Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

I couldn't care less about Erin being gone, but they just made a HUGE mistake in letting Tom go.

What the hell is "smizing" anyway?!

Being able to smile with ur eyes. Its a thing models have to learn to do because smiling is not something they are suppose to do often esp. if ur a high fashion or runway model so they have to find other ways to showcase a smile and be engaging and they use their eyes.

• Useful 1

I've lost interest in this show over the years and that's based solely on who the "stars" will be each season.  It's getting where I don't know who many of them are, so I have zero interest in watching.  Also,  I'm tired of the "my best/worst/saddest moment ever" episodes.  I also dislike the big production numbers behind the "stars" and their partners, with the exception of one or two dance routines.  I find it too distracting.  

I feel bad for Tom and Erin, but I didn't watch the show for them.  I thought Tom was an ass with his comments about Sean Spicer.  As a host, he should at least try to remain neutral when being asked about a particular celebrity that will be participating on the show.  It's called 'tact', Tom.

I'll be interested to see what changes Tyra brings to the show, but more than likely I won't watch.  This ship sailed a long time ago for me!!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, SiobhanJW said:

"I don’t want people to worry. It seems like everything is okay.”"

Oh, Carrie Ann, I'm not worried. I'm done. And if you think everything is okay, after TB has been fired... Talk about trying to spin a silk purse.

I do understand her trying to be diplomatic about it all and talk the company line. I'm sure she wants to keep her job, but. But. Until it's a signed deal, I wouldn't consider it a done deal, were I you, CA. They did Tom dirty, so why not you?

18 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

From what I read, they were in talks with her for awhile about becoming the EP. In my opinion, she took it and then ousted Tom and Erin to put herself in that role as the only host.

I do hope that isn't true, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. Show biz is a cold biz.

I watched ANTM and like TB well enough and even admire her in some respects. But I do think she's an ill fit for DWTS. If diversity was their goal in hiring a new host, why didn't they go with somebody more... current?

Whatever, they've made my decision for me.  For the same reasons Todd S. so eloquently stated in a question at TV Insider, my interest in DWTS has been hanging by a thread for the last few seasons. Firing Tom did the viewers dirty, too, so... Thank you for cutting that thread, new PTB.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Until it's a signed deal, I wouldn't consider it a done deal, were I you, CA. They did Tom dirty, so why not you?

She also has a full-time gig as co-host/moderator of The Talk - which is still filming new episodes, albeit remotely. If DWTS cut her loose, she still has a cushy job.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

She also has a full-time gig as co-host/moderator of The Talk - which is still filming new episodes, albeit remotely. If DWTS cut her loose, she still has a cushy job.

I honestly dont know how The Talk is still up and running. I find the talk show boring and the cohosts have no chemistry like they did before. Carrieanne is not a good cohost because she is way too PC on The Talk. 

• Love 4
On 7/15/2020 at 5:10 PM, Recyclorette said:

Couldn't agree more!  After how mean the Bachelor franchise has become, it was comforting to watch a show that felt almost like family, despite its shortcomings.  I think we'll all have a lot more time on our hands on Monday nights, and very soon!  ABC is imploding.

I'm calling that the producers will do what they can to ensure Kaitlyn from that awful franchise will win this season. Hell they cut James to ensure Hannah would win 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 7/17/2020 at 2:27 PM, Fellaway said:

"I don’t want people to worry. It seems like everything is okay.”"

Oh, Carrie Ann, I'm not worried. I'm done. And if you think everything is okay, after TB has been fired... Talk about trying to spin a silk purse.

Nope.  This show is done, cooked.  The death knell began when they signed that new host contract.  

• Love 11
3 hours ago, vdw84 said:

Do anyone even know how the format is going to be for the upcoming season? I seriously doubt its going to be normal show format because of the covid 19.

How about Line Dancing With the Stars? Six feet apart, of course. 😉

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, catlover79 said:

How about Line Dancing With the Stars? Six feet apart, of course. 😉

Honestly, dwts should canceled dwts for their fall season. I mean even sytycd cancelled their show for this year. 

