Type keyword(s) to search

Season Five Episode Talk

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:36 PM, Sherrytheannoying said:

Believe me, I talked about a ton of stuff other than what country I’m from, it was just that they opted not to air that stuff.

I’m actually a pretty good baker. You should take a look at some of my work. My apologies that I made “home bakers” look bad. We should try a bake off ☺️

I think you'd be brilliant in one of the bake off shows!

14 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

Does a cake cooled in a blast chiller lose texture?  I don't know, never had one.  I would think it may not be as moist?  

It shouldn't. Most professional bakeries freeze cakes in between working with them. Unless they were super behind schedule or something, if you order a cake, it almost certainly was in a freezer at some point between coming out of the oven and being frosted/decorated.

• Love 4
On 11/28/2018 at 3:41 AM, kj4ever said:

Freezing actually traps the moisture in the cake.  When I make cupcakes I wrap them in plastic wrap as soon as I can bare to touch them and throw them in the freezer. 

Wow, you bake in the nude?...sorry...couldn't resist. :-)

I couldn't believe they'd eliminate Lerome, but Julia's cake was very sad. Even though I've never had a white Christmas I know not to use green grass!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, carrps said:

Wow, you bake in the nude?...sorry...couldn't resist. :-)

I couldn't believe they'd eliminate Lerome, but Julia's cake was very sad. Even though I've never had a white Christmas I know not to use green grass!

Doesn't everyone? :)

• Love 5
On 11/21/2018 at 11:49 AM, Sherrytheannoying said:

There’s an “e” at the end of my last name....and the ever so talented guys name is, Lerome.

Here... I corrected those for you.  Sherry "Clarke" and "Lerome"  And... Still rooting for Lerome and Douglas.  Bye Bye!

• Love 1
On 2018-11-23 at 9:52 AM, Sherrytheannoying said:

It was quite challenging and all I kept thinking while under pressure, under time limits, was “OMG!!!! I have the least amount of experience, the judges HAVE to taste all elements, what am I still doing here?!?!” 😂 there were other things that went sideways during that challenge, but weren’t aired....at least I got a good laugh out of it 😂

Yessss!!! A nice apple cinnamon cake donut and a coffee are, in my opinion, a great combo. But unfortunately, it wasn’t a nice warm, apple-spice syrup🤦‍♀️ I’m gonna buy a pack of green apple jolly ranchers and pop one in my coffee....for old times sake 😂

That’s what I said afterward “SHOULD I HAVE THROWN IN REAL APPLE.?!?!” I was so mad at myself. Of course, after the pressure leaves, I came up with all of these other ideas, but I’m certain that the combo would never be a winning taste 😂 Yes, the whipped cream....electric green 😂 I made an espresso pate sucree and an espresso pastry cream, tossed those toasted biscotti crumbs on top and had the whip-describing it as a “latte”. I admit, the tart (without that apple), was pretty devine. Surprisingly subtle without being “in your face” in taste. The tart was consistent in thickness, delicate and the pastry cream was silky. Sorry, I digress😂

It was EXTREMELY surreal to be on the show. On the set. Baking there. I have always sat in my pjs, watching these shows from my couch. Are you in CT?

I get it. I have a whole new perspective now, with the experience. But I really am that obnoxious (playing drums on a bowl and animal calls) 🤷‍♀️

You’d definitely hate my hair now 😂😂😂

Thank you😊

Although I can’t discuss production, I’d say, leaving the show, I didn’t have a fav judge. Duff offered me some helpful tips, (when I got the call that they chose me for the show, Lorraine intimidated me), Lorraine surprised me the most because she was more constructive-as a positive (which helped me and being a self taught baker-I took it all in) and Nancy, that woman, it was more of a maternal thing. I just wanted to hug her.

Yessss!! Great British Bake-off!!!!! 🙌🙌

Please sign up for the Great Canadian baking show...you won’t get nasty syrup there.

• Love 1

I wonder when are the interviews (when they talk directly to the camera about what they are doing) is done? Before or after they are judged and know whether the judges liked it? Does time stop for all contestants while this is happenning. I am sure this is also something that can't be discussed.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Sherrytheannoying said:

We’re not allowed to discuss all of that jazz, but we’re all on Instagram. Maybe some photos could be some insight to your thoughts😉 What I can say, personally, I slept for 17 hours when I got home. I still can’t believe that😂 

I don't know why they want to keep it secret. It's pretty obvious that you guys aren't sitting around for an entire week waiting to film another episode. In GBBO, they really do have a week in between, but the UK is a lot smaller than the US, and it'd be a real pain in the you-know-what for everyone to go home and come back again week after week here. Just because the show is broadcast only once a week, I don't know why they think they think it's important to "fool" people into thinking it's taped only once a week. Good for you for not spilling those oh so secret beans, Sherry!

