it in all white it probably would've come across better

• Love 9
On 12/11/2018 at 11:42 AM, festivus said:

"Umm... we can't taste the olive oil in your cookies." Does anyone want to taste olive oil in their cookies? Ugh.

Personally, I would never use anything except a light olive oil in sweet baking, and you'd never taste it anyway.  Extra virgin is simply too strong tasting unless the flavor is intended to be present, such as in a savory baked good like foccacia or something similar. 

• Love 5

A few episodes back, Nancy hit on a good point with the little bites that Lorraine takes. They are so small that there is no way that she is getting the full flavor of all the ingredients together. Lorraine's small bites bug me way more than they should.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Feline Queen said:

I love fruitcake but only the one made by Claxton. Last night's challenge made we want to break into my stash.

Just googled,and they include candied citrus peel. No bueno for me.

4 hours ago, ruffy666 said:

I thought it looked like the fake grass they sometimes use in pre-packaged sushi.  I was trying to think of a way to make it look less weird... even if he'd done it in all white it probably would've come across better

A mix of darker green and white? Snow on trees?

As soon as I saw Chantal's ... thing ... I knew she was toast. It looked like a cheeseburger. 

At least she won HER FIRST EVER advantage round (not too heavily telegraphed) ... 

Team Lerome but would be fine with Douglas. Sarah inexplicably bugs me. 

• Love 5

I can see Sarah going into this with the idea of becoming a FN somebody.  Her personality is just perky enough, and she's certainly cute, that I can see her being brought back in some other format, competitor  or judge.  Damiano (sp?) didn't win his season, but he's back as a cookie judge, and that guy who won Best Baker is a gingerbread judge, can't remember his name.  Of course, Jason, last season's winner is spreading his homespun Kentuckiness all over, I'm not complaining, I like him.  Just a thought about Sarah, I could see FN doing something  with her in the future.  

I personally liked Douglas' decoration on his fruitcake thingy.  They said it looked springy but green is also a Christmas color, maybe if he'd added some red it would have made them happy.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, sATL said:

I'm over all of their "stories" about their families/holidays/Christmas in their past lives - its like every aspect of the challenge they can recall , on a dime, the most perfect time when someone baked (usually together) something... really...

I'm even thinking the pictures, this time on the stage fridge (I guess FN was trying to show an old time fridge/pantry) were photo shopped to have a christmas/winter background. Yes we all have our old pix, somewhere but it to find it to send it in, and again here we go with a story just just happens to be holiday time. that brings a person to emotional tears.... m'kay... someone pass them a tissue...

I'm under the impression that part of the casting process is to confirm they have such photos and stories, and any prospective contestants who did not (or could not come up with some when pressed) would not have been cast.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, trudysmom said:

Of course, Jason, last season's winner is spreading his homespun Kentuckiness all over, I'm not complaining, I like him. 

I don't. I find him over-the-top annoying and playing up the Kentuckiness to an obnoxious extent. I turn the channel whenever I see him.

• Love 10
17 hours ago, trudysmom said:

Of course, Jason, last season's winner is spreading his homespun Kentuckiness all over, I'm not complaining, I like him.  Just a thought about Sarah, I could see FN doing something  with her in the future.  

Oh my gosh, I'd forgotten about Colonel Cornpone! 

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I agree, I'm also sick of everything having to have a cutesy story connected to it, and be inspired by something.     My story would be, "I came to bake and win $50k". 

"...and I brought sharp knives and lots of booze!"

As the youngest child of four, I would be hard-pressed to have many photos of my childhood at all, much less pictures of me baking with anyone.  Perhaps I could tell the more realistic story of my mother shuddering and refusing to eat concoctions I made in my Easy-Bake-Oven.

• Love 8

You guys are the best! I love all of you!!! I am so going to miss everybody when the finale is over and there is no reason to log on here. :(. Everyone is nice, says the truth without being rude, everyone is funny in the most perfect of ways, and I am so happy that I get to "know" all of you!!! Thank you for being just awesome!