• Love 10
On 7/20/2020 at 12:20 AM, vdw84 said:

Honestly, dwts should canceled dwts for their fall season. I mean even sytycd cancelled their show for this year. 

yeah I am sad and bummed that tom will be gone...wayne brady would have been good

• Love 3

Witney just announced she's pregnant, so both she and Lindsay are out for this ridiculous upcoming season. I assume that means Sharna will be back, giving them Cheryl, Emma, Sharna, Peta and Jenna on the female side. Do they have a smaller cast and just go with the five of them? Promote Daniela? Bring in someone new? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

The only way to save this at all is to have Tom come back as a contestant.  Then we could show our love by voting him to the win.

He'd never do it. He only did it once with Ashley Costa one week when Master P did his usual flake-out on her, mainly because he wanted to experience for himself what the celebrity contestants go through in training. They did a rather cute Quickstep routine for the Semi-Finals that season, and he said that after that, he had no desire to actually be a contestant on the show. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

Witney just announced she's pregnant, so both she and Lindsay are out for this ridiculous upcoming season. I assume that means Sharna will be back, giving them Cheryl, Emma, Sharna, Peta and Jenna on the female side. Do they have a smaller cast and just go with the five of them? Promote Daniela? Bring in someone new? 

Im pretty sure they may ask Britt Stewart to be apart of the female pro lineup and I would love that since they have been petitioning her for spot on the female side. I think Daniela would be a good hire as well. I doubt Shauna would want to come back after how they treated her and I couldnt blame her even to im not a huge fan of hers.

12 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

He'd never do it. He only did it once with Ashley Costa one week when Master P did his usual flake-out on her, mainly because he wanted to experience for himself what the celebrity contestants go through in training. They did a rather cute Quickstep routine for the Semi-Finals that season, and he said that after that, he had no desire to actually be a contestant on the show. 

Cool, I need to go find that on You Tube. I'll bet he's a good dancer.

• Love 2
(edited)

Here is Tom's quickstep with Ashly.  This is the jive the second co-host, Samantha Harris, did with Jonathan Roberts a week later.  (As an aside, Samantha was never Tom, but I always have preferred her to Brooke and Erin.)  I thought these were two fun performances!  We won't see Tyra learning how to foxtrot, I'd put money on that.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Without Tom this show is nothing. This tells me that they know nothing about what people want and like.

It just blows my mind. I really felt Tom was going to be one of those hosts that would go down with the show. It was noway they would they would get rid of him or he would leave it. If I was Tom B. I wouldnt even entertain them if they asked me to come back. He really needs to erase any contact from them in his memory and phone.

• Love 7

I can't stand Tyra. She is too LOOK AT ME to host anything. She wants the attention on herself. I guess I will just have to hope that Strictly Come Dancing and Dancing with the Stars Australia stay true to being about ballroom dancing. Tristan and Sharna are already judges in Australia, maybe more of the US cast will show up there! 

• Love 8
(edited)
On 7/23/2020 at 11:00 PM, vdw84 said:

Im pretty sure they may ask Britt Stewart to be apart of the female pro lineup and I would love that since they have been petitioning her for spot on the female side. I think Daniela would be a good hire as well.

I'd prefer higher level ballroom dancers than Britt, especially if it emboldens "Hayley too" support. Dropping them in favor of Daniella (whom the previous producers had declined) was a good move, imho. To be fair, Britt and Hayley have gained proficiency in ballroom, but I'll still be disappointed if they're rehired over more seasoned ballroom dancers. Then again...ballroom expertise may not matter anymore with Tyra as EP.

Nevertheless, I'll nominate Ashley Sanchez: A professional ballroom dancer from Miami with a Dancesport record, who's worked on Mira Quien Baila, and who was top 20 on SYTYCD last year. Or Sofia Ghavami, also from Miami, who's of Puerto Rican and Middle Eastern descent. No competition record because of financial constraints while growing up, but she's young, toured with Maks and Val, and made top 20 on SYTYCD. Or maybe Cheyenne Murillo, a very accomplished ballroom dancer who auditioned for DWTS alongside Britt, but who was passed over by the previous producers.