P.S. I get such a kick out of your handle. Proof of your great sense of humor!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Is there a forum for the Holiday Gingerbread Showdown?  Searching by keyword didn’t help me find anything!  Thanks in advance!

I don’t think anyone has requested a forum for it. Unless the mods object, I wonder if we could discuss it in the Small Talk thread for Holiday Baking Championship since they both are holiday-related and are supposed to involve baking. There doesn’t seem to be enough episodes for a forum, but I could be wrong! 

On 11/28/2018 at 6:44 AM, jlc said:

My final thought, and I am sure very unpopular thought - Now that Lerome was in the bottom two, maybe he will quit being so pompous and arrogant. I really liked him in the beginning, but now his hubris is getting on my nerves!

Interesting, because I think Lerome and most of the bakers seem pretty mellow and not cocky at all. The only one besides Julia who seems kind of arrogant to me is Sarah. She's talented though. 

I'm still hoping Lerome pulls out a win, but Douglas seems pretty consistent.

I love Dan and Chantal too. I thought Chantal's cake last episode was lovely. 

Lorraine's tiny bites are annoying, as well as Nancy's obsession with booze. I wish Ron Ben-Israel would come back to the Food Network.

• Love 4

Lerome cracked me up with his gingerbread "leprechauns" made from what was so obviously a reindeer head cutter. I like glasses guy (Doug?) but he should have been the one to go this week. Dan crapped the bed in both heats but his tiramisu was more tiramisu-like than Doug's sorry little dessert languishing at the bottom of that trifle dish.

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Lerome cracked me up with his gingerbread "leprechauns" made from what was so obviously a reindeer head cutter. I like glasses guy (Doug?) but he should have been the one to go this week. Dan crapped the bed in both heats but his tiramisu was more tiramisu-like than Doug's sorry little dessert languishing at the bottom of that trifle dish.

I initially thought it was an octopus. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Maya said:

They all seemed like trifles to me, not tiramisu.

Sicilian here, tiramisu is kind of like a trifle, but more specific in that it asks for lady fingers, coffee, brandy, mascarpone as the layers. Being that they had them change some of those, they could have easily called it a trifle episode.

Rugelach....I've done it because I have some Jewish customers who are not Kosher. But to ask for that seemed a little off. Even more off was some saying they didn't know what it was, but knew it had cream cheese-except Sarah who heard it.

• Love 2

I knew exactly what that cookie cutter was the second Larome grabbed it, but that whole thing seemed contrived.  

Douglas dodged a bullet on this one, but I like him and am glad he's staying. This is the point where I always wish it wasn't an elimination game.  

We get it.  Nancy likes bourbon.  Good lord.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Jillybean said:

If this doesn't prove there is some kind of fix in I don't know what would.  Don't get me wrong out of the two I also would rather see Doug continue, but there is no way in hell Dan's was worse than that half full gelatinous mess that was Doug's dessert.  They are supposed to start with a clean slate each round, but that was obviously not true here.  They don't get to see the critiques of the other people's desserts, so Dan probably assumed Doug's was delicious.  He had to be PISSED when he watched this last night.

Lerome is my dude to win, but I must admit that Sarah is consistently doing better and better.  I really like this group. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, luvapickle said:

Rugelach....I've done it because I have some Jewish customers who are not Kosher. But to ask for that seemed a little off. Even more off was some saying they didn't know what it was, but knew it had cream cheese-except Sarah who heard it.

Is there something inherently non-kosher about them?

11 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Something about Sarah just bugs me. I thinks it's her arrogance.

I am "all in" for Lerome to win.  I find him to be talented, warm and endearing.  Sarah is increasingly "cutesy" and flirty so she can go anytime.  Doug is blah to me and I really like Chantal a lot. 

• Love 10

Sometimes I surprise myself at who I end up rooting for and this time it's Sarah. I think she's consistently been the best and I like her personality. That probably means she's doomed now. 

