Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

Resurgent in what measurable way?  I'd like to know.

All last season did was caused me again to question my own intelligence in choosing to watch a show that is obviously mostly appealing to idiots (this also happened during the Bristol Palin seasons).

• Love 5

I think the nail in the coffin was blocking the west coast from voting. I live there and I don't vote, but I feel bad for those who want to vote. It's 5:00 p.m. when the show airs here. Like who is going to pull over during rush hour traffic to vote on a reality show? LOL

• Love 4
On 1/3/2020 at 5:10 PM, truthaboutluv said:

Artem and Nikki are engaged.

These two are a perfect example of why I just laugh and cringe at obviously forced and fake showmances (let's never forget Alan/Alexis or hell Maks/Meryl). Because there was obviously nothing romantic going on between the two when Nikki did the show, because she was still engaged to John Cena.

But I remembered watching one of their rehearsal packages and just getting this feeling that if she wasn't with someone, I could see them being together. They weren't being flirty or anything. It was just this ease they had about them. 

They are now expecting a baby as well.  Nikki's twin sister Brie is also expecting (her second child) - their due dates are around the same time.

I'm happy for them both, especially Nikki as she has wanted to be a mom for a long time but John Cena didn't want them.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

They are now expecting a baby as well.  Nikki's twin sister Brie is also expecting (her second child) - their due dates are around the same time.

I'm happy for them both, especially Nikki as she has wanted to be a mom for a long time but John Cena didn't want them.

I'm happy for them, but I just don't see it lasting. I think she's a walking publicity machine.

• Love 3
On 1/9/2020 at 7:38 AM, Toonces464 said:

They still don't get it..........

Not sure how to frame this as it spoils the results on another reality show.  But one of the  stars of DWTS said "We don't even have a firm pickup for the fall. So I'm clueless as to what the plans are at the network for it. I think they've spoken optimistically about it over the past few months, but there's nothing official yet."

Spoiler alert if you watch that Fox show with funky costumes.

2 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Not sure how to frame this as it spoils the results on another reality show.  But one of the  stars of DWTS said "We don't even have a firm pickup for the fall. So I'm clueless as to what the plans are at the network for it. I think they've spoken optimistically about it over the past few months, but there's nothing official yet."

Spoiler alert if you watch that Fox show with funky costumes.

Spoiler

I knew the Taco was Tom but tonight I was 100% sure. The group song clue was about "salsa" and the friendship bracelet -- KISS and perfect. Nicole was on my favorite season and I remembered her getting the perfect score when she danced to Kiss.

I'm happy for remaining fans, but if it were me, I would've taken this show out back and shot it a few years ago.  I think ABC might drag it along to season 30, do an All-Stars run, and call it a day.  But I'd love to be proven wrong by a gangbusters season.

When I read the news elsewhere, I looked back to when this was appointment TV for me, and I find it difficult to succinctly encapsulate all the changes I've disliked.  I think most of my wish list is unlikely, but if nothing else, I don't think it would be a bad thing if present circumstances lead to a paring-down so that every third performance isn't an overbaked production number.  "Back to basics" could be a philosophy to interest me.

Now, the logistics.  "Let's Dance" has been running in Germany and Sweden since mid-March, neither with a studio audience.  The German contestants have apparently been sequestered together, with one withdrawal due to an illness in his family and a pro missing a week due to his own illness.  The Swedish show has seen three withdrawals (an 80ish singer just before the series started, a TV doctor after he placed dead last in the first week who said he wanted to do his part in the health service, and a comedian who got sick two weeks later) and skipped one week here and two weeks there due to ongoing illness.

If I had to guess, ABC will wait for springtime this time.  Things will, gods willing, be easier then.  It's difficult to imagine they would want to try this fall.  What do we all think?

19 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I'm happy for remaining fans, but if it were me, I would've taken this show out back and shot it a few years ago.  I think ABC might drag it along to season 30, do an All-Stars run, and call it a day.  But I'd love to be proven wrong by a gangbusters season.

When I read the news elsewhere, I looked back to when this was appointment TV for me, and I find it difficult to succinctly encapsulate all the changes I've disliked.  I think most of my wish list is unlikely, but if nothing else, I don't think it would be a bad thing if present circumstances lead to a paring-down so that every third performance isn't an overbaked production number.  "Back to basics" could be a philosophy to interest me.