All three are in the early to mid-20's age range that DWTS prefers for new pros. Given their connections, they're probably already on DWTS' radar (hopefully alongside other BIPOC ballroom dancers). These "nominations" are just my very small attempt to get broader public support behind BIPOC ballroom dancers. Surprisingly, DWTS has never had a Hispanic nor Latina female pro.

FWIW, I'm a Latina viewer (with a bit of ballroom background) who's been more annoyed by the prospect of non-ballroom female pros than the lack of BIPOC female pros...But that's just me. They've done better keeping it ballroom while seeking diversity among the male pros. Technically, Mark (and troupe member Brittany Cherry, fwiw) were of Hispanic descent, and Corky, Jesse DeSoto, and Fabian Sanchez were briefly pros. And now Keo and Brandon. Not great overall, but better than the female side.

Edited by RomanKat
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Here is Tom's quickstep with Ashly.  This is the jive the second co-host, Samantha Harris, did with Jonathan Roberts a week later.  (As an aside, Samantha was never Tom, but I always have preferred her to Brooke and Erin.)  I thought these were two fun performances!  We won't see Tyra learning how to foxtrot, I'd put money on that.

Oh my God, everybody looks so young!  Jonathan was always one of my favorites, so this hits me right in the nostalgias.

• Love 3

That was one of the things I liked best about Jonathan, aside from how patient and gentle he was with all of his celebrity partners. He knew how to choreograph to their strengths and always made a point of showcasing them in the routines rather than pulling the focus away from them. I wonder what he's up to today? I haven't seen or heard anything about him since he and Anna divorced several years ago.

• Love 4
On 7/24/2020 at 6:46 PM, RomanKat said:

I'd prefer higher level ballroom dancers than Britt, especially if it emboldens "Hayley too" support. Dropping them in favor of Daniella (whom the previous producers had declined) was a good move, imho. To be fair, Britt and Hayley have gained proficiency in ballroom, but I'll still be disappointed if they're rehired over more seasoned ballroom dancers. Then again...ballroom expertise may not matter anymore with Tyra as EP.

I understand but the show stirred away so much from top tier ballroom dancers that I think it will be fine. I do think Britt S. more trained that Hayley and she def. is better than Allison was. She has been practicing alot during her break and she seems even more polished than before, so im ok with her taking a spot.

• Love 2

I just read an interview that Alphonso gave and to say that he’s pissed about Tom being fired is an understatement.  Alphonso said Tom was the reason the show was successful, and that he held up many of the dancers as the weeks went by.  He said ABC made a huge mistake by firing Tom and that the way they went about it was awful.  The interviewer asked him if his taking over as host of America’s Funniest Videos from Tom was the same thing.  Alphonso said he went directly to Tom to tell him the were courting him to take over, and Tom told him that he was finished with that show and gave Alphonso his blessing. Alphonso said he would never disrespect Tom by taking over his gig without his permission.

If ABC thinks Tyra will bring the younger demographic, they need to think again.  She’s not exactly young and the 18 to 35 year old group know very little about her.  She hasn’t exactly been in the forefront of anything in the past few years.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 16
14 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I just read an interview that Alphonso gave and to say that he’s pissed about Tom being fired is an understatement.  Alphonso said Tom was the reason the show was successful, and that he held up many of the dancers as the weeks went by.  He said ABC made a huge mistake by firing Tom and that the way they went about it was awful.  The interviewer asked him if his taking over as host of America’s Funniest Videos from Tom was the same thing.  Alphonso said he went directly to Tom to tell him the were courting him to take over, and Tom told him that he was finished with that show and gave Alphonso his blessing. Alphonso said he would never disrespect Tom by taking over his gig without his permission.

If ABC thinks Tyra will bring the younger demographic, they need to think again.  She’s not exactly young and the 18 to 35 year old group know very little about her.  She hasn’t exactly been in the forefront of anything in the past few years.  