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, jlc said:

You guys are the best! I love all of you!!! I am so going to miss everybody when the finale is over and there is no reason to log on here. :(. Everyone is nice, says the truth without being rude, everyone is funny in the most perfect of ways, and I am so happy that I get to "know" all of you!!! Thank you for being just awesome!

Hey, we’ll all meet up on the Spring Baking Championship forum in a few months to critique the contestants, the stupid surprise ingredient and to gripe about who didn’t use the Easter bunny in their decoration! 

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, festivus said:

how, I just can't quit you for some reason. Probably because I like bitching. :)

Festivus I love your name.  I am an unapologetic Seinfeld addict.  (one of several tv addictions). 

• Love 5
On 12/12/2018 at 4:16 PM, Enigma X said:

A few episodes back, Nancy hit on a good point with the little bites that Lorraine takes. They are so small that there is no way that she is getting the full flavor of all the ingredients together. Lorraine's small bites bug me way more than they should.

I can’t agree with this more.  I just can’t stand the itty bitty bites Lorraine takes.  You cannot possibly get the full flavor of anything with a tiny taste, and if she’s concerned with gaining weight, and that’s why she nibbles, she should never judge a food competition.  Heck, she even breaks cookies into one tiny piece.  

I’m ok with with any of the three finalists.  

• Love 11
5 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

And I doubt these stupid ideas are inspiring home cooks to any degree.  "Hey, I saw the bakers make an apple pan dowdy with Ghost Pepper flavored gummy bears, blackstrap molasses, tequila and the burnt crumb residue from the fryer!  Nancy Fuller said the greasy dregs from the bottom of the oil vat really paired well with the tequila! I'm going to make that when I cater my best friend's baby shower!"

If I could give you bonus stars for this comment, I would.  As it is, I can only say that truer words were never spoken.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, festivus said:

How could I not pick a name that has "Airing of Grievances" as part of the holiday celebrations? In other words, I love to bitch!

Ha! This is exactly what I was going to say when I saw your post. :-)

• Love 3
On 12/12/2018 at 4:16 PM, Enigma X said:

Me, too! Drives me nuts.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, nowornever said:

Maybe a better way to handle the stupid twists is to use the odd ingredient without it ruining your dish.  Instead of hearing "I'm not getting any olive oil," you'd hear "Nice job covering up the olive oil!"

That would mean the show would have to make sense and be sensible though. I wouldn't want to taste olive oil in any cookie I ate. Ick!

• Love 2
On 12/11/2018 at 10:25 PM, Maya said:

I think Sarah’s really talented and I’d be happy to see the “token young person” win for once. 

I like her also. I noticed on ep 5 the Rugelach challenge- when she took hers out of the oven there was a piece of silverware (a tablespoon to be exact) on the cookie sheet! It’s driving me crazy because I have never seen that before! I tried to Google it but NOTHING comes up! Did anyone catch that? Why put a spoon in the oven with your bake goods?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, BakkerK0307 said:

I like her also. I noticed on ep 5 the Rugelach challenge- when she took hers out of the oven there was a piece of silverware (a tablespoon to be exact) on the cookie sheet! It’s driving me crazy because I have never seen that before! I tried to Google it but NOTHING comes up! Did anyone catch that? Why put a spoon in the oven with your bake goods?

Me too. I've caught that on a few of her bakes.  The only thing I can figure is it is an identifier, the sheet pan with the spoon is hers?

I like all three finalists but their cakes looked more like they came from Nailed It contestants than experienced bakers! Anyone who can't make a simple box shape look straight in five hours can miss me. I agree that Lerome's snowman was a bit of a cheat.

I guess taste was the deciding factor since all the presentations were somewhat lackluster.

On to the special ep next week!

Edited by 2727
  • Love 6
On 12/12/2018 at 1:16 PM, Enigma X said:

This. Same here. When the camera pans to her plate of barely eaten food, I wonder how she can provide any opinions on any of it. Maybe she doesn’t want people to see her eat but it is very weird. 