Now, the logistics.  "Let's Dance" has been running in Germany and Sweden since mid-March, neither with a studio audience.  The German contestants have apparently been sequestered together, with one withdrawal due to an illness in his family and a pro missing a week due to his own illness.  The Swedish show has seen three withdrawals (an 80ish singer just before the series started, a TV doctor after he placed dead last in the first week who said he wanted to do his part in the health service, and a comedian who got sick two weeks later) and skipped one week here and two weeks there due to ongoing illness.

If I had to guess, ABC will wait for springtime this time.  Things will, gods willing, be easier then.  It's difficult to imagine they would want to try this fall.  What do we all think?

American Idol has been renewed so I wonder if they're going to air in the spring?

21 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Back to basics" could be a philosophy to interest me.

Except they say every season they're going back to basics and by the second or third week, they're back to the big production numbers with so many dancers you can't even see the celeb.

I'd also like to see them go back to the days when there was no troupe and just the pro and the celeb on the floor.  I'd also like to see them bring back some of the old pros and mix them in with the new pros. People like Anna, Tony and Louis have been saying for years they would come back for a season if asked, and a mix would satisfy the long time fans of the show, as well as the newer fans who are fans of the former-troupe-turned-pros who? they "befriended" on Twitter trying to get them made pros. 

Oh and while we're at it, how about less focus on Jenna? She doesn't need to be the spotlight female pro just because she married Val.

• Love 6

I believe many people (esp. the west coast) don't care about audience participation (voting) shows anymore.  For one thing, folks on pacific time never have the opportunity to vote. More importantly, DWTS has nothing to do with dancing, but more about popularity. Dancing just happens to be the by-product of a popularity contest.

Personally speaking, I would rather see only the judges vote while the viewing audience just gets to enjoy the dancing and watch the "stars" get better each week. Same should apply to singing competitions.

(edited)

How are they going to pull this off? COVID cases are rising in the LA area. I live in the Bay Area, but things are still largely shut down here.

I heard the Bachelor lady had a dance background, so she should be good. At least they didn't invite any of those two-left-footed male contestants.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

How are they going to pull this off? COVID cases are rising in the LA area. I live in the Bay Area, but things are still largely shut down here.

No audience or a very spread out one?  No dances in a hold?  It’ll be weird. 

• Love 1

I follow People Magazine on Twitter and today they had a story about Chuck Wicks in their timeline. I smiled to myself, thinking of the never-ending debates about "celebrity" when it comes to DWTS. He was a "singer" then, but everyone knows he was only cast because he and Julianne Hough were a couple at the time. 

ABC tapped into the Bachelor franchise for a "star" in its very first season, so that's nothing new, but I do find it a little odd that they're picking Kaitlyn now

• Love 1
10 hours ago, LizDC said:

No audience or a very spread out one?  No dances in a hold?  It’ll be weird. 

The dances will be in hold -- that's a requirement.

I've heard that the parent show Strictly Come Dancing may have the pros and celeb partners self-quarantine together for 14 days before the season starts. I imagine DWTS might do something similar.

• Love 1
On 6/17/2020 at 1:15 PM, boyznkatz said:

I heard the Bachelor lady had a dance background, so she should be good. At least they didn't invite any of those two-left-footed male contestants.

Of course she does 🙄. I guess like with Hannah she'll be the top producer pick and no else should bother thinking of Winning. What they did to ensure crybaby Hannah would win was appaling 

On 6/20/2020 at 7:02 PM, Josh371982 said:

Of course she does 🙄. I guess like with Hannah she'll be the top producer pick and no else should bother thinking of Winning. What they did to ensure crybaby Hannah would win was appaling 

I don't get why they push anyone to win. It's not like any of these folks stay in the limelight after the show is over. There were only a few like Zendaya and Normani who actually became stars. I don't think anyone even remembers Hannah.

19 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I don't get why they push anyone to win. It's not like any of these folks stay in the limelight after the show is over. There were only a few like Zendaya and Normani who actually became stars. I don't think anyone even remembers Hannah.

Between contestants most people have never heard of and manipulated showmances/wins, this show is not the same as it used to be. Every season we read how they're going back to basics and every season it just gets worse and worse. Surely this isn't rocket science, 🙄

• Love 4
On 6/22/2020 at 1:08 PM, boyznkatz said:

Hannah is from the godawful(JMO) Bachelor franchise. Not only did she appear on the Bachelor she got her Own Bachelorette show afterward and apparently has a big fanbase and actually has dancing talent. Kaitlyn is Apparently a great dancer and with the Bachelor fanbase she'll probably win too sadly 

I don't think this has been posted anywhere in this forum yet?  I could have missed something, but I just saw this on Twitter.   It sounds as though this is ABC's choice and not Tom's choice?  I guess?