3 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

All of the judges on many of these competition shows bug me when they give the bakers/chefs a challenge.  First, they have to follow the challenge dossier or theme.  Next they are given a barely attainable time limit.  Finally, they often get thrown a senseless or corporate sponsored "twist" halfway through the time allotted.  So when I'm asked to create my  interpretation of a 4 tiered Hanukkah- themed wedding cake with 4 types of meringue, 2 different fillings AND (here comes the twist!) edible replicas of each of the 20 members of the wedding party in which I must incorporate Panera's Broccoli Cheddar Soup, AND I have 90 minutes to complete it...when I carry this monstrosity to the table & serve you a slab, DO. NOT. DARE. tell me "I know you could do better than this!  You're a much better baker than this!  I've seen better decorating from you!"  You will have Broccoli Cheddar infused cream puffs permanently lodged in every orifice of your body.  Either give them whacky ingredients to see what magic can be done OR let them do their best amazing work without the nonsense.  And provide enough time to either type to allow for good work.  Edit the sh** out of the filming to fit it into an hour long show if necessary, but I'd prefer to see excellent finished pieces.

This is a thing of beauty. If I wasn't obsessed so much with watching people bake I would dump these holiday baking shows. It seems more important for them to highlight stupid quirks and dumb twists than to let us actually see a nice finished product. There's a reason why people love The Great British Baking Show so much.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Not with them, but my kitchen is not deemed Kosher.  Interesting though their are those who prefer the non-dairy traditional rugelach. Not so sure how any of the contestants would have faired with that :)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, festivus said:

Sometimes I surprise myself at who I end up rooting for and this time it's Sarah. I think she's consistently been the best and I like her personality. That probably means she's doomed now. 

I  like her, too, and don't find her arrogant at all.

My grandmother made a type of rugelach with poppy seed filling that I LOVED. Such a shame she was 2K miles away!

• Love 4

I really liked Dan but I have to agree that he wasn't going to win.  I figured he'd doomed himself for good when he put store-bought candies on top of his ersatz tiramisu.  Doug has been a front runner all along so that gave the judges a reason to save him instead of Dan.  

Sarah is increasingly "cutesy" and flirty so she can go anytime.

My opinion also.  I haven't liked her since the beginning and she does keep getting more annoying.  I will admit, though, that she did well this week.  

Lerome is personable and creative while Doug is more highly skilled IMO.  At this point, I can't decide which one I'd prefer to see win.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, carrps said:

I  like her, too, and don't find her arrogant at all.

My grandmother made a type of rugelach with poppy seed filling that I LOVED. Such a shame she was 2K miles away!

Oh my that sounds so good. I grew up eating poppy seed roll/cake and I love that filling. 

• Love 1
On 12/4/2018 at 10:12 AM, luvapickle said:

Not with them, but my kitchen is not deemed Kosher.  Interesting though their are those who prefer the non-dairy traditional rugelach. Not so sure how any of the contestants would have faired with that :)

Right -- the ingredients themselves are kosher, in that meat and dairy are not paired, but the kitchen (and all the pots and pans) isn't.  I want to know how they all knew rugelach has cream cheese in the dough when only one of the bakers even knew what it was.  And frankly, if Duff wasn't one of the judges, I doubt they would've even HAD a Chanukah challenge.  All that being said, I adore rugelach, and I found some of the new spins on it pretty interesting.  The filling is generally sugar, nuts and sometimes raisins.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 4

The rugelach challenge was a repeat from S2. They aired that episode a couple of hours before this one. In that challenge they didn't give the bakers an ingredient, but they told them they couldn't use the usual rugelach fillings and provided a list of what they couldn't use. They were also required to make coconut macaroons or something like that. It's pretty stupid that these bakers hadn't at least skimmed the challenges from the previous shows since they do repeat. Duff usually gets some kind of Hannukah challenge. Why wouldn't they brush up on some traditional Jewish baked treats before appearing on the show? 

• Love 3

I had never heard the word rugelach before last night and when the ep first started I thought they were saying arugula.

I thought it was so cute when Nancy offhandedly held out her fork so Jesse could taste the dessert.

I know it appeared that Douglas half-assed it but it does seem like they are going by body of work and in that instance Dan was the right call.  

This is a good top four.  A top three of Lerome, Douglas and Chantal would be ideal.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, dleighg said:

If they weren't made in a kosher kitchen, they'd be inherently not kosher, but besides that a lot of times folks wouldn't want the cream-cheesy ones because it contains dairy. So if you're serving a meal containing meat, for example, dairy won't be in the dessert for that meal. That's the context I usually run into for non-dairy rugelach.