Thanks for the inside scoop from Alphonso.  I already agreed with everyone that Tom was the best thing about DWTS.  He was so witty and kept the show going.  Now, you pointed out something else that is great about Tom or Cat from SYTYCD.  They really care about the contestants and want them to have a good experience.  DWTS made a big mistake!!

• Love 8
On 7/24/2020 at 10:45 AM, 853fisher said:

Thanks for the links! I expected Tom to be better, but he's still better than any of those clunky Bachelors. Samantha was good, though. Wow, this show used to be really good. It's sad how bad it is now.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Thanks for the links! I expected Tom to be better, but he's still better than any of those clunky Bachelors. Samantha was good, though. Wow, this show used to be really good. It's sad how bad it is now.

It was a pleasure to see them again, so I was glad to be able to share them. 🙂 I think I read that Samantha's mother was a dancer and she did jazz dance etc herself, as so may up-and-coming young people in entertainment do (and maybe it was mentioned in the clips? it's been a few days now, so who knows?).  Still, that jive was an accomplishment whatever prior experience she had.  She did "Roxie" in Chicago maybe ten years ago and I would've liked to have seen it.  Tom...yes, more performance than technique, but it put a smile on my face!  I really wish the show had been put out of its misery a while ago so we could enjoy the memories.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 7/26/2020 at 5:19 PM, vdw84 said:

I understand but the show stirred away so much from top tier ballroom dancers that I think it will be fine. I do think Britt S. more trained that Hayley and she def. is better than Allison was. She has been practicing alot during her break and she seems even more polished than before, so im ok with her taking a spot.

They especially stirred away during the Mandy Moore era, when they hired Britt, Hayley, and Morgan over Daniella and Cheyenne (whom we know of). Bringing Daniella back last season felt like corrective measures. I'm aware that Britt and Hayley have continued their ballroom training, but so have the ballroom girls. Daniella and Cheyenne became top-ranked professional ballroom dancers after their initial DWTS auditions, for example.

Britt turns 31 in September, and would be the oldest debuting female pro since at least season 2. Daniella, Cheyenne, and the previously suggested SYTYCD dancers are 26 and under.  (Looking to SYTYCD, WOD, Burn the Floor, etc. makes sense because these shows tend to cast for similar traits, training, and personalities as DWTS / SCD, and because their dancers presumably would be interested in DWTS spots.) It's worth noting that Pasha at 33 was the oldest debuting male pro since Corky Ballas, but that possibly was another corrective measure. i.e. I don't expect that they'll now preferentially hire older debut pros.

Aside from age, there's demographics. Assuming Cheryl, Keo, and Brandon return this season, DWTS would have 2 Black, 1 Asian, and zero Hispanic/LatinX pros. Including the host and judges, they have 3 Black, 2 Asian, and zero Hispanic/LatinX cast members.

Bottom line: If the producers are thinking long-term, then they should hire younger pros than Britt. If they're thinking diversity, then they should prioritize hiring Hispanic/LatinX pros. If they intend to uphold their ballroom identity, then they should seek higher level ballroom dancers, or at least younger developing ballroom dancers. If they hire Britt, then I'll take it as a sign that they're moving away from ballroom and/or that they're closing down shop.

I suspect that the online campaigning for Britt has gained strength in part because longtime fans have given up on the show. It feels like a cynical "of the moment" move to have the show quickly address specific shortcomings before disappearing for good. JMO, but if longtime fans were still invested in the show, there would be broader campaigning with longer timelines.

Edited by RomanKat
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, RomanKat said:

They especially stirred away during the Mandy Moore era, when they hired Britt, Hayley, and Morgan over Daniella and Cheyenne (whom we know of). Bringing Daniella back last season felt like corrective measures. I'm aware that Britt and Hayley have continued their ballroom training, but so have the ballroom girls. Daniella and Cheyenne became top-ranked professional ballroom dancers after their initial DWTS auditions, for example.