7 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

I don't think this has been posted anywhere in this forum yet?  I could have missed something, but I just saw this on Twitter.   It sounds as though this is ABC's choice and not Tom's choice?  I guess?

First I've heard of it. I imagine they're trying to film on the cheap, and Tom's salary is too much. Who's going to cohost, Alfonso? That's going to be the death of DWTS. It will be a miracle if they can find a host like Tom. Just film a finale with the best celeb dancers and pros and say farewell with dignity. 

• Love 11

I am free of the shackles of this show now that Tom has been booted. It’s been a weird 15 years, peeps. Some great, some meh, but never recovered from Bobby Bones winning. Adieu! 

• Love 24

Erin’s gone too.

Not sure this is going to help matters.  The hosts are the least of the problems.  The quality of the “stars” is more of an issue. 

• Love 12
(edited)
52 minutes ago, ShaNaeNae said:

If this show wasn’t already on its last 2 legs, they just shot themselves in the foot. “Let’s get rid of Tom, that’s a great idea!” -said no one EVER. 

Couldn’t agree more.  Tom’s humor and warmth are irreplaceable.  Bad move, ABC.

I’m predicting that ABC goes young with hosts and dancers — ie, aiming for the TikTok feel.  Lots of YouTube-famous types.  Ugggghhhhh....

I’d have gotten rid of the judges too if they are letting Tom go.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 14

Ken Jeong may be available.  {ducking}

I hate this new direction.  Despise it.

Whatever the changes, they are guaranteed to save millions in cost for Disney.  Erin is on the cusp of going from being among the busiest folks in media, to having nothing to do at all with the NFL season on the brink.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I’m predicting that ABC goes young with hosts and dancers — ie, aiming for the TikTok feel.  Lots of YouTube-famous types.  Ugggghhhhh....

Yep Tik Tok it is.  I bet it will be Twitch and Allison. I wonder if the judges are next.

• Love 1
Just now, Diana Berry said:

Yep Tik Tok it is.  I bet it will be Twitch and Allison. I wonder if the judges are next.

From what I've heard, Bruno will be back, and he'll only be doing DWTS. Evidently, the weekly commute between Hollywood and London (for Strictly Come Dancing) finally got to be too much for him.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Whatever TikTok is, it surged in popularity when the coronavirus struck and everyone was stuck at home. It's the little videos of people dancing, right, like the new Instagram or Vine? 

• Love 2

Bummer!  Tom was one of the Best Show Hosts on TV....he had wit & charm, great sense of humor, he kept the show moving smoothly even when there were technical issues & such.   I liked Erin too(dont throw tomatoes 🙂  She seemed to enjoy talking to the contestants and since she had been one, she could identify with their emotions.  

• Love 21

Hadn’t paid much attention to this show since the Bobby Bones fiasco, but randomly decided to peek in here only to find Tom is out? These producers are out of their damm minds. He would be the only thing that might have made me take a peek at whatever they end up putting on “next season”.  But nope, not after this, not ever.  They are losing a rare talent by choice. Whatever, show. Bye.

• Love 20
(edited)
45 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

From what I've heard, Bruno will be back, and he'll only be doing DWTS. Evidently, the weekly commute between Hollywood and London (for Strictly Come Dancing) finally got to be too much for him.

It has not been confirmed-confirmed that Bruno will not be returning to Strictly, but it seems improbable that he would be allowed to commute weekly as he usually does without quarantining at either end, even if he felt it was wise / worthwhile to do so.  Forced to choose, I fully expect he would choose DWTS, both because I understand it pays more and because he clearly likes the Hollywood lifestyle.  As you probably know, he started taking a week off Strictly mid-series a couple years ago.  I like to think he's enjoying some marvelous pool parties that week.

I saw the news about Tom on an unrelated forum and genuinely couldn't believe it.  He has long been one of the best things about the show, and I stuck with it a few seasons longer than I might have in no small part because of him.  I agree with pretty much everyone.  What would possess them to think that the hosts are part of the problem?!  After 15 years, this is just wild.

Edited by 853fisher
error
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

That would actually make sense, getting new judges. Getting rid of the hosts doesn't, especially if they're keeping the judges who people have been complaining about for years and see as one of the biggest problems the show has.

I've been thinking they'd stay status quo through a Season 30 and then end it all. Now I'd be surprised if there even is a Season 30. I think this is the final nail in the coffin.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9