• Love 11

Well damn.  I’m not as ok with Douglas’s win as I thought I would be.

While Duff “wondering” what that burnt flavor was was a bit of a put-on, I really hope that wasn’t the deciding factor.  Don’t forget about your nuts, Lerome!

Also Douglas’s tree inside was sloppy.

If I ever go to Lerome’s Ritz-Carlton I'm going to order a million of his pastries.  Now I just have to remember where that is.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 6

Douglas was smart to put the white chocolate on the outside rather than fondant. I have rarely seen fondant look good and stay looking good on a cake competition. Other than the ugly diagonal stripes, his cake was lovely and festive. Larome’s cake was ugly. I appreciate that he was thinking of his daughter but it was not festive and I agree with previous comments that the snowman was sort of cheating. And it was also made of yucky fondant. Sarah’s cake looked messy. Hated Lorraine’s dress. What were those handkerchief-looking things on the bottom? 

• Love 15

I just found this series and have been watching randomly, probably out of order. 

I liked all 3 finalists, but I thought Sarah seemed really talented. I read in one of the posts that Doug seemed to have this from the beginning. Why is that? I liked Doug and was fine with him winning.

I was expecting amazing cakes for the finale. I was disappointed in the ornaments and the cakes  

So this isn’t just a holiday thing? It’s in through the year? I can definitely get addicted to this show!

• Love 4

I am very happy with Doug winning.  I thought he was clearly the most experienced and skilled and he did very well on most of the tasks.  I didn't care for Sarah and her red box stack wasn't very appealing IMO.  I like Lerome a lot.  He has a great personality and he's very creative.  I'll bet that he'll be as expert as Doug in a few more years.  

I like Jesse but darn; he needs a new dresser.  I don't care if too tight suit coats are trendy.  They just look like they don't fit.  And did he have brown shoes on with a grey suit?  :0

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, mlp said:

I am very happy with Doug winning.  I thought he was clearly the most experienced and skilled and he did very well on most of the tasks.  I didn't care for Sarah and her red box stack wasn't very appealing IMO.  I like Lerome a lot.  He has a great personality and he's very creative.  I'll bet that he'll be as expert as Doug in a few more years.  

I like Jesse but darn; he needs a new dresser.  I don't care if too tight suit coats are trendy.  They just look like they don't fit.  And did he have brown shoes on with a grey suit?  :0

With 2 twenty something sons, I’m used to it. And it took me a while to get used to the brown shoes. My one son is a fashion nut and wore a tighter navy suit and brown shoes when he got married this summer. Black shoes....never!

I was shocked to see Jesse Palmer as a host! Last I saw him, he was the Bachelor. How did he end up on the Food Network?!

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

Me too. I've caught that on a few of her bakes.  The only thing I can figure is it is an identifier, the sheet pan with the spoon is hers?

Thanks!  At least I know I’m not crazy.😳I could not find one single thing on Google that had anything to do with that so your answer sounds right to me! 👨‍🍳

I like Douglas but I was rooting for Lerome. That being said...I didn't love any of their cakes. The cake Douglas made was OK but it was sloppier than his usual work. I was OK with Larome's and liked it best out of the 3, but it was nothing amazing. Sarah's was just boring.

Were they all just beat by the end? It must be grueling. They are all very talented but this wasn't the most exciting finale. But I would totally love to see either Douglas or Larome show up again.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

If I ever go to Lerome’s Ritz-Carlton I'm going to order a million of his pastries.  Now I just have to remember where that is.

He works in Naples, FL. And the winner of the Halloween show works at the Ritz Carlton in Sarasota, FL...only about 115 miles apart. Shows that the Ritz Carlton hires the best at what they do!!

Edited to add that I thought it was hilarious when Sarah mentioned that Lorraine didn't look like a judge on a baking show since she was built so slim...guess we aren't the only ones who notice!

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 5