Britt turns 31 in September, and would be the oldest debuting female pro since at least season 2. Daniella, Cheyenne, and the previously suggested SYTYCD dancers are 26 and under.  (Looking to SYTYCD, WOD, Burn the Floor, etc. makes sense because these shows tend to cast for similar traits, training, and personalities as DWTS / SCD, and because their dancers presumably would be interested in DWTS spots.) It's worth noting that Pasha at 33 was the oldest debuting male pro since Corky Ballas, but that possibly was another corrective measure. i.e. I don't expect that they'll now preferentially hire older debut pros.

Aside from age, there's demographics. Assuming Cheryl, Keo, and Brandon return this season, DWTS would have 2 Black, 1 Asian, and zero Hispanic/LatinX pros. Including the host and judges, they have 3 Black, 2 Asian, and zero Hispanic/LatinX cast members.

Bottom line: If the producers are thinking long-term, then they should hire younger pros than Britt. If they're thinking diversity, then they should prioritize hiring Hispanic/LatinX pros. If they intend to uphold their ballroom identity, then they should seek higher level ballroom dancers, or at least younger developing ballroom dancers. If they hire Britt, then I'll take it as a sign that they're moving away from ballroom and/or that they're closing down shop.

I suspect that the online campaigning for Britt has gained strength in part because longtime fans have given up on the show. It feels like a cynical "of the moment" move to have the show quickly address specific shortcomings before disappearing for good. JMO, but if longtime fans were still invested in the show, there would be broader campaigning with longer timelines.

As a black woman who is a fan of the show, I have been wanting a black female pro for years. Have black male pro dancers is not good enough for me. Britt is not a top tier pro but I feel she deserves a try. If Allison who was basically contemporary dancer got to perform 4 seasons with little to no real ballroom training then by all means Britt will be fine. Tbh, they should have been had more poc on the show as pros whether it was black, asian, latin and so on. It shouldnt have taken racewar for them get a clue to diversify their pros, afterall alot of those dances come from African/latin culture.

• Love 3
On 7/27/2020 at 11:42 AM, realdancemom said:

Thanks for the inside scoop from Alphonso.  I already agreed with everyone that Tom was the best thing about DWTS.  He was so witty and kept the show going.  Now, you pointed out something else that is great about Tom or Cat from SYTYCD.  They really care about the contestants and want them to have a good experience.  DWTS made a big mistake!!

I was going to start watching again because I'm not as busy in the evenings due to Covid, but I know I won't enjoy DWTS the same way without Tom. I'm not the type who refuses to watch if a fave is no longer there, but I do feel that way right now. It would take an absolute favorite celeb of mine joining to get me to watch, and even that I'd probably try to catch their clips online so I don't contribute to ratings. This is the first time I've felt so strongly about a firing. I'm not a Tyra hater, but someone who's been there from the beginning and couldn't have done a better job should never have been fired. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I guess with the Tyra crap being such a flop with the fans they needed something to try to pacify them., so they're trying to bring back Derek?

If so, I hope he says NO.

• Love 7

Jordan Fisher Calls Tyra Banks' Casting "Odd"

He ain't wrong about that. 

Meanwhile, Tyra says : ""Let’s just keep this real, it’s gonna be so next level," she revealed. "We’re doing all this crazy stuff, taking it to the next level, but still keeping the stuff America loves."

How is that possible, Tyra? You already didn't keep Tom...

10 hours ago, MsTree said:

If so, I hope he says NO.

Yes, I can't see how he wouldn't consider coming back several steps backwards in his career trajectory.

• Love 12
49 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

Jordan Fisher Calls Tyra Banks' Casting "Odd"

He ain't wrong about that. 

Meanwhile, Tyra says : ""Let’s just keep this real, it’s gonna be so next level," she revealed. "We’re doing all this crazy stuff, taking it to the next level, but still keeping the stuff America loves."

How is that possible, Tyra? You already didn't keep Tom...

Yes, I can't see how he wouldn't consider coming back several steps backwards in his career trajectory.