6 hours ago, Rammchick said:

And frankly, if Duff wasn't one of the judges, I doubt they would've even HAD a Chanukah challenge.  All that being said, I adore rugelach, and I found some of the new spins on it pretty interesting.  The filling is generally sugar, nuts and sometimes raisins.

It's still not really a Hanukkah challenge. Rugelach aren't fried. There's nothing Hanukkah about them. Unless you stick a dreidel on it. I also call foul on the requirement that they be decorated. I understand that's pretty much always a part of every challenge on this show, but I've never in my life seen decorated rugelach other than maybe some colored sugar on top. They're shoehorning it. I guess I like that they did something not-Christmas, definitely do enjoy a brief moment away from all the Christmas, but I prefer the show not pretend everything both Jewish and dessert equals Hanukkah dessert. It's not, unless you're my nana who always had rugelach around, in which case OK fine, an every day food becomes a Hanukkah food when today is Hanukkah. If they'd specified "decorate it for Hanukkah" that might've covered both the "why must this be decorated" and "this is not a Hanukkah food" issues, but they didn't seem to be making that the requirement.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I thought it was so cute when Nancy offhandedly held out her fork so Jesse could taste the dessert.

She's been feeding him all season.  I think it's adorable.  Not to mention the host doesn't seem to get to taste the dishes, at least on camera.

Why was Dan's ruglach with the colored "icing strings" not decorated but Sarah's was?  I mean, they both had decor of some sort on the ruglach and then also plate decor.  I guess they liked the Star of David better?

Those were not tiramisu, at least not any tiramisu I've ever eaten.  Larome was beeming when he picked coffee, I would be too!  Now, if he had only gotten vanilla.  And his maple gelee was genius but not tiramisu like at all.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, mojoween said:

I had never heard the word rugelach before last night and when the ep first started I thought they were saying arugula.

I know it appeared that Douglas half-assed it but it does seem like they are going by body of work and in that instance Dan was the right call.  

This is a good top four.  A top three of Lerome, Douglas and Chantal would be ideal.

Yeah, yeah, yeah!  Perfect!  No Sarah. But I wouldn’t be surprised if she won though. 

16 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

The rugelach challenge was a repeat from S2. They aired that episode a couple of hours before this one. In that challenge they didn't give the bakers an ingredient, but they told them they couldn't use the usual rugelach fillings and provided a list of what they couldn't use.

Thank you! When the challenge started I kept thinking I had already seen this challenge and was this a rerun episode. I was a bit confused. (But I also watched the marathon which is why I had just seen the season 2 episode). 

14 hours ago, Destiny74 said:
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

She's been feeding him all season.  I think it's adorable.  Not to mention the host doesn't seem to get to taste the dishes, at least on camera.

I hadn't noticed it before this episode so I also thought it was cute. 

I'm the opposite of most of you on Sarah.  I wasn't sure about her at the beginning, but now I've grown to like her.  I was okay with "I hope it's me" from the previous episode.  

• Love 3

I also like Sarah. She and Larome seem to have a good relationship also...he helped her with Duff's "unknown" ingredient. I also liked how she kept her two ingredients when she could have traded and used a flavor she knew.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, theatremouse said:

It's still not really a Hanukkah challenge. Rugelach aren't fried. There's nothing Hanukkah about them. Unless you stick a dreidel on it. I also call foul on the requirement that they be decorated. I understand that's pretty much always a part of every challenge on this show, but I've never in my life seen decorated rugelach other than maybe some colored sugar on top. They're shoehorning it. I guess I like that they did something not-Christmas, definitely do enjoy a brief moment away from all the Christmas, but I prefer the show not pretend everything both Jewish and dessert equals Hanukkah dessert. It's not, unless you're my nana who always had rugelach around, in which case OK fine, an every day food becomes a Hanukkah food when today is Hanukkah. If they'd specified "decorate it for Hanukkah" that might've covered both the "why must this be decorated" and "this is not a Hanukkah food" issues, but they didn't seem to be making that the requirement.

You're right as far as that's concerned -- rugelach isn't strictly a Chanukah pastry.  They should have made donuts.  However, they did have the required klezmer music ;)

20 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

You're right as far as that's concerned -- rugelach isn't strictly a Chanukah pastry.  They should have made donuts.  However, they did have the required klezmer music ;)

They did the donuts last season, I think.  I know I've seen a "jelly donut" (insert actual Jewish word here) challenge.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, theatremouse said:

. I also call foul on the requirement that they be decorated. I understand that's pretty much always a part of every challenge on this show, but I've never in my life seen decorated rugelach other than maybe some colored sugar on top.

Seriously. That bugged me. I don't like overly sweet desserts, and rugelach with icing on top is just plain weird. But you're right...they shoehorned it.

30 minutes ago, Destiny74 said:

They did the donuts last season, I think.  I know I've seen a "jelly donut" (insert actual Jewish word here) challenge.

Have they done hamentashen? I'm not a big fan -- they did a pizza hamentashen (WTF?) on Chopped a week or so ago. It look really gross.

Those tiramisu looked really weird in the trifle bowls. Doug's was more a normal tiramisu depth, but it looked weird in the trifle bowl. Everybody else leaned to a more trifle-ish dessert probably because of the vessel. I'm not a big fan of gelées, so I don't think I'd have like Lerome's. Sara is probably the most talented decorator. Hers looked really nice without interfering too much with the tiramisu and making it look tacky.

The non-pareils were so sad. Wa-waaaaa.

32 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Yeah, they did sufganiyot last season. It screamed "we're cycling through the Jewish desserts we know of".

Thank you for the correct term.  

18 minutes ago, carrps said:

Have they done hamentashen? I'm not a big fan -- they did a pizza hamentashen (WTF?) on Chopped a week or so ago. It look really gross.

Not as an official challenge. The big, hulking guy on the first season made one for a cookie challenge  and Duff liked it.

The more I think about it, I think production told them all to make their tiramisu in the trifle bowls.  They all used practically the same bowl. I've never seen it that way.  I think production wanted a trifle but didn't want to call it a trifle challenge because they had a trifle challenge last season (or the season before, didn't they?).  

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:32 AM, BusyOctober said:

Nancy continues to annoy me with every sentence she utters. So tired of hearing "I can't taste the X" or "I'm not getting the X...are any of you getting the X?" I also can't stand the way she holds her fork- the exaggerated extended pinky looks so affected.  Unless she has rheumatoid arthritis or an invisible splint keeping that digit isolated, tuck the pinky in.  

It's my understanding that pinky fingers extended is either no longer proper but also something to do with syphilis (those who extended their pinky fingers usually had it...it affects the hands.)  Is Nancy trying to tell us something?  Also, has she said, "yummy yummy in my tummy tummy tummy" yet?  I loathe her.

• Love 1

One thing that bugged me a bit was they were really trouncing the baker who made the tiramisu with madeleines saying the dessert has to be light and fluffy, and yet they were a-ok with Lerome's gelee, which isn't light and fluffy.  What?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Biosynth said:

One thing that bugged me a bit was they were really trouncing the baker who made the tiramisu with madeleines saying the dessert has to be light and fluffy, and yet they were a-ok with Lerome's gelee, which isn't light and fluffy.  What?

Oh, yeah, I meant to mention that. too.

On 12/4/2018 at 9:32 AM, BusyOctober said:

All of the judges on many of these competition shows bug me when they give the bakers/chefs a challenge.  First, they have to follow the challenge dossier or theme.  Next they are given a barely attainable time limit.  Finally, they often get thrown a senseless or corporate sponsored "twist" halfway through the time allotted.  So when I'm asked to create my  interpretation of a 4 tiered Hanukkah- themed wedding cake with 4 types of meringue, 2 different fillings AND (here comes the twist!) edible replicas of each of the 20 members of the wedding party in which I must incorporate Panera's Broccoli Cheddar Soup, AND I have 90 minutes to complete it...when I carry this monstrosity to the table & serve you a slab, DO. NOT. DARE. tell me "I know you could do better than this!  You're a much better baker than this!  I've seen better decorating from you!"  You will have Broccoli Cheddar infused cream puffs permanently lodged in every orifice of your body.  Either give them whacky ingredients to see what magic can be done OR let them do their best amazing work without the nonsense.  And provide enough time to either type to allow for good work.  Edit the sh** out of the filming to fit it into an hour long show if necessary, but I'd prefer to see excellent finished pieces.

I have to say, you kind of made me want Panera there. Product placement works.

• Love 6