It is odd.  As I previously posted, I would not have removed Tom.  He's perfect as the host.  However, if I had to choose, I think Jordan makes more sense than Tyra.  He's already competed and won.  He hosted the junior version of DWTS.  While both are POC, Jordan is younger so he would appeal to the younger demographic if that was their goal.  I guess Tyra is the executive producer so she calls the shots and she can claim that she's the first black female solo host.  Jordan is probably also too busy to do this on a regular basis.

I'm also leery of Tyra claiming this is going to be next level.  That doesn't sound like going back to the basics.  That sounds like more flash and I hope we don't get more drama.

• Love 10

Tyra ruined her own show, America’s Next Top Model, when she changed up the formula. And she really isn’t very relevant anymore, so I don’t really quite get this change.  Tom was always the positive aspect of DWTS through all of the changes.  

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Fellaway said:

She doesn’t possess a strong vocabulary, does she? Lord, she sounds vapid. 

• Love 5
On 7/29/2020 at 10:52 PM, Toonces464 said:

I guess with the Tyra crap being such a flop with the fans they needed something to try to pacify them., so they're trying to bring back Derek?

Hmmm!  Because nothing says diverse like Derek Hough!    

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
On 7/30/2020 at 2:53 PM, alexa said:

Tyra ruined her own show, America’s Next Top Model, when she changed up the formula. And she really isn’t very relevant anymore, so I don’t really quite get this change.  Tom was always the positive aspect of DWTS through all of the changes.  

Exactly. I used to enjoy watching Top Model until Tyra decided that what we really wanted to see was MORE TYRA, so she starting eating up a lot of airtime with her horrific songs being part of the challenges, or her next attempt at a catch-phrase ("potledum" anyone?) or Tyra being the photographer, or mentor, or actress. Ugh.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I don't buy that it was $$ decision. I believe that Tom was picking up a nice check, sure (and he earned every penny of that) 

Had they replaced him with... idk... Raven Simone, or Normani, or...  you get the picture, yeah, I'd understand. Tyra though? please. her ego is too large to go for a "moderate" pay.

idk if it happened before the current movement... but right now it kinda looks like filling the quota with underqualified candidates (to be fair though 99% of people white, black, Asian, whatever, would be underqualified next to Tom, so not REALLY a slight against Tyra. it'll be tough for her, for sure)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, vavera4ka said:

I don't buy that it was $$ decision. I believe that Tom was picking up a nice check, sure (and he earned every penny of that) 

Had they replaced him with... idk... Raven Simone, or Normani, or...  you get the picture, yeah, I'd understand. Tyra though? please. her ego is too large to go for a "moderate" pay.

idk if it happened before the current movement... but right now it kinda looks like filling the quota with underqualified candidates (to be fair though 99% of people white, black, Asian, whatever, would be underqualified next to Tom, so not REALLY a slight against Tyra. it'll be tough for her, for sure)

It is really strange.  There are so many previous contestants, etc, that would have fit the show so much more.  I think they could have watched AGT and could see that she was just barely okay at that job.  So you have her running DWTS now?  If she is going to try to make it all hip with all of these stupid twists, I am out.  I like the traditional ballroom feel of DWTS, and without that, it just doesn't work for me.  And it was already losing viewers, bringing Tyra in does not equal bringing them back.  

• Love 7
5 hours ago, alexa said:

It is really strange.  There are so many previous contestants, etc, that would have fit the show so much more.  I think they could have watched AGT and could see that she was just barely okay at that job.  So you have her running DWTS now?  If she is going to try to make it all hip with all of these stupid twists, I am out.  I like the traditional ballroom feel of DWTS, and without that, it just doesn't work for me.  And it was already losing viewers, bringing Tyra in does not equal bringing them back.  

I've already decided I'm done with the show, but even if I wasn't, that stupid commercial they keep running with her yapping about taking it to the next level would've done it for me.

For years people have been calling for them to go back to basics and the way it was in the early days. We don't want next level, we wanted previous level. And the thing that's gotten the most complaints, the judges, are the only thing left standing? Yeah, thanks but no thanks.

• Love 17